Best Buybait & switch

here is email i just sent to best buy:<br />
<br />
i went to your store in enfield, CT today to look at 2 big screen tv's advertised on the front page of your weekly circular. after searching exhaustively, i could find neither on display. a store employee who was talking to another customer was there, and i waited until a lull in their conversation to excuse myself and ask if they were on display. he said he'd have to look it up, then ignored me. i left to search again, saying, "when you get a chance, please look it up". i waited another 10 minutes, again not finding the advertised items. there were other sales people in the store, but none in that department, and no one approached me to ask if i needed assistance, even though i think i made it obvious as i wandereed down the aisle, comparing the items to your circular. mind you it was dinner time, about 7PM, and there were few customers in the store.<br />
<br />
now i dont begrudge your employee from finishing his first sale (if indeed that was what he was doing, as they seemed to be having a lot more laughs than i usuaully have with salespeople). but the lack of assistance led me to just leave the store. back when circuit city was in business, whenever i went in there i was helped immediately. thats why i bought fridges, ovens, microwaves, stereos, airconditioners, and other things from them. in other words, you customer service sucks. well there is nothing i can do about that, except keep out of your stores in the future -- and ps -- when i boycott a brick and mortar establishment, their internet version gets the same treatment. <br />
<br />
further, i find it astonishing that you would go to the expense to advertise products on the front page of a national circular, and then not even have them avalable for inspection during the time they are on sale. except, of course, unless you are doing the old bait and switch: advertise a good deal just to get people in, then not have the item available. and that is something i can do something about, as i believe it is illegal under consumer protection laws of both CT and MA. I will contacting the consumer protection agencies of both states forthwith. -- joe

• Valerie Oct 30, 2006

About 18 months ago I bought a 50" Samsung DLP, HDTV at Best Buy - it was not cheap! Last month the "lamp" burnt out so I returned to the store.

BB - We don't sell the part.
    me - Where can I get one?
    BB - I don't know. Try the internet. Did you buy an extended warranty?
    me - No
    BB - Then we can't offer you any service (even if you pay for it).
    me - What if I had bought an extended warranty? What happens after the term is up?
    BB - I don't know.

Eventually I found a site for Samsung parts where I could buy the part. But it died 2 days after installation. I was able to find a service company by going to a competitor of Best Buy - not FutureShop. The competitor referred me to their service company. More recently, Best Buy tried to sell me a D-Link Media Center 320 to enable me to display photos on my TV. The trouble is, the unit they were trying to sell me doesn't work - at all - on HD TVs. Deal with these guys at your peril!

UPDATE: The lamp was replaced but died in 2 days. The lamp and the ballast were then replaced. (>$600 in parts and service.) The TV was again dead after about 2 weeks!

UPDATE 2: Because of this complaint, Best Buy sent me a form to fill out to get service. (Does the date of purchase really matter when you have no contract and expect to pay for service anyway?) The 3rd party service guy came and found that the lamp still worked. A plastic cover at the back is supposed to push a toggle back to indicate that the cover is on. I fixed that by padding it with about 10 layers of masking tape.

• Am
    Ammar G A Dec 10, 2006

I bought a TV from Best Buy, and I find out later it was the worst buy ever I done on my life (over charged by $800). "best buy" store is an overcharging store and I will never buy from them again.

• Kw
    K Wolf Aug 18, 2007

That sounds unusual that they wouldn't know where to find a bulb. Best Buy has a part order system by phone (employees can call) that has access to sell you almost any rear projection lamp you'd ever need (among other parts). If you talked to customer service about the issue then this was your mistake. If it was their home theater staff that didn't know then that's just unusual.

Being a Best Buy home theater associate for a location in the north west, all I can say is that's not how it usually is, at least at my location our department actually knows what we're all doing. Although to be fair to our company, you didn't buy a service plan on a tv with an obviously needed replacement part, what did you expect from them after 18 months. That's the whole reason why they're offered.

• Pa
    Park S Aug 28, 2007

Best Buy turned out to be the Worst Buy experience for me. September 2017, while I was looking around the computer products, a sale person of best buy approached me and told me about the 6 month interest free promotion. I thought it was an "insured deal" that I don't have to pay interest while I can try the computer and ensure it is what I was looking for. When I went to the counter for payment processing, I was told that I don't have to pay anything for 6 months and all I need to do is to sign for the best buy credit card. Before I signed the contract, to my pleasant surprise, I asked the best buy person who was processing the paperwork that "I really don't have to pay nothing for 6 months until end of Feb. 07?" He smiled and said: need to pay nothing for 6 months...

Close to a month after I purchased the computer I started to get bill from best buy and at the same time, I found my computer started to have problem with the system start up. I did not open the bill thinking it's far away from 6 months and I took the computer to the Salt Lake Store where I bought originally and the Geek Squad people could not fix it. I asked for a replacement. However, the store manager Matt Tanner (something like that) said he can not give another computer because they no longer carry the same model or refund me for the purchase but instead he offered me a lower grade model with an external hard drive and said that will do it (unbelievable!!!). In addition, when I brought up the bills, without confirm with the personal that sold me the computer and informed me the 6 month interest free promotion, the manager told me that his employee would never say such thing (pay nothing for 6 months). Of course, at that point, I decided to take the "Lemon" home and call their corporate office to make a formal complaining.

To make things worse, when I called the Corporate office, the consumer relation people did not offer any solution to my problems of the "lemon" which I demanded refund (or a replacement for the same model) nor for the 6 months promotional issue that I had, instead they asked me to try another their best buy location. After few months disputing the charges and unsolved issue, knowing that corporate office is not helpful in solving my problems, I have decided no to deal with best buy any longer, I went another location of best buy stores and exchanged another computer of their display model. And made the total $1974.73 in full according to the bill...

The disastrous experience is finally over, you may think, right? Wrong! Wrong! Wrong. Best Buy is continuing send me bills month after month for what I don't know what since I already paid in full in Jan. 2017 (the promotional event ends Feb. 28, 2017). I am so sick of it and decide to ignore anything label Best Buy. For those who are in the same situation. Also tell your friends, family and your neighbors about your Worst Buy experience with Best Buy and just ignore Best Buy if you did not get what you paid for and wait until the statute expires. Don't give them your phone numbers or change your current phone number if you have to. I can not wait to see Best Buy disappear from the retail industry as they are offer nothing but the worst service and products to honest customers.

• Valerie Sep 13, 2007

Beware of the catches in the 3 year no interest offer from best buy. Read the fine print to be educated before you sign on the bottom line. This reflects a poor customer relations effort to promote sales and the terms of the offer are designed to get you stuck with paying the exorbitantly high interest rate (Up to 30%) if you make one mistake during the loan period.

Here are the catches to keep in mind:

"interest will be charged to your account * from the date of purchase * if plan balance is not paid in full within 3 years or * if minimum monthly payments are not made *." this means, miss a minimum payment and owe them the full interest or if there is even $1 balance after 3 years you owe them full interest from the date of purchase.

Best buy interest rate info :

Program a:

Variable standard apr = prime rate + 14.4 percentage pts. (22.65% as of 09/01/2017). Variable default apr = prime rate + 18.4 percentage pts. (* 26.65% as of 09/01/2017). Standard min. Apr 19.8%. Default min. Apr * 23.8%.

Program b:

Variable standard apr = prime rate + 17.4 percentage pts. (* 25.65% as of 09/01/2017). Variable default apr = prime rate + 21.4 percentage pts. (* 29.65% as of 09/01/2017). Standard min. Apr * 23.15%. Default min. Apr * 27.15%.

Anybody in their sane mind should stay away from this "promotional" offer designed to take advantage of the consumer even for a minor default. They will be finding ways to trap you.

• Me
    Melissa Vega Dec 22, 2007

I ordered a navigation system & 2 cds for my husband for christmas. I was sent an email the following day stating that the gps system was backordered. They did not display that information on their website. the website said that it was available online. now they want me to wait 4-8 business days to get my money back for canceling my order. Why should i wait that long when it didn't take them that long to take the money off of my debit card. and i need the money to buy a replacement gift. I call them and they have you on hold for over an hour. Then they refused to let me speak to a supervisor about getting my money back right away. I was supposed to receive the cds that i ordered on saturday 12/22/07 and i paid the extra shipping charges and ups has my scheduled delivery date for after christmas. I am going through hell to try to get different gifts for my husband because best buy false advertised and messed up my delivery dates.

john q Dec 23, 2007

I dont think they are going anywhere considering they are the number 1 electronic retailer in the WORLD. so you can go to circuit city and have your ### break and see what they do, you will probably buy it from them and next week they are bankrupt... or better yet... go to walmart...

• Valerie Jan 09, 2008

On December 29th, while talking with a Woodlands Best Buy customer services manager, an angry customer just so happened to return a broken Digital Photo Frame that I had returned the day before after using it for 1 month and determining that it was defective. (It could only hold 80 of the advertised 256 Mb of memory). I pointed this out to the manager but he simply responded that I had no proof it was the same unit that I had purchased. I stated emphatically that it was, as this unit was missing both the stand and controller and I still had both those objects at my house as I had forgotten to return them. Several other customers overheard my comment.

The embarrassed store manager then angrily responded with an abhorrent display of poor customer support and stated that he would have me removed if I raised my voice again. In total disbelief at this incredulous lack of customer focus, I did raise my voice and told him that stocking the shelves with used defective products and selling them as new was in fact illegal and in violation of the Texas Deceptive Trades Practice. At this he threw me out of the store. At that point I did raise my voice and we exchanged some choice words.

• Ga
    Gary Jannsen Feb 06, 2008

This is not just a Best Buy finance isuue. This is done with all retailers who offer a financing promotion. Make the minimum payment on time, keep track of your promo dates, call them when your promo date is due to expire to find out your exact payoff, and pay it. It's not that difficult. Nobody is going to give you free money for 18-24 months withou an ontime payment schedule. Try missing a payment with a bookie. I'd rather pay interest than face "Vito".

• Da
    David Brandt Feb 13, 2008

I do not work for BB, but i still can't blame them for what they did. Just because your crappy DLP broke, you think it was thier fault. Did Best Buy come into your house and break it for you, i don't think so. It is not thier fault, it is not your fault. If you feel the need to go after someone, take your complaint to Samsung, they are the one's who made your lousy tv.

• Sh
    SHAUN FAIR Feb 24, 2008

BEST BUY IS NOTORIOUS FOR POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE. MORE THAN THAT THEY HAVE A HUGE INTERNAL THEFT PROBLEM AND THEY ARE AWARE OF IT. THE LOSER IN THS PROBLEM NOT BEST BUY, IT'S YOU AND I THE CONSUMER.
    HERES WHATS HAPPENING SOMEWHWERE INSIDE BEST BUY EMPLOYEES ARE OPENING PRODUCTS TAKING THE ITEM OUT OF THE BOX AND REPLACING IT WITH ANYTHING FROM OLD TVS TO MUCH LOWER VALUED CAMCORDERS TO, (GET THIS) THREE BAGS OF BEANS. YES YOU HEARD ME "BEANS.'" IF YOU WOULD LIKE TO CONFIRM THIS, READ ABOUT IT IN MONEY MAGAZINE FEB 2017 ISSUE. I MYSELF GOT SCAMMED BY THEM 7 YEARS AGO. I PURCHASED A THEN $900.00 SONY CAMCORDER ONLY TO GET HOME AND OPEN IT A DAY LATER AND FIND A MUCH LOWER VALUE MODEL IN THE BOX. I BROUGHT IT BACK AND TO MAKE A LONG STORY SHORT GOT "HOSED." I TRIED EVERYTHING BELIEVE ME, EVEN A LOCAL NEWSPAPER DID A SMALL STORY ON IT. THEY DONT CARE THEY FIGURE THERE NOT GOING TO GET RIPPED OFF TWICE, PROBLEM IS ITS THERE EMPLOYEES WHO ARE CAUSING THIS AND US THE CONSUMER BLEEDS. NEEDLESS TO SAY I HAVE NEVER BEEN BACK. THEIR LOSS AS I HAVE SINCE OPENED TWO RESTAURANTS BOUGHT TWO HOMES AND PURCHASED ABOUT A $ 100,000 DOLLARS WORTH OF MERCHANDISE ELSWHERE.

BOTTOM LINE DONT BUY ANYTHING THERE. IF YOU FEEL YOU HAVE TOO, HAVE THEM OPEN THE BOX AND PLUG IT IN BEFORE YOU LEAVE, AND MAKE SURE YOUR NOT GETTING THREE BAGS OF BEANS

• Ro
    rose Mar 31, 2008

I puchased a Panasonic 50" HDTV 1080 p on the thanksgiving ad and I puchased several other items from that store. I was trying to get my TV to show a clear picture I went back to the store to talk to the sales person that told me I would not need an external device that there was an internal antannea. In the process I found out they did not give the TV I paid for. I paid for the 1080p which has better clarity and picure and they gave me a 720p. When I found out I wanted them to give me the correct TV and they refused to. Both TV's look exactly alike but they have different internal functions. On the receipt you can't tell by the codes if you are getting the TV you paid for or not unless you know the companies internal codes. The manager and I went round and round about this and I am in the process of filling a complaint with the BBB and attorney generals office. Consumers please be aware you may not be getting what you paid for

• Th
    The Customer Apr 06, 2008

I had read that purchasing the Best Buy extended warranty was not really necessary. If the product you had purchased was going to fail it would most likely do so within the first year when the manufactures warranty was still in effect.

Wrong, the Gateway laptop computer I purchased did fail within 8 months of purchase. However Best Buy continues to have you return the product to their service department where no service is performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they tell you to get lost. You did not buy an extended warranty and there is nothing else we are going to do.

What a terrible organization, Best Buy.

• Th
    The Customer Apr 08, 2008

Kathleen Weimar
    Office of the Attorney General
    100 W Randolph St
    Chicago, IL 60601

Ms. Weimar,

These ongoing negotiations with Gateway are redundant and are bordering on ridiculous. How many times do I have to address the same issues that have been presented in my previous correspondence?

1.) The phone support personnel at Gateway had determined that the failure of the motherboard was the reason the PCMCIA card slot will not to power up and that the computer would have to be returned to Gateway to have the motherboard replaced. However each time the computer is returned to Gateway, the motherboard is not replaced, which would solve the problem. The computer is ultimately returned to me as No Trouble Found/No Failure Claim Description Provided.

2.) The Sprint equipment and software did in fact work in the Gateway computer for approximately eight months, so we do know that the equipment and software are compatible with the Gateway computer.

3.) The Sprint equipment and software are currently working optimally in a Toshiba Satellite laptop computer. This would in fact prove that there is nothing wrong with the Sprint Mobile Broadband Service or the equipment provided by Sprint. The attempt by Dixie Radakovich to shift the cause of the failure to Sprint is an obvious red herring, when in fact the failure of the Gateway computer is the issue being discussed here.

4.) The computer as purchased from Gateway is in fact sold as ready to upgrade to Windows Vista and includes a certificate for a free operating system upgrade from Microsoft. Dixie Radakovich is obviously unaware of how these systems are shipped and sold as she contends that installing this software, Windows Vista, “could significantly cause problems”.

5.) I have used the Windows XP Media Center Version 2017 With Update Rollup 2 CD supplied by Gateway with the purchase of the computer and restored the system to the original factory settings. However the PCMCIA card slot will not supply power to a PCMCIA card when inserted in the computer.

I have done some research on the internet with my Toshiba laptop computer and the Sprint Mobile Service, the same service that will not work on a Gateway computer. I have found a pattern in the way Gateway handles any reported problems with the low quality products that they produce. The customer is required to send the failing product to the Gateway service department numerous times, with no service being performed. After they are certain that the warranty no longer applies, they are in a position to refuse to repair the equipment.

I am asking you to intervene and force an obviously poorly managed organization, bordering on criminal, to replace the product I have been sold with a new, not refurbished computer, which Gateway seems to prefer as method of resolving frustrated consumers complaints.

• Valerie Apr 14, 2008

I purchased a new computer case online from Bestbuy.com and paid for shipping to me home. After assembling the other computer parts in side the case I found the case power supply to be bad & took it back to a local store with the receipt. They would only refund the amount of the case, not the shipping cost. They said this is the policy so I got ripped off for $10.00. After many calls & emails to Best Buy they would not authorize the shipping refund. Just one incident as this will cause a customer to shop elsewhere & I have spent plenty there in the past.

william gollan Apr 23, 2008

I am a Canadian that purchased an electronis picture frame at best buy in florida which is defectived. I was told to return it and documents to amckay solectron in metcalf ontario. It was received by them on 4th april(postal trace) I called and they refered me to a Brenda at westinghouse in calafornia tel no [protected] i have called three times -no reply. the frame cost me one hundred thirty nine dollars so i want it replaced. My telephone [protected] could you tell me what i should do next? William Gollan

• Valerie Apr 24, 2008

I was coming home from work on April 23, 2017 around 6:30pm. I needed canned air and thermal paste to fix my computer that was damaged from UPS, so I decided to stop at the Best Buy at Metro Town B.C. Canada on Kingsley street. Unfortunately The Best Buy did not carry the thermal past I needed and I proceeded to leave the store.

When I approached the door a tall man with glasses left his booth on the right side of the door and got real close to me almost touching me, had a smirk on his face and told me to have a nice day. When I proceeded out the door someone purposely set the anti-theft sensors off at the doors.

I was confused at first and the guy told me to come back so I did. In front of other customers humiliating me he demanded to empty my pockets with that smirk on his face, so I empty my pockets to show him even know that I was very up set that he would accuse me of stealing I even asked him if he wanted me to *** my shoes and if it was normal S.O.P. to profile and single out people and stop them at the door to be searched.

He got quiet and let me go. See the thing is that I once worked for Best Buy in Florida for 4 years and not once I have never seen such disrespect for a customer before in my life and I blame that on poor management and employee training I really hope someone in customer relations reads this and fixes that problem.

For now on I think I will never step foot in a Canadian Best Buy store ever again.

• Valerie Apr 24, 2008

After 3 months of research we found the stainless steel fridge we liked. Purchased it at full price for Best Buy. A day before the scheduled delivery they called and said they didn't have the fridge anymore except for the floor model. I didn't want the floor model. I called other stores and found it new in another city. They said they would ship that one to me, NIB. After 2 weeks they delivered the fridge. The delivery guy scratched the door while putting in the handle. He reported it and did I. The manager called me to tell me that the fridge had been discontinued. Offered to give me another fridge for the same price ($2600). We picked another fridge similar to the original. The same delivery guy came to do the switch and scratched the 2nd fridge. Scratched the 1st fridge even more while taking it out. I called to complaint while he was still there. I told them I didn't want the fridge since, this one too, was scratched. I want a scratch free fridge.

The manager called me back to tell me that since I had already received two fridges that I was no happy with they couldn't let me get a 3rd one!

They wouldn't let me get a 3rd fridge because they now had two scratched fridges! Mind you, the same delivery guy scratched both!

I got my money back (after a big hassle, too). Went to Lowe's and got the original fridge I wanted, which Best Buy said was discontinued. Lowe's delivered the fridge scratch free and with no hassle.

I will NEVER, EVER buy anything from Best Buy!

• Valerie May 12, 2008

I was in the market for the new computer was willing to spend $800 to $1600 for a decent computer. I found what appeared to be a great deal.

I bought a computer for $900 and if the specifications were accurate then this computer was a great deal.

I took it home and it stunk. Ran horribly and could handle programs that my 4 year old desktop can run smoothly.

I took it back and the supervisor talked me into buying a model that cost about $300 more. I was assured that if this didn't work I could bring it back and get a FULL REFUND.

Of course when I tried the computer out is was almost as bad as the first on purchased.

I brought it back and they said I could either spend another $600 on a model that would "surely" work. OR I could get a refund but I would be charged %15 fee.

I told them I was guaranteed a return with no fee if I was unhappy with this new computer. I must admit that the girl at the service desk was actually polite and respectful but she said firmly that she can not over ride the policy.

At this point I asked to speak with a manager. I waited for almost 40 minutes before he came over and before I could explain myself he just chuckled and said boorishly "sorry dude you should have read the fine print" and then turned away and chuckled again. I calmly explained to him I would not have sunk more money into another computer if I was going to be charged a fee.

He wouldn't listen and now I am down almost 200 bucks.

• Valerie May 19, 2008

I purchased a dual - dual 7" 16:9 widescreen lcd portable dvd player - silver model: xdvd271 this morning at the tustin, ca store and it was really bought for the kids to keep them entertained on the road trip.

Excited as I was with this purchase, I started with the setup and installation around noon. Immediately, I identified several problem with the unit, such as the secondary lcd monitor has jitter sound when tuned up high, the dc power plug does not stay in (Which I tried several different ones and on different cars) , and that the power button was not responsive.

I went online and did some reach on this brand and found many people had issue with their quality control. After I picked up the kids from school around 5:00pm, I went back to the tustin, ca store to exchange for another brand due to this defective unit. I was instantly told that I will be charged a "restocking fee" of 30%. I was shocked and dismayed by what I was told. I told the representative that I just bought it this morning and it was defective. I told him that i'm exchanging it not returning it and the main reason is that it is a defective unit. Then I said what if I exchange it with the same brand, and I was told that I will be charge 10% restocking fee. This time, I almost felt to the ground. How can you charge someone fee for selling a "defective equipment?" I restated that it was defective and the representative told me that he will have the tech. Verify it. After 5 minutes he came back and told me that no issue was found. Now, most of the testing was not done in front of me and it was done behind the counter. I was truly not happy by what I was told and told them that I parked right outside of the store door and I can show them the problem. He refused and repeated his statement. I then asked for the manager and he told me the same thing and again refused for me to show them the problem. After half an hour, the manager finally agreed for me to change the same brand without the 10% restocking fee. After walking back to pick-up the new unit (Which I really didn't want to get another one with such a bad known quality) I ran into the department rep. And told him about the issue. He told me that he will talk to the customer services representative about getting a different unit and waive the restocking fee. After the customer services representative agreed, he then started the paper work process.

