Complaints & Reviews

ripped off over and over again

I was interested in roomier lodging for my family and my father in law liked his time share so me and my...

bluegreen - new type of thieves

we bought a bluegreen timeshare less than a month ago in gatlinburg, tn. very friendly staff, pleasant experience (because we bought) well, we have changed our minds and were told we could sell it back to them at the cost we bought it. sounds great, since we only have that day to buy it and 30 days to return it. well, that was a big fat lie. i can hardly get in touch with a person when i call all the numbers, some of the extensions they gave us are bogus numbers. i am so ticked off. i know i will be reporting them to the better bussiness bureau. what else i can do, i don't know. i have good credit and now after being scammed, i am so mad i don't care if they turn me over to collections. if we go to court, i may just bring a copy of this website with all the other complaints listed as well. aaarrgh!!! anyone have any advise?

Lord Mankinholes Apr 11, 2008

Its not a scam, just because you have not read and understood what YOU signed for does not make it a scam you signed all the paperwork you ticked all the boxes but did you read them .
    It is very easy to get hold of Bluegreen you only have to look the numbers up on the net .
    Since you never read what you sign then any lawyer is going to have a field day with you and will be booking his next world holiday right after your first meeting

joe Apr 11, 2008

Show a little compassion buddy. You sound like one of those guys who has all the answers. All rise to Mr. All-knowing.

Ronald 1 Apr 27, 2012

Bluegreen is a parasite on this earth, If this timeshare is so great how come they have to force people to stay in it even after it is paid off

Ronald 1 Apr 27, 2012

Why is it not a scam when they wont let you take it home and look it over it would take a lawyer to understand it the contract book i have is about one quarter thick would take quite a long time to read were told we didn't need to read it there word was there bond

rude, liars, rip offs

Spring of 2007 a telemarketer began calling offering us a special deal at Blue Green Resorts. After about the 10th call of my wife and I tossing it back and forth with talk to my husband to talk to my wife, I finally talked to the telemarketer. She made a great offer for $250.00 we would have 3 days /2 nights all inclusive vacation including shows and meals at one of Blue Green Resorts premier resorts.
This was too good to be true, and the first and last question I asked was if this was a time share promotional offer and she responded several times that it was not. It was simply a vacation package being offered by Blue Green Resorts, at a location of our choice at any of their resorts which included Hilton Head North Carolina. It was all inclusive with the exception of travel. We had a year to use the vacation.
In 1999 we purchased such a package to Branson Mo, and had a great time .. NO TIME SHARE
When we finally ( three months later) received our vacation package from Blue Green Resorts it was a time share.
We were out $250.00 so we decided to keep the package and take a trip to the Blue Green Resort at Hilton Head.
Last week we decided we had some free time and would use our package. First thing we were told was that we had purchased a Branson Vacation and that was where we would have to go.
We said okay to Branson and were given three days and two night at the Raddison in Branson. ( I have copies of the reservations documents sent to us by Blue Green)
When we arrived we were told that we could not stay at the Raddison. We were told that the Raddison had no rooms available, my wife countered this with she had checked on the reservations before we left home earlier that day and they confirmed that we had reservations, then the VERY RUDE, young man told us that the Raddison was a piece of [censored], and the Travel Lodge was a much nicer hotel, no amount of arguing would get them to allow us to keep the Raddison Reservation.
We checked into the Travel Lodge, which possibly had been closed up for the winter and just reopened. It smelled very musty, ( we both were suffering from Allergies) There were spiders and spider webs. It was not up to the standard of the Raddison. It actually was not up to the standard of most Branson Lodgings.
We took the 90 minute tour which lasted 2and 1/2 hours, and was treated very rude when we told them we were not interested in buying a time share, We were even told how much we would regret not buying if one of us died and we didn't have vacation memories to sustain us.
We finally got out of there and returned to the REWARDS CENTER for our show tickets and meal vouchers.
The tickets was two tickets off THEIR LIST ..Which was Elvis Impersonations etc, or shows that were not even open yet.
The meal was for a barbecue meal at a bar that looked like a biker bar, the building looked as if it was about to fall down.
My wife finally asked just what our $250.00 was suppose to be for. We were told we had never paid anything. I have the Credit Card reciept where the money was taken from out Visa account.
We are not happy, and I plan to use the internet to warn people to stay away from Blue Green Resorts.

• Cl
    Clint Brooks Apr 22, 2008

A handful of pissed off people and 180, 000 happy customers...
    See a trend here? Whiners!

JARVIS Jun 03, 2008

If the $250.00 charge was not valid, why didnt you dispute the charge with your credit card company? Blue Green offers quality gifts for your time of the sales presentations, and does give you whatever they promise. If you were given Elvis tickets and a BBQ dinner, its because thats what you agreed to accept BEFORE going to the presentation. People need to learn how to just say no, and get up to leave after 90 minutes. Why would you stay 2 and a half hours if you were not interested? Think about it. I bet you ate that BBQ dinner didnt you?

Savvy Shopper99 Jul 15, 2009

Blue Green is the biggest joke! Any one who researches these scammers all hear the same thing. Go on ebay an you can buy 10, 000 worthless Blue/Green points for $100! Good luck using them, there will never be any openings.

Save your money and take the vacations that you want to take! Why would you pay these loser idiots $15, 000 or $30, 000 to take 1 week per year?

30k! and you can have some great vacations without all the B.S.

Avoid Blue Green at all cost!

maintenance bill at blue green!

I own points at Blue green resorts, I used to have weeks. I was conned into converting to points by their...

scam

My husband received a call from this company offering a wonderful 3 night vacation package for our whole...

scam and rip off!

We were mailed some information about Bluegreen telling us we won four free airline tickets and a cruise and a free visa card and a free dinner. All we had to do was listen to a forty-five min. presentation. They keep us there three hours and we finally said yes after they promised us a free Florida vacation. Everytime we tried to set up our vacation nothing was available. Nobody returned our telephone calls. We never got the free gifts, only a fifty dollar visa card.

Now we are paying a yearly fee, for what we don't know. We are trying to sell, but no help is coming from Bluegreen. We decided to stop paying the monthly payments. Bluegreen turned us over to a collection agency and now we have one bad thing on our credit report. We are still trying to get out of this nightmare. If Bluegreen calls on you, run away from them as fast as possible.

andee Mar 15, 2008

Have you gotten out of your nightmare yet, I'm Having the SAME ONE, only I'm now trying to purchase a house and with this nonsense on my credit, i'm having the hardest time! I need a way out as well, if you have found out any info on getting out PLEASE let me know! This HOUSE is a REal thing for me my husband and two Kids, we need a house TO Live in!!!

JARVIS Jun 03, 2008

Who are you people trying to get over on?! Blue-Green is far from a scam. If you are paying a monthly payment to them it is because you chose to purchase the time share. It is a very formal process, and is actually considered real estate; therefore your payments are considered a mortgage. There is no way on earth, let me repeat NO WAY you could have "bought this offer blind". I am also a Blue-Green owner, and it is completely legitimate as well as a great value. My family and I use their resorts several times a year, and this is one of the best purchases we have ever made. Not only must you agree to the financing, you actually have to choose an offer that best suits your needs as your stays are based on a points system. So, the moral of this email is this: Blue Green does not scam anyone--if you are an owner of their property, it is because you chose to do so and knew exactly what you were buying. If anyone out there doesnt believe me, just go sit through one of their presentations and speak with a sales person. You will see for yourself. Yeah, I must admit they can be a bit pushy during the sales presentations, but it is a "sales" job, and why wouldnt they be persistent? Those of you who say you were scammed or this is a negative mark on your credit report: YOU NEED TO START PAYING YOUR BILLS AND BE RESPONSIBLE FOR THE OBLIGATIONS IN WHICH YOU AGREE TO. Im sure you enjoyed the free gift card or cash they gave you just for touring the property and listening to the presentation. If you didnt want to make such a large purchase, all you have to say is "NO". I took the promotions 3 times and declined before I decided to purchase.

RobinAnn Collins Nov 04, 2008

Hey ah...Jarvis, read it and weep!!

HARRISBURG - Attorney General Tom Corbett today announced lawsuits today against four Florida-based companies accused of illegally marketing vacation packages, using "free" airline ticket offers and other worthless prizes to lure consumers into aggressive and deceptive timeshare presentations.

Corbett said consumer protection lawsuits were filed against Bluegreen Corporation, Bluegreen Resorts, Bluegreen Vacations Unlimited, Inc. and Great Vacations Destinations, Inc., all of Boca Raton, Florida. Bluegreen contacted consumers by phone and through kiosks at shopping malls, fairs, and festivals throughout Pennsylvania, and also operates full-time sales facilities in Hershey and King of Prussia.

"Virtually any consumer with a checkbook and a pulse allegedly qualified as a 'winner' in these promotions, " Corbett said. "Unsuspecting consumers who believed they were contest winners were actually drawn into a high pressure bait-and-switch campaign designed to push timeshare vacation packages costing thousands of dollars."

Corbett said more than 5, 700 Pennsylvania residents purchased Bluegreen timeshares, with many paying $20, 000 to $40, 000 or more for packages that violated Pennsylvania's Consumer Protection Law, the Real Estate Licensing and Registration Act, the Telemarketer Registration Act and other consumer regulations.

Phony Prizes
    Corbett said that Bluegreen representatives allegedly called consumers who believed they were entering contests and other promotions promising cars, cash and vacations.

According to the lawsuit, consumers were told that they had not won the "grand prize, " but had been selected to receive other items, like free airline tickets. Consumers were also promised free gasoline and meals when they collected their prize, if they attended a 90 minute timeshare presentation.

Corbett said the lawsuit alleges that consumers who were contacted by Bluegreen were not actually randomly selected prize winners. Instead, virtually everyone who entered the contests was contacted and falsely told that they were a prize winner.

In one case, Corbett said a consumer informed a Bluegreen representative that the person they were trying to reach did not live at that address. The consumer was told that it wasn't a problem - they would give her a prize too.

High Pressure Sales and False Advertising
    Corbett said that in order to collect their "prizes, " consumers were required to schedule an appointment with a Bluegreen sales representative. In some cases, consumers who believed they would be attending a 90 minute timeshare presentation were actually subjected to relentless marketing pitches that lasted five hours or more.

According to the lawsuit, numerous deceptive statements were made to consumers during these presentations in an effort to get them to sign contracts immediately, including phony claims that prices would increase the next day, misrepresentations about when and where consumers could travel if they made a purchase and false statements about certain fees being waived.

Corbett said that some consumers bought vacation programs because they were told they were entitled to a one-week stay in Hawaii, only to learn afterward that the program they purchased could not be used in Hawaii.

According to the lawsuit, consumers who sat through the timeshare presentations received "prizes" that were nothing like what they had been promised. The "four free airline tickets" were actually booklets that offered two airline tickets with each hotel room reserved, at high prices, in a limited number of cities. In some situations, consumers were required to commit to a 10 night stay at overpriced hotel rates before being able to select a local airport for their flight.

Corbett said "free" gasoline and meals that consumers were promised turned out to be coupons or certificates with lengthy terms and conditions. For instance, consumers who were promised $40 in free gas were required to submit written requests to obtain a series of gas coupons. The coupons required consumers to pay for their gas first and then mail a receipt for reimbursement, with each coupon limited to a $5 purchase, with no more than one purchase per month.

Illegal Contracts
    Corbett's said contracts used by Bluegreen failed to properly inform consumers of their right to cancel their purchase. Pennsylvania law requires that consumers have five days to cancel any timeshare or campground purchase. Bluegreen is also accused of violating a state law that requires all consumer contracts to be written in easy-to-understand terms.

Do Not Call Violations
    According to the lawsuit, Bluegreen made numerous calls to consumers who were on Pennsylvania's Do Not Call list, allegedly basing those calls on referrals from other customers. Additionally, the companies are accused of making repeated calls to consumers who clearly told them not to call again.

"Bluegreen took advantage of hardworking Pennsylvania residents eager to find an affordable getaway, " Corbett said. "Using deceptive contests, relentless sales presentations and misleading contracts, consumers were pressured into paying thousands of dollars for vacation packages that don't meet their needs or their budgets."

Corbett said the lawsuits seek restitution for consumers who suffered financial losses because of these deceptive or illegal practices.

Additionally, Corbett says the lawsuit asks the court to void all illegal consumer contracts and give consumers the right to cancel any agreement that did not include the state-required notice of cancellation.

The lawsuit also seeks up to $1, 000 in civil penalties for each violation of the Consumer Protection Law, or up to $3, 000 for each violation involving a senior citizen.

The lawsuits were filed in Commonwealth Court, in Harrisburg, by Senior Deputy Attorney General David Sumner of the Attorney General's Bureau of Consumer Protection.

Corbett says the investigation began after consumers contacted his office to report these practices. He encouraged other consumers who have problems with Bluegreen to file a complaint by calling the Attorney General's Consumer Protection Hotline at 1-800-441-2555 or submit an online consumer complaint.

www.attorneygeneral.gov/press.aspx?id=3999 LET YOUR VOICE BE HEARD-NOW!!!

• Bi
    biddybo Nov 08, 2008

Yeah, your correct Jarvis, the only problem is that the people selling this "real estate" ARE NOT licensed real estate agents!!
    So, that alone is a big violation of the law in ALL states!
    HELLO????
    You're like phil who talks out of his ###!

• Bu
    bum783 May 14, 2009

First of all anyone who believes they won a contest that they did not enter, deserve what they get.

However, Blue Green tried that stuff with me, I knew I did not win a contest, but I knew that time share companies DO give away good stuff to sit through their presentation. As for whether it is a 45 minute presentation or a 3 hour one they do not chain to the chair if you chose to sit there 3 hours, and than you chose to purchase the time share, than those were choices you made, don't blame the sale person.

Here is my experience. I knew it was a time share, I also knew I didi not win anything, but I went to the presentation anyway just to see what it was about. I sat through about an hour, than tried the sample package which cost about $900. I than went on 2 trips to Boyne Highlands, and received a $50 Gift card, a free weekend in Vegas, and 4 plane tickets, which the informed my right away that I could not use the plane tickets and the Vegas trip together. After the sample package was over I than chose to purchase the time share. In just 3 years I have traveled to Mexico, Aruba, Florida, and Boyne. I am planning St Martin now. I also recomended Blue Green to a friend who sat through a 1 hour and 15 minute presentation in Novi, but did NOT purchase anything, he still got a weekend trip to Myrtle Beach, 4 plane tickets which he used to visit family in Florida and a $50 gift card.

My experience with Blue Green has been great As long as you know what you are getting into when you attend the meeting. People that think they are getting something extraordinary for nothing are just fooling themselves, understand you are going to a sales pitch, if you cannot say no than don't go.

• Cu
    customer-feedback Jul 06, 2009

These guys should be in jail. I nearly got talked into one of these "free vacations" that ended up costing me $400.
    At the end of the 40 min sales pitch and after I gave my credit card details I was finally told half the story - a damn timeshare sales scheme. I have never fallen for anything like this before - they are very skillful at getting you in and misleading you. Now I'm still trying to get my money back, and believe me they are not making it easy.

credit card troubles

BlueGreen Resorts had a lot of information that just seemed too good to be true! After reading these complaints, i'm really upset and wishing I never would have talked my husband into paying the great 49 dollars for a trip!
We paid the 49 dollars and the man told us that he would call us the next day with our confirmation number so that we could go ahead and pick out a trip for us as soon as we wanted...the man never called us and when i called him he could not find us in their system. They sure did charge the 49 dollars to our account though and are now telling us that in order for us to pick out a trip we need to prove to them that we paid our money.
I am very upset because I was organized and following instructions to do this and they had NO IDEA who I was and could not find ANY information on us!! I learned that I should ask for confirmation numbers ASAP!! I'm hesitant about this whole thing now!

looney Aug 25, 2008

did you look at the brochure you recieved? You should have a confirmation number on it.

Joanne McNeil Apr 28, 2009

you need to call toll free your attorney generals office in your state and talk to his assistant and you will be amazed at what a scam this Company is -- you need to be happy that the $49 upset you and waved a hopefully big red flag I am in the middle of trying to save ou excellent credit rating and invoved in 2 state class action suits against BG for lack of performance --in short they will tell you anything to get you hooked and will make it as difficult as possible to give you what you have paid forgo to Blue Green complaints .com Joanne McNeil

BarbaraCVT Aug 10, 2010

This company is being used with Festiva Adventure Club, be afraid if they contact you. My husband and I were issued a "FREE" 4 day cruise certficate that ended up costing us 679.00. Yea, so much for free. I did receive a confirmation email, however it was misleading, the pending amount looked like it was waiting on verfication on the free cruise certificate. Only found out I was being charged full amount; not just tax, port fees, govt fees by looking at my credit card. When I called to complain, Monique wouldn't let me talk, I was yelling in the phone for her to shut up and my co-worker and I could hear her laughing in the background. The staff representing the travel agency suck.

unethical business practices!

Bluegreen is not an ethical company. They lie and have not kept their end of the bargain. Their company is no better than a pyramid scam. They take our money and then rent out our condos to non-owners. They also do not have condos. We stayed at their "Brand New Property" that we are deeded to in marathon keys and it was a renovated hotel. No condo, no resort there.
We have seen our maintenance fees go to over $1000.00 per month and no one can provide me with an itemized list of what the fees go to.

We had an appointment to meet with them they called me three times and emailed me once to make sure I was there on time. I got there on time and was told they did not have anyone who could see me.

I am sick of them and want some justice.

Lord Mankinholes Apr 10, 2008

You have a choice of over 40 resorts to use your points at
    MF are not $1000 per month ther are a flat $290 + 0.033 cents per point per year.

Marathon has studios, 1bed apartments and 2 bed apparments.

MadDawg May 05, 2008

I have never heard of someone paying over $1000 a month in MF. You are as full of BS as what you are writing.

RobinAnn Collins Nov 05, 2008

I'm pretty sure that she meant $1000.00 per year. Still outrageous by any standard- not to mention club dues and the actual cost per mth. of the timeshare (probably financed through Bluesh*t at 15.9% interest) Yes, it is far too much to pay for ANYTHING no less a vacation.

And as stated in the lawsuit- why is anyone with a checking acct. and a pulse eligible to purchase?? There is no credit check of any kind run on ANYONE who purchases these "points" WHY???

Well, my guess would be that MANY of the potential customers would not qualify for the purchase in the first place. I know that if I were offering a service to the public at large I would run a credit check to make sure that my customers could actually afford what I was selling- And so would MOST companies.
    This is the reason they ask what your annual income is before being invited to a sales presentation. They think that just because a couple or individual makes over $50, 000 per year that they can afford to spend tens of thousands of $$$ on a TIMESHARE.

Nevermind that their mortgage pymt. is $2, 000.-$4, 000. a month and all of their bills practically exceed their income with their credit cards all maxed out.
    Bluegreen thinks hey- they make 50k pr. yr. -they can afford this.

And let's be honest here folks, you should know what you can and cannot afford.
    Now the way you were lied to and taken advantage of is not right, and please don't misunderstand what I'm saying here. But, you must take at least a little of the responsibility here. After signing on isn't really the time to figure out that you can't afford it!
    However, I'm not giving Bluesh*t a pass here. The way they market their service violates MANY consumer protection laws. Please go to my earlier posts to take a look at an abbreviated version of the lawsuit filed by the Atty. GENERAL in PA.
    Then tell me if anything sounds familiar??

scam and fraud!

It was a Pretty Picture, but Disconcerting at the best, disheartening at the worst. As a corporate attorney for 20+ years and having an MBA and a BBA in business Lynn and I were quite interested when we went to check out the BlueGreen timeshare sales pitch. We have long shopped Bass Pro and are both impressed by the quality and high standards of the corporation. We have both been approached by a sanctioned salesperson in Bass Pro about the BlueGreen timeshare solicitations. Over this years MLK Holiday we decided to go down to Florida and check out the sales pitch.

Woo Hoo what a story. For a corporation listed on a national stock exchange, BXG, you would think they would meet you with an employee of the corporation with a name tag and business card right off the boat. Alas even thought the sales glossies discussed a first class destination on Daytona Beach The Casa Del Mar and we liked its presentation and ambiance - upon arrival we were shunted to the nearby Holiday Inn by the front office staff.

Hmm a national firm with dozens of locations in a site where the parking lots are empty and the lobby nearly deserted sending us to a Holiday Inn rather that putting us up in the Casa Del Mar? Well, Lynn was bothered by the fact that the verbal representations and e-mails she had received had to all intents and purposes indicated that we would be staying at the Casa Del Mar. But we remembered thinking at the time wasn't it strange the employees had no name-tags and no descriptive accommodations booklets were on display?

Upon arrival at the Holiday Inn we were shown the normal courtesy and service you expect from a national hospitality organization. However, I tried to upgrade the room from a back window facing room to an ocean facing room. I was told that no upgrades were available. Hmmm - this despite the Priority Club membership which I enjoy due to years and years of business travel. Later during our stay we noted that many rooms on the ocean side were dark and unoccupied.

So we decided to be troopers and go the next morning to the sales pitch. We spoke to a couple of locals who were of the hefty persuasion and settled on a local restaurant Charlie Horses Restaurant. It was excellent! It's located next to Bonefish grill, the Carrabas sister restaurant, and we recommend it for good food and local dining. OK here is the rest of the story.We show up the next morning and are introduced to our sales pitch representative a genial 30ish fellow named James. Our James is an ex-law enforcement officer and highly articulate. He has obviously done his homework and is quite a good salesman. Having been involved in sales for years I saw through the act but absolutely & thoroughly enjoyed the show. James is a likable and competent sales person.

BUT:

1)No one there had a name tag,
2)James did not have a business card,
3)James did not have an e-mail,
4)We were not introduced to the sales manager until we asked to meet him after the pitch,
5)The administrative secretary had leather pants and 2 inch Asian nails with filigree designs,
6)The sales manager made reference to imbibing in alcohol the night before with the second sentence out of his mouth,
7)When we asked for contractual agreement documents to take home and study we were denied the opportunity to examine the 40+ page document at home,
8)We asked for an Owners packet and were told we were not allowed to have one until after purchasing the timeshare. We then offered to PAY for the brochure This was not allowed,
9)We then asked if, after reviewing the internet, the better business bureau, and corporate statements if we could call James back up and purchase from him. We were told we could no longer deal with James directly,
10)After checking the BlueGreen internet site it is apparent that there are no numbers to call to talk to real people and the electronic curtain is obviously a thick one.

Needless to say as an attorney and businessman I find all of this highly irregular and will not be purchasing a timeshare from this outfit.

My words to anyone considering doing business with this group are the old legal axiom CAVEAT EMPTOR. (Buyer Beware!)

• St
    Steve Dec 04, 2008

My wife worked there in finance dept and I often thought they were running a prostitution ring in back. Her hours were 8pm to 3pm and I never undertstood why. Dont think many highroller buyers are up at that hour. good call btw

Steve

jacksora Jul 28, 2009

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I also purchased my Bluegreen tour at Bass Pro Shops over the Christmas holidays. We are timeshare owners and expected to stay at the resort location. When we reserved our trip, we were sent a pre-printed letter with our reservations at the Hawthorn Suites. I have nothing against Hawthorn, however, this package was represented as at one of their timeshare locations. This 'bait-and-switch' tactic appears to be standard course of business operations. If Bass Pro Shops is going to sanction this organization, their management should actually participate in one of the sales pitches.

• Je
    jeff j Aug 20, 2010

after purchase try booking sometimes nothing avail comes up but then try bonus time and wow!! it is available... the bonus time is unused inventory but i guess they just want a little more money!!!

• De
    debdebdeb Feb 07, 2011

Jacksora-
    Bluegreen rarely puts people up at their resorts because they don't OWN them, the OWNERS own them and visitors have no rights to stay at the resort and take up rooms that should be available for owners. You can come as a guest of a member (we do that all the time). I agree, it is difficult to get into the resort that you want unless you get to the silver level. Then you can book 13 months in advance and get whatever you want. We have never been denied a unit booking early. Just takes planning and a little time.

• Su
    sugarisme Jun 07, 2011

We have NEVER Purchase any Bluegreen tour from anyone they are FREE so if anyone purchased a tour from anyone THEY are the frauds. Blue green even GIVES you free things to do their tour and they wear name tags and dress professionaly. We have been with Bluegreen since 2006 and we are happy with most everything...I think it is one of the BEST time shares out there you just have to know what your doing BEFORE you get into it..I just got from 4 days in Las Vegas nad anothe r 5 days In Orlando at the BEAUTIFUL FOUNTAINS RESORT, I admit tjere are a quit a few flaws but over all it is GREAT..If you need help understanding or even if you would like a TRUE Bluegreen experience you can contact me...Jeanette Adams at [email protected] NO I am NOT a sales person just someone who knows how to make Bluegreen work for you...Good Luck and REMEMBER NEVER buy a bluegreen tour they are free...

• Lu
    lubbles Jun 07, 2011

I've been with Bluegreen since 2004 and I love it! When I attended my sales pitch everyone was dressed well and very professional. They give vacations away all the time, but you do not stay in their resorts. They are for members and their guests only. You would stay nearby and tour the resorts. At Bluegreen you don't get a room like you would at the Holiday Inn. You get a full 1-3 bedroom suite. Or a cabin, or a condo, depending on which resort you choose. Unlike other time shares where you get the same condo on the same week, year after year, as owners we have access to any number of resorts at any time of the year! I have and will continue to recommend Bluegreen to anyone.

dont buy into this...

My husband and I bought a time share from Blue green 4 years ago. We have only used the time share 2 times. One of which we had to pay money to stay when we had already paid thousands of dollars in mortgage payments. Both times we were extremly disappointed. The rooms are horrible. They allow smoking in all rooms. My husband and oldest son both have asthma and allergies, so this was awful. Also, one of the perks of being on vacation is to have house keeping come in everyday and freshen your room, well with blue green you have to pay extra for house keeping. Also, we had to pay for parking. We are so discussed. The rooms are less than mediocre. The beds are horribly hard, and the linens are like those at a motel 6.

We feel like blue green lures you in with all these promises, showing you pictures filling you full of excitement and all the while it's just a scam. It is like seeing pictures of a ritz carlton and arriving at a motel 6. Also, good luck trying to book the destination that you want. You will have to book at least a year in advance to get the city of your choice.

Please do not waste your money. Also beware of others who write on this web site and others whom praise blue green, they are probablly blue green employees trying to counter act what real blue green owners experience.

Please, do not waste your money. You are better off setting money aside each month for your vacations. Then you can afford to go where you want, when you want, and stay in a NICE hotel.

Lord Mankinholes Jan 17, 2008

What a load of B******T you write we have been owners since 2003 when Bluegreen took over Oasis Lakes (now The Fountains) in Orlando which I might add is 5 star.
    Most Bluegreen resorts now DO NOT allow smoking indoors and as for paying for parking then u must mean Charlston or Miami Charlston I cannot comment on yet (we vist in July this year) Miami was brillent and in all the places I have stayed non have been like a motel.
    The smaller and not as uptodate resorts dont use as many points so therefore you know before u travel that it will not be as nice as The Fountains --- you have not used as many points !!!!!!
    Take Aruba as an example a week in a studio uses 7000 points and yes the units need updating but once the $25K refurb is done then its back upto 5 star.
    So dont think that all this person as written is true in fact it is far from the truth and before she replies I do not work for Bluegreen I am a Textile colourist in Lancashire England.

• Fr
    Frances Graff-Welch Oct 01, 2008

Hello everyone,
    I bought into Bluegreen in July and already I am seriously dissappointed. I asked the people that sold me the contract that one of the most important issues to me would be that I do not have problems making reservations in San Diego where I must go every year at the same time. Their reply to me was absolutely no problems as long as I made reservations 48 hours in advance. Come to find out yesterday when I tried to make reservations at the Capri By The Sea, that everything was taken and I would have to make reservations one and one half years in advance. Now if I want to pay money out of my pocket besides what I am paying Bluegreen for absolutely nothing in return, then they have rooms available for rent. What is the point of having this timeshare if I cannot use it, and by the way, noone is wanting to talk to me at Bluegreen. I tried calling several times yesterday several different names that was given to me, and noone has returned my calls.
    I am going to change my bank account number today. I will not pay another dime to a scam outfit like this. Until something is done about this they will not get another dime from me.
    Frances Graff-Welch

RobinAnn Collins Nov 02, 2008

hey Phil,
    Please use your spell-check or re-read your comments before posting. All of your grammatical and spelling errors make you sound like an idiot!

Just thought you should know that I'm always here to offer my assistance to those in such dire need!

B&C Campbell Jan 27, 2010

We also have been owners for many years, actually since 1995. They keep increasing Maintenance fees/taxes and dues without notifying to owners. This has become a hardship with the way the economy is. My husband has been out of work for almost two years and I became unemployed recently. We called Bluegreen Vacations to see if they would reduce the late fees and finance charges but was told my a very nasty manager that it was our problem and everyone else was able to pay on time. She also told us that we had signed a contract that gives them the right to charge us a late fee and finance charges per month. If you don't pay in full by a certain they lock you out and then they will turn you over to a collection agency and if still not paid they will cancel your membership to the club which relinquishes the owner from any right of ownership or usage. Another words they can take back your timeshare, you lose all the money you invested and they can sell it to someone else. Talk about making money.
    Whenever we call to try get a reservation they have nothing available. I am sick of paying for something that we can't use.
    We have tried to sell our timeshare with RDI(Bluegreen Vacations) for the past 4 years now but they say no one is interested but they still sell new timeshares. What the heck. We were told that they would even rent it out and we would get the money for that. OH YEAH that never happened.
    Anyone reading this please do not buy a timeshare with Bluegreen Vacations, I believe they are over selling the timeshares which makes it hard for anyone to actually use them when they want to.
    Bill and Carla Campbell

shu Apr 15, 2010

HAHAHA...WHAT A LOAD OF CRAP!!!

Phil is a BLUEGREEN EMPLOYEE!!!

Why...WHY! if you are so in love with your bluegreen package would you be here at Complaintsboard.com????

You wouldn't. These puss trolls are Bluegreen minions that come here to post rebuttals to LEGITIMATE complaints. Bluegreen does that crap on EVERY complaint web site. That YAHOO site they advertise is nothing more than a den for these snakes to steer consumers to buying more points. "Upgrade to gold...that's what you need to do..." WHAT A BUNCH OF ###!!!

Bluegreen will tell you you'll get lots of wonderful vacations at lots of wonderful resorts then, after they've got you roped in tell you "We're sorry...you signed the contract and initialed on line so and so that you understand its all SUBJECT TO AVAILABILITY"

Liars and Thieves. There is a special place in hell for these septic dwellers.

do not buy a timeshare from bluegreen!

Do not... I repeat... do NOT buy a Bluegreen timeshare under any conditions. No matter how sweet it may...

terrible service!

My husband and I bought a timeshare from Bluegreen in Gatlinberg, Tenn. in November 05. We were going to be spending a week in Las Vegas in May of 06. We were guaranteed that we could use our time share there. Well guess what we could not use it when we tried to reserve our time. This past May we attempted to use our timeshare in Gatlinberg for a mid week trip and were yet unable to use the timeshare again. We are having to pay outrageous fees at the end of the year for points we haven't used because we can not reserve our time. We have attempted to sell the property without any luck. Beware! The sells people will lie and mislead you for a sell. you are a challenge to them! There is a reason they are called crime shares.

Mangusky Apr 02, 2008

Timeshares have to be planned pretty far in advance. You can't decide two or three weeks ahead of time you want to go somewhere and expect it to be available. Everyone needs a manual on how to use a timeshare. The Resorts won't offer one. Today there are several websites dedicated to demystifying the timeshare industry. Trying to use a timeshare is like walking in a minefield, except it won't kill you.

cheryl harman Apr 13, 2008

I submitted a contest sweepstakes entry, for $50, 000 or a 4day 3 night vacation package, at a gas station by my house. About 2weeks later I received a phone call telling me I'd one a vacation getaway for 3days and 2 nights. I wasn't that interested in a vacation for the 1 year it was offered for. So they told me I could get 2 vacations the 1st to be used w/in 1yr. the 2nd w/in one year after the 1st. They told me I could use that 2nd one even to the Bahamas. All this for $129.00 and sitting thru a 1&1/2 to 2hr. sales pitch. They told me to get my package in the mail look it over and and if it wasn't all it said I could cancel within 30 days. I got the package details and it didn't say anything about the 2nd trip and the fine print said "no matter what you're promised on phone the truth is only in black and white". So I wrote them w/in the 30 days & sent it return receipt requested so I'd have proof that they received it w/in 30 days and it's been almost a month and they still have'nt sent my $ back to me. So I'm making a copy of all my info again and sending another request of my money back and filing a complaint with the better business bureau.

don't buy a bluegreen timeshare

Buying a Bluegreen timeshare is a terrible decision. They, like many salespeople, will tell you whatever you want to hear to get you to buy, knowing that they will not personally be accountable for any misrepresentations of the truth later on.

One thing they promised us is that we could rent our timeshare. Now they've done away with that aspect as well, so you either use it, keep paying about $700 in fees each year along with whatever you paid originally, or you just lose the points. Every letter we receive is something else they're taking away from us.

The most recent thing that happened was that we had tried to rent ours out for 10,000 points (most of our points) before they decided to stop letting people do that. So I called today, 10 days in advance, to check and make sure it was rented, since this is the cut-off for when I can cancel without losing points. So the guy on the phone told me that yes, it is rented. And I asked, "Well, what happens if the people cancel sometime in the next 10 days?" He said, "We don't have any control over that, sir." And I said, "I understand that, but I don't either. So what happens to my points if they cancel?" And he said, "Well, you lose those points."

So some renter I don't even know can decide to back out at the last minute, and I lose 10,000 points and don't get to travel or make any money from my timeshare for 2 years! That seems fair...

Everything Bluegreen does seems to be a way to get themselves more money and screw over their "valued customers."

And Bluegreen, if you're reading this, don't bother calling me trying to get me to revoke it... you're a horrible company, and we're trying to sell our timeshare as quickly as we can and hopefully never have any interaction with you for as long as we live.

• Be
    Ben Travis Jan 19, 2008

(from same person)

Even more recent development... our timeshare did rent after all (through Bluegreen) ... they had told us that it would rent for at least $3,000, and probably more like $4,000. It was the high season at their most popular place, Boyne Falls, Missouri (near the Ozarks). We decided to rent it to try to get some of our money back that had poured down the huge financial hole which is Bluegreen. Well, we received our check today... a whopping $700!! Seven hundred dollars! They rented our 10,000 points (which is really all we get for two years) for $1,100... they get to keep 30 percent, of course. We were flabbergasted. Had they simply called and said, "We realize this is your property and these are your points, and we were wondering if you are willing to rent for $1,100," we would have instantly said, "NO!" But they didn't. It was completely out of our hands. So now we can't travel anywhere for two years, and all of our points were used for what will barely pay for one year of owning Bluegreen. We can't travel for two years, but we get to keep paying fees!

It's come to the point where we will probably just stop paying our fees, which means we won't ever be able to travel anywhere with them. It seems unethical to sell such a huge burden to someone else. And we'll just have to treat that $10,000 we paid as a lesson learned, which is: never... ever... buy from Bluegreen. They will tell you whatever you want to hear, but everything will change once they have their money. We thought they were different, but apparently they just have better-than-average salespeople that seem more genuine than usual.

Lord Mankinholes Apr 20, 2008

Please engage your brain before typing your comments

Please Please tell me where I can invest just $10000 and get a return ont of upto $4000 per year year in year out

And if you do stop making your payments I do Hope that Bluegreen sue you for full payment of outstanding fees and recovery costs.

Why should the rest of us have to bail you out

Michelle May 11, 2008

My in-laws are owners they rent out one of their weeks themselves. By advertising online, Listing a certain week in a certain place available. For X amount of dollars that way they get 100 % of the money from the renter. You might want to try this before you throw your hands up and just give up. I have also seen them in the newspaper under classifieds.

• Be
    Ben Jun 07, 2009

To Phillip: Maybe you missed the part where we got $700 for 10, 000 points. They *tell* you you can get $4, 000, but that didn't happen. Since you seem to feel this is an excellent investment, please respond to this with information on how to reach you so that you can buy our 12, 000 points. We'd be happy to enrich your life by selling them to you, since you obviously know how to benefit from them.

shu Apr 14, 2010

Bluegreen is singly the most unethical, immoral and detestible company in business today. Their sales sluts will use high pressure and out right lies to sucker people in. Then...after you've signed your name to their contract you discover on page 4 of the public offering Bluegreen is not liable for any promises made by their sales agents. Unbelievable. These parasites are without questions the lowest form of trash.

