Belk Department Storeemployees are treated badly

I have worked for belk in florence, south carolina for two years and they just terminated me because of lateness. I really think it was unfair because of the fact that I a sick grandmother and I had to tend to her before I go to work because she was in and out of the hospital. The reason why it was unfair because I would call a manager to tell them that iwould be running a little late because of my grandmothers medical condition. I am going to honest yes they have warn me a couple of times but I was thinking if I call and told a manager it would been okay by them but unfortnately it wasn't. Also the human resource manager was very unprofessional about the situation he just told me how many days I missed and told me to just go ahead and sign the paper. He didn't inform me at all that I was being terminated which wasn't right at all. Also belk had a policy when if you don't get an amount of credit applications each week that they would also enforce of getting rid of associates who couldn't succeed in getting applications. I also thought this was outrageous because of the economy and the bail - out many people at this point do not want to be in credit card debt!!! I am just writing this complaint because I enjoyed working at belk but it had too many strict rules that just didn't make sense. I was a diligent, dependable worker and I was ways willing to sacrifice to help the company when they had no one in the shoe department. They would call me on my days off to come in and I always made a way to get their and still when my grandmother was sick I still went in because I didn't want to leave any of my associates out. I always should up late or not late I was there and I was one of their good workers. I just hope this situation doesn't happen to someone else. To whom ever reading my story thanks for taking your time out to read this. I am going to call the belk excel line also about this matter!!!

• As
    Ashley Nov 06, 2008

I have been working with the Belk in Gaffney, South Carolina for 3 years in the shoe department. I too come in on days off when they need me to work, and work extra hours when other associates call out. I've only called out 3 times, once because I was sick and the others were to take my dad to the hospital because he has medical problems. They DO NOT appreciate their associates at all. Management has a horrible habit of talking about associates like they are dirt, i've even had customers witness a manager yelling at me for nothing and then calling to complain that they are unprofessional. If we do not get credit applications we get written up reguardless of how good our job performance is. I work hard, cleaning, being hospitable, unloading my own merchandise, putting out my own merchandise, setting my own sells, and registering brides, but I never get a "thank you" or a "good job". I had a manager call me a liar and stupid once, not to mention our freight manager harasses and slanders other associates. It is very hard working in such an environment. I love my job, but I do not like the management team at all. They are rude, unprofessional, and uncaring for others' feelings and concerns. For anyone who is reading this, you are much better off never even considering to work for this company.

• Em
    Employee Feb 16, 2009

Same thing are happning in Traingle Town Center in Hudsen Belk. I have been working there since 2005. I have no custer complain so far. Right now they doing raceist thing at that store. they like only white people and they don't care about all others. I am continuse complain about that to our manager but they don't care any more for forigner employees. So Richard Hudsen, Tony Brittly they not doing there job very well they need to fire right away. Belk polocy is equal opprtunity to all employee but they are not folloing that.they are so many things going on some one need to check and lesion to all emplyees.

• Bl
    blank Mar 05, 2009

I just came across this site randomly as I was doing research for a paper I am doing on Belk, and I just want to say that I feel your pain. I worked at the Belk in Asheville, NC and the one in Sumter, SC and the employees at both stores were treated horribly. The management would talk badly about other employees and favor those they were friends with. If you were friends with a manager you could get away with anything, but if they didn't like you then you would get stuck with the worst shifts and the worst tasks. The credit applications requirements were ridiculous if I didn't get them I was constantly threatened that it would look badly on my review and that I could possibly be fired. When I told the manager that I wouldn't pressure a customer once they told me No, she said that I need to annoy the customer if need be. When I worked there however, they did pay well, but it wasn't worth it to keep me there.

belk_ombudsman Mar 10, 2009

management treats you the way corporate treats them. very little praise and lots of criticism. you are never a 95% good employee... you are a 5% bad employee! this comes from the top. the manager parrots what he is told, then the asm repeats etc... down the line! NEGATIVISM!
    they emphasize 'execution' of the plan. their plan! they make the expectations and the store personnel is supposed to do it. duh! we just had an economic meltdown! if they were so smart, why'd they order so much merchandise. the customer sees it, and waits til we give it away at pennies on the dollar.
    a few of those execs should come to work a week in a store: 12+ hour/days for management and covering 2 departments for an associate. and then have to push credit on people with no job so that the Belks can get 12 bucks/ credit application from GE. put out the freight, fold the stuff, vaccum the floor and then get your pay cut because you didn't ring up enough merchandise. who did? it's the economy, stupid!

None May 08, 2009

I work for Belk in Ocala, Florida and I completely agree with all the complaints above. I am sure these issues and many other ones are happening in all Belk stores and it is not going to change in a good way. It is going to get worse. I have worked for them many years so I can tell I have experienced my self.

• Fi
    FiredfromBelk May 15, 2009

After 13 years with this company I was fired today for not meeting my credit goal expectations. I needed 6 by the end of last month...I got 4. I was 1 for 46 I needed to be at 1 for 40 ...the funny part is this week alone I opened 3 more...one TODAY!! That is the ONLY reason I was given for being terminated...I didn't improve my SOLICITATION rate...Go figure.
    The attendance thing is a bunch of bull crap. You could hire an attorney to pull the attendance records and punches (for those NEVER written up) and probably sue them. The problem is they are not constant. I know that ppl at are store are still there ever though they didn't meet their goals!!!

so fedup Jul 05, 2009

After several years of working retail, I can honestly say Belk is the worst company in retail today to work for.Recently in my store the managers have resorted to sending, attractive young women out into the mall, to approach young black males. They have been told to be flirtatious and ask the guys to help them make their credit goals.One young lady spoke up and said she would not be pimped out. After several calls to the excel line I am convinced it is fruitless. This company simply does not care! We are all replaceable. Our store use to be a GREAT! place to work before Belk took over. They portrayed themselves as this fantastic Christian company. Well they are not . The bible warns of wolves in sheeps clothing. They have managed to ruin the morale in the store. The Parisian solgan of You're Somebody Special, Has been replaced with you're nobody we can't replace.But remember the wicked shall have their place in the lake of fire.

belk.aka.hell Jul 09, 2009

I completely agree with everything here. I work at Belk and my boss is threatening to "make me" turn in my two weeks because I have requested off for vacation. He claims that it was during a posted "black-out" date that I didn't even know about until five days ago. I requested off three months ago and booked my trip before I was told anything. And the credit solicitation requirement is ridiculous! I am constantly called into his office because I don't meet my 1 for 20 requirement every week. Honestly, I don't think they can legally fire anyone over not meeting credit solicitation goals. You might check the laws on that. I can't wait to find another job.

• Em
    ember39 Jul 12, 2009

I know that as a former customer I was constantly asked about the credit card application and finally I stupidly signed up. The credit cards are handled by GM Money Bank which is one of the worst banks in the country. I personally consider them the most unethical back ever. GM Money Bank has a history of lowering customer's credit limit and delay notification of this fact so that they can charge over draft fees. They lowered mine to my credit limit and then sent me a letter two months later telling me this. At the time I was stupidly using electronic notification of my account. I will never purchase anything from Belk again.

Marcie Jul 29, 2009

Belk is far from Parisian in many ways! They don't even compare they are just lucky that SAKS was in financial burden and needed to release debt...and that was Parisian! Anyway, I still would love to hear from others who have been fired from Belk due to ic's. I would love to get others together for a possible class action lawsuit! Why not?!?! The reason because I know for a FACT that others are STILL at various stores including mine and are still at over 1 for 90. They are picking a choosing who they fire and it is not fair. They are going after those who are paid more and who do not take their ###! Well anyway, I miss the Parisian days to "You're Somebody Special" will be gone forever! Keep posting wherever and whenever you can to keep the search level high!!!

watchdog over management Aug 12, 2009

hi folks. I just found this site on the internet. anyone who has worked for Belk will know these stories are true. The credit thing is ridiculous. EEO. Being white I feel I can comment on this. I have observed Belk allowing older white 'Christian' female ordering blacks to do drudge work so she can get credit for sales, etc while their sales performance suffers. i certainly took issue with this along with the 'friendly' association of the older male assistant manager and this 'Christian' woman (saw him stroking her back in the stockroom from behind while talking in her ear). where? North carolina. when? 2009. This Christian thing in the department store is being used to crucify hard working people. when you know you aren't the only one, makes a difference. I have much experience with labor relations and abusive management practices. Many times it is just a 'rambo' manager trying to get a bigger bonus at the expense of the employees. but Belk does need to step in, unless they support it.

Folks you aren't alone. East of Raleigh, NC.

watchdog over management Aug 12, 2009

try this. someone mentioned a class action lawsuit. a complaint was filed against the rocky mount, nc Belk store in August 2008 with the Federal EEO (EQual employment opportunity commission) on the grounds of sex/gender, age, and retaliation for reporting unfair practices regarding equal pay for equal work.

if you lose the job, don't sign anything (probably too late for many of you). even if you sign, still file for unemployment as you can potentially win if you were in a hostile work environment. next, go back over what happened, what was said and done, and any inequities. you may just have a litigating vehicle that will allow you to file an EEO complaint with the federal government. keep this in mind. you file the complaint, it is looked into-- you may even be told it can't win... however, you still have a right to file your complaint in US district court once your case has been either accepted or rejected by the EEO commission. and folks, once you file the complaint you might be able to get some others to participate.

management bullies? got one going to face the music shortly--thought they had easy prey, but I used to be heavily involved in labor relations... they won't get off easy.

watchdog over management Aug 12, 2009

sorry. the recent eeo complaint was filed in august 2009. win, lose, or rejected, can still file in federal district court when the timelines approach. *this worked in winning an unbelievable case last year for a former state employee.

Jane2009 Aug 24, 2009

I worked for Belk in several locations, in several postions (assoc and mgt) and they ALL suck! What you said about the days of Parisian is true, as it is about McRaes. Belk got too damn big for its britches! They are not consistent when they cut pay for "performance" or when they write up associates for not making credit goals. Some stores do it, some don't. Basically, it depends on what store you're in as to what policies you have to follow. I know how you feel about being fed that line of "a Chrisian based company..." It ain't true!

• Go
    goodoledays Aug 26, 2009

to all of you belk employees... i have worked at belk for 15 yrs and i know how you feel. and if anyone from higher up is actually reading these please listen and do something about management. in the olden days the belks came around to all the stores and took management surveys. the employees told what they thought and there was always action taken. i think the surveys need to come back into effect. it would make for much happier employees. and as for the credit apps. i think its bull ###. i get sent to a table if i don't get my goal when i could be getting my sales goal. and my fellow shoe department employees hog the registers. i do all the ### work and they steal all my sales. and my management does nothing about it and gives them praise for my hard work. is this fair? i don't think so. so farewell to all and lets stick together and hang in there. someday there will be good management. this has to happen or belks will go under

S. A. L. Aug 27, 2009

I've only been working for Belk for about 6 months and I'm already at the end of my rope. My ASM is ridiculously unqualified for her job position. She's constantly having me do her dirty work while she stands at my register stealing my sales and credit applications(ringing them up under her number). She'll have me in the back of the women's departments cleaning up clearance zones or doing moves she's been asked to do while she's acting like a bird dog in the cosmetics department stealing the center core sales and credits. She has even been giving away the free gifts to customers who open cards that are still being used as GWP. She's constantly talking down about management and her other associates to her employees. She's always wasting the time she's suppose to be working by flirting with our male associates, gabbing it up with the cosmetics girls, on the phone with her husband or just dancing around in the middle of the store. She has her associates do her projects for her and then takes credit for them. She sets sales wrong and then blames her associates when she gets asked about us having to over-ride prices for customers. She's got at least one major family tragedy happening a month (death, major hospitilization, etc.) and is constantly demanding time off for these events. She's a flat out ### to the majority of our customers, being short and rude with them when they call to ask about anything and making a scene when people need assistance at the register. Our CSS score is steadily dropping and she just keeps mistreating people and telling us at morning rallys that we really need to focus on treating customers properly. I've personally had to go behind her 4 or 5 times this week alone and mediate customer complaints about her.

I've talked to my store manager about her behavior and the only difference I can tell is that she's started treating me even worse, which leads me to think he told her that I complained to him. I'll be putting in my two weeks notice soon because it's not worth the time and energy to work in such a hostile work environment.

Jane2009 Aug 28, 2009

As I said before, working for Belk sucks. But, as a former manager, I know that there are terrible, unethical SM, MC, ASM, etc, but some of you should get facts straight before you begin bashing the store team. S.A.L., managers do not have a personal sales and credit goals, so it would do her no good to "steal" your sales. "Stealing" credit- couple of bucks so whatever. The root of the problem is not the store mgt, but the ideas and policies forced on them by upper mgt, during the 577, 000 conference calls each week. I think things would run much smoother if Tim, Johnny, and McKay spent the $$$ where it belongs- in the store, on the associates and the mgt staff. Stop cutting associates pay! It's just bad business. Enough with the harsh credit consequenses. Stop walking away every year worried about the bottom line, because the bottom line is, with an unhappy store team, you have unhappy (or no) customers, and no reason to unlock the doors.

• Ar
    arnolda Sep 01, 2009

Good God I thought it was just me. I have worked for Belk for 10 years and have watched it go from a genuine pleasure to work at to feeling like I was sold into slavery. Sales goals that are out of reach slanted for us to fail= no pay raise for many. Credit goals too high for the economic climate. Managers, at least at my store, that have no real knowledge of the job, constantly asking me for help. And to make it even more fun, the girl I work under has a drinking problem and routinely comes to work still drunk and sleeps it off in the stock room. This mind you with the full knowledge of management, who actually once asked me to "take care of her". I am serious. Had to step over her to get to some merchandise. They have padlocked the employee bathrooms telling us that we will keep the public restrooms clean if we have to use them. It was never my job to clean a bathroom. They have rationed bags to the point I suspect we'll be asking the customer to bring their own. Loss prevention spends more time trying to fire employees then worrying about the nice little old lady robbing them blind. I had a LP manager arrest a guy not a foot away from me and came to learn the man had razor blades on him. I was put in harms way for what????I hate this place and every thing about it.

• He
    Here is my opinion Sep 08, 2009

I absolutely agree with all the postings above. I have been at the Belk store in Cumming, GA for almost 3 months and have never been talked to or treated by any management like these people routinely do. There was absolutely no management guidance given to me when I started, but when something was not done, that I was not told about, I was scolded by the store manager, told to "FIX IT" as she clapped her hands like I was the family pet. When you ask a question you are answered like you are bothering them and they shouldn't have to take the time to explain this to you ( gosh, thought that was the point of being a manager). I have been in many customer service positions in my life time and truly have never witnessed a company getting away with this kind of behavior. I was in a morning meeting where the store manager said that if we hadn't gotten our time card information into her by 8:00 that morning we were not going to be paid. It was 9:45 when she gave us that good news. When I asked when we would be paid for the time, she shrugged her shoulders. Really, I always thought not paying employees for time worked was against the law. Where is the labor board when you need them? How can you give an employee a review based on the number of credits they get when it is totally out of your control as to the decision a customer makes on wanting credit. I hope some one does sue them...couldn't happen to a more deserving bunch of people. HORRIBLE PLACE TO WORK.

• Si
    Sick+Tired Sep 09, 2009

I agree 100%. Belk is terrible. I'm a college student, and I've been working as a sales associate for a year and a couple of months. I really liked my job in the beginning. Then things got ugly. The first time I was asked to unload freight I was quite shocked (we had three people working in the stock/receiving room at the time). I had no idea that was in the job description, but of course...it wasn't. I did it anyway (today I realize no one does their job in the stock room because the employees there seem to either always be sick or hung-over). Then I was asked to display and hang signs (this wasn't in the job description either). After the first few months I found myself constantly cleaning (even though we have a janitor), displaying signs (I’m constantly on a latter, and that’s why the other employees tease me and call me “Spiderman”), and unloading freight that's placed in the department I work in (right in the middle of the floor in the way of customers, and those cardboard boxes are also an eyesore to see). Near the end of my first year my managers became disappointed in me for not making my sales and credit goals. I knew why...it was because I was rarely in a position to assist any customer while I was cleaning, displaying signs, and opening up tall stacks of stock room freight. Nevertheless, I am under paid, over worked, and unhappy. I thought managers were terrible, and then I met the regional managers. The regional managers were awfully rude and intimating. When they make their “surprise visits” they are very unhelpful, they constantly criticize the store, and they never teach us anything useful. They write out a list of things that need to be changed, but they don’t tell us why. When they show up again the same thing happens over and over again. It’s never perfect enough for them. College is stressful enough, but to deal with the insanity of that place…it’s depressing.

• El
    el girl Oct 10, 2009

Moving from the North to the South is like "another world". I've worked at Belk, almost 3 yrs. now in Ga. I am appauled at the leadership in our store. Our stock room guy is sexually harassing & the HR girl who is in her 20's gets away with screaming at the top of her lungs & cussing if she's questioned about anything. I work on comission & haven't been paid for 2 mo. After inquiring about this to our HR girl, I was verbally abussed & screamed at. When she "Mikki" worked on the floor, she was the same way..big mouthed, confrontassional & once threw a hanger pole at a womans feet. I can't believe they didn't fire her. Maybe putting her in payrole & HR was they're way of getting her off the floor. Her friend who worked in mens...same thing. She's had numerous outbursts at customers, once called a customer a "Heffer", threatened to fight them...obviously they haven't been raised to respect others & have no boundaries. The fact that management has their favorites & nothing can touch them is true. This store is definately the devils playground & you'd better be strong & ready for the fight if you seek employment from Belk.

• It
    it starts with a... Mar 14, 2010

I have been working for Belks in Hickory, NC for a few months now and I was hired as 'seasonal help' I had zero intention of stay at all. When I first started all I did was fold sweaters for 6 to 8 hours straight! Then as time went on I got to know the people I worked with. I was in two departments alot, Better Sportswear and Moderate Sportswear (women). The girls down in Better were rude, snobby, and did not want to show me how to do anything but clean up after people, which I do understand that is part of the job but damn let me do something else for a while. This one certain female would trick people into opening a card, this is what she would do/say. Example, lets say today was an extra 15% off with your card, well we all know that its 15% off (most of the time) to open the card. Well she would give them pretty much 30% off, the 15% off shopping pass, and the free gift wheather it be a water bottle, clinque samples, a free bag, whatever to EACH person who was with them, like if it was a two friends, both got the free gifts! Tell me that someone is not noticing this besides me!!

Then when I worked in Moderate, this other certain person would just drive me batty! She would never and I mean never check the fitting room, take anything back to other departments, clean clearance up, nothing but ring sales all damn day long. Sundays were the worst if it was just me and her, I would get MAYBE $300 in sales while she sat back and had almost always $1000 more than me every time. How fair is that to me, none. I told the ASM about her and all she says is she has always been like that and somethings will never change. Well damn get a grip on her ###, scare her, do something so that I can get sales and have some peace of mind. Even when I would have my lunch hour she would sign off on them but there would be piles of clothes in there and the carts would be full (we had two) I was always stuck doing the ### while she never did anything at all.

My ASM would never let me do any of the floor ready either, I would work every single Sunday, Friday, and Saturday and those were the only hours I got too. Once when I requested for a day off (mine and my fiances 5 year ann.) I did not get it off, as a matter of fact the lazy one above got it off. I sent her the request for 5 weeks ahead of time too, she said that I did not send it in in enough time. I said the paper says 3 weeks on here, I turned it in at 5. She told me oh well pretty much because they do the schedules so far in advance that she cannot change it, which I personally think is pure horse ### too. I was to come in at 9:45 that day and off at 6. My fiance is in school an hour away so its not like we would have had time to go out or anything if I did go up there.

However I got moved to another department because they did some changes and I have a new ASM which I do like better, however it is still Belks. I am glad I got her for a new ASM because I had to update my health insurance and they only gave me a weeks notice for an appt. and they would not, could not, no way, no how, change it. So I freaked out and called her immediatley to ask her about the schedules for that certain day. She said don't worry about it I will make sure you get there. I was like... really? So that tells me the other one is full of nothing but hate or something of that nature.

I really do hate the credit card rules its the most stupid thing I have ever heard of. It should not be a requirement at all, maybe encouragement but not to be made to do it. I mean people do not have jobs, some have no house, no car or anything but some how they either don't see it or don't care. Im better the second one. I as of this month am behind by 3 weeks and honestly do not give a f--- about it if they do want to fire me, I will draw papers and try to sue. I have a 1 for 27 ratio for the cards, which is better from last month, it was 1 for 38 I think. I just really am against it and think that the main man should get off his high horse and re-think this situation.

Yes I had alot to say but appreciate those who read this and who will comment on it.

• Sh
    Sheila Spahr Mar 16, 2010

I agree with you 100% This companies policy is based on the fact that North Carolina is an (At Will) state. Which means that a company can fire you for any reason they see fit. They can not discriminate but if your sales are too low because your cleaning up after a lazy a__ then you can be fired, If your credit goal isn't met because the economy has faltered, you can be fired. Whatever you do, if the Human Resources manager calls you in to threaten you for not making goal and or if he/she fires you then they will ask you to sign something agreeing that you did not make goal or that you have been terminated. DON'T SIGN ANYTHING. If they say you have to sign it, then get up and leave their office. Clock out and go to the nearest department store and apply for another position at that store. Other department stores love to hire the competitions help!

I worked for Belk for two and half years. I started in Fine Jewery. I had excelent sales and my manager asked me if I was a corporate spy because she thought I had picked up everything too quickly because I had no prior experience. What? I just educated myself about the Jewelry because no one else would help me. This manager left within two months and another associate who had been bad mouthing this manager to the Regional finally got the managment position. This girl operates by making others look bad so that she looks better. This girl also hated me because she saw me as competition. She wasn't that pretty, short and it's not my fault that I am taller and care about what I look like and the customers would see me first so they would come to me. This girl also asked me to ring up a $2500. ring for her and then informed me that she was going to have her husband return it to another store along his Entemanns pastry route and she did it so the department could make goal. She would get an extra $100. and the other associates would get $50. I told her that I didn't like this because $50. wasn't worth getting fired over. I asked her to reverse the sale and she refused. So I went to the HR manager of the store, told him what happened and asked to move to another department. This manager had bad mouthed me so much to the Regional that the Regional Brenda Sasser would not even call me back or answer any of my e-mails. The manager of the department just moved to another store in South Carolina because her husband was transfered. Hopefully she will get caught and fired in South Carolina.

After I left the FJ Department I worked as a store float for the HR manager. I liked this because I wasn't in the same place all of the time and was able to learn the store. During this time the office manager, screwed up my insurance, allowed it to be cancelled, still deducted from my pay check when I didn't have the insurance, Supposedly reinstated me and tripple charged me three times to catch up. This happened in November and December of 2008. I still have not been reimbursed. I also took a pay cut from 10.00 to 8.23 because I hadn't sold $233. per hour when I did work. Earlier this year when doing taxes I discovered the office manager had quit taking Federal income tax from my pay back in Nov. of 2008. I made enough money on several paychecks to have it deducted. I have been in touch with Corporate and I keep being told we will look into it and get back with you. Never hear back from them. Well this company is so used to hiring the young and dumb that they didn't realize that I actually utilized the Prople Soft site and printed out my paychecks and productivity reports. All of my productivity reports show that I earned over $10.00 even though my HR Manager told me that didn't matter what was on the PR's. I took the pay cut because I told him that I was only their for the discount anyway. Just before Christmas last year another HR Manager took my formers HR managers position and I was swept under a rug. I wasn't offered hours for three pay periods which isn't unusual and just before the end of the year the office manager changed my status to Temporary and terminated me. The only way I found out was by keeping an eye on my People Soft information. So this is my experience and I have a strong legal case with this company on several fronts. They have stolen money from me and have contradicted them selves and not to mention all of the abuse I received from other associates. One nasty nasty person I worked with in the Lingery department actually thought I would give her my sales because I was a float. She told me that the floats sales didn't matter and I refused to give her my sales. She threw a fit and screamed at me continually until I walked out of the department. Then she told others in the store that working beside me was like standing beside the gates of hell. This woman has been their for over 25 years and from what I have been told pulls the race card when ever she sees fit. The Belk founder may have had good intentions but the policies created (At Will termination) was probably created from the Belk company because of the political pull from the fact that Mr. Belk was the Mayor of Charlotte for years.

• Fe
    fedup_8345 Apr 05, 2010

I currently work at Belk, I just put in my two weeks notice. Yes, I know we're in a recession, but I'm fed up with the company all together. I've never seen a company treat their employees so horrible. These people only care about one thing and it their CREDIT CARD. I've been an associate since the Parisian days, and boy do I miss it. This company isn't consistent with their promotions, I've been trying to advance with them for the past few years and I'm still on the sales floor. No one in management never seems to know anything about anything, that includes the store managers. They really need to get it together! They are so stupid complaining about how the customer service scores are dropping, when in all honesty they are firing everyone. My store alone let go of 15 positions a couple months ago. Everyone that has worked for them know about the morning meetings where the management team pretends to love what they're doing, when in reality that they have theri ### dug into on a daily basis. I do think they are a very racist company, they don't give two cents about the people that drives their business, and the way they run their facilities is CRAP! Maybe when more and more of their stores start closing due to lack of traffic they will finally get it through their small brains, that when you do dirt to others nothing good will come to you. Treat you're employees like human beings, stop overloading your sales floor with that cheap crap, and running your workers into the ground. You guys really are losing some of your top notch associates by being such buttholes. Case in point that's why I'm leaving, I'm tired of it all, and yes I am one of the top sellers in the company. Better luck next time!

Belk Union Organizers Apr 06, 2010

the credit card policy should be illegal. purposely getting people to fill out applications when you know they don't need them or won't qualify. a numbers game, and apparently the finance fees are a major source of income for belk. at will state (nc)?? might be true, but there are still legal protections for employees thru state and federal employment laws. yes, they can fire you, but you can on your own or thru an attorney file your complaint thru the system--and people do win. there are several ongoing cases right now against Belk management. one of those cases is asking around $800, 000 in actual an punitive damages as a result of conspired actions by managers and employees. with all these cases you need your own 'proof' and then some circumstantial. Belk HR will blow smoke that you don't stand a chance of winning.. but take this to the bank: you do have a chance of winning--Belk will be penalized and you will be compensated, only then will they change. PeopleSoft reports? great print them, keep them. Eventually Belk will get rid of the jerks who are in management doing this (for their own gain) at the expense of Belks reputation. I am hearing from one individual having the $800, 000 claim against Belk and will report back on the status. Can tell you this: the federal Equal Employment Opportunity Commission at first balked on the case and then proceeded to file the complaint against Belks after seeing the documented evidence in addition to verbal testimony. The print information sealed the deal. Is Belk headquarters at fault? maybe not, but they are still responsible when store managers, assistant managers, and other employees take away your livelihood. Belks is trying to bluff on the one case but will suffer greater once the final outcome is posted on Pacer.com (the federal government's court system online)--for others to use as case precedent.

• Ti
    Tired & Unappreciated Apr 26, 2010

Yes working for Belk does sucks! I have been working or should I say slaving for Belk for almost five years. I really don't get this place. Are all Belk a hell hole! It seem the more you work your butt off and do your job and OTHERS job the more you are unappreciated and the less tou get paid. I'm so fed up! Management are some of the laziest people I have ever seen and don't know nothing and they are also racist and show favoritism to certain people, these employees get paid all the money! I am what you you called multi talented. I started off in the shoe department and then move to the pricing team. I work the pricing team and when the H R lady off I work the office doing the deposit and etc. But before I do the office work I have to unload a damn truck, which ia killing my back. Now I have to work in receiving because they are short a person cause they were fired. I do too much, and all they want to pay me is $7.72! There are some young white girls that I havnt been at Belk longre then me getting paid $11.00 and 12.00. I really don't get it! I question the manager about it and she said she has nothing to do with raises. She said she have to talk to her boss to see if she can get me some more money because I am a good worker. Well that was a month ago I guess she think I'm go to just forget about it! She is a racist and but she say she is a Christian sounds like a hypocrite to me. Belk is not a place for me if things keep going the way its going they will be getting my TWO WEEKS NOTICE! They have taking advantage of me enough. I can complain about Belk all day because I have so much to say about the crazy demonic place. Belk is NOT the place to work!

• Ti
    Tired & Unappreciated Apr 27, 2010

It's really a relief to know that I am not the only one that hates working at Belk. Yes I should be thankful for having a job, but I can only take so much. I'm on the verge of just throwing in the towel and leaving this place to go back to school. It seems the more you do your job as well as OTHERS the less you are unappreciated. There are some of the laziest employees including management here, they do nothing and they don't know anything! I've been working for Belk or should I say slaving for Belk for almost five years. I started off working in the shoe department, then I was tricked into moving to the pricing which was a big mistake. Also I work in the office doing the deposit and etc. I also have to unload a damn truck which is killing my back. Now I'm some how working in receiving, processing freight because somebody was fired. They are to cheap to hire someone else so they want to use me, and all they want to pay me is $7.72! I was making minimum wage $7.25. Some raise I got! I am very unappreciated and I'm tired! The manager says she has nothing to do with raises and pay so how can you bring in someone making $11 an hour, is it because she has a degree. Well I also have a degree. Its really because she's white and she knows her family that's how it works around here. Some of these people are racist and evil! They have these young white girls that is getting paid $11 and $12 an hour and all they do is gossip and talk their friends! Belk is not a Christian place, more like a hell hole. I'm sick of this whole place. I sick of hearing about credit applications, presells, employees always calling in so they can go to the beach or whatever, lazy people that can't put out freight, the messiness and a lot of more stuff. My advice to anyone planning or thinking about working at Belk...don't do it unless you don't mind being treated like trash or a PEON!

• St
    Stefanie G Jun 14, 2010

I work for the company for a long year, I always was on time, never missed work, always met my goal. I work in Tulsa, Ok. I was harrassed by ASM, had to listen to her sex stories, she was always making up stories, very un-quilfied for job. . Why is she allowed to harrass employees this way? Why did the store manager and Corp, Office not put a stop to.? unknown

• Me
    megan1977 Jul 09, 2010

I agree that Belk is a horrible place to work. I worked for belk for many many years and know first hand how the employees are treated. Never again would I work for a company who only cares about making that $$ instead of their employees feelings.

• Fo
    FOUND A BETTER JOB Jul 11, 2010

OH WOW!!!I did not know such a site existed.I was asked to resign from Belk after 15 years of service because of so called not being nice to the main boss man!He was a [censor] that worked for the company only a month. I knew more about the company than he did!!They BELK only cared about the bottom line.I was top in sales and credit apps.I was an ASM over the hardest depts.I look back over the last ten years and thank God they did me a favor.But then no I did'nt think that way.They kept store managers that sexually harrasses you.Tell you obscene jokes and THEN PROMOTE THEM OR move them to a different store!I should have taken them to court .His word against mine.I wonder sometimes did Tim Belk know I was let go?I was on top of it and they just [censor] on me!!!I hope you folks do get what is good for you ansd find another place to work!!!

• Ba
    Barbara James Jul 30, 2010

I completely agree. This is a very unprofessional place to work. It has gotten worse in the last 2 years. The employees are not valued or paid sufficiently for what they do. No matter how good you are, they will find something or create it to take more salary away. This should be illegal. Then the Belk brothers have the nerve to put in the newspaper the millions that they make. The associates freeze in the winter and roast in the summer. We don't even have the proper supplies to do our job. Our store manager thinks that if you are not living out of your car, then you are making too much money. This is a very low class family and store. This is beginning to be well known throughout the community.

SOUTHERN BELLE Aug 04, 2010

Alrighty then! People, people, people: when will you understand the the new culture in BELK, is all about GREED, and the pompous kids running the show>?? Discrimination in pay, overworked employees, unstable environmental issues, harassment, wage discrimination, and a general distain for their employees, that they feel are all expendable. They do not have the class or integrity to run a fair and equitable work environment. I think they train ASM's at intimidation school, and the HR department is not longer an "H" just an "R".( no Human factor)
    Perhaps it is time folks to seriously think UNION. All the complaints on this forum would be dealt with with a UNION in place. They just could NOT get away with it! I know, I know, some of you are UNION phobic, but at least you would have representation against management! With a contract in place, the BELK boys would not get away with this crap.
    May I also suggest that you pass the link to this site around to those that have had it...let them vent! The more the merrier. Keep in mind, that in addition to voicing your opinion here, that there is the EEOC/ for workplace discrimination, OSHA, for workplace hazzards and environmental things that are harmful to the employee.
    Then you have your local news "investigative reporters" from TV...give them an earful!
    Write a letter to the editor of the newspaper! Get a hold of the State Attorney General's office, , , , Call your Congreesional rep!
    The last thing that the Belk boys need is bad press. I know John Senior is rolling in his grave. The whole scenario is outrageous... but one by one there can be no effective change. It will take a combined effort and it is time that all of you think along those lines.
    The nexdt time a situation arises, call a TV channel...have a walk out...protest... put up or shut up...It's difficult, but that is what it will take to shed light on the darkness that prevails within the Belk organization. BTW, do YOU have a Belk card?????

SOUTHERN BELLE Aug 04, 2010

By the way, the next time you have to solicit a Belk CARD...TELL THE CUSTOMER YOUR JOB IS AT STAKE!!! Then watch the look on their faces! Perhaps they will get outraged enough to complain about it!

SOUTHERN BELLE Aug 05, 2010

Having a job is indeed something to be thankful for, ( to God not Belk) but we are called to expose the darkness and bring it into the light. Passive acceptance of wrong doing only aides and abets MORE wrong doing! Touting themselves as a Christain company only mocks GOD in the process. Remember Jesus got a little "miffed" at the money changers in the Temple.
    Everyone does not think their job is the worse...a lot of people on this forum have worked other places and have a basis on which to make a comparison. After 35 years of working in other places, or working for Belk prior to the kids takesover, they KNOW, that this company has taken a turn for the worse, by experience, and comparison. For example: you could make more money at Belk in the 1970's than you can now! Credit card solicitation is UNBIBLICAL...calling people into debt?? HELLOOOO. We are called to NOT be in debt and NOT be a lender...so, in this case, CC solicitation may pose a compromise in ones belief system! Mull that one over for a few minutes.

SOUTHERN BELLE Aug 06, 2010

So what you are saying is that I should refuse to solicit credit cards, and then get fired for not doing so? Or tell them it's against my beliefs? Then what... become a welfare recipient and live off other peoples money ? Let's hear your perspective on this. OK so, my free will would be to follow my beliefs and NOT solicit people into debt. Not picking and choosing at all...just stating that THEY tout themselves as a Christian Company, and then fail to follow Biblical rules on many fronts! Look at all the posts. Fair wages? nope, treating employees with respect? Nope, addressing matters of harassment? nope...I could go on, but there are huge examples of not behaving as a Christian at all.
    Not work there? Would love not to! Looking all the time! But so are alot of others. So, I stay to eat. Any other suggestions?

• Je
    jenjen4 Aug 08, 2010

Only a matter of time before there is a lawsuit against Belk and it's employees. It has gotten to the point that employees actually keep Instant Credit applications that are not approved and reuse them 2 to 3 months later just to get their goal in. Sooner or later, one of these unwilling applicants will get tired of getting letters denying them credit, and call an attorney. They only give you permission to use the application once. The thing is, Belk will insist they knew nothing about it. It will be the employee that will get sued, which will in-turn cause Belk to fire you. You can't win.

• Hd
    hdrjar Aug 17, 2010

my wife works for belks and she is ALWAYS dissappointed and upset with the demands put on her and then they cut her pay. She has never been late, always agrees to come in when needed and watches others get praised for "good work" after they hog the register. Some disobey the rules to get their credt apps and my wife will not disobey or even bend the rules. I have tried to get her to quit, but
    she is no quitter. She has been there two years and is constantly a top sales assoc.

• Bs
    BSBEL26 Sep 11, 2010

I also work at the "HELL HOLE' called BELK !!! Pay for Performance...YEAH RIGHT !!! That is BULL _ !!! RIGHT MY FELLOW EMPLOYEES ? The harder you work the less you make!!! I do the cleaning, the stock, taking all those empty boxes to the back. I'm the one who has to find a place to put it all.I am the only full-timer in the Fragrance dept. I have two part-timers that work when they want to. This past Christmas was my third one & there was NO WAY I could have worked any harder. So when it was time for our appraisals guess what...One got a raise, the other ones pay stayed the same(which is 2-3 dollars more per hour than I make) what did I get ?... A DAMN DOLLAR a hour CUT !!! While I was doing the work they were ringing the sales !!! I was so shocked & hurt I was speechless !!! I went back to him later and I said " YOU KNOW THAT I COULD NOT HAVE WORKED ANY HARDER THAN I DID" He said " YOUR RIGHT YOU ARE THE HARDEST WORKING WOMEN I HAVE EVER SEEN IN ALL MY YEARS WITH BELK " So I said " THEN WHY CUT MY PAY " ? He said "BECAUSE YOU WORKED TOO HARD ON STOCK, CLEANING, ETC. AND DID'NT RING ENOUH SALES' ... CAN YOU BELEIVE THAT CROCK OF SH__ !!!

• Do
    Down with belk Oct 08, 2010

My wife works for this company, Each day she gets depressed when she goes to work. She works in an Oklahoma store, buisness is extremely slow, Credit apps have stalled due to everybody has one has been denied for one or doesnt want one. Although she isn't being threatened to be fired I feel something should be done.

She has worked at this store for several years, she has had pay increases, the new manager comes on bored cuts everybodies pay for not meeting sales goals, she is constantly put in a lower performing department because they are short handed but still expected to meet the sales goal of her higher performing department (im guessing this is a tiered system based on what department you work in?) and when questioned "How can I get better, buisness has declined so even if im here I get 3 customers" He has no response. Last night was a time I felt the worst for her. She comes in has 2 customers cleans her area, does frieght that was sitting there for three days and still gets told (I add all employees were told this) that they have to stay past there schedualed shift till the manager is pleased with all departments regardless of the work she did on hers that night.

I have asked her to call the employee line but shes relatively passive and wont do so. But when she gets the "employee of the month" following an immediate pay cut its kind of disrespectfull. Not to mention she has been there three years is is getting paid 3 dollars less an hour than she started at. Which is now minimum wage where we live. This company needs to get there act together and spend money on associate relations, not a new logo...

• Li
    Liz84 Oct 17, 2010

WOW WOW AND WOW...SO I WORKED FOR BELKS IN GEORGIA FOR 6 WEEKS AND WAS HARASSED, TALKED DOWN TOO, AND ALL OF EVERYTHING YOU ALL ARE SAYING.. I WAS ABUSED PHSYCOLOGICALLY, EMOTIONALLY, AND THE MANAGER MADE ME CRY IN HER OFFICE ALL THE TIME AND HAD NO EMOTIONS AT ALL. THEY ARE RUTHLESS AND COULD CARE LESS ABOUT YOU. ALL THEY CARE ABOUT IS STUPID SALES GOALS AND CREDIT APPS. I WAS THE ONLY ONE IN A MEETING WHO SPOKE UP ABOUT HOW I FELT AND I WAS A TARGET FROM THAT POINT ON WHEN THEY ASKED ME FOR MY OPINION. I REALLY WISH BELKS COULD RE VAMP AND THE CEOS WOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT MANAGEMENT ..THEY ARE HORRIBLE ...THEY DISCRIMINATE AND ARE BIAS, AND EVERYONE IS TOO AFRAID TO SAY ANYTHING BECAUSE OF LOSING THEIR JOB..HOW SAD-WITH THE ECONOMY THE WAY IT IS, PEOPLE IN MANAGEMENT ARE BECOMING DICTATORS, ABLE TO DO WHATEVER THEY WANT, FREELY, BECAUSE THEY KNOW PEOPLE NEED JOBS..IT'S ALMOST LIKE THE JEWS AND NAZIS AS TERRIBLE AS IT SOUNDS..IF YOU SAY ANYTHING AGAINST "THEM" YOU WILL BE A TARGET, AND EVEN FORCED TO WALK OUT THE DOOR. THE HOURS ARE NOT FAIT WORKING EVERY SINGLE WEEKEND, AND THEY SAY THERY ARE ABOUT FAMILY, THEY A RENOT. NO ONE CARES ABOUT YOU OR YOUR "FAMILY." I COMPLETELY UNDERSTAND AND I CAN'T BELIEVE HOW BADLY PEOPLE ARE TREATED WITH BELJKS. THEY ARE SO FULL OF IT.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices