uSell.comso far not so good

D

I saw a commercial for usell.com. They promise to give you a reasonable quote for you gently used cell phones that you no longer need or want. I submitted a quote request for the 2 blackberry 8900 phones that I had. They quoted me @ $72.00/phone. Which to me was a great deal considering otherwise they would have been collecting dust in a drawer. So, I requested they send me the "secure" shipping bag and about 4-5 days later I received that. They send you the shipping bag and shipping label. I put both phones in the envelope... Affixed the label and but it in the mail box. Now they promise to send you emails once they receive your phone and throughout the entire process. So, seeing that 3 weeks went by I figured let me shoot them an email (only way to reach them) and see what they say. Maybe they just forgot to email me right? Nope! According to the rep helping me they have not even received the package. She continues in her email that maybe since I mailed it during the holiday season (I mailed it dec. 22nd... It is now jan 11) that maybe the usps is just behind. Um, yea the post office can be slow... But not 3 weeks slow. I get my netflix in 2 days... And that was over the holiday season also. So I respond back to her "well is there a way to track the package?" she emails back "no, they do not have a way of tracking it, but that all phones are insured up to $100/each." so, I respond"ok, that's fine, but how long to I have to wait for something to happen then? Either way you need to cut me a check cause i'm not leaving this as just a loss. Yea I didn't want the phones anymore but you don't promise me one thing then then do another." I am currently waiting for her to respond to that. I will let you know what happens. But, my whole point is.. I will never do this again... I will not recommend this service to anyone. If you do decide to give them a try I wish you luck.

• Cu
    cursedgriffin Jan 20, 2011

The exact same thing happened to me. They keep saying they can't track it, but somehow it is insured? They quoted me $78 for my phone and three weeks later they still claim they haven't recieved my phone.

• Dr
    dragnsdime Jan 24, 2011

I haven sent my phone out, also a 8900, after 3 months they have told me the phone they received was not the model they thought would receive. When asked to have the phone sent back to me, 2 weeks later i received another email saying the phone was recycled and was told "your welcome".
    This company is a scam

• Ye
    yellowman1156 Jan 30, 2011

hey the package that they send is a small plastic bag the doesn't have protection (bubble wrap) so they can break during shipment and say that your phone was worthless.

uSell Feb 02, 2011

Hi everyone. I work for uSell, and I'd like to address your complaints and help you resolve them. First, the postal issue. Dee.W and cursedgriffen, we completely understand your concern. We're pulling our hair out over it, too, and we're working very hard to resolve it. To clarify the situation -- it's not a general postal service issue. It's a local issue in the area around our receiving facility (which is a different location than the one we ship the packs from). We don't know for sure that it's a "holiday" mail issue, although we do know that it started with packs that customers sent in around the last week of December and thereafter. If you still need help resolving this, please email [email protected] and reference your post on this site. Please also provide your name and phone number in your email (not on this board, please!) and we'll call you to discuss your account. Depending on the time frame since you shipped your phone, we may be able to assist you with filing a claim. Second, dragnsdime, to your comment about your phone being recycled: We're very sorry that there was any confusion about this. We do try to be very clear on our site that the model number you quote must exactly match the phone you send to us. Model numbers can vary by just a single letter or number, but that difference can really impact the amount we're able to pay for your phones. We are working hard to make it even easier to find your exact model number on our website ... but if there's ever any question, before you send in your phone just shoot an email to [email protected] and we can confirm pricing for you on your exact model number. Finally, yellowman1156, we haven't had other complaints on the issue you're suggesting ... did this actually happen to you? If so, please let us know. Generally speaking, we receive the vast majority of customer phones intact with no issues. Thanks to everyone for their comments -- we appreciate the opportunity to provide excellent customer service and discuss your concerns.

Usell Sucks! Feb 07, 2011

I sent in a box of phones and only received payment for the cheap phones. The phones they did not pay me for were the iPhones as they said they did not receive them. Pretty tough to lose those since they were in the same box. I also submitted a complaint on this board about them. I am also going to complain to the BBB about this company. Their customer service is poor and they like to lie. I hope to see this company shut down soon due to their poor business practices.

Grow The F**K Up Feb 07, 2011

Hey USell employee. I was stongly considering using your services, but am now a little hesitant. Can you please answer a few questions for me? How come there is no contact (phone number), or business address on your website? To me it seems like you are hiding something.

Registered through: GoDaddy.com, Inc. (http://www.godaddy.com)
    Domain Name: USELL.COM

UPSTREAM WORLDWIDE INC.
    200 E BROWARD BLVD. STE 1200
    FORT LAUDERDALE, Florida 33301
    +1.9548225673

Is it safe to assume that the location above is the companies address? Is it safe to assume that if we have any problems, we could contact Paul from above. Also, what is the connection between usell.com, money4gold and upstream worldwide? It makes people uncomfortable to do business with a company who will not post information such as phone number and address on their website. I will be waiting your response.

Grow The F**K Up Feb 07, 2011

Just did a little more reading of reviews for this company as well as money4gold and a few other sites that seem to be linked. Guess what, NOT ONE GOOD THING SAID. I think I will spend the rest of the afternoon and do a little research on how many companies are out there, and what there relationships to one another are. Although I have never used any of them, they all seem to be filled with the same complaints. Getting paid less than what was promised. Not returning items when the checks were sent back. Unable to reach anyone on the phone. No return calls, no return emails. In my opinion, they seem to have very poor customer service, if any. I will wait and see what employee of usell has to say before I post my findings in the event I am way off base on this. Also, there are plenty of other consumer websites out there as well, and if they are a scam, I will have no problem posting about them everywhere.

Jameys Girl Feb 08, 2011

I sent in a Blackberry Storm about a month ago. My quote was for two phones, but I decided to keep the other one. I didn't have any problems with the services. I received several emails throughout the entire process. I received an email today saying my check was sent out and I should expect it soon. When I got home today, there was the check for the amount I was quoted on the Storm.

uSell Feb 08, 2011

Hi again everyone. First, the good stuff ... Jameys Girl, thanks for the props. We appreciate it! Grow The F**K Up, thank you for posting here and giving us the opportunity to answer your concerns and questions. It sounds as if you're a very conscientious consumer, which is great! So hopefully, as you've been doing your research, in addition to finding some negative posts about uSell, you've also seen that we make it a point to reach out to every customer who's posted an issue about our company online, and to work with them to resolve their concerns. That's because we believe in creating customers for life, and we also believe in the power of the internet and social networking. Above all, we believe in complete transparency. So, while some companies might delete negative posts, we don't. We just employ people like me, and I spend my time emailing and posting with customers (or would-be customers!) like you. : ) I hope you'll give uSell a chance to earn your business -- not just now, but for a lifetime! We look forward to hearing from you.

Grow The F**K Up Feb 08, 2011

Why can't you supply us with a customer service phone number? I have never heard of a legitimate company with no phone number?

• Dr
    dragnsdime Feb 08, 2011

Usell how about sending my phone back to me or the check? I received an email Saturday saying my phone made it and the check would be sent shortly. This was the same email I received several months previously. 2 different email addresses they were sent from. Also a phone number would be nice, as its easier to talk to someone than to wait several days for an email reply. Thank you for promptly sending my phone or check after reading this. I know the company such as yours prides itsself on such wonderful customer service...

• Go
    Goat462869 Feb 08, 2011

I sent four phones in and was looking foward to about $240 they promise but these ### just sent me a $16 dollar check come on get the ### out of here I have email and even left my number but these guys still havent respond so I bout to take their punk ### to trail

joewho Feb 08, 2011

It seems to me that there is way to many negitive comments. I think some spend their time posting bad comments and trashing companies like this. I can guess for what reason. I'm sure ther are issues but there are some way to negitive stuff here.

• Na
    natelan Feb 12, 2011

Usell.com also defrauded me. I sent them a Samsung Memoir, which they quoted at 70 dollars, and then they sent me a check for 18 dollars instead.

When I emailed them, they claimed that I sent them a Samsung Behold, which is a totally different phone. I have never owned a Samsung Behold. They lied, they stole, they cheated.

They eventually stopped answering my email and refused to give me any phone numbers or addresses to escalate the issue.

Whenever a class action lawsuit opens up, I want to be a part of it.

Lawyers, my email address is [email protected] and I am willing to appear in court. Thank you.

• Na
    natelan Feb 12, 2011

Keep in mind that the CEO of usell.com ran a money for gold (by mail) scam which has scammed thousands of dollars from unsuspecting victims.

I wish I knew that before they stole 50+ dollars from me for my cell phone.

DO NOT USE USELL.COM!!!

• Ph
    PhillyRoger Feb 18, 2011

I sold my cell phone recently to SellYourCell.com. They paid me $245 for my iPhone 4 (I'm moving to Verizon!). The process was good but a bit slow but they did send me emails so I had an idea where my phone was in their process. Most importantly I got my money. They let me choose PayPal or a check and I went with PayPal to get it more quickly. I haven't used Usell.com so I can't compare the two but Googled them because I saw a commercial and thought I'd leave the comment. Good luck everyone.

• Da
    darksidejedi07 Feb 18, 2011

I agree do not use usell I also sent them a phone, I sent them a motorola I880 nextel phone and was quoted only $28 for it but it has been three months and have sent numerous emails to them asking about the phone I sent and all that I ever get back is an automatic response saying it was sent to a member of there service staff and then nothing, I also have a feeling that even if they do get back to me they will just say the phone didn't work even though I know for a fact it worked because the only reason I wasn't using it anymore was because I switched from nextel to verizon. Kind of makes me wonder if they even recycle the phones or just turn around and sell them themselves, at this point I don't really care about the money but would have at least liked to get a response from them saying why they would not pay what they quoted for the phone rather than 3 months of sending emails. ONCE AGAIN DO NOT USE THIS COMPANY YOUR BETTER OFF JUST BREAKING YOUR PHONE AT LEAST THEN YOU KNOW WHAT HAPPENED TO IT or like Brenda said donate it.

• To
    Too many scams these days Feb 21, 2011

How the hell can a iphone 3gs be worth 118$ when you can buy it new for 50$??????? F*CK THIS COMPANY!!!

Christina64 Feb 21, 2011

I went to the uSell website because I had a few phones that I thought I could turn into extra money, but I figured I should do my research because of my skepticism of the whole process. It turns out there are little to none comments saying how good of a company they are. I'm glad I didn't go ahead and send my phones in. Thank you everyone for your complaints, comments, and reviews and good luck to you.

usell sucks Feb 22, 2011

They suck! Usell quoted me $48 for a Samsung Instinct. I got a check for $6. THis will come back on them some day.

• Jp
    JPantoja Feb 23, 2011

As usual there are opportunists who come out with these scams to take away money from decent people who have sweat their entire lives to earn a good way of life. Businesses like USELL.COM disappoints me and by thinking they are outsmarting people tomorrow they will come out with the same scam with another business name. There is not enough federal regulation to control these businesses where they hide through domains, emails, phony postal addresses, and disconnected or busy telephones lines by using loopholes in the law. BBB another bureaucratic entity that won't help as much they can do. These people have the resources and dollars to continue stealing. Before buying, investing, or sending anything think twice! be suspicious! ask yourselves many questions? Why? Its not only money we can't be blind and at the end you will thank yourself in not being fooled

• Wa
    WaitingForMyMoney Feb 28, 2011

I have e-mailed the support team several times and only received the form e-mail that they received my e-mail everytime. I'm still waiting on a check for a phone I sent in towards the beginning of December. Interesting that they will not give their phone number. I sent a phone in before this one and had no problems, so I don't know that it is a scam rather poor customer support and tracking. Hopefully they get their act together. Usell, if you read my post, my order number is S411UNYE6

• On
    oneill37 Mar 04, 2011

They only quoted me $52.00 as opposed to someone else s $72.00 per phone for a Blackberry 8900. Something seems wrong there already. I won't send them my phones based on the trouble everyone here seems to have had. Hope Usell's loss of my " business" do to your complaints helps ease some of your pain.

• Kd
    kd1280 Mar 04, 2011

I had the same problem, I had send them 5 phones including a blackberries curve like new I just didnt like . They have quote me the total of 96.00 and all I got was just 16.00 the letter states that phones didnt work or I have give them the wrong information, well all my phone are in working condition and like brand new . I have complain to them and they never reponded . DO NOT SELL YOUR PHONE TO THEM !!! THEY ARE A BIG SCAM!

• Kd
    kd1280 Mar 04, 2011

To every that got scam like I did go to BETTER BUSINESS BUREAU (BBB) AND FILE A COMPLAIN if enough people complain they will investigate and shut down the company!

• Ft
    FTB Mar 06, 2011

Usell is a big scam, cheating, lying ###! I will make sure Usell goes down. I've got some great connections, and planning a little visit to this company.

• Is
    isabelmila Mar 07, 2011

it is important to note that- out of millions of people that probably use the usell.com site- a handful had a bad experience- this is not unlikely- the more people you service- the more likely you wont please them all. noone and nothing is perfect- the people that had the bad experience are the ones that are going to go to this site (complaintsboard.com) and complain. when was the last time you had a great experience with anything, and said hey- i would love to go on those complaint sites and let them know how great my experience was- probably never. so cut the company a break- do some more research, obviously there isnt millions of complaints on here- just two pages of issues- and for the record most of them are the same people reposting replys to each other.

• Ra
    Randi02 Mar 09, 2011

Everyone should request the mailingenvelopes and return them full of sand, then they have to paythe postage for the weight and they recieve nothing...

• Mo
    motherofratdog Mar 11, 2011

I was quoted $120 for two Blackberries and a Motorola RZR. What I got in the mail was a check for $8. I'm pissed. I could have donated them to a worthy cause but foolishly believed the hype that Usell was selling. DON'T trust them. They are affiliated with a gold buying scheme as well. I'm shocked they haven't been sued yet for all of their false claims. By the way, I emailed the "support" team and got no response.

• Co
    cornell robinson Mar 11, 2011

yall sent me 2dollars for my phones if yall cant send me more than that then send me back my phones and i havnt cash that check either

• Mr
    Mrchuckmoore Mar 12, 2011

I must be the most recent sucker for u sell I went online and requested a bag for my nokia e71x they quoted me 68 dollars. I work for a cell phone company and the phone worked just fine when I sent it. I got a check for 37 dollars and they claim that I sent a different phone. We need to get together and hire an attorney. I want my other 31 dollars and I thought this was a good thing. Just FYI most local American legions and crisis center recycle phones. Phones for soliders and phone for the abused

• Ed
    Eddieair Mar 17, 2011

I had the same issues of usell.com giving me same run-arounds of mail service having difficulties. I sent in three well- working iPhone4s, but still being told they have not been received yet. Now they don't even respond to my emails any more. I am plaaning to file a lawsuit through lawyer friend of mine.

• Ed
    Eddieair Mar 17, 2011

I also have another friend who happens to work at ABC, and she heard of my complaints, so we should see something on TV soon about them. She currently is researching what kinda complaints out there and how many of them out there, and everything else about the company. Wait till they get on national TV to answer to all of us, victims.

• Je
    JessicaCo Mar 17, 2011

I sent uSell my BlackBerry storm, quoted at $60 plus $10 as a bonus for my phone being quoted over $50. I sent my phone, and recieved a check for $11. I am taking this claim to court because I refuse to be disrespected and cut my losses. This is a legit SCAM. uSell, since you seem to have the time to respond to refutes on thses type of pages, do me a favor and e-mail me back before I take a ride down to your "Corportate Office" This company will, indeed, be shut down soon.

• I STORGLY agree that any usell or any cash4gold is completly fake. I sent in an exspensive silver diamond ring, and a diamond earring December 28th, 2010. I have yet to hear anything. I've called several times, tracked my pack (using tracking number), and yet NOTHING. It makes me irate for a 21 yr old life me wanting to make a litte cash. I will never again use a company off of t.v. Good luck to everyone.

• Ty
    tyrne2u Mar 20, 2011

I'm ready to take this to trail. I also turned in a blackberry and currently on my third week waiting. This is observe I will not stand for this and something will be done about it, so either send it back or give me my money. Feel free to reach me at [email protected] thank you.

• Si
    Silver Bullet 3G RW Mar 22, 2011

This company is a total ripoff. Finally after 2 months after sending my iphone 3GS 32GB (2 years old), was told it was inoperable and worthless. I can guarantee the phone I sent was 100% operable as I was using it with absolutely no issues until I got a new iphone4 recently. I just filed an official complaint with the Better Business Bureau regarding this. I am quite sure this company claims to pay you for the phone, then they tell you the phone is worthless or reduce the quoted price, so they can turn around and somehow re-sell them to customers, probably on ebay or some other means. I know I wont get my money as promised nor my phone back but anyone reading this contemplating using this site, PLEASE DO NOT. You are much better off selling the phone yourself on ebay even if its only $20 or so. At least that way you will guarantee you get your money. I am so pissed right now, you dont know!

• Ri
    Ringobjingo Mar 27, 2011

wow, I saw their commercial today and thought it sounded good. But I naturally don't just believe everything I see on TV! so thought I would do a little research and I am glad I did! I do think there is nothing better than word of mouth, and thats why I trust peoples' reviews for everything I look into buying or services I might use.
    Sounds like this is one I should steer clear from! Thanks for all your reviews and honesty. I believe you could probably get them to actually keep their word by taking photographic evidence of your phone, model, make etc. Package it in soft packing so it will not be 'broken in the mail', and go to the trouble of mailing with proof of delivery, overnight shipping or something similar - so there is a paper trail of its journey that you can keep tabs on!
    Good luck if you choose to use uSell. I think I may inquire more or choose another option!

• Lu
    Luke3rd Mar 28, 2011

Thank you all for letting me know what crooks they are. I was about to send for a bag I would have been the next victim. God bless you all.

USELL IS A SCAM Mar 28, 2011

Here is the link to post a complaint to the BBB. As you can see they rate as an F.