Having problems with Balsam Hill?

+1 888 552 2572 (United States)
+44 203 368 6726 (United Kingdom)
+61 280 466 228 (Australia)
1561 Adrian Road

Australia
Unit B2 23-107 Erskine Park Road, Erskine Park, NSW 2759 Australia

Complaints & Reviews

christmas tree

Spent $1100 on Christmas tree in 2015 (used 3 Christmases). This year in 2019 the plastic thing that holds the wires for lights broke making the tree only usable without the lights. When speaking to representative at Balsam Hill, she could not help in telling me where I could buy a replacement for it. Totally wrong. Go with a company that is either willing to sell or replacement parts or tell you where to buy them (They refused on both counts).

quality of product - cheap!

BUYER BEWARE! I ordered a tree, glass ornaments and 2 sets of "crystal and pearl beaded garlands". (3...

wreath

I ordered a wreath for my door in December of 2017. The website page never showed a cord, and I thought I was purchasing a wreath with battery operated lights. I mean who wants a plug running up their door? When I got it, It had a regular plug. I had always heard good things about this company and how artificial foliage was their specialty so I didn't think I would have a hard time exchanging it for the correct one. Then disaster hits and I had to have emergency neck surgery so it sat by my front door until today. I call them and even offer to pay the return shipping to get what I need for next year. Only to hear from them that I called 30 days too late and they don't even have the item. What? I thought this company was a stable, year round company. I asked for a supervisor and was told since it was OFF Season, no one else was available. What a crock. They acted like one of these fly-by-night companies that only open at Christmas. I will always buy from a local store now, with REAL products, and with real people who have a heart.

please, ship my christmas tree asap

I ordered an Aspen Silver Fir Christmas tree at the beginning of November knowing how websites may work. Didn't know anything about this one, but I thought that ordering ahead of time would be a great idea.
Well, yes, actually, it is, but not on this website.
It looks great, by the way. Makes you feel how close the main holiday is. But the problem is that they haven't shipped the tree yet. I am very worried. 26 days till christmas, not sure it will arrive on time :(

prelit christmas tree

Ordered a 4.5 ft prelit Christmas tree for my 82 yr old mother last year. I was feeling guilty since we had just moved her out of her house and into a 55+ apartment. I wanted to get her a high quality Christmas tree to try and make the new place feel more like home.

Tree worked fine last holiday season, but this year I go to set it up the second weekend in November and guess what, no lights. I called their Customer Service number and spoke to a very nice guy named Jeff who helped diagnose the issue as a faulty receiver box. He helps me troubleshoot the issue and says that he will request a new receiver box be sent out under warranty and it should be received in 3-5 days. 2 days later I receive a canned email stating that the receiver box is out of stock but i will receive an email when it's ready to ship.

I've sent multiple emails to their Customer service department which is basically outsourced to the Philippines and i've received no information other than the fact that the "receiver box" is still out of stock. I guess it's fine to expect my 82 yr old mother to crawl around on the floor and over furniture to plug in an extension cord to have 1/2 of the lights work.

I was a sucker and spend $350 on a 4.5 ft tree. My first purchase from Balsam Hill and definitely my last. I'll buy a clearance tree at Target or Walmart this year and it will probably perform better for a fraction of the cost.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Nov 29, 2017

"I guess it's fine to expect my 82 yr old mother to crawl around on the floor and over furniture to plug in an extension cord to have 1/2 of the lights work."
    I don't know why this is her only option. She could not turn on the lights or you could purchase a remote-controlled extension cord system for her.

6.5 ft blue spruce xmas tree

Bought on 12/27/14. Stored unopened for 2 years. Opened recently for Xmas now that we have a home. Product...

Tree

If only I had researched this company before ordering. Although having said that, yesterday they deleted all...

Don't deal with them!!

I have ordered a Christmas tree from this website www.balsamhill.com because I saw many positive reviews about this seller, but I guess most of them were fake! I had a terrible experience with Balsam Hill and my order arrived completely damaged. I contacted them and asked for a refund and they said they need some time to decide what to do in my case. They said they will not refund me and promised to think of something else. How unprofessional, don't deal with them!!

Defective and Deceptive Tree

Paid a lot of money for this tree and when it arrived it was defective and looked nothing like the tree we...

Broken Product upon delivery: Wouldn't replace it

By far, the worst, most unbelievable consumer experience of my 50 years of life! Ordered the tree and paid...

Breach of selling regulations

I bought a tree on the last day of a "Sale", ending on a Monday in early October at midnight. I went back to...

poor quality product, terrible customer service

This is the worst company I've ever dealt with. I spent over $1000 on an artificial tree. It was very complicated to set up, and I called customer support 3 times in the course of several hours to try to have them help me. Only one section of the lights would light up, but they gave me vague, generic answers such as "check the manual" and "look on our website for more detailed instructions". Do they think I would have called if I hadn't already looked at the instruction manual? After several frustrating hours I decided to return the tree. After it was boxed up and in my garage, only then did they decide they wanted to spend time troubleshooting with me before I could return it. I told them it was too late, I was not wasting any more time trying to get this tree to work, and I wanted them to pay the return shipping. I fought with them for weeks and got the run a round from everyone. Finally I spend $450 to return the tree!! It was nearly half of what I paid for it. I never felt so ripped off and promised I would tell everyone what a terrible company they were and that nobody should buy their products. I have never done this before but I felt I had no option after all the wasted money and time. They actually had someone call me to tell me they couldn't refund me for shipping, but if I ever wanted to buy something from them again they would personally assist me. As if I would EVER buy anything from them!!! Please do not buy from this company, they are terrible and you will have nothing but aggravation and regret.

No order and no apology

I placed an order on 12/6. Got no confirmation so I e-mailed on 12/7. Received response 12/8 verifying my order and saying that my order had been shipped on 12/7. I called on 12/13 to find out where my order was and was told that my order was cancelled and the item was out of stock! How does an order go from "shipped" to "you're not getting one"? Insult to injury: I never even got an apology from either of the two agents with whom I spoke. I've seen better customer service at the dollar store.

• Dp
    DP Ohio Jan 04, 2012

Poor customer service and no support for defective lights even though they say the are warranted. They always come up with some excuse.

Defective Tree and TERRIBLE Customer Service

We noticed after about 5 hours of use that there were a strand of lights out...the $500 tree was likely Dead On Arrival and we just did not notice the broken lights earlier.

Customer Service (even my letters to the Found/CEO) refuses to pay for return shipping even after 5 phone calls and 2 emails to the CEO. They state only other option is to wait until their Warranty Service Department opens in February to get replacement parts!!! They want me to wait 60+ days for PARTS on a 5-hour used broken tree?! Then dig it out of the basement next summer, put it together with the new parts, test it, then box it back up in the basement, then open it again Christmas 2012 and see if it works still?! Moreover, they said I had to return it by Christmas 2011 (10 days from now) or I would not get a refund on my $500 tree purchase!

Writing Better Business Bureau and California Attorney General.

***Short of story: STAY AWAY FROM BALSAM HILL! ***

Google and read the other horror stories. There are even websites solely dedicated to Balsam Hill complaints!

• Ta
    taracity Jan 11, 2011

Avoid - product does not work and they will not replace the part. I wish I had seen this site before I bought the tree!

• Cs
    C schumacher Jan 13, 2015

Same experience, received a defective tree, one whole section did not light up, called customer service said they would send me a new section of the tree. Never received, called once a week, kept getting run around. I gave up and asked for a replacement tree. Only way they would send one was if I bought a new tree. Then I could send back the defective tree and they would issue a refund. Thank goodness I had the brains to say no, just let me return the defective tree and issue me a refund. Customer service rep said fine, I will email you a label so you can return the tree. Guess what, never received the label. When I called back again after a few weeks, I was told that I had exceeded the time allowed for a refund and could not return the tree. They will send me a replacement section of the tree in time for next Christmas. What a scam...DO NOT BUY ANYTHING FROM THIS COMPANY THEY ARE CROOKS

Poor customer service

This is the worst possible company you could ever consider doing business with regarding purchasing a...

Poor service

Have had the same trouble as other reviewers. My wife and I spent $700 on a nice tree to be enjoyed supposedly for Years to come.

When the tree arrived we set it up. It had a significant lean to the side that I could not fix. I took the tree apart and put it back together again at least 4 times and still the lean was there.

We also noticed a smashed electrical plug that looked unsafe.

We called Balsam Hill NUMEROUS times. Each time I held the line for around 35 to 45 minutes just to speak with someone. When someone finally answered they told me I would have to wait for warranty help to call me back. They never did. We did a credit card back dispute, BBB complaint, and our situation still remains unsolved.

Please don't make the same mistake as we did and find another supplier for your tree. You do not want to deal with these people, they are ripoff artists.

Bad Quality & No Customer Service

This is a nightmare of a company to deal with. I have personal experience of buying a 12' tree from Balsam Hill at a cost of around $2000. The biggest mistake I made last year. Once you have bought your Christmas tree from them it all goes downhill from then on. Lights burn out and whole sections stop working. They have very little technical support and customer service is there just to blow you out. That's if you are lucky enough to speak to anyone. They always seem to have some kind of excuse and are happy to tell you that you will get a call-back. You never do. The light bulbs on their trees are unique to them so when you get a problem you have to try (and 'try' is the key word) to get replacements. That doesn't happen. If you attempt a credit card chargeback they place your file on an internal blacklist because they moke note about everything. They have the nerve to say their customer's are rude, when that is not true. Balsam Hill is a shady outfit. The internet is full of negative reviews about this company. Just go Google the words "Balsam Hill Complaint" and you will see dozens of complaints. The Better Business Bureau has them listed with over 50 recent complaints. Even the Facebook page of Balsam Hill is full of unhappy customers (until they delete the comments). My advice is to stay away from Balsam Hill and their web site www.balsamhill.com because their products are nothing but trouble. One of their customers has even built a web site about them warning others to stay away. It is www.balsamhillsucks.com

Rip off

Balsam Hill is a complete Rip-Off...if you are even thinking about buying a tree from this company, please do yourself a favor. DON'T DO IT. IF YOU CHECK BBB.ORG AND READ THE COMPLAINTS, YOU DEFINITELY WON'T ORDER FROM THEM. ALSO, GOOGLE: BALSAM HILL COMPLAINTS AND YOU WON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT IT TWICE. IT'S THE WORST EXPERIENCE I'VE EVER HAD. SAVE YOURSELF THE AGGRAVATION. DON'T ORDER FROM THEM.

POOR QUALITY - BAD CUSTOMER SERVICE

This is one of the worst e-commerce retailers out there. They just don't care about their products or their customers. I spent $2000 on a 12' tree from Balsam Hill. It arrived defective and has continuous lighting problems. This year more than 2000 out of the 4000 light bulbs do not work. Balsam Hill just says, oh well, you have to do maitenence now and again. The tree was bought at the end of 2009. Its in its second season this year. Balsam Hill is full of excuses and promises to call you back or send spare parts. Its all false promises. Once they have your money they just don't care. The Better Business Bureau shows dozens of complaints about Balsam Hill. Actually, all you have to do is Google the words "Balsam Hill Complaint" or "Balsam Hill Reviews" and you will find hundreds of unhappy customers. One customer has a dedicated web site called www.balsamhillsucks.com ! Please, do not but a Christmas tree from Balsam Hill. It will be the worst experience you have. Its a shame the recession didn't wipe-out this shady outfit!

• Go
    gogo101 Dec 10, 2012

Balsam Hill - Defective lights! Purchased a 9 foot pre-lit clear/colored lights option tree in 2009. Put it up the first year fairly easily and it looked great for that season. Took care in taking it down and storing it... have never had the same experience again since. 2010, couldn't for the life of me put the right plugs together to get the all clear or all color option to work so I just kept it lit with all lights for that year. 2011, took me 4 days to get the tree lights plugged correctly!!! I should have quit on day one and thrown it away because even after I got it together, half of the lights burned out! Here we are in 2012 and I'm spending hours cutting all of the light strands off the tree with wire snips. I spent over $1300 originally and I do not want to throw it away because I feel guilty about spending money on something that I know I can remedy. I am going to go back to the old fashioned method of stringing the lights on just the way I did before when I had my $99 Target Christmas tree that was tried and true for almost 20 years prior to buying this overpriced and unreliable pile of SH;T from Balsam Hill. Oh, and back in 2010, I tried to call customer service and couldn't get through to anyone to compain to!

Tree looks nothing Like Picture

I bought the tree in the middle of the year the picture of the tree was this full amazing full tree beautiful - a 600.00 plus tree on sale for 50% - mid year sale - and of course Oprah (i knew then I should have been weary) endorses the company. Well Christmas has come - in the middle of decorating my mother in law passes away - this tree is the skinnies thing you will ever see - the middle pole is like rainbow in color - I spent a total of 12 hrs "fluffy" this tree and nothing can make this "Charlie Brown" tree come alive - it is so skinny it is sad - well all they can say is tough - sorry - to bad - a %349.50 investment and mind you this is an investment gone BAD - I am not asking for a refund mind you - I am asking for another tree - BUT NO way - you got this lousy tree lady to bad. What kind of service is that - ROTTEN - I say - stay away from Balsam Hill or if you are Buying - IMMEDIATELY open up the package and get the tree out and look it over carefully - you most probably WILL be disappointed.

• Ba
    balsamhillsucks Dec 21, 2010

Balsam Hill Trees - Bad Quality & No Customer Service - 12' VERMONT SPRUCE

• Yo
    Yodaladyhoo Dec 24, 2010

We purchased in 2007. I think the original poster got off lucky! I paid full price for mine and it is the most deformed looking thing. Each section tilts in a different direction that I am amazed that all of the pieces can connect. Our tree actually does pass as a real tree only because no one can believe that a company would intentionally make something so freakishly crooked. It would be funny if not for the outrageous price tag of 700. plus dollars for an 8' tree. The customer service for this company is the worst and, frankly, I'm surprised that they are still in business. I've seen trees in Big Lots that were prettier than mine. Thank goodness there are so many lights on it that it can literally blind you to the imperfection...OK, not really...it's still freakishly crooked.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices