VRBO/Homeawayextra fee / "new" business perspective

S Mar 11, 2016 Review updated:

So we talked to VRBO's "customer service" yesterday, and just to let everyone know what their new "business perspective" is, and I quote "we do not see the renters as your (the home owners) customer, we see them as our customers providing them the service." Last time I checked, I paid the mortgage, I deal with any problems, I keep the customer satisfied and returning year after year. VRBO is a listing/advertising service PERIOD!! Apparently the home owners are not customers, even though we pay them thousands of dollars a year! Oh, buy the way, they also said that we should not be dealing with the renter directly, solely using their sytem and if we didn't should still be charging the 4-10% fee. HUH????? This company has gone Bat S*** Crazy.
Did some research...VacationHomeRentals.com (associated with Trip Advisor), utilizes the old system that VRBO used, which served everyone well, and kept the business between the renter and the owner. It is also about half of the price. I'm taking my four properties and heading out of dodge, before I have to pay for a renewal!!
VRBO got greedy and will be their downfall. I am spreading the word, to all that I know who use VRBO (which is a lot), to start heading to this other site, as well as bypassing the "book now" system and deal directly with the home owner.
ByeBye VRBO

• B
      Mar 11, 2016

This is a terrible scam, so many scams.

• J
      May 03, 2016

I am very disappointed in VRBO's administrative changes that force me to use their automatic booking system so they can charge my
    customers an extra fee and penalize me if I do not choose to use their booking process. I have been using this site since cyberrental.
    I have paid a premium price for platinum for several years and check and update my site daily. I am so unhappy with this administrative
    change and feel this company should not dip into the pockets of the renters with their new booking policies. It seems to me we are
    dealing with cooperate greed. I will consider not renewing my contract after using this site for the past 20 years. The platinum promise
    for better visibility is a service that does not work and is controlled by this company to force the owners to use their automatic booking service.
    I have found my website buried because I refuse to sign up for their booking process after paying this very high premium.
    weneedavacation works well here on Cape Cod and myself and a number of Cape Codders do not plan to be bullied by VRBO that has
    become too greedy. We have already started a coalition here to inform home owners and plan not to renew with VRBO in protest of their
    corporate greed.

• S
      Dec 11, 2016

@VRBO Why do owners get charged for cc transactions between renters and VRBO? That's VRBO;s cost of doing business, not the owners. (supported by your posting, answer from customer service.) In the new business model, VRBO is set up as the retailer selling our products vs. the former - a market service that charged owners annual fees. Along that allegory, without supply, VRBO has no business. So am confused they charge the owners vs. renters (their customers). To compensate, we raise our rates, becoming less competitive on the market . . . consequently, our rates no longer match with Airbnb's, and, our bookings are way down this year compared to last 10 - (economics 101). So, why do we need VRBO marketing services anymore?