TCF Bankhold on cash deposit

I recently deposited $800 CASH (this is key) into my local TCF banks ATM (also key). The transaction occured on a tuesday afternoon at 3pm. On Wednesday I made a purchase and also had a cell phone bill automatically deducted from my account. When I went to an ATM the same day to withdraw $20 dollars I owed a friend, I was told I had insufficient funds. The purchase earlier in the day and the cell phone bill amounted to less than $100. I went inside the branch to see what the problem was. I was told I missed the Tuesday cut-off for deposits of 2pm. "Is that the only time you make deposits?" I asked. "No, we also make them at 8am when we open for business." OK? So why was the cash deposit not cleared then? Apparently buried in the fine print of TCF's checking account agreement is a note that treats all cash deposits made at an ATM like a check, requiring a two day hold period. My $800 CASH deposit made on Tuesday was not made available until Thursday and in the mean time I was charged $70 ($35 per occurance) for the transactions made on Wednesday. YES, THERE WAS A 2-DAY HOLD PUT ON MY CASH DEPOSIT THAT COST ME $70. Needless to say, after all funds cleared, I closed my TCF checking account and took my business elsewhere.

• Fr
    frieri423 Oct 08, 2009

The reason why we hold your cash deposit is because Ive opened ATM envelopes in the morning when I run the deposits and some of them are short huge amounts of cash or empty. Thats why you should always use the tellers. All ATM deposits are next day availibility!!!

• Cl
    clark o Zaccardi Oct 14, 2010

I srongly suggest that nobody do bussiness with this banking system since aug 1 2010 thwey have changed all ther so called policies and now they claim that they are legal to rip off people that they call there costomers not only do they have the worst costomer service but over the last five years on my bussiness and personal accounts i have had five thousand dollrs in fees and i have paid and paid them and i am fed up clark zaccardi @[email protected]

chicagoannie Aug 27, 2013

Cash deposits need to be made with tellers. Oct 8th response is exactly correct - no ATM deposits are available same or next day for the exact reason given - people can lie and say the put in $1000 dollars via ATM, but until the funds are verified by the bank, they are not available for use. SImple common sense. Not the bank's fault customer is stupid.

• Br
    Brandon_H312 Jan 09, 2014

TCF needs to update there technology. I bank with tried them BRIEFLY but took my business back to Chase today.
    My cash deposits would take days to clear and the customer service is HORRIBLE.
    I've banked with Harris, Bank Of America, and Chase...TCF is by far the worst of em.

• Ph
    Phoenix927 Jul 25, 2014

I had an issue yesterday where I deposited my Payroll Check at the ATM, and found there was to be a hold placed. No problem there, but I knew that I was going to have to make a payment with my debit card at noon and wanted to make sure it didn't bounce. So, at 11:15 a.m., I went in to the bank and deposited $600.00 CASH with the teller (3x what was supposed to be charged, just to be on the safe side). When I went at 4:30 p.m. to make another charge to a tailor, my card was declined as insufficient funds! I called TCF where they proceeded to tell me that because I had deposited a check in the ATM and had a hold, that they placed a HOLD on my CASH deposit with the teller as well. WHY??? I didn't deposit the cash in the ATM, but with a live person who counted it out. I also got a receipt showing me to have a POSITIVE balance. The supervisor on the phone would NOT take the hold off the cash so that I could finish paying for my tailoring, and now I have to go back at a later date. I will most DEFINITELY be closing my account and going somewhere else. And I am a new customer!! THIS IS CRAZY!! Treating CASH deposited with a TELLER as a check!! SMH!!!