United Reader Services or USA CollectionsHarassing telephone calls!

A

United Readers call claiming that money is owed on a magazine subscription. I have NO subscriptions to ANY magazines. They threaten to send me to collections, 2 weeks later USA COLLECTIONS calls and says I owe money, when I tell them that I have no magazine subscriptions they say they will have to look into it. When I ask telemarketer "Mark" on the other end of the phone his telephone number he hangs up.

• Gi
    Gilletten Aug 09, 2010

I agree with MST64 because of the fact that the "Mrs. Hope" who said she had to pay $6000 in small claims in FL is residing in Hunalolo Hawaii. I'm not sure if Hunalolo is supposed to be Honolulu...

• Sp
    spidersweb Jan 28, 2010

I am afraid that I to have fallen into their spiders web. Same stuff, $1, 500 will settle for $499 only on a credit card. Will not give out any info but when the call was done I did a *69 which give the NY number [protected]. With laws on the books how come no government agency can stop them? It is like they are untouchable.

• Tl
    TLM from Delaware Jan 25, 2010

From TLM I recieved another call from USA Collections Agency today. It was the same woman that passed me off to Mark Cowan. When she started to tell me that Mark could did not talk to me on Thursday like he said. I told her I talked to him on Friday and told him the was running a scam and not to call me anymore. Out of the blue she told me that the statutes of limitations is 7 years. I told her that I live in Delaware and it is 3 years and then I hung up on her. Can anyone tell me how to stop them.

• Tl
    TLM from Delaware Jan 24, 2010

From TLM

I to have recieved many phone calls from the USA collection agency. I have spoken to four different people. The last one said his name was Mark Cowan. He gave me the same story that most of the others have been given. The contract number that he gave as my number is 934948. When I told him I had talked to the United Readers' Service Inc.. He told me it was a different company. His company was United Readers' Services with a S on the end. When I Googled that name I came up with this Web Site. The number that they have been calling me on is [protected]. When I call the number back it tells me that the box is full. The address on my caller ID is New York, New York. I am also going to complain to the FTC.

• Al
    ali167 Jan 20, 2010

I received a phone call from someone telling me I owed them over $1, 500 in a back bill from this reader service. I NEVER had a reader service. EVER!!!
    Once I checked on line what was going on I found that this is all FRAUD!
    USA collections is in on this and they are trying to make a lot of money using scare tactics.

• Ms
    MST64 Jan 18, 2010

Since they keep saying they have oral contracts, I suggest you look at this site : http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/article-29941.html which tells the length of time oral contracts are valid in all 50 states. Also, remember that if you are recorded on the phone, those recordings can be manipulated to sound like something else later.

I have seen at least two posts where people claim they have actually been taken to court and lost. One woman said she had to pay $6000 in Florida where the small claims limit is $5000. Additionally, they are trying to scare people with threats of lawsuits in Florida, but small-claims court requires that they bring suit (which they are not going to because this is a SCAM) at the court nearest your home.

• Co
    ColderThanHeck Jan 15, 2010

This company has been calling my house for over a month now, every day. They ask for "Connie Mohlmann", no such person lives here, nor do I know of any such person. I told them that, they hung up. Every time they called I told them the same thing and that they needed to remove my phone number from their records - and each time before I could finish my sentence they would hang up.

This is ridiculous and not a valid company. A professional collection agency would hang on the line and listen to what I had to say, maybe even try to feel out if I was being honest or not - pry for more info, ya know the drill. I worked in collections for a number of years and know how it works. It doesn't work the way they operate. I do not have a phone number (they claim they can't get incoming calls), or any contact info, and asking to speak with a manager results in a hang up on their end. Tomorrow when they call I will ask for the contract number. I expect that I will hear the exact same number that each and every poster here has noted.

This is a scam. I will be filing with the ftc momentarily.

• De
    DebbieSmith Jan 14, 2010

Hi, my name is Debra Smith and I was receiving harrassing calls from a woman who claimed to be working for the USA collection agency. She told me my contract #912847 was overdue for the past 3 years and how I owed the United Readers Services 1500$. I didn't recall ever receiving these magazines and told the girl to stop calling me and contacted the Better Business Bureau who told me to ignore these calls. Unfortunately i recently received a sopena for a court date which I attended to find out the account was in fact mine, and now I owe the court almost 4000$ with court fees, lawyer fees and of course my outstanding debt. Oh lord, how ever will I come up with this kind of money now...

• Bu
    bug123 Jan 13, 2010

I have been getting these calls a lot the last couple of weeks as well. I have told them repeatedly that I am aware of their scam and they just get beligerent and insist that I don't pay my bills and that I am going to mess up my credit. They threaten to mess up my credit and once even told me that it was now too late and that it was out of their hands and had been sent on and would now go on my credit report. A couple of nights ago I even checked my credit report. No worries!

My husband wanted me to get info so that we could look it up. Today when they called I got their name, USA Collections Agency. They said that I owe $1000.00 but can settle it today for just $499.98 and how would I like to take care of that? They said that I had ordered the US Women's Package in August of 2006 and that the contract number was 912847. On another call I swear that they spouted off 2001.

I told them to go ahead and move forward with it. He said that there would be a lawsuit and I told him that I would deal with it if it happened.

I also had harrassing phone calls about magazines a year or two ago. Exact same stuff. Apparently they don't give up easily.

• Jp
    jpdenoyer Jan 04, 2010

Several years ago I used a magazine subscription service. I think I took care of it but my memory is not 100% clear.

Once a year or so I get phone calls claiming I still owe. I actually did give a credit card number once or twice.

If I ask for an invoice they claim they sent one several months ago. The first time they conveniently said they had sent it to an old address.

Several time I asked to pay by money order. One time I asked them to call me back in a couple days. I got a money order and kept it in my wallet over a year before cashing it in. Another time I asked for a mailing address and mailed a money order but the letter was returned because of a bad address.

Most recently I have been receiving calls from USA collection agency claiming I owe for a subscription to United readers services. After reading this board I know to just hang up on these calls.

Sneekyjack Dec 21, 2009

USA Collections is out of control I was just contacted again and was told that i was sent writen proof of a bill in april . I told them directly to not cantact me again unless they would sent me written proof of a bill and that u had contacted united reader Services and they again told me they would have no knowledge of my bill since they sent the file to collections, Now as members of my family own business i know that you always keep a record for yourself. Please if anyone runs into these people be sure to file a complaint and maybe somone will do something.

Sneekyjack Dec 21, 2009

Quick update I have filed a complain with ftccomplaintassistant.gov, The Better Business Bureau and the Mass Attorney-general

Sneekyjack Dec 21, 2009

I also have been receiveing harrassing phone calls from USA Collections. I was origanaly contacted on thanksgiving saying i owed 2, 600.oo Dollars to United Readers Services however if i paid 499.00 Dollars my debit would be called even and i would also recieve 100.00 as a senior discoount reguardless of my age. when I told them i was unemployed and couldn't do it right that day they told me they would call me back on dec 10th so i could make the Payment. I then recived a call a few days before the 10th by another person from USA COLLECTIONS. when i said i was told i could make it on Dec 10 they said no problem they would call me back. This whole situation didn't seem right to me. So i went on the internet and looked up United Readers Services and got a phone number and Called. The Cunstomer service person asked ame a couple questions and looked up my phone numbers i had had in the past and said they had no record of me and they have problems with USA Collections and i didn't owe them money and they where sorry.
    Dec 10th Came and the origanal women from USA collections Called me again. When i said i had contacted the company and they have no record of me and told me it was a scam she got very beligerant and Harrasing telling me i was a loser who refused to pay my bills. I should be ashamed of myself, I'm afraid to say i stooped to her level and started yelling and hung up on her. I again called United Readers Services talked to a customer service person was very nice looked up the number that USA collections was calling me on and again told me i had no debt with them. I asked the Women if it was true that once they sent a person to collection that they no longer keep any record of the person and she told me no absolutly not we know every one that owes us money. The Women that i spoke with Asked me to please report them to the better business bureau. To day I again heard from USA COLLECTIONS and when i told the man on the phone that i had spoke to a women at his company and that i spoke to a person from United Readers Services he proceeded to start yelling that i was a Liar repeatedly untill i hung up on him.

Save Ranger Dec 15, 2009

I have been getting phone calls from USA Collection Agency for about 3 weeks. They told me that I owe United Reader Services $1500 for unpaid magazine subscriptions from 2006. They told me they were willing to settle for $499. I told them that I could not pay because i was unemployed, I then asked if they could send me a bill or invoice and I will try to see if I could scrounge up the cash. They said I could only pay over the phone. I said no. They told me that the next thing I would be receiving in the mail would be a subpoena to appear in small claims court.

I hung up and looked up United Reader Services. I called the customer service [protected]). They told me they had no record of me or any of my home phone numbers. I told them about USA Collection Agency and they said they have gotten several other complaints about that company. They also said that they have no relationship with that company and that I should ignore those phone calls.

I have gone to ftccomplaintassistant.gov and filed a complaint against USA Collection Agency, unfortunately I did not get any of their info like address or phone number.

If you get a call from USA Collection Agency you should definitely file a complaint to the FTC and your State Attorney General. But first try to get their company info like address and phone number.

• Ot
    othername Dec 04, 2009

12-04-09: Just got my 2nd call this week. They also harrassed me about 3 years ago. I kept asking for supervisor's numbers, return call numbers, if I could tape our conversation because I have a bad mempry...hee hee - have some fun...

• Tc
    TCallahan Nov 04, 2009

I have had the same issues and have filed 2 complaints with the Federal Trade Commission. Make sure you file too so that we can get these people stopped. They are the worst scammers!
    www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov

• Jg
    JGalla Oct 28, 2009

I have the same issue, I thought I was getting free magezines wich I never got until AFTER they started sending me bills, I am a student with no job or money and when I tried to cancel the very VERY rude woman on the other line just made me listen to the recording of me agreeing to everything. It was before the 72 hour cancellation period but they still send me bills and call me. They are wicked rude. now they have sent me a letter saying they want 900 bucks (that I don't have) because of my "rogue account" I have cancelled my credit cards and really dont want them to sue me or anything because I can't afford it. Can they sue me for not paying. I did try to cancel and they refused. They won't go away...I'm about to change my phone number and declare that i'm dead just so they will go away!

• Mo
    morganna Aug 07, 2009

They called us and told us we owed for 4 magazines. We don't even get any magazines.
    the number they gave us to call back was [protected]. Then they gave us the address attached to our name and it wasn't the same as ours. When I told them I had read online that they regularly harrassed people I was going to report them for phone harrassment, they said maybe they had made a mistake.

• Re
    Rebecca Sue Aug 04, 2009

One real phone number for United Readers Services is [protected]. This number worked today but I suspect that these crooks have many more numbers and they try to stay hidden. I am fighting them now over fraudulent subscriptions and illegally taking money from my account without permission. They threatened to sue. I'm looking forward to it. Wish me luck.

• Ba
    Barbara Feb 21, 2009

I stupidly agreed last night to get "5free" magazines, if I bought 1 subscription. After thinking about it, I called the number they gave me, [protected] and usually everyone has 3 day rescinding period, so when I called, I used that info and spoke with a Ben Sarris and he said ok, I was canceled. I asked if I would be receiving any kind of notification of cancellation, and he said no, since it hadn't been processed yet. I am calling my credit card co., and making sure that no purchases have been added and also to alert them that under no circumstances to pay United Reader anything! I will wait and hope that no charges appear, and no further correspondence comes from them, except a cancellation notice. Wish me luck! I think I might need it.

Mike Feb 10, 2009

by the way, "youknowiloveit" posted the incorrect phone number. That is the phone number for a securities company and they have received countless calls from people thinking that they are calling to get a hold of United Readers Service. I suspect "youknowiloveit" is probably paid by URS to post on these boards...

Mike Feb 10, 2009

I just received a call from this particular company, and attempted to make it clear that I did not want their products. They offerred all kinds of free stuff, but I declined it. Am I going to get this kind of harassment just because someone sold them my name?

• Ni
    -NiNja- Feb 09, 2009

they got me with this scam, i was fighting in Baghdad, iraq for a year and came back and partied alot. they called me when i was lackin sleep/hungover and persuaded me to get these stupid magazines. i asked if i could cancel and she gave me a number 1800 3xx- TALK and it was some sex hotline lol. and i couldnt find the number until they sent a bill. and the rep was a major ###. and now i have a $135 dollar bill collection threats, people with blocked number call me and dont say anything. its so gay. im not paying these queers.

• Yo
    youknowiloveit Feb 02, 2009

united readers service is like most telemarketing companies with 1 difference they do verbal and written contracts. As a customer for years i know this much...sales persons can be pushy its their job. But every rep or collection persons i have talked to were informative and upon request can answer any questions reguarding an account. If you have no account with them they will let you know and always give a customer service number. Chances are you accepted a magazine deal over the phone and didnt listen to the recording and or discarded the conformation letter with cancelation on it. There are a few companies with simular names. Ask for proof. united readers service will provide you with the written or verbal contract if any. If not it's another company. Tell all telemarketers to put you on the do not call list. Dont believe me call United readers service at [protected] i recommend talking to stacie or brenda. They are the supervisors and are polite and professional. By the way i have had a few issues but i love magazines wouldnt go anywhere else.

sara Oct 07, 2008

I just got my 4 month call from United Readers Services about magazines "ordered" in March 2004. How come they use the same date and similar amounts? How do we stop these calls?

• Ri
    Richard May 19, 2008

Much the same as reported above; my wife got a call from someone claiming to represent United Reader Service about a month ago. The caller insisted we owed more than $700 for magazine subscriptions and said our credit rating would suffer if we did not pay. The caller was rude and threatening.

I actually emailed United Reader Service to confirm that they did not list me as having ever been a customer and did not have a record of any outstanding debt. The email I received from them said this is likely a scam. I also reported the caller to the Attorney General's Office in my state.

About 3 1/2 weeks later I received a call from 'Robert Johnson' stating that we owed more than $700 but they would settle for $499. I asked 'Robert' a lot of questions and he said he was calling from Masena, NY, but, oddly, he did not know the local zip code. 'Robert' said the only way to resolve the situation without my credit rating taking a hit was to agree to pay. I asked him to give me an address to send the money to, but, he insisted the only way to pay was for him to transfer me to their collection line where they would accept a credit card number. I finally agreed, just to see what would happen, and he refused to connect me; he said I didn't sound sincere about paying the bill (at least he got that part right).

He finally gave up on me and said he would have his supervisor call me back in 5 minutes; of course another call never came.

• B
    B May 14, 2008

Wow same phone call from James Comer! Gooogled United Readers Complaints and this website and thread was the very first entry!

"James Comer" called for my wife on 5-14-08 claiming to represent US Collections on behalf of United Readers. Said we owed $647.72 for magazines purchased in 2004. Claim number 912847. Looks like "James" or "David" has been busy. Of course we never bought any magazines from United Readers or anyone else in 2004. And yes he offered to settled the account for $499.95 (2 payments of $250 each). When my wife refused to give him any financial information he said the only alternative was for the matter to be sent to their legal department.

After seeing the other posts in this thread it seems obvious that this is a scam. I also plan on filling the proper complaints but it is probably difficult to find / track this type of person. I will contact my phone company to see if it's possible for them to trace the number he called from.

• Na
    Nathan May 14, 2008

Same story as above, but said his name was David Wilson from U.S. Collections, trying to collect from United Readers Service / United Reader Services. Said we owed $647 but was willing to settle for $499. How nice of them to do that, considering I don't havent received any magazine subscriptions since 2004. He was belligerent, implied that I was gay, called my brother a "f-ggot", threatened to go to court and that this would ruin my credit, that I would be blacklisted, etc. I told him I would gladly welcome the chance to go to court to resolve this, since I NEVER ORDERED ANY STUPID MAGAZINES AND DONT OWE THEM ANYTHING. What a huge scam!

I have contacted my state's consumer protection agency but will probably also be filing complaints with the FTC and FCC.

Mike May 13, 2008

We received a call from "David Wilkins" of United Reader Services. Just like the others, he stated that we owed $647.72 for a subscription we verbally agreed to in 2004. He stated that they would turn us over to collections if we didn't pay. When asked for his phone number, he stated that he could not give it out until after we made a payment. When asked what magazine we subscribed to, he said his agency didn't have that information. He was verbally abusive to my wife and I hope that somebody catches up with these ###s.

• Jh
    J Hunt May 09, 2008

I just received a call from James Comer at US Collections Agency stating that we owed United Reader Services $747.72-funny how the amounts are all similar. I was not given a contract number. He would not give me his phone number or the number of United Reader unless I paid him a fee, and then he would have someone get back to me. I have never ordered magazines from this company and I plan on fighting this. I saw we all have reason for filing a lawsuit against United. Let's attack them like they are attacking us.

Andy May 09, 2008

We just received the same call from Don Hanson from U.S. Collections about a 847.72 Debt from a magazine subscription. The case number was the same as the above (912847)

They did not have a social security number, but still threatened to place this on my wife's credit report. When I asked for a phone number, they gave me one.

It turned out to be for an Adult Line

Verizon traced the call, and we will be filing a police report

• Da
    David May 07, 2008

On May 7th a guy who identified himself as Donald Hansen called my home phone number several times. My spouse told him to call me after 7pm. I spoke with him at 8:45pm and he said he was calling from U.S. Collections in Messina, New York, about a magazine or book order that I had placed back in 2004 and then didn't pay for from a company called United Reader Services. He said I owed $647.72 on contract number 912847, which includes interest. When I asked exactly what I purchased, he said it was for a magazine subscription or for religious or adult literature.

When I asked for the phone number for his company he repeatedly told me that I would get that after I initiated payment.

Obviously this is a scam and I hope someone finds a way to contact these jerks.