Yankee Candle Car Jaryankee candle car jar melted my steering column

I placed a Yankee Candle Car Jar product on the turn signal lever of my car because I do not like objects blocking my view of the windshield. I feel that it is safer on the turn signal rather than putting it on the rear view mirror as most people do. Within a few days I noticed that the finish on the steering column near the Car Jar product was melted and peeling off. I checked the Yankee Candle website for any safety hazards of the Car Jar and found nothing. The Car Jar product was not even mentioned. I contacted Yankee Candle Company by this email address:
[protected]@yankeecandle.com

This is the response I received:

Dear *****,

Thank you for writing to us today with your concerns. Please accept our sincerest apologies for the experience you had with our product. We would be happy to replace it for you if you would like.

Regarding the damages, we do recommend contacting your renter's/home owner's insurance. If you do wish to pursue this matter further, we will need documentation in the following forms:

1) written documentation of the event

2) photographs of the damage

3) return of our product

4) written estimates for repairs

Please send this information to:

Yankee Candle Company

Consumer Affairs

Attn: Melissa Seymour

PO Box 110

South Deerfield, MA 01373

Please allow 30 days from the date of receipt for a response.

Sincerely,

Yankee Candle Company

Guest Relations

[protected]
www.yankeecandle.com

So I gathered my information, photos and the estimate for damages (over$300) from my dealership and stuffed it in an envelope to be delivered to and signed by this Melissa Seymour.
I have a feeling by the other posts that my documentation is going to wind up down a black hole with the rest.

Sounds like a class action suit is in order here.

• Cr
    cris h Sep 07, 2009

I too had the same problem! I drive a Lexus RX and placed their product on my shifter knob as I find it distracting to have it swinging from the rear view mirror... I sent a letter to Yankee Candle, attention Melissa Seymour and still have not received a reply. My estimate was for $200, plus my time and gas to run the vehicle to the dealer to get it replaced. When I called to report this problem, I was told to send photos, the product, an estimate for the repair, I made duplicate copies for myself and sent it along to Ms. Seymour. I am very upset this happened but am glad to know I am not alone and our complaint warrants attention from Yankee Candle. It has been one week and I will give them one more week to respond. If I don't hear from them I will try to contact Ms Seymour by phone. I think our next course of action is to write a letter of complaint to the BBB and then follow with a suit. Their product caused the damage and I'll be darned if they think or even suggest I contact my homeowners insurance for compensation. How irresponsible to even suggest such an idea.

• Tm
    T Marie Sep 15, 2009

I'm in with the two of you! I need to contact them rgarding the gel I hung from my rear view mirror, which melted and ruined my middle console on my leased mariner. Please let me know if anything comes from your complaints. Thanks [email protected]

• Am
    amdwstrnma Apr 09, 2010

I had a gel car jar melt in my car yesterday, which is weird for 2 reasons: 1. I've had them before and never had a problem and 2. Yesterday was not nearly as hot out as the day before. From the sounds of it however I got off lucky because I only had minimal damage. Sounds like they need to take these things off the market.

• So
    SOG9999 Apr 21, 2010

Me too! Same thing!!! It has ruined my 2007 Nissan Versa shifter! I have to get estimates for repair! I could not believe it! I tried to get it off but it went into the plastic. I tried to upload photos but I am getting an error. I will try again so you guys can see!

• St
    Stacy O'Gorman Apr 21, 2010

If you here anything; please let me know as well. I am gathering my information, estimates and pictures. My email is [email protected] I wonder how many of us are out there with several hundred dollars in damages to our cars.

• Ka
    katyk27 Jun 14, 2010

Glad to see these posts! This just happened to me. I had the gel hanging from my radio knob, and it ruined the finish on the radio! Not to mention I have a brand new, less than 3 mo old car. Just sent them off an email today.

• Be
    Beth_Trego Jun 29, 2010

Same thing just happened to me!! Brand new Kia Rio bought in mid-March 2010. Had 2 car jars hanging from rearview mirror. They melted and dripped onto my gear shifter eating away the paint. Also dripped onto the plate below that and it looks like someone boiled it - all bubbled up. I just wanted to see if I was the only one with this issue before I contacted Yankee Candle. [email protected]

• Mm
    MMason0000 Jul 26, 2010

I just incurred damage to my 2010 Toyota Corolla as the gel melted the finish off my shifter plate and took the vinyl coating off my dashboard turning it from gray to white. Needless to say, I am quite upset.

I plan to pursue a class action lawsuit. Whoever is interested
    [email protected] Please contact me.

• Je
    JennPenn75 Aug 15, 2010

Ate my paint off my new Mazda's gear shifter, , , its looks so horrible, I actually cried over it. I hope they get sued OR decide to pay us for the damages from these car jars!

• Te
    TerriErb Sep 26, 2010

Yankee candle car jars ruined the dash on both of our Silverado Trucks!
    Dripped and melted the dash...looks terrible. Not even on hot days did this happen.
    These need to come off the market and Yankee needs to take this seriously.
    Please email me if anyone has had success with compensation...I plan to call them tomorrow!
    [email protected]

• La
    latahfarmwife Dec 09, 2010

Wondering if anyone has had any success with compensation - I have a brand new Tahoe and a Yankee Candle Spray (that clips to the vent) leaked and took some of the finish off my radio and the dash - not happy at all!

• Gr
    grindles Jul 09, 2014

Moxley apparently had some success obtaining compensation (see moxley's posts), but I have bad experience of Yankee. They owe me a substantial amount of money are refusing to pay and ignoring my letters.

• Ba
    BaileyL Mar 31, 2016

Same Thing happened to me! I have a 2011 Jeep Liberty and the clip on vent leaked all over my radio in less than an hours time! They sent me the exact same email for documentation, written estimate, send back the leaked product. The problem is, I had already thrown the leaked product out because I was so pissed, not thinking to keep it to send back to them.

• Mi
    Missdaisy2 Mar 18, 2017

I also have damage from a Yankee car jar! I'm curious how everyone's cases settled? I'm headed to the dealership today for an estimate...
    Thank you!