Stein Martreturn policy

I purchased a pair of sandals four years ago that I've only worn THREE times. I have the original receipt & the original box, still with the silicone packets in it. The metallic trim on one of the sandals has come undone & cannot be easily fixed. Thus, they are not wearable. Other than the loose trim, the sandals still look brand new. The store manager told me that since the item is "not in their system, " they cannot do anything about it. I paid over $40 for the sandals. I would be satisfied with a partial refund or partial in-store credit, but they were not helpful at all. I have returned items at a discount store (Ross) in a similar situation. SteinMart is supposed to be a high-end store. However, they have terrible customer service. I will NEVER shop there again.

• L
      Mar 10, 2011
    Steinmart - Magazine Renewal
    Steinmart
    Dublin
    Ohio

I was told I would receive a free subscription to People magazine while shopping at Steinmart. I notice there is now an unthorized charge of $60.98 on my checking account. I do plan to contact Steinmart and give them a piece of my mind!!!

Mar 13, 2011

I had the same thing for the same magazine happen overnight last night. Woke up this morning and the teeny bit of money I had left in my checking account to get me through the next week was taken by people magazine. I figured, like with other magazine offers, that at the end of the trial period I would recieve a notice in the mail (Like I have for a dozen other magazines I've been receiving without ordering). If that notice wasn't sent back to the company with a check or cc number to charge it too that meant I WASN'T INTERESTED. I didn't worry about it until now. The woman at Steinmart who signed me up said they were taking phone numbers to give those customers who did sign up a courtesy call when the trial period was about to end to give me a opportunity to cancel. Never received that call. Please post what you find out.

Jul 11, 2011

Yes, I can expect that! Read my complaint again. I wore them THREE times. They cost over $40. SteinMart is supposed to be a "high-end" store. They need to do a better job with customer service and stand behind the merchandise they sell. Again, as stated, a discount store (Ross) treats their customers better than SteinMart!

Jul 11, 2011

you wore them only 3 times but you had them 4 years. They can not resell them because they no longer carry them. You want a refund? if you went to court you would get the depreaciated value of the item maybe 15 dollars.

Jul 11, 2011

Hey, $15 is better than NOTHING! I said I'd be happy with a partial in-store credit. (I certainly wouldn't take this case to court, BTW, nor do I think SteinMart would try to resell shoes that have been worn.) Interestingly, since submitting my complaint, I've found MANY on-line complaints about SteinMart. It appears they have a serious problem with poor customer service.

Jul 11, 2011

If it was loose trim why not get it fixed? Seems like you have it in your head the customer is always right and should always get what they want. If that was the case then why would a store put up a return policy that not only you but everyone must follow. If the employee took them back and gave you even 10 bucks and the DM found out they could be fired, it is the policy of the store not the employee

Jul 11, 2011

Calm down people! No need for the smart-aleck comments. Remember the saying about Karma...No, I don't have a "serious problem telling time." No I "don't have it in my head the customer is always right, " etc. Not that it is significant to my complaint, but the trim is delicate, metallic, tiny, and loops around the leather in an intricate pattern. Send me your address, and I'll gladly pay you to fix it for me. Glad I could provide a laugh. My satisfaction is that the complaint is out here, and word of mouth works. As stated previously, there are many on-line complaints about SteinMart's customer service. This is just one more for potential customers to consider.

Jul 11, 2011

the fact is the return policy stands, people love to complain and think they should be the exception to the rule.

Jul 11, 2011

No, I do NOT think I'm the exception to the rule. Apparently you rude people either did not read the whole complaint or have difficulty with comprehension. Read this slowly now and let it sink in...If you want to get technical, THE RETURN POLICY ON THE RECEIPT CLEARLY STATES IN WRITING THAT RETURNS AFTER 60 DAYS WILL GET IN-STORE CREDIT. There is NO TIME LIMIT. It would be one thing if I wore them often; then I wouldn't complain. $40 sandals should not fall apart after three wearings.

Jul 11, 2011

Then call the company that made the sandels, since it sounds like they were not made right...and you are not understanding yes there is no time limit but 4 years is too long end of story

Jul 11, 2011

I did e-mail the company and am waiting on a response. If there is NO time limit, four years is not too long. AGAIN, AS STATED, other stores honor their return policies. I'm not asking for anything excessive.

Jul 11, 2011

follow me, they no longer sell them they give you money or a credit and you win but they lose, and if they do that too much they are out of business...even though they were only worn 4 times they were worn, no store will take back worn shoes

Jul 11, 2011

Gatortracks: Ummm...because they didn't fall apart at the 60-day mark?!? AGAIN, AS STATED, I don't wear them often. Thus, I don't pull them out of the box every other day to inspect them. Do you inspect the items you purchased in that manner? The complaint may not be valid to you, but is not unreasonable.

They're not a pair of Manolo Blahnik's from Neiman Marcus

Feb 21, 2012

OMG I had to read this again even Nordstrom who I think has the best customer service in the WORLD would not take these back it's just gross of you to think that Stein Mart would! In law there is legal guilt not moral guilt and legal guilt is based on evidence that being said... 1. I doubt you would find a legal precedent for your return and 2. it's vulgar to think a store "should" take back 4 yr old shoes *that have been worn* makes me sad. I would never ask this of a merchant...

Feb 21, 2012

don't know why that post came out all messed up...

Aug 05, 2013

Your stupid its been years shut the ### up with your cheap 40 dollar shoes

Sep 06, 2013

Steinmart's policy is that we can give you store credit IF we have item in system. Shoes that are 4 years old were marked out of stock. Also, after 4 years, the item is worth .01. It seems to me what you did is decided that you didn't want the ahoes afyer 4 years and thought you could beratw the employees into giving you something for them. You are being ridiculous.

Sep 06, 2013

Also, the store credit technicality is we cam give you the current selling price on a merchandise credit. Thus, after 4 years, the selling price is .01

Dec 07, 2014

Stein Mart's Return Policy is pretty clear:
    - If you are not satisfied with a Stein Mart purchase, return it with a valid receipt within 60 days. Depending on your method of payment, we will refund the purchase price via a cash refund, an eCredit or a credit to your charge card.
    - After 60 days, you can return a Stein Mart purchase accompanied by a valid receipt for the current selling price. Depending on your method of payment, you will receive an exchange, credit or refund.

AFTER 60 DAYS YOU CAN RETURN A STEIN MART PURCHASE ACCOMPANIED BY A VALID RECEIPT FOR THE CURRENT SELLING PRICE!

Trying to return something after four years is absolutely ridiculous.