Avis Rent A Carendangers single women in the dark

Avis requires that receipts be presented when cars are returned, showing that the gas tank was filled within five miles from the return location.

Returning a car from a distance of more than five miles away at 5:30 a.m. in a strange city where gas station locations and hours are not known means driving around hoping to be safe, finding an open station, and finding the way back to the airport car rental location.

Posted: 2008-09-19 by Angry Customer [send email]

Over Charge
    Complaint Rating: 100 % with 1 votes
    Company information:
    Avis Rent a Car
    Seattle, Washington

I reserved a Avis rental car through CarRentals.com. The reservation was for 2 days @ $25.99/day. When I arrived the pickup location, Avis representative over the counter offered me an upgrade from a compact to a median size car for a “couple of more bucks” (quoted his word). I assumed he meant $2 more than the $25.99 in the reservation. I agreed. I also explained to him that my credit card covered the insurance and I did not need extra insurance. He completed the paper work and handled to me said, “sign here, initiate here. I trusted his word and did not go through rental agreement line by line before signing. I was shocked to find out the rate actually went up from $25.99 a day to $42.99 a day. That is not a couple of bucks more! The insurance was also added without my consent. My credit card was charged by $160, 100 more than in my reservation.

Avis Rent a Car - BEWARE AVIS MCI

126 days ago by frank 0 Votes

We made a reservation 6 months in advance to get the best deal, as we always do. We reserved a full size car for $181.30 and had a $20.00 off coupon that was to be taken off at the counter. All was well until we returned the car and found that out bill was $355.41 when we asked why they said that they had up graded us to a larger car. We went to speak to a manager ( W.L. Butler ) and he said I had initialed it so therefore I knew about it. He said his manager would call me in the morning. The girl went over everything that I signed for and the only mention that I signed for was that I was denying the insurance and that I would bring the car back with a full tank of gas, there was absolutely no mention of any upgrade. Nobody called us and after two days of telephoning I finally got to talk to a manager (Michel Wu ). He told us unfortunately there was nothing he could do since I had initialed it. I explained to him that if I wanted to upgrade I would of used my upgrade coupon instead of my $20.00 off coupon. I had no need for a upgrade and did not want an upgrade. The car we rented was no bigger or better than most mid size cars that we rent. This is shear trickery what they did, and they know it. It may of been that they were out of full size cars. I don't know. We waited in a very long line about 45 minutes and there was still a very long line when we left. I know that they were very busy that day. A fellow that I spoke to at Avis named Jerry Mc Clunky told me that they will upgrade you if they are out of you size car and in that case it should of been a complimentary upgrade. My question is why was I upgraded? I have called my credit card company and disputed the charges, but the manager at Avis said they had a signed contract so it would do us no good. I am sick about this, This sure put a nasty finish to our wonderful vacation.

126 days ago by frank 0 Votes

0 mins ago by Guitar Parts 0 Votes
    Our experience, we are sharing for all our friends, who book thru internet companies.

We rented a premium car from AVIS, MCI (Kansas City International Airport) thru Hotwire.com
    When we went to pickup the Car, they didn't give us two choices 2 different types of cadillac,
    without any explanation or clarity they gave the papers to sign. We are in a hurry and we believed
    AVIS company we initialed, thinking that we are getting the car we booked.

When we returned the car after six days and they gave an additional bill for $240 saying that,
    that is for the upgrade and charged on the credit card. We said we never asked for an upgrade and they said we put initial for the upgrade.

Later we get to know from our friends that by hiding and misleading us they make money from the
    customers who booked thru internet companies like hotwire, priceline etc.. We complaint about this and
    got an as usual "regretting letter" from the manager.

This is a daylight white collar cheating. Don't be cheated with this types
    of frauds. Double check and ask before you put initial. Make sure if there is
    any additional charges, before you pickup a car.

BEWARE and AVOID AVIS MCI(Kansas City International Airport)

A ripped off customer.

100% true I believe it.

yes I agree.

• Ti
    tiffanyjoness Apr 27, 2012

yes avis is a HUGE scam. their rental agents make BIG money off upgrades and insurance and scam customers by just adding it. the things they do are SO bad. they rip consumers off and management encourages it. yes avis rips you off its because the management and sales reps make big bucks off the upgrade money. this is how they get their sales commission and they hide it from the customers. their sales reps make a lot of money by doing this and the company makes lots of money. avis are only cheaters and liars watch out for them never trust them at all! also file a complaint because even though its a signed contract most avis will take the charges off...

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices