California Department of Motor Vehicles [CA DMV]No registration sent for nearly 6 weeks after smog

R Nov 15, 2020

Disgusting service and they didn't even pretend it was a covid related delay!!!

I paid online for my reg renew back in Aug for an Oct expiry. I didn't see that it needed a star smog until weeks later I got a confirmation of payment and the reminder to get this done. I scheduled it the day before the expiry and it passed straight away (and I wasn't planning to use the car for at least a few weeks with our covid hibernation) but 4 weeks pass and I thought I had better call them.

After holding for 1 hour 48 mins the woman on the phone, understandably wouldn't talk to me as my husbands name is on the reg but luckily he came home at the same time. I said to him that even though it was paid and passed the reg was on put hold until the owner called in!!! she asked him the vin number and reg and year and said OK the reg will be there is 2-3 weeks!!! WT heck.

Why the hell was it on hold with no phone call or letter telling us we needed to call in. The money was paid and cashed by the dmv months before and the smog check passed with flying colors and was sent in the same day 7th oct so why the hell did it take until nov 15th to get my documents!!! Disgusting. There is no excuse dmv (and I have always defended their awful reputation but no more) she said it wasn't even a covid delay, irresponsible.