Menu

H
Author of the complaint
7:24 pm EDT
Featured review
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I am a former customer of Aaron's Sales and Lease Ownership in Greenville, SC. I returned the merchandise due to the way I was treated by the district manager, Bobby. I called 10 days prior to the due date of my payment to inquire about how the payment holiday worked. Bobby spoke to me in a very condescending way. He said that he had to know what the problem was because the didn't just give payment holidays out like welfare. I was astonished at the tone he took with me! I have paid 4 agreements and was very upset that loyal customers are treated this way. I complained to Bobby's manager with very little resolve. I decided to return the merchandise.

Several weeks later I received a call from Bobby asking what could be done to get my business back. My fiancee and I went in to the store and spoke with an associate named Cory who told us that they had the bedroom set we wanted and that it was brand new in the box, but he couldn't show it to us because it was at a different location. He instructed me to call Nadia at the White Horse Rd store and let her know that I wanted to look at it. I didn't see the need to look at a bedroom set in the box and especially since I had the set previously. Several days went by and I received a call from Cory asking when delivery could be set up. We scheduled delivery.

The set was delivered and WAS NOT new out of the box. It had several knick and scracthes on it. Red paint was on one side. The previous owner tried to touch up damage with what looked like white out. The back of the headboard was also badly damaged. My fiancee ok'd the furniture before the delivery crew left. When I went in to look at it and saw all the damage, I immediately called the the store and spoke with Cory. I told him I did not want that furniture due to its condition. He stated that he would call around and find another set. Someone by the name of Preston called me and told me to go by the Easley, SC store and look at a set and see if I liked it. I went by as requested and I agreed to take that set. I called Preston at the Greenville, SC store to set up delivery. Delivery was set for the following Monday after 5pm. When noone had showed up at 730pm, I called the store to see if it had been rescheduled. I spoke to Bobby who informed me that there was no delivery scheduled. I explained to him what Preston and Cory told me and he said that wasn't going to happen. I then told him to make arrangements to get his trash asap.

When the delivery guys came to pick up the furniture they phoned Bobby who asked to speak with me. I refused. I didn't have anything to say. Bobby called my cell many times. Finally my finacee answered and Bobby told him that I had damaged the property and that they would press charges. I have yet to hear from them other to send me a $50 gift card.

I feel as though this company takes advantage of people who have bad credit. Pay in cash if you need items. Don't do business with Aaron's.

1 comments
J
Nov 14, 2011 5:22 pm EST

sounds familiar

Lawsuit Filed Against Aaron’s, Inc. Regarding Alleged Improper Practices

Lawsuit claims that Aaron’s, Inc. repeatedly breaches rent-to-own contracts, violates state usury laws, and engages in unfair business practices.

Atlanta, Georgia (PRWEB) November 11, 2011

Atlanta law firm Webb, Klase & Lemond, LLC has filed a class action lawsuit against Aaron’s, Inc., one of America’s leading rent-to-own companies with over 1, 900 total stores. Aaron’s leases furniture, appliances, and electronics to consumers usually with the promise that, after a certain number of payments have been successfully completed, the consumer will own the items.

The new lawsuit alleges that Aaron’s has breached its lease agreements by refusing to provide pay-off information to consumers and through other improper practices. The suit further asserts that the company has used unfair business practices, false advertising, and misrepresentations to induce customers to enter lease agreements that are not as favorable for the consumer as represented. The claims also include unjust enrichment. The case, styled Clark v. Aaron’s, Inc., is pending in the Superior Court of Fulton County Georgia and has been assigned Case Number 2011-CV-207622.

According to the suit, Aaron’s rent-to-own business model is in reality the extension of credit through consumer loans disguised as leases for the purchase of goods. The suit alleges that the difference between the market value of the goods and the total amount of payments made by a consumer constitutes interest. State usury laws, such as the civil and criminal usury statutes in Georgia, impose a cap on the amount of interest that may be charged by a lender. The suit alleges that Aaron’s repeatedly violates these laws.

Further, the suit alleges that Aaron’s deceptively markets its well-known offer of “120-days same as cash.” According to the complaint, this offer purports to allow consumers to buy their furniture, appliances, or electronics from Aaron’s for their market value so long as the consumer pays in full within four months. The deception, as alleged in the suit, is that Aaron’s regularly and proactively attempts to prevent consumers from taking advantage of the 120-day offer by failing to provide them with their outstanding balance or pay-off amount in a timely and appropriate manner.

If you wish to discuss this action or have any questions concerning this press release, please contact John Lyon, Esq. by e-mail or by calling [protected].

ADVERTISIMENT

Learn how the rating is calculated

609 complaints