Assurance Wireless / lifeline

1 United States

I was looking to replace my phone with a smartphone. I noticed on the Assurance Wireless website that the Samsung J3 Achieve was compatible with the service as they were selling the phone for $109.99. I happened to check the Virgin Mobile USA website and they had the same phone for $69.99. I couldn't understand the price difference considering Virgin Mobile USA offers the Lifeline service under the Assurance Wireless brought to you by Virgin Mobile brand. So, I contacted Assurance Wireless and was told that devices not provided by or purchased through Assurance Wireless are compatible. I know this to be true because the phone I am replacing was purchased from the Virgin Mobile website a few years ago and I have been using it with the Assurance Wireless service. Since I was told the phones were compatible, I went ahead and ordered the phone from Virgin Mobile USA, because, why pay $40 more fore the phone if I didn't have to. I received the phone and when I attempted to activate it via the Virgin mobile website, I received a message that the phone couldn't be activated because it wasn't an Assurance Wireless phone.

I am of the opinion that Assurance Wireless/Virgin Mobile USA are trying to swindle money from customers. I plan to file a complaint with the FCC and contact my members of congress as well. A company like Virgin shouldn't be getting tax payer dollars.

Ev