Baymont Inn & Suites Salina Kansasextra fraudulent and dishonest charges

T

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with no complaints.
I spoke with the front desk staff ever morning and every evening and received no complaints. After I checked and had left, I discovered an additional charge of 200.00 for smoking in the room.
I did not smoke in the room, in fact the staff saw me and I spoke them each morning around 5 Am when I left the hotel and around 5 to 6 pm when I returned as I went outside to the smoking area to smoke.
I received no notification of any kind from any of the hotel staff.
When I called to discuss it and questioned them, I was told that they had no evidence, meaning no witnesses, no cigarette packs, no cigarettes, tobacco, butts, ashes, stains or burns. When pressed, they informed that me some unknown and/or unknown member of the staff...smelled something. My room was cleaned on 3 different morning and nothing was said. It wasn't until after I left, when I got to the next hotel that I noted the charge on my credit card. I called and spoke wit them twice, but of course the manager was never available.
I believe this hotel targets those who use the smoking area with corp. logo's on their vehicles, as being defenseless, which of course they are as the word of some unknown, unnamed worker getting paid a poverty wage, and a bonus for reporting violations, if they in fact these workers even exist, is more valuable and believable than the word of a good customer.
I travel a lot for business and have done so for over 35 years. I know about hotel regulations and also how some dishonest, unscrupulous owners prey on their own customer base, knowing full well repeats and loyal customers are not important, as there is always another dupe on the way.
Tim Wilkinson