WMACTLFraudulent charges

P Review updated:

My husband, a long distance truck driver, had an emergency at a rest area in the mountains of West Virginia. There was a pay phone with NO signage on the phone. He used his Capital One card to call long distance for 30 seconds -- only long enough to give me a call back number.

We got billed $16.

This is illegal. This company has dozens of complaints filed with the BBB, the FCC, and individual credit cards. That's exactly what we did -- immediatly filed a complaint with our credit card company and the FCC. PLEASE don't just gripe on these sites -- do something about it. Griping on these sites does nothing. Every single person on here says something like, "Well, I was going to dispute it..." Well, do IT. Chances are this company will not respond to the credit company's request, and the credit card company will rule in your favor. That's how it works. If you dispute a credit card charge, your card company will give this company a chance to reply; if they do not, the charge is erased.

Every single call made on one of these pay phones is fraudulent because they do not list prices. They MUST, by law, display something like "$5 for the first minute...etc." They do not. Apparently their charges are $32 for the first minute, because we were charged $16 FOR 30 SECONDS. Do you think we would have picked up that phone had that been posted? Of course not. My husband would have continued to drive down the road until he got a cell signal.

PLEASE, everyone -- dispute these charges with your credit card company.

• Re
    Rellyme Dec 19, 2017

I just had to file against it, I didn’t kno what this was about when I looked at my transaction so I complained., 17$ for one minute and it told me to call that number just to have my phone turned back on

Nattaphon Sangjumpa Aug 09, 2018

I got 89$ !? what is my transaction !?

Nanette M. Towler Sep 03, 2018

I called 1-800-Collect to Sauk Rapids MN for 5 minutes Jan 2nd. I was charged $75.97 for a 5 minute call. I want a refund of my money to Twin City Federal Bank.

• Jl
    Jlee Clee Dec 20, 2018

I just received a charge from WMACTL on my credit card 12/20/2018 amount $17.00. I typed in search bar and found this which assisted me to rectify the charges. The more we speak up the less control these people get.
    Thanks for sights like this!

• In
    Indeera Jan 05, 2019

There was unnecessary money withdrawal from my bank account by wmactl.Why is this withdrawal made?(see the photo below)

Comments

• Ev
    Evo Spnr Feb 09, 2019

Why am I getting charge $28 for $.50 call and i used less than 30 seconds??? With this prepay phone.

Anne White Mar 17, 2020

I accepted a collect call from my daughter who was hospitalized, not allowed access to her cell phone, and this phone booth was her only way to be in contact with the outside world. We spoke for maybe ten minutes, and my credit card that I used to accept her call was charged $48, as a recurring monthly charge! I had to cancel my credit card and get a new number to avoid this fraudulent billing from WMACTL.

Nancy Manning-Lesesne Jul 14, 2020

My husband used on of their pay phones to call me collect to come pick him up. The operator said that the call was 13 cents a minute I gave my credit card information, I asked the operator was there a service charge to accept the call and she said no it’s just 13 cents per minute. I checked my account 3 hours later and found out that I was charged $25 for 3 minutes.

Comments