US AirwaysVoucher Fraud

Whatever you do, do not fall victim to the US Airways voucher scam. Do NOT give up your seat for vouchers, and don't expect to use them to reduce a ticket price - it doesn't work that way. The first problem is that ticket prices for voucher users are higher than the same flight booked online (you have to call to book if you're using a voucher!) And if you are using a "anywhere we fly" voucher, you can be sure there will be no seats left on the flight you want for a voucher customer.

What other company can charge you hundreds of dollars, PLUS fees, and then maybe deliver what you paid for, maybe not, and be completely unaccountable for that? Airlines can't be accountable for weather, but US Airways is not accountable for ANYTHING!

Just don't buy from them - you're gambling with your money.

• Va
    va_girl Jun 03, 2016

If you wanted a cookie...you should have flown Midwest Express.

• Us
    UsairwaysHater Jun 03, 2016

I have been loyal to Usairways for over 23 years and have overlooked much in that time. However, this is the absolute last straw.

Planning a family vacation I wanted to book reward flights. Knowing how fast these seats go, I diligently went in daily to see if my "flight" days were available. When I felt they would open in the next few days I called Dmiles to find out what time their systems refreshed so I could be first to book the reward seats. THe philippean call center could not comprehend my request, so I requested to be transferred to the states. The rep informed me to dial the number I just called, press 3 and ask to be transferred. I informed her, that's how I got her why couldn't she transfer me? her response? Call the number again, press three and maybe you'll get an American. Long story short after 5 people (and SEVERAL poor experiences), I got someone in the US a "supervisor". Who could have cared less about my question or concern.
    My reward flights become available and I get up that day at 6am to book.
    Three things happened: 1) The site wouldn't take my wife's name and had to book it under her maiden name (which causes an ID issue as her license doesn't have her maiden name) 2) It told me my account didn't have enough miles and I had to transfer them (at the cost of 50.00) even though there were sufficient miles there. 3) We have a dividend miles credit card and if we use it to pay the processing fee, we get a 5, 000 point deduction on the cost of the reward. It didn't make the deduction on one reward flight.

Upset sabout my poor experience, the issues with the website and that 23 years of loyalty meant nothing, I found a number for corporate to let them know of the poor service I received. I requested an executive and she told me she would transfer me to Customer Relations. I asked if that was a call center or an executive group: reply "yes". I get transferred to a voice mail. Furious that someone didn't pick up the phone, I get back to the operator and inform her she may have misunderstood, I asked for an executive, not a call center voice mail. She slammed me on hold, comes back and says "do you want transferred to that mailbox"? Resigned I say yes. I leave a scathing message that I expect a return call. In the interim, I find a direct number for the COE and call it, the number is not the COE any longer but Jason empathizes and tries to help. Unfortunately he has to route me to another number which puts me back into call center land. I hang up and prefer to take my changes with C. Relations.

Jennifer from C. Relations calls me back and asks how she can assist. I proceed with telling her in detail about my loyalty, the number of transfers the poor service, etc. Mid sentence she says "I know you have a lot of detail and I appreciate it, but what do you want?". I outline the following:
    1) A new ticket with a corrected name
    2) Refund of my 5, 000 miles that were taken and shouldn't have been.
    3) Refund of the 50.00 that i had to pay to transfer and shouldn't have.
    4) Compensation for my pain and suffering since no one seemed to care that I was loyal.
    She indicated she'd call me back. Several days later she calls:
    1) Reservations has corrected my wifes name. Fantastic!
    2) 5, 000 miles were reapplied to my account. Fantastic!
    3) Unfortunately, the 50.00 cannot be refunded since it was a 3rd party website, but we'll issue a 50.00 voucher for future travel. Ok, no problem!
    4) Under our policy the issues you have experience are not compensatable as they were not USAIRWAYS fault. however, I'm willing to giv eyou upto 100.00 off a future flight.

UM, if they weren't your fault that your system asked but wouldn't accept he correct name, took too many miles from my account AND told me I didn't have enough, when I did. Whose fault is it mine?

Her response: No, I'm not saying that at all. You wouldn't have known that your wife's name in our system was incorrect. I respond and say, this was Usairways fault. After her trying to interrupt me several times. I finally ask for a supervisor. I had to ask 3 times for a supervisor to be told: they will tell you the same thing I told you. This is not a compensatable situation, we did nothing wrong! I'm told either SHE or a supervisor will call me back within 5-10 days but I'll get the same response. Then proceeds to say. You have been nothing but condescending since you picked up the phone. Maybe had you been a little nicer, we would have helped you faster. Stunned my response, was if any of my employees every spoke to a customer in the manner that you have, they would be fired on the spot. UM if you're corporate customer relations, shouldn't you be trained to address irrate customers? Geesh.

During the 5-10 day period, I calm myself a tad: 1) After vowing never to fly them again (after my reward flight) 2) Vowing that all 10 of us flying would wear t-shirts on that flight saying "I hate usairways" and 3) Taking an add out of the Phoenix paper where doug parker lives saying "DO not fly Usairways". I realize i've not gotten emails regarding the 50.00 voucher and the updated ticket. So I call D. miles back. yeah, you guessed in the philippines cannot comprehend my question. She tells me I should have gotten those at the airport. I tell her I haven't flown yet. DEAD SILENCE.Long story short, I get no where. So I wait 10 days, NO Supervisor call.
    I politely leave a follow up voicemail that I was waiting on a sup call, but that I couldn't remember if it had been 10 days or not.

Score: I didn't get a sup, but got Elaine. She was fantastic. Listened to my situation, let me rant. Empathized, Sympathized. Everything that the Jennifer did NOT do. She even went above and beyond to outline what, when, why! At the end of the call, I told her she literally saved the company my business with how she approached the call. I told her all I wanted was someone to care.

I check email and get the updated ticket and a 100.00 voucher (which she threw in for my troubles) in my email. The 50.00 reimbursement wasn't there. I call and leave a voicemail again just stating there may have been some confusion.

Kendrix calls me back. Long story short, he tells me there's no record of the 50.00 I tell him there may have been confusion. He asks me to hold. Comes back and says: According to our guidelines we have made the situation whole and compensated you. Long story short, his attitude and response was: I should be grateful for what I got. Then tried to tell me that they "gave" me 5, 000 miles. UM YOU TOOK THEM and shouldn't have. They gave me 50.00, UM your website said I didn't have enough miles, when I did and had to transfer. He responds with, you should have called D. Miles tech support. My response, was I tried, they couldn't comprehend English which started all this trouble. Finally, I was so angry again. (It wasn't about the $$, I just wanted to know if I had confused the situation but his attitude and stance that "usairways did nothing wrong" sent me over the edge. So I respond with, I just want you guys to give a Sh**t about the company and customer. I did for 23 years and didn't get paid for it. I then ask for a supervisor only to be told, they handle internal issues only. We're empowered to resolve all customer issues. SO Jennifer lied to me, which explains why I never got a call. She jsut figured I'd let it go. I finally went too far and told him that the next time USairways went into bancruptcy I hoped they failed and that they would NEVER get another dollar either professionally or personally from me again. His response: why would you want a company you fly to fail. My response, was I've lost nothing if the company fails, their reward tickets. I'll GLADY pay a competitor full fare if that happens. I'll happliy address the lack of customer service with Doug Parker. His response was, it'll customer filter down to us anyway. This reward flight will be my last on any UsAirways plane. Which is sad, because I was so loyal for so very long. I wish I had the technical savvy to A) post something on you tube to get their attention and B) the skill to create a "donotflyUsairways" website for all of that have had enough. Usairways your founding airlines (Allegheny, PSA, and piedmont) would be ashamed at what you've turned into. Hope the tens of thousands of professional and personal dollars I've pumped into your company aren't missed too sorely over the next 30 years.

• Ro
    Rosemary Ejabat Jun 29, 2012

I too had problems with USAIRWAY. Flight from Los Angeles to Phoenix, had my small dog in a carrier airline specifications. I paid $250 round trip for my pet. Because I didn't put my dog all the way under the seat the attendant change my aisle seat to a middle seat thinking the dimensions under the seat was different. She humiliated me and began shoving my dog violently go get the carrier completely under the seat. When i filed a complaint and also emailed CEO all I got was "sorry" we don't compensate for attendants behavior!!!. I'm humiliated and my dog assaulted!...I have flown USairways for 40 years, I will use my frequent flyer mileage and be done with them. Will be travelling SOUTHWEST

• Bo
    boboriley May 02, 2012

There is a reason US Air consistently ranks in the bottom third of all carriers. Funny thing is that if they merge with American, there wont be any one to compete with them for the cellar of customer service experience. It is a shame that a company which bears the country name and a representation of our flag is such a poor representative of our nation. At least they brought back call center from India. "Ayyylooow...dees eees Ooo Essss Ear."

• Ia
    iamherenow Dec 25, 2011

Dear Dabid, I advise you contact US Airways on their website. You will receive a prompt attention on there if you do

• Da
    Dabid G. Dec 20, 2011

Good Evening,

I am writing you tonight after speaking with two of your customer service representatives who were unsuccessful in their attempts to resolve this matter. The second person I spoke with suggested I email you at this address as you have access to additional information and may be able to assist me future. On Nov 24 I booked a flight from FLL to ALB and ALB to LGA. The prices was approximately $313. Within the 24 hour window where changes can be made, I called up to change to a different connecting airport so that I could depart later and arrive at approximately the same time into Albany. I was informed there was a price difference of $1.50 and I gave them the go ahead. I called back to clarify that the changes were made as desired and I was assured that it would not be a problem. This was confirmed by my online access which revealed the new reservation. On 11/27 I accessed my online reservation and was informed that the ticket had been canceled. I spoke with a customer service agent over the phone, who stated she was not sure what the ticket was no longer active but assured me that a refund was ordered and in process. I then returned to your website to rebook the flight. The total was now $330 for the identical booking, but I went ahead and placed the order as I needed to travel this route for business. I called after placing the order to confirm the right flights were booked and that they would not be cancelled this time, additionally I was told that there was no reason for the cancellation but all they saw was that the refund was ordered. Tonight I am preparing for my flight tomorrow morning, when I checked my credit card statement. Now 12 days since the original ticket was mysteriously canceled; however, I have yet to receive a refund. The representatives I spoke with this evening were very kind, but unfortunately unable to get to the bottom of this issue. I now have 3 charges on my Discover card and only one active booking. Not only have I not been refunded for the original flight and the upcharge when I made the attempt to change the original reservation, I have been charged the higher price for the same flight. I am a frequent business traveler, flying twice a week on a variety of airlines. This is the first time I am flying with US Airways, but I can also say this is the first time I have ever had an experience like this.

I would really appreciate your immediate attention to this matter. I expect the refunds and price adjustments be made in a timely manner. I am very much looking forward to hearing from you by email or phone. Thank you.

• Be
    bekem Oct 18, 2011

I am sorry but your complaint is very inaccurate. I had 2 vouchers issued for voluntarily given up my seat and when I called to use it, I paid $0. If your voucher is less than the actual fare then you are going to have to pay more, that is just common sense.

• Sk
    skyx Aug 26, 2011

Maybe you should of changed to the other ear?

• In
    Incredible wait on hold Aug 26, 2011

Last night I ended up with a soar left ear and neck. Here's the message I sent US Airways:

Last night I called at 8:30 to see if a reservation change was feasible. I WAS ON HOLD FOR TWO HOURS AND TWENTY MINUTES!! This is totally irrespective of a customer, actual or prospective. Your system should either say (1) you will be on hold for about ___ minutes (hours?), (2) we have too much backup to put you on hold, so please try again later, or (3) leave your number and we will return your call. When I called Orbitz, their system told me I would be on hold about 30 minutes, so I hung up and called again later.

• Ca
    CapitalHillCommuter Jul 04, 2011

Before you made the complaint, did you talk to your friend who gave you the pass?

• Jb
    jbfirebird Jul 02, 2011

with the buddy passes, im sure there are stipulations to them. one of them being, not able to be used during peak flight times such as holidays.

• Br
    Brian P Dacey Jul 02, 2011

I realize I was flying stand by heading into a busy weekend. My Grandfather was very Ill and I was told to come out immediately. A friend working for the airline gave me a buddy pass with "no guarantee"
    This I was able to accept. What was absolutely devastating to me was being put on the plane, putting on my seat beat, watching them get ready to close the door, and then being told to come to the front of the plane, and removed. Why? "one of the other standby passengers was not declared" I can't describe the feeling of telling everyone in Boston I'm on the plane, and 15 minutes later telling them I'm not. So now I am going to pay full fare and fly to Boston. Can you guess which airline it won't be? I hesitate to give exact flight info, because the the woman in baggage claim told me she could get my friend in trouble for giving out a buddy pass during 4th of July weekend...Nice

• Su
    Suzanne Phillips Jun 28, 2011

I flew on US Airways from Newark N J to Greensboro NC yesterday. A hair iron that I put in an exterior pocket of my bag took a walk between point A to point B. My small bag was checked at the Gate because the plane at that point was full. I boarded the plane about 4 minutes before they locked the door and a male US Air employee took my bag so I doubt that it was taken at Newark.

There was a two hour layover in Charlotte, plenty of time for someone to take it.
    Whoever took it unzipped the pocket, stole the hair iron and so kindly zipped it back again. There was a woman driving the luggage truck and the thick mess of frizz on her head could definitely benefit from a hair iron. In all likely hood, the US Air employee who stole the hair iron probably makes a nice income.

The ceramic hair iron was only worth about $40 but it’s $40 that I don’t have at the moment and it’s the inconvenience of shopping for another one and filing a stupid claim with US Airways.

When I called US Air, it took 4 different people giving me incorrect phone numbers to locate someone who knew anything.

• Mi
    MikeFox Jun 17, 2011

US Airways cancelled my flight to Dallas at the last minute then said they could not rebook me on any other flight or airline that would get me into Dallas before 9 pm. I was going to Dallas for my family reunion. The airline was a joke, their customer service was obviously some ###ing call center out of Pakistan and there was a general lack of concern about my flight being cancelled or the subsequent consequences of me being ###ed out of going to my family reunion. Do yourself a favor and avoid booking travel or actually travelling on this garbage airline. They also charge a fee for ANY bag, who travels without any bags? Lousy piece of ### airline

• Go
    GodBlessAmerica! Jun 12, 2011

Next time check your bags. It is people like you who delay prompt departures and make the travel experience tough on all of us. Also, the "race" card? Come on, learn how to behave, do so, then see how you are treated. Thanks.

• Mc
    MCortese11 May 26, 2011

I have had the same experience, two years, several phone calls, no action, no companion tickets. They took my payment without issue. Guess we need to contact the OCC and an attorney for a class action law suit.

• Kp
    KPappa May 20, 2011

I was booked on a 9:30am US Airways flight out of Reagan National to Boston. At 5:30am the morning of my flight, I received a call with a recorded message saying my flight was canceled. A number was provided to call and change my reservation. I dialed that number and got another recorded message saying to call a different toll free number. I called that number and was asked for my credit card number to start my live sex chat. I listened to the first message again to make sure I had the first phone number correct, then I listened to second message again to make sure I had the second number correct. The same thing happened. I then called the customer service number provided at US Air's website. When I told the person what happened, instead of apologizing he started laughing (and never apologized actually). I have since laughed A LOT about what happened but at 5:30 in the morning I expected professionalism. My flight was canceled due to lack of flight crew (US Air's stock and trade answer) and I was rebooked on a late afternoon flight. Reagan National has hourly shuttle flights to Boston but this was the only flight left with seats available because some of the other flights had also been canceled . I suddenly remembered why I stopped flying USELESS Airways three years ago. Every single time I flew my flight was either delayed or canceled. I also realized why the ticket price was so low---when you cancel flights all the time you can't charge a fortune. This also explains their Chapter 11 status to me. This time I'm done for good.

• Co
    coyote24 Apr 09, 2011

On April 4, USAir sent an email stating 1000 bonus miles were deposited (apparently for subscribing to the News & Offers email). On April 8, they sent an email saying this email was in error, and no miles were being given. The original large heading on the email was "Miles make you smile...And they get you where you want to be." The text started with "We know you love award travel...and we love seeing you happy!" Apparently NOT. If they liked seeing me happy, they would have at least given SOME of the 1000 miles because of their error. I guess they LIE. They could care less about my happiness, and what's 1000 miles to them? Only 1/25 of the cheapest (off-peak) free round trip ticket. BIG DEAL.

• Fr
    Freepour Guy Apr 02, 2011

CARRY-ON BAGGAGE POLICIES DONT WORK - THE SYSTEM IS BROKEN, BADLY.

I have been 5 US Air flights in 6 days. I am carrying a small carry-on luggage and a knapsack with a laptop. On every flight there were people that had 2 giant carry-ons, clearly bigger than the standard that is not enforced. These people are avoiding the baggage fees.
    On every flight, half-way through zone 3, they announced that all carry-on rollaways would be have to be checked at the gate of the airplane because the overhead bins were already full. About one hundred people got shut out. Many people were jumping the queu by boarding in zone 2 with a zone 3 ticket, but again they do not enforce this since they are already late boarding the plane.
    Even before they start boarding everyone, savvy travellers know that they should stand by the jetway entrance to get ready to bud in front of an old lady or small children, just so they can get there luggage in a bin. Its truly dog eat dog.
    Once on the plane, its also a battle. The people at the back of the plane just throw their luggage in the first available bin at the front in case there are none left when they get back there. Then the front passengers have to go all the way to the back to put theirs up, and there are people going in every direction, again slowing down boarding. Its the same when you land - people going against the flow to get back to their bags.
    The other mind-boggling thing they do is NOT board the plane from back to front, as I believe Delta does. I was Zone 5 in the 15th row - this makes no sense. Only if you pay extra when checking in online do you get an earlier zone.
    What always bothered me is that if two people have the exact same two bags, and one checks a bag for $25 and the other carrys on, the flight attendants try to make the person that spent $25 put their smaller laptop bag under their feet for three hours, while the person that paid nothing has clear comforable space under their feet. What other industry penalizes a customer that has paid a premium??? On top of that, the customer that paid the premium for the exact same service has to wait 30-45 minutes to retrieve their checked bag, while the free-loader is home with his family before the checked bags are on the carousel. Again, what other industry penalizes customers paying a premium??
    I have several solutions that would work.
    1. Charge for Carry-on and make the first bag free. There would be a dis-incentive to bring so much on board, and boarding would be faster, more orderly, and less stressful.
    2. If you check a bag for $25, you get a sticker on your 2nd carry-on and you are GUARANTEED space in the overhead.
    3. Add $25 to every fare and make the first bag free.
    4. Enforce the size limitations on carry-ons. In fact, there should be a limit of only one carry-on that is at the maximum size.
    Of course they will never do any of these, first because management is notoriously bad in this industry and that is why they are always close to bankrupcy. But they will not do it because they will lose the business traveller who needs to get on and off quickly, and almost always has one small luggage and one briefcase/laptop, and both are carry-on. If one airline imposes any of my suggestions, they will lose these travellers to another airline.
    I believe this issue is hurting the economy in many ways... an avoidance of business travel because its not worth the hassle, cost, stress, poor service, late arrivals, missed connections, and endless waits for checked luggage to arrive. It is also costing millions a day in productivity through lost time travelling.

• Li
    linbin1 Mar 13, 2011

Yes, I'm sure they were all obese, every last one...Get over yourself. Maybe next time they'll sit on you and we won't have to hear your complaints.

• La
    Laurcelletni. Mar 13, 2011

I got on a plane that was filled with fat people. I mean everyone, minus the pilots and flight attendants, were obese. I am a slender person. As I approached my seat I had to crunch my way past these oversized behemoths. I should have brought a stick of butter to help me get past them. So I get to my seat and there are two fat cows taking up three seats. I'm screwed. I had to sit in between them as they laughed and oinked. As the plane tried to take off it couldn't. We had to unload some luggage and taxi three more times. Geeze America: go on a diet

• El
    Elizabeth202 Feb 28, 2011

On December 31, 2017, I purchased from US Airways an upgrade to silver status for 2017. I had silver status for 2017, but it would expire in March 2017. US Airways was offering customers an opportunity to buy up to preferred status. Customers who hadn't flown the miles/segments could pay the difference in order to receive preferred status. The cost for the number of miles/segments I needed was $579.00. At the time it seemed to be a good investment - prepaying baggage, upgrades, etc. However, when my 2017 status expired in March 2017, US Airways downgraded my status despite the fact that I had purchased the upgrade for 2017. I have contacted US Airways numerous times and only one agent has acknowledged that I paid for something I didn't receive. He could see the transaction in my dividend miles file and said the problem may be that I purchased the upgrade on the 31st of the month and the offer expired the following day. All other agents claim not to see the transaction or do not acknowledge that I purchased anything. They have told me that, unless I can provide a ticket number, they can't help me. Of course, I can't provide a ticket number because I didn't puchase a ticket; I purchased a status upgrade. They insist that my credit card company must provide me with a 12-13 digit code beginning with the numbers "037." I purchased the upgrade on USAirways.com with my US Airways Mastercard issued by Barclay Bank. Barclay confirms the purchase and payment, but states that they don't use a 12-13 digit code. They provided me with a six digit authorization code which US Airways can't/won't accept. Barclay Bank/US Airways Mastercard will not help me with the problem. I became so frustrated with the situation and the inability to resolve it that I dropped it and just decided not to fly US Airways or use my US Airways Mastercard. However, I noticed today that US Airways is offering the same deal/scam to customers wishing to purchase an upgrade to a preferred status: http://www.usairways.com/en-US/divid...preferred.html. I want to warn others not to fall prey as I did. I pretty much got mugged by US Airways. Don't let it happen to you.

• Pa
    Pauledwards Feb 28, 2011

How can an airline like US Airways treat people with no compassion and still get passengers in this day and age of competition? we recently booked 3 return tickets to Florida from Manchester In the united Kingdom as we where having a family get together with people from New Zealand, Unfortunately we got a phone call that the son off the family in New Zealand who was 12 years old had been rushed into hospital and sadly died, we immediately flew from the UK to NZ to be with them (it was my wife’s sisters son) he had had a brain bleed and died almost instantly.

On returning to the UK I contacted US Airways to say we would have to cancel our flights as there would be no family get together under the circumstances, there response was basically sorry for the loss but you have non refundable tickets so you loose £1800 and thank you for using US Airways.

I sent several emails asking them to use some compassion but the last email said it all here it is in full.

Dear Mr. Edwards:

Even though we understand your frustration, when you purchased your ticket, you agreed to the terms and conditions of a non-refundable ticket. We are not able to go beyond those perimeters of a non-refundable ticket, and therefore will close the file.

Sincerely,
    Judy Ellefson.
    US Airways Customer Relations
    Corporate Office

Now even though you should read the terms and conditions most don’t as I didn’t but surely some compassion must come into play?

I will never use US Airways again and as the family concerned have had a full refund from New Zealand Airways feel US Airways are just exploiting the situation.

Yours Faithfully

• Mr
    mrs.doublea Feb 28, 2011

My husband, 9 month old, and I were flying to see my in-laws in State College, PA. We have to stop in Philadelphia on the way to and from using US Air. Philadelphia always has you coming or leaving late or both, but normally your next flight is also delayed. On our trip home, we landed in Philly 10 minutes after our flight to Jax boarded and it wasn't delayed. We found the only other flight out for the night was with Southwest and they don't accept US Air tickets. We went to US Air "customer service" and were told that the only thing they would do is get us out of Philly between 6:30 and 6:45 the next morning. When we asked what we were suppose to do about our baby only having enough food for the night, we were ignored. They didn't offer us a hotel or anything, so we had to pay $511 and change for Southwest tickets to get home the same evening and have enough food for our baby. We were told that since it was Air Traffic Control's fault, they aren't responsible for hotel vouchers or anything else, so I would have had to pay for a cab to get my child formula and a cab back to sleep in an airport...seriously, I haven't ever been treated so badly and with a baby!!! I wouldn't have cared as much had it just been my husband and I, but how was my child suppose to go without food for that long and we wouldn't have gotten home until 11:30 the next morning! Thanks US Air for confirming our hate for you and the fact that we'll drive before we fly with you again! They also refused to deliver our luggage and so we had to go back the next day and pick up our carseat and luggage.

• Pe
    Perry Feb 28, 2011

I was trying to get home last Friday, and it was one of the worst flying experiences I’ve had. Sadly, almost none of it needed to be so lousy were it not for a mix of random unfortunate circumstances and truly awful US Airways employees. I had flown up to Buffalo earlier in the week for some meetings and I since Delta (with whom I usually fly) didn’t have any seats available at convenient times for my return trip, I thought I’d give US Airways a try.

That was a HUGE mistake and one I won’t make again.

Friday evening I was on a small Embraer 170 jet that departed from Buffalo for Washington DC. I had about an hour in DC to catch my connecting flight to Tampa and I’d get home about midnight, which was important because on Saturday morning at 7:00 my son’s football team, which I coach, had their team photos for the year followed by a game. With as many hours as I put in coaching those boys, I really wanted to be in the team photo.

About five minutes after take-off from Buffalo the pilots reduced thrust and started descending. As a private pilot myself, I knew something was up but they didn’t announce anything for a few more minutes. When they finally said we had a problem and were returning to Buffalo to land, I figured then I’d probably not make my original connection in DC. We made an emergency landing and stopped hard on the runway itself, rather than taxiing back to a gate. The plane was surrounded by large fire engines, six by my count, and assorted smaller fire and police vehicles. Several firemen began to inspect the plane and we sat there for a good 15-20 minutes while they did so. Finally, they cleared the plane to return the gate.

The pilots announced that one of the fire detection sensors in the cargo hold was showing an error of some kind and that was the reason for the emergency landing. They didn’t believe that there was an actual fire, but with the sensor not working, there was no way to know for sure, and we couldn’t continue to DC like that. A ground agent came on and started announcing cities to which passengers were not going to make their connections. Tampa was about the third or fourth one listed. Those passengers were told to take their belongs and get off of the plane.
    The gate agent announced that nobody should worry, he would not let anyone go anywhere where they would not be able to make their connection and that he was personally “watching out for us”. We never saw him again.

They had us exit the airside of the airport and go back to the ticket desk. This is where the real fun began. The Embraer was a fairly small plane and only some of the passengers were pulled off for rebooking, maybe 20 or so. You’d think it would have been a quick and painless process to find us some other flights for the evening. Apparently not for the horrible, bitter, and generally useless ticket agents. These people were visibly angry with the passengers! I guess requiring rebooking because of their mechanical problems was somehow our fault and a major
    disruption for them.

There were four agents to start with, but quickly there were only only three. One of them almost immediately grabbed his cell phone from the counter and walked quickly out the front doors of the airport and was gone. Still, three agents for 20 passengers ought to have been enough, one would have thought.

In the small group, a surprising number of us were trying to get to Tampa that night. None of us did. I stood in the short line for at least 30 minutes, perhaps longer, before getting “helped” (and I use that term very loosely) by a surly agent. It’s hard to describe just how horrible this particular agent one, but let me give you an example.

While we were in line, there were a few other passengers looking to check in to other flights. So those of us waiting for agents let them go ahead of us and use the automated kiosks to check in to their flights. While I was
    first in line, I let a young girl go ahead of me and she apparently had a problem with the kiosk and needed help from an agent. All of the agents proceeded to ignore her completely as she tried to speak to them. Most wouldn’t even make eye contact with her and none would deign to speak to her. This lasted for at 10-15 minutes. Finally the agent in front of me was free and this girl tried to get the agent to help her. Since I had already let her go ahead of me, I didn’t complain. But the agent refused to help the girl at all. She said that the “30 minutes before departure time” rule for her flight had passed and it was to late to check in. Never mind that the girl had been there well before that time, but had been ignored by the agents to that point. As the poor girl burst into
    tears at not being allowed on her flight, the uncaring agent simply dismissed her and called me up to the counter. I have no idea what became of the girl.

When I got to the counter and asked her (politely) to please find me a way to get to Tampa by 7:00 a.m. the next morning, she just shook her head. I tried to explain why, but she didn’t want to hear it. I’m sure she’s heard plenty of sob stories from plenty of passengers trying to get somewhere and it was clear she didn’t give a damn.

The agent next to her didn’t either. As she finished with one passenger, instead of helping the next one who had stepped up to the counter, she barked, “I didn’t call you up to the counter!” and told my agent she was leaving. I couldn’t believe my ears and I spoke up.

Me: You’re leaving?!?
    Her: I’ve been here since [whenever] and I need to get home.
    Me: Ma’am, we’re ALL trying to get home tonight!
    Her: But I have to be back here in the morning.
    Me: It looks like we’re ALL going to be back here in the morning.

And then she left. And so did the supervisor who had been working with another passenger. According to my agent, who responded when several people in line asked where the other two were going, the supervisor had to “check out” the other agent. I have no idea why and about 10 minutes later the supervisor came back. But now there were two. And nobody was getting on any flights that night. From what I could tell, not one single passenger was found another flight.

I was given a flight for the next morning and a voucher for a cheap hotel across the street and a $10 voucher for dinner and $5 for breakfast, both of which really are only accepted at the airport. But there is no food at this airport without passing through security, which I could no longer do without a boarding pass for a flight that night.

Before I left the agent, I asked if I had been booked into first class for my flights, since I had previously been booked in first for my flight out of DC. She said that I had since those were the only seats left. “Both
    flights?” I asked. “Yes, ” she said. She lied! But more on that in a moment.

I caught a shuttle to the hotel, the misnamed Quality Inn. They had no food available, so I took a walk. It was raining out and very cold, but I walked about a half mile to a Tim Horton’s for a sandwich and then to a gas station for a large beer. I was fairly wet by the time I got back to the hotel room for my beer-fueled pity party…

The next morning I got up very early and went back to the airport for my flight, this time to Philly. I was in seat 4A and boarding with Zone 1, which I assumed was First Class, especially since the agent had said it was. As I mentioned before, she lied. 4A is actually the front seat in coach, right behind the bulkhead, in other words, one of the worst seats on the plane. I mentioned the issue to the flight attendant who said I needed to get off the plane and talk to the gate agent.

When I saw that the gate agent was the same lady who had left early the night before, I knew I was in trouble. I explained my issue and she told me, “No, you’re only First Class out of Philly, and this flight is full.” and she
    thrust my boarding pass back at me. Not exactly friendly or helpful, much as I had feared. So I sat in coach for the, thankfully, uneventful flight.
    Now, while First Class is nice, I wasn’t that concerned about it, really. But what just pisses me off like nothing else is being lied to. I absolutely HATE it. It makes me want to punch people in the face. (Of course, I don’t.)

On the second flight, I was sitting in First and when the flight attendant asked if I wanted anything to drink before we took off, I most certainly did! I asked for a bloody mary and she told me that she didn’t have the
    liquor on board yet and it might be a few minutes. That was fine, and I could certainly wait. And I would have been OK with it, except that just before we took off I saw her collecting cups from other bottles, including a bloody mary from the passenger right in front of me. Apparently, there was liquor on board, just not enough for me.

Remember my comment about being lied to? I really, really hate it, and this was twice now.

Idid eventually get home and was happy for it. But I will not soon forget this horrible experience. The mechanical problem wasn't anybody's fault and could have happened to any airline, but the problem was compounded several times over by the US Airways agents who were rude, angry, dishonest, and almost entirely useless. I will never give them my business again.

• Yo
    YouWontLikeMeWhenIAmAngry Feb 11, 2011

I am an America with status on US Airways and as far as I know my points will expire unless I fly with them within so many months. Maybe they recently changed the policy, but as far as I know everyone has to fly to maintain points and status.

• Le
    Lemonade Feb 11, 2011

My family and I have collected US Airways dividend miles for years and believed that they were like the other airline and they treated everyone fairly But US Airways does NOT treat people fairly. If you are Canadian -DO NOT FLY WITH US AIRWAYS because you are considered a 2nd Class Passenger and Consumer. In order to maintain your points without flying, if you are not American, the only option you have before they steal them from you is to PAY MORE MONEY as a Penalty for being Canadian. They Stole Our Points and wont give them Back and their customer service continually said they were sorry but more or less too bad. One supervisor who I won't name this time, specifically told us that under No Circumstances was he going to give our points back - this was after 3 days of dealing with their 'customer service' to fix the problem - BEFORE they were supposed to expire. Apparently if you steal or borrow an American's address and identity, you can restore your points many different ways but because you're Canadian, You have to Pay us or we'll take them away - With 'Friends' like those people at US Airways, who needs enemies!!!

• Si
    Simpsolm Jan 29, 2011

As I flew home from Christmas, I was excited to see that my flight (US Airways) to White Plains, NY from Indianapolis, with a connection in Philadelphia, was running completely on time. I was not one of the unfortunate people who had my flight canceled due to weather, resulting in days of sitting around an airport. My flight arrived at PHL about 5 minutes late, but there was still enough, if I hustled, to make it to my connecting flight. I RAN down terminal A in order to get to the shuttle to take me to terminal E or F, I can't remember, on the other side of the airport for those unfamiliar with PHL. The shuttle wasn't there, but the US Airways attendant assured me that she had called the gate of the connecting flight to let them know there were passengers waiting for a shuttle, and that the flight was in fact waiting for us to get there. Amazing. The shuttle arrived and the driver was less than quick. In fact, I think we were all a hindrance in his ability to flirt with the female US Airways staff member on the shuttle. He was driving slowly and chatting away with this female staff member while those of us on the shuttle were trying to connect to a flight. But, I wasn't worried, I still had 25 minutes before ***. I got to the gate approximately 20 - 22 minutes before the flight was supposed to ***.

This was a connecting flight, so I was already checked in. Meaning I SHOULD have until 15 prior to *** before the gate closes. (Side note, I have an email from US Airways that states: "The closing of our flights at the gate begins 10 minutes prior to departure with the door to close on the aircraft at 5 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.") Yet as I ran up to the gate (I was the first person from my flight to make it to the gate), the US Airways attendant was walking out of the door and to the plane. I watched him close the plane's door from the window of the airport. I tried speaking to several US Airways uniformed employees who all looked at me as though I had an extra eye in the middle of my forehead. No one would stop the man. No one would even attempt to open the door to tell him there were other passengers there to board. Mind you, still prior to the 15 minute cut off. When the man finally came back inside, I was considerably upset. His response, "We close the gate at 15 prior to departure time." I looked at my cell phone. It was just at that moment 15 minutes prior to departure. I had been standing there for at least 5 minutes. I was on time. After 10 more minutes of arguing and other passengers showing up, the US Airways agent told me he would no longer speak to me. He stated, "I am not a manager. I don't have to deal with this." I told him he should probably find a manager fast. 10 more minutes later a manager, young man in a pink sweater, strolled up to the gate. He was met by the same questions we had asked the first rep. "We were told the flight was waiting." "Why did you close the gate early?" "Why wasn't I let on the flight? I was here on time."

Now, it is my assumption that they had customers on standby and assume that our flight wasn't going to make it to PHL in time to connect. They then gave our seats to standby customers, instead of waiting an adequate amount of time for us to board. When I asked the manager about this, he said that this was absolutely not the case. Flights MUST close their doors 15 prior to departure. It is not a negotiable issue. And that US Airways would "never, " and I quote, "NEVER" allow standby passengers to board if there is still a chance that ticketed passengers will be arriving on time. Also, the manager informed me that it is not regulation to hold a flight for passengers. Remember these quotes.

The manager finally re-booked those of us waiting on different flights. Two of us excepted flights to a nearby airport 2 hours later. Not a huge time difference. I was still furious I was not allowed on my original flight, but 2 hours wouldn't kill me. I asked where my luggage was. The manager said he assumed it was on the plane going to White Plains, my original destination. I asked him kindly if he could check into that. He came back 5 minutes later and said my bag had never made it onto the plane. It would be re-ticketed and placed on my next flight. He also explained to us that we were holding standby tickets. He said, "You will be on this next flight. As I look over the flight information for connecting passengers, I can see that there are 7 passengers that are on flights that will NOT make it to PHL in time to make this connecting flight." Really? He was promising standby people seats on a flight under the assumption that ticketed passengers would not make it in time?? Isn't this what he JUST promised me didn't happen to my seat on the original flight?

So we waited for the next flight. When it comes time to board, it is mass chaos. Come to find out, the manager and US Airways had given out roughly 20 standby tickets for this flight. The gate agent was allowing standby people on the plane before ticketed passengers. There were ticketed passengers showing up that had no seat because the agent was stressed to the max and basically allowing people to board that weren't supposed to be boarding yet. Ticketed passengers were not allowed to board this flight and no one seemed concerned. I quickly knew that I would NOT be boarding this flight that I was promised I would be on. And when I looked at my phone again, the time was 10 minutes prior to ***. The gate was not closed. There was chaos as to who should board. The manager was called over again. Those 7 passenger that would "Never make it in time, " well they were there at this point. Furious as well. We were asking the manager why the gate hadn't been closed? It should have been closed 15 minutes prior to boarding and there should not have been standby people on that flight if they were going to continue with the same procedures that had kept some of us off of our original flight.

The manager started freaking out. He had a group of 20 or so people around him, all angry, and I know that his job is not easy. Unfortunately, he had lied to us about the status of the flights passengers, and that we would make this flight. They handed out too many standby tickets. They were unorganized. He then sent 7 of us to another flight that was leaving in 15 minutes. He said they were "holding the flight" for us. (Remember, earlier he said that US Airways couldn't hold flights for customers.) We ran to the next flight, boarded, sat down and finally, I felt like we were on our way. Except we weren't.

The flight attendant stated that the last 3 people on the plane, my name included, had to exit the plane due to weight restrictions. You have to be kidding me. At this point I went crazy. I could not wrap my mind around everything that had happened that morning. I walked off the plane into the tunnel and asked to talk to a manager. A manager was there and said there was nothing he could do. I informed him that he needed to take someone else off that flight. There were people on that flight that had just landed in PHL and I had been there for hours. I had the right to leave first. I was practically in tears at this point just wondering when I would be going home. Luckily for me, one of the people they had asked to leave the plane was flying with his girlfriend who didn't want to leave without him. So she left the flight as well and I was then allowed to re-board. I was the only one allowed to re-board. Finally, I was leaving PHL.

I arrived at the next airport, an hour out of the way for my ride, and there were two US Airways employees working out on the runway. That is two people helping with arrivals, helping with departures, helping with luggage. Two people. We sat on the plane for quite a while on the runway. And low and behold, it took another 30 minutes of waiting inside for the luggage. And of course, my luggage was not there. Go figure. I filed a claim and it was supposed to go to my original destination and then it would be delivered to me. Except 45 minutes later when I called US Airways to check on the status (the young man at the gate did not seem confident in knowing where my bag actually was), I was informed that my bag had just landed. At the airport I had just left. Again. Furious. Had I been told the correct destination of my luggage I would have stayed at the airport to pick it up. Instead I had to wait 7 more hours to get my bag.

• Te
    Tezakk Jan 25, 2011

I have two serious complaints:

1) On my way to MIA from Madrid (due to the bad weather in PHI) we had to stay two nights in Philadelphia, when we got to the airport at PHI to take the plain to MIA we had to pay 50 USD to check our 2 bags that we already had with us from Madrid. Those two bags were checked from Madrid but since we had to stay for two days in PHI we got our bags back and we had to pay for checking the same bags from PHI to MIA which was since the beginning our final destination.

2) On our way back to Madrid from Miami we were supposed to leave with flight nr. 718 on Friday 7th of January at 2.15pm. We arrived at the check-in desk of US Airways at 11.30am and we got offered by a lady called "Nina" to be changed to an Iberia flight that was leaving on the same day at 5pm and it was a direct flight, so we accepted. We got to the desk of Iberia just 15 min later and we had to wait until 1:45pm for them to open. Once it finally was the check in time, the person from Iberia tells us that we were put on a WAITING LIST and that he was not able to confirm our seats until 1 hours before the plain departure time, this was completely unacceptable for us, so we went back to US Airways to speak with Nina and with no further explanations she started looking into options to put us in another flight; at that point it was of course too late to catch our original flight at 2:15 (which we found out later by other people in the airport that flight was cancelled, but we were never advised about that by US Airways). So after more than 1 hour waiting for Nina and colleague Adam to find a solution for us, they put us in a low cost flight (Air Berlin) to DUS (Dusseldorf) from there we had to change to Lufthansa to fly to FRA (Frankfurt) and then finally from FRA to Madrid. All this caused a series of inconveniences: we had again to wait for the third time in a line to check in for the Air Berlin flight, we had to RUN to catch the plain because we were the last people boarding, I was carrying my wedding dress which was bad treated in flight after flight, and running around the airport and through security which was not my intention when I arrived at the airport with 3 hours before my original departure time. All in all, we feel completely abused and dismayed by this type of treatment and the situation, because we initially paid a 1 connection flight with a quality airline and ended up flying in a low cost airline, paying extra for our luggage, and having to go through two connections before reaching our final destinations.

• Si
    simpsolm Jan 19, 2011

Share this story with as many people as possible.
    As I flew home from Christmas, I was excited to see that my flight (US Airways) to White Plains, NY from Indianapolis, with a connection in Philadelphia, was running completely on time. I was not one of the unfortunate people who had my flight canceled due to weather, resulting in days of sitting around an airport. My flight arrived at PHL about 5 minutes late, but there was still enough, if I hustled, to make it to my connecting flight. I RAN down terminal A in order to get to the shuttle to take me to terminal E or F, I can't remember, on the other side of the airport for those unfamiliar with PHL. The shuttle wasn't there, but the US Airways attendant assured me that she had called the gate of the connecting flight to let them know there were passengers waiting for a shuttle, and that the flight was in fact waiting for us to get there. Amazing. The shuttle arrived and the driver was less than quick. In fact, I think we were all a hindrance in his ability to flirt with the female US Airways staff member on the shuttle. He was driving slowly and chatting away with this female staff member while those of us on the shuttle were trying to connect to a flight. But, I wasn't worried, I still had 25 minutes before take off. I got to the gate approximately 20 - 22 minutes before the flight was supposed to take off. This was a connecting flight, so I was already checked in. Meaning I SHOULD have until 15 prior to take off before the gate closes. (Side note, I have an email from US Airways that states: "The closing of our flights at the gate begins 10 minutes prior to departure with the door to close on the aircraft at 5 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time.") Yet as I ran up to the gate (I was the first person from my flight to make it to the gate), the US Airways attendant was walking out of the door and to the plane. I watched him close the plane's door from the window of the airport. I tried speaking to several US Airways uniformed employees who all looked at me as though I had an extra eye in the middle of my forehead. No one would stop the man. No one would even attempt to open the door to tell him there were other passengers there to board. Mind you, still prior to the 15 minute cut off. When the man finally came back inside, I was considerably upset. His response, "We close the gate at 15 prior to departure time." I looked at my cell phone. It was just at that moment 15 minutes prior to departure. I had been standing there for at least 5 minutes. I was on time. After 10 more minutes of arguing and other passengers showing up, the US Airways agent told me he would no longer speak to me. He stated, "I am not a manager. I don't have to deal with this." I told him he should probably find a manager fast. 10 more minutes later a manager, young man in a pink sweater, strolled up to the gate. He was met by the same questions we had asked the first rep. "We were told the flight was waiting." "Why did you close the gate early?" "Why wasn't I let on the flight? I was here on time."
    Now, it is my assumption that they had customers on standby and assumed that our flight wasn't going to make it to PHL in time to connect. They then gave our seats to standby customers, instead of waiting an adequate amount of time for us to board. When I asked the manager about this, he said that this was absolutely not the case. Flights MUST close their doors 15 prior to departure. It is not a negotiable issue. And that US Airways would "never, " and I quote, "NEVER" allow standby passengers to board if there is still a chance that ticketed passengers will be arriving on time. Also, the manager informed me that it is not regulation to hold a flight for passengers. Remember these quotes.
    So we waited for the next flight. When it comes time to board, it is mass chaos. Come to find out, the manager and US Airways had given out roughly 20 standby tickets for this flight. The gate agent was allowing standby people on the plane before ticketed passengers. There were ticketed passengers showing up that had no seat because the agent was stressed to the max and basically allowing people to board that weren't supposed to be boarding yet. Ticketed passengers were not allowed to board this flight and no one seemed concerned. I quickly knew that I would NOT be boarding this flight that I was promised I would be on. And when I looked at my phone again, the time was 10 minutes prior to take off. The gate was not closed. There was chaos as to who should board. The manager was called over again. Those 7 passenger that would "Never make it in time, " well they were there at this point. Furious as well. We were asking the manager why the gate hadn't been closed? It should have been closed 15 minutes prior to boarding and there should not have been standby people on that flight if they were going to continue with the same procedures that had kept some of us off of our original flight.
    Now the airline has heard this story. And of course, they are completely unwilling to do any form of compensation. They say that my experience is unusual for their airline and that it was all "weather related." Nonsense. Complete and insulting nonsense. US Airways has the worst customer service of any airline that I have ever flown. No one on the customer service lines with help, in fact at one point I was informed that they no longer communicate with customers via telephone. You have to email your complaints. I did finally speak to someone live this morning who called me after I requested so in my 2nd or 3rd email, who did listen, and then told me that there was nothing they could do. A line from one of the emails states, "The travel incident you describe is regrettable, and we apologize for the difficulties you encountered. Our intention is to offer the best travel experience possible. The details you have provided indicate that we have failed to meet our intentions." They are aware that they did not meet their expectations, and yet I am still denied even a small amount of compensation for the baggage that they lost/delayed/didn't know where it was/sent to the wrong airport, or for being treated like dirt and yelled at by US Airways employees at the airport. When Delta sent my bag to the wrong airport only a week before, they compensated me $75 immediately. US Airways is a joke as far as customer service. Everyone should do themselves a favor and never fly with US Airways.

john russo jr Jan 18, 2011

us airways offers you when you purchase a master card with their logo
    a companion airfare for $99. this never happens.
    i have been a member of their rewards program for two years and never received a companion airfare . last year they said it was in the mail, this year they said it was in the mail after 3 phone calls and the same
    bs story they now blame the post office ...
    it is amazing how i get my monthly bill with no problem but for two years my tickets are lost in the mail

this is nothing but a scam and master card should disassociate itself with us airways

• Ar
    Armando Jan 13, 2011

I will do everything in my power to avoid flying with USAIR. They continue to disappoint me with horrible customer service. The attitude I received on 12/30/10 at the Philly Airport automated check-in was a disgrace. Other customers behind me could not believe the attitude and treatment that I was receiving and made a comment to me. This made me feel better because I thought I was a bit anxious. I would have never received this service with SouthWest Airlines. USAir needs to make a serious investment in customer relations. I understand flights are delayed and everyone becomes agitated, but this situation was absolutely unwarranted as everything was flyng on time.

• Ts
    T. Silvawalker Jan 12, 2011

Good to know. I always investigate airlines before booking with them. Problem airlines are just not worth the hassle.

• Ga
    Gary in Portland, OR Jan 12, 2011

I am yet another is a long line of customers who have been abused by US Airways and it’s so call “Customer Service.” I, like many before me, don’t intend to take this abuse lying down. Your so-called, “policies” are arbitrary and unilateral. After all, US Airways reserves the right to cancel, delay or change flights for any reason. Yet the consumer has no rights once US Airways gets their money. Instead of reasoned consideration and fairness, US Airways prefers to inflict as much emotional and financial aggravation as possible through these rigid, nonsensical, applications of company rules and regulations administered by untrained circus clowns.

While I doubt that you will ever read this letter, let me tell you what happened to my wife and I and our two best friends.

In August of 2017 I contacted Expedia to book an all-inclusive 8-day vacation to Aruba for the four of us. We paid up front for our tickets and were confirmed on US Airways to fly from Portland to Phoenix to Philadelphia to Charlotte to Aruba. Several days after receiving confirmation of our flights, I was notified by e-mail that US Airways had changed my flight. I contacted our friends to see if they had received the same notification and they hadn’t. They contacted US Airways and were told that there was no cancellation of their flight, which was the same flight we were being told, had been cancelled. I called Expedia and they confirmed that US Airways had changed the flight and that my wife and I would be flying to Phoenix, then to Charlotte, then on to Aruba. Our friends would remain flying to Philadelphia then hope to catch up with us in Charlotte. I again called Expedia and told them that this was not acceptable travel arrangement because: (1) We were traveling together (2) the original flight that we were booked on was still going. (3) That if the original flight wasn’t going then our friends should be moved onto the changed flight with us. Expedia promised to call US Airways for an explanation. Eventually, I was contacted by Expedia and told that my wife and I would be moved back to our original flight, but that US Airways was deciding on whether or not to charge a cancellation and change of flight fee. Supposedly, Expedia “negotiated” a waiver of these fees that US Airways was planning to fraudulently impose.

On January 10, 2017 we arose early to check the status of our flight for later that day. There was a Severe Weather Advisory posted for the very area we would be flying into. Noted in the advisory was the warning that flights could be cancelled or delayed due to the worsening conditions. By 10:00am we were convinced that the likelihood of us reaching our destination without delays was not reasonable. Especially since, we had to make a connecting flight from Philadelphia to Charlotte and Charlotte was experiencing the worst snow since 1962. Snow and ice were expected for at least the next 24-48 hours. Additionally, we had made inquiries regarding delays in reaching Charlotte and were told that there was only the single flight to Aruba that we were booked on. If we somehow missed that connection we would not be able to get out of Charlotte until Thursday or possibly Friday. (In point of fact, US Airways flight 1593 from Philadelphia to Charlotte was cancelled). Obviously we ran the risk of a complete fiasco where we either didn’t reach our destination of if we did we would be 3 or 4 days late. We had already paid for our resort and doubted that they would refund unused days already paid. So being reasonable, and very disappointed people, we decided to cancel our flight and our vacation.

I contacted Expedia and informed them of our decision, based upon the weather. They cancelled our flight, or should I say, attempted to cancel the flight through US Airways. I was given a confirmation of cancellation number: S17688056. Our friends also called and cancelled and were told that US Airways would not refund any money except to extend a credit, which could be redeemed for $300. Should, they decide to fly US Air within one year. I assumed that reasonable people would waive this fee, since this was a weather related event. When I checked my e-mail the following morning, I find a notice that our flight is still confirmed, although having left the day before. Mr. Parker, I tried for 4 hours to reach someone at US Airways. I couldn’t get beyond a queue where I would wait on the phone for an hour or more before trying another means of contact. I E-mailed customer support and of course nothing by way of reply. Finally, I went to Expedia where they attempted to contact US Airways and I had to hold on the phone for 1 hour and 45 minutes before the Expedia agent could get anyone from US Airways on the phone. The agent relayed to me that US Airways felt that we had forfeited the entire cost of the trip because we had not cancelled. When Expedia provided documentation that we had in fact cancelled, the agent replied that we couldn’t receive any refund because we would have had to actually fly to Philadelphia where (our) flight 1593 was cancelled! I asked what kind of logic this person was following, since our flight would have been cancelled in Philadelphia? I was told that we wouldn’t have received any refund; rather, US Airways would have rerouted us to some other state from which we would eventually reach Aruba. The flaw in this argument is that we had a contract to fly on a certain date and time to a certain place and time. We didn’t and wouldn’t agree that, oh well, whenever US Airways gets us there is fine. Who would? We had paid reservations and accommodations, yet we were supposed to rely on US Airways to get us there at their convenience? At the end of the day, after much upset and protestations, I was told that the US Airways “Customer Service Agent” would allow us to get the value of our tickets back, for a fee of $300. And the promise to fly within one year on US Airways, paying any additional fees as required. I stated that I wanted to know who the CEO of US Airways was, and was told that the agent “didn’t know” and that she “only answered phones” and finally, we could either “take it or leave it” meaning forfeit all our airfare. If we wanted to know who the identity of the US Airways CEO, we could “look it up online.”

Mr. Parker I want a full refund of my ticket purchase. We didn’t casually cancel our trip, which we had planned for over a year. We did what the airlines do; we relied upon the weather forecast that advised us to expect delays and cancellations. Why under the circumstances does your company feel entitled to an unearned $300 (extortion) fee? Why under the circumstances, does your company think we would want to ever darken the doorway of one of your aircraft? Responsible companies that truly care about the consumer do exceptions and waivers all the time. Apparently, your company ethics are just to screw the consumer. Use every loophole and asinine argument, refuse to listen, refuse to be reasonable, obfuscate, obstruct, and delay and no matter what; never give the customer his/her money back. Is that really how you want to run your company?

I sincerely hope that writing to you wasn’t an exercise in futility. It’s never too late to do the right thing. I await your reply.

• Bu
    Buckettripper Dec 07, 2010

Our flight returning from Aruba on 11/29/2017 was cancelled due to a mechanical problem requiring a part to be delivered the next day. All passengers were bussed to the Holiday Inn for the night and issued food vouchers. We were transported to the airport a 1 pm the following day, 11/30 for a scheduled 5 pm flight. Bear in mind that we had to check in at the ticket counter, go through passport control, security, customs, and security for a 2nd time. This process can take up to 2 hours. There was no explanation of why the part was not sent on an earlier flight of another airline, nor was any information on the plan to get the part in and get us out the next day, 12/1. We were all frustrated with the incompetence of the union employees of US Airways and the lack of communication. We were transported to a hotel, given food vouchers and told that we would be informed of the plan for the next day. The next morning my wife called the front desk several times but was told that there was no information from US Airways. We went down for breakfast around 9:30 and were surprised to find that the bus for our transport to the airport was being loaded. We scrambled and made the bus to the airport, went through check in, passport control, security, customs, and a second security check. Our flight departed before noon and the flight crew was doing double time in damage control. The captain even went through the cabin and offered apologies and tried to smooth our dissatisfaction. Since both my wife and I had lost 2 days of work and suffered some inconvenience, I sent a complaint to customer service and hoped that the airline would be fair in offering some form of compensation. To their credit they did offer a travel voucher for each my wife and I. After all of the inconvenience and lost time, we were given $200 each in travel vouchers. Given that we lost the second day due to the incompetence of the airline union employees, I protested and asked for reconsideration from customer service, even suggesting an upgrade to envoy or business class on a future flight. I was told that the $200 each was the limit and that was given as a goodwill gesture as they are under no obligation to give us anything. However, they did apologize. I think it stinks.

• Ih
    i hate complainers Nov 17, 2010

Why would you file this complaint under US Airways? They didnt issue the credit card. As far as I know the credit card is issued by Barclays Bank. Your problem is with them not US Airways.

• Bi
    Billy E Oct 19, 2010

I called to cancel my US Airways Mastercard administered by Card Services in Philadelphia because I did not want to pay the annual fee anymore (US Airways pulled out of our airport). I called as soon as the charges appeared on my credit card bill. It took almost 30 minutes of arguing to cancel my card. They had offered to waive the annual fee if I kept the card active. I kept refusing and wanted my card cancelled. When they finally conceded they told me I would be charged for the annual fee for the coming year and would not budge. I am screwed because if I don't pay the fee my credit report will be affected. They would not allow me to speak to a superior. What a bunch of thieves.

• Pt
    Pt8ohd Oct 13, 2010

We had the exact same thing happened to us and Barclay's just refers us back to US Air and back and forth we go but no ticket. Its a straight up scam.

• Co
    ConcernedConsumer_105 Sep 29, 2010

Summary: Very unhappy with service: 1) very delayed flights, 2) extremely unprofessional gate staff, and 3) damaged contents to carryon bag that was checked unexpectedly before boarding.

Dear US Airways,

I have had such as horrid experience flying US Airways on 9/23/2017. It would be easier to list what wasn’t wrong with the experience…I guess I can at least say the plane didn’t crash. Your flights were LATE, and your gate crew and boarding crew were incredibly RUDE and unprofessional, and completely disrespectful of our time and money invested in flying your airline.

Is there no such thing as an on-time US Airways flight? Seriously, so far, 3 flights in past two days…and two have been very late, and nearly missed my connection last night. And tonight, the flight boarded over an hour late….and even before the late boarding was suspected, your gate crew in Reagan airport at Gate 42 for flight 1229 was already lecturing the waiting passengers over the intercom…I have flown many airlines (though thankfully not much on US Airways before!) and I have NEVER heard such lecturing of passengers…you would have thought we were disobedient students that were storming the gate. The passengers were calm, collected, and standing at the time the flight was anticipated to board (as there weren’t even enough seats for everyone), but your crew was visibly upset and already lecturing that “if you ALL don’t get away from the desk, NO ONE is going to board this plane!” There was no excuse for such behavior.

No space on the flight for a single roller bag for an overnight business traveler that had connections to make? Seriously, even before anyone boarded, your gate crew was making threats to us on the intercom….”If you are in zone 4 or 5, this is your last chance to check your luggage, because if there isn’t room, you will have to surrender it on the plane, so do it now!” Frankly, I would have probably surrendered my bag earlier but the tone of voice was so rude, I didn’t even want to go up to the desk if I didn’t have to….and besides, I was in zone 3. Well, even though I was in zone 3, and had a small roller bag that I use all the time for overnight travel (including no issues on similar flight the night before) and it fits all plane regulations for size and weight, and just as I got ready to board the plane, your boarding crew DEMANDED my bag….didn’t request it, didn’t apologize, didn’t ask nicely, but DEMANDED it now and only when I told them I was going to connect to another flight did they even bother to ask where I was going to figure out how to the get the luggage to my destination. Then, came home to discover the unexpected demanded checking of my carryon bag had damaged contents when I got to my destination: Broken viewing screen on my Canon PowerShot A450 digital camera. Oh, and when we deplaned...guess what was in the storage space above my seat so my bag couldn't fit? Oversized bags from US Airways employees who were flying as passengers on this flight, and their bulky outercoats...so clearly, US Airways employees do not need to follow carryon rules, and because of it, your paying passengers get their carryon luggage taken away unexpectedly...and damaged in the process. Wow.

What is wrong with your crew? You would have thought I was carrying some gigantic oversize, overweight bag that I was asking them to carry…and they had such attitude. Seriously, I am not kidding when I tell you that two days before my flight, I was in a car accident when my car was demolished by a distracted bus driver and, compared to my flights tonight, I seriously am more disappointed at your airline than the bus driver because at least the bus driver apologized! I didn’t even have time to take out what I needed for the layover time before they took the bag…..and I had a very sore back and a two hour layover before the next flight if it had run on-time (of course it didn’t). Also, because I didn't have my rolling carryon, I didn't have anything to put my personal laptop bag on to transport to the next flight at my connection...meaning I had to unexpectedly carry on my shoulders through the Charlotte airport to get to my connection.

I fly frequently for business and pleasure, and I have a long career ahead of me involving travel…and thankfully there are plenty of other airlines to choose from, because at this point, why would I invest my money, time, or patience, and belongings again with your airline?

So, WOW, what a costly flight in terms of my time, peace of mind, aggravation, and broken contents of a carryon bag that was demanded to be checked without good reason.

• Oc
    oclem Sep 26, 2010

i fly 8 times a year with us airways i have asked thier empolyees 3 questions each time i would not get an answer so i continue to ask i thought maybe they could not hear me finally i was answered all three times by the same answer i quote "if you dont shutup i will see to it you will not get on this plane today " why do they treat thier customers this way it seems they are trained to give this answer