United States Census Bureau2020 census worker asking about neighbors

C Sep 17, 2020

A census worker visited my house this evening asking about my neighbors, who were not home. I told him that he should come back later and ask them the questions himself because I didn't feel comfortable answering on their behalf without their permission. I told him this multiple times, but he was pushy and a little condescending when I didn't want to answer. He told me my answers are confidential then asked for my name. I didn't give it and so he wrote in his phone-thingy that I was refusing to cooperate. He acted disappointed that he'd have to make another trip out here to talk with the neighbors because I wouldn't answer for them. Is he not getting paid with my tax dollars to do this?! Good grief!
One more thing that bothered me was that his vehicle didn't have plates, just a temporary plate. Just made me suspicious and question if he was legitimate or not.
I think it is completely unprofessional and untrustworthy of a government worker to ask important census questions of a neighbor about a neighbor. How accurate is that?!

Martin Richards Sep 19, 2020

8 pm in Austin, MN and a knock on the door. This is a tougher area of town. As I asked who was at the door I heard the word census. I got the door open an my mask on and this woman was leaving the patio. I asked what she needed and was told We hadn't completed the Census. I knew I had online and told her so. She responded that her record said not. I also told her that she shouldn't be out alone in this area of town. Dressed in dark clothing after 8 PM. NO amount of information is worth her life if she gets confronted or hit by a car crossing the street.

The lack of Census bureau competency astounds me. I am disgusted that my tax dollars are wasted first online (by The way, I have a confirmation form in my files) then by this poor woman risking her safety out in a tough part of town. I refiled my results this evening with a phone worker again to be sure we get counted.

In conclusion, this operation is a total mess and it speaks to the lack of continuity and the overall leader ship of this part of the government. Very upset.

A concerned citizen