AfniThe Truth

Well here is the truth folks, i have worked for afni for two years... and yes we are a real company been around for about 40+ yrs.
To start I have been reading over some of these comments on diffrent web site and I feel there is a few things that need to be made clear. Most people are saying we are "Fraud" or collecting on fake debt, so i think this is a good place to start. We are not fraud we are a debt buying company also we do Subrogation and consumer support as well. As for collection fake debt that is completely incorrect, we dont just send notice on bills for fun. We buy bulk files from cell, landline, cable companys so that means we get millions of accounts at a time most the time these are old accounts by old i mean I myself have seen bills dateing back to 1990, so with buying accounts this way most of the companies we buy from have bought out other companys, so befor you say you have never had verizon, that is a vary unlikely statement because Verizon has bought out most of all the major landland companys such as GTE, Bell, Time Warrner, the list goes on and on, so the moral of that is, if you have EVER had a home phone, Well my friend there is a 80% chance they are owned by someone else . That same subject goes for cell phones if anyone rembers we didnt always just have the 8 major cell phone comp. around, NO we have regional carries all over the the place! And sorry these companies didnt just fall off the face of the earth they were bought out, so there you go if you get a T-moblie or who-ever bill from us just take a second think about it befor you call screaming or being rude. Oh and as for old bills... This is a big one
*THERE IS NO STATUTE OF LIMITATION ON THE COLLECTION OF A DEBT!!!* You have NO idea how many people get this law wrong You can collect on a debt forever, what is misrepresented here is that there is statues on taking legal action and credit listing, so *yes we cannot sue you or list it to your credit forever but, that bill doesnt go away!!! * Also, people say we dont vaildate date that is so far from wrong its crazy... our company will vaildate an account at any time just ask, if we cannot the account WILL be closed. We do go back to what ever company it is make sure it is still owing and also starting this year on cell, landline we also send a bill copy or proof from the cell companys records, and just to be clear we ARE NOT REQUIRED TO SEND YOU A CONTRACT OR ALL BILLCOPIES!!! The FDCPA no where states that it states vailidation which is going bk to the comp and checking if it is owing, So please STOP acting like the law says you have to recive that. Further more, dont go on-line and read some "jo-blow's" blog about the laws like FDCPA or FCRA... go to the fedral trade coms. website, THE PEOPLE THAT GET ON LINE AND TELL YOU WHAT THAT LAW "STATES" IS TELLING YOU WHAT THEY THINK IT MEANS!!! AND 9 OUT OF 10 TIMES IT SO WRONG THAT IF YOU SAW THE ACTUAL LAW YOU WOULD CALL YOURSELF STUPID. So do your self a favor and actually reseach information from the GOVERMENT AGNT. that wrote it!!!
The last thing i have to say is, alot of people this we are rude, mean people just out to get them, well newsflash when you call us your not calling a cusomer service hotline!!! your calling a collection agent, So no we are not going to tell you whatever you want hear, and no when you call in and say you never had it, or you paid it..ofcourse we are going to ask questions and find out whats going on, do you really think we would say
"ok! have a great day!" Come on now thats dumb. 9 out of 10 times if you actually LISTEN to what we are saying you realize " oh i didnt pay that" or "oh i did cosign for someone" " oh i did have that company"
And most of all something that just drives me NUTS is when you people call in and act rude, yell, curse, or act like you just got you law degree from reading on a few web site...That will get you no where!!! Being rude or yelling just pisses us off then we are less likely to help you resolve anything! We are not bad people here what we do is legal and we take pride in our work many people thank us for helping them resolve something they couldnt. And yes i know debt collectors get a bad rep. but trust me call another collectio agentcy like NCO and we look like damn Marry Poppins!! So the next time you have a bad day and get a letter or just want to call and be RUDE just write a letter and save you self from screwing up someone elses day.

• Bo
    Bobbi Linn McAllister Mar 05, 2007

I received a letter of collections in the amount of $161.07 for a phone number that if in fact was mine, had to of existed over 10 years ago. I am unable to get them to provide me with a copy of the bill. They actually requested that I be specific in my dispute as to what I am disputing and I should send a copy of my drivers license. Before I became a full time Housewife and Mother, I was a collection agent. This is not the practice of someone legit. You call the number they provide, there is a recording that cannot take your call. You mail them a certified letter, they send no information. I hope everyone reading this will be wise to not send these people a check. Too much is being written on the net about them and their practices!

• Ta
    Tara Apr 24, 2007

I just received a collection notice from Afni, Inc. in the amount of $385.27 for an alleged "disconnected phone number" from Verizon California Inc. The phone number listed on the notice was one I have NEVER seen before. I immediately called Afni and the antagonistic person I spoke with repeatedly told me to 'just settle this now and give me your credit card number". Apparently the debt was from 1998 for a residence where I never lived. I called Verizon and they said they no longer have any information for me, but they do have record of selling Anfi the debt IN MY NAME! I have no idea how this could be and I don't know what to do. Even if this were real, isn't there a statue od limitations? And why has this never appeared on my credit report? Can someone help? I have done my research and it seems as though thousands of people have been scammed by Afni. I don't know where to start. Thanks!

• Se
    Seri Darling Apr 27, 2007

AFNI started harassing me about a bill that was supposibly taken care of years before. Said I owed 900.00 for Sprint and they sent me collections notices constantly I ignored since I had taken care of any bill with sprint years before. Then said they were taking me to court. So even though I'm a single mom and have almost no money paid the amount in payments. Couldn't afford court costs. They completely are taking advantage of people and should be stopped!

• Sc
    screwed mobile user May 04, 2007

Before I start, search this website just for "Afni" as opposed to "Afni, Inc" or "Afni Collections" and you will find a lot more results.

Same story as everyone else. A Verizon bill 10 years old. They can't provide any documentation on Verizon letter head. Cant explain why nobody contacted me in 10 years. Cant set up a payment plan. All they can do is accept a full payment over the phone, and if I say "no" then I am refusing to pay and my debt will go further into the system.

These guys are great.

• Me
    Melissa May 04, 2007

Look into this company... look into the status of limitation... look into what you need to do to dispute. Ask the company to provide you originals bills, payments made on the account, etc. This collection agency is SHADY!

• Nu
    Nunya bizznass May 18, 2007

These as***les are a phishing scam. I was told I owed a Verizon bill. All they had was the last four of my social security number and wanted me to verify the other digits. Do they think I am that [censored]ng stupid?

Then, I was directed to their website and received a letter in the mail. To clear me of the debt, all I had to do was give them a copy of my DL, citizenship and social security card. Again. Do they think I am that god damned stupid?

[censored] you, AFNI. [censored] you. Go s***r the next guy. [censored] you.

• Wi
    William Joy May 22, 2007

I have a bill dated May 4 2007 from Afni, Inc stating I had an old Verizon bill of $482.48. I couldn't believe what I was told when I questioned them about an six year old bill. The service was disconnected Sept 01, a month after I was reissued service in another state. The service rep said that they had acquired the account in Dec 2006 and they don't send out bills in December because nobody will pay them. Instead I get this bill in May with a thirty day notice attached with it threatening to go on my credit report. All I wanted was for someone to validate and verify the bill. It's been six years since I lived in the state in question and I had my doubts of that bill. I need to know who I can complain to about this. I could be paying a bogus bill and some company good be illegally getting my money. Verizon or Afni were no help. Afni just demanded I pay and threatened me about putting it on my credit report. I feel anyone has a right to question a bill that old and should be given all the details about it. My current address has been in public records for four years. Its hard for me to believe no one knew how to get in touch with me. I was just starting to get my credit together to purchase a condo.

Larry David May 31, 2007

They're requesting information from you b/c they don't have it in their system. Their debt is thus invalid. Dispute the debt and they must provide proof that you owe it in 30 days. If they cannot, the debt is invalid.

Larry David May 31, 2007

They're asking for this information b/c they need it in order for the debt to become valid. Simply dispute the debt via certified mail and request proof of it. Since they cannot provide that information, the debt becomes invalid in 30 days.

Larry David May 31, 2007

Dispute the debt via telephone and via certified mail... Request that they provide proof of the debt. If they cannot provide this proof in 30 days, the debt becomes in valid by law. (Typically they cannot b/c they don't have all the information, they have bad information, they don't have your full SS# or drivers license #, etc)

As stated in another thread, I worked for Afni briefly. I know exactly how it works and you honestly have nothing to fear. The chances of them tarnishing your credit report with poor information isn't very great. The legal repercussions you could take in that situation are stiff.

Larry David May 31, 2007

It's passed the statute of limitations. Ignore it, they're powerless.

• Ph
    Phil Young May 31, 2007

Today I received a collection letter from afni collection for a verizon bill with a phone number I never had, so I called the company and the rep told me to go to there web site and file a complaint for fraud, when I typed in the web address this site came up secondarily so I checked it out and so lots of complaints against this company. So I got right back on the phone to afni and told the rep if he did not take my name off this list for collections that my name is copywritten and I would sue them for every time they use my name to try and collect this debt! We will see what happens.

Larry David May 31, 2007

You can't copywrite your name, Phil. C'mon.

John Jun 07, 2007

I used to work for Afni as well. What Larry says is correct. And even if they do manage to get it on your credit report you can get it removed. In September it will be over 6 years and that's the statute of limitations for collection of debt in New York so just dispute it with the credit reporting agencies.

• Ge
    georgene summers Jun 26, 2007

I have not lived in NYC for nearly a decade and suddenly today I receive a collection letter from this company for a Verizon bill from 1996... 11 years ago. They have the wrong address and a telephone number that I never had. I called the company, the bill is supposedly for $199.00. My husband and I have Verizon Wireless service currently and have never been late. I have no idea what this is about but I do know that these people can ruin your credit regardless of whether it is your bill or not. They said they would send me a fraud package but I think they are the fraud. Let's get them to stop these practices with a huge lawsuit. I had a similar situation with Palisades Collection years ago and ended up paying the bill for nearly $400.00 even though they gave me no proof and the bill was not mine. I never lived in Florida and it was for a phone service, AT & T in Florida. They were wrecking my credit. I sent them a Fraud Package detailing that this was not my bill and they still refused to remove the black mark.

• Be
    Ben O Jun 27, 2007

There is no statue of limitations regarding collections but their is in how long it can appear on credit report which is seven years.

• Ri
    Rick Hemphill Jun 29, 2007

I have credit guard and in late April 2007, I received an alert indicating changes in my report. Obviously, I value my credit rating or I would not subscribe to Credit Gaurd. Well, "low and behold", AFNI has reported a collection items from Verizon that is more than 7-years old.

So I submitted a certified letter to them, indicating this must be fraud and please provide me documentation (itemized statement, signature, etc). I only received a summary statement and in researching, I discovered this was fraud committed on my college age daughter's calling card which I had given her.

Well when this occurred, we filed a police report and the person name who did it. Ironically, AFNI provide me a summary bill which reflects a credit for more than $1.100.00. Well Verizon acknowledge the fraud and told me I would receive credit.

Now I'm discovering that I was not given a full credit and they sold AFNI the so called debt and now they wont discuss with me and told me to call AFNI.

In an effort to save me more frustration and attempt resolve without getting legal counsel, I sent a letter and a check, requesting by endorsing and cashing the check, they will agree to remove it.

Well, I see the checked was cashed on 6/29/07 and will wait to see if it will be removed. I will remain committed to getting this gross injustice resolve and off my credit reports.

• Na
    nadeen pyne Jul 06, 2007

I was sent a collection notice from afni that i owed a verizon bill from 93' for $130 something. With a number i never had and address of a home my father lived years ago. They had my last four digits of my ss# and my date of birth and that really scared me. They wanted me to pay by 8 that night or i will have a bad credit report if i don't pay now. I felt this was a scam right away. I have had the same home and number for the last 22 yrs. I write them i wanted more information and i will be disputing.

Lily-Monet Jul 09, 2007

I just got one from the Palisades Collection agency for $103 from the Great Seneca bank as the original creditor. This is ridiculous, not only have I never heard of Great Seneca, the claim is from 2000--seven years ago without a single notice of debt? This sounds really fishy to me. I called and they are sending me a fraud report but it seems like a way to get more information about me.

• Na
    Natalie D. Robb Jul 25, 2007

I too have received a notice from this "company" claiming that I owe money to Verizon of Maryland for a phone number that we disconnected years ago after the death of my great aunt. The phone belonged to my great aunt who's outstanding bills were paid for by her estate not long after her death - Verizon was not one of the debts nor have we received anything from Verizon between then and now to indicate that money was owed. To top it off, the notice from AFNI is addressed to my great aunt but at my current address. I sent them a certified, receipt request letter that stated just this, highlighting the fact that this is not my debt and to stop contacting me.

I don 't have high hopes that this will suffice after reading other posts to this site but I will see what happens.

• Ho
    Home Jul 25, 2007

Below is a good format to use when dealing with Afni or other scam debt collectors. Another 'Verizon' scam. I have never had Verizon as a phone carrier and I have never even owned a cell phone! I haven't lived in the state they claim its from for over a decade. It seems they figure Verizon's customer service is bad and went back 10-12 year old phone books and mass-mailed out these 'chain letters' with random amounts to many people figuring at one point we all had / have a cell phone and are or have been Verizon customers. If you use the below letter, make sure you send it certified mail and send copies of your reply and their letter(s) to the Illinois and your home state Atty General's office as well as file a complaint with the US postal service. DO NOT give them any information such as ssn, phone #, drivers license, etc.

Afni, Inc.
    P.O.Box 3427
    Bloomington, IL [protected]

Re: Dispute of Collection Action: Case # <insert acct #>

On <date> I received a written notice of the claimed debt, a copy of which is attached.

This is to inform you that I dispute the debt because <explain here>. I am hereby requesting that you confirm the fact that I owe this debt as required by any applicable state and federal laws. Please contact the creditor to obtain verification.

In addition, under the provisions of state and federal Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (FDCPA), Fair Credit Reporting Act (FCRA), and related consumer statutes, I am hereby instructing you that you are to cease collection of the debt while efforts are made to obtain verification. Until you resolve this error with the creditor, you should neither contact me nor anyone else except the creditor about this collection.

Furthermore, any reporting of this matter to a credit reporting agency is premature. Until you have investigated my dispute, you should not relay negative information to a credit reporting agency. If negative information has already been reported, you will need to notify the agency to remove said report until the investigative process is over so that my credit report remains accurate, or at the very least, my credit report should be updated to reflect my dispute.

Your next contact with me should be either notice that the creditor has failed to provide verification of the debt and that the matter has been closed or that you believe that this debt is valid and are providing proof of my responsibility. If the former, please confirm that I am not being held responsible for the debt in writing and also that if the account has already been noted on my credit report, that you will contact the bureau(s) in question to have the account removed. If the latter, I expect that you will provide me with an explanation as to why you have decided not to remove this account from collections and a copy of all documents relevant to the debt such as the application, bills, records of communications and payments, and any other data that indicates my responsibility.

I am instructing you not to contact any third parties such as my employer, neighbors, friends or family members. In addition, you may not contact me by phone at work or at my home about this collection activity. All future correspondence should be sent to me in writing.

I am also forwarding a copy of this letter and all correspondence to the Illinois and <your home state> Attorney General's offices and The U.S. Postal Inspector.

I look forward to your acknowledgment that you have received this notice by <date allowing 2 weeks for response>.

Sincerely,

---------------------------------------

your name

• El
    Elizabeth Bair Jul 26, 2007

I received a letter from Afni stating that I owed Verizon New York $307.00. When I contacted them they stated this was a debt from [protected]. I informed them that I intended to dispute the debt and also stated that the 13 years were beyond the Statute of Limitations for this type of debt collection. They informed me that there was no such thing. I believe this to be in poor business practices to attempt to convince someone something does not exist even after being informed that this was verified wit the NY State Attorney Generals web site.

• Su
    sucker01 Aug 28, 2007

I too received and old Verizon bill from 1998 for a bill that was not mine. I called to complain to Verizon and basically they said they never cross check social security numbers before sending to collections. Mind you I had a valid Verizon account at that time and still do and have never received any late notices. I told them that I am so angry that I am considering canceling my service. They really don't care. Why isn't the government stopping these scams? I told Afni that the bill isn't mine and there is a statue of limitations in California. I also told them my next letter will be to the State Attorney General. Does anyone know if there is a class action suit to stop these ###s...

Plz advise smb!

Larry Byers Sep 01, 2007

I received a collections notice from this so called Collection company, Afni. They stated that I owed $112.80 for a phone I had when I lived in Le Grande Oregon, 10.5 years ago!!! The company then was GTE and now it is Verison. When I called Verison, they told me that they did not even have my name in their computer system.

When I moved from LeGrande, I left a forwarding address and another thing, a friend of mine moved right into the duplex that I moved out of and the best of all, that duplex belongs to my sister, so if a phone bill would have came, for me, they would have made sure to get it to me.

These guys need to be stopped because they are probably taking money from older people that do not know better, have no access to a computer to see that they are a scam.

• Ta
    Tammy Wright Sep 06, 2007

First off check with your state on the statue of limitations (MOST LIKELY ITS UP) which means you have every right to demand they stop contacting you and if they don't you can sue them. They cant collect on a bill that the SOL is up on.

• Da
    Dawn Mistler Sep 19, 2007

I also got a letter from AFNI, it clearly stated the BOUGHT this collection from Verizon. The bill is over 4 years old and was paid way back then.To prove how bogus this is, last year we refinanced our home. (august of 2006) any bills we owed were paid in full, this includes 1 small collection my husband had. There was no Verizon collection on the credit report. so if we owed why wasn't it there last year. These guys are bottom feeding ###. I wouldn't pay a thing to them!!!

Beware people!

• De
    Dee Dee Barnes Sep 25, 2007

On September 13, 2007 I called and settled a debt with the collection department of AFNI. The debt was paid and should have left a zero balance seven days later they post the same account an my credit report as derogatory, and on a different credit bureau they posted it as paid. This is nerve racking when you are attempting to fix your credit and you have a collection agency that pulls stunts such as this.

Jessica Holmes Sep 28, 2007

I received a bill in the mail stating that I owed Afni 438.00 for a bill from a long time ago. The number listed was a Washington State phone number ( a land line) and it was from 1996. I have not lived in Washington, I live in Tn and did so in 1996. When I called afni they said it was tied to names John and Deborah and asked if I knew them. The scary thing was they gave my husbands social! I refused to give any socials to them and I told them to give me the one they had on file and they gave me my husbands ssn! I found this was from a verizon land line and phoned verizon... needless to say verizon had no history of such a bill and concluded we had no bill with them ever! I was alarmed and filed the necessary complaints with bbb and verizon and put a FRAUD alert on our credit reports since we were in the process of buying a home. This is very important to do! I received a "letter" from Afni stating they were sorry for the mistake and had corrected the problem with my "account".

BEWARE!!!

• Ke
    kenneth storla Sep 29, 2007

I don't have verizon and am being billed with a bad credit reporting. I can't find the company to even give me proof of the bill I don't owe. Why hasn't the AG's office closed them down...

Beware!

• Ti
    Tim J Oct 15, 2007

This company claims to say that i owe them 475.00 past due on a verizon account that I have never owned nor resided at. I contacted verizon and they say that all my accounts are current and there are no records that I owe anything to them. This company is a scam artist at its best. DO NOT PAY THEM PEOPLE contact your local attorney general as well as the local better business bureau of the city they claim to reside in. Mine was Illinois. And also when you try to get them to show you proof of the alleged debt they cant just a letter. I contacted all 3 credit reporters and they show nothing of this alleged debt.

Beware!

• Ni
    nigel robinson Oct 16, 2007

I was trying to get an apartment due to the fact i just returned from the middle East. however my credit report reflect a bill from cingular for $2019.72. I called them and explained there was never an account with me and them and that they will make a note of it. They also said they could not resolve the account due to the fact they sold it to AFNI. i was then directed to AFNI.

I called AFNI where they told me that i would have to file for identity theft. due to the fact that the bill was going to my fathers address over the past five years while i was away. They said that i should file an identity theft form against my father. I said of course am not going to file an identity theft report against my father. I told the customer care that i spoke with my father and he had nothing to do with it. He then gave me a phone number to order some forms for fraud and to mail them a copy. Why do i have to do all this jig for something i never signed up for? Beware people!

• So
    socaldude Oct 16, 2007

I received my Afni SCAM today. So can we all do a class-action lawsuit for these illegal scams? If anyone is interested in suing Afni, Inc class-action style, feel free to email me at [protected]@my1life.com. I know a great lawyer who will love to get his teeth in this one!

Jeff Lane Oct 16, 2007

Like so many other complaints on Afni, I got a letter saying that I owed Verizon NY money from 1993. I sent them a letter demanding that they prove I owed money. I specifically requested 1) copies of every bill from Verizon during the period in question, and 2) proof that the account was closed with an outstanding balance. Nothing more.

Today I received a letter stating "we have investigated your dispute related to the referenced account. Based on the investigation this account has been closed. Afni, Inc. will take no further collection action."

The moral: Don't give in to their scam. They have no legal basis for collecting on these very old debts, and they know it. Good luck.

• Te
    ted kroup Oct 31, 2007

I just received a bill from Afni stating that I owe for a phone bill from 1992-93. I never had a phone when I lived in Ohio and the address that they have listed for me is not one that I lived at. The scarey thing is that they have my SS#!!! I have called them a few times but get no where w/ them. When I went on line to dispute this they wanted more personal info. I am not going to give that to them since I think that they are the ones committing the fraud not anyone else. They said I could call FTC but when I contacted them they said they do not investigate, that they would send the info to Afni so they could investigate fraud. Well once again I do not want Afni to have that info because I believe they are the fraudulent ones!!! The other thing I wonder is if they have my SS# and if this was a legit bill then why did it take so long to contact me. I have not been in Ohio since 1994 and like I said earlier I NEVER had a phone there!!!

Jona Nov 01, 2007

Just so you all know I received a letter today from Afni, it says.

"This letter is to inform you that we have investigated your dispute related to the referenced account. Based on the investigation this account has been closed. Afni, will take no farther collection action."

So, once they couldn't provide me with the 13 yr old phone bill, they had to close the account. Make sure EVERYONE sends in the proper paperwork to dispute the claims.

Good Luck to everyone who has problems.

• Sc
    scott selsor Nov 02, 2007

I just got a bill from them from 1998! I paid it because they convinced me it was real, although I doubted it. Then I googled them and saw it's fraud! I'm going to cancel my check tomorrow... I would love to sue them. Let me know what else is happening with this... scott.

• De
    Dee Call Nov 05, 2007

I'm in, tell me where to sign up. They are trying to collect a so called "debt" from a phone number in an area that I haven't lived in over 9 years. Additionally when buying a home in 2000 I had to pay any collections I had outstanding so this is RIDICULOUS. Furthermore the people at AFNI pointed me to their site to file a fraud affidavit which doesn't even exist on the page!! This is despicable. I have a 750 plus credit score and will not pay these individuals one cent!

Linda Steffen Nov 11, 2007

I got a letter from this "collections agency" Friday afternoon stating that I owed Verizon North Inc. a grand whopping total of $2137.93 from a phone number that "I" had in 1998, yet this is the first that I've ever heard of this supposed bill.
    So I called them to let them know that 1. I never resided at the address in question, nor the state in which the bill was run up, 2. That I was 17, and moved from MI to NC in 1993 3. The house they are speaking about was torn down when I was SIX long before the bill was run up in 1999.
    They told me that they wanted copies of my NC Id, and now my PA ID......Ok, so NOT going to happen! They said that since "someone" used my information to set up this account, I still owe them the money........
    I need to ask, what kind of phone company lets a phone bill at a residence get to over $2Grand without shutting the service off??
    How do I get them to remove my name from their collections????
    I seriously need to get this resolved ASAP!!!!

Linda Steffen Nov 11, 2007

Hi, I was just wondering how you got Afni to do this?
    I got a collections letter from them on Friday, but the number, and address from the number were never mine, in fact the house where they "phone" was in my name was torn down in 1981, and the number was valid in MI in 1998, and when I was 17 in 1993 I moved with my mother and step father to NC, where I lived until I got married seven years ago and now live in PA......yet they insist that I owe them over $2grand!
    I could use all the help I could get!!!!

Jeffrey Warren Call Nov 12, 2007

I found that I have a fradulant account listed on my Equifax Credit Report. The creditor seems to be Verizon, the phone number has a 201 area code and I have no idea where that would be a valid, certainly not here, in Everett, Washington! The collection agency is listed as AFNI and it seems to have been opened in 10/2007 YET is listed as a Closed Account. I am furious! This is the ONLY item listed on my Credit Report! Please make these people STOP scamming and HELP u;s to clear our good names!