Sony MHC-RV22Defective product!

I got sony mhc-rv22 deck in june 2005 with warranty of 1 year. From the last 3 months or so, the music system started giving problems and from the last week the condition was damn bad. Last week we went to sony service center and we came to know from mr. Allywn (store incharge) that there would be certain replacement for which we need to pay [protected]. I can't understand how a sony product give such problem in such short time. My friend has a music system and it didn't gave problem for 5 years and for us in such a short time we need to pay so much. It is not the question of cost but the reliability and the trust we have on sony product. We don't expect it to go haywire in such short time. Moreover since once it has gone wrong in 2 years again the problems will persist after a year or so.

sameer Aug 30, 2007

I too had same kind of experience with this device. Though the speciation tells that it can play AUDIO(CD) MP3 & VCD's. Its not playing MP3 & VCDs properly. I don't know the exact reason but for some time ( around 2-3 months from the date of purchase) all working fine..suddenly Mp3 not playing properly and giving jerks... And then with VCDs.

• Vv
    V.V.Ramana Rao Jan 03, 2008

We too bought one SONY RV55 SYSTEM 2 years ago
    and it started giving trouble : could not read mp3 disks from 18 months onwards and all discs after two months.

The authorized repairers told us that we should replace the lens. Imagine, locally (Indian) mp3 players are working exceptionally well even after three years. We went by the SONY Brand name and ended up with this defective stuff.

• Ra
    Ravindran Jul 16, 2008

I too had the same problem. Everything was fine for about six months. First it had problems in reading MP3s, then other CDs. The service man came and changed the lens. The problem did not surface for about two months. Then again it started giving problems. The service people took the set to their service centre and repaired it and advised me to play only CDs having 30-40 MP3 songs. I tried that also, but the problem resurfaced again after two months. These things happened during the warranty period. This was not the only case. My friend who bought the set after seeing mine had the same problem within the warranty period. He did not went for servicing as he did not want his SONY to be opened. Since we could perceive the things, we wanted to avoid visiting SONY centres often. We bought DVD players (less than the cost of replacing the SONY Lens which is Rs.2400 + service charges) and attached the same to our SONY RV22 via game port and listen to music etc. played by the DVD. I do not understand why SONY has not come up with any comments all these three years about this particular model. The model is very good. The only problem is its CD section. SONY having such a reputation should have come out with some solutions to the problem. SONY was once known for its services towards the satisfactions of its customers. We feel disappointed after having so many years of appreciation for SONY.

• Gs
    G.Subramanian Aug 15, 2008

I am having the same problem. I bought Sony RV22 on December 26th 2004 on Tsunami day. within the warranty period the main PC board got damaged due to current fluctuation and the company refused to accept the fault and they said the warranty will not cover for these kind of problem, for which I had to shell out Rs.4000. Also I am having the same problem of my VCD is not able to play any VCD and its showing only READING. I am totally lost confidance on Sony products and will discourage others who are planning to go for any of the Sony products. My suggestion is to go for a local product by paying less and with peace of mind.

• Vi
    VIKSIT TALIYAN Nov 02, 2008

I agree with all of u

• Ra
    Ravikaash Sep 13, 2009

I have the same set sony RV55, and the system started giving problem after 1 yr. It does not read MP3 or vcds well, i have already spend money on it last yr, and this year again i have to give now. This is probably one of the WORST products that i have come accross, with no product reliability. The buttons on the system hav also failed. You press "effect" button, and it will perform a totally different act. Service centre says, the buttons failiure is common after some time

• Ha
    hardom Dec 06, 2009

I have the same problem with RV22. This thing has suddenly stopped from playing any kind of disk that it used to play before. I have no time to go to SONY service centre and especially after what all of you have said. Which other susyem is recommended?

• Cl
    Claudio Augustine Fernandes Jul 28, 2011

I too have same problem with RV22, they replaced the optical head two times within span of one year, Mp3 songs give problem like skipping continuosly.
    Finally the mp3 decoder board failed, service center asking Rs. 4000/- as replacement charges. Funny when you get DVD player for 2400/-.
    Sony is at the end of dead end road.

Saurabhk2705 Nov 02, 2012

I agree.

• Je
    Jeyachandran P A Aug 06, 2013

I have Sony RV 22 system. I bought this system in Chennai. Now the CD player is not working properly and not even open the CD drive. I asked the Chennai SONY service center to service. Now they are asking Rs.4500/- to do the service. Why this much cost to repair it?
    Here after I should not go for SONY products..

P A Jeyachandran
    Perungudi, Chennai.

• Gn
    Gnani Jan 06, 2014

I too had the same problem with all Sony products which I had bought .I used to buy Sony products till now but I lost confidence on Sony Brand.
    I have problem with not only RV22 but also with car CD player(Not able to insert cd in drive), Cam coder(Display panel is not working), Camera(Blured pictures).I suggest strongly people not to go for Sony products.

S.Gnana Nanda Kumar
    Hyderabad

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices