Having problems with ABSA Bank?

ABSA Bank reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Apr 29, 2008. The latest review Fraud department was posted on Sep 13, 2021. The latest complaint finance agent was resolved on Jul 11, 2018. ABSA Bank has an average consumer rating of 1 stars from 1028 reviews. ABSA Bank has resolved 54 complaints.

ABSA Bank Customer Service Contacts

+27 860 008 600 (General Enquiries)
+27 860 557 557 (Fraud Hotline)
+27 800 414 141 (Complaint Resolution Suite)
+27 115 015 050 (Lost & Stolen Cards)
+27 115 015 110 (Digital Banking)
+27 113 354 019 (Retail International Banking)
+27 860 109 085 (Credit Cards (Premium)
+27 861 114 411 (Credit Cards (Gold Card)
+27 861 788 888 (Absa Rewards)
+27 860 111 630 (Car Insurance)
+27 861 227 284 (Travel Insurance)
+27 113 504 000 (Head Office, Johannesburg)
7th Floor, Barclays Towers, West 15 Troye Street
Johannesburg
South Africa - 5241
Locations

Retail International Banking
Service Centre
170 Main Street, Johannesburg, 2001

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with ABSA Bank Customer Service. Initial ABSA Bank complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for ABSA Bank above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about ABSA Bank. Discuss the issues you have had with ABSA Bank and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

ABSA Bank Complaints & Reviews, Page 49

ABSAnotification

Did ABSA send me this notification???

Valued Customer,

A payment has been made to your account, your account statement have been attached.
click to download the attachment and directly login to our secure server to verify your details and login to view your statement.
We have upgraded our security preferences of all our online account holders to protect your statement by verifying your online identities from our server to verify your credentials

Regards.

Payment Refunds Notifications Department.

Absa Security Advisor
________________________________________
The Internet Banking Team © ABSA Group 2012

ABSA Cape Townemploying criminals

I was told by a friend about an Absa secretary that has gone into several peoples accounts including hers. This Absa employee did not have any consent and is still employed at Absa despite her manager finding out about her doing this on a previous occasion. I feel violated knowing that any Absa employee can access my Absa account without my knowledge!
    I really think this is disgusting and a criminal offence!!!

My friend tried to complain to Claremont branch manager only to find out that the Absa employee has recently moved to a Cape Town branch and no one can give her the managers number...

ABSAvechile finance

I need to know what happen to my car. ABSA reposesed my car, I been phoning and phoning, the one employee listen to the story, say yes we can sort it out, then they can't send me to the next employee, same story and the next and the next. I need help, I need to know what is going on/ ABSA has bad bad bad client service

ABSA Bankdid not execute my insurance cancellation request

On 24-11-2011, I submitted the cancellation forms for my property structural insurance to ABSA Bank, Wolff street, Kempton Park. ABSA Bank has not processed this request and has now deducted the premium of R6276.88 for the following year. On the [protected] It took me 2 hours at ABSA, Woodbridge Square, Kempton Park, to formalise my complaint. After presenting a copy of my initial cancellation request, it was promised to me by the Manageress of Woodbridge branch to have this request re-processed. It is now the third day and still no luck. This is causing me great inconvenience as there will be not enough funds for my debit orders on my account. My bond has been paid in full since March 2007. The ABSA Insurance policy no. is [protected] and my name is K.T.Kelly

ABSA Bank — refusing to close credit card account

I am hoping someone can assist me. I had a credit card with ABSA Bank, was in arrears and was subsequently...

ABSA Banklong delay on phone answering

I did a swift transfer Friday the 4th .The money is out of my UK account but not showing in my South African account. upon trying to phone international forex division . the message was we value your call(20 times) so obviously not .Also 'We are experiencing high call volumes' when have they not??'It would be fairer to say we are too mean to employ enough people to answer the phone we would rather get you to spend your money on the phone.

ABSA iDirect — car insurance

Hi All. Its with deep regret that I have to send this email, but I feel that it is necessary. I have been...

ABSA — illegal advertising of sex services

I was on facebook and stumbled on this ABSA employee on facebook by chance. She is an ABSA employee in...

ABSAharassment

Made a late payment to Absa instead o f paying on 28/09 I paid
            on 30/09. As from 12/10 I start receiving phone calls that I had not
            paid my account. The more I explained the more calls I received.
            telecalls 12/10 14/10 15/10 17/10 and 18/10. This upset me terribly as my next installment due date was 25/10.
            Today 18/10 I receive another statement due date 02/11 and the
            installment due has doubled. How can they send two statements
            1 dated 28/09 due 25/10 and the other 29/09 to 06/10 due 02/11
            and then decide to harrass me for another payment?

• Ro
                Rozz Atanassova Oct 27, 2011

Thank you very much for your feedback. Please note that we are active on our Facebook page (http://www.facebook.com/Absa.Bank
                ) and we encourage you to engage with us there, alternatively please e-mail your details to [email protected] and we will get in touch with you

• Ms
                MS03 Oct 18, 2011

I am having the same problem with Absa where they are phoning me
                every 2nd day due to a late payment. Its not that I havent paid and they are harassing me. I have now received two statements 1 due 25/10 another due 02/11 and they have doubled my installment.

ABSA Private Security Provident Fund — provident fund

My name is Lloyd Oliver I have been trying to get my provident fund from ABSA for over a month now. My...

ABSA iDirectcar insurance claim

I am very angry and dissatisfied with the servive rendered by Absa Idirect, my car was involved in an accident on the 4th of July 2011, it took more than a month to get authorization, the pennel beater in Louis trichadt(makhado) released the car unfinished, the car was hit infront and at the back, the pennel beater only fixed the front part, the back part is not done infact it was made worse because the screws which the pennel beater took out of the car were not even replaced, I am unsatisfied with this shody service. The courtesy car was offered for two weeks and extended for another two weeks, i do not understand how do i travel for three months without transport, now i am taking back the car to the penel beater, i do not have transport. CAN SOMEBODY HELP IN THIS SITUATION, I THINK IS NOT ON, i am frustrated, i had thought taking insurance will help during crisis but i think your service is adding more stress and frustration.

• Ig
                  I govender Apr 01, 2015

I am currently having the same issues with ABSA idirect

• Mi
                  Mike Jacobson Oct 04, 2011

I totally agree with you. I have also been waiting for over a month to get authorization, and everytime I try to contact contact the loss adjustor who's handling my claim he never answer!
                  I'm in a position where I dont have a clue as to what is happening with my claim. This definately has to be the worst insurance company ever!!!

ABSA Checque Accountno service

FROM:
                • [protected]@absa.co.za
                TO:
                • [protected]@rocketmail.com
                Message flagged
                Tuesday, August 23, 2011 6:09 PM

REF : [protected]

I applied for an ABSA Checque account online. Also see ref no and date that ABSA sent reply message, above. Received e-mail confirmation, but I had to call ABSA on numerous occasions myself, for follow up and could not be assited, up to date. I have been sent from pilar to post to get a response, and I am still awaiting a reply or any response from ABSA bank. (Please check your so-called recorded data). This is not the first time I am having trouble with service delivery at ABSA. Neither is this my first complaint lodged.

I congratulate ABSA bank, once more, for NON-Service Excellence!! Well DONE guys, keep it up!!

As of 2009, since my earliest encounter with your bad service, we succesfully managed to encourage 14 clients to bank at real banks, and will send this message to all small business owners. As a small fish in a big pond, the big pond has numerously warned me about ABSA bank. Now I can see why hundreds of clients are moving their businesses to other banks. Thanks again for this eye-opener!

To date, ABSA had not care to follow up with my application for a checque account. It seems that they don't need new business or they simply don't care.

Believe me, this trend does not go unnoticed by large companies and wealthy potential clients for ABSA.

Don't even bother to respond to this message. I know that you will ONLY give me a ref no, for lodging a complaint, and that is where it ends...!!! Rather check the statistics on your client declination!!

My regrets,
                Johan Prinsloo
                [protected]

ABSA Bankemployees taking money to bars

I was having an afternoon drink a while back and a lady by the name of Beulah(I believe her surname is Muller, but I'm not sure) was there. Well, I witnessed something that did NOT impress me as I also bank with ABSA and that could have been my money. While there she had a very big bank bag with her, with quite a bit of money in it, she was flaunting it around and showing all her friends what she had taken home with her. What if someone, not so nice had seen her, and decided to attack her and take all that money? Like I said it could also have been my money. Also, while there, I got to talking to some of her friends and found out that, she goes into their bank accounts and checks their balances and does stuff for them that is not so savoury. I also heard that she exchanges money (I know you need a passport and airplane ticket to get international money) for them without the sufficient paper work. I am in general NOT a complainer, but this has been bothering me for quite sometime now and finally I just thought it best to say something. I am also seriously contemplating changing banks as this is unacceptable behaviour for a bank employee. I'm also wondering if it's not perhaps a good idea to take this to the newspapers as other people should know about this and that ABSA is letting their employees get away with stuff like this.

ABSA Trust — violation of human rights

My wife, 5 year old daughter and I stay in a house we built – out of our pocket with our money with...

ABSA Home Loansunfair treatment

Being a loyal absa client for 10 to 15 years, left me in great dissapointment. On the 10th of June 2011, i applied for the further loan to do the rennovations on my property.The application dragged for a very long period, though i was promised it will only take 3 to 5 working days. In that long waiting period, on the 27/06/2011 i was then called, and dissapointedly, not even approved on what i put on the table, far less than that. I then, the following day declined the offer. On the 4th of July 2011, i decided to go to absa branch in pretoria north, and i was told, the small offer was due to the evaluation of my existing property, which i dont know how was it done, cos no one came and did that at my place. The consultant in Pretoria North adviced me to reapply, but really this left me with just dissappointment as i know im also paying R2800.00 more in my existing bond. I am also considering leaving ABSA BANK and market the better BANK with better services.

ABSAcannot logon

I am trying to logon to the internet banking, but for the last week I cannot get onto the internet bank website

• Mo
                          Motlalepule Phete Jul 27, 2011

I cant logon to my absa internet banking and is been months, all i need is the pin to access my account via internet.

• Lj
                          L J Swanepoel Jul 26, 2011

I can not find the Absa logon page on internet????

• Ri
                          RIETTE MULDER Jul 08, 2011

Ek probeer ook al die afgelope week by Absa se internetbankdienste uitkom, maar tevergeefs!! Ek het ook 'n week terug by 'n ATM R60.00 se MTN-telefoontyD gekoop wat nounog nie op die foon gelaai is nie. Absa amptenaar in Brackenfelltak se ek moet dit met MTN uitklaar.. WAT GAAN AAN MET JUL DIENS ABSA????? R. Mulder

• Bj
                          B J Steyn Jul 01, 2011

My password has been blocked and therefore I cannot access my account.
                          Please fix this now (as in immediately!!)
                          My cell number is [protected].
                          I am waiting for your explanation/phonecall.

B J Steyn

• Me
                          Meagan Davids Jun 28, 2011

iI am trying to access my internet banking account but it keeps tellin me to use a valid account number and pin. Acoording to me I have entered the correct numbers.

• Ph
                          Phumlile Sovendle Jun 27, 2011

I am trying to logon to the internet banking but caanot as it state that I must check my access acount or pin or user of which they are all correct according to me.

ABSA Bankcredit card

Dear Absa
                        Two weeks ago I was contacted by your call centre for an application for a credit card. Afterwards I was told that the application was succesfull and that the Knysna branch would contact me on delivery of my credit card.
                        Three days later ...I got the call and was told that I had to bring my ID book and fetch my card. After standing nearly an hour in line I was told everything is fine but they need a proof of residence and a pay slip.Once again I complied. After standing for nearly another hour and a half in line I was taken one side and told that my paperwork is not right and that everything is still fine but that I should keep on trying because they want me to be part of the family. Now I want to know why do you guys tell a person everything is fine and then we must nearly beg you to give us the cards that was already approved.

Vaughn Smit
                        Area Manager
                        Western Cape
                        Email: [protected]@rossieng.co.za
                        Cell: [protected]

ABSA Bankdouble bank charge

On 26 May 2011 double bank charges was taken off my account. I called Absa bank, they said they would rectifiy the problem. My bank statement still shows the double bank charge and the error was not rectified. I will go to Absa bank on 1 June 2011 after my debit orders have come off and the double bank charge rectified to close my account.

