Having problems with Bank of America?

+1 800 432 1000 (English)
+1 800 688 6086 (Spanish)
+1 315 724 4022 (International)
+1 757 677 4701 (Credit Card Issues)
100 N Tryon St.
Fri8:00 AM - 11:00 PM
Sat8:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Sun8:00 AM - 8:00 PM

Complaints & Reviews

bad service/lies/and no one knows what is going on.

In september of 2007 i had to apply for a loan modification, with countrywide because i lost my job was seperated from my husband since feb, 07 & because i had a an ajustable rate mortgage. They told me it would be 15-45 buisness days to get a response, and that i would be called by a "negotiator". when there was a response or if more information was needed. today is April, 15 2008 exactly 7 months since the whole process started i have not spoken to a negotiator, and according to the papers i received in the mail in march of 2008 i had been approved for the loan modification, i was told by several reps from countrywide that i would receive a call from a negotiator for better explanation of the paper work i was signing. (note: i received the paper work 10 days before the deadline.) no one ever called me. i have called countrywide several times where i am transfered to every dept., and left on hold for 1 hour and a half almost every time i call. (i have phone bills to prove it) what made me finally break down is last night i called, talk to 4 diffrent people and all of them had diffrent responses, the last person i spoke to told me "oh in february of 08 you were denied for the loan modification and have to pay 3, 181.00" . she was wrong and after explaining to her that i did receive the paperwork and that i sent it back, she did not have the courtesy to apologize on her mistake.COUNTRYWIDE is rude they have no respect, sympathy, and have no idea what goes on in their own company and i hope to be able to take this compalint to a higher up, so if anyone knows what i can do please let me know how. thank you

• Co
    Countrywide a Fraud Apr 06, 2009

Countrywide should be seized by the Fed before Bank of America takes over. Then they will be able to offer the excuse that they have tons of paperwork to go through before they can help anyone. As the days go on I am beginning to believe that President Obama should have let these scoundrals go belly-up. That would have done the world a favor. Instead, the same crooks are still in charge. They are rude and ruthless. They deny Modifications even before they have the paperwork. I never sent the papers in yet, they are being faxed today, and yesterday I received a denial dated March 25. It's all automated, they don't even wait for the paperwork. I was told I didn't make enough money for the modification. That people is the reason to modify, so that the payment fallsss within paramaters as set up by Obama. Rest in Peace Countrywide.

Took my money!

I have not never hear of these guys until I checked my balance tonight. A check was cashed in my name that has overdraw my account. Wow!! Like it's not hard enough to keep money in the bank in the first place, but they have to go ahead and take what little is there. I just paid my monthly credit card bill too. WT[censored] Not only that but guess who gets charged? I'd rather get kicked in the @#%!

• Wa
    watch your account Aug 08, 2008

Everyone!!!
    Always watch your account. This company is creating bogus electronic checks and sending them to your financial institution. Obviously, they must get paid based on funds collected to the point they are using illegal strategies to get payments. Pay close attention to your account monthly. NEVER, EVER, EVER give them your acount info. Tell them you will send them a money order instead. This is the most crooked company I have ever heard of. They are scary dogs so STAY AWAY!!!1

Unauthorized debit to checking account!

FIA cards services has made an unauthorized debit to my checking account for the amount of $150.00. Who can I contact to file a complaint? Plz advise smb!

• Do
    Donna White Jun 12, 2008

This also happened to me. I had previously authorized deductions from my checking account, so the information was available to them. When I realized the money had been debited, I called them. They said they spoke to my husband and he authorized and they provided the date and time they spoke to him. I knew this was not true and immediately looked at the call detail for the only phone number they had on record for my husband. There was no call that day, in the 3 days before or the 3 days after the date they provided. To be certain I was right, I also checked the only other phone number they could have called. Same thing ... no call. They refused to provide any further proof.

I have a file folder an inch thick on correspondence to and from them on a variety of other issues as well. I ended up settling with them, but regret that I didn't consult with an attorney beforehand.

Countrywide refinancing scam!

As an attorney and a Countrywide customer, I am in complete agreement with all the comments posted, in...

Resolved Questionable business practice

I believe bank of america is manipulating "available balance" on deposit accounts as an unethical...

fradulent billing

I have been with Countrywide for several years with no complaints, until this month when I received my billing statement. It stated my escrow amount was going to increase $25 per month due to increases in taxes and insurance. No problem. Then I noticed the actual payment was increasing almost $70 per month and I couldn't figure out why. After going over and over the paperwork, I realized they were tacking on an additional "reserve requirement" of over $40 to each payment. Looking at the projections of charges for the next year it was only showing the $25 to my escrow and no explaination of how the the remainder was being used. I called Countrywide and the CSR explained to me that the "reserve" was an "insurance policy/cushion" for any unexpected increases in taxes and insurance. When I questioned why I would be charged this amount when I was already being charged an additional $25 for those increases, she had no comment. I asked how the $40 was going to be applied and she told me it was not being applied to anything...they were just going to take my money and hold it in an account! I told her that I would pay the $25 but that I refused to pay the $40 and she needed to forward me to someone that had the authority to remove the charge. She said that wasn't a problem and if I would "hold" she would have the amount taken off my bill. That really raised a red flag to me. If this was a legitimate charge, they would not be so willing to remove it. Within a few minutes, she had the charge removed and my payment would only include the $25 increase. Even though the problem was rectified, I have to wonder if they are doing this to everyone, and how many people wouldn't question it. This charge is not being used for anything other than to draw interest for Countrywide and I can't believe it is a legal practice.

• Tb
    T Bo May 06, 2008

Your story is EXACTLY like mine this past month. Must be across the board for those of us who financed through Countrywide. I called them today and explained that I had never paid this before and I know that it is "allowed" but not a "requirement". So without any hassle the CSR took it off my bill. Helps me out. Now my 40 bucks a month can cushion my savings account and not some ailing business's. No way could I do the already 30+ increase with the extra 40 on top of that! It sure was a shocker to see that new payment amount.

Glad we could get it taken off. Hope others do the same!

• Sh
    Sharon May 07, 2008

Wow - I am having the same problem - I called them yesterday and was forwarded to some voicemail and have been waiting for a call back to inquire what the heck this reserve requirement was. I can't afford another $60/mo tacked on and just sitting there for their own personal cushion! That's a tank of gas for me. Ridiculous.

• Mo
    Monalesia Jun 13, 2008

I've recently had a similar experience with Countrywide Mortgage. Things going along smoothly and then out of the blue, they increased my monthly mortgage payments by five hundred dollars, claiming that it was essentially to build up my escrow account. Unfortunately, they claimed that the increase was based on actual tax rates that had been assessed for 2008 by the County Tax Assessor's Office, but when I called the tax assessor, they stated in no uncertain terms that they had not even set the rates for 2008 and that Countrywide and Wells Fargo had been using this line with lots of customers. Countrywide also stated that they would adjust the erroneous fees while I was on the telephone with them, which they claim they did, but then they decided to keep the fees after all because they claimed they needed to pay back sanitation charges on my account. To the tune of nearly nine hundred dollars? That's some serious sanitation service! I have reported Countrywide to the State Attorney General's Office in California and Georgia. I advise others to do the same. That's the only way these predatory lenders are going to stop ripping people off.

Sandy Aug 07, 2008

I discovered this same exact problem today. Ridiculous. I sent an email to Consumerist to investigate and will definitely be calling and complaining and working to get this removed.

Sandy Aug 07, 2008

I just called and they removed this without question. They are absolutely hoping that people don't notice and know that they have no way to force this extra payment. If I could get rid of Countrywide without expensive refinancing, I would in a second!!!

not honoring written agreement

I was to ld to by FIA card services to make a payment of $110 to keep my account from being charged off and that they would settle my debt for $900. I told them to send me this in writing and they did. I made th e$110 payment in Feb 2008 and the settlement papers said that they would break up the $900 in 3 payments of $300. My first $300 payment was due on March 29, 2008. I called on March 28, 2008 to make the payment only to be told that the account was charged off ANYWAY. After speaking with a manager, I was told that B of A wasn't under any "obligation" to honor the agreement even though it is in writing. Needless to say, I am in the process of taking appropriate action to get this resolved.

canceling home equity line of credit!

Last year, after remodeling our home, we were appraised by BofA and they approved a home equity line of...

5 comments Algona Banks

Resolved overcharge!

The thieves at Bank of America are good at it. I had signed up for email alerts from BOA, that way I can keep...

hold on equity account!

Bank of America has just put a hold on my home equity line of credit account without notifying me. My credit...

fraud activity!

I was a victim of an internet check fraud scheme and Bank of America refuses to take any responsibility on...

Resolved steals consumer's money with &hidden& overdrafts charges

A new policy. A manipulation of your funds. Bank of America, apparently developed a new policy that will...

scam and abuse!

I am a business owner... I applied for a business bank of america visa card... For money in money out use for...

Resolved scam and rip off!

I am a dissatisfied ex-client of Bank of America. As I kept my personal accounts with BOA, and had not experienced any problems, I opened my business account with them as well. My business was doing well, and I took out a bank of America visa business card.

Shortly after, my business slowed down, as most businesses do. The business card had a balance of just over $14k. For 4 months I was not able to make a payment on the Visa card, and had no funds available in my bank of America business checking account. My Personal checking account had just over $8k and another $2k in my personal savings account. My wife had cashed out her 401k so we could pay for our daughters upcoming surgery.

I received a (yes just one) call from the bank of Americas collection department. They wanted to work out a payment plan. I let them know that I was just going through some difficult times and was not able to structure a repayment at this moment. Sure there was about $10k in my personal accounts, but to me my daughters surgery was more important. The $10k, along with selling my car was going to cover her surgery. Well Bank of America removed ALL the funds from my Personal accounts (both savings and checking) to payoff the business credit card.

So we called bank of America. The call was redirected to a representative of bank of America who identified himself as Tobias Thompson. He said that BOA had taken the funds to collect the debt on the business credit card. Tobias said that Bank of America had every right to remove these funds as it was in the terms of business agreement. I have read it and still cant find where Bank of America can take money from my personal account to payoff a business credit card. We even explained to Tobias how the funds in the personal account were for our daughters surgery, and that is why we were not able to make payments on the business card. They didn't care!

• Ro
    Robert Owens Jul 18, 2008

Not only does Bank of America not care they have employees that are thiefs (Tellers)!

• Ro
    roz_1980 Aug 07, 2009

I am leaving Bank of America. They have taken overdraft charges out of my account when my account wasn't even overdrawn, which caused a pending bill to overdraw so they could charge me yet again another overdraft charge...that I just caught, that was a few weeks ago. I still need to get that fixed today on top of get this...I added 300.00 to cover pending charges that would have overdrawn my account, which put my account at a postive balance...instead of covering the pending charges that were already there, they put thru overdraft charges first, caused my bank account to overdraw all over again, and THEN put thru the other charges...5.00 here and there, so they could charge me MORE overdraft charges!!!

I am irate. I haven't gone to the bank yet, but I am on my way today..the likeliness that they will fix this?? HA

Annoyedwithbank ofamerica Mar 12, 2010

Same story here, They are designed to rip you off .

• Gi
    gigette Jun 10, 2011

I and my deceased mothers lawyer have been trying to get her CD's from BOA. My mother made her lawyer as the Payor on Death so he could get the CD's to be able to pay the Probate lawyer. We have Tax statements from BOA showing him as the POD however; the bank says they have no paperwork for it. They refuse to release the money. My question to the bank was how could his name be on THEIR tax statements, yet they have nothing showing him on the account??? The mananger just look at me and calmly told me it was an error on the banks side, but he couldn't do anything about it...Unbelievable!!! BANK OF AMERICA is a ### bank...

Explanation of mortgage!

I purchased my 1st home in May 2005. This was all new to me. The finance company that helped me secure the loan left out a lot of IMPORTANT details. Example... my loan could be purchased by a mortgage company other than the initial mortgage company at my closing. This occurred within weeks of my mortgage. Before I made my 1st payment. Purchased by Countrywide and HSBC, a split mortgage. That was not explained to me either, split mortgage. Did either mortgage company contact me to see if I understood everything, or had any questions, NO neither did. I had to ask around what a split mortgage was as the finance company who helped my get my loan was no longer in business. Guess as long as the mortgage companies have someone's name on the dotted line, that is ALL they care about.

My story is the same as TOO many others. I signed my contract not realizing what a ARM was or meant. My payments more than doubled after 2 years when my ARM came up with Countrywide. HSBC did not increase my payments. How could Countrywide raise them, but not HSBC when I only signed one contract when I bought my home, not two? My house now has been set for a Sheriffs Sale next month by Countrywide. It has been on the market 10 of the last 12 months.

When trying to discuss things with Countrywide, I was informed it is "my fault" because I didn't inquire about a ARM before signing the paperwork. It was all wrote out in my contract. They did not care about me, my finances, or the fact I am loosing my home at all, not to mention nothing was explained to me about ARM's. Yet the CEO of Countrywide got 192 Million dollars for "compensation fees" in 2007. Wonder what his salary was??? This was on the National News. I hope the FBI hits Countrywide HARD for the things they are doing and have done to their customers. FBI investigating was on the National News also, a different day!!

I was told at my closing "pay your payments on time for about 2 years, refinance then and you will be able to get a lower interest rate." NOBODY bothered to say "in 2 years your ARM (and explain what that is) will be up and your payments will almost double from the payment you see now". I was FLOORED when I realized 1 1/2 yrs after buying my home what my new interest rate and payment will be. I no longer can afford my home and as I stated, is starting to go through the foreclosure procedure. Instead of improving my credit by purchasing a home, it is now being destroyed, FOREVER. If you are buying a home, while sitting at the closing, be sure to ask questions like, "in a few years will my loan change and if so to what & for how long".

I guess thinking back now, I should have made everyone sitting at the closing table wait while I read EVERY line on EVERY page of my contract. Because I have 2 "mortgages" - split mortgage with different companies, with different terms in the fine unexplained print.

Sarah Apr 08, 2008

I am sorry but that is completly YOUR fault. You should read the documents before you sign them. And your notary should be explaining every document that you sign. I am so sick of ignorant people blaming everyone else for their mistakes. It is people like you not paying attention to what they are doing that is brining the market down!! by getting into loans that they cannot afford.
    If you are making one of the biggest investments of your life you should pay more attention. And it is does not take a rocket scientist to figure out what an ARM is, it is stated right on your Note, Deed of Trust, and Federal Truth in Lending in bold letters "ADJUSTABLE RATE MORTGAGE" ...what did you think when you saw that

UNFAIR LENDING PRACTICES

I HAD A LOAN WITH A HIGH INTEREST RATE WITH COUNTRYWIDE AND TRIED TO REFINANCE// THEY DENIED ME// THEN WAS ABLE TO REFINANCE WITH A BROKER WITH AN FHA LOAN FOR A 30 YEAR FIXED RATE OF 6 1/4 PERCENT//// I HAD TO PAY A HUGE PRE PAYMENT PENALITY OF OVER 5000.00 DOLLARS TO COUNTRYWIDE TO DO IT// THEN COUNTRYWIDE BOUGHT THE LOAN IMMEDIATELY BACK FROM THE BROKER THE DAY AFTER CLOSING// HERE THEY DENIED ME AND WANTED TO KEEP ME AT THE HIGHER INTERST RATE BUT THEN THEY ACCEPTED THE LOWER LOAN FROM THE BROKER STEALING MY 5000.00 DOLLARS/// AND MY MORTGAGE COMPANY WAS COUNRTY WIDE AND STILL IS LEAVING ME OUT 5000.00 DOLLARS AND NEGATIVE EQUITY IN MY HOME// ITS PRACTICES LIKE THIS THAT COUNRTYWIDE DOES TO KEEP PEOPLE TIED TO THEM NO MATTER WHAT IT COSTS THE CONSUMER// THEY HAVE FAILED TO ANSWERE MY CURRENT LETTERS I HAVE SENT THEM AND FAXED THEM AND THE BANK COMMISSIONER FROM PA ALSO SENT THEM A LETTER THAT THEY HAVE NOT RESPONDED TO// THEY ARE THE ROOT CAUSE OF PEOPLE LOOSING THEIR HOMES AND BEING IN FINANICAL TROUBLE.....

joseph willi Sep 16, 2008

hi thier well some those storys really hurt me to see peps losing what they have worked for for all thier adult lives thier is reson that a morgt company do not want help out thier holders to whom it may get to well here is a athoer story i lost my home this yaer from contrywide last yaer i called 6 times to the person who was handling my loan and they told me that thier is nothing that they can do for me wanted to reduse my mothely payment they told me we cant help you your in a bankruptsy but i kept tring to talk to some one just kept being put on hold well i could not keep the house only after i letf the home they wanted to talk whats the reson for it now its not all thier falt its mine for dealing with cyd they are just not a good company for working pepoel well im tring to get my self back on my feet if thier is some one out thier that can help me please do so thak tuy for your time

Unauthorized checking acct debits!

I once had a credit card issued by MBNA. Once they were bought out by Bank of America, my credit card was now the property of some fools known as FIA Card Services. I had authorized them to take out the minimum payments due from my checking account on the first of each month, thereby never missing a payment, and not being accessed a late fee. All of a sudden on January 1st, 2008, i noticed they began to debit my checking account TWICE for the same amount. So I phoned in to figure out what was going on. They apologized and told me they'd wire the funds back to me and i should see it post back into my checking account the following day. Long story short, I waited 11 days to get that back to me after long hours on the phone arguing with these incompetent individuals. During that call, I revoked the authorization to debit my checking account and demanded my bank's information be deleted from their system. Come Feb 1st, again 2 drafts were debited from my checking account. Again I waited days to get the money put back into my account. Same thing in March. I have had enough with these fools. How dare they think they have the ability to just draw MY funds whenever they want. They are nothing more than crooks and criminals tapping into my hard earned money in order to grab an interest free loan. I have filed a complaint to the Better Business Bureau of Delaware about their illegal practices of basically stealing $ from client's checking accounts. In the complaint, I have also requested all bank fees be refunded due to overdrafts caused by their unauthorized debits, AND in addition, I want compensation for the headaches, and interest for the days I basically 'loaned' them my money (and that interest rate is at the HIGHEST possible interest rate allowed by law). Should this occur again in April, I will be filing a small claims lawsuit against them, or even will consider a class action law suit should I find out they are taking advantage of more individuals other than myself.

• J
    J Mar 15, 2008

im about to have a suit against those fools too!!!

Anon May 12, 2008

FIA Electronic Forgery... unauthorized electronic checks. My story is nearly line for line of yours. We were promised the money back in our account the next day but would take 72 hours to show with almost no question that they were wrong and would fix the error. Now five days later I call and they seem to know nothing about the agreement to refund the unauthorized charge and there are no notes in their system as to who agreed to make the refund, unfortunately in many cases they do not use their real names so it makes it even harder. Now I have to start over. I am worried to learn that they did this to you more than once as I can not afford another unauthorized transaction, the first one took my account to near zero. Class action sounds like a real possibility with these people.

• Ea
    East Coast USA Aug 29, 2008

Fia did the same thing to me. Set up an agreement and then withdrew funds at random. One withdrawal was for $1000.00. Thank God the money was not in that account. My bank advised me to close the old account and open a new one. Still, it cost me fees. WHAT FEDERAL AGENCY do I contact about this? I had to close the checking account after 10 years.

• Br
    brittweis Oct 05, 2009

My husband had a bank of america card that he was young and spent way to much on. When we were married i paid the card off in full to the tune of $2500. About a month later we recieved a card from bank of america for a lowered ballance of $500. I was comfortable with the amount he would be allowed to spend on this card so we decided to activate it. The card came in an envelope from bank of america, the card says bank of america, nowhere does it say fia card services. so we ended up having to move suddenly and got behind in a few bills we are almost caught up three months later. we used this card during the move and it is maxed out. so my minumum payment is $19 i wanted to take a little off extra each month until everything else is caught up then we will pay this off completely again. i used the card every once in a while i never looked at the statement because i knew i was paying more then the minimum. so $5 here and there was not a worry to me. i logged on to look at this card and i have been charge over draft fees each month. apparently the minimum payment of $19 is designed to occur over fees. my card is charged $30 per month in interst. so if my card is maxed which it is, and i pay the minimum my card will always be over, if i pay over the minimum and use it at all my card will be over. we are never late but sometimes things come up and we can not pay it off complet;ey (something we did every month until this happened) so the last straw is we paid as much as we could this pay check so we could be clear by the 15th so we knew things were going to be tight, everythin is automatic with us and this account always posts on the 2nd. so we thought we had money left over. they pulled what i authorized plus the over fees, and were $3 short in my account. so i just paid $25. they did not charge my account until this afternoon. 10/5/09 i am going to cancell this account

Failure to return a deposit after i canceled a loan application, because of lies from loan rep!

In December 2007 sent $415.00 to Eric Park at the cooperate office for Country wide mortgage. The paperwork the company sent me was completely different than our verbal agreement. I therefore called Mr Eric Park and canceled the agreement. He said He would return the deposit. I have called his at least 10 times and left messages with no returns. I have called his manager 2 times ( Ephraim Farol) at [protected] ex 3569. He has not returned my calls ether.

Yesterday 3-8-2008 I called again and added the vice president of the company to the calls (Shawn Welcher) at [protected] ex 4265. He also did not return the call.

The proposed loan number is [protected] dated [protected].

• Ji
    Jim Massengale May 02, 2008

It seems like there was a slight miscommunication. Eric Park has funded loans on 3 properties for me in the past 4 months. He is very informative and thorough in order to maintain his professionalism. In regards to my friend, Fred Kolb in Peoria, who posted this complaint, I think there was just a slight misunderstanding and overreacting on Fred's behalf. My documentation was not correct either because it was not sent by Eric, instead through a processor who just handles the paperwork. He informed me in advance to prevent any confusion. Eric always does his best to get back to me within 2 hours in the same business day. I will continue to do business with Eric because he is friendly, informative, honest, and just an overall easy-to-get along with business professional. Despite all the bad publicity, I will continue to work with Countrywide and especially Eric Park.

horrible customer service and unfair treatment.

I recently moved to Alaska to help my aunt out with her three children and house while her husband wa...

4 comments Fort Richardson Banks

Predatory practices

We were contacted by the Birmingham, AL office of Countrywide to refi our home. We gave them some info and they said we were approved contingent ONLY on our house appraising a certain amount. We paid for the appraisal, credit report, etc. They did the same thing to us that was posted earlier by someone. They took our money and told us this beautiful time-frame they would close in so many days...never happened, still hasn't happened. Our loan status on their website says we were declined for our loan. We were upfront about the things on our credit report since we had had a lot of sickness in the last 5 years....but before taking our appraisal money we were told the credit report did not matter and were pressured to take our appraisal money. Buyers beware and run for your life. The only time-frame promise that was kept with this company is the IMMEDIATE debit to our checking account when they took the appraisal money from it. So since then all they did was pass the buck to someone else. This company absolutely promised they would do things speedily and this proved to be absolutely false. When we were finally told we were declined I requested my appraisal fee back and the loan officer forwarded the call to the "branch manager" who I informed how I felt about their practices. I informed him that we felt we were treated like a sales number not individuals. He assured me this was not the case and as I started to hang up the phone he had to ask what my name was. This has been a total 3 ring circus for us and I wish I had never answered the phone the day they called. Run as fast as you can to a mortgage company that will be honest with you. Not only our time was wasted but we were given false information and false hope that sure doesn't help when you have already been suffering from major depression for several years. This office's right hand never knew what the left hand was doing and I have never dealt with a company that was as disorganized and incompetent. Again, run don't walk away from Countrywide unless you enjoy run-a-rounds, voicemails from loan officers saying they "will be in training all day," voice mails from those individual's supervisors that never return calls, repeatedly asking for the same documents that you have previously faxed them and all along wondering why they bothered to call us trying to refi us in the beginning. By the time they decided they would deny our loan I was totally relieved that I could stay with the company we've had and rather just keep the interest rate where it is because at least I know my original mortgage company is honest. Since this happened I've learned we are not the only ones that have had similar problems, but luckily we are not financed with them because it could have been much worse as I've read many horror stories since from people who have been financed through them.

• Rh
    Rhonda Stevens Jul 25, 2008

We own a home financed by Countrywide and were going to refinance. We were also approved for the loan - contingent on the home appraising for a certain amount. They took our credit card information and immediately processed the $400 for the appraisal.

The only reason we were refinancing is Countrywide kept sending us information that we could consolidate our bills and named a substantial amount of equity that we had to work with. With the housing market the way it is, our home appraised for over $25k less than it should have. I did not want a loan for the amount they could give us; I want my $400 back or at least a copy of the appraisal we paid for.

We never received a copy of the appraisal, they will not return our phone calls, and we never heard anything else from them.

If there is anyone else out there who has issues with Countrywide, please speak up!