Menu
Los Angeles Times Customer Service Phone, Email, Contacts

Los Angeles Times
reviews and complaints

www.latimes.com

Learn how the rating is calculated

3.3 29 Reviews

How responsive is Los Angeles Times's customer service?

16 Resolved
0 Unresolved
Wow! Absolutely amazing! 🤩
Los Angeles Times got a perfect 100 out of 100 rating, so you can count on their great service for sure. They've effectively resolved all customer complaints on ComplaintsBoard.com and keep in touch with customers, making sure everything goes well. We're impressed by their dedication to customer satisfaction and have nothing else to say 👏
Verified
The authenticity of the customer service contact information for Los Angeles Times has been meticulously verified by representatives from ComplaintsBoard using our proprietary verification system.
Claim Your Business
Take control of your profile: address complaints and engage with reviews
Write a review File a complaint

Los Angeles Times reviews and complaints 29

Filter reviews by rating
1 review
12 reviews
Sort by:

Newest Los Angeles Times reviews and complaints

A
Los Angeles Times replied to this review.

Los Angeles Times They make it absolutely impossible to try and cancel subscriptions

They make it absolutely impossible to try and cancel subscriptions. Do not give them your money. They are scam artists. They are saying I can't cancel my subscription until February, saying I'm not eligible to cancel yet. Was left on hold. DO NOT GIVE THEM YOUR MONEY!

O
O
O. Herman
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Their customer service is non existent. The Times was double billing my credit card so I had to report it as fraudulent to get it taken care of. I still owed $49, which I paid. My paper was cut off. At their request, I sent proof of payment from the bank, twice. They started the paper for a few days, then cut it off again, due to nonpayment. They asked me to send the info again that I already sent two times. I wrote a letter to the editor, then got a call that they would "escalate" the "investigation" and started the paper for three weeks, pending. I got a paper a couple days, then cut off. When you call, you get a call center in the Phillipenes and talk to people who can barely speak English. They repeat the same thing, i.e., that I owe $49 and can I send proof of payment again. You read a lot about the hand wringing about the decline of print media. With this low level of service, I can only imagine how incompetent the rest of the operation is.

R. Gutmann
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I've been a subscriber for approximately 40-50 years to the LA Times, and it has changed in innumerable ways over that time. One thing that has not changed in the last 5 or 10 years is the complete lack of transparency in the billing process. The basic billing requres an automatic payment from a bank account or credit card for the billing period, which fluctuates in length at the will of the paper, by adding "premium issues" into the mix, which are generally unwanted by subscribers, consisting of some seasonal topics (think "Holiday Gift Guide", mainly an advertorial section of no use whatsoever, " Making Hollywood History", God knows what that's all about, and others. Each of which adds a charge of "up to $4.49" to your account, reducing the length of your subscription accordingly, whatever that is going to be. I get a paper statement when it's too late to affect the next billing, and a postcard that announces what amount will be charged to your account within the next week or so. The process is totally opaque to the customer, confusing, and generally not understandable, making it impossible to predict what you will be paying for.

As MANY others have mentioned in Complaintsboard.com reviews, the customer is "serviced" by someone in the Philippines that may or may not have English language skills needed to effectively communicate, and a request to connect to a USA-based representative is not allowed. Calling to the LA Times California-based number connects one to the offshore call center as well.

Generally, I need to call to clarify just what I'm being billed for, what the time period will be and why it differs from what I thought I was to be paying (remember the "Premium Editions"?) and what the net per-week cost will be when charges and credits are applied. By contrast, the main competitor in our area is the Orange County Register, which simply states the price per month, week or year in simple terms, no surcharges, and a detailed monthly or annual statement.

If you want a trip to ancient Byzantium, you might consider an LA Times subscription for a peek into what the ancient empire was like to live in.

Why can't the Times redesign, simplify and put transparent, rational, understandable pricing and subscription plans into place that won't frustrate and confuse their customers? The current arrangement is unacceptable and obsolete at its best.

Now it's time for my bimonthly call to the Philippines to untangle the current billing notice on today's postcard...surely that will make my day.

K. Bauch
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

The Los Angeles Times website states (based on my zip code): "Every Day Print & Unlimited Digital $7 a week; billed every 8 weeks. Cancel anytime." I get charged an effective rate (adding up ten months of bills and dividing by the number of weeks) of $18.34 a week. I called the L.A. Times and was told my rate is $19.99 a week (reflected in the latest statement, thus the lower average rate over the last ten months). I asked why the website claims $7 a week and was told that's an introductory rate. It doesn't say that's an introductory rate. I asked where on the website the real rates are shown, and was told they are not, that I have to look at my bill for what I'm actually charged. I was also told increases in rates are "disclosed" in the amount of the bill, which the subscriber has to compare to the prior bill to see that there's been an increase. This is beyond misleading. It's shameful and it's dishonest. For a newspaper that claims to sell accurate reporting to fail to disclose what it actually charges, and to show a rate without disclosing it's an introductory rate, speaks dreadfully badly of that newspaper and its publisher and owner. Perhaps the representative with whom I spoke was mistaken. Perhaps the L.A. Times does disclose its actual charges somewhere on its website, but its own representative thinks not, and I can't find it. I would cancel my subscription except that my wife is not willing to let the print subscription go, and I'm not stupid. But I hold the L.A. Times in contempt for its dishonest business practices, and don't mind telling the world about it. Maybe the L.A. Times will cancel my subscription, and I can tell my wife it wasn't me.

Los Angeles Times The Los Angeles times is shameful

The Los Angeles times is shameful. Their billing is totally irregular. Their autopsy doesn't work and you never know when you will be charged if it did. I have not been credited for at least a dozen missed papers. I wish to cancel. No responses to emails and I don't have 3 hours to wait on hold.

Read full review of Los Angeles Times and 2 comments

2 comments
D
D
D. Dooley
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

It's very difficult to cancel a subscription once you start it, so if you want to subscribe to this paper, be forewarned. It took me several calls. The tech support is very difficult to reach and they have phone call support only, no chat service. For a person such as myself who is hearing impaired, this is very difficult. I'm pretty sure this is not ADA compliant.

N
N
N. Mueller
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Signed up for 8 week digital subscription just to read 1 article behind paywall. Without any confirmation, I was charged $16.99 after 8 weeks as an 'autorenewal'. I called and spoke to an extraordinarily unhelpful service rep for refund. They refused and kept robotically stating that it was all in the 'terms and conditions'. I let them know that I can just get this refunded through my credit card company and they could save face by refunding me now..nope.

A
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times It's very difficult to cancel a subscription once you start it, so if you want to subscribe to this paper, be forewarned

Read full review of Los Angeles Times and 2 comments
2 comments
M. O'Keefe
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I don't understand why LA Times can not change my subscription without canceling my account and opening a new one. I tried to change my subscription from digital + Sunday delivery to just digital. I have been having problems with the Sunday delivery, and to be honest the Sunday paper is no different than the other days anymore. I was told there is no other option but cancelling and starting new, and after subcribing for over 20 years they seemed happy to see me go. It might seem like a small thing but I pay all bills electronically through my bank's auto pay. New account means I have to go in and set that up again. Not a big deal but totally unneccessary and bad customer service.

R. Macejkovic
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have a digital subscription and for the most part have been happy. However, for the past five days, I have not received digital delivery of my paper. While I can log in and read the paper that way, there are some features of the delivered paper that I miss. I have not been able to resolve the problem despite repeated emails, and now my emails are being kicked back.

Is Los Angeles Times legit?

Our verdict: Los Angeles Times has achieved a rare feat of perfection in legitimacy, as per the rigorous analysis conducted by Complaints Board. This achievement underscores Los Angeles Times's position as a benchmark of trust and quality within its industry. Users and clients of Los Angeles Times can engage with its offerings, confident in the knowledge that they are dealing with a top-tier, fully legitimized company.

Los Angeles Times earns 100% level of Trustworthiness

Perfect Trust Endorsement: Los Angeles Times achives 100% ligitmacy per Complaints Board. Highly recommended, yet always stay vigilant.

We found clear and detailed contact information for Los Angeles Times. The company provides a physical address, phone number, and 2 emails, as well as 4 social media accounts. This demonstrates a commitment to customer service and transparency, which is a positive sign for building trust with customers.

Los Angeles Times resolved 100% of 16 negative reviews, its exceptional achievement and a clear indication of the company's unwavering commitment to customer satisfaction. It would suggest that the company has invested heavily in customer service resources, training, and infrastructure, as well as developed an effective complaint resolution process that prioritizes customer concerns.

Los Angeles Times has received positive review on our site. This is a good sign and indicates a safe and reliable experience for customers who choose to work with the company.

A long registered date for latimes.com can be seen as a positive aspect for Los Angeles Times as it indicates a commitment to maintaining the website and its domain name for a long period of time. It also suggests that the company is organized and has taken steps to secure its online presence.

The age of Los Angeles Times's domain suggests that they have had sufficient time to establish a reputation as a reliable source of information and services. This can provide reassurance to potential customers seeking quality products or services.

Latimes.com has a valid SSL certificate, which indicates that the website is secure and trustworthy. Look for the padlock icon in the browser and the "https" prefix in the URL to confirm that the website is using SSL.

Latimes.com has been deemed safe to visit, as it is protected by a cloud-based cybersecurity solution that uses the Domain Name System (DNS) to help protect networks from online threats.

Several positive reviews for Los Angeles Times have been found on various review sites. While this may be a good sign, it is important to approach these reviews with caution and consider the possibility of fake or biased reviews.

We looked up Los Angeles Times and found that the website is receiving a high amount of traffic. This could be a sign of a popular and trustworthy website, but it is still important to exercise caution and verify the legitimacy of the site before sharing any personal or financial information

Latimes.com regularly updates its policies to reflect changes in laws, regulations. These policies are easy to find and understand, and they are written in plain language that is accessible to all customers. This helps customers understand what they are agreeing to and what to expect from Los Angeles Times.

However ComplaintsBoard has detected that:

• Los Angeles Times protects their ownership data, a common and legal practice. However, from our perspective, this lack of transparency can impede trust and accountability, which are essential for establishing a credible and respected business entity.
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times I have a digital subscription and for the most part have been happy

Read full review of Los Angeles Times and 1 comment
1 comment
W. Torphy
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

They are raising our subscription rate *in the middle of our subscription*, and then trying to explain it away by calling it a "premium" rate? Like somehow, giving it a vague, ridiculous name somehow makes a made-up charge in the MIDDLE of a subscription better? What kind of company does that? I used to love the L.A. Times. It's too bad their customer service turns loyal customers away.

Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times They are raising our subscription rate *in the middle of our subscription*, and then trying to explain it away by calling it a "premium" rate?

Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times Signed up for 8 week digital subscription just to read 1 article behind paywall

Los Angeles Times replied to this review.

Los Angeles Times after many failed attempts to pay my la times bill, i finally gave up

after many failed attempts to pay my la times bill, i finally gave up. their website didn't work/ we have always paid our subscription through our bank, but because the times website wasn't working, i couldn't get the amount due. sure enough, they stopped our paper! their customer appreciation needs big help. finally paid our bill on the phone, but shouldn't have to CALL THEM to give them money. they need to fix all of their problems or we will change to the orange county register!

Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times I don't understand why LA Times can not change my subscription without canceling my account and opening a new one

Los Angeles Times Their customer service is non existent

C

Los Angeles Times I signed up some time back for an LA TIMES subscription

I signed up some time back for an LA TIMES subscription. I gave a credit card. In January , when I asked my subscription to be canceled, I learned that my credit card did not work since October , and that LA TIMES had simply begun to rack up a bill for me at whatever rate the wanted to use, WITHOUT NOTIFYING ME. Their subscription office had a billing address from the credit card that was replaced, but they never sent an invitation to resubscribe with a different credit card. They had my email, which they STILL SEND THE DAILY PAPER LINK, but never a note from the subscription office about this problem. I called again today to ask that the newspaper not be sent to my inbox, but they said I needed to pay all the months this unwanted newspaper was sent without my agreement to have a subscription paid for by other means. This is an unprofessional business practice, and I do not owe them this money since they are the ones using me, not serving me. Although no raised voices, name calling or bad language was used, the customer services rep hung up on me when I tried to express the opinion that it was not an appropriate business practice to do as LA TIMES was doing.

Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times The Los Angeles Times website states (based on my zip code): "Every Day Print & Unlimited Digital $7 a week; billed every 8 weeks

V

Los Angeles Times Absolutely horrendous customer service

Absolutely horrendous customer service. I work for a TV show and our research team has an LA Times subscription. We received no notice that our subscription was up and that our card was going to be charged for the renewal. They didn't have our current season card on file so they somehow force charged an old, inactive card. I called customer service and asked that they refund the inactive card entirely and instead please charge our current, active card for the full amount. They charged the new card as well, but then sent a check for a PARTIAL refund of the inactive card charge. I was not told the refund would be issued this way. We were not able to deposit the check because it was made out to an individual that no longer works here. I called customer service back and asked if they could reissue the check, but instead make it out to our production company. They said they would, when the 2nd check arrived it was still made out to the individual that no longer works here. Ridiculous. I then quit trying to contact their customer service department who is clearly working from another country and has no idea what is going on or how to help me. I then called their line and just chose a random dept to be transferred to instead out of desperation hoping that someone could point me in the right direction of help. Someone from the sale dept gave me two email addresses to try for help. Eventually we were able to get someone to answer our emails and they said our card would be refunded with only a PARTIAL REFUND in 7-10 business days. After that amount of time we still received no refund and reached back out, they told us to wait an ADDITIONAL 7-14 business days for the refund to hit our account. After that amount of time passed *** well we STILL had no refund! We reached back out, they told us to wait 35 DAYS for the refund to hit! An outrageous amount of time on top of the other several days that had already passed *** they initially told us we'd receive our refund. This issue has now been going on for SEVERAL MONTHS. The 35th day is tomorrow and I don't anticipate we'll have a refund. Outrageous way for a major publication to do business and to handle customer service. I'll be urging our research team to stop using The LA Times in the future to avoid this happening ever again.

V
Verified customer This review was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Los Angeles Times I've been a subscriber for approximately 40-50 years to the LA Times, and it has changed in innumerable ways over that time

Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times I am a NJ resident and did not order for me or anyone else in CA

I am a NJ resident and did not order for me or anyone else in CA. Monthly I am getting hit with subscription fees for something I don't have or want. Back on 11/29 I was hit with a $ 10 charge from LA Times. I notified my cc and they issued me a new card. Again on 2/5 I was hit by LA Times, but now for $ 16. Again I reached out to my cc and they issued me another new card. Now again for 3/5 I am being charged again for $ 16. I do not know anyone in CA & do not plan to travel there. Also I am not someone who even reads the local news. In reality I am not sure where this business obtained my information from. Where this "paper" is even being delivered? The fact that I keep getting new cc's and the company is still charging me is odd. Please help as I am concerned to contact them as I would not know what info to give them. I don't have subscription info as I never signed up for it. No paperwork was sent to my home or email. This is causing stress as I have to keep working with my bank & fraud dept. Yet I am still getting charged for something I have no interest in.

Read full review of Los Angeles Times and 4 comments

4 comments
T. Yundt
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On October 28th, I signed up for a special - Digital Only: Every Day for 26 weeks for $1.00, which I paid online the same day. On May 20th I noticed they had charged my card $16.00 got a new subscription that I never ordered. I just wanted the special and that was it. I did not authorize this charge and never saved my credit card information on their website. I've been trying to cancel but they just say that all subscriptions are continous and will automaticaly renew unless I contact them by phone, which is useless. I should NOT have to call them to cancel. I signed up for special deal, that was not renewable!

K. Lubowitz
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have sent 5 reminder emails to the customer service department regarding my subscription to the paper. Unfortunately, the apartment building to which I am moving does not deliver the paper to the tenant's door but leaves it in the lobby for anyone to take. I asked the Times to cancel the remainder of my subscription and instead give what is left to my father who is also a Times subscriber. MY subscription ends June 30 while HIS ends in October. I requested the Times give what remains on MY subscription and give it to my dad. I have not received the courtesy of a response. Thank you for your kind assistance.

L. Swaniawski
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Received email from LA Times on 04/18/22 stating that I had been charged "$6.53 for service through 06/05/22." On 04/24 I requested that there be no renewal of this subscription; however, delivery was immediately canceled and I did not receive refund or rebate for final, paid-for issues. After repeated calls to "customer service", I was hung up on (by ***) when trying to sort this out. On a fourth call someone told me there are no refunds and that the $6.53 was for service through 04/16 even though they took the money on 18th and said it was good thru 06/05. Granted, a trivial sum is involved but a larger principle begs for a justified resolution, i.e., refund or my six or so Sunday papers. BTW, how does Times rate an A+ from Complaintsboard.com when it lists so many complaints related to its billing practices?

T. Hettinger
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have been a loyal subscriber to LA times for 50 years, even though they have charged me two or three times the rate a new subscriber receives. In April 2022 I signed up for autopay at my current rate and was suddenly charged twice--121.97 and 321.33 with a third charge of 325.75 on June 6. I received no updated billing statements (there is nothing indicating change of price or monies paid via my online account) and when I called to inquire what these charges were I was told LA Times has the right to change their prices at any time and it was non refundable and I was hung up on! I did not consent to these charges!

Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times For at least two months we have been contacting the Los Angeles Times customer service number for a resolution to our inconsistent delivery

For at least two months we have been contacting the Los Angeles Times customer service number for a resolution to our inconsistent delivery issues. We will have a non-delivery of our newspaper on average 1-2 times per week. We have called 1 (213) *** for assistance at least 10 times. Each time we request a re-delivery of our paper but a paper does not get delivered. We have been told on more than one phone call that an "escalation" on our account has been requested and a "service check on our route" will be done but neither of these things have resolved our issues. We were also told through these phone calls that a customer service supervisor and a supervisor from the distribution center will call but we have received no such calls. On my most recent phone call I was on hold for 35 minutes when the representative disconnected the phone call with absolutely no resolution. We value the LA Times as a source of news and entertainment and we simply want our paper to be delivered each morning consistently. Our attempts to resolve this issue through the customer service phone number have resulted in NO improvement with our issues.

M. Kerluke
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have subscribed daily to the LA Times for 12 years. As of 5 months ago, the charge for my LAT newspaper has changed exponentially. The average cost has jumped to $166.38 (Feb 15th 2022) to $200 charged today (April 22, 2022). I am unable to get in touch with anyone at the LATimes. I called the phone number for the Times and spoke with a man (most likely from another country) who kept trying to give me a "good deal" on the paper. I explained to him that I don't want a "good deal" I want a reasonably priced paper that doesn't jump in price without warning. I would greatly appreciate any assistance in getting a phone number to the LATimes so that I could get more info on their billing. And/or a phone number I could call to cancel my subscription to the LAT. I hate to lose the LA Times, but just under $*** for a year of the paper is too high. Thank you, *** XXX-XXX-XXXX *** XXXXX

J. Runolfsson
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have had a subscription with the LA Times since approximately January . In Dec 2020 the cost was $25.96, by June it was $35.52, by October it was $44, and now this April 2022 it increased to $67.96. That is approximately a 123% price increase in less than two years. LAT does not provide any notice of the price increase and does not provide any opportunity to cancel or modify the subscription before my credit card is charged the increased price. For each increase no notice is provide. This is an ongoing practice. Then LAT charges my card the increased price without my authorization. I find out about the increase by reviewing my credit card bill. I happen to have time today to address this issue. I believe it violates the law.

M. Hammes
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I have a Saturday and Sunday newspaper subscription. Almost every Saturday i do not receive the paper. Or the carrier delivers it the day after only after i have to call and complain every single Saturday. This has been an ongoing issue. I have to call every Saturday regarding missing paper, sent emails, did customer chats - all with no resolution. Just a complete waste of time. The carrier should be fired or LA Times should not offer paid subscriptions with non-delivery or delivery at the carrier's leisure. I am paying for a service and LA times is not fully performing nor do they do anything to resolve the issue.

Los Angeles Times I had a subscription with the *

I had a subscription with the . *** Times for approximately 2 years, I ended the service in December via the phone. Account number. XXXXXXXXXXX, Sunday edition of the *** Times I spoke with Customer Service\ Subscription Service in December , I expressed desire to end the newspaper service. The *** Rep. inquired as to why and so forth, she was very nice, and at the end of conversation everything seemed okay. Since Devember the 12th or so I've only had maybe 2 or. Sundays without a delivery. I called Subscription Service twice to complain about their contiuance of paper delivery. They generally respond by saying, "oh, I'm so sorry *** 9 will contact them and let them know, or...'I will contact the appropriate party. The response is always the same, "I m sorry", yet, I'm still getting the paper. The last time I spoke with a Represetative, I made it clear I was not going to pay for the service. What irtitates me the most, they do not give a solution or at least relate their (the papet's action) to a promotion. It seems very gimmicky and unprofessional. Years ago, I had a subscription with the same paperand problems with it.

B. Kuhic
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Someone started a print subscription under my EMAIL address. I asked for that email and phone number to be taken off my account as well as credit card information deleted. They keep telling me they're going to transfer the subscription to my address which is NOT what I asked for. They have the FRAUDULENT home address as the primary and mine as the alternative. Even after calling twice minimum of 2 hours. They don't care about fraudulent activity. They didn't cancel the subscription they're letting it go until the day it was paid.

B. Murphy

Date of transaction: 4/2/2022 A teen came to my house saying that they were going around signing up people for LA times in order to fundraise for a scholarship. They had an official log-in from LA times and had a CMI-LAT sales id that they used to log in and register my information. There is no scholarship and the LA times is knowingly having teens go around scamming people into subscribing to their newspaper. There is no way to unsubscribe on their website; you need to call them which is also an issue. I am posting this as I want to cancel my subscription, get a refund, and make sure my information is scrubbed from their systems. I definitely do not want to be secretly charged again like other reviews have mentioned. Let this also be a warning to anyone who wants to subscribe to LA times.

J. Bogisich
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Nov. 2021, I ordered a 2 weeks free trial, with payment through apple on my iphone. I cancelled 2 wks free trial before the end, in order to cancel any further subscription orders and charges. I was charged $17.63 Dec 2021, I again cancelled on my iphone. I was charged $17.63 Jan 2022, again I cancelled. I was charged $17.63 March 3 2022. Again, I cancelled. I was charged $17.63 April 2. 2022, again I cancelled. That's 4 times! Plus I have written LA Times 6 times, with no response. I'm a student, this is beyond rude. It is criminal, and causes a hardship for me. How do I get their attention, and my money back? All of it, 4 X $17.63 Help?

G
Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times On Oct 2, 2021 I was charged $6.00 for Sunday delivery of LA Times newspaper and I waited for a few weeks to begin receiving the paper

On Oct 2, 2021 I was charged $6.00 for Sunday delivery of LA Times newspaper and I waited for a few weeks to begin receiving the paper. I eventually called customer Service to inquire about my subscription. I was told they would credit my account for missed papers and that week would be redelivered; however that didn't happen. Week after week I called and speak to someone who has a *** and its very difficult to understand what she is saying, from what I gather she is saying there is no delivery people available. I asked her to cancel my subscription since they are unable to provide a service in which they contacted me about signing up for via USPS. Her response is they are not able to do that and I will still have to pay for the duration of my "term". It is not the amount of money, since it is so little, that bothers me it is the fact that they, as a business, reach out to potential customers, set up a plan, take our money then do not provide the service in which they sold. Lack of customer service skills, lack of service and lack of integrity has caused me to reach out to you. I would like to know they have been "scolded" for their unfair practice and if my complaint helps them to become a better business then it was worth my time.

Read full review of Los Angeles Times and 4 comments

4 comments
T. Rutherford
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On 10/25, I spoke with a LA times representative in the local grocery store. By subscribing, I received a $5 gift card to the local grocery store and was promised information regarding a $5 rebate emailed to me in the following week. I never received the promised $5 rebate incentive nor the service that I subscribed to (the Sunday paper (8 installments) as well as an 1 week free online subscription). The supporting document is the document recorded in the local grocery store outlining the agreement (redaction is credit card information). On 01/03/2022, I called LA times to cancel my subscription and inquire about the $5 rebate, the unreceived papers and the unreceived information about the week long free digital access. The customer service representative informed me they do not do rebates and refused to refund me for the unreceived services.

H. Sporer
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

December 13, was the date of transaction Some high school kids were doing a fundraiser with the la times for scholarships. My card was used on two accounts and I only had info for one. I called to get this issue addressed an the Times dropped my call? They also didn't inform me that the "one time subscription" was a continuous subscription until you canceled it.

F
F
F. Jerde
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On January 28, 2022, I began what is supposed to be a daily subscription to the Los Angeles Times. My husband's debt card was immediately debited for $56.00 on this date. I have not received the paper, and when I logged into my account online, it says the subscription was canceled! Yet the $56.00 was stolen from my husband's account by the shady Los Angeles Times. Efforts to reach anyone in customer service or billing have been, of course, unsuccessful.

E. Willms
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

On Dec 7, 2022, I contacted the Los Angeles Times newspaper and subscribed to the print edition, 4 days a week. I was charged on my credit card $51. It was supposed to be delivered beginning Dec 9. It was not delivered. I called the number for delivery complaints and was told the paper would be brought to my house that day; it was not. This was the same every day for over two weeks. Then I spent 2 or 3 days trying to cancel the paper . Finally on Dec 23 I got a phone agent who promised to cancel the subscription and credit my charge account for what I paid. The agent said the credit might not show up on my charge statement for 2 times. It was not on the December statement. It was not on the January statement. It is not on my February statement.

Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times I continued to be billed monthly for a newpaper subscription despite using the website to cancel my service

I continued to be billed monthly for a newpaper subscription despite using the website to cancel my service. I signed up several months ago for a *** 4 week trial of the LA Times at the start of the Covid-19 outbreak in order to get up to date news about the situation. After 2-3 weeks, I realized that I wasn't getting any special information, so I navigated to my profile on the site and clicked "cancel my subscription." I received no confirmation email but was served a page which said my subscription would be cancelled within 5-7 days. A week later, I received a charge for *** Thinking I had perhaps done something wrong, I once again clicked "cancel my subscription" on their website and was given no confirmation email but again a page which said my subscription would be cancelled in 5-7 days. Just again this week I was issued another *** monthly charge. I'd called customer service multiple times and been unable to reach a CSR, I'm assuming on account of people being furloughed due to the pandemic. Finally I reached a CSR today who informed me that "cancelling your subscription on the website is not a guarantee" and I asked her how it would be possible for me to know that? She said she could cancel my subscription immediately but that she could not issue any refunds.

Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times Door-to-door sales scam ("subscribe and we get a scholarship"); Fraudulent transaction Last week at around 8pm, 2 teenagers knocked at my door

Door-to-door sales scam ("subscribe and we get a scholarship"); Fraudulent transaction Last week at around 8pm, 2 teenagers knocked at my door to ask me for a donation of *** They claimed they would get a scholarship of *** towards their college tuition for every 35 donations they get. They did not accept cash or Venmo, only checks or credit cards. They used salesman techniques to pressure me into giving them a check. I gave them a check of *** as I was very uncomfortable and wanted them to leave. I discovered that they were selling LA times subscriptions, and that this is a common scam. I called the police to report this scam, and they told me the teenagers had no right to be knocking at my door, as I live in a residence where soliciting is forbidden without permit (which they did not show me). On Sunday, I received an LA Times newspaper (not sure of its authenticity). The transaction is FRAUDULENT and unlawful, I will ask you NOT to cash the check, and REMOVE all of my data if you received any. If you issued a subscription, please STOP sending newspapers and CANCEL immediately, this was a fraudulent transaction due to the deceiving selling techniques. I emailed the LA times but received no response. Please STOP all newspaper delivery immediately and STOP deceitful solicitations.

Los Angeles Times has left an official reply on this complaint.

Los Angeles Times LA Times will not let you cancel online only subscriptions online, but force you to call and wait for 45 minutes to cancel

LA Times will not let you cancel online only subscriptions online, but force you to call and wait for 45 minutes to cancel. Unacceptable. It is sad that this day in age, a once glorious institution like the LA Times is reduced to using tricks to avoid cancelling customers. They refuse to provide an online option to cancel your subscription, and require you to call, yet calling you are forced to wait on hold for so far 45 minutes while being transferred 3 times. Keep in mind, this is after calling the cancellation number on the website under account management. I would expect this kind of behavior from such reputable firms as Trump University or perhaps a pornography site. Other organizations from the NY Times, Washington Post, Dropbox, Wikimedia donations and many others all allow easy online cancellation. There is no excuse for this behavior and no better sign of a dying organization than one that tries to retain their revenue through deception. Imagine the amount of money that the LA Times is stealing from their own customers by making cancellation so time consuming and difficult. How many customers that can't afford a subscription for whatever reason are continuing to pay out of sheer frustration. This is fraud and a deceptive business practice and more importantly, poor customer service that shouldn't be tolerated these days.

Trust badge
Collect Your Trust Badge
Be recognized for outstanding customer service

Contact Los Angeles Times customer service

Phone number

+1 (213) 237-5000

Website

Our Commitment

We stand for unbiased reviews

We help resolving issues

We advocate freedom of speech

We ensure transparent and fair ratings

We care about your privacy

We are easy, free and open to everyone

Is ComplaintsBoard.com associated with Los Angeles Times?

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with Los Angeles Times Customer Service. Initial Los Angeles Times complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for Los Angeles Times above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about Los Angeles Times. Discuss the issues you have had with Los Angeles Times and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.