TXUDouble Posted a Payment

Dear Sir or Ma'am

I am writing today to advise you about a recent experience with your company. I wish I could come out and say that my experience was great or even average. Sadly, that is not the case. This is a complaint about the way a situation was handled and how I, as your customer, am being handled.
The experience started about two weeks ago. I called in to your customer service line regarding the balance on my account. I wanted to see if it was possible to make an extension on the account. I talk to a gentleman who was nice and polite. He set up an extension for me in the amount of 188.02 to be paid on 9/18. He advised me that at the time my new bill would be due and that I would need to set up another extension at the time. I advised that wouldn't be a problem.
The trouble begin on 9/18 when I called in to make my payment per the arrangement. I originally tried to make the payment of a $189.00 on your website, www.txu.com. I called in to customer service to advise that I had made the payment and to set up an extension as advised by the gentleman I spoke with earlier. The woman that I spoke with was not only rude but I could not understand a word she said to me. After getting frustrated about not being able to communicate, I finally understood that the payment I made on the website never processed. I checked your website and realized that I never received a confirmation number. I explained that I made the payment but didn't receive a confirmation number. The women advised me that no payment was showing and if I wanted to keep my service from being interrupted I needed to make a payment with her. She informed me that since I didn't receive a confirmation number the payment didn't go through. I checked my bank and it didn't show the payment was pending. So in order to keep my service, I authorized a payment of $188.02 to be taken on the same debit card that I made the payment with on the website. After receiving the confirmation number for the payment I made on the phone, I asked about setting up a payment arrangement for the new balance. The lady placed me on hold and then came back and informed me that she was not able to set up a payment extension at that time and I needed to call back on Saturday, 9/19 to make that extension.
I called back on Saturday and while listening to the IVR, I realized that it said my balance with TXU was $6.02. I knew that was wrong because my balance with the new bill was $383.05. I hung up the phone and logged on to my account on TXU.com. My account showed that two payments had been applied to my account. The one for $188.02 that I made on the phone and the one for 189.00 that I tried to make on-line and was told wouldn't go through. I checked my bank and yes both payments did come out of my account. Since, both payments had been taken from my banking account, I was now overdrawn by $150.00 and had payments that were about to post to my account. I immediately called my bank to see if I could reverse the payment I made on-line. I was advised that since the money had already been drafted by TXU, I needed to call TXU and ask them to release it since it hadn't cleared yet. I called TXU and spoke with Flavia. I was advised by her that the only payment that was applied to the account was for $188.02. I tried to explain to her that both payments had been taken out of my account. She advised me that no only one payment was applied to the account. She stated that she could research the other payment but I would have to fax in copies of the cleared charges on my bank statement and if it was found that an additional payment was made to the account in error then a refund check could be issued. I asked to speak with a supervisor at the time and was promptly hung up on.
I called back immediately and received a rep by the name Julia ID 87261. I asked to speak with a supervisor and she connected me to Alex. I explained again the situation to Alex regarding both payments coming out of my account. He explained to me that he was only showing one payment in my system and wanted to know if I could tell what account the payment made on the internet for 189.00 was applied to. I advised that it was applied to my account. He again stated that he didn't see the payment. I explained that the payment was holding through my bank and that my on-line account showed both payments being made. Alex then asked me if I had a confirmation number for the payment that was made on the website. I explained again that it didn't give me a confirmation number. I advised that when making the payment, the screen just kept saying processing please wait. Alex explained to me that more then likely what happened was that the payment was trying to be processed through the website but for some reason it wasn't able to complete it. He stated that it placed a hold on the money in my checking account but wouldn't actually complete the process because there was no confirmation number. He stated that he was going to send an inquiry over to the department that handled the website and ask them to investigate the issue. He took my name, my call back number, and my email. He stated that it would take about 24 hours and someone would call me back. I checked my account on Monday and both payments were still pending.
This morning, Tuesday 9/22, I still hadn't received a call back. I checked my account and saw both payments did process and clear through my account. Having not received a call back, I called back into your customer service number and spoke with a Flora #8943. She advised me that there was only one payment on my account. The payment for $188.02. I explained to her that two payment had been made to this account and cleared my bank. She told me that only one payment had been made to the account and if another payment had been made then it would show implying that I was lying regarding the payment for $189.00. I asked if I only made one payment for 188.02 then why were two payments showing on my online account. She stated that she did not know. That was not her department and she couldn't tell me. However, all her systems only showed the one payment and there was no way another payment was made. I again asked why both showed on website and that both had been taken out of my account. She stated that if I wanted to speak with someone regarding the website then I would need to speak with that department. I asked to be transferred there.
I was then transferred to Cami. Cami advised me that two payments had been made to my account. One is the amount of $189.00 and one for $188.02. I thought great finally I was going to get some help with my issue. However, Cami informed me that the payment for $189.02 would not be refunded to my account because it was money owed on the account for the new bill. I explained that I understood I still had a balance on the account but that I had spoken with a gentlemen about two weeks prior to set up arrangements. I explained that I was suppose to make the payment on the 9/18 and then set up a new arrangement. Cami stated there were no arrangements on the account and therefore there was nothing she could do. I again asked to speak with a supervisor. I was transferred to Diane #80581.
I thought my experience up to this point couldn't get any worse. I was wrong. When Diane came on the line, she advised me that she could not help me. She stated that she did see both the payments were made on the same day with the same debit card. She first told me that there was no payment arrangement on the account for any place this month. When I questioned that because the other reps I spoke with had seen the extension, she stated that she saw there was a payment arrangement on the account for me to pay 188.02 on 9/18 but nothing after that. I explained that I did make the payment on 9/18 as she could see. I advised that at that time the rep I was speaking with was not able to set up a payment arrangement. I had to call back on Saturday. I advised that when I called back on Saturday to set up the payment arrangement I noticed both payments had been applied to my account and that is why I was speaking to her. Diane stated that there was nothing she could do because both payments had been made and a payment arrangement was not on the account. I admit at this time I was frustrated. I advised that no one other then her and Cami were seeing both payments. I asked why no one else could see the payments. Diane advised me that the reps and supervisor I had spoken with earlier just didn't look into the account because they had the same access she did and the payments were there. However, she couldn't help me because there wasn't a payment arrangement on the account. She stated that the ticket or inquiry from Saturday, 9/18 was open and I would have to wait for that to be resolved before anything could be done. I explained that I was advised that would take 24 hours. Diane advised that the supervisor who told me that lied. Inquiries take 5-7 business days. I explained that the inquiry was for the missing payment which she saw and couldn't we resolve the issue. Diane advised me that she didn't have the power to do that. The inquiry went to the mid department or mid section and they were the only ones who could do anything about my issue. She stated that the only thing she could do was submit another inquiry because she didn't have the authorization or ability to do anything else. She stated that they would call me when a resolution was received in about 5-7 business days. At this time, I disconnected the call because I had to go to work.
That bring us to now. As of right now, I have spoke to five reps and two supervisors. I have been told that the only one payment was processed to my account and then told that no both payments are being applied to my account. I have been advised that the reps I spoke with before lied to me and I have been accused of being a liar regarding the whole situation. I was told that the situation would be investigated. Only then be told, there was nothing that could be done because there wasn't a payment extension on the account even though I tried to set one up. I have been hung up on and shuffled to different departments only to be told they cant assist me. Out of all the people I have spoken with, Alex was the only one who showed any empathy and any ownership in trying to help me correct the problem.
I take partial responsibility for the double payment. I would normally have waited the 24 hours after trying to make the payment on-line to make sure it didn't clear my bank. However, because I was being advised that I had to make the payment right then to keep my services on I made the payment. Where is the accountability for your company? All I have been told is no. It is isn't our fault. It is handled by some other department. I have manager say under there breath it isn't their issue and how they cant believe this lady. I have worked in the Customer Service field for years as a manager. It doesn't take an experienced customer service rep to realize this is just flat out horrible customer service. While all this is going on, I have incurred $105.00 in overdraft fees with $35.00 being added each day. All I know is that I will receive some resolution in 5-7 business days. In the mean time, TXU gets to hold $189.00 of my money. Yes, it was applied to a balance on the account. However, I did my part to try and set up arrangements with your company to keep my service active and in good standing. I admit that I am not most stellar client but I was loyal. I have been with TXU since I moved to this location. I pay my bill. Yes, I have late fees but I do the best I can. I don't call in complaining about late fees or such. Except for a mix up at the start of my service, I haven't been disconnected or interrupted. I would like to think that I am the valued member you stated I was or that I deserve the excellent customer service your company prides itself on. However, I do not feel that way. I realize that all this is probably mute and by the time the issue receives a resolution, I will be making another payment to your company. However, I am the one who has to deal with the repercussions of trying to do what I thought was best for both of us. I appreciate your time.

Sincerely,

• Ni
    Nipper123 Jan 11, 2011

I had the misfortune of having the same exact situation happen to me. My bank showed the payment deducted twice from my account but TXU could not find the duplicate payment. After disconnecting me, they conveniently found my "second payment", but applied it to the disconnection fee charge. They are liars and thieves. Very corrupt and unaccountable !!!

• Gr
    greenhouse 797 Nov 07, 2010

If you are looking for accountability from TXU, don't hold your breath.
    I too experienced a double billing from TXU, the difference being, they combined two separate account totals and pulled that total from my bank account twice.
    I completely understand the frustration of talking to someone you cannot understand.
    It is only comparable to talking to someone that seems knowledgable, then finding out, as you did, that you were not lead in the right direction.
    I am locked into some contract until July...I thought I was talking to a rep that actully had a solution to the problem. Instead they just hooked me.
    I have dealt with TXU on three occasions now and I have come out the loser each time, with really no recourse.
    I am also have a problem with the overdraft charges I am stuck with, it was not in my budget!