Washington Gasvandalism, billing, lying

F

Before Thanksgiving 2007, Washington Gas came to turn on service for the separately metered basement unit for new tenants. Instead, they wrote graffiti on the front of my house (it's still there), removed (and disposed of) the safety guard covering the pilot light on the hot water heater, turned off the gas to my house upstairs (no one was home for the holiday), switched the meters, put the tenant's billing information (phone number, etc.) on to my billing account, made changes to *my* account as to how it would be charged in response to requests from the tenant who had no authority to make those changes and was only trying to set up her own separate account.

So, my housemate went with no hot water nor heat nor gas for the stove for ten days while I was still out of town. During that time, Washington Gas was billing me for the gas used on my meter that was attached to my tenant's apartment! Needless to say, I refused to pay. So, they called "me" at my tenant's number since they have everything totally messed up. It's a cluster[censored].

They routinely ignore my regular calls and letters documenting their incompetence. They are still trying to charge me for the billing changes made by my now previous tenant. They sent the bill to a collection agency since I only pay what I actually owe each month; the agency stopped all efforts to collect when I explained the situation and begged them to sue me so I can have a judge order Washington "we hate our customers" Gas to stop this harassment.

Wash Gas claim they turned off my gas last year (but the pilot lights on the hot water heater, furnace, etc., never went out) and then charged me for illegally using it and for reinstating it. It's all lies.

In short, this is June 2009 and the graffiti is still on the front of the house, the safety guard is still missing from the basement hot water heater (they've sent me multiple letters with dates when the were sending someone to fix these problems--they have acknowledged on the phone that it is in fact their policy to lie and that they never had any intention of sending anyone to fix the problems they caused). I get monthly discontinuation notices. It's been over a year since I made a formal complaint with the Public Service Commission, but it has made no headway.

This is the short version. I've truncated the gory details.

andresmdc Aug 12, 2009

My mom is going through a very similar experience with them, and this is the SECOND time around they have given her account to someone else without any explanation or justification. Any chance you would want to team up and sue these SOBs?

• Wa
    washgascomplaint Aug 27, 2009

I too am going through a ridiculous situation with incorrect billing with washington gas that has been an ongoing dispute for 15 months (EVERY time i call, it's "yeah your case is still being investigated", despite the fact that i've faxed as well as emailed my proof on numerous occasions, and the fact that we had a threeway phone conversation with my former landlord who verified that i moved out when i said i did), and if this hits my credit report, i am prepared to file suit in court. I have all my evidence and documentation to prove that I am absolutely telling the truth. If there is enough interest in a class action suit, please let me know and we can proceed together to find the best course of action. email at craigslistemailmww on yahoo.