Having problems with Balsam Hill?

+1 888 552 2572 (United States)
+44 203 368 6726 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 466 228 (Australia)
1561 Adrian Road

Australia
Unit B2 23-107 Erskine Park Road, Erskine Park, NSW 2759 Australia

Complaints & Reviews

Resolved Damaged / Unclear Description

I purchased a wreath from Balsam Hill Christmas Tree Company and expected to get something to be proud of. Unfortunately the 48" artificial wreath was hinged, which was not disclosed anywhere on their website where a normal person could fine it. After calling Kathy at customer service, she spent around 20 seconds trying to locate this ...having to go a few clicks to locate (while all along saying that all but one of their 48" wreaths was hinged). Wouldn't you think that it might be a good idea to state this on the main page where the wreaths are presented so as to avoid the surprise of finding this out once you receive delivery? And yes, she said she would speak with the web design department...should I hold my breath?

In addition to this fact, the wreath came with several of the ornaments lying at the bottom of the box.

Lastly and most importantly, the wreath required more than a reasonable amount of time to "fluff" in order to make it look anything close to being realistic.

Needless to say, it is being returned. Their return policy calls for a full refund but I will have to pay for the shipping cost.

Thank God for AMEX. As long as I change the shipping cost on my AMEX card, they will reimburse me for the cost.

Bottom line - this Company has a fantastic website...very attractive. Unfortunately, they should spend a little more time with having their product come from the factory in a more presentable manner so as to avoid the level of customer satisfaction!

My recommendation - keep away from them. Expensive and the product is very disappointing!

• De
    Deflagratus Dec 27, 2012

It does mention that they are hinged, I don't know how this Idiot missed it. Maybe he should have purchased a good pair of reading glasses instead

Resolved ship product without all parts

I bought a tree from this company. I spent $1500. The tree arrived on time but they sent it with the wrong stand. I was unable to set the tree up. I tried calling them 20 times and was disconnected each and every time. I sent emails and created tickets and never received a response. My family was in from out of state and we were unable to set the tree up. The kids were obviously disappointed. I had to dispute this charge. They never responded. The parts to the tree still sit in my garage.

DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY.

Will never buy from balsam hill

I purchased a prelite tree from balsam hill after one year had trouble with a section of the tree having shortage.I at the time i bought the tree was told there was 10 year warranty come to find out warranty on lights 3yr only tree branchs 5yr.spent way to much money on this tree will never buy from balsam hill.

balsamhillsucks Dec 21, 2010

This is one of the worst e-commerce retailers out there. They just don't care about their products or their customers. I spent $2000 on a 12' tree from Balsam Hill. It arrived defective and has continuous lighting problems. This year more than 2000 out of the 4000 light bulbs do not work. Balsam Hill just says, oh well, you have to do maitenence now and again. The tree was bought at the end of 2009. Its in its second season this year. Balsam Hill is full of excuses and promises to call you back or send spare parts. Its all false promises. Once they have your money they just don't care. The Better Business Bureau shows dozens of complaints about Balsam Hill. Actually, all you have to do is Google the words "Balsam Hill Complaint" or "Balsam Hill Reviews" and you will find hundreds of unhappy customers. One customer has a dedicated web site called www.balsamhillsucks.com ! Please, do not but a Christmas tree from Balsam Hill. It will be the worst experience you have. Its a shame the recession didn't wipe-out this shady outfit!

• Db
    dborder13 Dec 02, 2017

their "warranty" is replacements. after several "replacements" with lights that don't work either -- who wants another replacement? they refuse to give a refund. HORRIBLE COMPANY!!!

Resolved POOR CUSTOMER SERVICE / DEFECTIVE PRODUCTS

This is the worst possible company you could ever consider doing business with regarding purchasing a...

Resolved Credit for Christmas Tree

Received a Christmas Tree that was nothing like the photo and did not measure out to the 7.5 height Full 60" width 1, 000 lights that it said I would be getting. When I pulled out branches as far out as I could one branch and only one branch reached to 55 1/2" width advertised. Only one branch which was at least 1 inch long reached the 7.5 height and only a few more branches reached almost the 6.5" height. I tried to count the so called 1, 000 lights and came to about 800 lights (not that accurate hard to count). A few of the tree branches were worn and the photo of the tree I thought I was buying did not come even close to looking like the one I received. I was so convinced they sent me the model below the one I paid for that I took the chance of sending it back and not getting $50.00 back for return shipping. They said to return it and they would check it out to see if I got what I ordered, if I did I would get back a credit minus $50.00 return fee. Well now I am out $50.00 and went to Harrows to buy another tree. A tree that said it was the same 7.5" height and 60"width that actually is what it says it is. The height is not just the one branch (the one longer branch makes the height higher than the 7.5". The few branches width wise are actually wider than the 60". I was deceived by Balsam and warn everyone not to buy a tree from them.

Resolved Nothing like product advertised

Shopped online for an artificial prelit christmas tree that would be easy to set up and enjoy. I am a single...

False Advertising

I wish I had found this website before ordering two artificial Christmas trees from this company. These people are criminals and they know it. The photographs they show on their website do not come close to representing the actual appearance of their products. I wouldn't be surprised if this equates to "bait and switch". Website photos are beautiful. Trees are full and dense. You cannot see the "trunk", or through the tree at any point. Actual trees are thin. "Trunk" is totally visible. You can see through every portion of the tree.

Unfortunately, I found out to late. I going to cost me $100-$150 to return the low quality trees they sent me. They advertise having the most luxurious trees, crafted to exceed expectations. Their trees come from China! I did not find this out till after they arrived. They also lead you to believe the entire trees are fully hinged, they are not.

That's my sorry story about my online tree shopping experience. Save yourself a lot of pain. Find a tree locally you can see in person.

Rich W. - Apex, NC

• Mi
    Miguelortega Nov 27, 2010

Have to agree with you. I bought a Vermont Spruce which was supposed to be their top of the line. This company is really a scam. I had problems after just 1 season of use. We donated the tree and bought one from Tree Classics this year instead. Live and learn I suppose.

Resolved Defective Product and Poor Customer Service

My Christmas Tree Nightmare With Balsam Hill, a terrible company.

Lesson Learned: Do your homework and check reviews and opinions before you make an expensive purchase online.

About 3 weeks ago I was bragging that I had ordered a fake tree that was on clearance from Balsam Hill. I've never had a fake tree in my life, but I just wanted to try something different. I ordered an $800 tree on clearance for $429 (the is just supposed to be a discontinued item, not defective in any way). I know...it seems like a lot of money, but I thought of it as an investment for the next several years. Oh boy...was I wrong...

I couldn't make this up...I swear. Let me see how to summarize my horrific experience with Balsam Hill...

Ordered tree online on Nov. 23

Received box 1 of 2 on Nov. 28

Received box 2 of 2 on Dec. 2

I opened the boxes on Dec. 2 to find out that they had shipped 2 section B's of the tree and no section C. They had also not packed any instructions, gloves or extra lights and fuses. All of these things should have been included in my shipment. Essentially, I had 2 boxes of junk. I did not have the right parts to assemble a tree.

Here's where the nightmare begins...after daily phone calls and emails trying to get the right section C and all my parts, all I got were lies from the customer service reps and no call backs from the company, I finally filed a complaint with the BBB last Wednesday.

Finally, today...on December 15, I received section C of the tree, but still no extra lights, fuses, instructions or gloves. The fun doesn't end here...oh no...my husband was finally able to assemble the tree tonight and section D's post is too big for E so he had to rig some pvc and shovel handle to hold it together so it wouldn't topple over - He doesn't know how he's going to pry those 2 sections apart after christmas..lol.

The best part was when we placed section A at the top of the tree and we thought our troubles were done...

DH plugged in the lights and my entire tree has white lights except section A at the top...they are multi colored!

I almost blew a gasket...dh remained calm and said that we've learned our lesson and he's not sending anything back because he's tired of dealing with their cracker jack operation.

I did call them again tonight and a "lighting technician" was available to help me and he's sending me some white lights for the top of the tree. I did already get a shipping confirmation email from him. Thank gawd!

I tried everything...that's why I finally filed the complaint with the BBB. I called them everyday and told them that I wanted a refund and that they had ruined my holiday season because they had stolen my hard earned money and left me with 2 giant boxes of junk.

It's hard to get justice when I'm cross country from them and have to deal with them by phone and email.

And honest to gawd...I can't even imagine what kind of idiots they have packing these trees and supplies for shipping. How can you not know your A, B, C's and not pack all the right sections and parts??? What ###s!

I wanted to send the tree back from the beginning and get my money refunded, but the company won't budge on their refund policy...I would have to pay about $100 in shipping out of my own pocket and who knows if they would ever confirm receipt of the returned merchandise! They are flakes!

My PSA - Don't buy an expensive Christmas tree online.

• I have to say I totally agree with the author above. I just purchased an artificial tree (also for the first time).
    I found Balsam Hill online and was impressed with their advertising and media coverage! I thought...if it was good enough for Ellen...it was good enough for me!
    I figured if I was going to go artificial I at least wanted it to be "Beautiful". They said on the phone that the tree was 4.5 foot so I took a tape measure and measured where 4.5 foot would come up to and decided that was a good size for me. Much smaller than my usual 7' live tree but I thought 4.5 wasn't so bad once I put it on a table or stand.
    Once the tree arrived it took alot longer to put together than I was told because of having to shape and mold every single branch but that was ok with me as long as it was going to look good.
    I found though, during the process 2-3 springs came off in my hand and the base and post of the tree was a whole 1 foot which left the actual tree only 3.5 feet. Do you know how small 3.5 feet is for a Christmas tree...VERY small! The tree also has much more branches on the top half than the bottom and the tree has the outlets for the lights (already pre-strung) wrapped in a ball of branch material so it looks like I have 3 softball size, branch covered balls in my tree! Not pretty!! And to top it off it cost over $200 for this tiny tree on sale no less!!! With tax, S&H and all I was in for over $250 for this tiny Charlie Brown tree. Needless to say I am extremely dissatisfied.
    I called the company only 1 day after receiving my tree and told them of my dissatisfaction. The first customer service rep "Deborah" from Maine was very condescending and rude and I did not want to deal with her anymore. I asked for the manager and at that point she continued to try and talk to me instead of immediately transferring me. I finally got it through her thick head that I was NOT interesting in dealing with her any longer and she put a so called "supervisor" on (Charity). (Not only will you not get "charity" but there is no "empathy" either!) I explained my dissatisfaction with her and explained how rude the customer service rep was. Her reply was that "She was one of the best service reps they have"! (I feel sorry for them!) At that point I explained to her that I was just letting her know about how I was spoken to and she can do what she wants with that information.
    I asked her if she would be interested in matching the price of a comparable tree which is on JCPenny.com for only $99 or I will return it but I do not want to incur shipping fees since the tree is going back because it is NOT as shown on the website or explained to me by the rep.
    At this point she repeatedly went over the return shipping policy because they do not match pricing. I explained to her that I know the return policy but...I am sending it back due to the company's misrepresentation of the item (they show a picture of the tree without the post and base so it looks bigger!). She again repeated herself about the return policy over and over and over and over again!
    At that point I realized I was going to get nowhere with this person either so I asked to speak to the owner or a regional manager. She refused to transfer me, take a message, give me a direct number to call ect... I could NOT believe this person would refuse to give a paying customer the phone number to her manager or anyone else. That was it, I had to deal with her only and pay return shipping no matter how I felt about the issue?????? Is this common practice? Not in my experience of 50 years.
    All I can say is DO NOT purchase anything from this company unless you want to buy a 7' tree and pay $729.00 and get a 6' tree! That is probably the only way you may be somewhat satisfied with your purchase.
    I too am filing with the BBB.
    Hope this helps future artificial tree buyers ;)

Samantha-111 Oct 21, 2011

I agree. STAY FAR away from Balsam Hill or their other cloaked brands which I've found to be the following: www.treeclassics.com www.treetopia.com and www.christmastreemarket.com. These jokers are selling the same garbage to people across multiple domains. If I were Google or Bing I would completely de-index this company from the internet. They are RIPPING PEOPLE OFF!!!

Resolved Product Quality

Purchased an $800 Christmas tree from Balsam Hill last year. Upon taking it out this year all of the stickers that label the complex lighting had fallen off leaving no way to effectively assemble the tree. Upon contacting Balsam Hill they recommended that I try to glue or tape all the stickers back on with a few hours of phone assistance from their technician. This is an impossible task due to the complex nature of the lighting. The company promises a quality product and charges quite a bit for it, however they certainly do not deliver. This problem could be easily rectified by a permanent labeling system since these trees are meant to be used for years but Balsam Hill customer service and the CEO refuse to take notice of this defect in their product leaving the consumer at a loss when it fails in under one years time. I live within driving distance of the company and could have taken the tree in for repair or they could send a technician out but apparently this isn't an option. Had this been a $100 tree from Walmart I might expect this. It was not. Be aware if you are considering a purchase from Balsam Hill, this is a product that is only used once a year but if it fails in a year then you will be very frustrated and out a lot of money.

Resolved Defective Tree/Bad Customer Service

Last year I bought a tree for $1229 from Balsam Hill Tree after checking out their branch kit. Spent a whole day trying to set up but found many defects - broken stand, balls of wired lights (not spread around the branches) branches coming out due to lack of push-pins & more. They delivered it promptly and later, via phone, agreed to issue credit upon return (they paid for return ship), but it took 2 months of calls, emails, which they didn't respond to, and it wasn't until I contacted Better Business Bureau that I got a credit. Very nice when you're buying but agonizing experience trying to get a credit. Doing business with them is risky! I wrote a version of "Night Before Christmas" out of frustration. It tells my story!

The Nightmare Before Christmas
(with apologies to Clement Clarke Moore)

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even my spouse.
Stressed from the problems with our Balsam Hill Tree,
Fell asleep with his pliers while up on one knee.

The pets were nestled all snug in our beds,
While visions of tree lights danced in their heads.
And papa in fleece, and I in my sweats
Were contemplating whether to contact Fed-Ex.

When out of the den there arose such a clatter,
The base had collapsed and the tree lay much flatter.
Away to the doorway I flew like a flash,
Switched on the light to check out the crash!

The realistic branches with lights that we loved,
Came tumbling down--no push-pins above!
When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
Our Balsam Hill tree lying front over rear!

With so many branches loose and detached,
I knew in a moment we must send it back!
More rapid than eagles my spouse did sing,
And he whistled, and shouted, get rid of this thing!

Now crap, now ###, now g------ s---!
Damn branches, damn lights, damn stand, that’s it!
To the top of the window! To the top of the wall!
A star would be if this tree were any good at all!

As dry leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky.
But--down to the ground the branches they went,
With the tree full of lights and realistic tips all bent!

And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the phone,
Jean from Balsam Hill saying you’re not alone.
As I listed the flaws of my beautiful tree,
She told me a credit she’d issue to me!

I got dressed and came in to look at our tree,
Picking up needles with tape stuck to me.
Five bundles we needed to wrap up real tight,
To haul to the boxes with all of our might!

The lights how they twinkled! The branches so real!
The needles so soft and the stand made of steel!
The vision we had of this beautiful tree,
So many problems, twas never to be!

The stump of a toothpick I held tight in my teeth,
While listing the problems and, yes, no receipt!
I had a red face when I voiced my concerns,
Worried that they would take no returns.

Then she was helpful, as nice as could be,
Yes, we laughed, twas Jean from Balsam Hill Tree.
She told me a call tag she’ll issue ahead,
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread.

She spoke a kind word and went straight to her work,
Contacting Fed Ex and reaching the clerk.
And a return we decided after so many talks,
Our beautiful tree will be packed in the box.

He sprang to his van after loading the tree,
And away he drove, and how sad were we!
But my husband exclaimed, ‘do not despair, ’
A real tree we’ll get for many a year!

Twas a week after Christmas and still not a word,
Not a credit appeared, how downright absurd!
After dozens of phone calls and emails from me,
I couldn’t get through to Balsam Hill Tree!

I couldn’t get nestled all snug in my bed,
I dreaded no refund and a battle ahead!
For six weeks I angrily stirred and paced,
Over Balsam Hill Tree who I endlessly chased!

When out of my brain there arose such a clatter,
Contact my VISA, they’ll help with this matter!
I wrote them a letter to explain the debacle,
That Balsam Hill caused and the problem we’d tackle!

I still tried to contact Ms. Davis to see,
If she’d send me my refund to end this misery!
I kept calling and calling but to no avail,
Customer Service was closed for a post-Christmas sale!

Contacting Balsam Hill reps was tough,
Being jerked around for six weeks was finally enough!
Better Business in California I finally did call,
When I tried every means and then hit a wall!

More rapid than eagles I got a reply,
BBB did their thing and I guess s... did fly!
In less than a week, how shocking was this,
A Balsam Hill apology for “PERCEIVED” lack of service!

How nervy, I thought, to use these words,
“Perceived lack of service, ” that’s for the birds!
A lack of service as real as can be,
Was prolonged for six weeks by Balsam Hill Tree!

And then in a twinkling I saw on my bill,
My refund for $1229, what a thrill!
Two months since I bought that Balsam Hill Tree,
That caused the worst Christmas I ever did see!

Balsam Hill Tree they nailed to the wall,
My refund I got, but that was not all!
The interest I lost on my VISA I got,
And satisfaction that Balsam Hill Tree got caught!

If ever a lesson I learned from this mess,
Is to research a product, it’s maker, and yes,
Check Consumer Reports and the BBB,
You’ll be much better off, less worries, you’ll see!

Be smart when you shop in stores and online,
Know all of the rules and then you’ll do fine!
Hope your Holiday’s happy and out of sight,
Merry Christmas to all and to all a good night!

DH

Resolved Stuck with a xmas tree that won't stand & doesn't fully light

I ordered an artificial tree from this company on line. It arrived promptly, however upon opening & trying to...

Customer service direction leaves product unusable!

On July 20, 2007, I contacted Balsam Hil Christmas Tree Company via the internet to purchase a Norway Spruce...

Deceptive advertisement!

I ordered an artificial Christmas tree from this company, being impressed with the photos and info. given in...