Complaints & Reviews

slamming your business

I had never been late on a payment or not returned something that they ask me too. Until one day I do a return and they wont process it as they did past. then they tell me I am on a bad credit list. thus for, my customers had to wait a while for their money back, and I could not process my next order until avon reimbursed me. one customer who threw away used hair removal strips will still not get her money back, because in the middle of things avon changed their rules and demand you send back used nasty hair strips, which in the past we were told they were to be discarded. now I can not get them to remove the rma which I wanted credit for and they would not give me. and they owe me a credit which they will not release until I send them the nasty hair strips that the lady threw away. I finally placed an order and they sent me used cosmetics, which I had to turn around and pay to send back to get credit, and I had to wait 6 weeks for the credit. my customers usually only wait 2 weeks between campaigns, but unless you are rich, Avon will put you out of business and find away to keep any credits they owe you.

Jeane Ruddy Nov 07, 2010

I was also told to not return any product that had been "contaminated" in other words, used. Well, I was sending a bunch of stuff back anyway so I included the items in a separate bag. Weird thing they did give me a credit for that stuff but they didn't include others items that I had returned. It is a BS organization taking advantage of anyone that will let them.

shady reps.

Do not let this person in your house!!!

My now ex-friend / avon representitve and I threw an avon products party at my house (Kinda like a candle party) and she stole items from the attending guests including my wallet, id, ss card, credit cards, and $200 cash! Beware of who you let into your home, and keep your money hidden from this girl. Avon apparently doesn't have a complaints dept. To get her ### fired through, so if you are interested in avon cosmetics, and hear her name.. Let this be a red flag to you!!!

shady reps.

Jenaleee Sep 18, 2010

that's just awful. So sorry you had to go thru that :(

problems and honesty

To all past, present and future avon reps, beware is all I can say. Have you had problems with customer service? Have you had problems with ez returns? Have you had problems with managers? Have you been billed for products and not receiving them? Have you had problems getting credits applied to your account? My answer to all of these is yes! Is yours?
I would really love to hear your complaints and problems concerning being an avon rep. Please, email me at: honesty.[protected]@yahoo.com as soon as possible. The more responses I have the better. That's all I can say at the moment. Hope to hear from you all soon and god bless!!

candysnap Apr 11, 2013

yes yes yes all of the above, how come this company has not been closed down and still allowed to trade

candysnap Apr 11, 2013

avon should not be allowed to trade if this was a shop they would be sued or closed down

this is too complicated to be fun

This company does not know how to use the Internet to make the selling experience fulfilling, fun, or just plain easy. They have an ancient accounting system (I believe they still use mainframe computers) and their customer service reps are guaranteed a job as long as they keep their fulfillment system complicated.

It is difficult to understand the charges on the prnted invoices or online. Their descriptions are vague such as "additional order" and "order processing fee" (which is duplicated many times thus adding to the "total" that they are "owed").

Their customer service staff is very nice and helpful but they are in India or Philippines and are working from a script. You must go thru them before you get someone who is a "supervisor" who will then have some knowledge and ability to do anything for you.

Often I have had people hang up on me so I have to call back and go through the entering account number & listening to their constant "commercials" while you wait. Only to have to give my account number yet again when the agent comes on the phone. If I enter the account number why doesn't the system recognize me?

If you have nothing else to do with your life and want to jump through the hoops and takethe "online training" which does not tell you about contingencies, go ahead. But if you want to do this part time figure on spending hours and hours on the phone and on their pathetic web site to figure out what to do and what you owe.

I began by sending my customers to the web site thinking they will have an easy time ... to my chagrin, they told me they had a very difficult time navigating the site. The site is really constructed for representatives, but even for us it is like jumping thru hoops.

I often told the CS folks to change the site to make it easier to use like using Amazon or any other store that has a web presence. They are using a brick and mortar mentality on the web and in my estimation, that is a waste of time and energy.

I feel sorry for you if you have had problems. I just quit this because it made me angry every time I tried to process simple orders. IT is really a nightmare. There is enough drama in my life without having to wrestle with Avon. I'm out and I'm relieved.

I suggest you spread the word all over the Internet if you have trouble. Maybe thenthey will come into the 21st century and make it easier for reps, customers and maybe even their own staff ... although they will most likely have to get rid of customer service agents if it is made to be easier. There's the rub ...

• Co
    CowboysFanInMourning Nov 11, 2010

Hi IvyGrad.

Sorry you had this frustrating experience. If you want to make some extra cash on skin care, send me a message through this site.

Zero pressure. I'll just give you a link to my website, then if you want more info, you can call me.

Best Wishes, T.

• Sc
    screwedovergurl Apr 20, 2011

Let me tell you, if your thinking about selling Avon, FORGET IT!! You can't make a profit to save your life, the billing is shady at best and they have the nerve to tell you that you can't sell the items on ebay. Now get this. I had orders which were not paid for, so because I'm a disabled person who can't get out to sell, I listed them on ebay.. only to have Avon have them taken off. I was told by ebay that it was because of the pictures I was using. So no big deal I spent a lot of time taking pictures of my products, editing and posting them on ebay only to find out that Avon doesn't allow this either. I got a hot email from them informing me that as a rep I'm not allowed to sell on ebay at all. So I called Avon to get a better understanding of why. I was told that not only are reps not allowed to sell Avon on ebay, but NO ONE.. NO HOW, NO WAY is premitted to sell Avon in any form or fashion on ebay or any other auction website or third pary website outside of the little crappy website they give you. Now ain't that a kick in the head. I informed them that there are and have been people selling TONS of Avon on ebay, one needs only type Avon in the search area and a multitude of Avon products pop up. She then gave me some bull and ### story saying that they work to stop people from selling Avon on ebay but it would take too much man power to stop them all. So what I can't undestand is how come they haven't stopped the people who have been selling it for YEARS under the same ebay IDs. I can see them maybe not being able to catch the newer IDs, but the one's that's been doing it for many many years w/out even having their accounts suspended or acutons taken down? Come on, I was born at night... but not last night. Further more who are they to tell anyone that they can't products which they've spent their hard earned money on in any honest way they can. I can see if I were altering the products in some way to make them unfit or faulty. As I told them I can't have unpaid for merchandise just stacking up at my house and being disabled and unable to get out I had to move it some how. But that didn't fly w/ them. So it all boils dowon to money. As long as they get paid for the product they don't care what happens to the little man that's doing all the work to sell it or even if the reps makes a profit off it at all. It's I got mine... now you go figure out how to get yours... and by the way, screw you. Lastly I just wanna ask would it make sense if you bought a car and then decided to sell it on ebay, would the maker have the right to tell you that you can't sell this car because it was being sold on a thrid party website? NOOO! Once you buy something and pay for it, it's yours free and clear and you have the right to do w/ it anything you see fit. Oh, and least I forget about the two months it took just for me to get signed up and having to pay extra for it because the dist manager orabout that. Figures who ever couldn't be bothered to show up for four different appoints she herself scheducled for me to come to. And you better bet when I cancelled my rep account I surely asked for that extra money back. After all I was told that I'd get a rebate of the extra cost when I first signed up. Here it is months later and I still haven't gotten it to this day. I guess they conveniently forgo about that. Right!

avoid working for them

I work as a rep for avon, its only been 3 months but ive had so many problems its unbelieveable, they send wrong product take ages to send the correct products, dont keep you informed of the situation when items are out of stock and when they will be in stock. They mess up taking payment and make stupid excuses blaming everybody but them selves. They dont reply to emails. The operators at the call centre dont speak english, so there is a language barrier, basically they are a nightmare to work for.

catro92 Jun 17, 2010

I was with them for a year, and it has been one of the most expensive horrible experiences of my life. they still owe me a credit and are trying to get out of paying it.

• Ad
    adonohoo Jun 03, 2011

i have had the EXACT SAME PROBLEMS! Not to mention I always end up owing more money when i place orders. like they will give me the estimated total, and I will check it out and do my own math to make sure its correct, but then a week after i get the products i get an email saying i owe like ten bucks more, and when i ask them why, all they will tell me is its "because the first total was only an estimated total based on what i oredered" and wont even listen to me when i try to tell them i did the math, made sure the promotions were correct and they were wrong. All they did in return was threaten to send collections for the ten bucks i owed. RIDICULOUS!

shortages/backorders

I have been an avon representative for 5 years and made the president's club for the first time this year. My biggest complaint is the shortages and backorders. What is the deal with this? Avon is a multimillion dollar industry. I am so sure they do not make enough products to meet the customers demands. I always put in between $600 and $800 orders, but avon only sends me between $250 and $300 of my products. This leaves me with a profit of just $75 or $100 instead of $300 or $400 like I am supposed to profit. I am so fed up with the shortages of my products. They are always either "not available" or will be shipped at a later campaign. This makes the representative look bad. How are we supposed to build the customers trust if half their product is missing? I think this is just a way for avon to keep the representatives from making so much money. That is the reason I just made the president's club, otherwise, I would have made it since I started. Avon is a scam, they make money buy holding our product so that we won't profit. I would not recommend selling avon. You put so much time and effort into it and you end up looking unprofessional because of the shortages and backorders.

• Ms
    ms perez Apr 12, 2010

Dear SPM79
    Thank you very much for your Monica Lewinsky advice. Are you speaking from personal experience? Is that how you service your customers? I guess that tells me what you do for a living. I hope you invest in some great knee pads. With your line of work, you will surely need them. Good luck being on your knees you sucker you. Have a great one...

Dear Irish,
    That was a very educated piece of advice you gave me. Did you have to look these words in the dictionary so you could spell them correctly? I hope next time, someone can help you with the big words. I would advice you to invest in a dictionary. You desperately need one. Have a great one...

catro92 Jun 17, 2010

This ruined my business also. By the time the merchandise arrived, my customers either didnt have the money to pay for it or they changed their mind. sometimes it would take up to 3months. I was told that they give it to the highest in rank and dribble down whats left. However if they did it the opposite, everyone would profit.

delayed billing rip off

I signed up with avon with thinking this is to good to be true. Instant credit, cheap books, $10.00 to start, delayed billing... Well it was. I ordered product for the christmas season and my sales were dismal. I send back what I didn't sell. Avon and I played the "shortages game" and when the games were done they said I owed $205.00 and some change. I was thinking ok they just need to settle all my returns. Wrong... I made the mistake of ordering watches on the delayed billing system. I returned these watches to avon along with the other items before they billed. I have called avon four times, wrote a letter with the invoices, circles and highlights that they asked for and still... They will not call, ad knowledge, or fix my invoice (Other than you owe us). So, what will happen is I will have to pay them and tell everyone I know what a low grade company avon is. And my district manager is a joke. She will email me telling me to place and order and pay (For what I do not owe or have). But, she will not help me to fix this problem (Even though she says "let me know if there is a problem so I can help). She is rude at the meetings and will not address the reps. Questions. They also added another $42.50 to my bill for not paying what I do not owe. Oh and when you call india for help... These people are as helpful as my district manager. I ordered product for six campaigns and have not made a dime with avon. I am not impressed with the products (There is a reason it is cheap) , and do not recommend selling their product unless you want end up paying in the end.

