Having problems with SunTrust Banks?

SunTrust Banks reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on May 30, 2007. The latest review Overdraft Fees was posted on Apr 7, 2021. The latest complaint freeze my account by suntrust was resolved on Jan 29, 2018. SunTrust Banks has an average consumer rating of 2 stars from 301 reviews. SunTrust Banks has resolved 65 complaints.

SunTrust Banks Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 786 8787 (Lost or Stolen Card)
+1 800 382 3232 (Online Banking, PC Banking, Bill Pay & Mobile Banking)
+1 800 447 8994 (Report Checking Account Fraud)
+1 800 443 1032 (Loss Mitigation, Bankruptcy Filings, Real-Estate Owned & Short Sale Inquiries)
+1 877 596 5407 (Credit Bureau Disputes)
1 Park Pl NE
Atlanta, Florida
United States - 30303-2904

SunTrust Banks Complaints & Reviews

SunTrust MasterCard Debit / Credit Cardnew mastercard and traveling

Here’s the abridged version (the highlights of my letter, if you will):

• Traveled all summer with SunTrust Visa debit/credit card—no problems.
• Received new SunTrust MasterCard debit/credit card in September 2010.
• Traveled to Vegas November 2010.
• Hold placed on card—called number on back of card, verified identity and purchases, hold was lifted.
• Midnight on the East Coast, 9pm in Vegas, a new hold is placed on card.
• Customer service closes at midnight EST, card rendered useless till next morning.
• Call number on back of card again, reach “Dani” in fraud department, am told I can’t differentiate between automated system and conversation with human being (the equivalent of being told I’m crazy).
• Hold lifted—apparently—waiting now for new hold in further travels to Phoenix, Sacrament, Charlottesville, VA, and DC (and all the places in between—oh, the places we’ll go!)
• Disappointed that attractiveness of a Delta SkyMiles card (because we like to travel) is rendered useless when actually traveling!

• Is it SunTrust or MasterCard that is being so difficult?
• Do I keep SunTrust as primary bank now, when my CFE Visa (and my husband’s BofA) debit/credit card works fine?
• How will this impact my husband’s business account when he travels to visit clients?
• Why does customer service close at midnight?
• Can SunTrust not afford 24-hour customer service? Is the bank in trouble financially?
• Can SunTrust not find someone like the first person who could only temporarily lift the hold or someone equally insulting as “Dani” was to the customer to work past midnight? Someone on the West Coast, perhaps?
• Is SunTrust not a very global company that is not fit to serve the needs of traveling customers? Especially when offering a debit/credit card that earns miles used for TRAVELING?
• Will I receive any sort of response to these questions?

Suntrust Mortgageinsurance fraud

SunTrust Mortgage company continues to claim that I do not have home owners insurance. My insurance company has provided proof and SunTrust Mortgage will not remove their escrow account. I've been dealing with them over this matter for several months. I will have to retain a lawyer and fight them in court. Their customer service is poor, they are truly trying to get me to pay for insurance that I already have. I've reached out to the BBB to dispute the issue.

Don't get your mortgage from SunTrust, they are nothing but a ripoff.

• Fo
        forrwen May 19, 2011

I have had the same problem every year. It has to do with the renewal date of the insurance - the date Suntrust has is probably earlier than your actual renewal date. Every year I've called in and every year they cancel the coverage they arrange after my broker sends proof. I will be done with Suntrust this year thank goodness. By the way if you are paying bi-weekly through the equity accelerator program it is a rip off and a money grab by the bank! I just found out that although the paperwork says otherwise, they collect the payment bi-weekly but only remit it monthly! So the only benefit is one bi-weekly payment a year goes directly to principal. In the real world the principal balance should be reduced bi-weekly and the interest calculated on the new lower principal balance. They also charge a fee for this scam!

• Ba
        Baja4me Dec 02, 2010

In May of this year Suntrust Mortgage enforced an insurance policy for the previous year. My insurance company was Allstate insurance and they have given Suntrust Mortgage the documents they required. Suntrust has very poor customer service. Enforcing an insurance policy for a previous year is just bad business. The mortgage companies are truly a ripoff. Hard to believe that in these days of large number of home defaults that a customer who has always paid on time and keeps insurance on the property can be treated like a dog. I'm posted this information to alert others to the extremely poor customer service. Suntrust doesn't give a *** about their customers, they try every method possible to obtain every last dollar. Don't get your mortgage from SunTrust. They do not care about the customer. It's all about the money.

sac**** Feb 29, 2020

@Baja4me They are horrid. They are trying to do same to us We have provided proof at least 8 times to them they remove it and then try to re ad insurance over and over I have had the same hazard insurance for 20+ years There needs to be another class action suit against them. Laws have been past a few years ago that say they cannot force a policy on you once you show you have a policy. They need to be prosecuted to the fullest for this I think this is the only way they will learn is if people start to go to jail for this fraudulent conduct. They try to place lender escrowed insurance policies on homeowners because They make commissions and kickbacks from these companies who try to provide the insurance Contact the attorney generals office of your state The state insurance commissioners office. Also the CFPC Commission Financial Protection Bureau And National Assoc Of Insurance Commissioner Consumer Protection. PLEASE EVERYONE DO THIS against Suntrust. if enough people do this they will investigate them again I would NEVER use them for any loans again worst publicity is bad publicity Horrible company

Sunlife Financial Trust Inc — fraudulent lottery winnings

Sunlife financial trust inc International claim department head office C/o cibc mellon trust company capital...

SunTrustBank - Floridamgmt decisions nightmare for customers

I opened a checking account at Suntrust (in Summerfield Walmart, just outside of Leesburg) in May 2010 because of these same problems caused by my previous bank. On September 30, 2010 I received a letter containing my "new Mastercard Check Card", replacing the Visa Check Card I had received when I opened the account.

It has taken me over four months to clear up the mess my previous bank had left me in, and I had just gotten all my bills set up to be charged to my Suntrust Visa check card, and had breathed a sigh of relief. Now I am again faced with the same nightmare - notifying all my creditors to change my card number! Several of them do not even send me a statement, and I have no idea of their address, phone number, or email address! Because of this, I cannot have Suntrust send them a payment check (as Suntrust requires an address to send payments), and have elected to use my debit card to pay these people.

When I called Suntrust today, they apologized sincerely (local bank officials), but said there was nothing they could do - I would have to start this notification process all over again! I am still disputing late charges from the last time this happened to me!

I think this is the worst sort of customer service! They advertise a service, then cancel it without warning - and I'm just out of luck. Sun TRUST??? No more trust here. Suppose they decide to do this again in three or four months? I believe Suntrust should be responsible for notifying all my creditors of my new card number, or arrange to pay them by check - AND pay any late fees incurred because of their decision! Otherwise, I guess it's time for another new bank!

Brenda Stewart

SunTrustBanknightmare

I certainly think consumers should know about the struggles my husband and I have had with SunTrust Bank recently.

In this current economy, it's obviously difficult to sell a home. When my husband and I found buyers for our condominium in June, we were thrilled! The buyers are an older, wealthy couple who have a main home in Mount Airy and a vacation home at the beach. Our $79, 000 condominium was not an unreasonable purchase for them.

We set our closing date for Friday, August 6-- about a month and a half after the contract was created. Once that day arrived, though, SunTrust admitted to not being prepared. They had not even sent off the package to underwriting yet!

The closing was then rescheduled for Monday, August 9; then again for Tuesday, August 10. Both times, the bank was unprepared and closing was canceled. My realtor, the buyers, my husband, and I have all called, emailed, and even visited the SunTrust branch in person... we can't get a straight answer from anybody. As of today, we still don't have a resolution, nor have they communicated to us any sort of idea of what we should expect.

My husband has had to ask off of work three times; we've had to switch real estate attorneys; and I have had to reschedule numerous conflicts. Each day that passes, we are losing money towards our mortgage, HOA fees, and taxes.

Meanwhile, the buyers are anxiously awaiting a resolution; the wife plans to use the condo as a home to attend UNC-G's Master's in Nutrition program, and school starts next week.

At this point, we don't even know if the loan will close at all, which will be egregiously disappointing because the buyers were preapproved (and obviously qualified), and our condo has been off the market for so long. It will be very difficult to find another buyer in any sort of quick amount of time, and it will be quite an inconvenience the buyers who have already purchased furniture for the condo.

These constant delays and the lack of communication are rude, inconsiderate, evident of incompetence, and downright unprofessional, and I wanted to spread the word that people should avoid SunTrust Bank.

SunTrustBank — mishandling of investments

I have a complaint against a suntrust investor.in seven years she lost 250, 000 of my investments. She was to...

SunTrustBanksstealing

Suntrust bank has horrible customer service and if there is a way they can stick a fee to your account trust me they will. Every time I look there is a check bouncing now and a reason for them to take money from my account. Don't let this happen to you don't use em. Been with them for years and never had problems with checks bouncing in biz account. But clearly they have changed policies to collect more revenue. These banks and credit card companies think that they are slick stealing a little bit here a little there and like we don't notice. We notice. Got bailed out with our tax dollars too. Stick your money in your mattress and screw these banks and credit cards companies just like they screw you. Security so tight I can't even get help on my account without ten questions. Ridiculous. Seems like they set everything up to steal your money and then not have to answer for it. They don't even have corporate numbers anymore got to write letters they hope it will slow us down. Let's all start taking our money from these institutions and show them who really is in charge and it isn't them! Wake up america. These banks rob us on our car loans house loans hidden fees and make millions from it and we sit by like nothing is happening for me its over I am tired of banks robbing me 5 bucks at a time. Fees to take our money out of an ATM? Seriously?

SunTrustBank — poor banking practices

My mother in law has been with this bank, with this branch since 1952. We've been having problems with...

SunTrustBanktrial desposits

since they dont have a bank here in california i tried to transfer money to thier gay bank and they came back at us saying that they never recieved anything which is totally BS. costumer service was friendly horrible and i called 5 times just to explain to them, and they kept putting me on hold passing me around like a baseball. All in All Horrible Bank, Dont Believe Thier Bonuses, and They Blame you back. Fuc Them. Worst Bank Ever.

SunTrustBank — extortionists

My building, Lustra LLC had a 5 year commercial loan of $1, 500, 000 with Suntrust Bank which matured in...

Suntrustbank fees

*alert: highly entertaining whistle blower blog*

These bozos are the absolute worst. it makes me upset to see so many stories with the same theme, "nsf" fees and lack of customer support. I am absolutely removing all their money from their account, oops I mean my money from my account as soon as I am able to.

And to think I use to work for these rat [protected]@[protected]@rds.

Yes, I was the guy behind the counter processing checks and providing you, the valued customer, with the infamous suntrust customer service smile. right. I stopped smiling once I started attending the financial service rep meetings I was forced to attend. I can tell you firsthand that you, the valued suntrust customer, are not so valued after all, and that in fact this company is out to fleece you at any which way they can. does not matter whether you have millions of dollars and several accounts or are struggling to make $10 a week.

These were low level meetings that occurred during the initial days of the real estate bubble bust and it was obvious from the start that you, the valued suntrust customer, were going to pay high and tight for the fact that their stock worth had gone down. I can only imagine that the high level meetings were more cut throat and disgustingly greedy.

Lets start with the infamous nsf fees.

Each branch is allocated to a regional manager who is more or less in charge of "bringing home the bacon". these regional managers are the "capos" of the organization. they are the ones that order the hits but don't get their hands dirty. it is up the discretion of the regional manager whether or not nsf fees are refunded. the misconception is that bank managers hold that power. this is true but if a manager starts to refund too many nsf fees, a report is printed out. this report goes out to the hired goons of the regional manager, or floating managers as they are sometimes called. they in turn inform the regional manager who in turn issues the order that no more refunds are to be issued out for that particular branch. refunds are only to be issued out when it is a bank error. bank errors at suntrust occur less than.01% of the time so figure out your odds. on the other side of the coin, if a branch does not issue out any refunds or very little of them, the manager gets rewarded and their branch receives some sort of accolade from the regional manager.

A note on rm's: their power extends beyond nsf fees (of course). they are the dogs on leashes for the executives and hundreds of bank vice presidents. as their power is to carry out the wishes of the executives, the rm's have alot of power. so much in fact that most succumb to their own egos and power trips. perhaps these people were once decent human beings but its hard to tell since they are so submerged in their own cult of personality. this is not a hyperbole. perhaps it is because I was at the whipping end of rm's that my attitude is so negative on them but I am sure I am portraying an accurate description of most of them. these people act like they own the many branches they are responsible for without recognizing that they are tools. tools for the six-figure making execs above them.

The high-end clients rarely get to see nsf fees but they get what is called "out of bracket" fees. if their account falls below say, $100, 000 dollars then they get charged a fee for not being in the "correct" account because they fail to maintain the minimum for that account. my experience with those clients always resulted in weeks and weeks of negotiations between manager (who assumes responsibility since the client is beneficial to the bank) and rm. most of these clients are retained by the bank but not after a lengthy period of negotiations whether or not to refund hundreds of dollars worth of fees accumulated over months. I have had the pleasure to experience one fed up customer with over $200, 000 in their account simply remove all their money and move to another bank because of suntrust's manipulative ways.

I wish I could fill in more info on their mortgage, equity line and credit card scams but unfortunately the extent of my knowledge is limited since most fsr's that work with the client are kept out of the loop of whatever underhand schemes go on in those departments. I am sure we were kept uninformed or informed as little as possible for a reason. our job was to simply push these products on to you like chocolate covered golden eggs that offered some sort of financial benefit to you, the valued suntrust customer. the only beneficiaries are the bank execs. I only made $15-$30 commission on approved loans or equity lines which I would never see since I had a $150 thresh-hold to meet and then I would take home anything over that. if my recollection is correct I believe new accounts were worth according to the size of the initial deposit but never exceeded more than $5 and debit cards were worth $1. a lot of times I found myself offering debit cards to people who couldn't manage to tie the buttons on their shirt properly but suntrust loved it because these are the same valued suntrust customers that will collect nsf fees and thus, well you get the idea. if you ever wonder why fsr's are so pushy and chatty it is for this reason. they want to push as many products on to you as possible so that they can take home an extra $30 at the end of the month. very sad.

I could go on and give you examples and stories but will limit it to this final bit of information. there is a particularly sneaky nsf fee which is called a uaf charge. please, if you still have a suntrust account ask the fsr to describe exactly what this charge is. I guarantee you will not get a clear answer because I do not think they can provide you with one. it is so sneaky and underhanded that explaining it requires a doctorate in economics. understanding it requires a degree in linguistics. as an fsr I got so tired of trying to explain this to the poor slob trying to make ends meet that I just refunded any uaf fees that I saw. without my manager or rm's approval. it is basically suntrust way of saying, "we can do whatever we want with our money".

Epilogue: I worked for suntrust for nearly 2 years as an fsr. I never rose beyond fsr level 2 or 3, not because I couldn't but wouldn't. I did not want to be a sleazy bank guy and never bought into their brainwashing meetings. I was finally let go last year under new bank management for being 5 minutes late to another god-awful phone conference between branch managers and the rm. the then acting manager did not have the required testicular fortitude to fire me on the spot but instead called the rm to terminate me at the end of my 10 hour shift. she in turn threated me not to file for unemployment as the bank would do everything possible for me not to receive any benefits. two months later I was receiving my benefits after the unemployment commission deemed my termination, "unfair". today they charged me an additional $36 as an extended overdraft fee on an account that I had overdrafted on, I brought up my account to the positive on exactly the seventh day after it went negative. I could not do it earlier because of the easter holiday and delayed pay. it did not matter to these bozos. even after my account went to the positive they charged me again with another fee. they failed to see my side of the story. I fail to see why they still have customers. I have been silent for too long and this was the straw that broke the camel's back. if only one person pulls their money from their account after reading this it will be enough to make me happy. unfortunately, it won't be enough to shut this bank down for good.

Suntrust Mortgage — modification

I have been trying to modify my loan for over a year and the service is horrible. I have been denied twice...

Suntrustunfair banking practices

SunTrust debited my account a miscellaneous debit, overdrafted my account, then charged me almost $300 in ISF charges. I called them and told them they caused the overdraft and that I shouldn't have to pay the fees. They said they could not remove the charges. This is right after the new laws were passed regarding Unfair Banking Practices. To what governing authority do I report this?

• Rr
                    rren1981 Jun 09, 2010

Suntrust has been drafting my account when I am maybe a few dollars short, from largest to smallest to get more 36 dollar overdraft fees out of me, no matter if I made the smaller transaction before the largest, in a time when my wonderful family needs the money the most. Maybe we should all go back to the old fashion way. CASH!. Then maybe the jerks will lose their jobs, bonuses, and see how they feel when $36 is taken from them for a $ 2.00 transaction.. I will never recommend Suntrust to anyone!

• Bg
                    BG77 Jun 03, 2010

Depends what you are reporting? Banks don't just randomly "miscellaneous debit" your account. What was it for?

Suntrustridiculous

My wife and I left South Carolina for New England in December, closing down our SunTrust Bank account shortly before we left. Well, we thought we had closed the account down-- at least the banking administrator made us believe we had and that's what I told her I wanted to do. A few weeks after relocating back to New England, we received a letter from SunTrust stating there was one cent left in our account and we owed them a $13.99 monthly maintenance fee. It seemed like a joke but it wasn't. You wonder how much intensive labor goes into maintaining one penny. And why couldn't someone at the bank have the common sense to just take the initiative and close the account down in the first place? Anyway, I called the bank up and was told I needed to send a letter to one of their offices in Atlanta and include about six specific pieces of information before they could rid the account of the accursed penny and make sure we wouldn't be receiving any more bills from the bank. I did exactly as SunTrust told me to do, mailed the information to Atlanta, but we've still received two more notices requesting $13.99. When the latest one said there would be a $30 closing fee, I placed another call to the bank and repeated what had happened again. The "customer service" representative claimed they hadn't received my letter. I'm sure they had, but knowing this bank had already made a mess of closing my account, I surmised losing my letter would be even easier for them to do. Once again I was told to call the bank back in 24 hours because they were depositing $27.98 into my account to balance the negative amount I now "owed" them and it takes 24 hours for this transaction to occur. I'll do as directed tomorrow but if we move down south again I know I'll never use this bank again for anything. If they can't handle the smallest maneuver correctly, pretty unlikely they'll be successful in dealing with a major issue.

• Az
                      azzabar Mar 12, 2010

I had almost the same thing happen to me about 8 years ago when I closed my account. I told them what I wanted to do when I closed the account and I was told there would be no problem here's my cash. Fast forward one month, I get an overdraft notice from them that I owed them money for a debit charge that had come in later than usual after the account was closed and they paid it as a courtesy. I asked why they would do something like that knowing I took all of my business away and...how do you draw on a CLOSED account? They said a computer would have done it and they had no control. Do you think they waived the 30 dollar overdraft fee? NO! You do business with a bank, they turn sour, you stop doing business with the bank and suddenly they can't find your information that they have had for years to call you and tell you there was a mistake made on their end. Suntrust is a scam like the rest of the banks in the industry. They are there to pay their CEO's the big bucks at our expense not the other way around.

Sun Trust Bank make a smart choice and go with different bank

My husband and I got a 2003 Ford Escape in 2003! We made every payment!!! in January 2009 we sent in the "LAST" payment along with a note (thanks to my Grand mom)stating this was the last payment in our Book and That we thought we were payed off! so now TODAY! June 12, 2009 My Husband wakes up to go to work! and Guess What THE TRUCK IS GONE! We have never received anything stating we owed them never received another Payment Book, not even a Phone Call to let us know anything! so while I am on the phone with 911 they let us know that our car was repossessed!BY SUN TRUST! We call them and they inform us that we still owe another YEAR on our truck and could not give an answer to y we were never informed that we owed anything else! We have been tring to get in touch with the Manager Gary McWind But that was like an Hour ago and still No call from him!!!

I think your Bank is a Sham and I will Be contacting the Better Business Bureau! and I hope everyone else who is going through this kind of CRAP!! do the same or do what we should have done ( like MANY people told us to do) go with a diffrent BANK!!

• Mm
                        MMullins Mar 25, 2010

You probably were issue a loan book with 60 payments like ours had, Then when I had called one day for a payoff, they said we still owed until we had 72 payments. I said we only had 60 pay tickets in our book, but they said we had signed a contract for 72 payments and they would send us a new book, I did not remember this but they sent us a copy of our contract that said this.And I could not find mine to verify. Anyways when my husband lost his job, and being denied unemployment, I call to let them know that we were unable to make our payment, so I worked out an extension with them, did everything they asked me to do. Everyday after that I was receiving phone calls 2 or 3 times a day from them thru either a non connecting computer or a real obnoxious person that did not even bother to check our file before calling.Everyday I told them that I was sick of these harassing phone calls when I had already did the required items for them, and they kept coming up with a statement such as...''Well you didnt do this or you didnt do that'' I kept telling them that they had better check our file, because we had done everything that was said.This had gone on for 21 days until I was totally fed up and told them that I could not take their harrassment anymore and come and get the truck. I suspect they will be here anyday and they will totally ruin our credit!! and they also said that they could not work with us unless we both got jobs. M. Mullins in Texas

SunTrustBank — manipulation of reducing credit scores

My name is Nelson Reid Phifer; I am 60 years old and have been a row crop and a poultry farmer for 40+ year...

Marshville

Suntrustsimply awful

This bank has really caused a disruption in my life! First off I deposited my student pell grant check into my account 12/9/2017. I asked the teller prior to the deposit if the monies would show on my account because I would be going out of town on that thursday. Her response was yes the money would post to my account. I left for my trip earlier then expected on that wens. morning. When I went to my account that friday I noticed the amount was not avaliable i called customer service and was told the monies would not be avaliable til monday because of a hold(1st time I ever heared this info.) I then explained to the representative my issue and she transfered me to a supervisor. The supervisor connected me to the branch were I deposited the check. She also told me that the telller would not have known that the money would be on hold and the computer picks. I then was connected to the bank. The supervisor there explained the same as the representative and the superevisor from customer service and I explained my issue. Now I am in another state dont forget that with No Money! The bank supervisor and customer service told me the money would be avaliable today 12/15/2017. I go to make the reservation and it was declined I then check my online info and the same thing was posted. I then called customer service again and now the info I was given is that it would not be available til 12/16/2017. I then was put on hold by the representative from 6:45 til 7:24 waiting for a supervisor and then was hung up on. I now when I called there was a recording stateing that phone calls are monitored when you have representatives from the samr branch giving out wrong info. to your clients this does not look good and now I am missing days of work and my vacation is hell No money and haveing to ask others to help me that dont even now me has taken my life to a whole nother level Thanks SunTrust.

RESOLVED

• SunTrust Banks's response · Oct 08, 2010

Hi Vicki:

I'm the social media engagement manager for SunTrust and I would like to speak with you regarding your experience. We're genuinely sorry that your experience did not go as you'd hoped and would like to assure you that this is not at all the experience we strive to provide.

I'd like to touch base with you and not only research your particular interaction further but also to capture your personal feedback. Can you email me a preferred contact phone # as well as a convenient time? My email is [email protected] Thanks in advance for your time!

Bianca Buckridee

Joanna Samford Jan 30, 2014

Over the last 2 years suntrust has implemented
                          A program that maximizes their NSF fees.
                          Customers are getting ripped off because checks
                          Are not paid in the order they recieved an example
                          I had a certain amount of money over 1000 in my checking
                          I bought a few small charges some less than 5 dollars
                          Those charges sat pending for several days then my mortgage
                          Was due I knew I was a little short but as a long time
                          Customer suntrust usually pays it then I get charged
                          36 dollars well they took the mortgage check which
                          Came in last and paid it then charged me over 200
                          Dollars for NSF plus an extra one for continued
                          Overdraft. This has happened to the tune of over
                          A thousand dollars in unnecessary fees . I should
                          Have been charged for 1 check my mortgage as it
                          Came in last but they took over 200 dollars which really
                          Hurts my family. I am not the only one please help
                          If you can this is out and out robbery.

• Fs
                          fst61 Apr 14, 2013

I closed a account at Suntrust Bank back in 2017.with a 35dollar overdraft fee. I had forgot about it, but planned on paying it off. When I went to my credit union for a car finance loan. I had discovered that my overdraft fee was now over 300 dollars. with no letters from the bank or reminders . This is going to be resolved. But I will not recommend this branch to anyone.

• Fa
                          FATMAN WALKING Nov 02, 2012

My Mom is 89 years old and has been going to Suntrust for years...Every time I take her to this bank they have new people...Every month they are all new so they have no idea who my Mom is...She did not bring her ID this time and it was hell...They treated her like she was robbing the bank of it's money...This might have to do with the area i live in there are so many criminals in Fla that it is not funny...When you pay cash for something they look at it like 30 different ways to make sure that it is not fake...I think the government is not telling us something..There must be mega fake bills going around...Anyway back to Suntrust..I wish they would pay there people better so they would stay and not get new people every month...

• Ru
                          ruth lewis Mar 03, 2012

suntrust took 64 percent of trust income of a beneficiary to pay their own attorney not to give a distribution for 7 years

• Bi
                          bighorn Feb 18, 2011

Been with suntrust 10 years had debit trans actiones held out. Had overdraft fees add on payed them up. Next day check my acc 25 doller extened over fee add talk to the bank said it is a fee for waintin g a couple of dayes to bring current. Went closed my account would not recomend suntrust to no one. The biggest rip bank ever seen. Have had as much as thousands in there and as little as hundred does not matter to thes #

• Vi
                          vicki richardson Oct 05, 2010

I called and asked if I could place a stop payment on a check that I created via Suntrust's Bill Pay -- after I gave the young lady that took my call the details, she asked me to hold on while she checked. I was on extended hold for over 15 minutes. Once she returned she told me that she verified that I could place a stop payment and asked me who did I make the check payable to, the amount and the check number -- I gave her the information and told her that bill pay does not provide check numbers. She read me the disclosure and I acknowledged that I understood.

The following day (Saturday) the check which was for $2500 processed through my account and all of the small checks that processed afterwards were returned with a fee of $360. I called the bank on Saturday to see why wasn't the check stopped and the customer service representative told me that the check amount was $0 and the check number was 2500.

At the end of all of this, I was told that it was nothing they could do -- no reversal of charges, only that they read me the discolsure that said that if the check was processing that it might get paid -- no am I stupid or what...how in the hell could the system stop payment on a check that they could not identify? Suntrust is extremely devious with regard to their overdraft fees and will do whatever is necessary to take your money.

I advice anyone out there looking for a bank to pass by Suntrust...they have NO committment to providing excellent customer care nor holding themselves responsible for mistakes that they make -- especially when they can reap the benefits.

Vicki

• Mo
                          Moiskess Jun 22, 2010

WE applied for a mortgage back in May 2017. We had gone to Wachovia but they told us that my husband could not get a loan the day we met with them because of time on his new job.. We were told to try Suntrust . We went in and spoke to Jason Bradley. My husband explained he had been out of work for 2 yrs and was recently hired and moving to Chattanooga TN> MR Bradley told my husband no problem we can help. We are a smaller bank and have more ways to get a loan approved. WE believed him. My husband explained over and over again asked him if he was sure, He said he had spoken to an FHA underwriter and she had said no problem.He sent us on our way with a prequalifiaction letter saying my husband was approved. We called every week to check in and give Mr Bradley what he needed as he asked us for information. We found a house and put an offer in on it at the end of April. Bear in mind we had been approved by suntrust back earlier in April when my husband had only been working for 2 weeks. AN FHA loan with 3.5 % down. THe offer was accepted and scheduled to close May 28th... WE had the deposit in escrow and all the inspections done. WE working with Jason and he assures us that there is no problems. My husband asks again, we do not want to pay 400 for an appraisal if we do not qualify for this loan. Again no problem. We ask if he has asked the underwriters if this will happen and he says yes. We are now at May 27th Call Jason to check in and do not hear back until 4.30 pm and tells us our loan has been denied!!! We have talked to two other banks that told us within 24 hours that we would not get a loan unless my husband has been on his job 6 months.

They led us on for 3 months we have incurred so many expenses trying to get a home we were never going to get. I complained but he had no excuses.. Why did it take 3 months for them to tell us 2 days before closing. We would have rented and not incurred the appraisal fees, inspection fees, realtors time and the sellers time. My husband has been in TN for 3 months whilst the rest of us are in NC. We have incurred hundreds of dollars taking trips to TN to look. The bank gave us no good explanation. They also had some guy in the bank go into our account and take out the 400 for the appraisal fee without authorisation from myself or my husband.

We are so disappointed to be run around for 3 months!!! NOt good business but they do not care. I asked Jason to speak to his Supervisor but he would not give me that information Said they were looking into it. I called later that day after telling us he would get back to us by the end of that day, when I called he said it might be another few days before his manger can get answers. We still never heard back.

Notter Nov 19, 2009

I opened a Suntrust bank account a few weeks ago, and within 2 weeks my bank account was overdrawn by a website, and I have never been to the site or heard of it, in fact when I typed it in the address bar it couldnt be found, same for the phone number, yet, when I reported the very first overdraft to Suntrust, they told me I needed to take it up with the site that was charging me. They couldnt do anything. Worse thing is the same site keeps overdrafting, and they havent stopped it yet.

Sun Trust Bank screwing the account holders

I have been a member of SunTrust for more that 15 years. This is the worst Bank, they charge outrageous fees for any and everything, have no loyalty to middle class or poor account holders because they are the ones who are hit with the fees that can be avoid on many terms, because SunTrust doesn't approve many loans for people who are not on the scale of which they think you should be (think about it) they just hit them with fee after fee knowing that this will only damage and leave the middle and poor class account holders in the rears and owing monies that they truly don't have ... ex: Suntrust bounced 5 checks in my account although 4 of them would have cleared with monies left over. They try to tell me that they processed the largest to the smallest ... thats why I was hit with so many fees.

The government is alway investigating something why won't they investigate these banks who are making there lazy shareholders richier by screwing the account holders.

• Mi
                            MichaelTFL Jan 11, 2010

Here's a trick I have used in the past.

After you have written a check, round it up to the next highest dollar and enter that amount in your checkbook. Makes the "match on the go" easier and at tahe end of the month you have a few dollars extra for a movie ticket or a lunch.

Suntrustextended overdraft fees

I had read all the posting on Bank of America. Well I just want to tell you that Suntrust is not much better. Just recently I started seeing "extended" overdraft fees. This is now policy that should you have overdraft anything in your account for more that 7 days, you will get an additional $36 added as a fee. Even if its an item as small as $3.00 Which is what happened to me.

Should there be a cap/percentage according to the dollar amount that bounced. I mean $3!!! That is insane! My $3 dollar item ended up costing me $75! What can we do?? Anything? and has any one taken the time to research who has the cheapest fees and now apparently "exteded" fees? I would like to hear if so!

Suntrust — suntrust fraud banking fee

On August 27th 2009, my husbands Check was Automatically deposited into our Checking account. This Bank took...