Having problems with Blockbuster?

+1 866 692 2789 (By Mail or Online Purchases)
+1 800 406 6843 (Store Membership)
+1 303 723 1000 (Corporate Office)
PO Box 9040
SatClosed
Sun8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

childish management

After calling the store to settle an outstanding balance on four videos that were returned late and charged...

charges on my credit card!

I was charged over $50.00 in my credit card for services never requested. They don't care when I ask 'em How they got my personal information. So if somebody wanna suit them let me know I like to be part of it.

• St
    still employed May 27, 2008

Found charges to c.c. on(5-16-08) that not I are my husband did. columbia house said they will give the mony back(17.40) but I also receved the movie .cancelled the acount(which we never opened) and will returne movies...but how did they get our info is what I would like to Know...One company gave me a e-mail address of the account...For your [email protected] a fraud

Mike Jun 05, 2008

This happened to us recently too, anyone know what's going on?!?!

Is Blockbuster resorting to fraud to keep their company afloat?

• Jj
    JJP Jul 02, 2008

I too found fraud charges on my credit card that started with blockbuster.com and also charges from grantbusters or grantmasters too. I never ordered from either of these sites. Complete rip off, fraud. Watch your credit cards!!! I called my CC company and cancelled my account and they will be investigating. I suggest everyone else do the same!

• Qw
    Qwerty Jul 14, 2008

Depending on your store this may be your policy. But the store I shop at, this is what goes down. You have a 5-day rental. Everything is 5 days in my store. There is a 5 day grace period on the rentals. After notifications by e-mail (if applicable), phone (on the account), and snail mail (also on the account) on the 2nd, 3rd and 4th day after your due date, they will be charged for the list price on the account. The only reason they charge the list price is because that is what they will have to pay to find and replace the copy that is now lost from their inventory. After this, you then have 30 days to return it to the store. So basically, you have 9 days to have the rental. If you are slow in the head, that's OK, you have 30 more days to meander back to the store and give it back to the employees. I trust you, they are nice -- only when you aren't jerks to them.

If there is a credit card, it will be charged to it. To rent XBOX360, WII, or PS3 games, there needs to be a credit card on file. If you do not want things charged to your card, return them on time. It's an easy concept. You are all adults, stop behaving and stop whining when you don't follow the rules.

So get off your high horses and start returning the tapes on time. It could be worse -- back when there were late fees, you would be charged more than that for those movies/games.

Hoffa Aug 08, 2008

Qwerty -- you have no idea what you are talking about. This is blockbuster.com, not the retail stores for blockbuster. The charges are coming from Blockbuster's version of NetFlix.

I just recently had the exact same problem as mentioned above. 2 accounts opened and charged to my account. Blockbuster was all too willing to allow 2 identical accounts to be opened in my name (why on earth I would want 1 account, let alone 2 accounts is beyond me). When asked to verify the shipping address of the online rentals, I was told that I was not allowed to have that information. I mean, it is my account, why would they be able to provide me with my information?

Long story short -- they will not refund the money and are forcing my credit card company to the file the fraud investigation and eat the fraudulent charges. Sounds like they are in such financial trouble that they are refusing to negate revenue no matter where it is coming from. Pathetic!

This actually reminds me of the MCI slamming from many years ago where they would solicit you to change carriers, you would say no, they would change your carrier to them anyway.

• Cr
    crossbred900 Aug 18, 2008

A few days ago I found two charges to blockbuster.com for $10.59 both on 7/31. Called my bank today, they called Blockbuster, who said there were actually THREE accounts in my name. They asked my address and canceled the accounts. Then the bank shut my card down and opened a fraud case, now I have to wait for some paperwork and a new card, all while hoping I get my money back.

Any ideas where they are getting our info from? I use netflix, but that isn't billed to the same card.

AngryInVermont Aug 19, 2008

Wow! I just looked at my credit card and found a charge to blockbuster.com, WW.SUSTAINHELP.COM and GRANTSEARCH. I just threw away a CD that came in the mail from grantsearch. I have contacted my credit card company and am waiting for a call back.

Now, this happened shortly after I purchases supplies on line from Drs. Foster and Smith (pet supplies).

Did anyone else by chance do the same?

• Me
    Melinda Alters Aug 21, 2008

OMG! I too would like to know how those bandits are getting our info! I found $1.00, then 2 for $10.81 each, then others totally almost $200!! My bank is helping me but I am very upset by this thievery. I have never had an account with Blockbuster.com, gofaxer.com or lingo.com. Never will either!!

• Rn
    R. Norse Sep 04, 2008

We went through the Google Money Profit, Grant Search etc. fraud charges a few weeks back. My husband just asked me about a Blockbuster Charge. It wasn't ours. We had 2, and when we spoke to the Blockbuster Customer Service (and the lady was very nice) she said these were for their online service and not a store. We've never signed up for their service and didn't really know anything about it. She removed the charges and told us to contact our credit card co. and report the charges as fraudulent.

Please NOTE: we also had 2 charges for NetFlix. We do have Netflix, but don't use this card with it and our regular monthly charges are different than what was on this card. This is what is strange about the whole thing. We don't use this credit card that much, and I've researched every online purchase I've made and it wasn't on this card.

And yes, I did order some Pet supplies, but not from the site mentioned before and I didn't use this card! Unbelievable!

• Ju
    judyh001 Sep 19, 2008

I just found two charges on my credit card from Blockbuster and we don't have any Blockbuster accounts. The charges are for $10.56 each. I don't understand, if so many people are having a problem with fradulent charges, why isn't something being done about it? I'm calling both the credit card company and Blockbuster today. I'm posting this message because maybe the more people who report it in one place the more evidence that this isn't an isolated problem. Blockbuster needs to be held accountable for the inconvenience they're causing so many people.

• Ju
    judyh001 Sep 19, 2008

As happened with many of you, Blockbuster closed the 3 accounts (another one was charged this week) but they refused to credit my card. I reported the Fraud to my credit card company and they suggested I file a claim with the Better Business Bureau as well. The credit card company stated they have been seeing multiple claims against Blockbuster Online. I have filed a claim with the Better Business Bureau and hope others will do the same.

Mike Nov 25, 2008

This is ###. I just got fraud charges from blockbuster.com today. I don't know what to do. I want to find out who did it, and what address these movies were sent to...

• Ev
    evans65 Jan 02, 2009

I'm getting charges from Blockbuster, Netflix, and Stamps.com as well. But I actually got movies, rentals and a purchase of the same movie, at my address!

• Tu
    Tulmake Mar 15, 2011

I rented a DVD from BlockBuster and returned it on time. I was still charged a late fee.

I feel that BlockBuster could be more accurate when keeping up with what time DVD's have been returned!

fraud and scam!

Received charges on my debit card that I did not authorize. Someone started a monthly subscription, through an online web banner promotion they said. Its been over a month, still waiting to see the charges reversed. Filed a fraud report with the police and the bank.

• Ce
    cenap Feb 24, 2009

We're in the same boat for $20 a month for the past six months (finally conferred with my husband that those were not anything he legitimately set up). Same thing happened to us by Real Networks, but they refunded most of those erroneous charges after asking for a manager. No such luck from Blockbuster so now will take the credit card company route too.

their account system insecure

Today when my husband and I went into Blockbuster to purchase a game for our son, we were shocked to find out that someone else's information popped up on the screen when our card was scanned. Both of our names were removed along with our phone number and the only thing that remained the same city, state and zip.

When the associate tried to access my account information using my driver's license number, she found nothing. She then called on the manager who left to make a phone call then returned with my original application.

The information was corrected in the store and a lock was placed on the account. She apologized and said that this cannot happen unless someone obtained my membership card or an employee used my account to get a membership for his/her friend.

We called the store closest to the address given at our local Blockbuster for the person on the account and were given a different name, and this time the associate even went back again to say my account never existed!

A manager was called to the phone and claimed that there was a system glitch that causes two accounts to merge sometimes and to check back in 48 hours, then report the card lost/stolen if the information is still incorrect.

Who do we believe? Who is going to be held accountable here?

unauthorized charge!

I check my bank account pretty religiously. The other day, I noticed a $1.00 charge from ITunes pending, but it never went through, so I just let it go. I do visit the site occasionally and thought maybe it was just a mistake and was corrected promptly. Within a few days, I noticed two pending charges, one from PW EAUCTION 800 for $1.95, and one from BLOCKBUSTER.com for $10.69. I called the EAUCTION number and said I had never ordered anything from them and I had no idea what this charge was. The woman on the phone assured me she would cancel the account and any pending charges. She gave me a cancellation confirmation number. I contacted Blockbuster.com and they told me I had set up an account with my correct name, address and phone number yesterday. I assured them I did not. They were friendly enough and canceled the membership and assured me the $10.69 would be refunded.

Also, oddly enough I found a voice mail on my phone later that evening from the EAUCTION people stating that my order was on it's way. It was dated a few days earlier. I don't recall this number ever calling so it's almost like it must have gone straight to voice mail and I found it later when I was checking a missed call. Strange.

Anyway, although both of these companies seem to be taking care of the fraudulent charges, it still makes me extremely upset that they can just charge people unknowingly for something they didn't order/want. All I can think is that this took place through a third party, and if so, shame on Blockbuster for dealing with companies that would do something like this. Of course the EAUCTION people are just as bad, but from what I have read they are awful and this is a common occurrence. I thought Blockbuster was a legitimate company with respectable business practices.

My question to anyone out there is - do you know who is behind this? Has something exactly like this happened to you? I have read somewhere about Dish Network possibly being to blame for the Blockbuster thing, but I don't have any business with them, so in this case they couldn't be involved.

Blockbuster will never ever see any of my business ( in store or online ).

In additon to the Blockbuster.com charges, there was also a $1 charge for Napster. Why in the world would I use Napster.

• Fr
    Frank Mengert Sep 03, 2008

I would check your credit/debit cards very closely. In terms of future identity theft and credit card fraud sometimes thieves will place small transactions on a card to verify the card is active. It is usually small so that it goes unnoticed, then in a week/month/year you get slammed with thousands of dollars of purchases you never even made.

The $1 charge is so your card can be verified as active and sold on the market as a viable credit card to be used for fraudulent purchases.

• Di
    Diane Doering Oct 02, 2008

After ready other complaints, I just remembered that I also got a popup box about iTunes and ignored it. I also had several $1 charges to my account for which I complained to the bank. I'm now starting to put a picture together. Thanks for the insight.

• Lw
    L.Walsh Oct 13, 2008

Trojan horse virus / key logger could be sending your CC # when you type it in legit site.

Mai Lin Dec 04, 2008

The same happened to me I got charges both from blockbuster.com and eauction (I found that is the same as pacific webworks inc.) they really don't care who is using peoples names and cc information to setup accounts with them, the same with blockbuster. they will not refund any fee, blockbuster first told they will refund that never happened when I call again they told they do not refund any fee and I should talk to my bank. I talked to chase and supposely they will take care of it. Now reading on the internet the different complains people have, I'm not to sure. I do not understand how these companies can get away with this. I found thsi website with complains http://andrewlock.com/blog/beware-of-eauctionsuccesscom-or-pacific-webworks-inc-its-a-scam. if anyone has more information on this please let me know.

• Vf
    vfs Mar 09, 2010

today 03/09/2010 I was checking my bank of america credit card account and Block Buster randomly charged me $3.15 for BLOCKBUSTER VIDEO #121 Merchant Information: FT LAUDERDALE FL which I have never used before. I called Bank of America and the representative in the disputes department sounded like he was already prepared to answer me on my inquiry as if he already was prepped with a sales pitch. this sounded very fishy to me, it was as if they (bank of america) were on the merchants side and he (woody tingle from boa) said that Blockbuster might have had a previous account number for you and if the merchant verifies this account number then they have the right to charge your account. He was acting as if the charge was valid even after I told him that I was concerned about my account that maybe someone has my account information. He said that this could be a very old bill and blockbuster just now got around to charging it. It was as if Blockbuster just contracted with BoA to charge it's cardholders old fees because the representative was very much on the merchants side. Everyone beware and check your account statements to see if you are the next victim!

online scam!

I am outraged. I closed this account cause they increased their price from $19.38 to $21.54. They deducted this new amount from account without even asking if I would to continue receiving videos at this new price. I closed my account with blockbuster on 02/10/2017. On 03/27/2017, they deducted $64.62 for movies they claim that I have not returned. I contacted the 'Blockbuster Online Customer Care' and voiced my concern. To my surprise they returned my e-mail within that day. Here is there response. Thanks for contacting BLOCKBUSTER Online Customer Care.

I'm sorry to hear that your account was charged even if you already returned your DVDs. Unfortunately, the DVDs that you've returned were not yet physically received at our return center after your account has been canceled. Once we receive the DVDs that caused the charges, we'll automatically issue you a full refund. If we have already sent you an e-mail notification that the DVDs were received, and the refund has not yet posted or processed, please forward the notice to us and we'll be happy to help. Unfortunately, we do not offer outbound calls. Should you have further inquiries, please call us at [protected] (or [protected]) Monday-Friday from 8:00 A. M. - 6:00 P. M. CST. We will gladly help you over the phone. Thank you very much for your inquiry.'

Now keep in mind that I closed my account on 2/10/2017 and this according to their records. The customer care rep. did not offer to look it the issue and get back to me, but quick to say when get our videos, we'll give your money back, as if they are holding MY MONEY hostage. I find it hard to believe that it take almost two months to receive and process some videos. Moreover, why the problem after I canceled services with them. Is it possible it got lost in the snail mail?

But I should not be surprised. This the second time they do this to me the first time was with a video game, that mysteriously got lost at the store after I put it in their designated drop box, that was another $60, offense. Cause with BBV your guilty, till video are never returned. So BEWARE OF THE BBV predator he likes to steal your 'unreturned' videos.

• Ph
    Phil Flanigan May 14, 2007

Of my last 20 online "rentals", as a member of BlockbusterOnline's video service, 17 of the rentals were claimed to have been "shipped" out and then "received" back by Blockbuster. The problem is that the videos were never received by me. Typically, Blockbuster has claimed to "receive" the videos 2 to 3 days after they were "shipped". Clearly Blockbuster is not shipping the videos at all but appears to be using this tactic to reduce the number of videos that they actually have to ship under their "Total Access" program. Blockbuster refuses to address the reasons for their failure to deliver the service that is being paid for...

• Bi
    Bill Jul 18, 2008

Have been with Blockbuster about three years now and have put up with it going from a great on-line rental service to nothing more than a scam. Turnaround times are now approaching a week and nothing will be sent out on a Monday or Thursday so as to keep you from returning too many. But, they'll continue to raise the rates and cut back on the benefits. Most movies in queue are either "very long wait" or "coming soon". Yeah, and I can have a fit body by eating chocolate and watching TV 24/7. Customer Service is a joke as your problems are not addressed but spun into some scripted line and responded to in kind. Don't waste your time with this service, you'll regret it!

• Ba
    Barb McVay Sep 24, 2008

I was with Blockbuster Online for several months, then put my account on hold for a month, then cancelled the membership shortly before the billing period restarted. Several weeks later, I signed on to restart the membership. Two days later, I noticed that my VISA was debitted twice for the monthly fee of $15.14. Thinking it was an error, I contacted customer service at Blockbuster, only to receive the most ridiculous explanation of the two charges: Blockbuster charged me a full month's fee for what they describe as a 7-day period between the billing cycle (which they had conveniently changed the date from the 3rd of the month to the 29th of the previous month without notifying me) and the date I put the account on hold. CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS??? Not once did I receive any e-mails from Blockbuster stating that this was a normal procedure or that they were charging me for this 7-day period where I was unable to rent movies anyway! I asked a supervisor to review the complaint and demanded that one of the $15.14 charges be credited back or else I would be cancelling membership altogether. The supervisor wrote the same "canned" response as the first I had received. THESE PEOPLE DON'T CARE WHAT THEY ARE DOING AND THEY ARE WILLING TO LOSE GOOD BUSINESS FOR A MERE $15.14. I will be contacting my bank to report them, as they are submitting unauthorized charages. RENTERS BEWARE!

Blockbuster User Dec 17, 2008

I thought I would share something that has happened twice with Blockbuster online in the last 2 years and something that Blockbuster seems ill equipped to fix. If you attempt to rent a movie from Blockbuster's online service that has an identical name as another (unrelated) title you will run the risk of getting the wrong movie. Blockbuster will not acknowledge that this is a problem. I will offer two examples.

1) Over a year ago I attempted to rent online "Running Scared" a Billy Crystal movie from the 1980s. (Yes, I know it is a terrible movie.) Anyway, Blockbuster sent me the wrong movie. They sent "Running Scared" a totally unrelated movie from 2017. I reported the issue and asked for the movie to be resent. Again, I received the unrelated 2017 movie. Numerous emails could not resolve this issue and I received the wrong version something like 5 times in a row. Finally I gave up. Each time "Running Scared" was labeled to reflect that it was the 1980s version but each time it was actually the 2017 version. I never did receive the correct movie.

2) More recently I tried to get "The Omen" (1976 version) on Blu-Ray disc. Instead I was sent "The Omen" 2017 version on Blu-Ray disc. I reported the issue and this time made the decision to be stubborn and keep reporting the issue until Blockbuster got the movie right. Well, the joke was on me. Blockbuster has now sent me the 2017 version 18 times (!!!) in a row instead of the 1976 version that I originally asked for. This has been going on for months. I have sent scans of the wrong discs, I have called, I have emailed - I even stopped returning the wrong version discs suspecting Blockbuster was sending me the same movie over and over. (I must have 10 incorrect copies at home)

Blockbuster will not fix the problem. (And curiously, they seem to be unaware they are not getting the old movies back) Each time I call or email they will apologize, assure me they are fixing the issue and sometimes even offer some coupon as compensation. What they unable or unwilling to do is actually fix the problem. No attempt at escalation has yielded anyone but a useless support person. I even tried to request the 2017 version a couple of times (even though I now have so many at home) hoping to receive the 1976 version.

I intend to keep trying to get the correct version of "The Omen" on Blu-Ray. At this point it is more about me being stubborn and holding them accountable for delivering the service I pay for than actually wanting the movie. (I must be bored)

Anyway, I thought I would share this story with others as something to think about when trying to decide between Blockbuster Online or Netflix.

• Pe
    Peter M. Geilich Jan 08, 2009

Yes another un-ethical problem with Block Buster online. I recived this account as a Christmas gift from my sister. First Block Buster did not even send me the gift at all, It took my sister over 2 weeks of her time and contact with me to fix the problem. She said in her e-mail with the information that I could use it or cash it in at a local store. At the store the whole story changed, and of course I attempted to download a movie to my computer, of wich I never recived. Becouse of this act I purchased movies through my account to start a closing out effect. Being aware of problems I heard about Block Buster I checked with my bank. And sure enough they refused to accept the gift account and took funds directly from my bank, by the way the value of the gift was a $119 dollars and change. I intend to inform my bank that this was a false purchase and include the 9 e-mails to Block Buster to back this up. And this is not even counting the 3 phone calls to their office. The sad thing is I live on a fixed income and this could couse further problems to pay other bills. I intend putting out flyers to inform the public of this issue, I also intend to file this problem in small claims court in my state. Maybe by these action Block Buster will start acting on complaints, but I doubt it.

• Co
    Corgilady Jan 19, 2009

Just found this site. I was recently charged $21.34 for a rental movie from Blockbuster that they say was never returned. My contract states that I will receive the next movie once the previous movie has been returned. Well, I did receive the next movie so what does that tell me!! I have called customer service 2 times now and am getting no where. The reps don't seem to know a lot. The guy from 2 weeks ago never did follow thru with my complaint! The movie in question was sent back in November and the next movie received in December. Since then I have cancelled my account. I will not use Blockbuster again! I have a confirmation number now but I really don't expect to get any help or have my $21.34 refunded after seeing all the complaints for this company. Will go back to Netflix.

• St
    stjohn83 Feb 15, 2009

I PURCHASED A GIFT SUBSCRIPTION FOR MY MOM 11-28-2017 FOR
    4129.53 WHICH IS TO COVER THE MAX MOVIES 3 AT A TIME FOR 6 MOS. MY MOM HAD MANY REPEATED PROBLEMS WITH BLOCKBUSTERS SERVICE THE FIRST 30 DAYS AND CANCELLED THE GIFT SUBSCRIPTION. THERE ARE 5 MOS REMAINING. AFTER SPEAKING WITH MORE THAN 6 BLOCKBUSTER EMPLOYEES THEY REFUSE TO NOT ONLY REFUND MY CREDIT CARD FOR THE UNUSED PORTION, BUT THEY WON'T EVEN CREDIT MY BLOCKBUSTER ONLINE ACCOUNT. I WAS TOLD BY ALL EMPLOYEES THEY ARE KEEPING THE 5 MOS OF UNUSED SERVICE AND NOT PROVIDING ANY SERVICE. THAT IS THEFT AND CLEARLY THEY ARE CROOKS.

• MAC Feb 15, 2009

$4, 000 DALLORS FOR 6 MPONTHS OF MOVIES FORM BLACKBUSTER'S SOUNDS LIKE A RIPOFF TOO ME, U WOLD BE BETER OFF BUYING YOU'RE MOTHER THE D.V.D.S !!

BLESINGS ETHER WAY

Dr M A CARNARVORO

• To
    toneloco19 Feb 25, 2009

I agree 100% with the first guy. I quit blockbuster as soon as I found out late fees were back. Two months after I cancelled I get an email saying they never recieved my 3 dvds and I was being charged 21.01 for each. When I called all I got was the distribution center never recieved them. They finally said they would credit one movie but I was still out over $40. I pointed out to the rep that they were selling the same movies on the website for $8.99 preowned exactly what they say I got. Come, on if your already givin it to me they could at least have just charged me that price. Thanks! If I would have known that 3 years ago I would have never signed up! Gamefly and Netflix from now on

• Ki
    kirbster Mar 03, 2009

i agree since i had similiar experience with blockbuster.com. i am upset for around the same reason even though mine was for less amount of money.. i paid for the full month of service subscription that was only 19.99. I xcld my serv in the middle of the billing cycle thinking i would still have service for the end of the month(cycle). Well they automatically stopped sending me any movies and when i called customer serv they said that since my accound was xcld no movies would go out and when i asked for my refund for the days that i am prepaid and not getting any service they said they do no give prorated credits back. I was upset even though mine was for a small amount, but either way i believe this is a rip off and they are stealing customers money. But if they do this to everyone imagine all they are stealing from cust! I cant believe they are getting away with this! I was only xcling my account since i was in process of moving... but once my move was complete i didnt go back to blockbuster but am now with Netflix.

• Jm
    J Messina Mar 08, 2009

Blockbuster changed their in-store rental policy without notifying their customers. Instead of getting your next rental in your online que when you took your mailer into one of their stores for an in-store rental (which we pay extra for) they decided that now those in-store rentals counted as part of your online rental que! The only benefit of this was to keep our in-store rentals as long as we wanted, which cheats us out of the extra rentals we paid for, and gives us less rentals. I don't believe any customer in their right mind would want this. I complained, but the same corporate response was given over and over. I finally canceled my account. I encourage all Blockbuster online customers who are outraged at this change to cancel their accounts and tell them why in the email. Their pocketbooks are the only thing they'll listen to, because it sure isn't their customers.

Chuck Mar 13, 2009

I can confirm. I was just told the same thing. I am filing with the BBB and canceling my account too. Hope there is a class-action.

jaime Mar 14, 2009

I wondered all week why Blockbuster had not shipped my next two movies in my queue as I had exchanged them for in store rentals almost a week ago. I discovered today that the reason was because the two I got in the store were being counted as my next two rentals. I told my husband and he told me to check Netflix prices and I can get one more movie at a time for the same price. I immediately canceled my Blockbuster account and told them why and signed up for my free trial at netflix. They have a warehouse close to me so I'm sure it will only a day or two turn around time for my movies with them. I sometimes waited 4 or 5 days for my blockbuster rentals. I too encourage everyone to switch.

Damien Brewster Mar 16, 2009

This happened to us too. This was the third time Blockbuster changed the terms of our account, and every time the effect of the change was to give us less for our money. The first two times, at least Blockbuster notified us of the change. This time, no notice. We sat around and wondered for the last two weeks about why they were only shipping us one movie at a time through the mail instead of two, and I finally called an inquired today, and was told they changed their policy "last March." I said "Do you mean last year in March, or this month?" The change went into effect this month. The customer service representative claimed they sent an email to all their customers, but I can attest to the fact that I either recieved no email, or if I recieved one it was not clearly marked to indicate that it involved a "change to your account" or something to that effect. Here are the comments I left for Blockbuster today when I cancelled our account online:

Since I joined Blockbuster Online, you have unilaterally changed the terms of our account multiple times. Each time, the change has resulted in us recieving less service (movie rentals) for the same amount of money, or the same amount of service for more money. I don't think I even recieved notice of the most recent change- I had to call Blockbuster today and speak to one of your overseas customer service representatives to find out why we were only recieving one rental through the mail instead of two this month. Again, you decided to give us less for our money. Once, OK. Twice, I was mad but I let it slide. But three times? ### you!!! Thats bad business, and I'll be spreading the word.

• Sp
    spmconsumer Mar 19, 2009

Yeah, this is a bogus change. I dumped NetFlix for BB the month they announced their BBOnline program. I haven't really minded the small increases in price (I'm still grandfathered and getting the $35 plan for $21/mo). However, this new policy change takes away the ENTIRE reason I use them--my kids get the exchanges, my wife and I get the queue.

I'm going to give them a few weeks to fix this while I start my NetFlix trial. If they don't smarten up, they will lose my guaranteed $20/mo. I seriously doubt that this decision will net them more revenue--they're losing guaranteed revenue for what?

• Ay
    aywyndham Mar 21, 2009

I am outraged! I too have been waiting patiently to receive the next two movies in my que, finally I decided to check my account online to see what was the hold and noticed that two movies I'd rented in-store were counted as mailouts! That is GARBAGE! I am sending them a complaint and also letting them know that they just lost another $22 bucks a month! I'm switching to NetFlix IMMEDIATELY!!! I encourage others to do the same as this is just out right crazy and crappy service!!!

• Me
    Melissa Mar 27, 2009

I totally agree! I have sent several complaints and no responses from Block Buster. Looks like Netflix and BBB complaint is next. They were warned.

Sam Mar 29, 2009

I just noticed on 3/27/09 that they had not sent me my second online movie so decided to email them. They told me that as long as I had a movie from the store that they would not send me a new movie until I returned the one I had from the store. I check what it said on my account profile and it said unlimited access two movies at a time in store and online. I was upset so the next day I called the store where I rent my movies and asked her if she could give me corporates phone number she said she might be able to help me. I asked her when they had changed the online policy she said it had changed three weeks ago and she said that they had emailed everyone with this information and I did mention to her that I never received that email. I just thought that I might have accidently deleted it, but now that I have been reading about how other customers where not notified them . I do hope that someone starts a class action lawsuit against them.

dagerm Apr 06, 2009

Same thing happened to me, and not the first time. If you have an "unlimited online rentals" plan, here's an idea until someone sues them: return every movie you get the same day or the next day, by mail. If you have no time to watch it, just put it into your queue and get it again. And don't bother going to the store to return it -- always use mail. This way, they get nailed with shipping charges, and at least they aren't making a profit off of your subscription.

mastern Apr 12, 2009

Haha, I was wondering what the hell was going on. I was looking for a reason to switch to Netflix and be able to download movies considering now I can do it through Tivo. I'm almost happy Blockbuster gave me a reason to. I'll have to thank them the next, and final time, I enter one.

• Li
    Liz1984 Apr 19, 2009

OMG! I was also wondering if anyone was as outraged as I am. I been exchanging emails with them over a week now, they just keep replying the same thng. Like a damn robot! Their new policy is so ridiculous. I am definitely switching to Netflix. I hope that Netflix becomes #1, after all they were the first company that came out with that idea until greedy Blockbuster started to copy them. This is why they are getting sued now. I have been with Blockbuster since the beginning because of the advantge of renting in-store, but now there is no point. I also encourage everyone to switch immediately.

• Ed
    Ed Aug 05, 2009

I accidentally returned a rental PS3 game from Blockbuster to Blockbuster Online instead of the movie I had received from them. When they sent the e-mail saying they received it, I right away e-mailed them back to let them know about the error and asked them to return the game to either me or the store. I was told that it was very slim that I would get it back due to large volumn turnover. I have now been charged 60.00 by the local blockbuster for not returning the game even though I told them what I had done and they have not returned the game to me. What racket!!! i have cancelled my account and will never spend another penny in their store and will make sure to tell as many people as i can what rip off Blockbuser is!!!

MAR3 Oct 16, 2009

The same thing happened to us after we retried BB Online after a long break. Not only is this a horrible punishment to members, it cuts the value of the package in half. You get half as many movies as with the old policy!

But if this is not frustration enough for their customers, they will ship your Series put in Queue out of order! If you really like watching Disc 5 before 1 and 3 before 2, stay with Blockbuster Online. If not, try Netflix, Amazon, or your local pawn shop.

BB told me to start 'locking' the series so they are forced to come in order. But apparently their system on the otherside is falling to pieces because they STILL kept shipping them out of order. When I asked why they were skipping all over our queue, it was 'so we wouldn't have to wait so long.' Well, I'd rather wait a day or two for the right disk then to keep getting random disks from random series in queue.

But their implication was the system was falling to pieces -- why? Because of the new -- no return date thing! Well, we didn't ask for it. It was their 'great' idea to punish us for renting from the stores. And how one thing tangled back to the other? I don't know. And if it meant adding a due date to our return mailings to get the system running smoothly again -- why didn't they?

Customer service is in the Phillippines. Those emails you get are from posers pretending to be US citizens. A customer service agent admitted to me they 'launder' their complaint reports that are given to BB. So BB is apperently operating with their head up their ###. Which is evident.

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

Maybe you should of checked your envelope before you sent it off? It's your fault that the game was sent off.

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

4 grand for 6 months you dont know what your talking about. Your post fails.

• Ny
    nyscilla Dec 10, 2009

I joined BB Online because I like the idea of in store exchanges. During my free two week trial, I got the wrong movie twice and had blockbuster ship and receive one movie the same day(??). I was already disappointed but decided to give it 3 months because the in-store exchanges were great. Well after 1 month of continued problems (damaged discs and continued wrong movies) I was still on plan to give BB 3 months. Then they double billed me for December. After 20+ minutes on a phone with a rude, difficult to understand customer service rep (who also refused to let me speak to a supervisor) I canceled the account. The day before my account was actually supposed to be billed. No surprise BB has failed to refund my charge. I have sent several e-mails (I can't deal with spending another twenty minutes talking to one of their inept CS reps), obtained reference numbers and been promised a reply within 24 hours. Not heard a single thing. Do NOT deal with Blockbuster you WILL be disappointed and likely ripped off.

• Go
    Gopple Feb 10, 2010

This company certainly knows how to work you over and obtain maximum revenue at consumer loss! A few years ago they had a $19.99 plan that allowed 3 discs at a time with UNLIMITED in store exchanges. They since changed that plan to allow only FIVE exchanges per month unless you want to pay them almost DOUBLE at nearly $40 for unlimited. Just two days ago I found out they changed their plan AGAIN. Now you can NOT exchange movies in store for free or the reduced $1.99 AND have movies sent from online too. Your in store rentals count as your rentals too so you have to return them first. They say "this great new feature lets you keep the movies as long as you want"...yea from a company that ALREADY markets no late fees..so what's the new benefit? Nothing. Basically it is forcing people who want to obtain online rentals rapidly to return their in store rentals at a MUCH faster rate and not keep them forever or otherwise...suffer by getting a whole lot less each month through the mail. So Blockbuster wins either way...you pay extra for getting less movies every month or have to return them faster so they can rent them out in store at a faster rate and make even more money. Quite the little scam huh? Try Netflix! I'm going to!

SarahLee12 Feb 26, 2010

I absolutely agree. And I only had the free trial. They charged me for service and then charged me another 19.99 for a dvd they never sent me after I canceled my membership. I have never dealt with ruder or more incompetent customer service. And I wish I would have never delt with their business at all. Nightmare. After this cancled trial they have my credit card number and it makes me very nervous,

Sarah

• Jb
    jbw695 Apr 13, 2010

I was a member of Blockbuster Online and started with unlimited rentals and the format was Blu Ray. I changed my subscription to 2 per month later on.

My first problem was the time it took to get a movie. It took a couple of days longer to get a movie versus Netflix.

Second on one occasion the next movie on my queue was available as it was just being released and they sent me a different movie. They then said that I had to change my queue format to say I would wait a couple of days to get the movie next on my list.

Third and the reason I am writing this complaint is that they sent me a movie in DVD format instead of Blu Ray and it was available in Blu Ray. When I said they sent me the wrong movie they sent me another one and it was still in the DVD format. I complained and was told that I had to change my preference to Blu Ray. It already was in Blu Ray. I sent the movie back immediately. The real problem just began. As I said I only have 2 rentals per month. The wrong movie was sent in February but the replacement movie to fix the wrong movie was sent in March. When I asked when my second movie was going to be shipped I was told I had already received two movies in March. I wrote back and explained that one movie was there fault as they shipped the wrong format of the movie twice and that it should not count as a second movie as the original movie was for the month before. They wrote back that a wrong movie counts as a rental.

I sent three emails all stating I was going to cancel my account, call my credit card company and post a complaint if they did not fix this and all three times they did not care and said a second movie was not going to be sent. The last email asked them to forward my email or complaint to someone who could fix this. That was never done and I received no repsonse at all. So here I am account closed, credit card called and posting this complaint.

The best I received was an e-certificate to a store but they closed all their stores in my area and withing 75 miles three or four years ago so that did nothing for me.

Do not use the Blockbuster online service. I should have looked up complaints prior to switching from Netflix to save a few dollars as the past 10 months have been one problem after another.

Blockbuster former customer Apr 26, 2010

I been with Blockbuster on-line since it has started. lately, they haven't been sending me the promised 3 dvd's at a time instead, im getting one at a time. blockbuster sucks! they donot address my complaints instead they asked me to calcel my subscription if Im not happy with their services. Im really disappointed. what happen to the good old fashion customer care?

• Se
    SeekConsumerJustice May 09, 2010

I subscribed to Blockbuster's online plan for $19.99 back in 2017. It was a good deal for awhile since originally you could rent 3 disks at a time and exchange in-store rentals instead of having to wait for exchanges in the mail. Netflix, however has a far superior deal now for a much better price (less than $10), especially with the instant streaming through a Blu-Ray player or online.

I attempted to cancel the Blockbuster service in June of 2017. They have continued to charge me to this day, May 8, 2017. I have called repeatedly, then put me on hold for long wait times (10-30 minutes) and then the line gets disconnected. I've disputed the charges with my credit card company, cancelled the card and order a new one. Somehow they keep charging me for something I can't even use anymore. It's been almost 3 years of a nightmare with Blockbuster and I am glad they are going bankrupt. With dishonest and criminal business practices like I have experienced with them, they deserve it. I hope the government investigates and brings suit against them.

terrible scam!

I have never had charges taken out of my bank from Blockbuster for full price of item if not returned on time...

bad service

I have been a Gold Member from blockbuster and have never had a problem with their service until tonight. I went with my 10 year old son and wife to rent some movies. There were two employees on the night shift at this location, one by with the tag name of "Kay" and another by the name of "Andi".

I took one movie from the shelf in the wall and Andi said to me: "You can't rent that movie", so I politely replied: "Why not? It's on the shelf" and she said to me with an attitude: "Because its not out until tomorrow, can't you read the sign?" (she was referring to a small hand written paper sign with tomorrow's date on it). At this point, the other one "Kay" jumped in saying sarcastically to "Andi", "Looks like we are going to have to make bigger signs for some people".

Astonished, I looked back at "Kay" and said to her: "Please don't give me an attitude, I'm a customer." And she said, "We're not giving you attitude you're the blind one that can't read the sign!". And she turned to Andi and said: "Some people are so dumb, I just can't wait to go home" (it was 10:40pm).

This really offended me and I replied, "Wow, you guys really need to learn about customer service." and I continued browsing what was on the shelves. At this point I felt like walking out of the store and changing to Netflix or something. But then I reasoned that this was not the Brand's fault but rather an employee training/ selection issue.

When it was time to pay, there was no one on the counter. They had me wait about five minutes intentionally and then Andi showed up to process my order with an evil grin. I said to her, "You guys are making a mistake treating me like this. I'm a Blockbuster Gold Member and I've always been a good customer spending lots of money in this store." She replied: "Oooooh a Gold Member, WOW!" I said, "Yes a Gold Member and not only that, I will be complaining with your store manager about your sarcasm" and she said: "Well Mr. Gold Member you have $7 dollars in late fees, and this is how we make our money so you have to pay up before I can rent you any of those movies". I said, "yes, I know and of course I'll pay it, but at any rate this is not how you make your money, but clearly how the company makes it."

Then Andi went on to type in the computer system that I'm a "complete #" for other employees to see when in reality I was the victim of their lack of customer service skills. I have never been called an "#" in my lifetime. And this front line employee goes on to type it in my Blockbuster Receipt as well!

And yes I have the copy of this receipt, with the word "#" typed in and with the blockbuster branding on it! Talk about proof of a customer being mistreated with verbal abuse.

I feel aggrieved with the lack of customer service from this store. I was treated with verbal abuse and sarcasm from two employees in front of my wife and 10 year old son, and have the proof. Three witnesses and a typed blockbuster receipt with the words "complete #" on it.

I'm sure these two employees were probably having a bad day and decided to vent it with me, but why should I as the customer have to put up with this?

PS. The CSR No. on my receipt from Andi is 08874. I don't have the other CSR number but she had a tag with the name of "Kay".

• Qw
    Qwerty Jul 14, 2008

High horse alert!

Charlied72 Oct 25, 2009

You should of not been talked to that way. You handled your self well and that should never happen.

bait and switch!

Over the past summer Blockbuster video online enticed me to leave the Netflix online video service with a 'plan' of four (4) movies at a time in the mail with the option of trading them out for new movies at the store located in my city. I also received one BONUS coupon per month online to use as I pleased. Well isn't that a wonderful 'plan'? Yes my friends it was and I took the BAIT! This past November they informed me that I was no longer going to receive four (4) movies at a time but only three (3) AND I was no longer to receive the BONUS movie! This DOWNGRADE in 'plan' was actually going to cost me MORE a month than the original 'plan'!!

The E-mail that informed me of the NEW 'plan' stated that my subscription would run out if I didn't renew my subscription by the end of the month under the terms of the NEW 'plan'. I ignored the E-mail quite content to let my old 'plan' run out on the renewal date. I was cut off 10 FULL days before the renewal date because I didn't re-up. I was being RAILROADED into re-upping!! After SEVERAL E-mails which were answered with offers of cheaper and newer 'plans' I finally found a customer service (d) number (go ahead! Try and find it on the website!) and my card was credited the 10 days.

This gets better my friends. After re-considering for a few days, I decided that even at three (3) movies a month (still WITHOUT out the bonus coupon remember!) it was a semi-decent deal because you could do the exchanges at the store. I reluctantly renewed my subscription. ONE month into my NEW 'plan' I received an E-mail that said my NEW 'plan' was no longer valid and would be replaced by a NEWER NEW 'plan'!! Now this NEWER NEW 'plan' was going to cost me 10 DOLLARS MORE a month!!

I ignored the E-mail TOTALLY convinced now that I would NEVER do business with Blockbuster again. They charged my credit card AGAIN at the end of the month at the HIGHER rate WITHOUT my authorization!!! Again with the phone call and again with the crediting of my card! I IMMEDIATELY renewed my subscription with Netfix! They are FASTER, FRIENDLIER, CHEAPER, and DEFINITELY have a clue what customer service is all about! YES my friends you CAN find THEIR customer service (not SERVICED!) number on THEIR website!

The following is the text of an E-mail I received from Blockbuster shortly after I canceled the NEWER NEW 'plan'...

Hello Kevin,

Thanks for contacting BLOCKBUSTER Online Customer Care.

I appreciate you taking the time to notify us, Kevin Our goal is to strike the right balance between providing great value to our subscribers and getting a fair return for the company and our shareholders. We want to provide a variety of subscription plans to meet the needs of all our customers, both in-store and online. It's important for us to give consumers the most convenient access to media entertainment, whether thats through our stores or by mail, and are dedicated to doing that with flexible plans and pricing.

We've reviewed our pricing structure and have found that to get a better balance of providing great value for Total Access subscribers while still making it affordable for us, as of December 27, 2007, we have restructured the prices of our Total Access subscription plans. Please note that we're not changing any plan benefits; you'll continue to get all the same great benefits and value from Total Access. Of course, you're always free to change your plan.

We do offer Mail Only plans at extremely competitive prices. For example, we offer 3 out unlimited for $16.99 per month, 2 out unlimited for $13.99 per month, 1 out unlimited for $8.99 per month, and a recently reduced price of 1 out/2 max per month for only $3.99 per month. We are happy to offer a wide variety of options to meet the needs to every customer.

Nathan
Customer Care Associate
BLOCKBUSTER Online

The 'crock'holders weren't making enough MONEY??? My FIRM belief is that I was watching and sending back movies too fast so they wanted rid of me. They LOVE people that hang onto their movies for days or even a weeks! That way the 'crock'holders can somehow feed their children! The corporate greed and unethical business practices in this country are becoming epidemic friends. SOMEONE (we ALL) have to stand up and SCREAM we've had enough! My head is no longer in the sand and I'm learning not to be so DAMN spoiled! I will eventually learn to do without before I'll be EXTORTED!

terrible experience!

While attempting to use a never opened Blockbuster Gift Certificate my wife and I were told by the frightened store employee that it had no money on it (it was void). Now we opened the card in front of the employee and had never used it. He offered reluctantly to contact his Manager (whom I assumed was in the store). He called her at home and she let him know that there was nothing she could or would do. The Gift Card was void and it was our bad luck.

My complaint is not with the employee or Manager, although they could have been a little better at problem solving. My complaint is with Blockbuster who does not empower their staff to make decisions. These staff members honestly saw that we were out money but could do nothing to make the situation right. Instead Blockbuster just gobbled up the cost of the Gift Certificate. 100% profit at the customers expense.

In a time of retail short comings Blockbuster is happy to rock back and rest on it's fat rump. The question I ask is how long until it understands the value of the average customer... Stay away people!

• Te
    Terry Voots Jan 03, 2008

Yes we too experienced the same exact Blockbuster scam. It happens to often and is obviously an intentional scam. Most people go to jail for it. We need to have some of the honest people turn in the proof to put them behind bars.

They have to cheat customers to make money. What does that tell you

false advertising!

The blockbuster company sent out leaflets advertising nintendow will for £161.00 knowing they cant provide them. I have spoken to them, they are not willing to take a deposit as they cant guarantee they will get any in, but this is what they said a month before. The adverts were put out, they were also unwilling to take my name to let me know when or indeed if they come in my complaint is, they have done this purely to get people into their stores and speaking of the same why didn't the monopolys competition get involved with blockbuster taking over every movie rental shop in ipswich.

poor service!

The Blockbuster that I am referring to is in Ft. Pierce, Florida on South US Hwy 1. Beware, this location has several issues. Not only does the quality of movies for the birds. Consider yourself lucky if the movie even plays. I have had many problems with dealing with just getting employee's to honor their advertised promotions. Staff members are unwilling, unconcerned with even making sure that movies are in the right cases. On various visits I have come home with the wrong movie disk in the wrong case. After having so many issues and getting such cocky attitude I have come here to at least try to advise others that it not worth the blockbuster price. Go elsewhere or try Netflix.com I have not had any issues with their products or services and I don't have to deal with some punk who doesn't have a solution in helping any of the problems.

horrible customer service at the local block buster store

I am a regular customer at the block buster store (680 Bound Brook Rd Middlesex, NJ [protected]). I usually visit the store once a week and rent movies and in addition I always buy pre - viewed movies. I had been visiting the store for sometime now.

This evening (07/13/2007) I visited the store and I had asked the customer service person that I need to exchange a movie that I had bought the previous week had some problems.

The customer service person (Sean) asked me to go and find the movie myself to exchange the movie. I couldn’t locate the movie and went and asked for help and he was just standing between the aisle and he asked me to go and ask to the girl in the front desk for help. I picked up some pre viewed movies (with an intent to buy them - I usually buy previewed movies every week). I had also taken a movie for renting also.

I was standing in the line and the girl (I didn’t know her name) was helping me with the sale. I had given my block buster rental card for the movie I wanted to rent and the four movies I wanted to buy (The deal was to buy two movies and get two movies free). The girl had some issues with doing the sale so she went and got Sean and he said that one of movies also had a sale sticker but he said that that movie was not on pre viewed sale.

So I told him that I am not interested in buying the movies as I am not getting the deal. He also ringed the movie I had asked for a return also as a purchase and I told him that that it was already purchased and so asked him not to ring that movie as a sale again.

He said something to himself and returned everything back and he returned the movie that I wanted to rent also. I had used my free movie coupon for that and he voided it and he said that if I can’t rent the movie with the free coupon.

I lost one free credit on the coupon and didn’t get the movie I wanted to watch and I asked him to get me the store manager and he said that the manager is on vacation and he is the one in charge and he couldn’t do anything about it. I asked him why he had returned the rental movie without me asking him to do that and he didn’t respond to that.

In the meantime the girl went and got the movie I wanted to return and he said that I have to wait as there is a line building up. There were four computers and three people working at the store and the girl was asking Sean whether she could help me in the next register and he said "no". I waited for four people to rent the movies and then he just swapped the movies (didn’t ring the movie I wanted an exchange) and gave it to me. I asked him for the movie which I wanted to rent and he said that I can only use the coupon once and he wouldn’t rent that movie to me.

I was insulted and humiliated at the store in front of other people at the store and also in front of the other sales people. I asked him if there is a corporate office number as I would want to notify of this experience and he said that he wouldn’t give it to me and I can look at the website for further information.

He was smiling as if he had done something great to the other person working at the store and I can see the other person working at the store not feeling good about what is happening at the store. When he kept me waiting at the store I asked why the other registers are not open and he pretended as if he did not hear me.

I had left a message for the store manager but never heard from him!

terrible customer treatment!

I have been using Blockbuster Online for the last 9 or so months. The delivery has been slow, approximating 3-4 business for me to get the movie. But it did not really bother me, as we were remodeling our house and did not have as much spare time to watch the movies. When Total Access started, I began to return the movies to the local Blockbuster, so my kids could get instant gratification through their kids' movies and we would wait for our movies through mail. It seemed that the shipping was even slower when we returned it to the store. After multiple complaints, they said they finally set-up their systems to be connected with local Blockbusters, but it still did not solve my problem. It got so bad at some point that I did not receive a movie for 10 days. So I began to bombard them with inquiries, saying, that's almost 1/3 of the month and I am missing out on my rentals. After 10-12 exchanges with customer service for about 3 weeks, they finally shipped me a few movies and gave me a free 1 month of subscription, for which they charged me! So I had to go back and tell them it is supposed to be free - as in no charge - and they had to reimburse me after 2-3 exchanges again. After this, I noticed they added these nice "Returned at the Store*" signs by your movies in Queue. So I thought, ok, my feedback helped. During the next two months, they sent me two scratched up and broken DVDs, so I again sent feedback and asked to re-send. Then they sent a wrong DVD and I again sent notification, asking for the right movie to be sent. Then a few days ago, I got an email saying, we "noticed a large number of DVD customer service issues reported on your account" and therefore we will suspend it while we review your account. I sent a complaint saying, "thanks for the way you treat your customers who provide you with feedback to allow for better service" and then they canceled my account! What does that tell you about their service?!

• To
    Tony Lau Jul 29, 2007

So I'm not alone in this. Recently I was notified that my BB On-Line membership was suspended because "there have been a large number of customer service issues reported for my online subscription service over the past few months." A couple of days later I received a hostile email from BB On-line saying my membership has been cancelled. When I was finally able to speak to a customer service rep, she told me that I have been "expelled" from membership. "I can't tell you anything more," she said, "I wasn't the one who cancelled your membership." I find this kind of comment from a cust svc rep, who is supposed to represent the business and not herself, unacceptable. Surely I made numerous complaints about their service, ranging from shipping the wrong disks, putting disks in mismatched jackets, shipping damaged disks, and delays in shipment causing lapses in my queue. Now they cancelled my membership because I have complained too much, as if I have committed some gross crime !! What a way to treat a customer!! I wrote them a letter of complaint, but never heard back. I just filed a complaint with Better Business Bureau.

• Ke
    k elswick Aug 10, 2007

Same thing happened to me. Was paying for 3 movies at a time and only receiving 2. Complained about it and then my account was suspended and then canceled. Blockbuster sucks.

• Th
    Thomas Sep 05, 2007

I was a customer of BB online for about 7 months. BB decided that they were going to up their rates at the end of August, also this is the second time they have raised their rates. My subscription started from the 14th of the month and continued on for a month. So, on August 14th they charged my account the full price and then canceled my account on September 1st without notifying me. I called them and told them that I was just charged for four weeks and received only two. They sent me a couple of coupons, gee thanks. I think I will be giving Netflix a chance. BB good luck, you were already going under. Next time remember some business is better then NO business.

Andrew Sep 14, 2007

I'm so happy that I did a google search and found this website.

I'm currently going through the same process.

They either ship me scratched and damaged DVDs.

Several times for the past years, I don't receive movies at all for nearly two weeks.

I've asked to speak to someone on the phone, but now that I know that they're going to try cancelling me, I think I'll switch over completely to Netflix.

• Ed
    Edward Mar 12, 2008

Yeap, thank God I cancelled on time since in less than 6 months they raised their "basic" "Total access" more than double!
    Total BS, Netflix aint that good either, I guess I'll try Hollywood Video

• De
    Deborah Barham May 16, 2008

I have been having the same problem. It is taking a week or longer to get my movies shipped. This is dated 05/16/08. Nice to know they will probably cancel my account. What terrible customer service. They have stopped responding to my emails.

• Je
    Jenn Jun 19, 2008

I just received the "we may have to investigate your account if you keep complaining" email. A threat? I don't think so. Our month ends next week. I'll wait til they send me my next 3 movies and then guess what, I'll cancel and they can beg me to come back in a few months after we revert to netflix. I wish they weren't so greedy! I think they're getting a fair deal. We rent approx 15 movies/month for $20. If we weren't on a plan, we'd rent far less. I would NEVER go to Blockbuster and pay $4/movie. They're fooling themselves if they think this is the way to increase revenues.

• Ji
    Jim Jul 04, 2008

My account with Blockbuster was suspended after 4 years because they said they were unable to charge my credit card. The same one I have been using all along. I called AMEX and was told there were no problems with my account and that there were no declined charges from Blockbuster. The customer service rep at Blockbuster told me that they would attempt to charge my monthly fee again in 10 days. He also stated that my billing cycle would remain the same. So I was supposed to wait 10 days with no service while they worked out their technical issues and I was going to foot the bill for that time. UNBELIEVABLE!!! Customer (non)service was a huge waste of my time and energy. I went to NETFLIX and signed up(with the same credit card BTW) and had my movies the next day.

• Ki
    kimberly knox Jul 05, 2008

On July5, 2008, I arrived at Blockbuster in Louisville, Ky. at 10:10 a.m., and the store was not open. The store number is 21435. At 10:15a.m., I left the parking lot to go home as another lady was pulling up at blockbuster, whom I thought was the employee but was not. At 11 a.m., I contacted the store at home, and an employee answered the phone and stated that the store was open. I therefore, I drove back to blockbuster, and the store still was not opened. The lady that had pulled up when I left the first time at 10:15 a.m., was still sitting there and stated she did not know why the store was not opened. We could see the employee walking around, but she still had not opened the store. As I sat in my car, thinking the store was going to eventually open, I also told other customers that the store still wasn't open yet. They asked me why, and I told them that I did not know. My question is why didn't the employee have the store opened at 10 a.m. so that myself and others could rent more movies? What the employee did this morning was a very bad reflection on blockbuster. I am considering closing my account due to what I experienced this morining. In my opinion, the employee could have posted a note on the door stating that the store would not be opened at regular time. As bad as the economy is, including gas, why should blockbuster customers have to make 2 to 3 trips, due to the store not being open on time. I will contact a representative on Monday to follow up with this complaint. I DO NOT feel that blockbuster members should be treated in this manner. My question is what is going to be the solution if this problem arises again?

january jane Jul 16, 2008

I had experienced may of the same problems from Blockbuster Online. I am shocked and disgusted at the way I have been treated by customer service. I am planning on making a complaint at their corporate office. Here is the information if anyone else would like to do the same.

Blockbuster Inc.
    1201 Elm Street
    Dallas, TX 75270
    Phone: 214-854-3000
    Fax: 214-854-4848

• Al
    alan Aug 08, 2008

i recently bought a xbox from walkden manchester.secondhand for 30pound with 4 second hand games.i was stunned when i got home to see that only 1 of these games was in working order.i took the faulty disk back then exchnged them.the day after i was really annoyed that 1 wasnt even working, so i took it back again i did an exchange.today i bought four second hand games, and i was pissed offf so much they all had to go back all 4 of them.they crash or dont even load.not once did they say sorry for the mess up.the manager REFUSED to give me her name..i spoke perfectly calm about the state of the disks.they wernt in perfect order which was ok, but to tell me THEY WERE ALL TREYED AND TESTED WAS A LIE, no on gods earth could anyone be that unlucky..DOES ANYONE NO WHO I CAN EMAIL ABOUT THE BLOCKBUSTERS IN WALKDEN CENTER..thnks alan.ps please send to my email if you have have the same story.and please email me the address where i can send my conplaint.THANKS AGAIN. [email protected]

• Al
    alan Aug 08, 2008

IVE READ ALL THE ABOVE COMPLAINTS AND DECIDED THAT BLOCKBUSTERS SHOULD BE ASHAMED...I CLOSED MY ACCOUNT AND IM NOT EVER GOING TO USE THIS CRAP BLOCKBUSTER AGAIN..CUSTUMERS ARENT TO BE IGNORED AND TREATED LIKE CATTLE...

• Sh
    Shayla Oct 23, 2008

Blockbuster said I never returned a movie when I specifically remembered returning it because it was due back before I had a chance to even watch the movie. They charged me full price for for the movie and I cancelled my account. What a joke!

• Mr
    Mrs. Nov 08, 2008

My recent experience with Blockbuster's customer support was frustrating and terrible. They make it very easy for you to give them your money, but the smallest problem will reveal just how little they care about you as a customer.

Not only do they not value their customers, they don't even have a phone number on their website. The only way to contact them is through a feedback form on their website.

I filled out their "feedback" form, asking for help in resetting my password. I explained in detail that the normal password-reset procedure didn't work. I received an automated reply with steps on how to reset the password! So I sent them a second "feedback" message, asking for their help in resetting my password.

Only after using their feedback form twice did I get a response from a real person with Blockbuster's phone number.

Once I finally got the secret phone number, I was treated to a dysfunctional voice menu system. It would say things like "If you do not know your account number, say 'I don't know it.'" Long pause...then it would kick me back to the main menu!

After 8 minutes dealing with their voice menu system, I was finally routed to a call center in the Philippines, where I waited 15 minutes on hold.

The man I spoke with was Eugene, who was incompetent and had no common sense. For example, he told me that, in order to change my password, I would need to log into my account. Now I'm getting irritated. Several times he put me on hold, doing who knows what. But I do know he wasn't resetting my password.

He told me to go to this weird URL: http://www.blockbuster.com/download/digital/checkout/chat/

What the hell? Of course it gave me a "404 Error: Page Not Found." At this point, my frustration is building, and I finally just asked, "Eugene, do you have the capability to reset my password or not?" Long pause...then he said no.

I told him to transfer me to the cancellation department.
    He told me they didn't have one! "Then how do I cancel my account?", I asked. He once again told me I would need to log into my account to cancel it. "Eugene, do you understand that I called you tonight because I cannot access my account?" This is when he put me on hold again. When he came back, he said he would reset my password!

Before my next billing cycle, I'm going to cancel my Blockbuster online subscription and just go back to Netflix. I've never had problems with them. Sure I've had problems while a Netflix customer, but they took care of me and I never had a problem WITH Netflix. So Netflix, here I come!

• Ri
    Richard Mar 13, 2009

After 3 years of being a loyal customer, this business changed a prior agreement, stopped sending me 3 movies at a time as promised.Complaints directly to Blockbuster were not satisfied.

• Pi
    PISSED OFF MEMBER Mar 14, 2009

they changed their plan rules and they suck!
    they now count the free in store exchange as a movie being shipped which means if you return two movies they will not ship anymore until you return the in store free rentals plus you still have a limited in store exchange which shouldnt be if they are counting my free exchange as if they shipped it out to me.
    im pissed off and may go back go netflix. at least there customer service was alot better and where always there to answer a question.

I think EVERY ONE WHO READS THESE COMPLAINTS AND AGREES SHOULD VOICE THEIR COCERNS BY VISITING: http://www.blockbuster.com/browse/help/contactUs

NOT MATTER IF YOUR A MEMBER OR NOT

BLOCKBUSTER ONLINE IS REALLY BEGINNING TO SUCK!!!

• Fr
    frustrated Apr 15, 2009

Blockbuster Online customer suppport sucks big time! With their stupid policy change mentioned above (they now count the free in store exchange as a movie being shipped) I can't get all the movies I'm paying for.
    On a side note, the free exchange at the store was one of the major reasons I chose blockbuster over netflix in the 1st place, and now they really have no edge.

I called customer service because I never recieved a movie and checked my queue to see when the stupid DVD was coming, and saw that it was exchanged for some crappy movie I saw at a location I don't even vist. I called customer service to tell them it was not me who used the coupon and all they could say was "We don't see that your account rented this movie, perhaps a family member used it" I informed them this was not the case and that whoever used the coupon was not authorized to do so and I want that movie off my queue (it shouldn't even be linked to my account in the 1st place!!!) since they obviously didn't use my membership card. They said they would have it cleared up, but the movie is still in my queue and I am unable to get another movie until the let's call them coupon thief returns the movie if they ever do.

Does anyone else have trouble with cusomter support? I mean where they just try to read off a script and talk over you? Like I called to report that it wasn't me who used the DVD coupon and had a rental out and the lady just kept telling my store account wasn't used to rent it...REALLY THIS IS WHY I'M CALLING!!

This shouldn't even be happening...I am still paying for membership and if they took the time to investigate they could find out who rented that movie on that day and either get them to return the movie or charge them. This is so crazy that they can use a DVD coupon that probably got delivered to the wrong mailbox and hold my queue up!!!

They need to remove it and figure out how to stop this. I'm just going to cancel and go to netflix after this month is up.

haha ok sorry just had to get it out, I mean it's a simple fix and they are not doing it for me

• El
    elaine897578677 Oct 12, 2009

Man, I completely agree. The first week I had blockbuster with my trial was great. I got 5 total movies with the 3 out at a time policy. The second week is when all the problems started. They sent me a DVD that was scratched to hell and after I reported it as "unplayable" they refused to send me anymore DVD's so I had to cancel. Weds, Thurs, Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday went by with three available slots in my queue and nothing was being shipped. Their excuse was all the rentals are "new and unavailable" so I added 100 old releases to my queue and still nothing. I figured Blockbuster out, they try to impress you the first week and then all your problems start in week 2. Take my advice go to netflix, you will receive movies every 2 days. One day to ship them back and one day for them to receive the DVD. Wtih a 2 out at a time plan with netflix, I can probably get 16-20 dvd's a month which is a lot more than it looks like I was going to get with blockbuster and I had a 3 out at a time, 5 in store trade in plan. I only had 7 dvd's shipped to me from blockbuster in two weeks, and I traded into the store once so 8 total, and nothing shipped at all in week 3, so say they sent me 2 or 3 more week 4...that's only 11 dvd's for a price that is about 5 bucks more than Netflix. You do the math.

• Am
    Amanda17603 Oct 05, 2012

Majority of you all (maybe all) have had horrible experiences with BB try having one in person with a Manager. I went into a store to rent 3 movies and decided to only INFORM the manager that each time I RETURN a movie blockbuster leaves me a voicemail stating they are going to charge me for the entire cost of the movie Unless it is returned. The movie had already been returned by me and 2-3 weeks later I get a voicemail stating I will be charged full price for a movine that blockbuster already has. This happened to me twice, the last incident a young man over the phone told me that it was due to the movie being placed in a drawer instead of being checked in, which he did while on the phone with me and apologized. I told the manager on duty of this incident and he stated, "Well the barcode must have been rubbed off, because we don't just throw movies in a drawer. Let me pull up your account." He said well, I don't see where someone told you the movie was in a drawer and we refunded you the money." As if I am just going to make that up. I only wanted the manager to be aware that I keep getting phone calls when I return movies so please fix it! He insisted that I was refunded. Tyler (manager), I understand. I am simply trying to inform you of an issue I (a customer) am having. He was argumentatvie and defensive. I asked for a refund for the movies that I thought I was going to rent and asked Tyler for the number to corporate. He gave me the number to a customer survey. REALLY Blockbuster!? You employee dishonest people who have no understanding of quality customer service. Furthermore, if people do not keep a watchful eye on their bank accounts we will be charged for movies that we have already returned. Would that not be considered stealing? How many stores has blockbuster had to close? Why is that?

collections & restocking fee!

I have been a blockbuster costumer for a long time now and it the last year at blockbuster I have spent a lot of money at three different locations and I received a letter in the mail stating that if my restocking fee of six dollars isn't paid then they will seek further matters. Let me ask you this if you owned a business and they spent all this money on movies would you bother them for six dollars? Maybe you would but now since I am so mad I take my business else where. Kinda funny when you can see the Rodgers video store from Blockbuster. So if any one is seeking employment in a field that obviously doesn't require a lot of thought give blockbuster a try!!! Very Smart!

Blockbuster Employee Aug 16, 2007

Now imagine if people all over the world had the same attitude about $6.00 bucks. It adds up to billions of dollars that the company loses just because your mad about a movie that YOU didn't return on time.

Chuck Nelson Dec 07, 2007

I rented a dvd of the Bourne Ultimatum... it won't play all the way through on my dvd player or my computer's dvd drive. Is it a legitimate dvd? How honest are these people? How satisfying is a refund argument? Is Corporate America patriotic?

david Jan 12, 2008

How honest is Blockbuster or the movie industry or the people that make the DVDs? I have seen an entire shippment of DVDs that were blank.

Jason Oct 05, 2008

Pay your bill deadbeat! Stop complaining.

woodbury Nov 04, 2008

many answers, blockbuster employees cannot refund cash for a defective movie, they can only exchange it for another copy of that movie. two if you don't return your movies, please pay the fee, they have that so they can get their movies back instead of people keeping movies and making the business go out of business just because customers want to get as much free as they can. respect the reasoning that they are a business and they need to make money to give you more movies to rent. plus it is not your property when you have the movies, it is blockbusters and they have the right to charge for their property, or it is stolen.

• Pa
    Pat Dec 01, 2008

Blockbuster has to "restock" any movie that comes in. My son was hospitalized and I couldn't get the movie back on time and I was nailed with the fee. Not everyone who returns a movie late and complains about the restocking fee is a deadbeat. The restocking fee is nothing more than corporate greed.

• Ct
    Ctin Oct 01, 2009

I believe Blockbuster is fraudulant. They charged us for a movie we did not keep as well as late charges we did not incur. I tried to contact district manager over several weeks and he never returned calls. I eventually called their corporate. They gave the movie charge a credit and still wants to charge for late movies. They will not disclose which movies are late stating we need to contact store rented from. Well since the store does not return calls I am still in the same situation. There is still the outstanding balance I am fighting. Everyone please beware if renting from Blockbuster. My suggestion is not to rent from blockbuster. However, if you decide to please have the manager sign a paper stating they received movie and no balance due or you can end up like us fighting these charges.

blakish Nov 12, 2009

Hey Blockbuster!! How about you lower those fees and have better trained employees! Did you see how much your company is losing to Net Flix and Red Boxes.. You must think that charging $4.99 will bring in people that's already strapped for cash to come rent from your stores!! Let alone put up with those un-trained associates that lack the common sense that God gave them.. I would rather deal with a box that don't snatch my money and give me funny stares and charge me stupid fees after I know that i returned the movie and also Who cares if the Blu-rays are new or old! It's a movie charge a reasonable price so people can rent them instead of letting them collect dust on those shelves that never gets cleaned until they have to move some movies over for all the other movies that your company didn't make money from because of your high fees!! LOWER YOUR FEES AND YOUR MIGHT REGAIN TRAFFIC BACK INTO YOUR STORES!! GET A CLUE ALREADY!! WE ARE IN A RECESSION!! PEOPLE ARE STAYING IN!! YOU COULD BE MAKING A KILLING RIGHT NOW!! THOSE ANYONE IN CORPORATE BLOCKBUSTER HEAR US CUSTOMERS OUT HERE????

multiple complaints

I figured I would write a more legitimate complaint than my last one about Blockbuster not having an adult video section in any of their stores.

First of all, Blockbuster doesn't carry ANYTHING on VHS anymore; everything is on DVD, so if you don't have a DVD player, you're screwed.

But now to my main point. I recently became interested in the Rocky series after seeing the movie Rocky Balboa at the theater. So I check with not one, but THREE different Blockbusters in the area, and they only carry the first Rocky film. What about II-V? It's not like those were low rated, forgotten films either. Blockbuster will carry foreign films, but not Rocky II-V? Doesn't make sense. Oh well, it doesn't matter anyways because many people, including myself, have decided to just check videos out at the library for FREE.

Blockbuster Employee Aug 16, 2007

And people don't return movies to the library as well.

Mike Lasley Oct 28, 2007

They say I dropped a empty box in the unite drop box and I looked in the box before depositing they are crooks, I think someone is stealing movies and sticking the customer with the bill, I am almost positive they have done this before, I see one complaint and would like to know if anyone else has experienced this. This has nothing to do with the above complaint. However I am going to stop all future payment to blockbuster from my credit card.

michele Dec 28, 2007

BB says that I have not returned 2 of 5 movies that I rented all at the same time and I know I did, and have NO WAY to prove it.
    It's your word against theirs. Now they want to charge me $30 for these movies. I suggest you do not use the out side drop off slot and walk the movies in and WATCH them check them in on your account.

• De
    Debra Blake Jun 04, 2008

These are nothing more than a bunch of crooks. I personally returned the games we rented on time and put them in the deposit box with my husband and son in the vehicle with me and they still say they do not have them. I believe that they need to check their employees purses and pockets before leaving their shifts as well as their friends. THis is not the first time this has happened and I will never rent another thing from these crooks and theives since I know I returned these I will file a thief report with the PD against their employees and will do whatever we have to do to protect the innocent and HONEST. CROOKS. This is the Blockbuster at Bissonnet and Higway 6 in Houston, TX, Avoid these crooks

woodbury Nov 04, 2008

i am glad my store is not like this.

unfair to the paying consumer and protect common thieves

I have been a customer of Blockbuster.Com for 2 years now.
I actually have the max account of 8 out at a time for $39.99 a month.

In December of 2005 someone jacked my card (the same I use at Blockbuster.com) and opened a new account at Blockbuster.com. So I was being charged $39.99 and 19.99 a month. They also opened an AOL account with the same card in Feb. Unfortunately I didn't notice these charges until late April. I called my bank and closed the card. I called AOL and even though they were a bit of a pain, they did refund me all the charges which was 3 months total. My bank says due to state laws, they can only refund me the first 90 days. Which means that they could give me back Dec, Jan and Feb charges from blockbuster. That meant that Blockbuster should be responsible for March and April which was a total of $38 bucks. So I called blockbuster.com and they said there is no refunds for fraud. WHAT? They open a second account with my credit card without my approval and start mailing movies to who knows where (and of course they won't tell me because they have to protect the rights of the people that stole my card) and they won't give me back the $38. AOL even sent me back my money. But Blockbuster.com won't do anything. They protect the criminal and penalize the honest person. I don't get it? So now I will be forced to close my account with them to prove a point. And the thing was, I was totally happy with them. Now I have to spread the word of how they are unfair to the paying consumer and protect common thieves.

Thanks blockbuster.

• Pa
    pam Jul 18, 2008

Blockbuster chargedme $109.00 and i have been on the phone for days trying to get them to take it off! I have no clue why they put the charge on my Visa and neither do they, but they won't take it off. I must have used the visa there to rent movies months ago, but have not used that visa for over four months, and always return my movies on time, and I haven't used my visa in months. I finally disputed the charge with my bank, because i have wasted hours on the phone with the manager while she trys to look up the reason, but can't find one, but still will not take off the charge. I would have to have a lot of overdue movies for that kind of money and have never biught any movies from them. They are a terrible, unorganized place and I will never rent with them again!

woodbury Nov 04, 2008

it is not blockbuster's fault for identity theft

• Ft
    Ftiger Aug 27, 2010

maybe next time keep your wallet close and if someone jacks your card report it right away.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices