American Laser Centersunprofessional, dangerous, painful and no refund!

Click on the link to see the full complaint

• At
    ATX Girl Apr 22, 2010

I've been doing laser treatments for a year and a half. I'm a registered nurse! I don't recommend going anywhere that uses "Certified Laser Technicians". What does that even mean?? Do they know what to do if you are taking Propanalol and use numbing cream? What about if you have a Sulfa allergy? Have you ever had Displastic Nevi? If you want to be completely satisfied. Go to a DERMATOLOGIST for treatments! Use a laser like a Candela (Lase or Yag) and NOT IPL!! IPL is NOT permanent. It WILL take at least 3-4 treatments before your eye sees a difference. The hair will get finer and lighter and grow slower. You may need up to 12 treatments to be 90% or more hair free, depending on your skin type. Light skin with dark hair will see faster results. Dark skin with medium to dark brown hair will take longer. If you get burned, 99% of burns are caused by TWO things: UV rays from tanning beds and the sun, or make-up and fake tanning lotion on the skin that is not removed prior to treatment.
    Don't believe it if anyone ever says things like: "By the time you're done, you're skin will be as smooth as a baby's butt." (This might be true for some, but most people have very fine hair that is left behind that is too light or fine to be "seen" by the laser. You also might be someone who needs more tx's). "This won't hurt." (It DOES hurt. The laser for dark skin, the Yag, is much more uncomfortable than the Lase for light skin. You will likely need a topical numbing cream if you are a dark skin type.)
    Eastern Indian women who have a lot of hair on their face, usually require more tx's and double passes. Don't ever let anyone tell you to bleach your skin!! This is very dangerous! It means they don't have the right laser for your skin type and you will likely get burned!!
    Many women with facial hair will later discover they suffer from PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome). You can see GREAT results with laser hair removal. Go somewhere with a "Lifetime Guarantee" or "Lifetime Membership" so that once you pay the big fee, you only pay a small office charge for tx's over the original package. I see a lot of women who don't know they have PCOS until they come to the clinic and find their hair keeps growing back more than we would expect. You can have "normal" hormones and still have PCOS or other issues that cause your hair follicles to be more sensitive to androgens that cause hair growth. Sometimes it's genetic. (Make sure your doctor is specifically testing for PCOS and not just "checking your hormones".)
    Finally, make sure the clinic you go to doesn't have you come back ANY SOONER than 8 to 10 weeks for you first 5 or so tx's. Six weeks is NOT enough time to let the hair cycle back through and you will wind up needing more tx's. This works to the benefit of clinics that charge you "per treatment" fees and not a package deal. Treatments after about 5 or 6 need to be 12 weeks apart because by this time the damage to the follicles causes it to take even longer to grow.
    Good luck to all of you out there. I love the results I've had from the Candela Lase I use at my clinic. The key to this is realistic expectations and patience. Good results can take up to TWO YEARS so hang in there!
    Lisa

• Lm
    lml020686inbostonma Apr 20, 2010

I just created an account with http://www.americanlasercentersclassaction.com/ and am hoping that American Laser Center is shut down as soon as possible.

I spent $5500 on a full-body laser hair removal package (and far more than that in interest and finance charges) and have never seen any results. After my package of 6 treatments, plus my 2-year guarentee was up, I mentioned that I hadn't seen any reduction. I was told to call the corporate office to see if there was anything that could be done. Like most of the people who have posted, nothing was ever done.

Whether or not I ever see that $5500 again, I just hope the company gets shut down. They are dishonest, greedy, and misleading, among many other things. Hope everyone who posted finds some justice, as we have all been taken advantage of.

• Du
    Ducky75 Apr 19, 2010

I just want to state... THAT I HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH ALC!!!
    My mother referred me and she has been going for 5 years for different treatments. Her legs, underarms and bikini line are PERFECTLY HAIR FREE!!! I have only been going for 6 out of my 8-10 appointments and have noticed REAL changes in my hair growth. I signed up with Roxanne K in FH, MI and LOVE LOVE LOVE her! No one ever 'tricked' me or used any nasty tactics to get me to sign, although I do read my paperwork thoroughly before I sign and I also don't leave without asking questions. I hope that this leaves some people with a better sense of the company. 100% of the people will NOT have a great experience, that doesn't mean that the company needs to be sued!

Mary K1 Apr 18, 2010

I purchased a laser removal package for my face and stomach. I paid over $2000 for the services. At first everything seemed to be okay. I went for my treatments when scheduled for about a year. I didn't really notice a difference in the hair growth because I still had to shave between treatments. When this center received a "new" machine, I was treated with that one. This machine left burn marks on my stomach and neck. I had white patches on my stomach from the burns and I am African-American. I contacted ALC and they took pictures and offered me free microdermabrasion treatments to help get the color back. After my burned areas returned to normal color, I was suppose to restart my laser treatments. The computer was down for scheduling so I was supposed to be contacted about making my next appointment. I never was. Every time I called the office, the voicemail picked up. I left messages and never received a call back. To this day I still have not continued my treatment.

Devonian Apr 12, 2010

machk - find a personal injury lawyer that works on a contingency basis and go after ALC for pain, suffering, medical bills, etc. That's just unacceptable!!!

machk Apr 12, 2010

I went approximately two years ago for about an eight month period for my eyebrow area only. They burned me and after that, I decided not to return. Now I just found out I have skin cancer in the exact area where they burned me. Anyone who has gotten burns should be checked by their dermatologist. I plan on joining the class action lawsuit against the company.

Devonian Apr 06, 2010

to 'itsmelol' - a class action is in the works - check out: http://www.americanlasercentersclassaction.com/

I've spoken with them personally, it's not a scam.

• It
    itsmelol Apr 06, 2010

American Laser Center: Laser treatments here is just waste of time, money, and energy. I have the same issue with no results from the treatments. I have received 30 treatments since 2006 and I do not see any hair reduction. When I ask about it, they simply said I am not the right candidate. I paid $2, 000 and the money is gone and no desired results. We should definitely file a class action law suit. BEWARE - DO NOT GO HERE. There were not these many posts earlier when I bought the package otherwise I would not have even gone there. Also, see different clinics for prices. I bought a package in Seattle, WA paying $2, 800 and just wanted to find out how other clinics are offering, then I went to another ALC in Bellevue, WA and got a quote for $1, 450 for the same package which threw me off. After fighting for almost 1 year they gave me an in house credit for the remaining amount but did not refund the money. They have false prices too. DO NOT GO HERE.

• Je
    Jerm1156 Mar 29, 2010

I got both arms burnt from my wrist to my shoulder. Not only have they still not refunded my money like they said they were doing to do 4 months ago, but they did not even have the decency to respond to a letter sent by attorney. Do your self a HUGE favor and stay as far away from ALC as you can. They are unprofessional and incompetent. Here are my pics...

• Cl
    Claudia Barton Mar 22, 2010

This place is into me for $2, 000. The location I was going to in St. Charles, IL will cease to exist in a few days. I've been calling corp. but I'm chasing my tail trying to get help. Any news on a class action law suit? What should be my plan of action?

• Th
    THEYSUCK Mar 13, 2010

Please check out other businesses that offer the service you are looking for. Do not lock yourself into their rip-off packages and be rushed through every treatment. I had laser hair removal done and everytime I went in there was a different girl doing it and I felt like I was rushed through and am so so sorry I wasted my money on them. I have been to other places and everyone I have talked to has met someone with the same wasted experience.

I would recommend they open up a drive through window.

Devonian Mar 09, 2010

In March of 2007 I was told I'd "won" a $300 gift certificate for laser hair removal from American Laser Center. I went to the free consultation, and was offered almost 50% the normal price for a treatment on the bikini area. The package I purchased was for 6 treatments and I was told that even though I'm strawberry blond, it would work guaranteed. Beyond that, I was told, if hair did grow back at any time in the following 2 years after my 6th treatment I could return for further treatment at no cost. However here is 3 years later, I have one appointment left in my 2 year guarantee, and I've continued to be treated this entire time. I've seen 0% reduction!!! When I asked for a refund I was told it wasn't company policy (even though that's not specified in ANY of the paperwork I signed), but instead I could continue to be treated for $50/per 30 minute session. I feel completely helpless, and I'm totally out $1k. I've asked to speak to the Regional Manager, but was told that she would give me the same information. HELP!!! I've gotten on board with a class action suit forming in Michigan, but I want to do so much more to expose the scamming practices of this company. DO NOT BE TREATED HERE. (--Devon at [email protected])

Devonian Mar 09, 2010

Hi! DO NOT have a procedure done by American Laser. I too "won" a $300 gift certificate, and was given a great price at the consultation. I was assured that I'd be hair-free after 6 treatments, even with my strawberry blonde hair and fair skin, but here I am 3 years later (6 treatments and at the end of my 2 year guarantee), and I've had 0% success. I've asked for a refund, but was told point blank that it is not corporate policy (even though there was nothing in the paperwork I signed agreeing to a "no refund policy"), and I was instead told that I can pay $50 a treatment to continue the process. 'H' NO. Beware. Do not be swayed by the prices, or sales pitch -- American Laser is a scam. I've been in contact with a local newscaster who is covering a story about their shady business practices. Also, I've filed a claim with a class action suit forming at a firm in Michigan -- please join in (NO MATTER WHAT YOUR EXPERIENCE WITH ALC - the firm is gathering info about false advertising, consumer protection violations, breach of contract, medical malpractice and credit card fraud)... the more people we have supporting the case the more likely we are to get our money back. Check out the site, and fill out the questionnaire that is emailed to you. Please feel free to contact me directly if you want more information, or have information on how we can bring this scam to light, and take this company down. Devon at [email protected] The class action suit is at: http://www.americanlasercentersclassaction.com/user/register

• Lj
    ljones005 Mar 08, 2010

I am so happy to have read these comments before proceeding on with my procedures. I went for a consultation appointment on last week, and also had the "test spot" preformed. I told the lady to give me a few days to make up my mind, but was pretty sure I would proceed on (due to the great price offered). Thank heavens I investigate a little before I give out money! There are way too many negative reviews on here for me to go further with this company. The way I see it, all these people aren't just making up lies, and a lot of your stories sounds so familiar to my own, such as: winning a $300 dollar certificate in like 5 minutes, the prices which are unbelievably too good to be true (got over 50% off the cost), and much more. In addition, I would like to say that I did detect a bad vibe while there. I am a very observant person and will say that the first alarm sounded right after my price was discounted from 2500 to 1200, I was left in the consultation room with patient files, and the technician wore no glasses while performing my "test spot" (even after reading "clear as day" on the door, that everyone in the room should wear glasses). I would like to say, Thanks guys for your reviews. Sounds like you've saved me from hell!

• Bu
    Burned in OC Mar 08, 2010

hi there Im interested in joining a class action law suit, im in orange county california and have sustained considerable burns on my back, by a RN, (at least she claims, she was), no one every followed up or anything, they gave a few measely ice packs and a bottle of $6 Aquaphor ointment.

• Dd
    ddc54 Mar 05, 2010

I agree, they are a big rip off. Signed up for laser skin tightening and rejuvenation and have seen no results. I called and complained and they gave me free microbrasion but no refund, which also didn't work. They are rude, dishonest and very unprofessional and need to be shut down. 3/05/2010

• Sh
    Shya Feb 18, 2010

A branch of ALC in Des Moines, IA was cited..."In the order sent last week to American Laser Center, the board says the center was using unlicensed, and unqualified cosmetologists to perform medical procedures on patients." Read the full story here: http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/84595372.html.

This is the place I've been going for 2 years. I also "won" a $300 gift certificate and went in for a free consultation. I signed up for a package and since then they've tried roping me into many, many more. They've offered $1000-$1500 gift certificates, but thankfully I turned them down. I've seen minimal results. Most of the service was professional, but one tech did not seem to know what she was doing, and slightly burned my skin. That was the last time I was there. I had a conflict with my last scheduled appointment and rescheduled it. That appointment is in a couple of weeks, but I will never go back to this place. Since they're using unlicensed people, is there a chance that I could get my money back?

• Am
    amybeth Feb 15, 2010

I just had my first treatment for laser rejuvenation and hair removal for bikini area. I signed up for a $2, 000 package. I am very skeptical after reading these postings and after feeling like the clinic is nothing but a sales scam. I became suspicious after the salesperson told me the credit card was zero percent interest, but then I received the credit paperwork in the mail and it showed 25%. I never would have signed up if it wasn't interest free. The salesperson even told me that if there was interest, then I should call the customer service number and they would fix it. I called them and the person on the phone said she never heard of zero-percent interest! That's when I knew I was completely scammed. I guess it's too late now! I will try to stick it out and maybe there will be results. I have a few sun spots on my face that they claim will flake off after a few treatments. I guess we'll see!

• Br
    Brandiiiii Feb 11, 2010

I would have to disagree with all of you. I have been going to ALC and have recieved 4 treaments and couldn't be happier with the results. I don't think most of you pay attention in your consults to what they say. They clearly say hair reduction. No where do they ever say it will completely get rid of all hair. With all you unsatisfied people there is something you could do and that is provide pictures. Let the hair grow back and take a picture of it to show the results your actually getting. Sounds like you guys purchased something you knew you couldn't afford and have buyers remorse is all.

• Af
    Afiya Feb 08, 2010

I have been recieveing treatments since Nov 09. it seems as soon as you pay up all the customer service goes out the window. I am currently locked in to a financing agreement. Is there anything I can do to get out of it? Help!!!

• Ij
    ijay Jan 18, 2010

oh my gosh!.i saw one of their ads about winning a free consulation and signed up for it and i won.it only took 5 minutes for a call.that was when i knew something was fishy.i was schedule for an appointment but unfornately i never showed up.but after reading this reviews, i am just going to call them and tell them that i am no longer interested.i never signed any agreement.hopefully they should leave me alone..

• Ra
    Rawaa Jan 06, 2010

Hey, I am another victim of American Laser Center. I am willing to join any group to stop this deception and unprofessionalism. Please help me. I desperately need my money back and it seems it went into a black hole! I have never seen any such liars in my entire life (lived in 6 countries so you can imagine that I have seen quit a lot during my life time).

Is anyone organizing a collaborative and coordinated response. Please email me and I will join. They have to be stopped.

• Br
    brightstarr11 Dec 17, 2009

I do have real complaints. I have been reading this board for a while now to see what other people are going through. There are some pathetic comments, but I believe there are other people who have posted comments about real problems. I am going to call the number that "Allen" left. I can already report though that he is wrong to leave that comment because it is misleading clients to think that they will be helped if only they would just call this number he left. I have already called the "customer service" number and they will not, cannot help me. They say they cannot. If you call and you are one of the people who went to a privetly owned clinic, they will tell you to go to the owners and that there is nothing they can do. If Allen really worked with ALC customer service, he would know that. I am disgusted by the business practices of this company and I can't stand it anymore. They want me to take some their crappy products in place of five facial treatments that I don't want to use in place of a refund because remember, they don't do refunds! The last time I tried to call their customer service number I was told I wasn't even in their computers and the woman couldn't even look up my name and home address. i find that weird considering that i entered that contest and had to call back a customer service person to accept the prize. Hmmm. I told her that i had tried to get the contact info of the owners at the clinic I have been going to and that the manager refused to give me that info. She was a jerk to me. Upset that I wanted to put in a formal complaint about my experience with them. The woman told me that she would have to connect me through to a customer service manager and just when I thought I was getting some where nobody answered and I had to leave a message for this so called manager. Well, just like I expected nobody ever called me back and that was about a month ago. I have significant scarring from the facial treatment I had done and even though the manager at this place told me she saw it she has done nothing to go to the owners for me to see if I can have a refund. They won't give me my money back.

• Ni
    Nicole Tippets Dec 15, 2009

I have been going to ALC since March 2008. I have received 9 treatments and have about 25% reduction. I am getting full legs, feet and toes, buttocks, full brazillian, naval, underarms.

I also was burned very badly. I couldn't drive my car, had body shakes, a high fever, and had to take a full day off work. The burns last about 2 weeks going from a light pink, into a dark brown, then turning into a blister and peeling off. I contacted ALC because i was concerned. The response i got was, " that is normal and will go away in the next couple of days". I thougth nothing of it because of their response until i found this website.

I have spent $4200( 10, 927 without any discounts or gift certificates). They make it seem like you are getting such a great deal for an amazing treatment. I am not getting the results that was promised to me.

During one of my sessions i had an ingrown hair on the back of my thigh. The day after my appointment i had a blistered form of herpes, due to their unsanitized equipment.

• Bu
    Burnedallover Dec 11, 2009

I am a physician who was receiving treatments at American Laser Centers. I sustained burns after one of my treatments.
    I have contacted, and encourage everyone else who has had a bad experience, to contact your state's
    MEDICAL QUALITY ASSURANCE COMMISSION which is a branch of the DEPARTMENT OF HEALTH.

When I contacted them, they stated that they have hear many complaints but many people do not bother to submit a formal complaint so that the commission could investigate them and enforce the laws.

• My
    mykr65 Dec 02, 2009

Don't be fooled by the contest they say you won. That is how they get you sucked in!! They lie to you and scam you out of a lot of money!! There are no results because you have untrained people using the lasers. Don't waste your money, or risk your health!! There are a lot of lawsuits and complaints for a reason. Unfortunately, I am one of them that found out the hard way!!

• Jc
    jcs0264 Dec 02, 2009

This place is so unprofessional, not only did my hair removal package not work, but they took no steps to assess or adrress the problem.
    Now, they shut down the Denton location, and I lose my package unless I travel.
    I only found out they relocated when I waited 30 minutes for an appointment, and then asked another receptionist about them, well she said they were no longer there!
    I am so disapointed, and have put so much time and money to waste with them.
    Now I fear to get it done anywhere, with my next contract I guess I will make them say I get a refund if they move! Horrible place!

• mhd Dec 02, 2009

I am yet another former customer of American Laser Center that has been ripped off and hurt in their process. I am trying to get a lawyer to sue them after my face and leg have been burnt. They said this was normal and should go away. They say that because they don't want to give me a refund!!! Not only have I've been going more than 2 years now (just got burnt this week), but also the treatment is NOT WORKING. How can I ensure that others do not go through this? I will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to bring this company down. I am sending first of all an email to my entire company (a fortune 500 company) to tell them NEVER TO GO TO THIS COMPANY. Worst experience ever!

• Na
    Nahrin Arsenos Nov 16, 2009

On October 24, 2009 I entered a contract to receive services on laser hair removal. After the contract was signed I was told by the clinic manager that there will be a “test patch” done on me as a courtesy service to assure the desired skin response to the laser. She consistently referred to this as “test patch” and not a procedure. Other than the courtesy test patch, there has been no rendering of any services or procedures of any kind. I am canceling my contract as I informed the clinic manager on October 26, 2009 to not move forward with the contract and the appointments because I won’t be able to afford the procedure due to unforeseen financial difficulties. They are now harassing me to make appointments and go forth with it because I’ve already done the test patch and that obligates me to the entire $3300.00 contract. Do they obligate you to buy the very first car you take out for a test drive??? What kind of business is this???

• Ns
    nsfv Nov 01, 2009

BEWARE!!! The worst company out there. Unprofessional, and ZERO customer service. I got burned and nobody will help me. I have called many times with a response of, "someone will get back to you". I want a refund and to never step foot there again.

• Lu
    Lulu2000 Oct 30, 2009

I also had a horrible experience with this place. I "won" $500 towards a treatment, paid the difference, which was over $1000, and after 12 or so painful visits, no positive results. I actually have more ingrown hairs now. I have tried contacting them repeatedly and even filed a complaint with the BBB but still no response.

• Do
    DONT DO IT! Oct 14, 2009

Both clinics in Elk Grove and Sacramento SUCKS! Poor management, no customer service skills at all, its all about taking advantage of people's money. ALC is a total SCAM! If you're thinking about any form of laser treatment, DONT, its not worth throwing your money away or ruining your body with burns, scars, bruises, etc...BE AWARE!

• Mi
    missjenn Oct 14, 2009

I definatly agree never listen to staff, they are just trying to sell you stuff. Last time I went in they asked me if I was interested in botox or some laser skin rejuvination. My response: I'm only 22...I don't need those things.

• Sm
    smsjor Oct 09, 2009

Liars and thieves is all I have to say.
    They force you into paying them and do not give your money back, even when you haven't had any treatments!

• Ti
    tigerlaw Oct 09, 2009

I am a lawyer representing a former ALC client who was badly burned. If any of you are interested in visiting with me about your experience, or ALC's business practices in general, I would very much appreciate your insight.

[email protected]

• Ni
    Nicole H. Paige Oct 08, 2009

This company needs to be shut down. And will. I'm joining the class action lawsuit... me and the scar they put on my chin (which is less than helpful for my on-camera acting career). American Laser has been giving me the run around for about 9 months now and it's time to resolve this. I spoke with Care Credit this morning and they are considering disassociating with them because of their sleazy business practices.

Additionally I want to point out that the women that work in the Santa Monica office are delightful and sweet people. They don’t make the policies or technology and this is nothing against them. But they should probably find new jobs because this company wont be open for very much longer if I have anything to do with it.

[email protected]

• Mi
    misty915 Oct 05, 2009

I have been going to the ALC in Frederick MD for 12 months. I purchased the package for the entire face (brow, chin, upper lip...and everywhere else on my face). It cost ~$1500. It HURTS. I use the numbing cream, but it still HURTS. Actually, I would say worse than child birth.

But...it works and I do not regret this at all. I am the ideal candidate with dark hair and pale skin. I have always had a unibrow and mustache that I have had to deal with since my teens. There was a noticable difference after the first treatment. With each treatment they bump up the power which increases the pain. Seriously, I call it the torture chamber. It only takes 15min for the face, but it is the worse 15min ever. The pain goes away within 1-3 hours.

Do not go expecting it to not hurt, because it will. If it doesn't hurt, I would assume something is wrong with the laser, or you have dark skin and they have to keep it on low...which means less results.

I would not recommend this for anyone with blonde hair or darker skin. I would not recommend this for just a few hairs. This is for us hairy people.

• Ly
    lynzy44 Oct 02, 2009

I went to ALC in Bend, Oregon June 2009 and I received over 150 2nd degree burns on both legs and had to go to the ER for treatment. Dermatologists have told me the scars are permanent.
    If you have been a victim of ALC please report the incident to the Oregon Health dept. They have a simple one page form to fill out and do take action.
    Any questions PLEASE email me [email protected]

• Li
    Lindalue Sep 29, 2009

Phil,

Somebody must of paid you for what you have posted! What did ALC offer you? A free package or something? As you can read from our compliants, we are not complaining of poor/no resluts after 1-2 treatments! We have gone to get our body parts lasererd (or should I say burned?) many times without getting the results that we were promised! I spent $4500.00 of my hard earned money on this and a year and a half later I am still shaving and have regrowth of the few and I mean very few hairs that did fall out.

I really dought that you "ENJOYED" your treatments as they are painful, leave you with burns and in my case white spots all over my legs! We can't be talking about the same laser hair removal center! Out of hundreds of posts I have read you are the only was that seems to be "HAPPY" and have "ENJOYED" your treatments...I find a that very hard to believe and think you just may be someone that is getting paid from ALC to post a good review of your expierence. What you wrote is total Bull!

Pissed and cheated!
    Lindalue

• Rh
    rhm Sep 24, 2009

So sorry for the bad experiences, but mine has been surprisingly good. the results is better than i expected. but the staff and the atmosphere makes me cringe...it definitely feels shady, i hate doing business there. cant wait till its over.