SoundCloudLack of refund and termination of repost services.

M Sep 23, 2021

I purchased SoundCloud's repost program over a year ago and, on September 7th, I decided to purchase their Pro Unlimited service.

On 16 September I received a "Notice of Termination" because my partner decided she wanted to stream my songs on our shared computer. See the following emails copy-pasted below this paragraph:

Matt Whitehead
Thu 2021-09-23 12:33 PM
https://help.soundcloud.com/hc/en-us/articles/360051644934-Pro-Unlimited-30-day-money-back-guarantee#:~:text=For%20this%2030%20day%20money, back%20in%20your%20bank%20account.

Here's my receipt. That was on Sept 7 this year and the first time I've ever gotten pro unlimited. Give me back my money.

Pro Unlimited 30 day money back guarantee - SoundCloud Help Center
Each SoundCloud account is allowed one money back guarantee period for Pro Unlimited subscriptions. For this 30 day money back guarantee, we will charge your account right away for the Pro Unlimited subscription but you will receive your money back automatically if you cancel within the first 30 days.
help.soundcloud.com

Support
Thu 2021-09-23 12:22 PM
##- Please type your reply above this line -##
Please note: Our emails function as a ticketing system and standard email client behaviour may not occur as expected. Any email address you remove from CC will not be excluded from the ticket thread, despite appearing to do so. Additionally, email recipients may not see all parties on CC. Please be aware of this if sharing sensitive information whilst other parties are on CC.

Your request (1719463) has been updated. To add additional comments, reply to this email.

Sep 23, 2021, 21:22 GMT+2

Hey there,

Thanks for writing in to us.

The yearly SoundCloud Pro subscription on your account was not reported to us within our refund policy window which unfortunately means we cannot offer you a refund at this stage - feel free to cancel your subscription by logging into your account using a computer and going to soundcloud.com/you/subscriptions to avoid further billing.

Best,
Sam​

Sep 23, 2021, 21:18 GMT+2

Hey dicks,

I cancelled my pro+ account and haven't seen any remuneration yet. When should I expect to see my money? Or are you guys just as useless at refunds as you are at customer service?

________________________________
Sent: September 23, 2021 9:52 AM

Sep 23, 2021, 19:20 GMT+2

It's against policy for people to put tracks on repeat in a browser? Good to know. I will make sure I let as many people know about this as soon as possible.

The good news is that I have learned about distrokid and other companies that allow musicians to distribute their music and the musicians get to keep 100% of the royalties.

I would have been happy to continue with SoundCloud and repost, but you've tied my hands with your absolute inability to understand that I didn't have any bots doing anything. I've explained my side and you have come back with, "I don't understand how putting a 2.5 minute song on repeat can earn around 1100 plays a day because somebody else decided to use their own account to repeat the song on two browsers." There are 1440 minutes in a day and an average of 1100 plays during that time which lines up with two accounts playing Booze Sick on repeat. I've already explained this to you but you're not willing to accept that as a reality.

You know how I figured out how many plays there were a day and how to figure out how many minutes there are in a day? Well, you go to the "insights" section in SoundCloud and then you can see the plays. Then! This is the doozy... You have to use math. There are 24 hours in a day. There are 60 minutes in an hour. 24 times 60 equals 1440. Take that and divide it by 2. That is 720. I told you that two browsers were playing a 2.5 minute song so that seems to line up here with answering how that many plays were earned on a song.

Those plays stopped the moment you sent the termination email without any form of, "hey, something is fishy here. Could you explain what's going on?" Just a "you're fired" right out of the gate.

I've probably written to much for you to comprehend here so I'll cut it out here. You're horrible at your job and your company has the most pathetic forms of customer service I've ever experienced.

This has been a most unwelcome experience. Thank you for providing stress, annoyance, and the knowledge that SoundCloud operations are breakable by simply putting tracks on repeat.

Have a terrible day

Date: Thu., Sep. 23, 2021, 09:52

Sep 23, 2021, 18:52 GMT+2

Hi there,

There is nothing more we can do for you here.

There are accounts that played the track over 15k times. This is against our policy.

All the best,

Sep 23, 2021, 17:48 GMT+2

WHAT AM I SUPPOSED TO PROVIDE!?

Here is what happened. Opened Google chrome. Signed in. Pushed play. Pushed repeat.

That is it. What is your problem? How do I provide anything else?

This is the most pathetic correspondence I've experienced. You terminated my account and I have done everything I can to cooperate with your garbage customer services.

It's good to know that other accounts have the power to terminate SoundCloud repost accounts just by playing music. Your bots also prevented me from signing in last night because it said "our robots think you're a robot" which seems in line with the poor service I've been experiencing since receiving this garbage email.

My money back guarantee is coming up for my pro+ account so can you let me know if you guys are going to pull your heads out of your butts and let me have my repost account back in the next day?

I'm not losing money because you guys suck.

All the worst,

Date: Thu., Sep. 23, 2021, 08:34

Sep 23, 2021, 17:34 GMT+2

Hey Matt,

After looking into this, our team established that your account has fake plays.

Please provide any promotion tools you used.

Sep 22, 2021, 22:50 GMT+2

Hey Sam,

Thanks for your response. I apologize for my attitude here, I'm rather stressed out by this and have a release ready and a few more that will be ready in the coming days.

I am fully cooperating with delivering any and all sources because the only source was my partner's streams. That is it.

You should see that my plays match the correspondence received from you and it is obvious that there was 2 accounts just repeating plays. That's it. There were no programs used besides the browsers Google Chrome and Safari. She simply repeated tracks. That's it. That has stopped from the moment of receiving the first email.

There is no language that I could find regarding other people choosing to repeat plays. That is all she did and that has stopped.

I can't provide anything further because there isn't anything further.

Thanks for your time and take care,

Date: Wed., Sep. 22, 2021, 12:45

Sep 22, 2021, 21:45 GMT+2

I have submitted a request for more clarity on this matter to our rights team.

I will follow up if any additional information is required.

Sep 22, 2021, 19:47 GMT+2

Google chrome and safari were used. That's it. There wasn't anything setup through any fancy marketing campaign or anything. I can't provide you those things because THEY DO NOT EXIST!

All that was done is my partner streamed my songs on HER account on our SHARED computer. That was done on Google chrome and safari. That is it. Put the tracks on repeat and listened to them all. The. Freaking. Time.

What else can I do? I have no proof because nothing was made or purchased or catalogued or anything because NOTHING WAS MADE OR PURCHASED! How could I have a receipt or details on something about which I know nothing?

This is very stressful and infuriating. I'd like to resolve this before I am past my 30 day money-back guarantee with SoundCloud proplus. If I get my repost account back, I'll keep my proplus account. If I don't get it back, I am demanding a refund on my proplus account and will be sharing my experience with as many people as I can.

Date: Wed., Sep. 22, 2021, 08:09

Sep 22, 2021, 17:09 GMT+2

HI there,

In order to reinstate your account, we will need more information on programs you used to promote your tracks.

Sep 21, 2021, 4:17 GMT+2

Hi Phil,

Thanks for responding to me. I don't have any of those materials because I never had any campaign or marketing or service or anything I paid into or acquired or tried to obtain or anything of the sort.

My partner (common-law) decided she wanted to make her own SoundCloud account and wanted to loop my songs on her own account on our shared computer.

I also learned that she was "Season" and was also using our shared computer to play from that account. I told her about the email terminating my account and she stopped at that moment (though I just today learned about the "Season" account).

My plays on my account match this perfectly, so is there something else I can do to get back in good standing?

I have no proof I purchased anything because I didn't purchase or obtain any services of any sort.

Thank you very much for your time and I'll look forward to hearing back from you.

All the best,

Date: Mon., Sep. 20, 2021, 18:09

Phil (SoundCloud)

Sep 21, 2021, 3:09 GMT+2

If you believe that this is a mistake, please provide us with the following information and we would be willing to review:

Further details about any potential company used or the marketing engaged around the product that provided said services: detailed information such as websites, contacts etc.

How was this (if any) marketing campaign carried out, related to targeting listeners? (please provide reports from the promotional campaign)

Detailed reports for any marketing campaigns (both for on ad-networks, social media and other channels)

Sep 17, 2021, 2:13 GMT+2

To whom it may concern,

What did I do? I only monetized my own material and my partner decided she wanted to listen to my tracks on repeat on our shared computer so I had no qualms against that as that is her choice how she operates her own SoundCloud account on our shared computer.

I will immediately get her to cease doing any plays like that if it's against standards and I have already blocked whoever "Season" is immediately as well after receiving this email to block any forms of faulty player/person/system/whatever.

I have some big releases just about ready to go and this will severely cripple my releases.

Is that a safe bet of what to do? How do I stop "Season" if I don't know who they are? I don't know or care to know how to get any bots going or anything so I want to get back into good standing somehow if that's at all possible.

Thanks for your time and I'll look forward to communicating with you,

From: Repost by SoundCloud
Date: Thu., Sep. 16, 2021, 15:31
To: Matthew Whitehead
Cc: [email protected]
Subject: Notice of Termination

After an internal review of your account, we have determined that you have violated our terms of service for one of the following reasons:

* Abnormal streaming activity including botting or fake streams.
* Attempting to distribute or monetize copyrighted material you do not own or for which you do not have a license agreement.
* Creating a new account after having a previous account terminated.
* Using Repost to monetize and/or distribute content that is ineligible for monetization or violates the Community Guidelines of our partners.

Effective immediately, we are terminating your account and you will no longer have access to the Repost by SoundCloud dashboard.
Due to the nature of this termination, all earnings and payouts will be frozen indefinitely.

We're the first music company to introduce fan-powered royalties, where independent artists can get paid more because of their dedicated fans.

Learn more here.

On cc:

Nobody

They owe me $125.96 for the refund. They say they don't owe it because it doesn't fall within their timeframe. I believe that they have been pulling me along through these garbage emails in an attempt to run up my refund window. I read everything and saw that I could receive my money back within 30 days of purchasing Pro Unlimited and, after this horrible experience, I decided to do that... only to learn that they are trying to withhold my refund based on nothing.

Lack of refund and termination of repost services.