You will not get any of what your told, or shown your going to get...none of it.

They will steal your money and if you refuse to pay they will ruin your credit and threat YOU with legal action...that is incredible. What a band of puss trolls.

lies and broken promises

We bought into Bluegreen, had great credit for being 21 and 25. Everytime we tried to go somewhere, there wasn't anything available. We were pressured into buying it. I called and talked to a lady in Branson and told her my situation and she said she would try and get me out of the agreement. I received the best phone call in my life a few weeks later stating that we would be able to get out of our agreement, with no refund (which we never asked for) and that it wouldn't affect our credit. We tried to get a home loan to get a house since our family had since grown and where told that our credit score was to low. I called the Branson office and the lady had retired and they gave me the number for Corporate. I talked to a guy named Jamie. Told him we just wanted out of the contract and explained what went on. He said they never make deals like that and that I had been lied to. We continually tried to get out of the contract since we have paid thousands and never have went on a vacation. He said if we paid up to date they would fix our credit and that we couldn't get out the contract. I paid them a thousand dollars and they started taking money out monthly. They stopped taking the money out in May, I haven't seen any withdrawals and our credit was never fixed. Our credit scores of above 700 are now 560. We were aware of the maintenance fees but weren't aware of the yearly fee. I am sure it is all written in the fine print though. We were shown something that wasn't true.

• Ta
    Tanya Nov 17, 2008

Please let me know if you actually did get out of your contract. My husbands working hours have been cut and we can no longer even afford the monthly mortgage that Bluegreen takes from our bank account. Much less the yearly maintenance/club fees that seem to increase every year. I don't want a refund on what we have paid to them. But, I want out of the contract. I want to owe Bluegreen nothing more. We can never get vacation time when we want it or where we want it. In fact, we pay the monthly to Bluegreen and have ended up paying for a hotel room in the same area because we could not get reservations at Bluegreen. Please, if you got out of your contract...PLEASE tell us how. PLEASE.

• Ca
    cannonmom Nov 25, 2008

Hey it's Kassie! So a long time has since passed. No we are not out of the bluegreen contract. However I did contact the attorney general for our state. Missouri!!! He took the case and it actually was sent to a local attorney. All at no cost to me. They informed us that since so many people have filed a complaint that they have to go thru each complaint individually and come to a resolution before they can announce the outcome. The lawyer said she believes that we will have our credit restored and that we should be able to get a refund since we never used their services! I'll keep you posted!

• Am
    Amy Apr 11, 2009

This same thing has happened to us. We can never get in the vacation area that we would like and were told that we could go to an area several states away which is ridiculous. We are paying maintenance fees and now they charge club fees. We have gone to two meetings and stayed twice at Boyne Mountain where their club is located. It took them over three hours to get us into the room there so our time was wasted on one day. Then we had to travel further to reach Mackinac Island. It is just ridiculous that they make promises of going anywhere and yet we cannot get in anywhere even in the slowest seasons. I want to get out and need help as well as we are paying and cannot even use this and its wasting our money. PLEASE, I beg of you to help us if you can!

• Ju
    Judy, MO Jun 01, 2010

It is now 2010, and Bluegreen is still taking advantage of people. We were told we had "won" a trip to Las Vegas and just needed a credit card number to hold our reservations. I don't give out my number to anyone. A few days later we recieved all this information in the mail and then a phone call. The old saying, "if it seems to good to be true..." is so right. The promise was for "one of the main resorts" and was only $249 for the two of us. When I called a few days later to cancel, I was told, no problem, they would return our money immediately. Guess what? No refund. Now it is too late to get a refund and we are still the owners of this trip. Anyone want to purchase a wonderful trip for just $249? Oh yes. you have to purchase your own air fare and make your own reservations and sit in a 90 min. lecture, but it is in one of the big resorts.

• Tt
    TTFIV Jul 12, 2010

To Judy in MO:

You may have already found this out. At the Bluegreen Resorts when they schedule your "three day marketing stay" which is actually only 43 hours (for example - from 4PM check in on Friday to 11AM check out on Sunday) that $249 is considered a special promotional rate. If, for any reason, you do not show up and sit through the entire high pressure sales presentation then your special promotional rate will be revoked and they will bill you for the regular rate for a three day stay. It usually turns out to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $750.

You are dealing with a company with no scruples. I have been doing research on Bluegreen for the last week in an effort to help my disabled brother and his wife who became victims last year. They walked into the sales pitch wide-eyed, innocent and very foolish. They unfortunately gave up $20, 000 of their life savings for a timeshare ownership that is now worthless. They have attempted on three separate occassions since last year to book stays using their points. Each time they have been told that the resorts they have requested are fully booked for at least the next six months. I live near the resort where their deeded cabin is located and I know for a fact that the resort is rarely more than 2/3 full. When their points can't be used within one year they lose them. But even when they can't get into a resort with their points they still have to pay all the annual fees (membership, maintenance, taxes, etc.) or Bluegreen could foreclose on the ownership.

So far, I have found where Bluegreen has been successfully sued in NJ, PA, MO, WI and FL. We are now working with the Attorney General in our state to attempt to get justice for the many victims here.

$425.00 per month for vacation which l never got

Bluegreen Vacation Club
www.bluegreenonline.com

We received an e-mail from BLUEGREEN a few yrs ago promising a free night stay at BRONSON. My wife and l went to Boson. We were told that after joining the vacation club we could use the proceeds from the rental to pay part of the payments .l was paying $425.00 per month from my checking accounts plus $2000.00 down payment at the BRONSON office. After paying the 38 months of $425.00 and not able to use any vacation l called the bank and stopped payment.

Each time l called to either use the time share at Myrtle beach in South Carolina or elsewhere l was told that l need to pay more or l did not have enough points to take the vacation at BLUEGREEN. I found out a month ago that they claim that l foreclosed on my property at BLUEGREEN.

l did not received any title for any property nor l did not spend a day or an hour at any of BLUEGREEN RESORTS.. My FICO score went down due to BLUEGREEN putting this on my credit. l am in the process of purchasing a home and this is hurting my credit score after paying BLUEGREEN $ 38 MONTHS @ $425.00 AND A $2000.00 DOWN PAYMENT.

One would think that after spending over Twenty thousand dollars for a vacation club you would be able to spend at least a day there, well l never did and could not. Mortgage for for what? l did not own anything, never laid eyes on my vacation place one even for an hour or even a minute. Yet l was paying $425.00 per month for vacation which l never got.

TIME SHARE IS NOT A GOOD IDEA FOR SOMEONE WHO WANT TO TAKE A VACATION, THIS IS FOR THE CORPORATION TO USE YOUR MONEY FOR THEIR PURPOSE.

Lord Mankinholes Apr 10, 2008

What a whimp you are. You agree to buy somthing and then stop payment you are lucky its only your credit score thats damaged you should be in jail for fraud. People like you cost other owners a lot of money and IMHO you should be sued to recover all costs involved.

As for not being able to use your points did you ever think to ask the reservation staff to explain to you what you should do since everytime you try they was no availability.

Did you not contact owner services.

• Cl
    Classy girl Jul 15, 2012

I agree with this complaint Bluegreen is just a big lie! They just steal peoples money and then screw them over with messing up their credit by posting this as a foreclosure! Same exact happened to me. I payed all these fees, downpayment and never once used the resort because of all their lame excuses. So of course I wasn't going to keep paying for
    It when they weren't even letting us use it. Now they have the guts to post this as a foreclosure on our credit report!? Really?! wow! I have put in a dispute to the credit bureau they filed this to so I hope this gets changed to different wording because how can this be a foreclosure if we would of never owned this thing? And how can they compare $8, 000 timeshare with a property? For example a house that is usually over $100, 000! Yeah their idiots! This company should be shut down!!!

poor service!

We sat for FOUR HOURS listening to their sales pitch. After we said we couldn't afford it, they got very offended and left our table; when they came back, they gave us a lower offer we could afford. We took it--keep in mind that my husband was VERY thorough in the questions he asked. They told us specifically that we would absolutely receive 50% off ALL hotels... come to find out, it's UP to half off the most expensive hotels in the area! We tried getting a room in Grand Rapids, MI and they only had one hotel in the area that cost more than the hotel we normally stay at--AND I discovered the "special rate" we could get was the same price Hotels.com charges for the same hotel! And we were told we could cancel within a certain time period, but use the points right away... hmm well we didn't even get our membership cards to call any place for over a month, then there was no place open to reserve, we could not use the bonus nights thing because all the rooms were taken everywhere we called...

We have tried selling our timeshare, Bluegreen will either not return our calls or, if we reach someone, they tell us that they can't do anything about it. The lady who sold us the timeshare said we could sell it for more than we paid for it... her supervisor told us that if we tried selling it we would definitely get our money back because prices were going up...we paid $10,000 for that timeshare. When we called the place that is selling the timeshares, we were informed that the average selling price is $6,000!!! Still getting lied to and SICK OF IT.

Email: [protected]@current.net

michael loffreda Oct 04, 2007

we also went to b/g sales promo in myrtle beach sc
    they don't take no for an answer.they are pushing you into a ridiculous sale started at 42000 for what ? a week .I talked to people at the resort that bought and what they told me is the money spent each year is not equal to what you get blue green changes at will what they sale and rent and points charged.We can go wherever we want in the world for cheaper than blue green rip off no con artist God have mercy on your souls.

• Te
    terri bolin Mar 31, 2008

so, what can be done about it? i haven't even had mine 30 days yet and want to sell back. of course they said no. i know i will be turning them into the better business bureau but i want my money back

Lord Mankinholes Apr 21, 2008

Why would anyone buy a timeshare so they could get cheap hotels very strange?

We have never had a problem with reservations.

We have always been able to use Bonus time $490 for a 7 night say in Orlando for 8 people is not bad going.

And 8 yrs down the line we are break even so anythig now is just MF which works out a lot cheaper than renting a villa/condo.

Barbara Hoskins Feb 19, 2009

Listen evryone it is cheaper to rent a villa about £400 per week, so i could rent a villa for 2 weeks with the money being paid for the maintenance fee to Bluegreen $1, 167.00 in UK money over £800 this is for 1 week a year. Where this Philip Smith gets his figures from i don't know, i'm ashamed that he is a fellow countryman, with some of the things he's written on this forum beggars belief. I hear he works in the textile business YOU don't supply bluegreen do you.

Lord Mankinholes Jul 10, 2009

Barbara,

It seems that there is only one point of view and that is yours, you are wrong my m/f would be around $850 not £ for one week peak season at The Fountains

I would also imagine he would be ashamed that a fellow countryman could also tell such out and out lies to try and get her point across, shame on you

shu Apr 13, 2010

Lord Buttholes...You ARE an employee, and a septic dweller. My god...you sound just like an 'fing Bluegreen advertisment. Proof positive you are one of the coven you ###.

I've spent days, weeks, and months trying to get something for the money I've wasted on this nightmare. So have hundreds of other victims.

FACTS ARE FACTS YOU LOSER...WHY ELSE WOULD YOU COME TO THIS SITE. You've made 26 posts here at this site alone under this ONE pseudoname playing cheerleader for Bluegreen. You make me sick you lying piece of feces.

The only people who could love the company are the gutter trash that get the opportunity through Bluegreen to steal from hard working people. The Yahoo Group is nothing more than a bait and switch mechanism for the snakes that work this scam.

Liars, Thiefs, Parasites and ###. That is all they are...that is all you are.

almost a sucker

I was at an art fair with my daugther (2 yrs old). While we were walking around, the booth attendees for some vacation sweepstakes saw my daughter and used their "spinning wheel" of prizes to lure my daughter over. They were super friendly, shoved a sign-up card into my hands and said fill it in. I'm usually leery of signing up for anything but stupidly I did this time thinking, "heck, it's not like I'll win anything anyway, then they'll just forget about me and I can go on my way." They let me spin the wheel and got a cheap prize - a bead necklace.

A month later my husband gets a call from this guy saying that I won actually won the 4 free vacation tickets to anywhere, even to Europe. My husband told him to call me personally. Meanwhile he informed me of the call. My sister who happened to be standing there listening asked me where the presentation was going to be held...she had already been to one and warned me it was about timeshare sales. Not even 5 minutes later, I get a call from the same guy who spoke to my husband. He quickly gave me his pitch on all the prizes I would get but my only obligation is to attend the 90 minute presentation. He was flirty just like one mentioned in some of the other complaints. He said the name of his company so fast I couldn't remember it. I started asking if this was timeshare related, what obligations did I have if I accepted the tickets, why did they need my credit card. All I got in response was deflect, deflect, deflect. .."No ma'am, this is not a timeshare sale, we are not a resort, you don't have to buy anything, all you need to do is show up for the 90 minute presentation." Shortly after that I did get a second call from a no BS lady who confirmed all my information. It sounded like she even struggled to say "have a nice day". I kept thinking, "okay, I should trust my sister" but the offer sounded SO good.

In the morning, still undecided, I decided to read the confirmation letter and search the internet. At the bottom of the letter it clearly says "THIS ADVERTISING MATERIAL IS BEING USED FOR THE PURPOSE OF SOLICITING THE SALE OF TIMESHARE INTERESTS." I also found all the complaints on this site. Needless to say, it's 45 minutes from my presentation, and I'M NOT GOING.

I'm sure I'll be getting a few more calls, we already got one this morning. Many thoughts are going through my head right now, "If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't", "you don't get something for nothing" and "NEVER GET SUCKERED TO FILL IN A SWEEPSTAKES FORM AGAIN".

• Ed
    Edna Feb 27, 2008

I am so glad i decided to look up BlueGreen before i showed up for the "90 min presentation". Thank you so much for sharing your experience and warning the rest of us. What's so funny is they ask you why you won't reschedule and they know fully well they are scamming you.

Mangusky Apr 02, 2008

I'm at a loss - am I just stupid or am I reading that most people are wimps. DUH! What's wrong with a timeshare presentation? Doesn't anyone know how to say NOOOOOOO I'm not interested. They don't want your first born child - the don't want your Soul - they just want to see you squirm for a while. I love to make Salesmen mad - my wife hates it.

Michelle May 11, 2008

My husband and I just visited the Big Cedar Lodge in Ridgedale, MO. Very nice for couples as well as families, something for everyone.
    We went as guests of BlueGreen owners (my in-laws) who joined in 2006. They are very skeptical people and we were surprised when they told us about buying into this timeshare program. So far they have not had any complaints about their experiences with bluegreen resorts and their other bonus programs. They already have used it several times, and not had any problems with making reservations, yet.
    We (my husband, our 5 year old son, and myself) signed up to hear their presentation (via Bass Pro Shop) in Springfield, MO. "For FREE GIFT 150.00 bass pro gift cards". We did pay a 25.oo non-refundable fee and was told that we would have to stay at lease 90 minutes to get the FREE GIFT.
    Since we were already staying as guests of property owners we were considered "owner referred". The salesman told us they could offer us a better deal, but it was still out of our price range. When we declined he was surprised, but was still very polite and respectful. We did not feel the highpressure isssued that others have experienced. When we were taking to the area to receive our free gifts, our salesman told us about the 'sampler' package. He explained everything in detail from "We had 12 months to decided to change our mind about becoming owners to all the blackout dates, etc. before we agreed. We did agree to the sampler. I pray that we will have a more pleasant experience than others have had.
    By the way we have been to others timeshare presentations both were in Gatlinburg. Said no to both, out worst was 'Fairview'. The guy tried giving us a sob story and then brought in a manager and made us feel like we didn't want to give our family nice vacations. I believe all timeshare presentations have a negative rap at some point.
    However, after reading these comments I will reconsider my thoughts of being an owner.

• Th
    thepostman Jul 17, 2008

man, that sounds horrible. i hope you didnt get charged a bunch of money for skipping the presentation

scam company!

I had both similar, and different experiences. First, everything written is true. There is a highly polished, skilled, cheesy sometimes flirtatious sales presentation. The "heavy" or the closer, is much tougher, and downright rude and mean. However, if I'm not going to buy from you when you are nice, you certainly aren't getting my money by trying to intimidate me. Perhaps my 25 plus years military police experience and super cynical attitude in life provides some armor? I concur with the bad "intended to be overheard" acting, and special deal, but only if I sign now. It is high pressure, more gentle persons are easily offended and scared. I however love tough tough negotiations.

Let the buyer beware. You do not get something for nothing. This industry is an improvement upon standard timeshare churning. I guarantee you this, if the "seller" isn't producing, they are on their butt, out the door. You can make mad money selling timeshares, have a few bad months, and you are gone. It might even be faster.

If you use your points, you will extract value from the company. Truth be told, the company does not want you to use the facilities. They want your money only. Once they have your money, they would prefer you never show up as it is less inventory available to sell to others. If you use the points to the max, and you may have to travel to use them, you get a return on your investment. I invested just over 10K. I have had the membership for 5 years. Since I travel a lot and spend many nights in hotels costing roughly $100 to $200 a night, I believe each night is worth $100 to me in value. That is slanted highly in my favor, as I get a great condo or cabin in Virginia and use of facilities, whereas when I travel, I get a box with a bed in it.

I am breaking even now in my 5th year. All use after this is gravy. I believe the actual dollar value of my package is roughly $3000. That is all I could reasonably expect if I sell it. Matter of fact, it is all I will ever pay for more points. Even though I attend a briefing on every visit, I hold out until they offer at least three incentives (notice the form at the top has three lines for incentives, they can offer all three). If you don't believe me, when you are there and they call and want to give you an update, tell them your time is worth more than the $25 gas card or dinner coupon. They will call back if not immediately offer you more. Refuse again. A supervisor may wait to call, but you will be called. Why? Because you were a sucker once, chances are you will be a sucker twice. They will gladly give you $50 for gas (admittedly not that valuable anymore), the lunch coupons, and more. If they won't give it? I don't go. They want me to go up to Silver. I never will. Why? Because then they haven't much incentive for continually paying me money to watch their soap opera acting antics: you know the one where your seller argues with the boss, for some of the reserve points, the hold backs, or the ones folks sold back to Blue Green? Special inventory? Or the "point prices go up on the 1st of the month" Can't tell you how many times I have heard that, only to be offered the same price repeatedly. No matter what the sale, it works out to about $1.67 a point.

I will buy your points if you wish to sell. I will only offer $3000. It will terminate your maintenance fees, membership fees, etc.

Please do try to travel to other bluegreen facilities. We love Shenandoah Crossing, Gatlinberg, Christmas Mountain and a few others. My mom just returned from Aruba, and Myrtle Beach. I Will be at Big Cedar for Christmas.

The big issue for this company is simple and easy to fix, but it makes them money so they won't. Bottom line: Sales and marketing have no connection to operations. When they ask how your stay is going, and they write down issues with your unit . . . they throw it away. If they connected sales quotas to customer satisfaction, you can bet these sharks in sales would terrorize the folks running the resorts and make sure the facilities were top notch.

Feel free to e-mail me, I am serious about wanting more points.

Use your points, complain to any and all managers until it is fixed, but sales is sales, it always has been and always will be. Brutal and unforgiving. I just happen to be better at it than them.

• Am
    A Mink Aug 02, 2007

Are the sales folks at the resorts licensed to sell timeshares with a governing or regulating body like realtors are required to be licensed with their state DPOR? Anyone with the answer, please e-mail back at [email protected]

RobinAnn Collins Oct 28, 2008

Attorney General Corbett announces lawsuits against Florida timeshare & vacation companies accused of advertising, real estate, and telemarketing violations

Phony Prizes

High Pressure Sales and False Advertising

Illegal Contracts

Do Not Call Violations

Corbett offered the following tips to consumers considering a timeshare:

• Da
    davidalanh Feb 01, 2010

We need this kind of action in Tennessee. How do we get it rolling?

false statements and empty promises

Hi all,

Please be very and I mean VERY careful when dealing with these people they will promise the world when selling you a timeshare package... them when the deal is done and you find out about half of what they have told you is not true and other half is about a quarter of the truth... Guess what you are stuck with a mortgage a time share worth about 25% of what you paid for it and a bunch of sales people managers and customer service reps playing the WELL I'M SORRY SOME ONE TOLD YOU THAT BUT ITS NOT TRUE YOU NEVER SHOULD HAVE BEEN PROMISED THAT AND WE REALLY DON'T BELIEVE OUS SALE STAFF SAID THAT TO YOU WE VALUE OUR INTEGRITY TO MUCH... These people have no integrity to value... We bought a small package of 8000 points to begin with... Found out the hard way what we were promised came with that package DIDN'T... Well here we go again we were sent to a so called SALES MANAGER AND WE GONNA GET THIS STRAIGHT GUY, We were assured the salesman was new and made a mistake... Being very trusting me and my wife discussed where we wanted to be in there point program as far as extra perks and decided to upgrade to point we knew we would have them no matter what was said... BIG mistake even after big dog manager getting involved supposedly one of there most honest salesmen... and more of our money... GUESS WHAT... We still don't have enough points to qualify for perks we were after... So please buy somewhere else don't get stuck with a time share worth nothing and a 10 year mortgage you are gonna get sick over everytime you try to use it and have to pay it... Also if you do buy and don't spend absolute top dollar you will never and I mean in the 2 years we have owned never get what we requested About the only thing you are gonna get constantly from BLUEGREEN is excuses and I'M sorry thats not available... Were sorry you were told that... We are a company with the most customer satisfaction of any timeshare seller... Right after you complain they don't have or you don't qualify for what you are asking for So feel free to contact me and Ill tell you sum bluegreen horror stories.

chris Mar 02, 2008

I love this website. Its making bogus companies nervous.

lies, misrepresentations, and no help

A few years back, My father (Paul Hawkins) took me and my sister (both adults), and our husbands to...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices