TWX MagazineScam/Fraud

C

I purchased a used CD at a local FYE store and paid with my debit card. The clerk informed me that since I used my debit card I was entitled to 3 magazines for 3 months free. I told him no thanks, but he bugged the crap out of me saying they were free and what did I have to loose that I said ok. He gave me a form to pick the "free" magazines from and after I got out of the store I notice on the bottom of my CD recipt that the mags were free for the first 3 months and that you needed to cancell the subscription before the 3 months were up or else it would be charged to your card. I went back into the store and told the clerk to remove the subscriptions and he said he could not and that I would have to cancell it when I got my frist free magazine. I never got the free magazines but I sure got the charges. $24.50 each. There is a phone number on your bank statement but it is strictly automated and according to it they have no record of any account for me. I really would love to know how to get my money back but most important how to avoid them renewing again. This really makes me mad becuase I have yet to see any magazine. I do believes this falls under fraud. Needless to say I will never shop at FYE.

• Me
    Mellie61 Jun 03, 2016

I was checking the balance on my seldom used checking account to make sure I had enough in it to pay for an Ebay purchase, and for the 3rd time within a year, these people have charged me for renewal of magazine subscriptions that I did not renew. After having to call and go through the 15 minutes of recorded prompting, I finally pressed the "O" twice on my phoone number pad and got a person to talk to. (I read somewhere to try that to get out of many selections given from a phone prompt. I only had to state my situation and they said my money will be refunded, and I told them I want anything pertaining to my name and address removed from their computer. The money has always been given back to me, but as I said, I hardly use this checking account so I keep the balance pretty low. Then the TWX request for payment is deducted, putting me into an overdrawn situation. My bank must be used to this unscrupulous company, they always remove any charges incurred by these idiots. They have reported many times to the BBB, but I fail to see how they stay in business.

• Jg
    jg210 Feb 28, 2013

saw the charge "VISA - TWX*INSTYLE MAG SU $34.95" show up on my debit card. Same scam my wife bought something at Ulta and they jammed this subscription. I saw it and called my bank to get the phone number for the charging party - was given [protected]. I called the number and they quickly located the subscription and cancelled it, they assured me they would delete my acct info and refund the entire amount in the next 5 to 7 days ( we'll see how that works) hopefully they will follow through.

• Ac
    acrabtree0012 Jun 18, 2012

I have two charges that I didnt authorize to my knowledge! one for 58.50 and one for 10. They are supposed to be putting it back in my account by tomorrow!

• Er
    Erin N Aug 02, 2011

I also got scammed by the Magazine Service Center via ULTA. They got me for 2 renewals, so $60.00! I called magazine service center's customer service line at [protected] and was told that the agent's computer was down, but she promised she'd cancel and refund my money! I'll believe that when I see it! I plan to call them everyday until I get a satisfactory outcome. I also called to report MSC and ULTA to the Federal Trade Commission [protected]) and the BBB. I hope this doesn't happen to anyone else anymore!

Insult to injury is it's a magazine I have never and would never read! I don't give a crap about InStyle and what they're selling!

• Mi
    mindyRN33136 Jun 08, 2011

I don't think it's a scam except for the part of hitting your credit card automatically. The salesclerk at Ulta told me it would not happen. I spoke to customer service at the magazine and she was happy to cancel. Now I will wait and see how long it takes for the amount to be refunded.

• Co
    complaint unauth Feb 27, 2011

just found over 120.00 in charges by this company!!! three different transactions. how do they get this info?

Anita Goyhe Feb 12, 2011

Unauthorized charge to my account for $60+. How did they get my card number? This is fraud.

• Go
    Got scammed!! Feb 10, 2011

I got scammed to by Ulta/mag and I called and reported it to the Federal Trade Commission office [protected]) All of you guys need to call and report it! so they can do what they need to do to fix problem... They were really nice and the more of this they get reported it will be fixed!! I got all my money back as well. And I will be Filling with the BBB...

• Go
    Got scammed!! Feb 10, 2011

scammed

john30 Dec 30, 2010

I know exactly what you all have gone through they got me for almost 150 dollars finally a nice lady at time told me about this number [protected] and told me to just keep pressing zero in order to get through to a customer service agent. the lady was nice and kindly cancelled my account and all other aspects they did say i would get a refund but i have to wait 2 billing cycles to get it. Point is the account was cancelled. hopes this helps!

Ps make sure the customer service agent gives you a confirmation number that will allow you to verify that the account was cancelled.

• Me
    Meghan Smith Nov 03, 2010

Has anyone here either been successful with getting their money back or with suing? Thanks.

• Jm
    jms10 Sep 07, 2010

I, too, was scammed via ULTA by this disgrace of a magazine. Their sales and marketing department should not get away with such poor tactics and I am determined to take any legal action in my power to fight against their fraud and unauthorized charges.

• Er
    Ericazg Aug 04, 2010

I also had the same charge show up on my account through Ulta/TWX magazine. Besides being charged with no authorization, the other issue I am having is the way this came about to begin with. I went to make a purchase and the guy @ the register asked for my address & I unknowingly gave it to him. After giving him my information he stated I would be receiving a couple FREE magazines. He did not state to me that I would have to cancel. My dissatisfaction comes from the "Ulta guy" that gave me sketchy/false info. Also I might add that the supervisor from ULTA told me I was supposed to receive a brochure that should have been attached to my receipt acknowledging the need to cancel via post card that I never received. I just got off the phone with ULTA and they gave me (graciously) a website to CANCEL my subscription instyle.com/customerservice. From there i filled out my information as it appears on the magazine; there is a list on the side that says cancel my subscription. After I TWICE clicked "no: cancel immediately" a screen appeared saying that my 26.97 would be refunded with in 10-12 weeks! ACK! So hopefully this works and I will try to update the outcome.

• Je
    Jen512 Jun 04, 2010

Well ladies the same thing happened to me as well! I made a purchase at ULTA a few months ago and found a charge for $24.95 on my bank statement for a magazine subscription that I never wanted. I couldn't even tell you what may have been said while at the store that could have led to this and of course that is what is supposed to happen! You're supposed to forget you made any sort of agreement and then several months pass by and hopefully you aren't as careful about checking your charges and the money slips out of your account unnoticed. What I did to try and rectify that was to call InStyle's customer service (which of course I got some chick from India!) at [protected] and I gave her my information and told her I wanted my money back. She told me the subscription was cancelled and that I should be getting a refund in the next month or two. We'll see how that goes. I just find it funny that after requesting to cancel and demanding that I get my money back, the representative then proceeded to ask me which of another set of magazines and books I would like for only $9.99. Really?! Come on.

• Le
    leslyhiatt Apr 06, 2010

@MonicaABCD Thank you for the number for the instyle mag, apparently it was the "ulta preferred customer" thing, i just called it and it was automated but i was able to cancel my subscription and they told me that i would have a refund of 24.50 in about 3 weeks, so we'll see!

• Re
    ReRe20 Mar 31, 2010

You just took a free sample period right!!! Read the terms and conditions

• Mo
    MonicaABCD Jan 17, 2010

I was charged $26.70 from something called CHECKCARD 0101 TWX*INSTYLE MAG/ULTA [protected] NY and I believe I was scammed the same way as a a few of you from Ulta who claimed I would get a FREE magazine. But anyways, I called my local Ulta store and registered a complaint but they said I would have to call the InStyle mag instead and gave me a phone number of >>>>> [protected] <<<<< so hopefully this also helps a few of you who are in a similar predicament.I called them today but its 6:30 PM on a Sunday so obviously they're closed. But I will definitely be giving them an ear full on Monday. I'll keep you guys updated with whether or not this worked!

• Al
    Allie_Cro_Bomer Jan 04, 2010

Does anyone have the phone number where you can complain about this either to Ulta or whichever company is charging the magazine to my CC?

• Li
    Lissette Fumero Nov 02, 2009

I was charges $38.00 in my account and i never order this magazines at all...

• Am
    amberstuffs Aug 24, 2009

About four years ago, I purchased some perfume at ULTA. I received a free bag, and then I *believe* they offered me a free subscription, or a couple free issues of Instyle, I forget. What a crap magazine, by the way! It's all ads! I then cancelled the credit card that I used to make the transaction, for other reasons, about last year. Anyway, on 8-19-09, I noticed a $29.95 charge from Visa Check Debit TWX*INSTYLE MAGTWX*INSTYL [protected] CARD: 5115336, on my frost bank account. The card number listed is the CANCELLED card. How were they able to charge me when the card was cancelled? I went back to a year ago, in my bank statements and found that they had also charge me $29.95 on 8-8-08. I called the 800 number listed for Instyle and asked them to cancel my subscription and reimburse my money. The representative then replied that it had already been cancelled, on the 22nd. Since today is the 24th, I asked "How is it possible that my subscription was cancelled on a SATURDAY, when I didn't even cancel it?" She reiterated that it had been cancelled and that I'd be reimbursed within five days. So, we'll see...

• Mc
    mclyn82 Aug 10, 2009

We found a $29.95 charge to our credit card for the INSTYLE MAGAZINE, something we had never ordered. When I telephoned the magazine they asked if we had ever purchased something at ULTRA STORE. Yes, we had, but we had never asked for free magazines or a magazine order. IT'S A SCAM, TRUE AND CLEAR. I threatened to contest the charge through my credit card company and at that point the magazine agreed to reimburse the money. We are now waiting to see that the credit shows up on our card account.

• To
    torikeen Jul 07, 2009

Ulta offered me three free issues of Instyle, then gave Instyle my credit card # and I got charged several months later for a YEAR'S subscription to Instyle. I am so not happy.

• Bt
    btru2yrslf Mar 09, 2009

Same thing with me! I made a purchase from Ulta and was asked if I would like to receive 3 free issues of Instyle Magazine...Of Course, in a hurry to go pick up the kids from school, I think why not? Well, I'm here to tell you why not! I was SHOCKED with the amount of stores that are involved with this crap! I have had (3)three charges of $40 on my AmEx and am in the process of having it reversed! So now my free issues have cost me $120 so far. I have filed disputes with AmEx in the past and believe it or not I lost because it was past a statute of time alloted to fight charges! Just another FYI for anyone interested because I'm sure many of you, like me use your AmEx for the ability to fight charges if you are not satisfied with something you purchased.
    If anyone has any tips on how to have the charges reversed with TWX please PLEASE let me know! Email me - [email protected] IF SOMEONE has been able to get these charges reversed tell me what you did to have them reversed!!! Thanks a lot for posting your experiences on here to help me and MANY others!!! For those of you who respond to me Thank you in advance for any help! T.

• Re
    rene walton Nov 11, 2008

i purchased things from Ulta cosmetics a few months ago and they said that i was a preferred customer and as one i was intitled to 1 FREE ISSUE of INSTYLE magazine, I say whatever...Well now 4-5 months later im being charged for this 23.88...WTF...I had no idea they were useing my credit card number for this...so yeah its called FRAUD...AND YEAH IF NEED BE I WWILL TAKE LEGAL ACTION...

• Tw
    twx sucks Oct 20, 2008

The same thing happened to me except that i canceled all my magazine subscriptions and yet they still charged me a random fee of 49.00 dollars cuasing me to overdraft so i will be in the hole about 150 dollars. thanks to these ### holes. this is a fruad and a scam, also bank of america wont even help. they also are a bunch of ### heads.

• Ci
    cindi Aug 31, 2008

Wendy,
    I know what you're going through, because I just went through it. I was given the same line of bull that FYE gave you. I ended up getting a $10.00 charge for the TWX magazine.I thought that the subscription for 3 months was free as well. Obviously not. I got charged yesterday morning at 5:30 am. I got the free subscription on June 24th. It hasn't even been 3 months yet. Now that's not fair. I will be suing FYE and TWX for fraudulance.

• To
    TONY MOLENAAR Jul 23, 2008

IT'S 07/23/08 I'VE JUST BEEN SCAMMED BY FYE AND TWX MAGAZINE. I HAVE ALREADY STARTED A SEARCH FOR A LAWYER SO I CAN SUE FYE. IF YOU HAVE BEEN SCAMMED BY THE FREE MAGAZINE TECHNIQUE AT FYE AND DON'T WANT TO TAKE IT LAYING DOWN, DON'T DON'T DO NOT TAKE IT LAYING DOWN. BE AN AMERICAN BE A REAL AMERICAN LIKE JOHN ADAMS AND LET'S FIGHT BACK SO WE CAN SEND A MESSAGE TO THESE ### CORPORATIONS WHO BELIEVE THEY CAN BULLY US AROUND LIKE SHEEPS.

BE AN AMERICAN LION JUST LIKE TEDDY ROOSEVELT

I'M GOING TO MAKE THIS PUBLIC AND I'M GOING TO PROTECT MY LEGAL RIGHTS IN THIS BEUTIFUL COUNTRY CALLED THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA.

HE WHO GIVES UP FREEDOM FOR SECURITY, DOESN'T DESERVE BOTH FREEDOM OR SECURITY.
    BENJAMIN FRANKLIN.

YOU CAN REACH ME AT [protected]

AMERICA WAAAAAKKKKKEEEEEEE UUUUUPPPPPP YOUR ARE BEING RAPED!!!

• We
    Wendy Jun 12, 2008

I bought two GBA games for my son at FYE and was told that becasue i was making a purchase today I was getting two free magazines of my choice and shown a brouchure. At first I hesitated and then picked one magazine because none of them really interested me. I was then asked for my mailing address and after my game purchase was wrung up he gave me my total and I paid with my credit card. I signed the reciept and he told me that I would recieve the magazine in the mail. He led me to believe I was getting it today when he made his original offer when I stepped up to the counter. I said okay and then he gave me another, my second, magazine of his choosing, because I never picked a second magazine.

First of all I was told the magazines were free. When I got home I looked at the reciept and I was charged a penny, ONE cent for this supposedly free magazine and then the fine print, reads;

FOR 2 MONTHS FREE WITH AUTOMATIC RENEWAL. i AUTHORIZE TWEC TO SEND MY CREDIT / DEBIT CARD TO ITS VENDOR TO CHARGE MY CARD FOR THE INTIAL AND RENEWAL MAGAZINE TERMS. REFER TO BROUCHURE FOR CANCELLATION POLICY.

So I did and it tells me if I would like to cancel I need to make a phone call. So I did and I got the usual automated disembodied voice. I made my purchases on 6-10-08, when I choose the cancel subscription option I was asked for my zip code and my last name and then it announced that my subscription was cancelled as of Jan 1, 2008. I'm still not convinced this has worked.

I feel ripped off to say the least and will not ever shop at FYE or any of the stores that fall under the TWEC umbrella again. I Googled TWEC to find other stores.

I have been doing more and more of my shopping online and this experience has just validated my distrust of sales people and preference for convenience of shopping at home. I'm going back to shopping online.

It has to be illegal to offer a free magazine and charge a penny for it, or any amountat all. I did talk to one of the managers of the store on the phone and was told that they had to charge something because the register wouldn't take a zero amount and they had to scan the magazine as it is part of their inventory. I was asked to return to the store to be given my penny back. I of course pointed out how idiotic this was since gas is $4 a gallon it would cost me more to make another round trip to the store then I would be getting back from them. Stupid, Stupid, Stupid!!!

Note: had I paid with cash I would have been told of the offer of a free trial magazine with subscription and given the information to order it on my own. But because I used a credit card, when I agreed to a free magazine and signed for my purchase that was when they got me.

Shame on you Ryan of FYE, it's bad form for a cashier to lie and scam customers. Without customers you have no job and you will never get return business from me agian!