Complaints & Reviews

service plan mysteriously cancelled

My IPhone 3GS bricked today. I was at a loss, but thought that I would be okay because I had purchased the Geek Squad Black Tie Protection. Two hours into my "customer service" experience at the local Best Buy I was informed that I had cancelled my protection in September of last year. I was very frustrated and confused when I heard this, as I had not cancelled anything. In fact the ONLY reason I purchased my IPhone at Best Buy was in order to purchase the insurance.

I spent quite a bit of time on the phone with the 1888 Best Buy number and talked to a "supervisor". She kept telling me that she was sorry for my frustration, but apparently someone called in September of last year with my name, address, phone number and last four digits of the card being charged monthly for the protection plan and cancelled it. There are a limited number of people that have that information. Me, my wife, my father-in-law, and the people that work at Best Buy. It was without a doubt, not me, my wife or my father-in-law.

I think that this is a pretty clever scam by Best Buy. Collect $15/month for 8-10 months and then have the plan cancelled. Most phones last that long anyway.

If you have a service plan with Best Buy, you may want to call in and check to make sure it hasn't been "cancelled".

I will never spend another dime with that company. I had spent the entire time I had owned an IPhone telling everyone to purchase theirs from Best Buy as they are the only ones that offer a protection plan. I will spend the rest of my life telling people about this incidence and how my protection plan was mysteriously dropped.

Shame on you Best Buy, you have turned a loyal customer and former part time employee into a life long enemy.

• Ji
    Jimmi_Jones May 08, 2011

No, I didn't notice that the charge was missing. It was going to a company credit card that I never see the invoice for.

• Mw
    mwarz May 09, 2011

i dont doubt this at all, best buy is full of people that scam you and dont tell you the details. i signed up for the credit card to finance my macbook and i made sure to get all the information i could about it. then 2 weeks later i get charged with all these fees.

• The EXACT SAME THING happened to me. When I brought my iphone in for service, the Geek Squad agent told me my Black Tie Protection (that Best Buy had been charging me $15 a month for 8 months) was no longer in place. Mysteriously, the coverage had been cancelled two weeks earlier. The question is, who cancelled it? The representative I spoke with at 888BESTBUY said the store cancelled it. The store manager said no one at his store cancelled it. So who did?

I decided not to mess around and filed a complaint with the Attorney General and would STRONGLY encourage others with similar experience to do the same. It's the only way to get to the bottom of this and find out what's really going on.

service plan

I bought samsung corby mobile from bestbuy, salesman convince me to get additional service plan in case anything goes wrong ill get new one and it did after 8months phone had some issues.I called customer service they send me ups package to send it and they will issue a gift card after 3weeks i was ok with that.
I waited like 1month nothing from them called them up and they said they have wrong address it was rubbish they have everything on my file waited 3 weeks again nothing from them called them up again a new reason computer generated error which i doubted cause they have geek squad how rubbish these guys are.
I cant do much i have to wait again 2 weeks for the gift card in mail nothing from them again.Now i was very upset i talk to some random person i think department who deal with gift card they said someone will get back again a big lie.I called them again talk to mr daryl in gift card department he aggred to issue a cheaque now it took again a week in this process and 7 days more in mail but finally the cheaque was here.
I would strongly recommend everyone not to buy anything from bestbuy very terrible ripoff service.

payments

I applied and was approved for a Best Buy MasterCard with a $300 limit. I usesd this card for gas, groceries, etc. and always made my monthly payments on time. I live paycheck to paycheck, so the avaiability of acredit card helped when the end of the month came around. I made numerous payments to the card around the first week of the month. But the payments would not process for 10 or more days!! Even some purchased did not process for days. Today I needed to use it for gas so I could get to school. The card was declined due to my balance. I began calling the customer service line at around 3pm. It is now 9:04 and I have spoken with 6 supervisors, all of whom gave me adifferent story. I would rather peel my fingernails off than deal with these stupid people anymore. I will tell every single person I meet that BestBuy is a scam waiting to happen. I have always been a big ticket customer to them, but now I will happily pay more for a company that can keep their customers satisfied.

broken kindle

I am writing to express my utter disgust and sheer disbelief at the appalling customer care I experienced earlier today at Best Buy's flagship store in Union Square, New York City.

I was given an Amazon Kindle as a birthday gift and my friend also purchased the $20 two-year protection warranty for me.

I only began using the Kindle a week ago and it has only ever been in three places: my coffee table, my laptop bag and my hands.

Yesterday evening I took it from my laptop bag and discovered strange lines across the screen making the text unreadable.

This morning I took it to the Best Buy store in Union Square and was directed to customer care. After waiting for the employee to finish a conversation with her friend I was directed to Geek Squad. The man who served me there kept insisting I must've dropped the Kindle. I told him that I had not but still he wrote on his form that the screen had suffered impact. He sent me back to Customer Care.

It was here that after an exasperating conversation with a customer care "specialist" I asked to speak to a manager.

After repeating my story for the forth time, I told the manager that I had my gift receipt and the $20 two-year warranty. She told me that the warranty doesn't cover screen defects. What is the point in buying the warranty if it doesn't cover the one most important thing? It's like having life insurance that doesn't cover death.

Best Buy is no different from the mafia extorting protection money from innocent people. There is simply no point in buying insurance. It means nothing.

The manager was unsympathetic and cold. Her attitude was very defensive. I found her company loyalty ironic as the bigwig's at Best Buy couldn't care less if she lived or died.

My experience ended with the manager telling me there was absolutely nothing she could do to help. So now I'm stuck with a broken Kindle that only gave me a weeks' worth of reading.

I have been shopping at Best Buy for years but now they have lost a customer forever over the price of a Kindle.

I will never shop at Best Buy again and will tell everyone I know not to.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Apr 16, 2011

I researched it a little, and it sounds like a problem that isn't unique to you. It can be caused by mere screen defect, the slight bump, or electro-magnetic issues. Have you tried a hard reset? If so, it seems your only solution is a replacement.

Try this: http://news.cnet.com/8301-13505_3-9968962-16.html

• Sc
    Scuccuglia Jul 04, 2011

Back in Ocotber 2009, 2 days after receiving my Kindle by post here in Brazil, I was showing my nephew how it works when the problem described above happened. Some strange lines and it never worked ok anymore. I immediately contacted Amazon and they replaced my device straightaway. I hadn't even posted the defective device when I received the second one and was delighted by their quality after sales service! Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? Good luck!

cancelled order shipped and charged to customer

On January 3rd 2011, I order a refurbished desktop PC on the Bestbuy web site. After 3 weeks waiting for delivery, I inquired Bestbuy customer services if they would deliver or. On January 25th I received a writtten confirmation from Bestbuy customer services through email that they could note deliver, that the order was canceled and I wil not be charged for the order. I though it was case closed.
Suddently, on March 10th, I received a written advice that the order got shipped same day. On the same day I asked the Bestbuy customer to cancelled the delivery since the order was suppositely cancelled. I got a reply telling me it was too late since the order got already sent. On March 11th I noticed that my credit card got charged for the order.
This clearly apears to me as a fraudulent pratice from Bestbuy.
Bestbuy customer services cannot be trusted in any way.
Bestbuy cannot be trusted in any way as this company has no respect for their customers.
I recommend to custormers to avoid from making business with Bestbuy in any ways.

• Mr
    Mr. Blue4d Mar 13, 2011

www.prepaidlegal.com/hub/tblueford

customer service

Went to store, bought and paid for Bosch Dishwasher, delivery, installation and installation kit, somewhere...

geek squad

What a mess,

I came in to my local, "trusty" Best Buy in a bind with little time to spare. My computer completely crashed beyond the point of salvation, and I rushed into the store in hopes of locking down a new laptop before the day was up (it was a Friday). I run a design business and 100% rely on having a functioning computer for all client deliverables, not to mention having several looming deadlines that were a matter of days from this point in time. I couldn't stress this enough to all Best Buy employees I'd interfaced with at the time. After talking over my purchase options, I quickly decided on a machine and committed to purchase. The sales associate was very polite and helpful, up to this point.

We went through the purchasing routine and everything seemed in order. I was told they needed to burn my backup files, install my new software and make the agreed modifications (installing a solid state drive, nothing more), which "shouldn't take more than a few hours, " the tech said. I was told, worst case, that it would be done that evening before closing time, 9:30pm at the latest (they seemed to understand my time crunch here and said the machine would have top priority). 9:30 rolls around and I haven't heard anything, so I take it upon myself to call and check in, already assuming that I'd probably be looking a pickup the next day sometime, given the lack of call. I spoke with the tech directly and he'd said they were almost all set and just needed to make a few last-minute adjustments and it'd be ready. He said, worst-case, that it would be ready by noon the next day. I stressed the importance of the deadlines I was under in a matter of 48 hours or less from this point, so he assured me that it would be ready for pickup then and that he'd call before then to give a status update, citing that techs arrive as early as 7:30am.

It's 12:30, no call or word. I call again, and am told that it's still a few hours out. Frustrated, I stress-- again-- the urgency of this, he said he ran into some issues and would call when he had a clearer idea as to when it would be ready.

It's now 6:30pm, so I call, AGAIN. I'm reassured that beyond any doubt it'll be done by 9:30pm later that evening, they were just "putting the finishing touches" on it and it'd be out the door. WOW. Ok. I'm about to lose it at this point, I could have done this myself, here I thought I was SAVING time. 9:30 rolls by, livid, I call again, nobody picks up. I call again, no answer. Really?? The store closes at 10pm.

Angry, I try to go to sleep, knowing fully that I'm in serious trouble if I don't follow through with the work I was paid to have complete by Monday morning. 10am rolls around-- the time they open on Sunday mornings-- and I call. I say, "Hello, I'm calling to check the status of the Asus G73 I'd purchased on Friday..." She replies in a snotty tone, "Uhhh--- do you have a name??" Seriously? This is how you speak to your customers? Of course I have a name, and I tell it to her. She comes back on the phone after checking in for me and says, "Uhh, he's still working on it, it probably won't be done until afternoon sometime..."

My head is about to explode. I'm considering asking for my money back, but also know that it's quite the gamble-- on one side, I could go down to Ultimate Electronics and get a great deal on the HP I'd seen over there, but they told me it would take "two hours" to set up for me. Maybe so, but if not, I'd probably have a better chance at riding out the storm here and picking it up mid-afternoon. So, I wait. Patiently.

Now, it's 6:30pm, and having just hung up the phone with the tech, the computer won't be available until "tomorrow morning" sometime, saying, "If I didn't have so many customers to deal with I could get to it sooner..." Really?? What am I? I just dropped $2, 200 on a new laptop and can't get a "priority" spot in line here? What a joke.

I'm getting a refund, having lost a $3, 000 design job by not meeting my deadlines. I'm astonished.

Best Buy is dead to me, and I'll do everything in my power to spread the word about my experiences. This isn't the first time I've had trouble with their "service" department, but it most certainly will be the last. It's truly a shame they don't have more competition in the marketplace, then they might have to actually step up their game to compete.

• Sc
    SCM_Crash May 18, 2011

I don't know why you'd trust the Geek Squad. They're a joke. I guess the general public doesn't realize this. I've had friends that I wouldn't let even look at my computer let alone work on it and they've worked at the Geek Squad. I've been a network engineer for 10 years and in that time the only place I ever knew had worse technicians was CompUSA. I had more computer knowledge in my pinky than my local CompUSA's techs knew put together. Sadly, Geek Squad isn't that much better. The real technicians they have are reserved for businesses and even then they're not that great. Before I retired from doing network engineering, I helped one of my clients move over to using the Geek Squad as their primary IT/Network Management and I can tell you first hand they're a bunch of idiots. Basic fundamentals of networking was lacking and quite disappointing was their understanding of Windows Server security.

BTW, I have this laptop you had purchased, and it's a good thing you got your refund. This laptop is a total pile of crap. Not only is ASUS customer support aweful, if you google "G73 freezing" or "G73 crashes", you'll find that this laptop is a big paper weight. I'm sorry you lost money on that project. Thanks to this laptop being such a piece of crap, I've lots about the same amount of money in time alone.

legalized fraud

If you purchase from this company you will inadvertently become a member and unknown to you, your credit card will be charged their monthly membership fee of $19.95 forever! They do not personally answer their phone and their website has no email address. I bought a bottle of perfume for the holidays and ended up paying 3 months of, so called, 'membership' fees before I caught these fraudulent charges on my card. I would attach proof, but all I have is my credit card statement. You will not get these monies back.

• De
    dee2460 Dec 27, 2011

filing the same complaint...this has happened twice now...cancelled and it started again it seems after another perfume purchase ...i do have an address for them ...received two months refund but they charged me for a year...writing company in florida and reporting to bbb...

• Ad
    Ademirb Mar 30, 2012

I have never purchased from this company and they are stealing from my credit card. I don't know how this company got my credit card number, and American Express is investigating the charges made to my account. "Best Buyer Discounts, Boca Raton, Florida is a fraud"

renwal charge

I purchased 2 desktop from Bestbuy over Thanksgiving in 2009. Around 2010 Thanksgiving, I saw 2 charges from Bestbuy on my credit card statement. I called the credit card company and was told that they were for Software renewal. The credit card company even gave me the phone number and the name of the department to contact at Bestbuy. I called Bestbuy. I was told that the charges were for Anti-virus software renwal. However, the problem is I NEVER INSTALL the software! Anyway, I cancelled BOTH "renwal" that I never ask for right away. Then, when the next credit card statement came, I found that the refunded amount was a bit less than the renewal fee for one of the 2 "renewal" that I did not ask for! I called again. I was told that the refunded amount was pro-rated.

I was unhappy with this answer. I asked to speak with the supervisor. The operator came back and said the supervisor offered a $20 gift card to me. This is slightly more than the "total lost amount". I accepted this.

However, I really think that some people is going to sue Bestbuy for this practice!

miss leading and deseptive busness pratice

Asus laptop blue screen
I did not have the Geek Squad set up my pc for an additional $100.00.
I have had it less than a month and I get the bule screen. I have several differant virus and malware scanning programs that have worked for years on all my other machines, I have the latested verison of all the programs with the windows 7 updates and all the scans show everything is clean. the geek squad said there is a virus on my laptop and it will cost $140.00 to have it removed, even through there was no virus on my laptop and still doesent have any virus on it. needless to say warrenty or not the Geek Squid will not touch any of my machines again and EVERYONE BE FORWARNED
" DONT LET THE GEEK SQUAD MESS UP YOUR COMPUTER "

pc with warranty - backup/recovery cost 2nd time around 2months after first repair

HP Desktop PC under Warranty. Went Black - sent for repair via Best Buy's Geek Squad Service on October...

manager

Store 199.
What is the purpose of having a manager if they can't help you as a customer? I took an unopened merchandise back after the holidays. Told cashier it was a present. She did it as a credit to the card. I explained to her it was a present. She said she couldn't cancel transaction. Her manager got involved. He basically said that he heard her side and couldn't help. He told me to leave the store.

Chanel77 Jan 10, 2011

The purpose of the manager is to protect company assets and provide a reasonable level of customer service. If a manager asks you to leave the store then you need to look at your own behavior, not that of the manager. Clearly understand return policies before you venture into a store to return an item. Don't ask for exceptions to policy especially with the "it was a present" line. You are actually quite lucky you were offered a credit. Kudos to the manager!

• Wo
    WorseBuy Jan 10, 2011

I guess Reasonable is a loose word. The manager didn't listen, if he did he wouldve known that his sales rep didn't ask the customer what his preference was. Instead, he chose an aggressive approach to ask customer to leave. Obviously, he had no intentions of righting a wrong from his team. As far as the return policy goes, it was a present ordered online, was it my fault that it came two weeks later? This was the second item in that order. If you are going to pull that line that I was lucky to return it, I suggest you be consistent. Check again because I returned the first item last week and got credit on a gift card bc she asked.

Chanel77 Jan 10, 2011

What exactly is it that you would like me to check again? I clearly understood your post, however, I certainly see where you had options to avoid this unpleasant situation entirely (as stated in my previous post in understanding return policies). I make online purchases nearly every week. There is always a statement or receipt accompanying every transaction I've ever made. This includes the purchases that I have made from Best Buy online. There is often a statement inside the shipment as well. You chose not to take the whole 30 seconds it would have taken to print off the receipt and instead went into the store with non-receipted merchandise. It's not your fault that the shipment was late, you are absolutely correct. What is your fault though is if you had access to the receipt and chose not to take it with you, then shame on you. You could have also taken the merchandise back home with you until you located the receipt if you didn't want the credit. You didn't choose any of these options. The discretion to make a policy exception is left up to the manager and he did not have any wrong on the part of his team to right. He simply chose not to make that exception. He doesn't have to just because another manager did that for you. Again, you could have just as easily taken the merchandise back home with you until you located the receipt. You asked the role of the manager and although he didn't side with you like you wanted/expected that doesn't make him a bad manager. He did his job and made the decision, one that you didn't want to hear. The fact that he finally had to ask you to leave is yet another shame on you. He runs a business and there will be times when a customer doesn't like his decisions. This does not give the customer the right to act out in any way, shape, or form. It's great to vent and that is what you did here. However, hopefully you will also take this as a learning experience, do some self-analysis in regards to your own behavior, and think twice before you return non-receipted merchandise to business.

special order failure

Best Buy listed a video card I wanted to purchase as shipping within 1-2 business days. After almost a week I inquired as to why it was still in "In Process" and not shipped. The friendly gentleman on the phone informed me that it is a "special order" and it would take 2-4 weeks for it to be manufactured and then shipped in about a week after that. I asked them why it did not tell me online that and he said it should have and he informed me his system did. The man on the phone was informative and friendly, but I might have bought another product if I knew I would have to wait up to a month to receive my product. I'll be sure to ask people to not get me Best Buy gift cards next Christmas!

• Br
    Bryan Green Jul 30, 2007

Best Buy Online offered a deal of 2 Motorola KRZR K1m white phones with 2 year service agreement with Verizon for $0. However, two days after our order was posted, the order was cancelled by Best Buy because those phones were actually out of stock. So I was then offered, the similar phone in Red or Silver, except it would now cost $50 per phone. They refused to give a discount on the similar phones to make up for the cancelled order. So thank you Best Buy, I am now done with you.

customer service

This year I have brought a number of products from your company and am shocked at the poor level of customer service to say the least.

Only a few months ago I purchased some audio equipment and installation, only to turn up and be informed your sales representative had failed to book it. Naturally I was angry, however to top it off, your installer said it wasn't his problem and that I would have to rebook. After 30 minutes of arguing with various members of staff including a manager, they decided they would do it that day. Seriously this is poor service to say the least, in fact arguing with the customer and saying its my problem is about as bad as it can get.

If that wasn't bad enough, lets move on to my second experience of your companies wonderful service. On December 25/10 I decided to buy a Sony car stereo (I must be mad after my first experience with you). When i say buy, I mean tried to buy as after 2 days I still haven't been able to purchase it. I have tried 2 credit cards, wasted hours on the telephone waiting to speak to an agent and then going around in circles time and time again. They check my credit card details, they match, you then send me an email 5 hours later saying to call back. I call back your systems are down, I give a new credit card, it doesn't go through and on and on.

To end this matter I took the opportunity to speak with a very rude supervisor named Renee whose staff ID is 1076. Like your installer, she is very rude and agressive and likes to blame the customer for the problem. She didn't want to help, didn't apologise and didn't at my request let me speak to her superior (you must really train your staff well).

As your systems were down yet again you couldn't put my credit card details through there and then. She said I would need to call back. I declined and asked for her or a colleague to call back, she declined, I asked 10 more times, she declined. Apparently 'company policy in busy periods not to call customers back even though they are unhappy'.

So, I write to you requesting you sort this out and give me some incentive else I will never set foot in a Bestbuy or Futureshop again. There are plenty of other companies out there who want my money, the choice is yours. There is nothing wrong with my credit cards and I don't appreciate the time I have wasted just trying to buy a product online.

I refuse to call back as I have already called 6 times and I am seriously unhappy with your company right now and do not even expect a reply.

Reply:

Thank-you for contacting Best Buy advising us of the issues you have been having.

We apologize for the frustrating experiences.

We have checked your order # [protected]. When we call your Financial Institution to verify the billing information on your order, we are being advised that these cards are debit cards and not credit cards.

When placing online orders, you need to use a credit card.

When calling us, instead of using the automated system, you can call [protected]. Choose your language option, then press #1 for bestbuy.ca inquires and then press #5 to speak to a live agent.

Wow great response best buy, sounds like you didn't even read my email and for the record I used a visa credit card and even said I wouldn't ring back...say no more

no one will help me

I am sending this everywhere until someone helps me. I am also posting on all social media sites until I can...

customer service

Horrid store, horrible experience!

Oh man, where to begin? Can someone please explain to me why there is no sign in the store telling you where to go to pick-up your online order (it's not the customer service desk, it's actually near the back of the store)? Do you know how many times I've stood on line at customer service and watched people wait (as I did the first time) to pick up an item, only to be directed to another line somewhere else? Put up a sign!!!

And why isn't there a sign explaining that if you are returning or exchanging defective opened electronic merchandise, you must actually wait in the Geek Squad line (not the regular customer service line) so they can look at it there before they'll agree (or not) to a return/exchange? Put up a sign!!!

Also, why are the Geek Squad employees here so supremely unpleasant? Actually, I only dealt with one, but he was the King of Jerks. The computer I brought back was defective - a call with the manufacturer determined this, but the employee still wanted to charge me a restocking fee.

Actually, I think that I may have even been given a used computer, since there was no computer set-up process, only Windows registration, the hard drive had already been partitioned peculiarly, and there was no white sticker on the box which they put there to determine if the box has been opened or not. And I paid for a new computer, not refurbished. I had to argue with this guy for 20 minutes, with him telling me that all netbooks were like that, that why did I need more space on the C drive anyway, and was I sure that I hadn't actually messed it up myself? He actually asked me that, with a truly condescending smile.

I told him I wanted to speak to the manager. He finally came back and said I could exchange it with no fee, but if the next computer was like that, then there was nothing else I could do. Well, as it turns out, they were out of stock, so I opted for a refund. Guess what? Their computer system couldn't process returns for online purchases at that time, so I had a bad computer that I couldn't exchange or return. I had to drive to the Best Buy near my home, where the people were very nice and also couldn't do the return process the usual way, but managed to do it a different way, which they said the Long Island City store could have done too, and didn't have to send me out of the way for nothing.

By the way - I went elsewhere and got a new, different computer, same manufacturer (they use the same setup process on all their netbooks), and this time there was an actual set-up process, like there's supposed to be, and a white sticker on the box, like there's also supposed to be. Still think I messed up the first time, Geek Squad guy?

How much do I despise this store, and especially its King of Jerks Geek Squad employee? If my life depended on it, I still would never go back there again. Not for any great deal or bargain or location convenience. Not. For. Anything. Ever.

P.S. Put up a sign!!!

charges

This company activated a credit card that had not been active for almost 2 years, never told me I owed them the annual fee ($69) on a cc with a $300 limit, give me a break. When I contacted them they told me they would cancel the card and all the fees "LIE". Now i have to deal with them on this when I didn't even activate the card. This should be considered a stolen card!!!

• Ri
    Rinnie1 Jan 19, 2011

Reward Zone MC refuses to cancel the card. Multiple calls, and usually after lengthy argument, and reminding them of an extensive call history of attempts to cancel (which they should have documented) they promise to cancel the account. Last time demanded they confirm in writing, which did not happen. Still not closed after nearly a year. About all they did was remove the late charges.

• Re
    rewardrage Oct 20, 2011

I was notified that my Reward Zone MC was just cancelled for not using it within 6 months. I think it would have been better for them to notify me that if I do not use it then they wouldn't have to close it. I was planning on using this card for Christmas!!. They can notify you of a late fee, past due, ect but they cannot tell you that you have a month to use the card or it will be closed. I am sure Best Buy would rather make the money off the people that do not pay their cards, then the people that actually pay their card on time.

• Wh
    Whitelandia Oct 22, 2011

this card is a scam, as is their customer service and rude managers. i would never shop at best buy, they are deceitful, do not match wal mart or costco. costco and wal mart have cheaper and better warrentees

15% restocking fee from bestbuy

If you purchase something from Wal-Mart, Sears, etc. And you return the item with the receipt, they will give you your money back if you paid cash, or credit your account if paid by plastic.

Well, I purchased a GPS for my car:
a Tom Tom XL.S from

'Best Buy'.

They have a policy that it must

be returned within 14 days for a refund!

So after 4 days I returned it in the original box with all the items in the box, with paper work and cords all wrapped in the plastic. Just as I received it, including the receipt.

I explained to the lady at the return desk I did not like the way it couldn't find store names.

The lady at the refund desk said, there is a 15% restock fee, for items returned. I said no one told me that.
I asked how much would that be. She said it goes by the price of the item.
It will be $45 for you.
I said, all you're going to do is walk over and place it back on the shelf then charge me $45 of my money for restocking? She said that's the store policy.
I said if more people were aware of it they would not buy anything here! If I bought a $2000 computer or TV and returned it I would be charged $300 restock fee? She said yes. 15%.

I said OK, just give me my money minus the restock fee.

She said, since the item is over $200 dollars, she can't give me my money back!

Corporate has to and they will mail you a check in 7 to ten days.! I said 'WHAT?'

It's my money! I paid in cash!
I want to buy a different brand..
Now I have to wait 7 to 10 days.
She said well, our policy is on the back of your receipt.

I said, do you read the front or back of your receipt? She said well, the front! I said so do I. I want to talk to the Manager!

So the manager comes over, I explained everything to him, and he said, well, sir they should have told you about the policy when you got the item. I said, no one has ever told me about the check refund or restock fee when I bought items from computers to TVs from Best Buy. The only thing they ever discussed was the worthless extended warranty program.
He said, well, I can give you corporate phone number.

I called corporate. The guy said, well, I'm not supposed to do this but I can give you a 45 dollar gift card and you can use it at Best Buy.

I told him if I bought something and returned it, you would charge me a restock fee on the item and then send me a check for the remaining 3 dollars.

You can keep your gift card, I'm never shopping in Best Buy ever again, and if I'd been smart, I would have charged the whole thing on my credit card! Then I would have cancelled the transaction.

I would have gotten all my money back including your stupid fees! He didn't say a word!

I informed him that I was going to e-mail my friends and give them a heads-up on the store's policy, as they don't tell you about all the little caveats.

So please pass this on. It may save your friends from having a bad experience of shopping at Best Buy

It's true! Read it for yourself!!

• Da
    danong40 Nov 12, 2010

Right

• Po
    pobarjenkins Nov 12, 2010

A restock fee often involves repackaging and a lot more than putting it back on the shelf.

You sound like a ### to me. First of all, it is standard practice for companies not to issue out cash refunds of over a certain amount. Why? Because they do not keep that much money in their till at one time. They drop it off in a safe as often as possible. Even if you had used a credit card, visa/mastercard/discover can take up to two weeks to display a credit, even if a company shows it immediately.

Read your entire receipt next time. Best Buy tried to fix the situation, but it's clear you had a temper tantrum and didn't want anything to do with it.

• He
    hermyt Mar 30, 2011

You think thats bad? I agree you should read the policies before purchasing but check this out, did you know that if you purchase a product online for a fully agreed upon price and the merchant ships that product and tacks on COD charges after the fact (with nothing stated at any time prior to purchase or in terms and conditions) and if you refuse delivery of the product because of COD charges that you CANNOT do a chargeback, mastercard will protect the merchant and they can hit you with any amount of restocking fee even though you've never received the product due to the COD charges. Its a great scam they pay for one way delivery and can keep any amount of the transaction they want and they get an unopened product to resell that is not devalued and has never been in a completed transaction.

• Su
    supermama Jun 09, 2011

Best buy should of tell people at the cashier or have a big sign at the cashier. 15% fee is a lot!!! They are robbing people's hard earn money. Thanks for this post, now I know how best buy is and will becareful next time...

poor service

After five telephone attempts to connect with the Magnolia Center at Best Buy, I got into my car and drove to their location. The store was relatively empty with many blue-shirted Best Buy employees talking among themselves, laughing and enjoying the night in retail.

I stood in the Magnolia Center for about ten minutes before I walked to the front of the store and asked a salesperson/guard checking receipts if he could help me. He told me that he could not and suggested that I go to the Magnolia Center and wait for a customer service rep to help me. When I explained I just came from the Magnolia Center, he said, try again.

I did.

This time, I caught the eye of a sales person who said he would be right with me. I was patient and sat watching television, until I realized that the DVD was coming to the end, and my salesperson was no where in sight.

I asked another salesperson if she could help me and she said she was going to break and would send someone over to help me. So far, I was in the store about forty-five minutes when I got the idea to call the store from my cell phone and see if anybody would answer.

So, I phoned and was told that everyone was busy but eventually someone came on the line and told me that he could not help me with a service call because I would have to be in the store to sign for the service call. When I asked were he was standing, he said he was in the store. When I told him so was I, he hung up the phone.

Here are my two complaints: first, why should anyone have to travel to Best Buy Dedham to have a service call on a complete entertainment center they installed. It seems to me, if I were a valued customer, I would be treated like one and not like some common criminal who is trying to hustle them for a "free" service call.

Secondly, when you lie to a customer you run the risk that the customer may just know as much or more than you do. I know that my customer service rep was lying to me because as I was leaving I overheard him in the corridor, directly behind and to the side of the Magnolia Center tell a fellow employee, "You won't believe the &^%$ hole who called store from in the store. )(*& him! He can wait forever."

Well, I hope if you're in the market for a new television, or entertainment center you consider every other place in the universe before you consider Best Buy. One thing is almost certain, you'll get better service from almost every other place in the universe than Best Buy.

scam extent warranty

I bought a Sony Notebook at Best Buy along with an Extent warranty on 12/22/2008.This warranty is not expired...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices