Complaints & Reviews

their food made us sick as dogs

Last night me, my husband and daughter of 2yrs and 6 months went out for supper at Spur! We are regular clients of Spur at the Lemon Tree and love the food but last night we decided to go to the one nearest to us wich is Spur at Brackenhurst. The food wasn't up to standard but we ate it not thinking we would be as sick as a dog! My husband, daughter and myself have runny tummies, vomiting and bad tummy cramps. I am so disappointed and discusted and upset!! Thinking we would treat our child taking her to spur, instead she got sick and had to be rushed to the docter this morning!!! Is this what you get when you go out for supper to Spur. Should I just make a doctor's appointment before I ever go to Spur again? Pls note the food we ate was the special eat as much as you like ribs and wings. Is this on special because they give you food that has already gone off?

• Do
    Doxy Jun 24, 2016

Managers shouting at the waitrons infront of customers in spur pinetown. Is this how horrible you treat your waitrons at Spur? A fat lady that I was told she is a manager, She was wearing a used to be white shirt shouted at the waitrons infront of us customers how is that suppose to mean to us. Firstly she was not in a good standard of being a manager judging from her attitude towards waitrons, horrible hair and dirty uniform. What happened to hygiene and worse she is the Manager.Really??????? How can a manager be so dirty as if she didn't even bath no man the boss of this Spur must do something about this unless it allowed. This thing of abusing a staff infront of customers must stop. Even if you always do it but don't show us customers. We are not intrested. The only thing we came here to do is to enjoy our meals and leave. We don't need to see your true colours on how you treat your staff.

had to wait forever to receive out order

I went to the Spur at Montecasino during my lunch time and specifically told the waiter that we were on lunch so that we would receive the food in time. About 40 minutes later we still did not receive the food and i noticed that the people that came in 15 minutes after we did received their food. i called the waiter and asked him where the food is and also complained about the people getting there after us and receiving their food before us, i asked for the bill of the drinks we had and he insisted we should still eat, he returned without the bill but with the food about 5 minutes later. the manager (Norman) was then called in and I explained what happened, he apologised but still, i came back to work without eating that day and spent about 55 minutes in the restuarant. definitely not good service.

I will never in my life again waste my money at a spur

To add to a similar complaint here, I would like to add some useful advise, instead of just moaning.

1. Communicate with your branches on the exact terms and conditions of your specials. Depending on which waiter you talk to, 'sharing allowed' becomes 'no sharing'... a pretty important point of the terms, but the waiters seem to do a thumbsuck on the spot and then choose the option they think makes the most sense.

2. Dont treat your customers like children. I was told by the waiter that I 'need to eat all my food', as a doggy bag for left-overs is not allowed. Apparently the Doggy bag counts as a take away. This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard in my 20 years as an adult restaurant customer. When I confronted the manager about this, she confirmed this nonsense. When I told her that it is obscene to tell a customer that he cant take his leftovers (that he paid for) home, she just shrugged and mumbled something.

And please don't bother offering me your 'free-meal give-the-customer-a-pat-on-the-head' rubbish. I will never in my life again waste my money at a Spur.

• Mu
    munchkin.al Jul 10, 2015

good day, my recent visit to Spur MIAMI, at the Umhlanga Sands, Durban, South Africa, was extremely mediocre.
    to start with drinks arriving 30 minutes later when order, , service through out the entire dining experience was frustrating, we hardly ever saw our waiter, had to literally wave him down, if we needed anything, and the water requested, never arrived, being a vegetarian, i compromise and attend your spur ranches, as my husband is a big steak fan. we had guests visiting from England as well.. i usually order the vegetarian option to the quesadilla and price is normally lower than the beef or chicken option, that is my usual order . last night, i ordered same, but was charged at the chicken rate, which i found totally unacceptable, i explainted to the waiter that i normally get a discounted price, as it is a vegetarian option, he then called on the manager, Graham, who was rather emotionless and non helpful. he told me that they do not have a vegetarian option price for the quesadilla and hands me the bill and says :THIS IS YOUR BILL, KINDLY SETTLE IT.. i was rather infuriated at this point, and asked, how can a vegatarian pay the same price as a meat dish, it is not logical, and considering that this is my usual order, and the price is always compromised due to being the vegetarian option??all he said was, he did not appreciate my tone, as i used the word B.S, and asked me to settle my bill.. it is a matter of principal, as Spur has always been accomodating and last nights experience has left a very very bitter taste..

rather disapointed!!!

• He
    henry2008 Aug 31, 2015

Good day.
    On the 28th of August 2015, At Arapaho Spur, One barbaric, jagged, and irresponsible waiter vandalises the finger -print sensor on one of the computers. The action that follows hurts me: All the waiters are made to pay a massive amount of R50 for the replacement.
    Is this constitutional? The constitution states that of South Africa Section 23(1) states: that "everyone has the right to fair labour practices." Is it proper or fair for the innocent to pay for the sabotage of the stupid waiter who committed the act? This act of making all waiters paying that gigantic amount portrays adverse violation of waiters’ rights and breach of waiter contract.
    Since there are cameras in the shop, why don’t the managers investigate and find out who did this gruesome deed? Take correct measures to punish the barbarian?
    Fifty rand is a lot of money to some of us. At this time of the month we labour hard for our rents. This deduction has surely drawn us back. We are extremely furious about this whole scenario. Hope you will find a better constitutional fair approach to this problem.
    Sincerely,
    A team, (Anonymous furious, fuming, angry waiters)

• El
    Elizabeth King Jun 26, 2017

After having a disgusting meal at Spuir Golden Falls with two guests I wrote a complaint. In response they said there was a R200 voucher waiting for me at that branch so I decided to treat four old age pensioners and also my original guests to enjoy a waffle and syrup and tea or coffee as this had been delicious on a previous visit. Asked for coffee and tea to served WITH the waffles - it arrived 20 minutes BEFORE so was cold or finished by the time waffles arrived. Waffles were pale and undercooked and served with some disgusting looking sweet stuff in a jug - MOST DEFINITELY NOT SYRUP! When I asked the waitress what this was she shrugged (don't think she understood English). The waffles were not edible and the jam or whatever spoilt it even more. When the bill eventually arrived it was for the full amount. I then told the person at the till that there was supposed to be a discount for a voucher he then supplied R150 voucher. Again I complained and this time he deducted the R200 as I had been promised from the bill. ! Not a happy experience all round and doubt for any of my guests will ever visit Spur again.

• Tu
    tunhidzai Mar 06, 2018

goodday to you i visited your branch on saturday for lunch and the store was busy since we had to wait to be taken inside as soon as we got a seat our waiter came and introduced himself as pleton with vibey so much that you feel at home away from home.the waiter qiuckly offered us drinks and in no time he delivered our beverages with smile.having been visited your branch so often let me say this was an exprience which many customers dont get at this day and age.i feel you have the best team in your store for the right job, very friendly and passionate in what they do.lastly my daughter was offered a club card which the waiter said every visit to any spur she gets a free soda and receive a voucher on her birthday.so much informed beyond par.keep up the good work ottawa!!!

terrible service and awful quality of food

Went for dinner at the above Spur. Ordered our meals. I ordered a 500g T-bone and was brought a 500g rump. I accepted the rump but it was about 4mm thick and the skittle it was on was so hot the steak was burnt and full of sinu, worst cut i have ever seen. The vegetables that were brought out, the spinich was hot but the pumpkin was cold. we sent it back and they reheated it in the microwave and brought it back. We ordered the kebab meal and they too were cold, sent them back they also just put it in the microwave and returned the meal. i then replaced the rump with the t-bone and the skittle was then so cold that the meat was not kept warm. this was changed but by the time the above 2 meals were sorted and put on the table my wife had already finished her meal. The drinks, ordered a gin and dry lemon and the drink was just brought out gin in a glass with no ice. The overall quality of the meal was awful, the service was terrible almost non existent. It seems that the quality of the Spur in Jhb, where we go regularly and have never had any problems, and the one above and not nearly the same. We were made to feel like we were doing something wrong for not excepting the situation.

The waitress was completely disinterested in our table, didn't clear anything, simply slapped down doggy bag boxes on the table for us to put our food into, and then rung up a wrong (higher) price. We understand if it was not her fault, but we did not even receive an apology from her. The manager was kind enough come talk to us and apologise, but the waitress made us constantly feel as if we shouldn't ask her for a thing and that we owed her something.

this is the worst manager we have ever encountered at a spur in many years

My wife got an SMS on 01 September 2009 to say our daughter is due for her R35 birthday discount. We went to the Burning Spear tonight and showed the card and SMS. The poor waitress tried her best, but said that the card was not activated.

We have used this card for many times. We asked the help of the male manager. He was apathetic. He said the card showed that her birthday was on 25 December, not September. The SMS was correct that her birthday is on 25 September. He simply shrugged his shoulders and said that the SMSs are often wrong. He then attended to the next customer.

We would have expected that he at least gave our 9-year-old a lucky packet or a kind explanation. He also did not offer to sort out the matter on Monday.

One of the main attractions of Spurs is that they cater for families with young children. They commit themselves when one applies for a Secret Tribe Card and they send one the card. Please attend to the bugs in the system.

This is the worst manager we have ever encountered at a Spur in many years.

service that left a lot to be desired

I went to the Spur at Howard Centre, Pinelands yesterday to meet up with a buddy of mine, I was early, and was seated after waiting about 5 minutes in the front, fine, no hassles.

Once seated, the waitress walked past me once and greeted, and just carried on, and then my wait began. I waited 20 minutes for someone to come and offer me menu's, whilst there were 2 waiters at the till messing around with each other. Had I not been there to meet someone, I would have walked straight out!

The person I was meeting came, and we waited a further 15 minutes before I managed to get someone to bring menu's and take our order. The order was incorrect, of poor quality, lax service, took even longer for the plates to be removed, and there was no friendly interaction. This is not the quality of Spur that I've come to expect! Someone needs a bit of a wake-up call there!

• Li
    Lizl scott Jan 06, 2019

Today at Spur Clear waters amanzimtoti

Im a bit dissapointed, we were having spur cheeseburgers and my daughter a pizza, we all have running tummys except for her. And that was the only food we had today and upset for paying 430rand and we are all sick.

Very bad service

Lizl Scott

• El
    Elmarie33 Jul 18, 2019

I'm so disgusted with the raw Chicken I received. We ordered the food and within 10 min it was on the table? All I got was not to pay for my food and a free milkshake. I wonder what will happen if I post this all over on social media

• Fa
    Fadwad Aug 11, 2019

I bought a supper at Spur in Claremont and firstly waited an hour to be seated as well as waited an hour for my food which arrived cold and to top it off I ordered ribs and I got sick of it left Spur and couldn't stop vomiting because the ribs were fatty and cold the service was terrible and the food was cold

Cheniel Aug 14, 2019

This is a "full" portion of the peppermint crisp tart, I never saw this in my life, I ate the half portion just a few days ago at a different Spur and that half was bigger than this full one. I am extremely dissapointed with the product received. I can attach pictures of the food...this is not okay at all.

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices