Belk Department Storeemployees are treated badly

K

I have worked for belk in florence, south carolina for two years and they just terminated me because of lateness. I really think it was unfair because of the fact that I a sick grandmother and I had to tend to her before I go to work because she was in and out of the hospital. The reason why it was unfair because I would call a manager to tell them that iwould be running a little late because of my grandmothers medical condition. I am going to honest yes they have warn me a couple of times but I was thinking if I call and told a manager it would been okay by them but unfortnately it wasn't. Also the human resource manager was very unprofessional about the situation he just told me how many days I missed and told me to just go ahead and sign the paper. He didn't inform me at all that I was being terminated which wasn't right at all. Also belk had a policy when if you don't get an amount of credit applications each week that they would also enforce of getting rid of associates who couldn't succeed in getting applications. I also thought this was outrageous because of the economy and the bail - out many people at this point do not want to be in credit card debt!!! I am just writing this complaint because I enjoyed working at belk but it had too many strict rules that just didn't make sense. I was a diligent, dependable worker and I was ways willing to sacrifice to help the company when they had no one in the shoe department. They would call me on my days off to come in and I always made a way to get their and still when my grandmother was sick I still went in because I didn't want to leave any of my associates out. I always should up late or not late I was there and I was one of their good workers. I just hope this situation doesn't happen to someone else. To whom ever reading my story thanks for taking your time out to read this. I am going to call the belk excel line also about this matter!!!

Disappointed Today Sep 01, 2016

My husband who is a manager alerted the "higher ups" his Human Resource lady was concealing money ear marked for Charities. He was the one discplined for allowing it to happen, acxording to them. Not taking into consideration there is no loss prevention in the store and we are talking about a person who had worked in this position fo more than 20 years. Belk collects money on behalf of charities and has made it a huge selling tool however Belk DOES NOT follow the guidelines for doing so and has no store tracking of the money collected. This HR Person is one of how many doing this? Who knows? Belk is now trying to back track and cover their butts and write people up who know the truth about their fake, false, and faulty collecting on behalf of charities. I will be alerting the proper authorities about this and will send the 19 page manual to the COO about Charities Fraud.

• Fr
    frustruated in Alabama Nov 08, 2015

Management is not the best in the world. We never have enough staff. We are expected to do alot of things that used to be performed by 2 associates. When associates leave from a department, they are not replaced and the full time people are expected to do their job and the jobs of the others that left. We are told there are no hours available when that can't be true since everyone that has left is not replaced. Is it just me that sees it like that? We have alot of employees in our store that do not work They do not recover or anything else except stand behind the register and that is tolerated. We have associates that are doing tihings that are questionable as far as leaving the floor for extended times, getting applying for credits from people with no identification. Something is just not right in our Alabama store. No one covers a schedule when someone calls out or just quits. Does this sound right?

• Pj
    pjburnette Sep 01, 2015

Never work for belk

Not4belk Jan 06, 2015

I worked at a belk in walterboro, sc as a seasonal employee. I was not trained well at all, I was pretty much thrown out there to tend to the customers. Don't get me wrong, everyone was really nice but can you image me leaving the customer in the middle of a transaction to ask another associate for assistance? The store is very understaffed also. There are times when there is no one working at any of the makeup counters and belk expects anyone working there to just help them out, that's the craziest thing I've ever witnessed. Anyways today was my last day there as an employee because they are not willing to work with my college school schedule. The store manager requested that I stay until they're finished their inventory, but what's the point of me assisting this greedy company when they won't work with some so important as college. This establishment could care less about their associates, their only concern is their pockets! Don't work here or in my opinion, don't shop here either with their expensive prices!

• Jj
    Jj92 Nov 11, 2014

I work at a belk in north Mississippi. I have been working here for a year. I have NEVER even heard of excel line. I'm glad to know that less hours scheduled my gm gets a bonus. I have been late several times with only one warning I'm a very hard worker and I'm extremely "customer servicey" if that could be a word. Bein in a commissioned department my check has gone up about 300 dollars and that has a lot to do with holidays but I dont think my belk has near as many problems as all these others. They aren't as strict on credits. Generally trying have to have 2 a week. Which we get praised for as well as item ordering and customer surveys. Belk is definitely a numbers game tho. At first I thought it was only with sales coupons clearance etc but now I see that it's a numbers game cheating us from getting appropriate hours to keep our sales equal. Etc. I don't think it's fair that pace setter and consultant get scheduled first. They always get the best hours so they are goin to continue to get best sales also off every other wknd. I am full time too and I work every single wknd. Atleast every Saturday. And of I dare request off for Saturday I'll be closing like two extra nights too that week or working two Sundays in a row etc. it's like if you request off you get punishedwith the rest of the week some way. Also I the schedule is computer generated why do I only get one weeks worth of schedule every week??? It should atleast all be up for holidays especially since we aren't allowed to take off from November 2- December 27th. Also I work with someone who has exceptionally made goals for almost 6 years now and is full time. Why can't she have a steady schedule?? I mean belk could atleast do that after you worked there for 5 years but I see ppl on here getting fired after 13 years for nt getting enough credits so I guess I shouldn't say anything.

• Ka
    katie123456789 Oct 21, 2014

I've just started working at Belkand reading all of this scares me. there are a few ### i work with. one made me stay later than i had to because of her break. she knew i had to leave and took a longer break. My manager is a ###, all she does is critisize what I do. I like everyone else. I am now afraid

• Si
    Sick of Waynesville N.C. Oct 11, 2014

I totally agree I have worked for Belk Waynesville N C for two years and recently was called on the carpet for my language. Now I agree with the profanity rule but when they got me in there they wrote me up for said profanity and than turned it in to a personnel
    Attack .They talked about how I didn't do my job in a timely manner and that I talked about my manager behind her back and that this was coming from all my co workers on the ROCC team.I have since spoke to several of my co workers and they have said no such thing.So that just goes to show how they use intimidation to belittle and you to cow tow.They may have wrote me up for profanity but IT was nothing compared to the language I used on them later. Hating Waynesville N.C. And will probably walk soon they suck did someone say class action. Count me in

I agree 100 % I have worked at belk waynesville n

• Is
    ishudkno Sep 11, 2014

Sad but true, I have been with the company for almost 5 years and my partner has been with them for 15...Eventho the employee handbook policy states that management may not date hourly employees, neither of us are in management, and its still a problem..but with that being said, other employees have dated before and this has not been an issue..time and time again we have been told by management to "not cause a fuss" over anything, because "you know he doesn't like that"...THAT being that we are both females, or THAT because we work overtime, work our days off, can pass drug screens (unlike half the employees, who have came to work under the influence) and are used in every department, yes every.. While the ones that are late, no call no shows, and are just plain rude, get all the praises..From my understanding, it is one of the last remaining private owned companies, I guess this is their excuse..would you rather not have people in your company that can do multiple positions within the store, or do you thrive on having drug addicted employees within the company. So nope, to the one that said that were all just disgruntled employees, come work in my store for a week, and I think you may see otherwise..Excel IS a JOKE...

• Co
    ComplBelk Sep 03, 2014

I HATE WORKING AT BELK...They # 1 UNDERPAY their employees !! You think that its this great big company that we would at least get time and a half. If someone calls out then they will have you jump from dept to dept...like dude im not even gettting more than 8 an hour are you kidding me!! The part really suck when you never worked in the dept EVER and customers ask you questions and you get looked at all wrong simply because you have NO IDEA smh...BOTTOM LINE IM SO OVER THIS HELL HOLE!!! DO NOT WORK THIS COMPANY IT ID NOT WORTH IT !

• Aj
    Aja2188 Jul 18, 2014

I am currently working at Belk in Alliance, Texas and I hate it!! I have a manager who is constantly on my case, and I think it's just because she doesn't like me. It's a horrible place to work at .

• Wh
    Whistle Blower 2014 Jul 01, 2014

To the poor dumb Fat grey 123 YOu don't know what your talking about They Have and DO FIRE not lay off people and IF they sniff your an excell caller your a target. OH BTW EXCELL They ignore I know been there don that it's only so they can say they have a way for associates to complain. Nothing ever comes of it

Madmom90 Apr 28, 2014

Maybe they were all in the loss prevention office getting trained on how to profile shoppers, hoping you would steal what you picked up so that they can detain you until police get there so they (the police) can tase you.

• Fa
    Fatgrey123 Apr 16, 2014

This all sounds like a bunch of disgruntled employees to me. Belk is too easy going on associates. That is their problem. It is retail people. You have to work bad schedules and weird hours, and you should not come in late, and call in all of the time. Grow up, it is a job. Be glad that you have one.

They do not lay off people for not getting credits, being late, calling in, etc. They should, but they don't. At least the store that I work at does not.

All-in-all, it is a pretty good place to work. Quit complaining.
    By the way, they do not fire people for calling the Excel line. They have this in place for associates to call if they have a "real" complaint. They would not fire someone for this.

• Re
    RetailSlave985 Apr 06, 2014

That's because Belk is trying to get rid of as many people as possible with their unreasonable demands and unattainable goals. Belk isn't happy unless associates are set up to fail, and Belk couldn't care less about its customers. They only want one associate for every 4 or 5 areas per shift, and each associate has to do the work of 100. Belk is 20 million times worse than Wal-Mart when it comes to treating associates like slaves and not caring about customers.

• Re
    RetailSlave985 Apr 04, 2014

I agree with everything that's been said. Belk is so sleazy, they make Wal-Mart look great!

• Kl
    K.Lss Mar 28, 2014

Yep...all of this sounds accurate. For a retail chain that makes (at times) a million use a month, they pay very low wages and give even worse hours. They get by on the hard working backs of associates and label them part time and seasonal so they don't have to ante up. Credit requirements for job retention is ridiculous and goes hand in hand with the "snake oil salesmen" tactics of the misleading and fine print exclusions of the coupons. I felt the worst I have ever felt in any job while working at Belk. They make hundreds and hundreds of thousands of dollars a month (I.e. Expressed in the morning meetings!). Yet they lay people off for not averaging a credit every 18 hrs when the majority of the population has had their credit cards already since 1970...????????

• Ho
    Home Store Mar 05, 2014

Anyone that has worked at the Belks in the northlake mall or Southpark and has been unfairly treated or terminated Please contact civil rights activist John Barnett he is helping me and can Help you too

• Ho
    Home Store Mar 05, 2014

Anyone in the Charlotte North Carolina area who has been Fired and you feel it was Unfair or racially motivated Please contact John Barnes Civil Rights Activist

• Fr
    frozen shoulder Mar 05, 2014

It is a shame for a big company like Belk to have all these complaints and NOTHING be done about it!!! I worked at Belk Dutch Square for 10 years, and over those years I have hurt myself so many times and didn't complain about it or file any workers comp until I had hurt my arm so bad and for months would hurt! Workers Comp denied the claim!!! All those years of putting out racks of sheets, pots, dishes, etc., and Belk turns its back on me! I was even what some call the "RCC" queen! Thanks Belk!

• Ro
    roxie60 Jan 29, 2014

After reading these complaints listed, I am thankful to be at "My" Belk store. I have a wonderful store manager and the sales floor managers are the best! I have been with Belk almost 14 years and I have very little to ever complain about. The sales associates are treated with the utmost respect, and even though we do all have goals to meet, I don't think I've ever known of anyone to be let go for not meeting them. It is very true that people make the difference in a working enviroment and I am so happy to be working for and with the ones I do!!!

• Why is it strange that when I and a select few punch in at any given time just to have it processed and recorded a minute ahead? Minutes add up! Is Belk stealing minutes from us?

• I think it's very weird how I and a select few have watched ourselves punch in let's say at 8am and it records and processes at 8:01am! so what of I punch in at 8:05 and it records as 8:06? so I'm late?

• Je
    J.Ed Oct 12, 2013

I'm glad I came across this website. I work at Belk at West Town mall in Knoxville, Tn. I've been there for over a year now. I can relate fully to most of the previous comments. I have witnessed favoritism, managers treating employees like dirt, ridiculous credit and sales goals-ours is 1:18. I think I'm something like 40 behind for the year. They constantly threaten our jobs for not reaching our credit goals. During the weekends we are expected to get 30-40 credit apps a day. On Saturdays they send associates to a table at the mall entrances with free gifts begging for credit apps. I have been told to fling with guys to convince them to sign up, and how to profile the easiest targets. We start every morning with a meeting in which we here all about credit. They preach relentless customer care and then schedule as few employees as possible to cover the departments. If you are smart, you ignore orders to put out stock so you can meet your sales goals. This company needs to go under. The Belk brothers are rich enough. But they are incredibily greedy. I wish Macy's would find a way to come to all the areas there are Belk and put them out of businesses.

Jodi Encapera Oct 08, 2013

I agree100 percent!!!I work forBelk in Savannah Ga.When it was time for a promotion I was denied because of not getting credit card applications I do my job above and beyond and not acknowledged.They have mandatory meetings upon Sundays at 8:45 in the mornings so that means no church, but then have to work eight hours after that and worked till 10:00 the night before.I have vacation time coming have asked for vacation three times and always denied!!!I will lose it in November.An Extremely horrible company to work for.

• Ne
    Neil Hughes Sep 10, 2013

Stopped in to shop because of your big and tall selection. Understanding it is Tuesday night @ 7:00 I didn't expect much assistance and there wasn't any. After about 30 minutes I made three selections and headed to check out. No one @ any check out desk, no way to alert service, not an employee in sight and approximately 40-50 shoppers in the store. Most of which were in the men's section. After about 15-20 minutes waiting to check out I left your clothes on the check out desk. Maybe the morning crew will restock them or not. Pitiful!!!

• Pe
    pebbles1249 Jul 02, 2013

I have been working part-time at a Belks in Easley, SC. Been there for 2 yrs, I also have a full-time day job Monday thru Friday. I had to change my availability to help out my daughter and keep my grandkids for 12 weekends, but informed them Monday thru Thursday was fine. I was told this was not possible and if I had to do this they would have to let me go and after 12 weeks reapply. this makes no since to me at all! People change their availability all the time and this is only temporary. Is it against the rules to temporarely change your availability? College kids do it all the time to accomodate there school schedule.

disgusted222 May 09, 2013

What validation to read these comments. I have worked as a part-time sales associate for three years at Belk. This was my first retail job so I have nothing to compare it to. I am shocked at the mistreatment and "favoritism" shown to the employees. I have always done office work in the past, and working at Belk has really put a bad taste in my mouth about the retail world. All the comments/pressure on opening credit cards is completely true. At Belk, you are only as good as your last credit. The "credit queen/kings" are immune from all rules and regulations. And they know this! Credit queens/kings get preferential treatment. I'll just put it bluntly "love the job, hate the company". I tell this to everyone I know.

Also, I have never seen such a miserable group of people. After being there three years, I now understand why. Thank goodness I am only part-time. I read a comment one time that said Belk's slogan should be Modern, Southern, GREED! I couldn't agree more.

The managers do not want to hear any comments from you. Just do exactly what they so no matter wrong you think they are. They are not open to any corrective criticism at all. I'm in the process of looking for another job. I really enjoy retail and helping people; however, I hope the next company I work for will really appreciate "real" customer service skills.

• Im
    imheretovent Feb 04, 2013

Do not expect any raises. BUT expect to see paycuts. This is the CHEAPEST company I've ever worked for. They look for any reason to not pay you what you've earned.

I work on commission in shoes. We recently had inventory, requiring me to work off the sales floor to help prep. There should be emphasis on the word "help", because I did not have to do it. I was assured that my hours would be backed out, and not to fret over my sales. Ignorantly, I listened to my managers and the lady who works in the cash office, and helped them out. Now, they asked me to come in early on a saturday to help, which ended up being a 14 hour shift for the day. I'm young, I can handle that. The next day was the day of inventory, which I was scheduled 6:00 am to 4:00 pm (after leaving the store at 12:30 the night before). I had no problem doing that. My store manager knew that I had worked a 14 hour shift the day before, but still asked me to work my 6-4 shift AND stay until we finished inventory. I agreed as long as I could have a split shift like everyone else; Meaning that I would work 6:00 am until 11 am then come back at 5 pm until 11 pm. He told me to look at the "hot sheet" to see who was working that day. We had 3 people working in my department for the day (typical sunday). I said, "Great, so I"ll be back at 5?" and he said, "No, I know we have 3 people but I'd feel more comfortable with you on the floor." Then I felt like he was taking advantage of me. Not only did I just work a 14 hour shift with a 45 minute break the day before, but now he wants me to work a 16 hour shift with an hour break... because he feels more comfortable that way. I SHOULD have said no, but our HR promised to give me any vacation time I asked for... which is still pending in the system. So i did it. I actually ended up working 18 hours that day because we stayed past midnight to finish inventory. So in two days I worked 32 hours, 31:15 to be exact once breaks were removed...

Now to the REALLY interesting part. I worked those excruciating hours, and I felt great. I had given 100% and we completed inventory. The nightmare was over... or so I thought.

I get my check and see that I did not have my hours backed out (as promised) for those awful 31:15 hours that I worked off the floor. Now if you don't know what that means... I'll explain. Everyone has a sales goal. When you work on commission, you have your sales goal BUT if you do not meet that goal, whatever you did not make... you pay it back to Belk. My goal is $113 every hour that I work. If I only make $100 every hour for 8 hours... I already owe belk $104. So, with the 31:15 hours that I worked not making a dime because I'm off the floor... I had to make $113 for EVERY SINGLE hour. I now OWE belk $3551 in sales on top of the $113 I have to make an hour BECAUSE I bent over backwards TO HELP them.

I have voiced my complaints over this situation, and no one seems to care. You want to know why? Because it isn't their paycheck. They don't care what I make or what I deserve to make or if I complain. All they care about is themselves.

And another thing I'd like to vent about...

We are vastly understaffed right now. We have literally NO ONE scheduled in certain departments, which is really killing our RCC score. If you want to know why your hours are being cut right now... ask your store manager. For every hour not used during this time of year, it makes his/her check bigger. They literally get a BONUS for understaffing us and making our lives miserable. Some days we don't have any managers scheduled. Our store literally runs on our HR and cash office lady. Can someone tell me WHY these people are getting away with this? AND THEN our freaking monkey- store manager- decides to waltz in... read our RCC score and say, "Come on guys, we're better than that". No ### sherlock, you're the one understaffing us for YOUR benefit.

I have no trust, or respect for anyone ranked above me. It has ruined my outlook on this job. I have no hope... no faith... no desire to work for them anymore. DO NOT work for this company. You will regret it.

• Sh
    Shar A Smile Jan 13, 2013

These comments actually look like they come from associates of Dillard's! Obviously these companies have no integrity when it comes to respect for their fellow man. The greed of the large corporations, ( the CEO's) is a huge part of the national degradation of the middle class workers that struggle because of the fact we still have integrity. What if we all start treating each other and our managers the same way they treat us? Fortunately for myself, I have an incredibly fantastic GM. The reason I chose to work at my Belk is because of the integrity of this gentleman. He expects the same consistency from his management team. Bottom line is, never tolerate being treated unfairly by any one or any company! We still have rights and you must stand up for them! I left Dillards because of unscrupulous behavior among management! It starts at the top and rolls down. Never go to work for anyone that has questionable motives. Take these awful experiences and learn from them, get away from miserable evil people and pray for guidance in your new search. Just remember, what goes around really does come back around! So, be sure you are doing the best you honestly can do. Strive to be happy and love people. If it does not come naturally, you are in the wrong line of business anyway! There are lowdown dishonest people in every line of work, but, you do not have to put up with them! Run them off!!

• Sc
    scrwbelk Jan 02, 2013

I completely agree. I have worked at belk for 3 Yeats and it is the worst place ever. I have a great asm but hate my store manager. It has prompted me to go back to school. I have learned to give belk what they dish out. Have a visit from someone in upper management? What do I get if I come in on my off day to help straighten? If I get nothing, then have fun straightening it yourself. After having it out with my store manager, I had a Dr write me a note for no more than 8 hours on my feet, and I must have a break after 3 hrs. I have also told her that if she fires me I will sue belk as a company and her personally for lost wages and wrongful termination as indicated by the Americans with disabilities act. As far as schedule changes, I require 2 weeks notice for changing my schedule. If u change it, don't expect me to be here. Fire me and I will sit my fat ### on unemployment until I finish school, which counts against the stores bottom line. I hate that it has to be like this but I'm done with them jerking me around. All of this is after I increased my counter sales 70% over the year before, I always make my sales and credit and repeatedly came in for floor moves and everything else. The result is that they pretty much leave me alone.

• As
    ASM GONE Oct 03, 2012

I too worked for Blek for exactly 10 months and 12 days...and everything is true!! I was on the management team and got treated by the store manager like dirt! She made cruel and inapporiate comments about associates. She was NEVER happy with anything you did! Our regional very rarely showed up to see how things were going...and they were only four miles ways!!! The store manager made us change schedules all the time to help her meet payroll...but ASMs never saw a bonus. There were nights when you work to midnight or later for crap salary! She was the fakest person I ever met!! and if you were homosexual...you may as well hang it up!! She did her best to get everyone out she could. She did not like the associates that were there from the Parisian time and was always looking to get rid of them too!!! And Lord if you didn't make CREDIT! In a time when people are trying to get OUT OF DEBT???? I would NEVER tell anyone to apply at Belk...the excell line does not work and no one cares what you are going through. OPEN DOOR POLICY MY BUTT!!!

• Ne
    Newbiebelker Sep 02, 2012

Wow, I am a newbie to Belk but had no idea the company was this bad. Only thing I have experienced so far is the schedule change, none of the other stuff I am hearing on here. Hope my store doesnt get this bad.

Dixie Chick Aug 04, 2012

I've been working at the Belk in Shallotte, NC for a few years. I have a long history of sales and this is the WORST place to work by far. I've put up with it because of the bad economy and tried to be "thankful" that I have a job. At this point, I'm not sure how much longer I can work here. Things have gotten even worse since they started this new "customer service" initiative thing. Now, the managers have to stand nearby with a notebook while you are closing a sale to critique what you did and nitpick how you did it. This is mandated from corporate! Most of the managers only point out the 1 negative thing you did and never mention the 10 great things you did. This is terrible for morale when you have gone above and beyond to make the customer happy and all you hear is negative comments from management. I am a FANTASTIC sales associate and I will take my talents elsewhere...

• El
    ellerbee2012 Jul 14, 2012

I worked at Belk for almost 6 years and it was pretty much horrible the whole time.
    Everyone is right about the management showing favoritism. It's true that the schedules changed at the drop of a dime, and I went 6 or 8 months at times without a weekend off unless I asked (vacation, etc.)
    Getting people to apply for Belk Credit cards is insanely difficult, and there are people who lie to the customers to get 10/day then there are those people who get 10/year (I felt guilty asking certain customers and with the interest rates at 24%+...you have to be an idiot to use the stupid thing)! The Hispanic population really got taken advantage of by certain employees, and would just hand over all of their information without even knowing what they were signing up for. It was ridiculous.
    It's really hard to be forced to stand at the register and get sales to keep your SPH up even if you have other tasks that needed to be done as well (markdowns, stock, sale sets, etc.)
    The store I worked in hired a ton of Christmas help (for minimum wage I'm sure) and gave them all the busy hours to take away from our sales...so needless to say, all those people were let go after the New Year and all of the "seasoned" crew got a pay cut.
    It's all a numbers game, the main focus is customer service scores and credit aps. You would be better off to stand at the register and do NOTHING else but ring and get a raise, or you can work yourself to death off the register and still get a pay cut.
    That whole system was flawed.
    There are people who are Belk-for-Lifers, but I'm glad I'm not one of them and glad I got out when I did!

• Kw
    KWald921 May 10, 2012

Look at the lineage of despair for these employees...YEARS worth. Greed is what the Belk's run on, with no regard for who brings in their money. The laughing part is that they want to be the Employer of Choice...Never going to happen, Their failure to treat employees like human beings, with respect and kindness will bite them in the end. They will only get employees who reflect their own philosophy;.they will not care about the stores, the job, or the customers. It's already happening as the ones who cared leave in disgust, and under the duress of the ill treatment, poor working conditions, character assassination, and the direct result of the stress taking a toll on them physically.
    The "boys" were handed the company by John Belk Sr. who believed in his associates.so when you get something for nothing like a spoiled child, one tends not to take care of it, , , , which is what has happened. God will get them. How dare they profess any Christianity, and then run a company this way! Makes me sick to have to work there, , , , , , , , , literally sick.

• Mo
    Moonpoo Apr 16, 2012

Worst place to work!

• Mo
    Moonpoo Apr 16, 2012

This is absolutely not a good company to work for every employee even in a different state says the same thing. This company has horrible and a very unprofessional management team.

• Le
    leavingtennessee Jan 08, 2012

Belks in Jonson City TN has HORRIBLE ccustomer service. Bought Estee Lauder perfume and the ditz ( a 19 yr old) had no clue to tell me it was a "pre-sell" and that after paying CASH I would not be allowed to take my purchase home since I wasnt using a credit card. LOL!!!
    Belks has alot to learn. What sheer idiocy in management. I will never shop at that store again and have told my neigbors as well. Worst customer service I have ever heard of. DO NOT shop at tacky Belks.

• Us
    uscgmckfan2 Sep 03, 2011

Does anyone have the number to call and complain I work Belk and the Store Manager is terrible!!! She is rude, and very ugly to her employee's except for one she has singled out and this person changes her shedule just so she can close with the manager when she is closing!!! Strange huh

• Ex
    Ex-Employee011001 Feb 28, 2011

I worked at belk for 6 months. Worked in Fine Jewelry Dept making 9/hour. However I was only alloud to work 32-34 hours a week. Which was fine. I enjoyed the working at belk and selling products. I had no problem with going to work everyday.

However, I routinely had to work more than 6 hours before I could take a lunch. Rarely received breaks.

Credit apps are REQUIRED at belk. You have to get them regardless. Lets put this out here in the open. Belk credit cards have a 28% interest rate. Got that? you screw up and you'll pay more than you saved and then some... SECONDLY if you have department cards... YOU SCREW YOUR CREDIT UP!!! do not get them. This does not matter if you pay on it or not you will lower your score... PERIOD! Do not apply, cancel it if you have it.

Now back to the job, you have to get this apps... I personally worked the SLOWEST dept. Who in a horrible economy will pay a 1000% markup on jewelry... dumb ones... we say it's "FINE" so you buy it. Lets break it down for you. IF you buy jewelry wait until Black fridy. They tend to have the deepest discounts. Secondly Buy from clearance when it's 65 to 75% off. Don't bother until that point...

As for the service plan... buy it... period... we made commision 10% on those ... however some jewelry needs the repairs more than others so save yourself the time and money... get it. OR don't buy anything and save more money.

Credit apps are one thing, it's another if your store can barely get them... yet they write people up for not getting them... I'm proud of my area ... refuses to get apps, you make me happy!

Managers are flipping stupid. The store manager was young... if the employee was an attractive young girl... you could do anything. To everyone else you are on his sh*t list. Don't mind his wife working either, she turns a blind eye.

Other employee's at the location would do anything other than their job... like men in the shoe room...wow you both disapeared for 35 mins... wow and came out with a different outfit on... wait what?!?!? Seriously that wasn't obvious.

Regional manager was nice but a bit**... once you screwed up it was on. I felt bad for the girls that got knocked up and had to deal with her.

We had one nice supervisor ... she was great. Down to earth and didn't shi* on you like others.

The nicest but stay clear if she's mad was HR. NEVER had an issue with her.

As for the work schedules don't plan on having a life they change constanly.

Umm I could keep going but I'm bored of ranting... have fun!

DO NOT APPLY TO WORK AT BELK!!!

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING AT BELK UNLESS IT IS CLEARANCE!!!

DO NOT GET A BELK CARD!!!