Bishop PlumbingRipoff

B

Incredible rip off. They will refuse to quote a rough estimate, even for a standard job. A toilet install, faucet, etc, should be pretty much the same. I completely understand if they arrive and there are circumstances which may add to the price, but they can tell you that before they start the job. The price they quote you, once they arrive, is RIDICULOUS! Being at the high end of a range in a market is one thing, but this is in the extortionate range. If you refuse, they will tell you that you owe them $79.95 for coming out, despite not doing any work at all. Find a plumber who will be honest with you and provide a no-charge estimate. Even if they are higher priced, you'll save a lot of aggravation.

• Rs
    rsmith21 Apr 18, 2017

An overpriced and dishonest company that puts customers last. Service fees commonly include travel cost and a basic inspection/diagnosis of the problem to estimate the repair cost. Their $79.95 only includes travel and an inflated worst case quote for doing the work. Before beginning the work the plumber was informed the sewage ejector pump was not much over one year old and debris was likely clogging the float. Recognizing an opportunity to make a killing because the sewer pit had overflowed onto the floor, the plumber quoted $366 to spend about 45 minutes (confirmed by recorded cell phone conversations) to raise a plastic lid, remove debris preventing the float from rising and removing floating debris. The honest plumber I would have used if he wasn't booked solid informed me he charges $150 to clean a sewer pit. When searching for a plumber, I found coupons on the Bishop website and was informed to call about using the Home Inspection Special for $149 which included "Sump or ejector pump inspection" and 7 other inspections that I didn't need. When I called to use the coupon I was informed I needed to arrange the inspection in advance but the website or plumber didn't mention any qualification on when the coupon needed to be presented. The Bishop rep also said the plumber did a diagnostic, not an inspection. Websites such as Mr. Rooter Plumbing correctly equate inspecting and diagnosing problems. I accurately provided the diagnosis (clogged float) before the service was started. Inspection and cleaning was the only service provided at an equivalent hourly rate of $488. I selected this company based on using the coupon, which is clearly false advertising. The large volume of negative reviews suggest this company is a public nuisance.

• Re
    REZinAH Mar 27, 2012

Looks like I got off cheap...just $79.95 for them to write quotes and NOT DO A THING!! STAY AWAY FROM BISHOP PLUMBING...

Sadsap Mar 27, 2012

This company has a D with Angies List and C- with the BBB. Read the reports. THis company operates very suspiciosly with high pressure tactics and pricing...In June 2011 I called them to do a tub rod on my 2nd floor. THe initial cost was $594. WOW. Maybe thats the going rate. I signed to it. He tried for 45min. Tech stated he couldnt unrod it. He started snooping around and decided he had to see the pipes under the bathroom. For an addtional $415 he would open my ceiling to check pipes. Well..I am into it for $594...I have 45 year old house and thinking it must be a big issue. I agree. Then he claims piping is not code and appeared to be leaking and would remove and try to unclog from there etc. and it will require a 2 man crew...roughly $1150 more...I decided that he may as well replace all the old piping now that he opened the ceiling and he quaoted $2124 for that. I gave a dep they would be back in a few days. Well..in the mean time I spoke to my friend who uses a plumber for his buildings. He was SHOCKED and said I was being ripped off and had me call his plumber. THe other plumber came out and rodded the tub for $155!!! I was so ripped off. I demanded an explanation from the mgr. I wanted my deposit back and a refund. WHat I didnt realize is that when I authorized the newer work from Bishop, I initialed some waivers. Did you know if you sign a contract in your home you have a few days to cancel(read your Illinois rights) This is suppose to be verbally explained to you. The tech never explained a thing and I initialled my rights away...OMG!...how horrible these people are. I told them they better cancel the new work order. THey said they could since it hadnt started yet. See they claim that everything is one flat fee...but really, every litted dtail is a separate contract for work. So rodding attempt was one, openening my ceiling was another. But since the work for coming back was separate...I could cancel that. I was out $1019 for NOTHING FIXED by BIshop and a hole in my ceiling!!. I feel like the purposely claimed I had a bigger problem.PS my pipes were NOT LEAKING...we watched it for days and nothing leaked. Then the mger claimed that he would not refund me because his tech did do labor...so they count the labor, not the completion of the work. I told them they better refund me and sign something they wont enforce the new work order. The office woman (I think DIane) claimed I threatened her. I never got my $595 or $415 back, just the deposit for new work..Well after this HORRIBLE expierence and fear of them...I started reading BBB and paid to go on Angies LIst...and wow...all the complaints are Identical to mine...even to the point were angry customers are accused of threatening them when it is pointed out that Bishop ripped them off. I also filed a complaint with the bbb and the Illinois agency that overseas plumbers. That agency rep seemed sympathetic and even stated that Bishop was known for this and he had many complaints about them so he told me to send all my paperwork. I told this agency rep I signed my rights away but he said to send it in anyway. I followed up and called the Il agency rep about 5x. He never responed. I cannot believe this agency hasnt shut them down. Seems consumers have no recourse. I also paid another $250 to have my drywall repaired. HORRIBLE HORRIBLE HORRIBLE RIP OFF ARTISTS. Yelp and other reviews show them with 4 and 5 stars. Note there are lots of negative reports in there and then every other one or so there is a 5 star rating with a very generic they are great. Surely planted by the company to offset the real reviews...BEWARE...

• Re
    REZinAH Feb 27, 2012

I can't agree more. I called BISHOP PLUMBING out to check my hot water heater as the water wasn't hot...just lukewarm. All I got for $79.95 was a series of quotes: $343.50 to do a "minor diagnostic"...any parts needed would be an EXTRA charge; if it was the shower valve, it would cost $530.90; if the water heater needed to be replaced, the cost would be $1732.25; to remove the old and bring in a new water heater would cost $240.00; replacing the upper and lower elements would cost $945.50!!! All quotes had these mysterious code numbers and letters. Well, I had the salesman (he said he was a licensed plumber) leave as I told him his prices were way too high. I called another plumber, he was here within an hour, he did a COMPLETE diagnostic and determined that NOTHING WAS WRONG, it just needed to be set at a higher temperature. The TOTAL cost was $89.00 and he accepted a $25 coupon for a final cost of $64.00!!! This plumber told me to replace an element would run $125.00 and the second element would be less. Call someone else other than Bishop. I called HERITAGE PLUMBING CO in Hoffman Estates and HIGHLY recommend them.