Summer Bay ResortI was scammed

Summer Bay Resort - what can I say? Like million others out there, I'm severely burnt and was scammed from this so called vacation package bought from Summer Bay. Someone got to do something about this. Government agency, please do review their business practice, they do not tell you everything when they try hard to sell to you. Next thing you know, you end up burning your pocket for it. I now just gave up on my initial purchase and rather not go to their resort than going there and being scam once more on their Timeshare sales tactic. I'm extremely disappointed with Summer Bay. Please think twice before you buy anything from them.

• Lp
    L-P Cloutier Gauthier May 24, 2008

I was recently (yesterday) solicitated by the Summer Bay Resort company. Even tho i had never heard about them before in the past, they called at my home by my real name . One lady named Sharon Amato told me that i had won some kinda contest for participating a survey on the internet and that i had been chosen to participate in a summer bay resort trip in order to promote the company to all my friends and family in Canada.

I was kinda skeptical as to which kinda scam was that.. anyhow she started to tell me how wonderful the trip there was and making all kinds of promises like that i was going to get two tickets for sterling and Daytona USA. Also that i was getting 4 days and 3 night at summer bay resort and 3 days 2 nights at "Bahama cruise" w/e that is plus some ticket for universal studio or Disney or a 1 week car rental.

That the whole thing was worth 1400, 00$ apparently and that i had 18 months to claim it.Sounded good until she asked me for my Credit Card number over the phone which i obviously refused to divulge because it sounded fishy being called by stranger asking your CC card number. Anyhow i was then transfered to a man who said i had to pay 300, 00$, i told him that i had left my credit card at my dad's house( which was a lie of course) then he prompted me to call him in order to get the CC info.After that point i was unsure what to do... then the man said "what prevents you from giving me the info".
    I answered the guy, please send me a email with the exact details because i cannot make decision right
    now.Then he hanged up the phone and i haven't heard from them since...

I'm just a young guy i never traveled outside Canada, i dunno what kind business practices are these but its not really "cool' to be called over the phone by scammers who promise false stuff or just desperate sale mens trying to make a buck any way possible.

Louis-Philippe Cloutier Gauthier, Montreal QC Canada

• Ad
    Adrian Jun 15, 2008

I just finished the conversation over the phone with one of the Summerbay Resorts Representatives. She called and offered us a free staying for 4 days and 3 nights at the Summerbay Resort and 3days and 2 nights at the Daytona Beach. At the end, she asked me for the CC number which I refused immediately to give to her. I asked her how do I know that she reperesents the summerbay resort or saying to her that this offer sounds too good to be true please, repeat it again to me (thinking this is a SCAM, how they make the money evean if she DOES represent the summerbay resort!?) While she startet to speak about their graet offers, I started to google the "summerbay resort". Quickly I checked some of the links and this website was one of the links. I read two complaints and I told her to stop scamming people around and THIS IS NOT FOR ME. I would like to thank this website for the great help.

• Kj
    KJC Jul 11, 2008

I took a survey and they call just like the rest of yous but they told me that they where from disney vacation center and charge me 149.00 for two adult tickets to disney and to the kennedy space center. I made the mistake to google them after they got me at a bad time for me and a good time for them cause i said yes. So i google them and found out that they are not part of disney. So i'm having my credit card get a refund on it ( i guess good luck to me) Cause i have been trying to call them for a refund and could 'nt get thru

Anne Aug 09, 2008

Way to go everyone. Although I cannot get my money back, I am extremely happy that someone else can escape from their scam. They are eating up $300 of mine, but in return, I made a promise that with that $300 they scam from me, they can be sure that I will bring my concern to this world wide web and at least 3, 000 more people are aware of this. If anyone else in here need any help or information for a refund (if you purchase it within 7 days you are able to get your full refund back), please contact me. If it's too late for a refund and you'd like to file a formal complaint please do so at BBB and 800helpfla.com. This way you'll help others from falling into the same trap.

If you do not have the time to do so, I'll fill out the forms for you (ofcourse your personal information can be filled by you and I will not ask about it). I will help you fill out the complaint portion and get you the right form. All you do is fill out your personal information and you can directly email your complaint. I am willing to do this because I just hate Summer Bay able to get away with this just because people do not have the time or able to get the form to file a formal complaint. It's good that we do it on here, but it'll prompt a law investigation if enough people raised their concerns.

• Ke
    kendra Aug 13, 2008

Summer Bay Resort doesn't serve customers of Canada.

• Ki
    kirsten Oct 14, 2008

i have no idea they gave me there number i got through to them just not the summberbay place.i have called them 6 times n i get the same person n an other number with a different person all the time..soo yea im not sure they sound to good to be true im not sure...

• Ra
    ray Dec 24, 2008

well at least i got off light. they got me for 45.00 for the so called promotion fee as was advertised on the radio. i registered and in a couple of days things had changed at home as things do. i called them to cancel the package and this is when things came to a head. i was transfered to three different numbers then i was put in touch with another number in which a female named nina told me that i would have my refund. well almost a month and guess what??? i called and one guy said nina was not there and started harrasing asking if i was threatening him because he would call the FBI!! i hung up and called again, another person said they had no nina but when i asked for a higher up was given an email address for a person named kerrie their (director of marketing). i am going to send a mail now. in case you want to try here it is [email protected] good luck ray

• It
    itsmecarol Jan 04, 2009

I too got scammed. We bought one of their packages with free nights for $300. The first day we arrived in Orlando, they put us up at the Summer Bay Inn - a roach infested motel - which forced us to pay $$$ to upgrade to a condo at their resort! In Ft lauderdale, they put us up at a resort which was 1 hour from the beach, kept up waiting 90 minutes to start a presentation at 2:30 in the afternoon! and then tried to keep us there for another 2 hours for a timeshare presentation!
    Stay away from this company!!!

• Cj
    CJLChris May 18, 2009

After purchasing a package for $498.00 USD, After agreeing and reading the terms and conditions, After speaking to THEIR LEGAL DEPARTMENT (Mind you THE LEGAL DEPARTMENT WAS NASTY AND RUDE) don't waste your energy fighting..
    For such a company to be in business for 20 years, these people are high powered salespeople..They train their sales people very well, they are quick to take your money, they are quick to hang up the phone on you, they are quick to transfer your phone calls, they are also schreud and use the practice of Florida Time Share laws to prevent you the customer from getting back a refund...(I tried to fight) but it didn't work for me...So folks here is my story.. Just like the rest of you..After purchasing a time share sales vacation package I arranged and booked my travel dates for my mother and I (notice, I SAID MY MOTHER ANd I) both gainfully employed, working..We were refused and turned away* because according to the Summer Bay Resorts Terms and conditions, vacation packages are only for folks age 23 and over and spouses only. Little do they mention, family members are prohibited. Although, their terms and conditions mention married couples and Families are allowed to attend their 90 minute presentations ect. However, I argued this and was told by their lawyers...that the state of Florida Law Time Share "sales" is for Spouses only..I never heard of this, therefore I will enclosed the following...
    Sales Incentives
    Timeshare resorts sometimes offer free lodging to potential buyers in exchange for their attendance at a presentation about properties the developer has for sale. A free Vacation Certificate may be offered by telephone, mail, or from the Internet. Offers vary, but they are often for a three day, two night stay at the resort itself or a nearby hotel. Nearly all offers are subject to certain conditions, including age and income requirements. ***Both spouses*** must usually attend a sales presentation and upon arrival participants are often asked to provide proof of identity. Advance deposits, which may not be refundable, are often required to guarantee the time. Any charge termed a processing fee is probably nonrefundable. If deposit funds are actually called a deposit, refunds may be given at the location or at the end of the stay.

State Regulation
    Most states now regulate timesharing, either under existing state land sale laws or under laws that were specifically enacted for timesharing. The regulating authority is usually the Real Estate Commission in the state where the timeshare property is located.

FLORIDA: Under the Florida Vacation Plan and Timesharing Act, purchasers may cancel Timeshare contracts within 10 calendar days after the date the contract is signed if the seller is notified of the cancellation in writing. Any attempt by the seller to obtain a WAIVER of the cancellation right is void and of no effect. While closing documents may be executed, the closing cannot actually take place until the 10 day cancellation period has expired

• Ga
    Gandhijoel Jan 13, 2010

I too got scammed big time by these criminals. I ordered the ABS rocket from a commercial on TV and was then transferred to this bogus line thinking it was a good deal. I would not be taking this lightly since I have notified most of the fraud departments about this site.

This is the bogus customer service number : [protected] in the USA

• Wa
    wade-ar06 Feb 16, 2010

well i got scammed from the sounds of it! too. but i havnt tried to get in touch with them! and it sounds like it will be a waste of time trying! i have also been sacammed for 3000$ on some other scams WTF

• Gl
    Glanbia Feb 28, 2010

Has anyone out there had a good time at Summer Bay or is it all bad news. I bought package last June but have not taken up any of the offers yet. I would have to fly from Ireland. Reading comments from others who have gotten stung should i just forget all about it. M

• Os
    oshe Mar 31, 2010

i have just got off the phone from them i was speaking to an operator named nina cruz, when she had confirmed my claim was ok she then put me on to hwr manager who was going through the package details with me i apparently won a $3000 shopping spree voucher or something to that effect.when she had gone through most of the details which was part a 7 day free car rental she said i need a valid drivers licence and major credit card which she then asked if i had i said no but my partner does she then said sorry but maybe i could holiday with them at another time as these were requirements for the package she then literally hung up on me so i think yes it is a scam and luckily i didnt get caught i always get these you won pop-ups on the computer and never do anything and just this time i said id check it out but in future i will just ignore any offer that sounds to good to be true

• So
    Sookie Cookie Mar 31, 2010

If you want something look for the business yourself and get refferals from friends and family.

Never accept something that comes from your email, regular mail, or above all a phone call from someone you did not give your number too. Even if you had put your name in for a contest, decline...

I am sorry to hear all of these complaints. Be careful in every way, especially when it comes down your money.

My friend said when she checked into a 90 minute timeshare seminar she did not pay anything up front. She was offered a free trip with no obligations. She then can decide if she wants there time share or not.

Check out there resorts first yourself then see if that is what you want to do.

Always check the BBB in these situations and these awesome sites. I would do this for any businses you are looking to invest in.

I hope everyone from here on will not get scammed again.

I almost got scammed today. I called a friend that has a time share and she sent me this website. Thank god for your friends support..

• Sy
    Sylvia, in Los Angeles Apr 21, 2010

I absolutely agree with the complaints and will be filing with the Better Business Bureau. My husband erroneously called this company when they announced a "contest" on the radio. Unfortunately he was very gullible and thought he had won tickets to DisneyWorld in Orlando, FL. The scam was that all he had to pay for was the taxes and he gave them his credit card information. He called me right away to give me the "good news" but I told him it was ridiculous because we were in Los Angeles and couldn't afford the airfare to fly us out there. I told him to call right back to cancel it and they said it was non-refundable! Supposedly we had 2 years to call in and use those tickets but when the time was almost due I wanted to see what information they had for us and none of their phone numbers worked! All of them were out of service. That scam cost us over $300.00US. Now, another company is contacting him saying that Summer Bay Resort was a fraud but that THEY have a better package! if we would only pay the difference of $100+ because prices have gone up! My husband told them he had to talk to me first and did not give them any information. During the course of the following hour, they called him back 4 times! trying to get his info. Well, he learned the first time and did not give them any credit card information. You know something is not right when a company is harrasing you for a sale. They are desperate. No honest, reputable company is going to behave in that manner.

saincilia aly Jul 24, 2010

my name is saincilia aly.last night a gentle man called me then he hang up.please call me back using the same number.thank you

saincilia aly Jul 24, 2010

my name is saincilia aly.i won. and someone call me and then he hanged up. plese call me back.

• Si
    sick of whining Jul 26, 2010

this is funny to me how a group of people can complain so much and not say anything this is a great company I had a blast with my vacation package. I think you are all a bunch of losers with a gripe and wanna complain for nothing

• Ra
    rachaellst Aug 24, 2010

I bought the same package from summer bay, they had us stay at Calypso cay resort that is about a hundred years old disgusting and the worst place I have ever been. The bed was like sleeping on box springs but was lumpy. The tub was so stained dirty they had to put bath mat in it. We checked out early but not before Summer bay charged me taxes when I made the reservation and then I had to pay taxes at the hotel or they would not check us in. We went to the timeshare presentation, which said they bought our names from summer bay so it wasn't their fault. so I guess summer bay is selling names if you dont choose to pay the extra money to stay at their condo. This was a horrible thing. I will say we got the 2 disney tickets but that is about it. I am sure we wont get to go to all of the other trips that were promised, oh yeah I forgot you do have to go to a timeshare presentation at each place they tell you they are giving to you for the cost of $300 bucks. What a huge scam.

MALITO Aug 25, 2010

WOW THIS SO CALLED SUMMER BAY PACKAGE SOUNDED LIKE A DEAL OF A LIFE TIME, JUST AN HOUR AGO I THOUGHT I'D BE CHILLEN IN COSTA RICA SMOKING COHIBAS BUT HA HA SHAME ON ME FOR BELIEVING THAT CRAP!! I KNEW IT WAS A SCAM FROM THE MOMENT THAT REPRESENTIVE DUDE JEFF SAID IF HE COULD GAIN 2% OF MY TRUST THE OTHER 98% WILL BE GUARANTEED! OR SOMETHING LIKE THAT..LOL I DECIDED TO TEST THEM ON THERE PROPOSAL AND SAID NAW I NEED TIME TO RESEARCH AND THINK ABOUT YOUR OFFER, SURE ENOUGH JEFF PUTS ANOTHER GUY ON THE PHONE. SOME GUY NAMED ADAM MONROE, S*#* I GIVE HIM HIS PROPS BECAUSE HE COULD TALK SOME GAME! LOL MR. MONROE GAVE ME HIS DIRECT LINE [protected] AND TOLD ME TO CALL HIM WITH-IN THE HOUR WITH MY ANSWER. THE ICING ON THE CAKE IS WHEN SOME GIRL ANSWERED THE PHONE AND ASKED WHAT MY CALL WAS CONCERNING "DEFENSIVE". I TOLD HER IT WAS ABOUT THE ORLANDO/COSTA RICA PACKAGE, SHE TOLD ME TO HOLD AND IN A SPLIT SECOND PASSED THE PHONE TO MR. MONROE WHICH KINDA SOUNDED LIKE HE WAS PROBABLY A LITTLE BUSY WITH THE GIRL THAT PICKED UP HIS PHONE!LOL IN THE MIDST OF CALLING I JUST HAPPEN TO BE LOOKING AT THIS VERY PAGE AND LAUGHED AT HIS SCAM, I SAID WOW IT LOOKS LIKE SUMMER BAY IS A FRUAD IMAGINE THAT! HIS RESPONSE WAS WERE NOT A FRUAD WE ARE SUPPORTED FEDERALY AND BY THE STATE, THEN GAVE ME SOME SO CALLED DATA BASE NUMBER! IT RANG AND RANG.. THANK GOD I NEVER WENT THROUGH WITH THAT SO CALLED DEAL OF A LIFE TIME. PS. IM GLAD IM NOT THE ONLY ONE WHO CAUGHT ON TO THERE SCAM, FOR THOSE THAT GOT SCAMMED I WISH YOU ALL THE LUCK ON PERSUING THEM ON A LAW SUIT AND GETTING A REFUND. BEWARE OF THE GOOD TALKING CON- MAN!!!

anonymous 333 Dec 27, 2010

It's not a scam! I took the vacations. When I arrived I was required to attend a "90 minute presentation" of the resort which is actually a timeshare sales pitch. The reason summer bay can offer all these trips for such a low price is the required attendance of one of these sales presentations at each place. 1 out of 10 people invest in the resort which is how the resort makes its money off of these vacations plus You dont get the disney tickets or daytona 500 experience passes or dinner vouchers or ANY of the gifts unless you attend the presenation but as soon as the sales presentation is over, approximately 90 minutes, I got my gifts and the rest of the vacation was great. The timeshare/vacation ownership presentation was a minor inconvenience but I got to visit Orlando Fl, Daytona Beach Fl, and Costa Rica and all I had to invest was a little bit of time for the vacation vs. thousands of dollars so all I can say is THANKS SUMMER BAY! Had a WONDERFUL time!

• Me
    Megan Whelpley Jan 11, 2011

I bought the Florida package a year ago and actually forgot about it until I got a call today to tell me my package was going to expire. Then this guy gets on the phone to offer me Costa Rica at $800 plus $200 booking fee. I told him I couldn't spend that kinda money without researching more and talking to my boyfriend. He stayed on the phone with me for about 45 mins and kept raising the price of poker. HIs final offer was an all inclusive Costa Rico vacation for 5days/4nights, an all inclusive Cancun Vacation for 5 days/4nights, extending the amount of time I can take these trips and my original FLorida package for 3 years AND a bonus week at any of the 28 locations they have in the continental US for $500 (plus $200 for booking Cancun and $200 for booking Costa Rica when I was ready to travel). Now, if this was true it woulda been AMAZING and the deal of a lifetime - the perfect honey moon as I expect to be married in the 3 year time frae- but while he was talking I got online and read threw a few of these reports so I finally hung up on him! I'm pretty sure I saved myself $500! :) NOw I'm worried about actually getting my Florida vacation...

• Lo
    love summer bay Feb 13, 2011

WOW iam sorry all you guys had a bad experiance, This isnt a scam They just dont give you all the information when they try to sell it to you. You have to kbo wat questions to ask and go from thre. Ive had my timeshare since 2008 been to gatlinburg TN, Orlando, and the bahamas, getting ready to go to costa RicA. Me and my husband r currrently thinking about buying a timeshare from them, I guess we were one of the lucky ones. Thank god. Mabe its me i alwlays ask a crap load of questions and never get pressured into anything. I feel for every single one of you and i hope and pray you all will get this resolved. oh and peop[le you have to go to the 90 min meeting if you dont then you preety much f#[email protected] yourself.

• Cm
    CMO Apr 02, 2011

You're an idiot, and obviously a shill for this fraud.

• Lo
    love summer bay Apr 03, 2011

Awww Someones upset.. No Iam not an idiot but ill let you belive that to make yourself feel better, about yourself because its obvious you have low self esteem. and nothing to do. Obviously your the idiot if i said i didnt have a problem with these people i thinks its preety obvious for an intelligent person like you to say, hey if this person didnt have any problems and didnt pay outragously for the beautiful trip me and my husband went on, Oh and by the way the hotel was beautiful, someone might say wat ever scam is going around i was one of the lucky ones.this is y iam not an idiot because if i was i would of ended up like you. Oh and by the way if you let someone take advantage of you thats wat there gonna do. Im done i have way more inportant things to do than to sit here and go back and forth with you. i have meaning to my life.

• Va
    vanidol Apr 09, 2011

i was made a fool n da package is a fake charged me 700

• Cm
    cm11 Apr 12, 2011

It's a big scam - file your complaints here:

Attorney General of Florida

Fraud Hotline
    [protected]

• Th
    The Kin May 10, 2011

Better Business Bureaus across the United States and Canada are warning consumers about an increase in deceptive travel-related offers.

Consumers are contacting the BBB to inquire about travel companies that promise "too-good-to-be-true" travel deals. These offers arrive unexpectedly in consumers' mailboxes, or over the telephone, office fax machine or Internet.

Typically, the consumer is told that they have won a "free" trip and must call a number to claim their prize. Or they receive a fax at their place of business promoting an unbelievable vacation deal that looks as if it came through inter-office channels. Others were contacted by someone offering a travel club membership, allegedly worth thousand of dollars.

According to BBB experiences, some bogus promoters have been known to take consumers' money, without providing the travel or trip that was promised. Other promoters advertise rock-bottom prices, but hide certain fees until the deal is sealed. Some promise luxurious accommodations and services, but deliver far less. Still others don't reveal that the deal includes an obligation to sit through a timeshare pitch at the destination. Finally, some promoters guarantee consumers that they can get a full refund if they decide to cancel the trip, but fail to make good on their promise.

Consumers are encouraged to obtain the names, addresses and telephone numbers for the lodgings, airlines and cruise ships advertised in a vacation promotion.

Fraudulent travel deals can be hard to distinguish from legitimate ones. Their intent is to lure people into buying vacations that they otherwise would not consider.

The BBB recommends that consumers get the details of the promotion in writing, including the refund and cancellation policy, before they send a check or provide credit card number information. If asked to provide a credit card or bank account number for verification or identification, the BBB says to reconsider. This information can be used to make fraudulent charges or debits to the consumer's accounts.

If you are tempted to respond to online travel solicitations, the BBB recommends that you not judge the agency solely by the appearance of its website. Online travel scams are increasing in part because it is easy to disguise your identity in cyberspace.

• La
    Latasha sanders Jul 25, 2011

My response is a little different because I received a call from
    summer bay in 2008 I purchased a package from them but when they called me I talked them down to $240 and I went to kissimee, fl by orlando for my bday yes I had to do the 90min thing and they tried to get me to purchase the time share but I didnt and my stay was in a pretty nice holiday inn on their trsort and they took us on a tour of the actual resort which was nuce...i did receive my free disney world tickets...i had no problems niw I do hsve a couple other trips, left which im supposed to be able to pay $50 to extend my package for another year and I wanted to take my mom and brothers to flordia but I dont know bout that now...but I may use it and take them to gatlinburg because I just left there and I actually saw summer bays condos there...so I rralky dont know...i guess it depends on where u go...

• Me
    [email protected] Feb 15, 2016

I have 6 people instead of 5. Would I get caught if I take the other child in? Will they know this? Please respond as we are going soon

• Su
    Susan Grealy Jun 05, 2016

I was contacted via facebook. A pretty page flashed up saying "congratulations You just won a holiday worth $3000. I had 4 minutes to call them. I thought that it must be a scam but called them anyway. The ladies I spoke to convinced me that it was a genuine offer and I got caught up in the excitement. I haven't had a holiday anywhere for years. I gave them my credit card details and they took $ 1, 550.00 Australian. I am now really worried and am afraid I wont get my money back. I don't know what I was thinking, I can't afford to do this. Anyway I contacted my bank and they have frozen my account so at least they wont be able to take any more money. The bank is looking into getting the money back. If I don't get it back I guess I will have to go and hope for the best. I'm worried I'll get there and there will be no such place.

• Je
    Jean Jun 22, 2016

I paid for a discounted vacation getaway through my work and it was for Summer Bay Resoprts in Orlando, FL. I never got to stay there after the vacation sales a$%holes confirmed it 4 times on the phone with me. I was baited and switched when I got to the welcome center to the Ramada Hotel in Kissimmee, and the hotel staff was terrible, unfriendly, unhappy, hated their job. The hotel itself stunk, dirty, and things left evrywhere. The *** part was. Summer Bay sent me to their competitor "vacation village." I can't believe they sell these packages to people and rip us off so much. We have such mean inconsiderate people working the United States. I felt so unappreciated and unwelcomed. I hate this company so much. The reps just basically laughed in my face and spit on me.