AT&T / Direc TV Bundle Servicesbilling issues

The advertised $99.00 bundle from AT&T/Direct TV is a complete rip-off. I guess you could get the $99.00 price if you jumped through all the hoops in the way. I order this package over the internet for my daughter who just graduated colleged and is now without a job figuring I could afford to spend $99.00 a month for her. First, when I signed up for this service I was not told that this was a 24 month committment nor was I told that each company direct billed their customers. Secondly, I was not told that the $99.00 price included a rebate from Direct TV which had to be applied for during the first 90 days of service and that it would only cover the first 12 months. To date this are my payments:
AT&T 05/15/09-$131.30

Direct TV 06/07/09-$125.15
Direct TV 07/07/09-$103.05
Direct TV 08/07/09-$112.12
Direct TV 08/07/09-$140.14

Like I said no where close to the $99.00 a month they advertise! If you enjoy your sanity, I would stay away from these so-called bundled packages.

• Re
    Really Made Nov 09, 2009

I am having the same problem with them. I signed up online for the bundled Sunday NFL Package ($59), internet and telephone. The online quote was around $140 for everything. When I went to watch the NFL I did not get any of the games in HD. Called. Had to buy superfan for $20.

Just got my bill in the mail.
    AT&T charged 145.75 (I have basic calling, no caller id and no long distance and the $45 internet)

Got a Direct TV bill in the mail
    $96.44

AT&T is not there to answer the telephone at 8pm.
    Direct TV guy said that I should have been notified on my first bill that I would have to apply for a rebate to get the $59 package.

Now what I am made about is that I signed up online. It made no mention of having to fill out rebate forms. I made no changes and did not get an AT&T modem but yet my bill is $145 for basic telephone and internet?

• Cp
    CPA in Bloomington IN Nov 11, 2009

I have also had a horrid experience in ordering bundled Direct/TV and internet through AT&T. Everything the sales rep told me has been a lie. I am a CPA, with a masters degree in accounting, and they have since tried to tell me that I did not understand what I was told. I am determined to get the offer they quoted me, which was $70 a month for bundled service, all equipment fees waived. They came and installed the direct TV, but never processed my order for the internet. When I called to ask about it, no order was in their system, and no one else knew anything about the deal I was quoted. Fortunately I anticipated this from AT&T, and took the sales reps direct e-mail address down to begin with. I have spent about 6 hours on the phone arguing with them. In the end they may eventually do approximately what they originally said. In truth, they misrepresented just about every detail, and apparently they cannot actually even bundle the bill, waive the equipment fee on my first billing, or provide the service for the price they quoted me.

If you place a phone order for this type of service, I suggest you first get the sales reps e-mail. Then when they quote you a price, send them an email with the price and ask them to confirm that your understanding is correct, and that no other fees apply.
    They do not tell you up front that you must apply for Direct TV rebates to get the price they quote.
    These rebates take 6-8 weeks to process, and your first 3 months bills will not be bundled.
    The price they quote on the phone is a lie, and they will tell you just about anything just to get you signed up. Apparently you are supposed to gather this from their online disclosure that they never tell you about. Your price with Direct TV will be much higher for some indefinite period (2 months I am told) until the rebates are processed.
    If AT&T waives any internet equipment fees, the fees will still appear on your bill, and you will have to spend hours getting it fixed. They have told me they can't really waive it up front and send you a correct bill to begin with.

AT&T could save themselves hours and hours of staff time by just being straight with people to begin with.

• Di
    diamdave Sep 13, 2010

I had the same thing happen to me. On Feb. 3rd, 2009 they promised me local, long distance and DirectTV for $104 plus taxes. TV price locked in for one year, after that I had a choice, either lose several channels and pay the same price, or pay about $25 more per month for what I had. I chose the former, except Direct TV would not honor it, said that ATT didn't know what they were doing and should not have given me those prices. I spoke with "Chotoya" (how many can there be?) tracking number 110042.

So much for accountability.

I"ll be dropping them alltogether.

• Dn
    dnamichaels Jan 10, 2011

ATT billing department is dysfunctional at best. They send a bill in multiple pages with all sorts of charges sprinkled everywhere. More confusing is when you have Direct TV in your contract. I cancelled them after 90 days because their Hi Speed Internet was anything but Hi speed. I even paid to upgrade, twice, and still had issues viewing streaming video from an online course I had purchased. I paid the final bill in November and just today I received another bill for 105.00 which is erroneous. I called and put on speaker phone and went about my business for 31 minutes and hung up. They said there will be a a delay due to high call volume. That was the very same recording I received when ever I called regardless of time of day or day of the week. When I would finally get a live person they gave me a name that was impossible to pronounce and I am of the opinion they all use alises not to reveal their true identity. I filed the bill and will wait until next month..