He and another manager told me that they couldn't do that and the only thing they can do is an equal exchange. I told them that how can it be equal when the newly exchanged unit is $20 cheaper than the original one I bought with higher tax I paid. I gave up and did not want to argue on this issue anymore and swear to myself that I will never put myself in this kind of situation again by buying at "worst buy. "

How can they put up this policy and attitude with this tight economic situation and the millions of online based retailers, who would want to deal with this kind of policy and behavior? As a consumer, the only reason i'm willing to "walk" into a store and paying high price is because I can get it immediately and knowing that I can take care of an issue when I encounter it. If I lose that too, why would anyone want to walk into a store and deal with this kind of unreasonable policy and behavior?

• Valerie Jun 03, 2008

On dec 13 2017 i purchased a sony via from the best buy location on landing, during this time my computer was a specialty item that was only available for a short amount of time. 2 months later my laptop started getting alot slower getting to the point that it would freeze at times. I purchased a warranty from best buy when it was purchased and as well i was tool that i had the best insurance available as i do on my other best buy electronic accounts. However after going back and forth from sony and best buy for no less than a total of 3 to 4 months best buy finally told me that since they lost the paperwork in the computer stating previous contacts i had with them and as well informed me of the fact that my insurance was insufficient and would not cover the damages made to my laptop (this should not have happened, i was actually sold the same warranty that came with the cpu for FREE) i was undersold by the salesman and lied to about my purchase. Throughout the ordeal i was told up until recently that any damages would be covered under the warranty that i have purchased. Since this time managers have bounced me around for an un acceptable amount of time and at this point i am asking only to have my cpu repaired. Please respond soon.

• Hi
    HipHopapottimus Jun 07, 2008

David Brandt is absolutly correct. I will bet you $100 that the associate even reccomended the warranty on the DLP and said it would cover it if the bulb burned out, and you being the know it all said, "I don't need the warranty, I never buy them." Go whine to Samsung, not the company that sold it.

• Valerie Jun 20, 2008

Bought a Compaq from the Commack NY store. It didn't work when I got it home. Brought it in for a replacement, was told no they had to 'repair' it. Well, 3 trips of going back and forth and no satisfaction until the 4th time and then it wound up costing me, and I had a warranty, $210.00 for repairs and the technician's 'time' for fixing it. They never honoured anything in the warranty and the Compaq still ***. Went and bought a better model elsewhere’s...Their customer service is the worst! Consumers beware. Do your homework.

• Valerie Jul 08, 2008

Went into Best Buy today to buy a Wii Fit. Sales guy went and found one for me in the back. It was the last one in the store. He walked me to the register where we were met by some managerial type idiot who decided that my Wii Fit belonged to the lady standing in the checkout area who had allegedly "called to put it on hold" despite the fact that it had no note on it, was not set aside, and was found for me by the other sales guy. I asked what he thought he was doing (his name was Eaten), and he told me that she called. I said I called. He literally took it out of my hands. So surreal. Then he told me to leave because I was upset. I will never shop at Best Buy ever again. There is always another outlet. I already got a Wii Fit somewhere else.

• M
    M Jul 13, 2008

An Item has 30 return exchange policy unless a cpu or notebook.
    if the item was diffective and was returned within that time frame it would be able to be returned. If it was the same day their responbility was to exchange or refund the item at whatever it was purchased at and on the exchange pay the going sale price. there is a 30 day price match or 15 on some items.
    I am sure they did not follow policy.

• Valerie Jul 14, 2008

In May I renewed the extended service agreement on a television purchased at Best Buy. On June 16th, I took the television in for repair. The Geek Squad couldn't find me in the system. I showed a copy of the agreement, but was told it hadn't been entered into the computer system. I was given a number to call about the agreement. I talked with a service rep who said he would send it to the accounting department and it would be updated in 7-10 days. (Repair could not begin on the television until it was "in the system."

As of today, it's still not entered into the system. When I called today and asked for a supervisor, I was told they would escalate it and it would be entered in the system in 7-10 days.

Work on the TV can't even start until the agreement is entered into the computer system.

• Valerie Jul 14, 2008

Bought a pc from best buy, when the pc failed to work I brought the defective pc to best buy (Which was still under warranty) the geek squad (What a joke) kept it for a week, running tests, problem (According to their geek squad) was not hard drive, sent pc to best buy repair facility to be repaired (Don't do repairs in house) , best buy store put on my paperwork no need to backup as it wasn't a hard drive issue. When the best buy repair facility received it they said it was the hard drive and replace with new one, without calling me before it was done. When I tried to retrieve my information, was told it would cost me $350 to $1500. I lost my mothers pictures from her funeral (Irreplaceable) because I did not have the money to get my data back. If I had known that I needed a backup I would have done it, but the bb store told me no need.

I will never buy another pc from best buy!

• Valerie Jul 17, 2008

My husband and I bought a fridge from best buy. The Price was great for a Maytag bottom freezer fridge. We are very happy with the product but not with best buy's delivery svc. They bought the fridge on the day we wanted it to be delivered and then informed us that they could not bring it inside the house due to a staircase in the entry way. The salesperson did not ask us anything about the layout of our home. We had no fridge the old one went out. We had to wait 4 more days for redelivery.

• Valerie Aug 07, 2008

Anyone considering purchasing Best Buy's "extended repair" plans on an appliance - BEWARE! You will likely be without the use of your appliance 2-3 weeks. this has been my experience twice. It takes usually a week to have a "repair specialist" come and look at the item needing repair. From that, parts are ordered. They will not even schedule the follow up repair UNTIL the parts are in. When the parts are in, they will schedule the repair. They will claim about 2 days from the date the parts are in. I have been without a working washing machine (talk about inconvenience!) since 12/18/07. It is now 1/2/08 and I am told that they expect the parts to be in 1/5/08, but will not schedule repair until all parts are in. On 1/8/08, it will be 3 weeks with no washer. Try that for convenience not to mention the money you spend going to the laundromat doing your laundry! For the $150 we spent on the extended warranty, we would be better off calling our local appliance repair and I can bet (based on previous experience) we would have had it fixed within a few days. Save yourself the time and hassle - just pay for a repair when it happens!!! Also - expect to wait on the phone for an extended period of time before getting to speak to someone. First time I called was in excess of 15 minutes - and that was in late evening. I am very dissatisfied with the experiences I have had when I have had to be without my washer or dryer. Also - that says a lot about Whirlpool's quality - repairs on appliances (both washer and dryer) and they are less than 5 years old.

• Valerie Aug 14, 2008

I had originally sent this to customer service at Best Buy.com, however I received an email back, stating their generic return policy, with absolutley no resolution, except for, We are sorry. After being completely unsatisfied with this response, I decided to forward my original letter, as well as make it known, that if this issue is NOT resolved than I will no longer be doing business with best buy, and I will be sure to let my large family, and all friends know about this. Furthermore, I was not asking for money back, I was simply asking for a STORE CREDIT in order to get a camera that is satisfactory to my expectations. After reading a number of reviews regarding this camera, there have been many people who were unhappy with this camera. If best buy is going to sell the camera to consumers, then they need to take responsibilty to those that are unhappy with the rather pricey purchase.

Dear Whomever,

On October 9, 2017, my husband and I had

purchased a Sony Cybershot DSC-H3 from the Manchester New Hampshire Best Buy.

We were very excited about this camera, as I love to take pictures of my

children, and consider myself and ammature photographer.After the first couple

of initial uses of the camera, I was very disappointed with the picture quality,

as all of my pictures had a yellowish tinge to them. Also, they hardly ever

focused. I figured I must be doing something wrong, and began to read the

manual, look up tutorials online, and do everything I could to make this camera

work the way that so many people have said it does. The pictures would look

good on the LCD screen, but would look terrible on my computer (which was not a

problem with my computer as my Kodak camera's pictures always look crisp and

clear.).Anyways, after finally giving up on the camera, we decided that we have

a defective unit, and went to best buy today to return it. We had planned on just exchanging it. After all of the problems I have had with it, and

all of the timeless shots that were ruined, I wanted nothing to do with this

camera, or a Sony at this point. We had planned on just upgrading to the Nikkon

D40. When I itinially brought it to the service desk, the service rep told me

that she had to go test it out back, as it was past their return date, and she

couldn't take it back if it was not defective. After a minute or two she came

back, told me her technician took a picture and it was fine. We then asked to

speak to a manager, and he explained that he would not take it back either,

because it was "policy". Again, I explained the problems to him, told them that

if they were just going to go out back and take a single picture of an inanimate

object, then it probably looked Fine on the LCD screen, as most of the pictures

did. Regardless, they refused to take it back.We ended up sending it out for

repair, via the "geek squad". I was told however, that this was going to be a hard problem for them to fix, and we would have to wait and see it they

could repair it. So now, I am left with no camera for 2 to 4 weeks, and am

going to miss countless moments that I would have loved to photograph.Needless

to say, I am incredibly disappointed with what happend today. First of all, I

NEVER return things to best buy. I can understand not taking something back if

we returned things multiple times, however this is not the case. It was not

returning it just because I wanted something else, it is DEFECTIVE. We were

told that, had we bought the extended service plan they would have accepted the

return. Is that to say that unless your customers spend extra money on a

camera, they are not going to get good customer service on a defective piece of

equipment? Further more, they told me that they only allow 12 days for a

return. 12 days hardly gives someone enough time to try out a camera and get

around the quirks.I am highly disappointed with the service that I received

today, and do believe that other stores would not have given us such a hard time, and would have

taken the camera back, and allowed us to purchase something else. I have been

nothing but frustrated with this camera, and am now incredibly frustrated with

Best Buy. I have NEVER had problems with your store before, and we have made

multiple high end purchases at the store, and were intending on making more

purchases within the next couple of months. However, I now question whether or

not we will, due to how poorly we were treated today.Anyways... to be completley

honest, I am not one to complain. I am just finding myself so frustrated and

upset with my experience, that I felt compelled to write and let you know my

dissatisfaction.

• Valerie Aug 19, 2008

I ordered a digital camera from BestBuy.com for around $240. After 1 week, I checked UPS tracking system and UPS said it was delivered, and it wasn't. Someone was home all day that day. I called UPS twice and they said they could not do anything because they were only liable to Best Buy, so I had to talk to Best Buy to get my money back, and then Best Buy would get their money back from UPS. I called the Best Buy customer service line at 888-BEST-BUY. I waited for 30 minutes and no one answered the phone. UPS called and no one answered. I emailed them through the Contact Us link, and no one emailed me back. So, with no other choice, I went to a Best Buy store in Fairfax County, VA. A "Customer Experience Manager" (cute title, as if they really care) called the number and finally got through to someone. They "logged" the issue, gave me a case #, and said they would call me back in 2 days. I said that all I wanted was a refund on my card. They refused and insisted someone had to call me back in 2 days, because that was their "process" and they could not bend the rules. The manager at the store said that if they don't call me back, come back in and he would take care of it. Of course, no one called me back, so in 4 days I went back to the store. They called and had me wait on the phone for over 30 minutes. They said they couldn't do anything, and now I had to wait another 5 - 10 days. So the people at the store and the people on the phone refused to do anything to help me. I managed retail businesses for 12 years and I tried to explained to the managers that all of this was going to cost more than $240 when it was over because I am going to tell everyone I knew. They should have just refunded my money. I was there 2 hours, and meanwhile, they were giving refunds to everyone that said anything like, "I just don't like this ...". And here I am totally ripped off, and they refused to help me. Finally, after 2 hours, they went and got the head manager of the store, and he said he would not do anything, and he made me leave the store. I will never buy anything from Best Buy ever again. This was the second time I lost money with them. They rip people off and get away with it either intentionally, or they are just incredibly incompetent when it comes to customer service. No one at the store or on the phone was empowered to just fix the problem.

Will Aug 19, 2008

I bought a washer and dryer on an 18-months same as cash deal, AND I PAID IT OFF EXACTLY WITHIN 18 MONTHS! But, I got a bill for $12.00 saying my payment arrived late. I called one of your customer "service" people who told me it was my fault the payment arrived late and that I had to pay the late fee EVEN THOUGH MY BALANCE WAS PAID IN FULL. I asked her to close the account, which she did. However, in June I GOT ANOTHER BILL! This time, $2 more was added to the late fee. I called again and a customer "service" supervisor said she was unable to waive the late fee. And in August I GOT ANOTHER BILL WITH $2 MORE ADDED ON! The account was PAID IN FULL within 18 months and I am being charged $12 plus $4 in fees because your customer "service" people won't waive a lousy $12 fee?! What happened to SAME AS CASH? Is it worth $12 or $16 to save a customer relationship? Apparently to Best Buy, my business isn't worth $12 or $16. It's worth $0 because that's how much Best Buy will get from me in the future and from everyone who hears the story of how poorly I was treated.

Will Aug 19, 2008

I bought a washer and dryer on an 18-months same as cash deal, and I paid it off exactly within 18 months! But, I got a bill for $12.00 saying my payment arrived late. I called one of your customer "service" people who told me it was my fault the payment arrived late and that I had to pay the late fee even though my balance was paid in full. I asked her to close the account, which she did. However, in june I got another bill! This time, $2 more was added to the late fee. I called again and a customer "service" supervisor said she was unable to waive the late fee. And in august I got another bill with $2 more added on! The account was paid in full within 18 months and I am being charged $12 plus $4 in fees because your customer "service" people won't waive a lousy $12 fee?! What happened to same as cash? Is it worth $12 or $16 to save a customer relationship? Apparently to best buy, my business isn't worth $12 or $16. It's worth $0 because that's how much best buy will get from me in the future and from everyone who hears the story of how poorly I was treated.

• Valerie Aug 29, 2008

Best Buy TV with extended warranty...30 days and 15 calls later it will be another 10 before part is available. Today, consumer service is "closed". It is Thursday, 10:30 a.m.???? AZ Time. Here's the shortened description of events...TV has a solid white line across the bottom of screen about the size of a thick pencil line...call 888BestBuy. Spent long time on hold while person is doing something, result... "I bought the wrong warranty". Sends repair request, service company schedules appt, cancels because order is COD and not "warranty". Call 888, told can only be solved if I go to store. Go to store, many managers discuss "wrong warranty" and "solve mystery". Service company calls but "can't take TV off wall". Call 888...disbelief on their end. Many minutes on hold while they solve...nope, its true repair company will not take TV off wall. Repair company...has 1 tech. Has another guy that will remove TV from wall but then it will have to be taken to shop and it would be 6-8 weeks for repair. Otherwise they can fix it in the house. Geek squad sent to take TV off wall but they show up unannounced. TV has to be leaned against a wall and is inoperable. Call 888. Repair appt not set. That takes a 1 week. On day of appt, appt is cancelled because order is sent...COD. Call 888. Order resent but no appt for 1 week. Tech comes and says "ALL REPAIRS LIKE THIS NEED SOFTWARE THEY HAVE TO ORDER". Not some white pencil lines but all require certain software. 10 days. Call 888. Ask for consumer relations...transferred and disconnected. Call 888...transferred and disconnected. Call 888...consumer relations closed, please call back. Time 10:00 a.m., Thursday, August 28. Gheesh! TV against wall, inoperable. Time lapsed: 30 days. Time estimate for completion...40 days.

• Ye
    Yevette Sep 20, 2008

On 9/2/08, one year and two months after purchase from Best Buy, our 47" LCD Westinghouse just shut down. I called Westinghouse for troubleshooting assistance. The service representative was friendly and helpful but was unable to help me and informed me we would need a technician to fix it. The t.v. was out of warranty but we had also purchased a four year warranty so I called 1-888-Best-Buy, the number on our warranty papers, for a service call. Best Buy informed me a tech would come out on 9/16/08. My husband called Best Buy after hearing it would be two weeks before they could come and managed to get them to schedule it for 9/9/08.

A tech arrived on 9/9/08 took the t.v. apart and after inspection informed me he needed to order A power supply.

We received an automated message from Best Buy on our answering machine 9/12/08 that the part was in and they would be calling us to schedule an appointment. My husband called Best Buy 9/15/08 to inform them that we received that message but noone has yet to call us. Best Buy informed him that the tech had ordered three parts and only one part had come in and the other two were on back-order. He expressed to Best Buy his frustration and that he felt we were getting the "run-around" only to hear "we're sorry but that's all we can do.

9/19/08 we received another automated message from Best Buy that informed us our parts were on "back-order". I called 1-888-Best-Buy to find out what parts were on "back-order". The customer service rep i spoke with tried to be understanding and helpful but when asked about what parts were on back order she said she didn't know and that she just had part numbers. I told her that part numbers would be great but she then had to get approval from her supervisor before giving me those numbers.

I was able to get the part numbers so I called Westinghouse to investigate the "back-ordered" parts. The customer service representative was able to check on those parts and informed me both parts were in-stock and ship within 4-6 days. She also gave me the number to the actual distributor to verify this information. In order to cover my butt before calling Best Buy I called the distributor who also informed me that those parts were in-stock and ship within 4-6 days.

Now with my investigation over I called Best Buy to inform them of my results. The "Customer Care" representative did not care that parts were available and continued to repeat over and over and over that his system shows they are on "back-order". I tried to explain that parts are available but he continued to repeat himself and then added that the expected arrival is October 21st!!! At this point I asked to speak with a supervisor. I was transferred to Ricky #205361. Ricky #205361 was rude and just didn't care at all. He was no more helpful than the first rep i spoke with. At one point he told me to order the parts and pay for them and that they would reimburse me. I asked Ricky #205361 to speak with his supervisor, he informed me that I could not speak to anyone higher then him. I said "Okay so your "The Man"? So why am I able to get parts but you, "The Man", can't? He informed me that Best Buy may get parts from somewhere else. I asked him for the phone number Best Buy calls for parts. He said he didn't have that number so I asked him "How do you get parts then?" He informed me he called Best Buy parts so I asked for that number but once again he did not have it. We went around in circles like this for over 15 minutes to no avail.

So it's now been 18 days and our $2, 000 47" LCD t.v. sits on the floor with a blanket draped over it. I plan to tell this story over and over to anyone willing to listen. Now I've got to get ready because my husband and I are on our way to Best Buy, not to shop, no never ever again, but to be able to complain to someone who doesn't have the protection of sitting behind a cubicle and not having to face disgruntled customers.

I think Best Buy should change the department name from "customer care" to "customer DON'T care"

• In
    Integrity Oct 04, 2008

Best Buy messed with me on am E-Machine Computer. Sold it to me, even bought extended warratny for 3 years. After 2 months, the computer shut down. I was informed by the tech they were aware of a virus in the AOL cd to install. But still refused to honor the warranty.
    I took my computer and work on the boxes that Best Buy does not honor their warranties and parked it at the front door and drove off. Legally by law they could touch the boxes cause their building was on rented property. I drove by a week later and my boxes were still at the front of the property.

Tell everyone you can...

• Valerie Oct 08, 2008

I was charged the total finance charges on a 6 month same as cash credit loan when purchasing a computer in store. I paid all 6 months before due date yet they will sent me a bill for the finance charge because it was only 2 weeks past the "contract" date. I was told in the store it was 6 months from the 1st payment due but now they are saying it was 6 months from date of purchase. They still send me a bill every month for 9 months now adding late charges of $29 every month.

• Valerie Oct 09, 2008

I bought a Compaq laptop computer from Best Buy. 6 months later the screen backlight went out. I took it back to Best Buy, and they said that, since I hadn't bought their service plan and despite the 1-year HP warranty, the only thing they could do is shop it back to HP for me. They did all but call me a ### for not buying the service plan! They said HP would charge me at lease $500 to repair it, and I should instead let them sell me a new computer. I called HP. They had it picked up the next day. I had it back repaired 3 days later (and over a weekend). It never cost me a cent. Geek Squad is NOT to be trusted!

• Na
    NATHAN Oct 28, 2008

COME ON SERIOUSLY IF YOU OWE SOMEBODY SOMETHING IT SHOULD BE YOUR RESPONISBILITY TO PAY FOR IT WHETHER OR NOT ITS $12 OR $120 SO STOP CRYING ABOUT IT. ITS $20 OMG YOUR GOING TO GO BROKE

• Mr
    MrYoda Nov 01, 2008

last Feb I purchased a INsignia TV from bestbuy. The salesman brought the TV from the stock room and told me "that he would have to take it to the cashier" (I thought that this was a little odd). I payed for it and went home after unpacking it and setting it up I noticed a burning smell comming and smoke comming from the back of the TV. I immediately unplugged it and took a look at a closer
    inspection I could see that the plastic case was cracked in the rear and the styrofoam packaging had been pushed into the electronics of the TV and it was this that was burning (I was shocked).
    I called the store and explained it to a female in customer service and was told "to just return it and that they would look after it". The next day when I went back to the store after waiting for over an hour in a massive lineup at the returns and exchange. I was informed that THEY WOULD NEVER SELL A PRODUCT IN THAT CONDITION AND THAT I DID THIS MYSELF (I'M DISABLED) AND THAT THEY WOULD NOT EXCHANGE IT. i PERSISTED, AND WAS TOLD TO LEAVE THE STORE OR POLICE WOULD BE CALLED!! I WAS THEN SORROUNDED BY A HALF A DOZEN STAFF SOME WHO TRIED TO GRAB MY WALKING CANE AND MY BLIND-CANE (I HAVE BOTH).
    After leaving the store fearing for my safety I was stopped by Police about 10 minutes after I left the store I explained the situation to them showed them my proof and they were satisfied and left.
    They did inform me to persue it in the courts (small claims court for matters under $1, 000.00).
    I now have a TV that does not work and I'm out $300.00 I WILL NEVER EVER STEP INTO A BEST BUY EVER AGAIN AND WILL BAD MOUTH THIS COMPANY WERE EVER I CAN!!