Air Berlinflight cancellation

R

My family and I had a flight from SFO to Dusseldorf. We had a 4 hour lay over. Originally, we had an 8hr lay over but Airberlin changed the time. What was supposed to be a 4hr lay over turned into a living nightmare, that forced my family and I to sleep overnight at the airport. They lost our luggage, we spent 2hrs looking for them. We were one of the last families in line to receive a voucher for a hotel room over night. By the time they got to us, the had ran out of hotels according to them. The hotels available were 50 miles away. They stated they wouldn't reimburse us for any taxis we used. So, my wife and I decided to stay at the airport with our kids. Airberlin booked the flights for us but it wasn't straight to Venice. We had to make another stop to Frankfort, Germany. My wife and I managed to find a place where our kids can sleep for a couple of hours. We all fell asleep to find a complete stranger sleeping next to our kids. We thought this nightmare was over but it was only the beginning. Around 4:30am my wife and kids waited in line to be checked in. When we were finally helped, after waiting for awhile, we were already feeling very frustrated, the woman at the register counter told us that Airberlin did not book our youngest daughter. They took such a long time. They were upset about it, we were very confused. Our flight was going to leave at 6am and we were still trying to situate our daughter's airline ticket. We almost missed our flight to Frankfort that would connect to Venice. Due to the cancellation, we lost a night in Venice. We had already paid for the room. We lost two days of vacation because of their inadequacy.