ABSA Bankservice

It is with utter shock and sadness that I write this complaint, My father has been a client of Absa for approximately forty years. In this time he has used many of the absa products and services available, home loans, cheque accounts, overdraughts, business banking and trust accounts to name a few. In the last few weeks our family has suffered a financial crisis. My father approached absa today to ask for help as it has become obvious that he will not be receiving an income for the next few months. His PRIMARY property is paid up and he has decided to put the house on the market. When he approached absa today, they very bluntly told him its not their problem? I read the absa website and was looking at the extensive list of services absa has to offer, and it became glaringly obvious, that giving a hoot, was not one of them! Forty years of loyalty? To Absa, how do you justify this?

• Ha
                                Hannatjie Delport Jun 13, 2016

A few months ago ABSA asked for new FICA documents. Firstly it was not necessary as we did not change anything on the account. We did give them then all the FICA, but twice a month my account get blocked. It is a business account of a guest house and the manager stood stranded at the till with all groceries bought for breakfast. This is now getting very annoying and all I get from ABSA is apologies for inconvenience and then it just happens again.
                                I think my next step in Carte Blanche or I do not know what.

• Go
                                Goldreef Village Jan 17, 2012

Overdraft facility
                                1. On December 9th 2011 we applied for bridging finance of R 160 000.00
                                2. On January 10th 2012 we were informed that the facility has been approved.
                                3. Copies of rules and regulations were requested and delivered to your Brakpan branch a few days later.
                                4. This morning we were informed that the facility has not yet been loaded? What is inferred? Do we have the facility or not?
                                Please respond by return

DJ Bester
                                Chairman
                                Goldreef Village

GiGi White May 27, 2011

Its just frustrating that for 45 years he has been a loyal customer of this bank, used every service available to him that they offered. The plan for his retirement was to sell his house when it is paid up. He has been running a small company for about four years and that fell apart a few weeks ago so selling the house has become immenent. Its just that now that he is old and almost not "worth" anything they refuse to help? It is the spirit of entitlement, because in my opinion if you are loyal to an institute your whole life, the least they can do is hear you out when you need help. My other question is that when his property is sold and he is in posession of the money, does he still remain loyal? Would they still not take the time to listen to him when he needs help?l

GiGi White May 27, 2011

His income has come to a halt, he is not spending anything or asking for "spending" money. We need debit orders covered and those are not luxuries, its medical aid and insurances.we also don't need the help forever. He is selling his property that is worth 900 thousand and he doesn't owe anything on it. Surely they could use that as security towards the whole 40 000 he is asking for. He has never once in the 45 yrs of banking with them been in this position. He is 63 and can't just walk out the door and get work. Surely somewhere they can even TRY negotiate to even help him just pay medical? My mother is recovering from cancer and cannot afford to not have medical, that is 2600 per month AGAIN its not millions we need to go splashing out, its for a short while to survive?

GiGi White May 26, 2011

He has realised that he will not be able to honour his debit orders for a few months (+- R8000) and asked them if they could help him. They told him its not their problem, because of his age and lack of income they were not interested. They would however not charge him any fees when the debit order bounces.

ABSAno payment

I had my bedroom flooded in the 1st week feb 2011 due to a geyser valve. On contacting absa, they agreed that i could engage a contractor immediately for the repairs. This was done, the invoices were sent to absa - and i waited. Last week they sent someone to give me a quote - yes, last week! It is now 4 may 2011, i have called them 4 times (Wait 15mins to get through) & written 3 emails. Everytime promises are made that they will sort out the problem. . . But i'm still waiting. Today i received a settlement form for someone else!!! What sort of company is this? I most certainly will be moving my insurance when i eventually get my payment.

jabulani Aug 14, 2011

I am just about going to join this company but already i can see "cracks" on the service. First of all i asked to be send the contract (terms and condition) documentation to familiarize myself with. I was denied as they told me that first i had to give my personal details including my bank account. Also on the first call there was not disclosure that there was an extra "joining" once off charge. This was disclosed once i have agreed to give my bank account and cancelled my other car insurance company.
                                  Once i got the documentation i called them to discuse few clauses that worried me ...i was told kindly that it was going to take care of and they shoudl CONFIRM by e-mail as what we did agreed on our telephono conversation.
                                  So far nothing has happen. So i find the service not up to standard at all and certainly not CLIENT FRIENDLY.