24 Protect Plusinternet fraud — protect yourself from them!

G

Okay. I learned all this the hard way.

What actually happens here is that once you have used Intelius, they send you an e-mail which usually goes straight into everyone's spam folder, since it reads as spam. The e-mail itself is an opt-out for the 14.95 monthly recurring fee for 24 Protect Plus or AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V (the charge which showed up on my statement) or any number of the umbrella sites they use to 'protect' you from identity theft. Since the spam filter catches it, most people never even see the thing, and since you have to respond to the e-mail to opt-out, you are now getting charged monthly fees for a service you did not sign up for.

My solution was to cancel my credit card, alert my bank that I had been a victim of internet fraud, and call both Intelius and 24 Protect Plus and have them refund my money.

I was extremely angry when I got through to both companies, needless to say. The operator at Intelius gave me the number for 24 Protect Plus and also took my name off the site. The operator at 24 Protect Plus was not fazed in the slightest when I told her that she was working for a company that is literally stealing from people. She just gave a resigned sigh and told me that I would see my money refunded within two business days. I have a feeling they hear this constantly. Sure enough, they refunded my money.

Since I now have a new credit and debit card, they can't steal from me any longer.

What is interesting is that if you google AP9*PMIDENTITY.COM-V, the first site that comes up is one for a class action lawsuit against 24 Protect Plus, who are owned by a company named Vertrue. I strongly urge everyone who has been ripped off by this company--Vertrue owns many other sites, including “Simply You,” “Homeworks Plus,” “Galleria,” “24 Assistance,” “24 Protect Plus,” “Lifestyle Rewards,” “Health Plus,” “Simple Escapes,” “Passport to Fun,” “Privacy Plus,” and “Privacy Matters”--to add their names to the list. If you've been ripped off by any one of these companies, add your name to the list. The web address is:

This is internet fraud plain and simple, but if you work at it you will get your money back. Good luck to all of you and I hope the information I've provided above is of some assistance to you.

• Re
    RegiDaws Apr 09, 2010

I just found these folks have been hitting me up for gradually increasing fees since Feb 2007.

Changing your credit card number won't help. I changed it for another reason, and these crooks didn't miss a beat: someone informed them of my new card number and the charges kept coming.

Do they care that I'm an old person with poor vision who hasn't been checking for strange entries on my bills? Nope.

My credit card company says they can get back up to 120 days of my stolen money. They offered to change my card number... but I declined, since these companies have ways of getting your new card number, no problem. My electric company isn't so smart, they cut my electricity without notice, and charged me a re-connection fee... THEIR way of scamming me.

I live alone; I'm too old to protect myself. I need someone to make deposits, pay my bills, and give me an allowance, I guess. Can I find an honest person on Craigs List to do my bookeeping, Can I find a person on Craigs List to do my book keeping, or will I just find another thief? Wish me luck….

Reggie
    reggie at folkdancers.net

• Su
    Susan kirby Dec 05, 2009

The same thing happened to me and I have threatened 24ProtectPlus with a class action law suit. I believe that Intellius would also be liable in this case. Please contact me if you are interested in this, we may not get any money back but we could shut these guys down. [email protected]

• In
    Intelius_Customer_Support Nov 02, 2009

It sounds like you have accepted a third party company’s offer that is advertised on the Intelius website. If you no longer wish to be enrolled in that third party company’s service, please call [protected] Monday – Friday 4:30am – 9:00pm PST. We will be more than happy to assist you.

• Je
    Jessica Apr 23, 2009

I think they're banking on the fact that many people do not check their bank statements or account activity to catch these things... I just saw it hit my account today and I used Intellius about 3 weeks ago. I can't believe Intellius allows them to obtain my credit card information. Lame. Anyway, hope this info is helpful:

The number that showed up on my bank statement: [protected]

The email address from which I received confirmation of my account cancellation: [email protected]

• Bo
    Bob Hill Apr 16, 2009

Does anyone have a direct number to 24protectplus so I can make them return my money.

• Bo
    Bob Hill Apr 16, 2009

This site is full of information about 24protectplus. I tried to call them directly, but only got their recording which wants my membership number and card number that was defrauded. I don't want to give them this info since I am not a "member". Do you know how to get through to them personally so I can have the money refunded. Thanks

mary ketron loesch Dec 27, 2007

I want you to stop taking money out of my account that means your company now thank you, i'am closing my bank account for you will stop taking money. I do not want your service at all.