Tampa Electric/tecoDEPOSITS

I

I am having the same problem with TECO/TAMPA ELECTRIC.they are demanding a deposit and have sent us a letter of disconnect if we fail to pay the deposit.they are not willing to do anything and we've been with tampa electric for 18 years. times are hard. we may pay late, but we pay and its because of the paying late that they are demanding deposits.I want to know if this is legal? can they demand for something that already is? can they terminate out electricity even though we pay out electric bill?

• Ir
    Irvin Feb 04, 2009

My attitude is that I should have done this when the first demand was being reqeusted from us. They do not want to help anyone, but yet the government has helped them.

• Da
    Dawn Feb 18, 2009

Irvin,
    I am in the same situation as you. I have been with TECO (at this particular residence) for over 7 years and have been in good standing. And just as you stated in your complaint, times are tough right now. It is not just a couple of people who are experiencing financial hardship, it is the entire nation. I too have paid late a few times in the past year - but I have still paid (along with thier late fees). As of right now, I am up-to-date with my bill, however TECO is now demanding a $300 "deposit" or my service will be disconnected. The due date for this amount is less than a month away. If I havent had the available funds to pay my bill promptly, what makes them think I have an extra $3oo lying around to send to them? I too asked them if there were any payment plans or anyone else I could speak to about my case, and I was told that once the system "flags" my account, there is nothing ANYONE can do about it. Really? No one can help me at TECO? I find this hard to belive. I am disapointed in thier customer service and willingness to help out thier customers in the nations time of econimic crissis.

• Da
    Dawn Feb 18, 2009

Irvin,
    Please post back if you have any new information on this, Thank You

• Ka
    Kayla Feb 20, 2009

I am in a similar circumstance with TECO in Tampa; about 4yrs ago when I moved to FL I had to pay a $250 deposit to get my elctric turned on, well now that I have been paying the bill all this time I decided to ask for my deposit back as they clearly have no intention of releasing it without you having to ask... so we called and were informed that because of our "late payments" they would not release this deposit. The bllling date is the 12th and I get paid monthly on the 15th of every month so my payments have always been about 3-5 days late but they get paid and have been paid for nearly 4 yrs... so we asked can they change our due date? They told us NO they can not because everyones date is the same and they refuse to release the security deposit. They have $250 of MY money and I owe them $140 I want the remainder of my money. These people are THIEVES and the worst of it there are not any other options in my area- they have a monopoly which I thought was illegal. Also isn't it illegal to withhold a security deposit like this? I know on a rental home a security deposit must be placed in an Interest baring account within a set time otherwise you can demand the security deposit back.

This is sick - they get OUR Tax dollars from the GOVT but have no options to help anyone but themselves and refuse to even acknowledge that what they are doing is just plain WRONG. Something needs to be done about them, the GOVT needs to step in and give us other otpions for electricity - these guys are getting too big for their own good!

• Er
    eranger Feb 23, 2009

They have done the same thing to me. It is wrong. I could go on and on about it but I'm not going to waste my breath/fingers. I filed a complaint here http://www.psc.state.fl.us/ not sure if that will do any good but I don't know of any other options.

• Ol
    Olga Dominguez Mar 12, 2009

I just received a notice in the mail stating that if I do not pay a deposit of $290 my electric service will be disconnect it. We have live at the same addresss for 15 years and yes lately we have been paying late but (as the previous person mentioned) these are tough times I am the only one at home working full time. Please if someone is reading these complaints let me know if this is legal can they disconnect the electricity if we do not pay the deposit?.

• Te
    teepage1101 Mar 17, 2009

OMG! I am going through this exact same issue. Except my deposit request is $825!!! How am I supposed to pay this? The customer service rep actually told me to "find a credit card". When I told the supervisor that there was no way I could come up with the money, he told me "tough" and it "didn't matter" how long I had an account with TECO. I swear I was waiting for him to show up at my house with a baseball bat to get the money. This is extortion, people. I emailed my complaint to the Public Service Commission, the Tampa Mayor's office and the office of Charlie Christ. My next step is to contact the local TV stations and tell them about this practice. I encourage EVERYONE to email these people, let them know that we're ALL STRUGGLING, just to keep our homes in many cases. Stand up and complain!!!

• Fo
    FortuneRose Mar 31, 2009

I also have gotten a demand for a deposit in the amount of $440.00 in the mail, and if I dont pay it they are going to shut me off. Yes, I have been late with my payments because I am BROKE! I am raising 2 boys by mysel[censored]Where am I going to come up with and EXTRA $440.00??? Do they think I am secretly holding out money on them? I am late on purpose because I am just soooo rich but stingy with my money? I dont freaking understand the logic here. If I can't afford to pay my current bill on time how am I suppose to pay them MORE money? Everyone needs electric! This is extortion and there is nothing we can do about it. Thanks for helping make the economy situation better TECO. Bend us over Teco. There is a special place in hell for people like you guys.

• Li
    Linda Lake Apr 22, 2009

I too am in the same boat. I am disable and my husband has been out of work since last June. I have been behind one month with TECO and NOW they want $425 by the 29th of April. Like I told them if I had that kind of money lying around, did they think I would be behind in my payments? I am at wits end. I draw disability and I can only make it stretch so far. All the agencies I have called have no funds. I can't make myself understand WHY TECO is doing this. I have enough to worry about and then this. That kind of money is just not available to me. WE are hanging on by a wing and a prayer now. How can they justify their actions? I wish someone could explain this to me and all the others they have done this too. Let's face it, they will be making money daily with the interest this $$ will acrue. To me, they might as well use a gun!

Linda
    Winter Haven, FL

• Ho
    hobnob62 May 06, 2009

O.K. So, I have been a customer with Teco gas for about 3 years ( give ot take ) I just got a letter in the mail saying that because 2 monthes out of the year I used more natural gas then My deposit was for ( the rest of the year i use less ) . Now, they want to increase my deposit. My land loard works for the city of st pete and suggested I contact the florida consumer complaints division. so i googled it . here is the link.
    the more people complain about the same issue the more the state will be more likely to make Teco reverse anything they have done. Im thinking i will call Teco first and let them know that I can just as easy replace the water heater with a new electric, on demand water heater ( my land loard is cool that way ) and my stove will just be for looks since i dont use it that much anyway . Ill just use my nu wave oven.
    I hope this link is usefull to you all. good luck and best wishes.

John Jun 09, 2009

Same exact issue, added on that every month keeps saying we didn't pay, so every month we get bills for $300-$600. We paid our bill, and they decided to apply it to our deposit, instead of the bill, then rolled our bill over. Now, we already had a deposit, so I am wondering what happened to that one.
    There is nobody to complain to, there is nothing to be done. They are a legal monopoly who can do what they want, when they want, and will fabricate anything they want to get the government to allow it.
    Our only option? To just hope it doesn't hurt that much, or get used to living without electric. Oh, and Yes, they will shut it off if you don't pay. They shut our off first thing in the morning, and then wouldn't turn it back on until (literally) 3:59AM, because that was still before 4am in their book. So yeah, all our food went bad as even our Fridge couldnt' withstand the heat without electric, our freezer wasn't to bad since most of our stuff was safe to re-freeze, we got the pleasure of suffering in almost 94 degree heat.. and they come at their hour even though they got paid 7 hours before hand to turn it back on.

So pay the deposits people, don't even assume you are paying your bill, and don't bother trying to work with them. We have to keep paying double because they keep sending us "Final notices" on every bill, and every bill is this months and last months. Nothing we can do except hope that some alternative eventually comes up out of nowhere.

• Wi
    will Jun 15, 2009

$260 here, Plus they already have a 350$ deposit on file. So basically they are going to be holding 700$ tax free and making interest on it for a year before we'll ever see a dime of it back.

AntnDes Jun 26, 2009

THIS sucks i have just moved here from NM and they want $385 DEPOSIT i just moved with my family i have a 2 year old girl and my wife is a full time mother im on this trainning program at work so pay is lower than usual we are broke and when i phoned them they might as well said [censored] you even after i told them i had a child it was the same response i quote " other ppl manage to pay it" WTF im not asking for a car payment or cable tv ITS ELECTRIC how dare they use it against us...im livivng in Lake ST Charles is there any other electric companys out there PLEASE HELP US!!!

• Ca
    Capri21 Aug 07, 2009

a $98 average to $187 in one month something is not right...i just hold on to faith and manage through payment arrangements b/c my pay day may or may not be close to my due date...

• Pr
    prw Aug 15, 2009

I HAVE LIVED IN THE SAME DOUBLE WIDE (trailer) FOR 15 YEARS, WE RECIEVED OUR DEPOSIT BACK MANY YEARS AGO, HOWEVER WHEN THE GAS PRICES WENT UP AND WITH A SENIOR IN HIGHSCHOOL PAYING FOR ALL THE EXTRAS TIMES WERE TOUGH (PS MY BILLS WERE LATEBUT MY SERVICES WERE NEVER DISCONECCTED), WE GOT A LETTER FROM TECO STATING WE NEEDED TO PAY ANOTHER DEPOSIT FOR 370.00 AND I DID AND I CHOSE TO MAKE SURE I WOULD MAKE MY PAYMENTS @ THE VERY LAST MINUTE SINCE I KNEW THEY WERE DRAWING INTEREST OFF MINE AND ALL OTHERS, I HAVE NOW RECIEVED ANOTHER LETTER STATING THEY WILL REQUIRE MORE MONEY, AND I WILL PAY IT AND PAY @ THE LAST MINUTE JUST FOR PRINCIPAL!!!IF THEY ASK FOR MORE I WILL JUST SEND MY BLOOD!!!

• Ak
    AKITCHENS Aug 20, 2009

This has just happened to my family. Me and my wife were laid off last year and have been unemployed barely able to pay the bills but never missed one payment, may have been late a couple of times but it was due to unemployment check issues. We have been with TECO for 8 yrs and have had our deposit returned a long time ago. Just this week they send us a notice requesting a $500 deposit and we already have the current bill of $325 due. At the bottom of the notice it says we were informed and were not, it also says that any payments sent to them can used towards the deposit only. I have a two young children that live with me and I cannot afford this request. Is there anything that can be done to avoid having to pay another deposit??

• Ke
    Keyshla Aug 20, 2009

I am in the same boat. ive paid my teco late for a couple of months yes b/c i lost my job and im under unemployment and raising 2 young boys. i receive a bill 4rm teco of 334 i didnt have the money so i got help from county and they paid it... right when they paid it a day later i got a letter saying tht by the 4rth i have to pay a 250 dollar deposit and the lates is the 22 in which is in 3 days from know and on top of the deposit i have the new bill mind u i have a one bedroom apartment and im usually staying at my in laws and the new bill is 304 i never seen a bill that high in my life after tht 334 that i dont know why it was that high but i didnt question it...Till the new one of 304 came... i called teco and they dont care that im under unemployment with 2 kids cant even pay my rent on time and they want 250 by the 22nd and the 304 due by the 23 im so stressed out i dont know were to go or what to do some one please if you have info. about a way to get help or fix this let me know... thank you my name is Keyshla Cruz

John Aug 21, 2009

Our bill has now started to go up by around $100 every other month. Last month we paid $400 or so, this month is again $400 or so. For the vast majority of the day we have nothing running outside of our fridge (almost 18-20 hours a day), and our A/C which is set at 78-80 degrees. I cannot, for the life of me, figure out exactly what is taking up SO much electricity when nothing is running. Teco just doesn't care, and will gladly keep sending money. If you argue, they hang up because they know you can't do anything about it. If you have billing problems, you are screwed because they don't like letting you talk to their department that researchs past bills for inaccuracy.

mandybear1987 Aug 25, 2009

who sees these complaints? anyone? anyone with power? I think someone needs to seriously do something. I didnt think it was legal for someone with children to not have electricity or water?

Deposit Aug 27, 2009

Tampa Electric Deposit issues.

Here is what you do. !! Send the deposit by registered mail if they do not accept that type of mailing than send a invoice to tampa electric/Teco. The text needs to be as followed:
    We have approved your personal loan request from ( enter your name and information ) The funds have been deposited ( see either the phone case/account number or the receipt that you have received. ) " at this time we want to inform you that the personal loan that we have issued in your name bears a interest rate of 23.55% on a anual basis calculated per month of loan period." Meening that you have made a personal loan to TECO/Tampa Electric any person of age 18 and older has the right to file a claim against TECO in court the fee is only $ 25.00 and the file is called Nuseance file you file a claim with the court in your district at this time TECO/Tampa Electric hands are tied behind their back in any way shape or form if they want to increase the fees and other changes.
    You the customer who posted a deposit ( loan ) to TECO and which TECO has approved by accepting the funds via phone/mail/direct pay see the case number account number etc.. info on your monthly bill's have a right to receive interest on the moneys deposited ( lend to TECO ) all deposits are in legal terms so called personal Loans and you the payee can stipulate any terms you see fit for the money lend to companies like TECO/Tampa Electric. Do you have a attorney ?? call him and ask 99% of the population do not know anything about this fact yet in previous cases against landlords around the country people have gone to court to defend their personal loans( deposit's ) against companies who make millions of dollars anually in interest on these funds yet you the lender does not get anything at all in the end and most of the times they find some sort of sneaky way to lure you out of the deposit ( Loan ) in the end.

I hope you read this and see the logic in the post.
    Cheers from a TECO customer who is looking forward to receiving a nice interest on his personal loan to TECO

Deposit Aug 27, 2009

To all of you who have TECO problems
    It only takes 8 people to file a class action lawsuite it seems that TECO has found a way to mussle everyone in their books to come up with some sort of blood money. I say NO only together can we fight a injustice like this. 8 people who are strong and head strong will be able to bring down a mafia outfit like TECO everyone send their invoices now let your accountant calculate the interest rates that you will charge for the money that you lend them.
    The Stipulations and post's I have read here are all the same TECO is defrauding everyone.
    As specially the people who had their deposit's returned after being a good customer for years they are the ones who need to stand up and fight against this injustice.

• Sn
    snowpea31128 Sep 04, 2009

I agree with everyone on this site teco is getting away with alot of stuff we have almost 400 dollar electric bills every month and we are hardly home and barley run and electric at all becides the refridgerator...Is there any legal way to confront teco about this thay dont care if its hard times or not they just care about getting there money and feeding there pockets and familys

• A1
    a1fla Oct 08, 2009

Teco is trying to bully their way to fill thei coiffers. I'm a customer with TECO for 18 years and was recently late, they demanded an additional $400 deposit. I said no, I have been in good standing for 18 years, just because I was late once or twice does not entitle them to more deposit. This happened 4 months ago and I never paid the additional deposit. They can forget it, I will go to the news first. If they ever tried to cut me off, it will be on 8 on your side!

delirioustampa Oct 20, 2009

Same here. I got out of sync with paying my bill because I lost my job .. I was only a week or so late with my payments and now they want a $520.00 deposit. I told them I'd have to take out a loan to make the deposit. Of course you only speak with customer service reps and they repeat the same old tune that they're sorry but TECO is a regulated agency and the deposit is required. Come on... I now have to pay my regular electric bill of $370 PLUS the deposit of $520. The same thing is happening to a few friends of mine. They are squeezing the average person who is dealing with unemployment or lower salaries to pad their bank accounts to to take care of bad debts. So here we are again. Helping the big corporations out of their mess when there is no one to help us get out of the mess we are in..

• Fu
    Furious in St Pete Nov 10, 2009

I just received a letter stating that Teco found that my gas meter was apparantly not working properly for several months and were billing me incorrectly during this time. They went on to say that they have estimated what my bill should have been for each of these seven months and have decided that I must pay $174.52 otherwise have my service disconnected. After many unreturned phone messages left with supervisors, finally a service tech came to my house and said that I must give him a check immediately for the $174.52 or he would be disconnecting my service. I gave the check. About 2 weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating Teco is conducting a random audit and found that I don't have a deposit on my account and must pay the deposit required on my next bill otherwise face service disconnect again. I have been with TECO for approx 6 years and never had to pay a deposit, but now I have to put one up????? I HATE TECO!!! Times are really hard right now, and coming up with that backed amount of 7 months right then was really hard, not to mention the suddenly required deposit. I have just filed a formal complaint with the Public Service Commission.

• Sh
    shannon golden Dec 11, 2009

I agree with everyone writing this blog. Does it take the President of the United States, to come to the aide of the Florida residents and save them from the preditors like TECO? I hope a major law suit is in the making here, Shannon

• Do
    DownwithMonopoly Mar 02, 2010

How can we file a class action suit against teco? I am having the exact same problem.

• Do
    DownwithMonopoly Mar 02, 2010

I would like to deal with this TECO deposit situation I am having the same problem with them and I think there maybe power in numbers please email me at [protected]@yahoo.com

• Kh
    khristina Mar 16, 2010

our electricity has been diconnected because we just couldnt come up with the extra money. my mother is diabled and we rely on the electric for her crae. but whne we told TECO this they said her needs werent their problem.

• Bu
    BusinessReporter.net Mar 16, 2010

They added a $200 deposit to my bill so I got even with them by immediately reporting them to the Florida Public Utilities Commission. I have a gas only account so my average bill is about $50 a month, except in the winter, then it's about $220 for a few months. A rep from the Florida Public Utilities Commission told me they are not allowed to add a deposit, which is more than the 12 month average so the deposit they tried to charge me is too high. Also, by filing the complaint, TECO cannot legally make me pay the deposit until the PUC has decided on the matter and they cannot shut off my service or they will be in BIG trouble. If I don't like the decision, I can appeal and delay the deposit being due if I want to make it harder on them.

I suggest that everyone who has had problems with TECO file complaints to the PUC in your state. It may cause them to get investigated and fined.

BusinessReporter.net

Femme Ice Mar 16, 2010

I had was born and raised in Winter Haven, I lived in the same home for 18 years and had the same problems you all have. My solution? I moved to another State for the first time in my life and left owing them. What do I care if it goes against my credit? It's shot anyway being out of work for a year and a half. If I hear of a class action suit I will be more than happy to participate, I feel they owe me much more than what I left owing them.

• Ro
    Robert Goode May 12, 2010

So where does one go when TECO won't work with you? I have a complaint regarding the meter: my kWh usage has gone up 9 times yet I am rarely home. I have a gas water heater and have never used the stove. I haven't been home in two months an yet my bill is 10x what it was in peak AC season last summer when I was around a lot. I say it is a faulty meter, they say their meters are infallible. They say a 9X increase is minor and does not amount to a defect in their view. And they have suggested that soenoe is stealing my electricity or sneaking in and using the AC when I'm not there: both impossibilities. Where does one appeal this to get some fairness?

Femme Ice May 22, 2010

I don't know where you'd go but hope that someone can direct you in the right direction. TECO tells everyone that it's their fault, their neighbor's fault, their dog's fault, anyone except TECO's fault. They train their employees to be rude and to always shift the blame from them to anyone else. Good luck to you, it's so good to no longer be under TECO and their "rules".

• Gm
    Gman-Patriots Jul 14, 2010

I got one of these this week. My bill this month is $480.00, because I was ONE day late last month, and also late in October of 2009, they have decicded to charge me an ADDITIONAL depost fee of $580, due by August 11th. I called and complained but was not successful. I know have until September 14th to pay the additional $580! Has anyone had any success getting around this? How about using the RESIDENTIAL GUARANTOR PROGRAM form? email me directly if you want, [protected]@hotmail.com

• Br
    BrandyP1981 Aug 09, 2010

I have been with Teco for along time as well and have been going through the same things no matter what the problem is, weither it is the bill being higher then it should, them saying I haven't paid my deposit even though I have countless amount of times but have I once seen the benefit from paying a deposit when I was struggling getting a bill paid? No
    They would just bill me another deposit because of being late on a high bill that they wont work something out so I can manage my payments WHY? (because I was red flaged.) Just because we are being red flagged dosn't mean we are running from our responsiblities it just means we are going though something and need help, if I am going to run from a bill it sure the hell isn't going to be something like the electric I got kids to think about, and like many others were saying Teco doesn't give tow [censor] about what this is doing to families with kids.
    I can deal with not having electric if it was just me and my husband but I have 3 kids that I worry about getting heat stroke, " HELLO Teco it is Florida and August the hottest month of the year.
    This last problem I am recently having with them is that I was living with my father-in-law until my husband and I get back on our feet, from him losing his job from a injury.
    Anyways last month we got turned off and we paid for it to get turned back on and it cost us $370.11 (Julys Bill) and we were told we were caught up but we still owe a $125.00 deposit which they told us the reason we owe another deposit is from our electric going down (after we had a energy audit done).
    I was puzzled I am being charged another deposit for my bill going down???
    Goodness me I brought my bill down and they still have to get money from me.(By charging me for getting problems fixed to lower my bill.)
    I didn't have the money to pay it because we had to get the money for that bill together after paying others bill, Yes Teco I said other bills you are not the only bill that us Floridians have to pay.
    So after paying and catching up my bill and only owing the 125.00, which I didn't have to give. The following month (Aug) they sent us a bill for almost $900.00 which was just supposed to be for the bill not deposit because they have told be they bill the deposit seperate from the monthly bill.
    So why is it after catching up my bill from last month and only having a deposit of 125.00, I am being charged almost 900.00?
    They wont give me the answers where is it on the bill explaining it?
    And that is not the last of it with my complaint.
    I thought since my father-in-law is my landlord and it is his home, that I would close my account and make payment arrangements after they close it and he will set up an account through his name since it is his home and I wouold be leaving to go back home with my parents for awhile.
    I exlained to Teco he is a truck driver and he will be home next week and wants to set up the account in his name because I am leaving and I dont want my past bill to be a issue with him getting an account.
    Exspeacially since he has nothing to do with this and this bill will be following me and my credit.
    When he set up the account they made him pay the same amount which was then due which was $480.00 which he paid on a Weds morning and then he had to fax over paper work which was done Thurs afternoon. They still didn't turn it on and today is monday. They got everything they told him they needed to set up the account and never turnned it on.When my husband went on the Teco site to check account info we saw they billed what he paid toward the deposit to my old account and they told me before if they put it towards my account I would still have to pay 5??.00 before they turn it back on under my account, which was supposed to have been closed.
    I am tired of bending over and getting raped by Teco, like the logo says
    "Life Runs On Energy" so why are they trying to kill us with these outragious bills, not helping the less fortunate by allowing them to make payments and instead charging more, cause they know they could do it and that we would have to pay more money to the in the end because of the disconnect fee and reconnect fee, they are getting over on us with every little thing.
    Lets definately banned together and bring this to an end. Call news channels, send e-mails, anything that will help us the consumers of a Life source we all need to get by, that we only have 1 company that provides us with electric.
    If there was another electric comapany I would have went with them ages ago.

Femme Ice Aug 16, 2010

Unfortunately BrandyP, TECO is doing this to THOUSANDs of people every month. Their customer service reps are rude and uneducated. I do believe that being cold and heartless is a requirment for a job with TECO. Thankfully I moved out of the area and will never have to deal with them again, other than an occational letter wanting me to pay what I left owing them. It'll be a cold day in hell before I send it to them, I don't care if it stays on my credit record for 7 years, it's a small satisfaction I have that I left owing them after all the problems they caused me over the years. Good luck to all of you under gestapo TECO.

• Ve
    veryupset!!! Sep 18, 2010

Same thing happening with me!! I am late paying TECO due to loosing income but never had electric turned off. I don't call anymore to ask for an extension because I've "burned those bridges". I made a deposite years ago (19yrs.) when we moved to Tampa. Because I am late paying (never had electric turned off) we received a letter that a deposite of $750.00 was due. When calling TECO to make payment arrangements they are rude and there is nothing they can do. I asked for a supervisor and the operator stated I will transfer you but the supervisor will tell you the same thing. And it's true. The supervisor stated no payment arrangements can be made. If the deposit is not paid, electric will be turned off. I understand to receive electric you must pay. But what is confusing is that they don't give an inch after you pay late. With the economy as bad as it is one would think... They can do what ever they want with no one to answer to. I am late with Bright House as well but their operators are so overly nice and will extend the due date and thank you for being a customer. Bright House cares about their customers, their business reputation and the community obviously. TECO acts as if they could care less if they have your business or not. HMMMMMMMMM wonder if it's because we have no other choice of electric companies. This is a perfect example of why we need the goverment out of our lives such as OBAMACARE!!! NO CHOICES!!!

• Ha
    haylee young Sep 20, 2010

Well it looks like I will be buying a generator. To Run my refrig. I have a gas stove so thats good.

My bill is 600.00 a month 2 years ago it never went over 200.00. TECO will be sorry. I am ready for a class action suit, Lets do this... I have been with them for 11 years. My bill has dropped from 600.00 to 175.00. I called CHS world wide ECO and they sold me an energy box, a perm. filter and solar atic fans and a few other things. I spent about 1000.00 and dropped my bill by 425.00, Now that was the smartest thing We have every done... Before I spent the money I purchased a box that hooks up to my computer and shows me my electric use, I was not even home and the power was spiking so high that I think I was paying for other peoples electric... TECO called me and asked me was i still living in my home because my electric was so low... I hung up on them... They deserve that... They are the rudes people in the business, but soon that will change... If laws change we will be able to pick our own electric company, like texas and california an others...

• Ta
    TampaCoder Oct 05, 2010

Nearly the same thing is happening to me. The only difference is that I was never late. The due date is the 4th, so I paid them on the 4th, but by that time they had already hit my checking account and as a result were double paid. I called and they shut off that auto pay feature which i never authorized. Now a month later the same thing happens again, this time i had closed the checking account. Now I am expecting to get a letter demanding a deposit. We will see.

Manda13 Oct 14, 2010

this sucks i have to pay $410 just for a deposit to get my electric to get turned on can they realy charge you that much? i hve a 1 year old son and i dont work my husband is the only one working and my electricty is getting turned off tomorrow and my husband only gets paid $300 a week. what can i do?