Sleep Number Bedmatress pad not fire code compliant

I called the sleep number company to ask about replacing the main mattress pad & slipcover. Its $800+. They said it was more expensive as the one I bought 6 years ago did not comply with federal fire standards. So why didn't they contact customers who had the non compliant covers and inform them of the change?
No discount was offered as it is their product that is at fault? Anyone ever encounter this? BAC Napa, Ca

• Sl
    SleepNumberHelp Sep 30, 2009

Hello, my name is Kristin. I work with Select Comfort's online customer service team. Select Comfort offers several Sleep Number® bed models, all of which are compliant with state and federal health and safety regulations, including the California mattress open flame standard. The national mattress open flame standard took effect in July 2007, at which point all Sleep Number® beds met the requirements of this national regulation. I can only assume the representative you spoke with was trying to relay this exact information, but came across incorrectly. Each Sleep Number® bed uses a unique and proprietary configuration of fire ###ant materials to meet the requirements of these regulations. We have worked closely with our suppliers to confirm both the safety and quality of all materials used in our beds.

• St
    starwood Dec 15, 2009

I am very sorry we bought a sleep number bed. The pump went after 2-3 years. That cost over $150. Now I need to replace the mattress pad (our dog had a slight problem) and I'm told I can't just replace the pad but the whole unit needs to be replaced at a cost of $577 plus shipping and tax! The worst investment I ever made.

• Br
    bridges48 Nov 30, 2012

My brother is a quadraplegic and he bought a sleep number bed 2 yrs ago..now the head of the bed wont raise up.I called sleep numbe ..r and they told me the motor is messed up its gonna cost 13.00 for shipping the parts then money to fix.
    Its under warranty ..but still gotta pay!!!..ill never buy one of these beds n make sure I spread the word so no one else will either!!!..

• Br
    bridges48 Nov 30, 2012

My brother is a quadrupligic and he bought a sleep number bed 2 yrs ago..now the head of the bed wont raise up.I called sleep number and they told me the motor is messed up its gonna cost 13.00 for shipping the parts then money to fix.