• De
    Deborah Severns Feb 27, 2010

I am in the middle of the same battle, however, Avon says they never received any of the items in the 4 boxes that I had sent throught UPS, even though I have all the tracking information.

This problem is apparently gone to the Legal Department, however, I am not able to get to read the two page e-mail that was sent to my District Manager on it. I am unit leader and they made me feel like a criminal.

I will be calling the President's office on Monday to find out if I am entitled to any information regarding my account.

Deborah

• Al
    Almost Taken May 04, 2010

Avon sent me an email that my order had been mailed. What order? I received a huge box via UPS full of skin care items that Avon decided to send me on their "Delayed Billing" system. I have emailed them over and over telling them that I never placed an order. They said that I have to return the items and pay for the shipping. HUH? What kind of game are they playing anyhow? I told them to contact UPS and have them pick this box up pronto. I am so mad I can't see straight. What right do they have to use my account number to order products and then just send them to my house and expect me to either pay up or send them back? What a crazy company

angryavongurl May 05, 2010

AVON has sent me to collections for 370.30. I returned products that were on delayed billing ( ten days before they billed). After letters, five phone calls requesting a detailed statement. I got a collection notice. Good Luck hope they don't rip off another person.

• Gi
    ginge Jun 16, 2011

i have been working as an avon rep for a week, i handed out brochures took in my orders and emailed them in. all looked good. I recieved my products and have been delivering them and recieving the payment, as i have been counting iv'e noticed its not quite right. i went over invoice with close scrutiny and noticed they have addaed an item that i have never recieved.
    so i'm expected to pay £9 for something i never ordered or recieved, thus leaving me with the grand total earnings of £7 and iv'e slogged it out for the past fortnight. fed up, irritated and annoyed! ram it avon

• Gi
    ginge Jun 16, 2011

a before

being scammed as an avon rep

Basically I signed up to become an avon representative because I believed it would be a good way to make some extra money, however I soon found out that it was a lot of work for very little reward. I was often called by avon sales representatives selling products to me, to which I said I was not interested. However during my holidays in 09 I was sent reese wetherspoon perfumes, which I could sell to make money, however I had not asked for the products and had declined them being sent out and explained that I no longer wished to be an avon representative as I no longer had the time. I was not sure about what to so I left the products in my room untouched, after a while I had noticed on my avon account that I had been charged 30 pound for the perfumes, so I rang up avon and said that the products were still here and if I sent them back, would that take the charge off. They said that would be no problem and that they would send a driver out to collect them on a particular day. However on this day he did not turn up, and I had also been charged a 10 pound late payment charge for not paying the 30 pound charge for the perfumes. However the 30 pound had been taken off but I still had the perfumes in my possession. So I rang up again and told them what had happened and they said they would send another driver out on a particular day to pick them up, he also did not turn up and a couple of days later I received a letter saying that due to not paying the fees they had black listed my credit rating, obviously at 19 this isnt a very good thing to hear, even at any age. So my mam eventually decided that as they werent taking me seriously that she would ring up, as black listing can cause problems when I want a mortage or to lend money later in life. She rang up and they said they understood the issue and that for the 3rd time they would send someone out to pick the perfumes up. I was extra cautious and put the perfumes (Which were in a box) on the step so if I missed him he could just take them, luckily I had done this because he came a day earlier than the schedueled date. I was told that he would give me a bar code from the products so that I could prove that they had been collected, however because he had taken them without me there he had just left a calling card to say he had picked them up. So I rang up avon and explained and she said that was fine the account would be cleared. However I have checked my account today as I wanted to make sure and had found out that they have recharged me 30 pound for not sending the perfumes back. This is still ongoing and has been since august last year.
I advise anyone thinking that becoming an avon rep really not to bother, it has caused me more trouble than it is worth and could effect my future, over 30 pound, which I had refused to pay because it is such a unfair way to get money out of people. At 19 I dont have money to pull out for avon, and have stuck by it as this was not my fault. They really do try and scam u out of money, my avon leader who was meant to help me has because more of a hindrance and refuses to help me in any way. People nowadays find it so much easier to buy off the internet so why will they wait for an avon rep to get around everyone and take a week or so to have their goods delivered when they can order off the internet and have it within a couple of days. I never made more than 40 pound with avon, and I can safely say it was not worth my trouble!!!
Dont become an avon representative, it really isnt worth it!

Avon Rep NY Feb 21, 2010

Very interesting. It seems that Avon has the same problems in the UK as it does here in the US. I became an Avon Rep for the 2009 Christmas season. I was also an e-rep for a short 3 days, until I was almost scammed out of $1200, which Avon doesn't tell you about in their e-training modules. (This is a very well known scam) When I called Avon, for help, because I thought I had a virus on my site as well, they told me to call my ISP. (Real support!!) Every order I received, had some kind of screw-up. There were shortages, overcharges, wrong product #s, etc. in addition, everything comes all jumbled together, so it takes hours to separate and check off the items that belong to a particular customer. i called my regional leader - a few times no response. Never did speak with her directly. I sent an item back to them for credit in Nov. They charged me shipping for this. i just received a letter from GA telling me they never received it. How can they bill me for shipping charges on an item they never received back? Not only is Avon support terrrible, but they charge for everything. They charge for catalogues, they charge for samples, they even charge a fee for placing an order with them. The rep pays all the marketing, administrative and fuel costs, and Avon collects a hefty profit.
    What I particulary resent though, is the fact that they outsource all their customer service calls, have a new VP of sales, who is foreign, and love to talk about how the company is for women, by women - when the majority of their top Executives are male. (check out their website).
    In closing, I would like to say that the final straw was when I decided only to worry about ordering anything more from Avon, until I wanted to place a small order for myself. My account was completely paid up, and I don't have the time to waste placing orders with them for little or no profit. Well, last week I received a totally unsolicited order from Avon, along with a bill for $9.00. The order was for catalogues, which, I found out was placed by my "leader". When I complained about this via email, the leader informed me that a "helper" transposed my account number for another, and so the order was sent by mistake. This was an outright lie. I was told by Avon customer service that the leader placed the order, and I had also received an email that my account was in danger of being closed because either I had not ordered, or I was past due.
    Well, I wasn't past due, and they don't have the right to close my account for inactivity, so I emailed my leader that I would close my account when I wanted to do so, and that I expected her to come and pick up the items she had sent me, as I wasn't going to pay for shipping them back. She left me a message that I could keep the items, or use them, and she would make sure I got credit. I did get the credit on my account, but I won't be surprised if I get rebilled for the $9.00. Also, i want to keep my account open until I'm positive. If there is any bad reports from Avon on my credit, there will be real trouble. I think Avon is reprehensible, and that they should change their motto to "a company that emploits women."

• Ka
    kapara5 Mar 30, 2010

While I am glad I am not alone with my thoughts and concerns about AVON I am sorry that there are others out there like me! The final straw for me was when multiple customer started having allergic reactions to products and I was expected to refund them in full for their returns (regardless of how much product is left in the contianer AVON stands behind the return policy) That sucked for me with little to no profits from all of this and now I had to dish back to a customer $100+ dollars. So yes, I did the online EZ return and got some credit for the product (not what i refunded)then after talking to Customer Service more than 4 times (ps theyARE outsourced - that was a kickin the ### - Nice American Company huh?!) I decided to return everything I had from AVON using this same method and I UPS'd it all back - I got a letter 3 weeks ago stating that the products I had returned were not received in yet and that I should return them! Well I checked the tracking number with UPS and it shows delivered! So AGAIN I had to call CS in INDIA and talk to someone who simply follows a computer script and had NO CLUE how to help me other than to tell me to wait for 6 weeks after the ship date for my full refund. My blood pressure is now through the roof - there is no way to get adequate help - my local people are idiots and know less thatn I do...They didn't know the Customer Service was even outsourced! I do not understand how this continues with out some form of investigation!

• Mo
    Moi2lov Jun 26, 2010

After many years in and out of Avon I learned a few things.
    Don't bother with the fast talk of making big $$$.
    Don't bother with up line, down lines and getting others to sign up. As for the web site for your Avon at $15 a month its a waste.
    Don't buy anything on the demo sheets unless you can really resale it, gift it or actually want it.
    Your first 4 when you get 40%-50% off buy 100 plus books and take them out. Tossing books in drive ways and in yards is so wrong. Use the door hanging bags.
    Get Avon brochure parties going and make it work for you.
    100 places on line list "where to leave a brochure"
    Avon is a job... Just like a job its an 8 hour a day.
    If customers buy the basic, skin care, bath, shower, hair and body stuff than buy up extra when its on sale.
    Do a print out of 100 uses for skin so soft oil and 50 uses of Bubble Bath.
    Any new perfume or bundle items out, put a sticker on those pages 5%-10% off. Make the brochures work for you.
    Use free advertising... Put a sign up in your yard "Avon".
    It take 1-3 years to grow any business. There no quick start up. I been back in Avon for 10 months. $650 in debt... Finally in 2 days almost $200 in stock items out the door sold. Thats from just 2 customers !
    1 more month Im out of debt.
    I keep a shelving unit with the basics.
    Basic are what people buy every month at any store.
    You can always back order for lower prices.
    You can skip 2-3 orders without being dropped by Avon.
    Yesterday a customer wanted a watch $35,
    I got it in another Avon brochure for $12.99 and she ended up buying over $100 off my stock.
    All MLM they never tell you the facts.
    Its recruit, buy it all and sell.
    After a few months you quit.
    I hope this helps others from what i have learned from errors.

AVONhelper Oct 31, 2010

Couple things:

1) AVON must be run as a business, as any other business. Do not invest in bags, tons of brochures, demos, samples, etc. until your business grows or unless you have funds up front to invest. Check prices of franchises and other businesses and see what costs there are. AVON's are very, very minor in comparison, plus oyu don't even need all those things to get started. Use brown paper lunch bags or recycled bags form the local grocer. Brochures have scratch and sniffs, so no need for samples. Create your own flyers using images from AVON's website pages and distribute those with creative offers. Search online for samples of flyers (Microsoft has free ones to download in Word, edit and print.

2) Don't handle costly returns. Send the shoppers directly to AVON:

Customer Service:

* Customer Service email: [email protected]
    * Product Information Center: 800-445-2866
    * Avon.com Customer Service: 800-500-2866
    * mark™ Customer Service: 866-633-8627

You are not required to handle everyone's messes, so no need to clean them up. Just tell the people you are not set up for processing and handling the funding of them directly.

3) Find more tips like these with online searches.

Hope that helps!

avon invisible light concealer

I recently purchased avon invisible light concealer from avon cosmetics. I used the product on 2 small spots on the 12th jan by the 14th jan the spots had turned into the size of 1pence pieces and over the next few days a few more appeared too. They are very sore and big. I went to my local walk in centre on 15th jan as my skin on my face was raw, red and inflammed. The doctor told me that I have had a serious allergic reaction to the concealer and prescribed me with steriod cream, a 7 day course of antibiotics, and moisturising cream. I've become a prisoner in my own house now as i'm very upset with my appearance to venture outside. I have emailed avon and am still waiting for a reply from them its been 2 days!!! I feel as a customer that I have been let down, and I certainly don't want anyone else to have to go through this.

avon invisible light concealer

• Hu
    Hurley114433 Jul 29, 2010

I can't seem to understand why you would blame Avon for your allergic reaction. I've had an allergic reaction to Mary Kay's medium coverage foundation and that's that. I just don't use it. You, as a consumer, should have known that you bought it you, you have to deal with the fact you might be allergic. You can't blame Avon for that, their products are amazing.

You had a reaction to one of their products, as have many. Don't go blaming Avon and smearing their name because you've had a bad reaction. If that was the case, I'd have the right to smear MK's name, but I won't. Now I'm careful that the one ingredient that was in their product I don't get in any other product.

Jenaleee Sep 18, 2010

Try calling them. No company responds immediately to an email. You will be lucky to get an email back in a week. Do you know how many people email a company daily???
    You are allergic. It happens and yes it sucks.
    Call them, don't sit and complain that they aren't emailing you fast enough.
    If you can't leave the house because of a few spots on your face, I'd say there are more serious problems than just some makeup you can't wear. That is a self-esteem issue.
    I have acne scarring and leave my house every day...even without makeup.
    Best of luck to you.

paid for 11/02/09 have no avon

I am a very unhappy person about the funraising that was done with Avon and I am a big one for Avon. However at Union Educational Complex in Mt. Storm, WV there was a fundraising for the cheerleading which is under Rhonda Nichols, [protected] and her sister Joy, [protected]. I placed an order from one of the girls that selling this Avon for the fundraising for the amount of $53.41 on Nov.02, 2009. Here it is De.14, 2009 and no Avon. I called both girls up and they gave me all sorts of excuses such as there was no order turned in from me and I know there was, I have the check from the bank from where Rhonda Nichols put her name on the part of the check "pay to the order of" so I know the girls have my money for my Avon or just cashed the check and not ordered it. This a bit ridiculous and not right. I know for a fact that Joy has hauled around Avon in the trunk of her car when the temperatures was really cold here. So I know when Avon has been froze or kept at a room temperature. So either I get my Avon before Friday Dec.17, 2009 or I want my $53.41 returned to me. I will not order or give Rhonda and Joy no good reference for selling your product.

• Cj
    CJQns Feb 08, 2010

I just want to say that I have been a avid Avon customer for over 20 years. I laud the fact that you have finally stepped up in the type of products that you distribute. I just have a small complaint, you may call me a hoarder as I am a horder of cosmetics. On a weekly basis I purchase up to $35-$50.00 in Avon products--Yes, weekly; I look so forward to receiving my products the following week from my representative but, it is truly disheartening that every single week something is missing from my order and/or Avon does not have the item in stock. Why does Avon continually advertise products they do not have when representatives arrive to pick up the orders. I went through the same thign with another representative I had a few years back; now I'm going through it with my new representative. This becomes truly frustrating for me as there are times in which I make up birthday baskets for individuals and/or holiday gifts. That one missing item can make a big difference in the baskets which I arrange for them.

catwebb Mar 05, 2010

Isn't it possable these girls selling the products for cheerleading got your products and just didn't deliever them to you? Maybe they used them or accidentaly gave them to someone else and are scared to tell you. The Avon representatives take the order from them cheerleaders and put them in. They have to trust that the cheerleaders give them your order and your money.

"Why does Avon continually advertise products they do not have" to answer this: it is impossable for a company to know how much of any product they will sell. Sometimes there is more demand for products than they had expected. This is like getting mad at walmart for being out of oranges. However I have found if I order off of the representatives website it is less likely to be unavaliable because it comes from a different wearhouse with more stock.

backorders/shortss

I have been a representative for 14 1/2 years and I am totally fed up with the amount of back orders and...

rude representative

I purchased some eye shadow and a tube of lipstick from an avon rep. This rep is a relative of mine and for some reason she has been nasty towards me for some time now, like years, for whatever reason, I don't know. I went to pick up my items and she was ranting and raving because it took me a couple of weeks to get my products. Ranting and raving about if I wrote a check and it bounced that the bank would charge me fees and she was charging me an extra $10 and that when someone doesn't pay for their products she has to pay for them. I told her why would I write her a check that was going to bounce. I was paying cash for my products. I told her she was acting like I owed her $100 or something. My order was for $12.50. (i did not pay her an extra $10). She was crying over $12.50 cents. And on top of that she threw my products at me. They didn't hit me; they landed on the floor. That is unacceptable behavior for someone representing a company they are selling products for.

So, therefore, I will not order any more avon products from this rep. If there is something I need, which there is only one product of theirs that I use on a regular basis, I will most likely order via internet and have it shipped directly to me.

Also, I am thinking about calling avon headquarters and letting them know of this incident with their rep. Throwing my products at me.

• Tl
    tlbwrite Nov 28, 2009

I'm sorry you experienced such unprofessional and rude behavior. As an AVON representative, let me first emphasize that her behavior is in no way indicative of how most representatives conduct themselves. She did not act appropriately and truly showed her lack of customer service skills and professionalism.

If her sales were low, then she may have flipped out because she had to pay for your product out of pocket when her campaign payment was due. (Very few representatives actually make much of a profit selling AVON, so she was probably taking out her financial woes on you, the very last person she should be attacking.) Her comment about bounced check fees makes me think that perhaps her payment to AVON bounced? At any rate, even if she was upset over having to part with her own money to pay the bill or even if she had a bounced paymnet, there is a way she could have coded the items in your order to avoid upfront payment. (She could have processed your order as a return, and then had it re-billed after you actually picked it up.) In a nutshell, there is no excuse for her behavior. Attacking customers is certainly not a way to secure ongoing relationships with customers, and it certainly does not encourage repeat business.

I would most definitely contact customer service to find out who her District Sales Manager is. Perhaps the sales manager needs to get in touch with her to educate her on the ins and outs of appropriate customer service, as well as ordering and payment basics.

She mistreated you, and on behalf of all of us AVON representatives who do care about our customers, I am very sorry for your poor treatment! Hopefully you can avoid this in the future by doing the direct delivery option. But let me caution you that ordering off her web site will give her commission from your orders. I recommend finding a new representative in your area and then placing direct delivery orders off her web site, instead.

AvonMarianne Feb 27, 2010

First off as a Canadian Avon rep, the way you were treated is unprofessional.
    She could have simply requested you to pay up front and if she had a beef of you paying with a check she should have said so from the beginning.

I don't normally take checks unless I am comfortable with the person giving me one and I always inquire before cashing the check if its okay to cash it on the said date on the check just in case funds get low for some reason.

Throwing the products is bad business practice. If she was having a bad day, she should not have taken it out on you. It is not your fault that you as a customer are ordering products from her. It's a bad business practice to tolerate that behaviour. I would never do that.
    I have encountered bad customers in the past but I never have thrown any products at them nor will I ever.

If she was stressing out about money concerns. If she wanted to, you and her could have both agreed to pay for the products in advance if you had the money.

But as you said: Complain to head office. They will not tolerate that experience.
    Also contact her District Sales Manager. If you live relatively close to her you can use the Rep page: www. avon.com to find out who her District Sales Manager is and tell them of your experience.
    They may need to contact her directly and perhaps you are not the first person that got freaked out on.

I hope you do continue to purchase Avon from other reps. You may in turn just want to start it up as a side business like myself. I am a full-time employee doing this on the side.

Glad you shared your experience. I wouldn't want to tolerate that either if I was a customer or a family relation.

Take Care of yourself always

• St
    Stacey Hurden Apr 28, 2010

I have to agree with the comments from the other Avon Reps. I am one myself and I take pride in doing anything I can to appease my customers. With family I usually don't take money upfront, but if its a new customer I may or I may take a deposit. She could have very easily taken a prepayment or deposit. All that aside, please do not let her behavior hinder your vision of Avon as a whole. Avon is a great company that supports many great causes including Breast Cancer Awareness and the fight against Domestic Violence Against Women.
    I don't know if you ever found another rep or not, and I don't know where you are located, but feel free to browse my site and yes, you CAN have it delivered by direct mail to your doorstep.

Best wishes.
    Stacey Hurden
    www.youravon.com/shurden
    [email protected]

do not sell avon

Do not sell avon... They are a rip off!!! I sold for about 1 1/2 years or so. Had a few regular customers but unless you put alot of time and effort into it, forget it. I have a "more than full time" job and wanted to sell avon to help supplement paying bills etc. Ended up being a losing venture for me. You have to pay for everything... Catalogues, bags, samples, shipping for returned items. No real support from rep... They only support those that are big sellers!! Oh well, you live and you learn!!!

• Gy
    GypsyIzayoi Nov 02, 2009

What are you talking about? I have been selling for 2 years and I no longer work at all-- I completely support myself on AVON. Mary Kay is a rip off..

• Sl
    sleemanmcg May 11, 2010

Heh, my wife gets harrassed by these people daily. That's what ya get when you're not good at saying no.

• Ti
    Tikeya Aug 30, 2010

I agree with the original poster. The commercials make it sound like the perfect work-from-home opportunity, and MAYBE it is if you're actually gonna use the door-to-door approach and literally hand brochures to EVERYBODY you see. Avon reps have to pay out of pocket for way too much stuff, in my opinion (brochures, samples, being an eRepresentative, returning items back to Avon). They have a very liberal return policy, yet the reps are the ones who end up having to pay out of pocket to ship that item back to Avon...not cool at all. Another thing I didn't like is that now in all of the brochures, they have an entire page dedicated to persuading customers into working for Avon as well! Um, if I'm known as the Avon lady in my neighborhood, I definitely don't want to have my next door neighbor suddenly signing up to work for Avon. And the funny thing is that my next door neighborhood just told me that she's thinking of selling Avon...lol. Luckily, she informed me of this after I had already made the decision to quit. Anyway, that's awesome though that there are actually people making good money selling Avon...keep up the good work!

thowing booklets on driveway

Once a quarter I receive a Avon catelog on my drive way - unsolicited. I finally called Allison Roe (the...

return policy

I had purchased a travel bag from avon and when the rep handed me the bag I looked it over and realized that...

representative

I went online to Avon.com to sign up to be a representative. Well about two weeks later I never received a...

rip off

I wanna get this out there to people who are trying to get extra money and are thinking of becoming an avon rep. Don't do it unless you wanna get ripped off like I did!!!

I recently sold avon on different occasions to try to get extra money for my husband and i. So I contacted the representative that was on the back of the avon book that my husband brought home to me and I set up my avon account put the books out and later on found out from my husband that the places the books went they were gone. So I thought okay maybe I will start getting calls or emails with avon. Boy was I dead wrong... The next day my husband goes back to work and sees about two dozen more avon books and they weren't mine. So then I went ahead and tried to contact the district manager for her help. Did I get response back for help? No! Instead I get emails telling me about upcoming things that have to do with the
Company. Then I get a phone call letting me know about the conference call tomorrow night (6/17/2009). I thought okay now I can let them know how I feel no big deal. Then I get a call about an hour later telling me that I can't place anymore orders etc. Because of an issue that happened 3 years ago which was not my fault so I called to try to get the problem fixed. I go to make the phone call but did I get to talk to someone to fix the problem. Again no... They decided to play tennis with me having me go on a wild goose chase and call a bunch of other numbers. They just didn't want to hear my problem. So that's why i'm trying to get the word out to other consumers not to go to work for avon because they will rip you off in a heart beat

You will get overcharged and you will put out more money than you bring in!!! And im not the only one who had the problem i've had several other former representatives tell me that they had the same problem with avon

MAR3 Jul 22, 2009

Nonniemouse, it violates your agreement with Avon to sell Avon licensed products on eBay. I'm surprised they haven't suspended your account. Which if your DM ever gets it in her mind to do, she will find a reason, trust me.

I hope the Albee statue paid for any Avon related debt and made up for stacked-up inventory in your basement ;).

• Tc
    TC Girl Sep 15, 2009

So basically you are annoyed that someone dared to put out books in the same place as you put yours? LOL Welcome to the business world, ###...it's called competition! You're not cut out for Avon, better off sitting on your butt and letting the government support you - let me guess, you're a Democrat!

• M7
    m72 Sep 19, 2009

I looked into Beauti-control. You get a great commission like 30-60%(compared to 20% and all the fees from AVON!) depending how much you sell. The makeup is not made in China and it really works and lasts a good while.
    I always look at consumer reporting and comment sites before i buy anything. I only saw 1 person that was mad at a beauty control consultant, the lady was not mad at the company or the products. her complaint was also from 2006.
    I think it is now only $99.00 to sign up, and they give you a bunch of free stuff and 50% commission off all your orders for a period of time.

AVON Ladyin CA Jan 19, 2011

People succeeed and fail at sales businesses. It is apparent that you did not fair so well with AVON, but there are countless representatives, including myself, who do very well with AVON. It just breaks my heart to see individuals tearing the name of AVON down because of their own shortcomings. For those who are interested in the business, research, ask, and learn and I can assure you that you will find the business rewarding as I have for the past 8 years.

• Cy
    Cyn66666666 Feb 04, 2011

I have /had trouble with Avon. I closed my account in April 2010. It is now February 2011. I have been called, emailed, sent packages, etc. My Dm reopened my account without my permission. After closing my account in April 2010, 10 mos later I get bills for crap I ordered in December 2010. What gives a Dm the right to reopen a closed account and place orders on it w/o permission? Sorry. I did nit order this crap, never received this crap and I am not paying for this crap. Sick and tired of call centers in India I thought you were an American company then hire American workers

• Ka
    Kaylene Rasmussen May 08, 2016

I am an Avon representative and Lately they have started ripping me off with returns. In Jan I processed a return and they claimed there was a shortage in it although I am positive that there was no shortages in my return they refused to give me credit for the item they claimed was short. Then a couple of months later I processed another return of a single item and they claimed that there was nothing in the box and reversed my refund! EXCUSE ME AVON but YOU ARE LIARS! I did not send back an empty box...
    They screw over their representatives. They are a dishonest company! I'm glad to be finished with them!

scam/fraud

Around December of 08, I had a Avon catalog hanging on my front door of my home, in the catalog was a flyer...

unauthorized billing

I had been a dedicated, hard-working avon representative for about 10 years. When I had two mini-strokes, I asked my supervisor what to do. I was told to pay what I owed, send back those items that were not wanted by customers and those I ordered personally that were not used/not opened. I did just that to the tune of over $350+. Avon had two different collections agencies claim that I owed them; one said that they received at least half a dozen complaints a day from avon representatives. I have the documentation and with this second agency and avon's refusal to let me work for them even with them owing me $70+, all the documentation and correspondence will be sent to the attorney general in maine. I'm sick of their dishonesty, their corruption, and their very nasty and negative attitude towards representatives who have only helped the company to prosper. I'm in hopes that the attorney general will set things straight - i'll get my $70+ back and avon will be reprimanded for their corrupt and unfair practices. I have told everyone I know not to buy avon, not to support them in any way. They are in the wrong!

• Br
    brittani8502 Jul 29, 2009

I had this same problem but have no idea what to do. I submitted an order and never received the order because it was put on hold and i did not continue to sell for Avon. NOw they are saying I owe $140. There were charges added on for three additional months after I stopped selling for the website, and late charges added on and I NEVER got ANY of the order so why am I having to pay??? I am so frustrated and do not know what to do! My "leader" won't respond but continues to send me letters saying I owe and now I got a letter that it was turned into collection. If anyone knows how to help me, please contact me @ [email protected]

I decided to go with Premier Designs jewelry and I LOVE IT! They are very honest and trust worthy.

• Cc
    cc05 Jul 31, 2009

"I had this same problem but have no idea what to do. I submitted an order and never received the order because it was put on hold and i did not continue to sell for Avon. NOw they are saying I owe $140"

Here are some facts for you.
    1. Avon DOES NOT charge for hold orders. They are cancelled within 10 days if the payment is not made.
    2. You signed up for the eRep site, and IF you had READ the terms and conditions, it does say you will be charged every campaign, even if you do not order, and you have to CLOSE the account not to be billed. It is seperate from your regular account.
    3. Just to "stop selling" without finding out what needs to be done to close your accounts and ensure you do not owe for previous orders leaves you wide open for past due fees AND eRep fees, not placing an order doesn't tell Avon you are not selling, especially when you are an erep, a lot of reps sell ONLY online.
    4. CALL CUSTOMER SERVICE for assistance. They can and will help.

shortages on returns

I too started avon thinking that I could make money. What a mistake!! I would not wish this nightmare I have had with them on my worst enemy.

I had my account frozen for returns after pieces came up missing (Shortgages) even though I had returned the items they told me unless I could prove it I had to pay for them.

So on my last returned box of $162.84 worth of merchandise, I placed sticky notes with the item description, rma #, and price on each one, took individual pictures, took group pictures of the items in the avon box then sealed it shut with tons of tape and all paperwork inside. Well when avon received it, they now claim that $110.49 worth of the merchandise was not in there. I promptly filed a ups claim, called the customer service phone number (Like india can help do anything for us) and called my district sales manager twice that day to let her know what's going on. Well it is currently 2 days later, no return call at all from my dsm, avon now shows those items as outstanding and india customer service told me there is nothing more I can do for over 6 weeks as I am not approved for instant credit. My bill is current, I am currently an e-rep and after reading thing, have decided that I can no longer afford this avon "business". The company has routinely shown "shortages" on my returns even though all the items were sent back. They treat me like I lie for a living and when I tell them I have pictures of the items they get panic stricken on the phone and customer service told me they were there but I would have to wait 6 weeks for them to "process through"!! Yea just one more joke. My next call is going to the attorney general of texas because these kind of fraudulent business practices need to be put to an end somehow someway!!

If you have had similar problems, contact the attorney general of your state and file a complaint. Since it most of the products cross state lines, we can complain to the attorney general of the united states as well.

I have tried to call hq in new york but can't seem to get past the automated system there. But I won't stop trying,

A soon to be ex-rep,

Joann

• Ba
    Barbara May 12, 2009

I had the same problem i returned the items and was told they never got them, and now they want be to pay them back.

MAR3 May 27, 2009

You have to be so careful doing returns. One little error, and they will claim they didn't get your stuff. If you an Avon rep and planning a return after reading this post, please go through the online tutorial (under the training tab) for using EZ Returns. Then when you are using EZ Returns, complete the forms for only one box at a time. That is, once your box is full, complete the EZ returns, print your label, print your packing slip, and print duplicates for your records. Have a witness sign your packing slip after verifying the contents of the box. Then follow the same instructions for more boxes. Print each shipping label and ship each box on a different date so Avon cannot claim confusion. (In fact, I would log off my account completely after the first box was complete), then wait a day or two to start the next box.

Sounds complicated? It IS complicated. You do one little thing wrong, like forget the packing slip, and you are [email protected]! So be careful, follow the instructions to the letter, don't ship mulitple boxes on the same day, and -- Good Luck!

MAR3 May 27, 2009

For jjsilliman, may I recommend pinktruth.com?

MAR3 Jul 22, 2009

Just got out of a returns suspension. I shipped a return back to Avon and it bounced right back to me with no explanation. I figured it out why on my own (as with all things Avon related). The labels they send with your invoices are not the prepaid labels, so you have to go back to EZ Returns to generate the label. Unless you want to set your own price in case they are overcharging you for return shipping. (Which, in many cases, I'm sure they are, but you won't know because they don't tell you how much they are charging you in advance of you generating the label.)

• De
    Deborah Severns Feb 27, 2010

I am having huge problems with Avon. I returned items and they claim they were never located even though I have all the tracking information in writing and they have backcharged my account. It happened two years ago and after it finally getting straightened out, they basically told me I was fired.

They won't even talk with me and now apparently this investigation is in the Legal Department. I am not going to give up on this. I will be contacting the Wisconsin Attorney General if necessary.

Thanks for your information.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices