Vonageillegal actions and no ethics

G

Upon hooking up our new Vonage phone, the Vonage company illegally disconnected service from our other business phone without our consent, (after repeatedly assuring us there would be no conflict with the other line) and after over THREE HOURS on the phone refused to even admit it was possible. (and yes... they did do it, this is not a misunderstanding).
And after all that, refused to budge on charging us the temporary $40 disconnect fee, even after we explained that we DIDN'T HAVE IT in the account and it would result in a overdraft fee from our bank. (that was account management, thanks Thoriah or whetever your name was)

Thank you, Vonage, and thanks to your condescending staff of foreigners for putting us through hell and robbing us of a full weekend's worth of business(so far).

• Ri
    Richard Thompson Jan 24, 2007

I was with vonage for 11 months and three weeks because I had one week to go for a year they said I had to pay 39.99 To stop using there phone service before I got off the phone with them in which I was stopping there service they had charged my bank account 39.99.

• Em
    emilio lombre Sep 05, 2007

Ordered vonage equipment and paid for 2-day delivery on august 30,2007. Today is the 5th of september and still no delivery or notification. I have no home telephone service. was depending on service with vonage. I am really disgusted. I think i will stop my contract with this company who shows no trust or dependability.

Beware people!

• Valerie Sep 11, 2007

Nothing delivered as promised! Pathetic install problems, poor sound quality, unreliable service, terrible and deceptive customer service, long hold times, misleading information, impossible to resolve disputes, "our supervisors don't take phone calls" policy, cancellation request issues ignored, etc, etc. STAY AWAY from this fraudulent company!

• Wi
    will dee Jan 19, 2008

In november 2007 I called vonage to say I was moving out of the country and wanted service terminated. I was offered 2 months free call forwarding to my cell phone. In January I see that I have been billed for December and January. I was told that because I accepted their free offer of call forwarding my account would not be terminated and therefore the billing would continue.

Craig Bullim Jan 19, 2008

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertizing.

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

Craig Bullim Jan 19, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too.

Craig Bullim Jan 19, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

• Si
    Sindhura Mar 19, 2008

We had a very bad experience with VONAGE. They are liars, Charge amounts without your knowledge and Lot many hidden charges are there.. The international calls are not valid. They charge for all international calls!

• Ta
    Tammy Mar 21, 2008

I fell for the cheap price and great deal. But they lied about everything and when I wanted to cancel service they charged a cancellation fee even after they told me there would be no charge. I did not believe others when they told me that the service was bad and now I know they are lairs. Please save yourself a major headache and stay away from Vonage.

Helen Cook May 05, 2008

I had Vonage for my son in Oregon. He discontinued the service in Nov. of 2007. I am still getting billed for it. He has called them 4 times and each time they say that they will stop. I saw that they have had tons of complaints about this problem!

Joseph Colella May 16, 2008

I recently subscribed with Vonage for tele.service using our DSL line. After talking with an agent and after he assured me that my present tele. number will not be changed, I agreed to the service. The next day, I received an e-mail confirmation of my order and they included a new vonage tel. number. I immediately contacted Vonage and told them of my not wanted a new number and they told me ok and that when I receive the adapter, simply return it with the pre-paid label. The e-mail did explain that my tel. number could not be used. Now why I asked, did you send the adapter when I specificlly asked that I did not want my number changed. The could not give me an anwser. A pre-paid label was never sent and they said that I must pay for the return of the adapter myself and also, there w0uld be a cancellation fee also, charged to my credit car. Is that a rip off or not? I have since contacted my credit card co. and they are investigating.. My advise, watch out closely at Vonage.

• Me
    MERRI Jun 19, 2008

This company sucks. They will not allow you to cancel the service. Their customer service reps are idiots robots. It is a total pain in the ###.

• Valerie Jul 17, 2008

I called to cancel my Vonage account and the "Customer Service Manager" kept trying to sell me on other options. I kept telling her "I just want to cancel" over and over but she kept pushing until finally she was arguing with me about why I have to keep the service, going as far as to tell me that the one phone call I made on it last month made it worth while (really?). When she finally put me on hold to cancel we got disconnected, conveniently. When I called back I had the exact same experience with the next person I spoke with. Both women were so rude and argumentative insisting that I keep my service and refusing to let me speak with a superior. Finally she put me on hold and came back saying snottily, "I canceled it for you and it's going to cost you $43.09." When I started to tell her that this was the worst customer service I'd ever received and that I wanted the fee waived she hung up on me. I would not recommend this service to anyone!

sam Jul 19, 2008

Hi,
    I have vonage service for about an year now. Reading all the complaints here made me think if these people are really talking about vonage or a different company. Its true that you can only save with vonage IF your cable service provider gives you internet service without having a phone line.
    For one year now I was never charged a penny extra for what they said they will charge, never had any major issues with their service, no hidden charges, no false charges, no dishonesty and no bad service. I once faced a problem with their service. I used to get static while i was on the phone. I call them up and complained about it. They forwarded me to a very knowledgeable technician who helped me fix the problem. Not only this, when i told their manager that there is another VOIP service that is offering me same plan for cheap he offered me a free month of service which saved me the same amount of money i would have saved with the switch which who knows could have its own nightmares.
    I honestly suggest this company to everyone who are able to get high speed internet without phone service.

save with vonage!

• Da
    darlene subia Jul 25, 2008

When i signed up for vonage they gave me 3 months free i was excited...Then when i finaly got the equipment and started using it i noticed that you could hear a tapping noise anytime someone was on the internet at the time you were talking on the phone. I thought it would eventualy go away.Then when i would be on the phone people were telling me i sound real far away or i sounded like i was talking in under water. At thi time i was getting frustrated i tred to call and complain several times and each time they couldnt hear me right on the other end. Finaly my last draw with this service was when we would be on the phone and it would drop the call it did that to me 3 times one after the other talking to a relative out of town.I called vonage 2 days before my 30 day trial was up they had me on the phone for 1 hour running test on my computer each test that he ran he said tht the numbers should be higher..Finaly he told me the problem couldnt be fixed.So i told him i need to cancell the service and go back to my orginal phone company, he apolagized and we hung up. i waited for them to either send me a ups label to send back the equipment o for them to call me back to tell me what i needed to do to get the equipment back to them.they never did either one, i called thema week and a half later come to find out they never cancelled me and now i was passed my 30 days and they wee charging me $101.17 for my disconnection fee .When i asked to speak to a manager she said that she is the manager and that i needed to pay the balance or it would go to collections. I refused to pay this amount and i didnt give them permission to take it from my checking account.So i hung up with her and called my bank and told them i needed to cancell my atm card and i needed a new one. I called my bank te following day and they told me that there was a charge coming threw from vonage for a $106.00 i told them i didnt authorize that charge, so now i have to deal with my bank on this matter.

• Ed
    edith morant Jul 31, 2008

this has to be the worst telephone company in the world.

• Pu
    purtipli Aug 04, 2008

When I took there was no mention anywhere that they have a 2 year contract. Now when I disconnected after 8 months, they suddenly charge me a disconnection fee and equioment which they said is free no they are charging for that as well. This is outright daylight roberry!!! Is there anyway I can sue them??

• Valerie Sep 15, 2008

I too have been ripped off by Vonage. I canceled my service and had to pay for 2 lines of cancellations of $39.99, and also the equipment for $79.99. I don't want it, but they won't take it back. One phone line was a $24.99 rate, the other a $14.99. But yet I pay the $39.99 for each one. Even though the service was less than perfect. Did not work most the time, not compatible with my internet service at all! When you cancel they harass you to remain a customer. The response team leaves messages for me to call them back, but can never get through. We have been playing phone tag for a week now. I do work, and cannot be home the hours they are available, not sure why they cannot handle it via email! At any rate, I am still trying to get a hold of the response person!

• Me
    Melissa Oct 02, 2008

DONT USE VONAGE EVER. they tried to charge me a disconnection fee of 110.00 when i never even received their equipment, they had the wrong apt number. and now, i had to cancel my atm card after mysterious charges started appearing (from websites that dont even exist) that i never even made.

• Re
    REV HELEN PETIPREN Nov 17, 2008

I ALSO WAS A VICTIM OF VONAGE'S FRAUD. I WAS NEVER INFORMED ABOUT A DISCONNECT FEE BUT AFTER A YEAR WHEN I CHOSE TO CANCEL I WAS CHARGED FOR THE NEXT MONTH'S SERVICE WHICH I DID NOT RECEIVE. I NOTIFIED THEM BEFORE THE THE NEXT MONTH OF THE CHANGE. THEN THEY TOOK A CANCELLATION FEE OUT OF MY CHECKING ACCOUNT TOO CAUSING ME ILNSUFFICIENT FUNDS AND OVER A HUNDRED DOLLARS IN FEES. THE VONAGE COMPANY REFUSED TO RETURN ANY OF THE MONEY. I AM A SENIOR ON DISABILITY LOW INCOME. I HAVE BEEN ROBBED AND WANT RESTITUTION. THE SERVICE WAS TERRIBLE THAT'S WHY I CHOSE TO CHANGE. THEN THEY PULLED THIS FRAUD ON ME. IS THERE ANY HELP OUT THERE?
    HELEN

• Ho
    Hotmama Nov 29, 2008

I had vonage as a home phone service, and had to have Charter in order to use vonage phone. Well then Charter came out with a phone service alsoand offered it to me at the same price and I would only have one bill. Then In called to cancel with vonage they got hateful and told me I had to pay a cancellation charge of $98.00 I at that point told them where they could stick it.

• Mi
    missfrosty1 Jan 26, 2009

I just had the same problem. Cancelled after 4 months. They are charging a $39.99 disconnect fee + $70 equipment fee. There is no mention of any of this in the contract. They gave me a $70 rebate when I bought it, but now this means they are basically taking their rebate back?! I asked them if I sent back the modem if they would refund the money and they said no, there was nothing I can do. So I stopped payment with the bank (they take the money directly out of my account) and am filing a dispute. I will pay the disconnect fee, but I don't think I should pay for the modem when I already bought it when I ordered the service. I am fuming mad and will never recommend this product to anyone.

• Sh
    Sherwoodguy68 Feb 05, 2009

I called to cancel Vonage and they have a cancellation fee! They never told us that we would be charged $109.99 cancellation fee and a fee for the Vonage device they originally told us was just $9.95! They said the charges could not be refunded. I told them I never agreed to the terms but they the person on the phone should have told me about it. They didn't.

nonnie Apr 22, 2009

I let someone put the vonage charge on my account for a ONE TIME.They put a phone on..and i told them a ONE TIME and they promised me that i wouldnt be charged again..WELL, it WAS charged again and i'm not happy about it. I cant find a phone number to call and complain.

• Te
    Tepi May 22, 2009

That's interesting because I JUST got off the phone with those thievin ### people! In Dec. of 08 we lost Internet through Time Warner and so we decided to switch to a wireless modem which...apparently isnt compattible with Vonage! A few months later we received a bill from a collection agency for Vonage for $200!! So I decided to call them today just to find out where to return their modem & what not, assuming that played a big part in the $200 bill. LONG AND PAINFULLY IRRITATING story short, when it was all said and done, I was billed for 3 months of service (before they finally disconnected me) then $70 for the modem (which they REFUSE to take back, even though it works but I still have to pay the $70 for a pice of eqiptment I CAN NEVER USE AGAIN!) and then there was a $39.95 cancellation fee! And the worst part of all of it is my husband and I LOVED their service! (or so we thought!) The funniest part of it all was every time I asked for a LOGICAL reason why a company would refuse to take back their equiptment that they could turn around and sell to someone else & make a profit! Cable companies let you return cable boxes after disconnection of service so what the Hell. And all I was asking for was LOGIC and ALL I got were "I'm sorry ma'am's" So I dont care if it means contacting the Better Business Bureu or whatever but they cannot be allowed to keep sucking money out of people! Sorry...needed to vent...as I said I JUST hung up the phone with them so I'm still FUMING! lol

jonboink May 25, 2009

I signed up for vonage i used this service for 3 months.
    I got a phone call. then i called vonage to aks them how to block the phone number. they told me they could not. So i decided to terminate them. what they did was charged me 131.18 without my permission.
    there is nothing on there web page about a termination fee

• Ga
    Gabriel Jul 22, 2009

Servcie was bad, dropped calls no phone for hours everyday... tried to get tech support and was promised an actual tech to come to my home and never even got a call back... calledto cancel and since they did not resolve my problems and it was over 30 days i was billed $114 disconnect and they took ti straight out of my bank account withouti my permission since that is how i was billed monthly... oh and the bill went up over $2 each billing for two months.

• Da
    David Raj Aug 05, 2009

Everything they say in a lie.
    Initiation fee - 24.99 ; $37 was charged to my account why?

Number Port - 1)They said they could port my existing no; Lie, they gave me a random number, One said they cannot port the number, other said they need 10 days to port the number (this expires the try period)

Cancellation - 45; Charged extra for cancellation; 14 days to return the equipment if this paid else 45 days???

Henry07 Aug 14, 2009

Due to employment issues I was forced to cancel my home phone service with Vonage prior to my year conatract. The only thing they show as a penalty on their website is a 39.99 disconnect fee before that year. They are charging me 112.00 and did not even credit my current months charges. Am filing complaints with BBB and the Attorney Generals Office. If these charges are accurate they were hidden very well in the contract

jameskirbypitman Aug 15, 2009

jameskirbypitman

I am billed this month thur American Express the name is James K Pitman for $131.14, I presume for the V-Portal Phone Adapter. I want to return it for credit.
    Please give me instructions for returning this item.

• Po
    popsickl88 Aug 31, 2009

I called to cancel before the next billing cycle, but the CS Agent convenced me to wait, So when I called back a few days after the alloted charge dispute period, not only did they screw me for the early cancellation fee, but they refused to credit me any money for the month of service they charged me even though I wasn't even using there service, they said I should have called a few days earlier? Are you kidding me, they told me to wait 10 days before canceling in the first place to make sure the porting of my old number would work, this was convienently after the fee dispute period of 4 days I think they told me. After arguing with me she finally claimed that she was going to get the manager to credit me the monthly charge only to hang up on me after she was suppost to hand me over to the manager. DO NOT USE VONAGE!!! There service is horrible, always had problems with calls, and then they treat you like crap when you try to get things taken care of. I will never use them again or suggest them to anyone.

• Ra
    Radulov Oct 11, 2009

My story starts with a simple request to vonage for phone service. On 8-28-07 we were mailed an advertisement for phone service with many options included in the $24.99 Per month rate. We were disconnected in about three days after which we made a few calls to their help line due to very poor call quality, muffled words, dropped words, extra sounds on the line as well as dropped calls. Our fax machine also would not function as it had previously. We informed them that we could not use their services after it was not resolved but would not disconnect until 9-21-07. We would then return their router and expect a refund of @$14.99 Shipping and handling due as there was a money back guarantee as well as one free month service., Which was due to expire on 9-26-07. That same day our phone was disconnected by 3pm!!!

We contacted their service department and after numerous phone conversations and countless different information scenarios, it was told to us that they were sorry for the misunderstanding and they could reactivate the router they had deactivated but that we needed a new account, another $14.99 Charge that would be refunded in 24 hours and that ou phone number of the last 14+ years could be reinstated. After getting off the phone last at 3am the next message received was that we would get service with a new number plus we were charged another$42+ for the cancellation which was never requested by us and never witnessed by the 3rd party required by any phone service changes in the past. After yet another call to the service dept. Of vonage, we were told to call back Monday to see if indeed we could negate the last charge as well as to confirm that our old number would be available for our new carrier to pick up but only if the number was active which is required. We are presently in contact with our bank so that we are not charged for any of these "free" charges.

At the time of first opening an account with vonage, we were told payments occur automatically every month and that this would be reflected on-line. We never truly received complete service undisturbed as well as we also were given a money back guarantee if we were not satisfied completely. We were not at all satisfied and never given that same directions twice as we also had to use our cell phones to call them (no phone service) and use valuable minutes in their cause. We also explained that we needed our phone service due to family member illness as well as pregnancy complications and shower that we absolutely needed our service and our phone number back..

The bottom line is that we still do not have phone service and have been promised all day that it would be reconnected and it never happened. There was no communication between any of the operators as well as any consistent information given to remedy the situation plus no warning about charges until you received an e-mail. How can a phone company stay in business when the operators either can't speak English fluently and they are located in india or the philippines (sp) and they miss words spoken!!! This issue has already taken up more than enough of my time and energy and caused enough stress for my family .

Please investigate this matter to prevent any other free speaking citizen some real grief in simply trying to establish phone service to insure the safety and security of their loved ones!!!

• Ed
    Eddy Dady Oct 11, 2009

I paid $48.00 for Vonage phone service. It did not work. No one could call in and when I could call out no one could hear me and I could not hear them. I called tech support two and three times a day for five days. They could not fix it. I canceled my service and returned the equipment. The day I canceled they put a $43.00 hold on my bank account. I paid almost $100.00 for a service that never worked even once.

Hercules Oct 12, 2009

I switched to Vonage because of the low monthly rate of $30. It was a great bargain because prior to this I was paying about $80 a month. However, the cost is not justified. Vonage service had went down hill since I had them. Bad connections while talking and phone dropped consistently. I understand that this is part of internet phone service because I am actually an IT guy but this was ridiculous! Customer service is TERRIBLE. You stay on hold for about an hour and then you get someone you can't understand and who don't really know what they are talking about. They always refer you to the online documentation. Needless to say, I canceled them and went with Comcast Phone service. However, to make matters worse, Vonage charged me for disconnect of $39.95 and they charged us for the last month service that was not even being used! Vonage charges you in advance so this really was a rip off. They told me that if we stayed with them than we would not be charged. Yeah right! I have read a bunch of reviews on Vonage and the majority are not good. I would not sign-up with Vonage. If you do...Be prepared for big issues!

I would not recommend this company until improvements are made on the customer service side of the company.

• Tw
    Twomuch Feb 25, 2010

I just paid $97.40 to end my account with Vonage . I am very dissappointed. I have to pay almost $100 on top of their monthly fees to discontinue my usage. This is outrageous, and I plan to go out of my way to tell friends and family NOT to use Vonage.

Man Mar 06, 2010

Vonage has phone deal called "vonage world plan" for $24.99+tax. It includes unlimited phone calls to 60 countries. I got this deal from vonage since I call my wife in India a lot. A couple of days ago I got an email from vonage asking me to cut down the usage of the phone otherwise they are going to change my plan to higher plan. What I don't understand is when vonage say "unlimited" what do they really mean?!?!?!?!?

• Ni
    Nicolas Mar 08, 2010

Vonage has no problem with billing me but I havent have a working phone for almost 3 months, BOX IS BAD and must call on my cell to talk to anyone. SO upset.

JohnnyC14 Mar 13, 2010

have you ever heard of taxes and fees????? And you also need a lesson on porting numbers between carriers, you do understand that vonage still needs the cooperation from the losing carrier right?? there the ones that have to relese that number to vonage do your homework

• Ba
    Bartess Apr 07, 2010

I got the service and it never work. I called so that they can fixed the problem, they never answer and they never went to my house to check what was wrong. The worst part, they charged me for the service even tough it wasnt even installed!!! I was charged over 5 months of not service. They would never answer my calls, had to wait about an hour to get hang up!!

Please if you want advice do not request a service from this company.

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices