Having problems with Sleep Number?

+1 888 411 2188 (Sales & Customer Service)
+1 763 551 7000 (Head Office)
1001 Third Avenue South
Sat8:30 AM - 5:00 PM
SunClosed

Complaints & Reviews

poor service

Sales at local Select Comfort in Okemos, MI too programmed and mostly interested in selling product. This led to important oversight in fitting current to bed frame, even after detailed clarifying questions.

Called Call Center to remedy and had to lead them to the solution. Requested some help with lowering price since it was problem at sales, but had to pay full price of $175 for more parts. Even after very detailed clarifying questions they sent the wrong solution.

Called local sales to remedy. They were helpful, but next solution shipped to location closed on weekends. Since I needed bed assembled I called Art Van for solution.

Despite repeated requests with Select Comfort for "customer satisfation" remedy, the best I got was a refund on stuff I didn't need - except still had to pay shipping.

If I could have returned bed for full refund that would have happened, but the bed I got could only be returned for another Select Comfot bed.

Way too much hassle!!!

horrible bed

A horrible bed! At 28 years old I should not, and have not ever had regular back pain, until i slept on thi...

bad service

The Xmas gift that never arrived... I purchased an expensive select comfort bed a few weeks before Xmas and was told that I would get it by Xmas. I was also told that someone would call me within 7-10 days with a delivery date. I called the store after two weeks and was told 3 times to call the delivery warehouse. I gave them the benifit of the doubt and gave them a few more days. On the 3rd week I called the warehouse to ask when they would be delivering my bed and was told that they attempted to contact me, which they did not that my bed would now not be delivered until 12/29 and if I wanted my money back in which I paid in cash, that I would have to contact customer service and they would send me a check that could take 5-7 days to receive. OMG.. I am so unhappy with this service. 10 min to take my money but 5-7 to get it back. Nobody attempted to compensate me for my inconvience nor did after complaining to the sales guy did he ever return my call. I had to escalate to the corporate office. Talk about terrible service!! So as you can see. I am totally pissed off right now and if I have to write a bad review everyday I will.

very high delivery & return charges

Select Comfort advertise that you can have the best night sleep when you find your select number. Select comfort charges $159 for delivery & setup. They offer a 30 night sleep trial and if you don't like the mattress you can send it back for a large fee of $199 I bought the mattress August 2010 after 30 days of sleeping on the mattress I called to return the mattress. Select comfort asked why I was returning there mattress so I told them that my wife & I kept rolling into the middle of the mattress. Select comfort told me they could send me at no cost an insert to place in the middle of the mattress. So we tried the insert, but didn't help and they gave me another 30 nights to test out the mattress. After the additional 30 nights I called and told them I wanted to return there mattress. Select comfort offered to reduce the price of the mattress, but I refused there offer and wanted to return it. They informed me that the return would cost me $199 if they sent someone over to pick it up. They told me they could send me 4 return labels at $29 each and I could ship the mattress back myself. I agreed to do it myself, they told me if I could put all of the parts in less then four boxes they would refund me $29 for each label not used. I stuffed all of the mattress in 3 boxes and return the 4th unused label. They refunded me all of my money minus the delivery fee of $159 & return fee of $89.97 save you money and hassles and buy a regular mattress and avoid paying $250 in fees for a crappy mattress.

• Po
    pobarjenkins Jan 04, 2011

This is a common practice among mattress sales. When you return a mattress, it can no longer be sold as new (nowadays, it can barely be sold at all due to the health risks of bed bugs and the like). They are still losing money even though they didn't refund your fees. They absorb enough of the loss themselves, and you should at least be responsible for what you paid just because you didn't like it.

Though I do agree the delivery fee was a little steep, you clearly knew about it beforehand. Did you offer to pick it up? And why should they refund the delivery when you return it? The men that do deliveries do not work for free.

select comfort garbage

I bought this garbage. I'm extremely embarrassed to let anyone I know, what I bought. Worse yet what my wife thinks of me. All because I bought this SN bed crap. I have literally thrown $2000+ in the garbage. They will not take this crap back. They stole my hard earned money. I hate all of them, even the name select comfort sleep number bed. I truly hope the worst for all those scam artists involved. I hope they burn in hell all of them! I would'nt even try to sell the crap. I don't think anybody deserve to be miserable, except all the select comfort people. I slept on it for 2 days and hated every bit of it. I have to cut my losses unfortunately,
but the curb where I throw out my garbage, is the only place this so called bed is going, as soon as I am able to have a real bed delivered to me. I'm not worried. What goes around, comes around! If anyone should have to lose their job, like I did, it should be them and their evil company! I HATE THEM ALL!

• We
    webopolis Nov 24, 2010

Wow. What didn't you like about the bed? We've had ours for over 5 years. So long, the foam sides are falling apart. But, we have always loved the bed. It is a challenge to find the right number, but once we did, we have never wanted any other kind of mattress. I didn't buy the base, because we could only afford the mattress. I built my own base out of 2x6's...it's great.

andydie Dec 07, 2010

Weird, I really like the one i've had for 10 years but we all have our personal preferences. Didn't the bed come with the 30 day in home trial? If after two days you hated it so much and you called them they should have taken it back. http://www.selectcomfort.com/eng/customerService/returns.cfm?&lefNavId=2

• To
    Toodloo May 22, 2011

Purchased our sleep number in 2002. After a couple months could not take the discomfort! The Queen size we have offers little space for the "adjustment" area...if one moves from this space, you are on hard foam. Our $2, 000 bed sits unused for 9 years as we have returned to a traditional mattress in another room. I made complaints, but got nowhere. Would never recommend this product ... it is very sub-standard. I should have taken a nice vacation with the $2, 000!

• Do
    Douglas Fir Sep 13, 2015

Toodloo is absolutely correct and took the words right out of my mouth: "The Queen size we have offers little space for the "adjustment" area...if one moves from this space, you are on hard foam... Would never recommend this product ... it is very sub-standard. I should have taken a nice vacation with the $2, 000!"
    I hate my Select Comfort bed. It is nothing more than an extremely expensive, glorified air mattress. The idea that you just find this awesome setting that is just right for you is crap. It is either an over or under inflated air mattress and NOTHING MORE. As soon as I can afford it, I'm going to buy a traditional mattress and take this hunk of junk and burn it.
    Seriously, DO NOT BUY ONE OF THESE RIDICULOUS MATTRESSES!

mold and back leg pain

I have had severe pain in my back and legs for some time. After paying so much for the set, I did not have the finance to purchase another. However, I had been having serious bouts with allergies. Found that this set has mold in it. I have STOPPED sleeping any more in this bed. WHAT CAN I DO TO FILE A COMPLAINT AGAINST THIS COMPANY? They have advertised this bed as the best, and my experience is that is NOT what they have claimed it to be..

bad product

Puchased a bed and am trying to send it back after 10 days of sleeping on the bed. The company will not allow me to send the entire bed back but only the mattess and then only if it is perfect and if we pay a higher cost to ship than we paid to receive!!!

If you don't use their expensive shippers they won't give you a full refund!!

Omaha sales people are only after the sale and don't want anything to do with you after the fact - - -

Waste of good money - - - don't purchase scam
Scam
Scam
Scam!!!

bed is bad and company won't take back

We purchased a sleep number bed and they told us we could use for 30 days and if we did not like it we could return the bed -

Well - you cannot return the bed only the mattress and then they hassle you. . . The bed does not sleep well and the customer service is terrible!!!

Very unsatisfied - go with a regular mattress!!!

Do not buy a sleep number bed it is a scam. . . . . . . . . Sales people in omaha only after the commissions!!!

• Po
    pobarjenkins Oct 07, 2010

Of course sales people are after commission.

Anyways, I'm sorry you hate your bed, but my sister purchased a sleep number bed and absolutely adores it. It's not a cheap bed.

fabric of sheets

Sleep Number Beds:

I love my CA King bed but you should try to improve your sheets! I purchased 2 sets; the set I hate is the 310 thread count because they WRINKLE SO BADLY. Have you thought about partnering with a company like The Company Store to produce your sheets? They are in the business of selling a wonderful selection of high thread count sheets. I sure won't buy your 310 sheets again. Also, just because I needed CA King sheets doesn't mean I have King pillows. I gave the pillow cases away. Please be more flexible.

M. Brennan

cheaply made — horrible treatment by select comfort

I bought a king-sized "Sleep Number" bed in 2006 on QVC. This bed is sold in malls all over the U.S. as "Select Comfort." QVC gets them in mass at a discounted price and then can pass the discount on to the public. I do not hold QVC guilty for the way I, and apparently hundreds, or thousands of others have been treated by Select Comfort. However, as a long-time, regular customer of QVC, I would ask that their buyers go on the internet and read all the complaints against Select Comfort and the horrific treatment by Select Comfort of the people who had spent a great deal of money on these cheaply made beds. In my case, it began as a simple failure of the LCD display on the wired remote. It quit working, so I couldn't tell what number it was on. I called Select Comfort to ask about getting a new remote. They told me I would have to buy a new pump, as the old wired LCD (only 4 years old) was discontinued and that I would have to purchase a new pump and WIRELESS remote. I thought this was all covered in the warranty. The warranty is essentially WORTHLESS! I ended up paying $150 for a new pump and wireless remote control. The pump was identical to the one I have that was still working; however, Select Comfort told me I had to buy this new pump. When I unzipped the cover on the bed in order to remove the tubing from the old pump and put in the tubes for the new pump, the cheap, plastic zipper that closes the cover around the bed broke! (It's happened to a lot of people ... I checked on the internet.) When I called to tell them about THIS problem, they THEN wanted $249 for "my" 36% of the cover, and they would cover it at 64%. If you do the math, that means that cheap cover with a plastic zipper cost nearly $1, 000!!! I am not much of a seamstress, but I think I could probably MAKE a better one for under $25.00!!! And I certainly would not put a cheap, small plastic zipper on a nearly $2, 000 bed!!! Just wanted to warn anybody who might be considering buying this expensive piece of junk! I live in DREAD of the NEXT problem I will have with this bed. At some point you have spent enough money to buy a Mercedes Benz!!! I will just quit and buy a well-made conventional mattress. But I sure hope I have enlightened some people NOT to enrich Select Comfort anymore by buying their horrible beds!

poor customer service

Non-existant customer care. Sales people mis-represent conditions and factory takes no remedial action. Response is "you should read the contract before signing". Bought a bed in Utah while traveling. Sales person stated sale was about to end. Informed him we wouldn't be returning to our Florida home for 2 months. He said 30 day trial would begin when we arrived home. Everything was returnable during the trial period. Called today to inform Select Comfort of the beginning of my trial period since I would be back home in 5 days. I was told my trial period was over and even if it wasn't, the base was not returnable since it was "a factory close out". I threatened to return the unopened boxes and told it would not be accepted. Told them of salesperson's representations to which they responded "I must have misunderstood him". My wife and I had salesman repeat his statements before signing. It appears that the sales staff is permitted to say whatever it takes to close the deal without fear of management oversight.
Here I am as a new customer who has yet to sleep on their bed and I am totally turned off. This is NOT A CUSTOMER ORIENTED COMPANY. If you value service, shop elsewhere.

• Jm
    jmjldy Jun 03, 2011

Now you havent' tried the product (which we love), I agree with you on the customer service issue. Sleep Number has to come down from the clouds and realize that customer service is number one in sales and retaining customers. The product can be ok but if you have excellent customer service people will keep coming back. As I mentioned in my post my husband and I will not use them again. Sorry about your troubles with them, I wish you the best.

• Eu
    Eugene Kaptur Jan 13, 2016

As a Sleep Number customer for over 12 years I can say that from a Customer Oriented company Sleep Number has DROPPED to a company only interested in SALES, NOT SERVICE! Still waiting after more than two weeks for the MISSING PARTS due to them using THREE small pieces of Scotch TAPE to seal a base box weighing more than 50 pounds! Complete cretins employed by this company! Waited 1 hr and 45 minutes to talk to a person, counting down from customer #26, when I reached #1, the phone answered and then CUT ME OFF! Went online for a CHAT, waited 1 hr and 15 minutes, at last chat started, told the person my problem...he said "What do YOU expect me to do about it, you have to CALL Customer Service!" Yes, a completely useless company when it comes to Customer Service! Still doing without my bed awaiting the parts LOST when the box wasn't sealed properly...YES they process your CHECK FAST, but that's when the Customer Service ENDS!

lousy sleep, does not do what it says

All of these mattress should be recalled. They are terrible. They don't do what they advertise. It...

rotten product

After a few months of complaining to one another "we seem to be sliding toward the center of the bed", we pulled the top cover today to find what appears to be water stains around the perimeter and large wet spots on the air bladders. When looking at the lateral supports, it's clear they are bending at the center which appears to be the cause of "sliding". I'm calling Select Comfort's customer service line tomorrow to hear what they have to say. My opinion is warranty has nothing to do with defective products, which these issues fall under. I'll post the results later in the week.

• Sl
    sleepnumberjim Jun 28, 2010

Hi, I work for Select Comfort in customer service. I’m sorry to hear about the issues you’re experiencing and we’ll be glad to assist you with your bed. Rolling to the middle can be the result of differences in height, weight and preferred firmness settings. We have solutions for this. Your bed has a twenty-year limited warranty which protects you against any failure of material or manufacturing. I’m not sure what you mean by “lateral parts, ” but please give us a call so we can discuss the names of the various components and ensure we’re “speaking the same language.” Customer Service can be reached at 1-888-411-2270.

Best regards,

Jim Freund

Select Comfort Customer Service

defective product

5085.00 sleep Number cal king matress, going flat, getting no help from select comfort warenty dept, getting ready for lawsuit time, after a major back sugrey i purchased this matress for the above amount, thought i got the best, i am in full time pain now do to the failing product, not like you can just run out & buy another for 5grand, how do you fix it, the manufacturer says 150.00 to replace the pump, BS, where is the service dept, must be the maytag man, not doing anything either,

fk sleep number, see ya in court, any one want to join me. [protected]@yahoo.com

back pain

My wife is a blogger and she entered a blog contest for a free P2 Queen sized sleep number bed. She won the...

hidden email address of ceo

Just a little bit of help for those of you with a problem with a new SC bed. I ordered it, I hated it and was stuck for 30 days. I tried to get the email address of the CEO, Mr. William McLaughlin, but it was cleverly hidden in the corporate website never to be unearthed. But thanks to a creative mind, I found his email address and got rid of the piece of crap earlier than they were insisting I would have to keep it for. They didn't budge on the shipping and they have you because any other method, short of driving it to MN. (by the way not where it came to me from) was better than double the cost of their RMA number.
But I have a new bed and I am sleeping like a baby.

I had tried the old corporate trick of first name followed by a period and the last name and that didn't work. I got to thinking about corporate charity donations and hit paydirt.

Mr. William McLaughlin CEO email address is frank.[protected]@select comfort.com. Hard to believe the deceit here but I got a phone call response within one day of sending the email and the money was refunded within 2 days of receipt of the bed in MN.
I remain wild about that experience and will be glad if this email broadcast generates tons of ticked off people to email him. SC deserves all the nasty letters they get for their unscrupulous tactics.

• Am
    amcmer Dec 14, 2015

Thank you for your info concerning the ceo. I have been fighting with sleep number for about a year and a half now. I now have mold on the foam covering the air chambers. Will this nightmare ever end?

bed bugs came with the bed

March 3, 2010 we had the bed delivered to our newly remodled beautiful home. We had company here and they saw...

sunken in center

Bought Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. Have had only a few years and mattress is badly sunken in center. Really disappointed. I'm a senior with bad back and this has only made condition worse. Stay away from this product.

• St
    [email protected] Mar 09, 2010

Hello there. I’m Stephanie and I work for a member of Select Comfort’s online customer service team. I wanted to apologize for the issue you are experiencing. While this issue is considered normal wear and tear and is not covered under warranty, Select Comfort does offer a foam enhancement that would resolve this issue for a small cost. To receive more information, please call customer service at 1-800-472-7185.

• Tc
    T Cummings Jan 21, 2015

I have had the same issue. Sunken in the middle. Called them regarding the warranty. They pro-rated the warranty and we paid the $400+ to get the foam rails and divider replaced (via said prorated warranty). We did this first after talking to the customer service folks and heeding their recommendation to do so, thinking this would solve the issue. It didn't.

Called customer service again, and again they pro-rated the warranty and said it would cost me almost $600 to get a replacement zipper enclosure for the air chambers. (Expanded Queen, model 7000, purchased for $3200+ in 2006) No other options provided.

Customer service also said "I see you used your warranty to get the replacement foam rails/divider. So you should be familiar with how we pro-rate the cost..." So they can see your account when you call in. BEWARE!

So, that would come to around $1, 000 FOR WARRANTY WORK!! I could buy a higher end box and mattress set and have money left over for that amount for WARRANTY work!!

I haven't had a good night's sleep in over a year... 20 Year Warranty, my eye... what a racket!!! If I knew back in 2006 what I know now about this company, I wouldn't have purchased this bed! I hope, at least, that the saleslady got a good commission!!

BE AWARE!!

scam

I am not one to complain but found that I am in a situation where in my opinion there are unfair business practices, lack of customer service and false advertising in place with Select Comfort. My wife and I decided to purchase a sleep number bed as we were told by many people they were the best! We found out we were pregnant and the sleep number bed would may help her sleep better during her pregnancy.

We purchased a bed in Paradise Valley Mall (Arizona)and all seemed well. We ordered, we were told that if we did not like the bed no problem! We had 30 days to exchange or return and we thought that was great! What we did not realize is that we may have initialled some fine print that stated "limited edition and specialty beds are exchange only and you only get a one time exchange in addition to a $200 charge to exchange". We were pretty confused as when we were initialing our paperwork, the sales person was speaking to us and almost seemed as if to divert our attention away from that clause and never explained that to us. Just that that we could exchange or return as advertised. We ordered a limited edition bed but unlike the other regular models, this was not in the showroom to test out. We were sold on the fact it was better then one model and just a bit less then another and if a mattress pad was added (for $300), it equaled the next model up. We slept on the bed for two weeks, spent nearly $2000 between the bed and accessories and was told after going back into the store for exchange "just callcustomer service and I am sure they will help". Well, after getting extremely frustrated with the lack of customer service and inflexibility, I asked for the CEO's e-mail and sent an e-mail to Mr. Bill McLaughlin, President and CEO of Select Comfort. What upsets me the most, is the they say you can not return a bed that is not readily available in theshowroom and there is a one time exchange with a both a $159 home delivery charge and a $199 exchange charge (total $358). After not hearing back from his office, I called and had to leave a message for one of his "CEO Assistants". After playing phone tag with two of them, one of his assistants named John and I connected. We spoke and he said he would look into thecustomer service issue but he could not do a thing for me aside from waive the $159 charge which leaves me paying $199 for any exchange. Basically, I received the same stonewall I received in customer service where he was inflexible and uncaring attitude really upset me. After asking to speak to Mr. McLaughlin, he informed me that Mr. McLaughlin does not take phone calls. In my opinion, something is wrong when a CEO of any company will not speak to a customer. He stated that maybe we should exchange for a bed that is in theshowroom . The issue I have is that the other beds are more then double the price of the bed we were sold. My opinion is that this is their version of a classic bait and switch. They bait you into buying this limited edition bed, do not allow the return like the beds in theshowroom and force the customer into purchasing a more expensive bed later on. Although this does not meet the classic definition of bait and switch as it does not happen at time of purchase, the end result seems the same to me. After researching online, there seems to be hundreds of posts on a multitude of different websites regarding their policies and procedures and it seems we are not the only ones that were misled or upset with Select Comfort business practices.

Update: I did speak to a Howard from the CEO's office today as I finished writing this review and have the same story. Lack of empathy and inflexibility. He defended their position on this matter tooth and nail without taking any of my comments into consideration. We are now stuck with a bed that is not comfortable and we do not want to put any more money in SC's pockets.

JArizona Jan 27, 2010

I am not one to complain but found that I am in a situation where in my opinion, unfair business practices, lack of customer service and false advertising are in place with Select Comfort. My wife and I decided to purchase a sleep number bed as we were told by many people they were the best! We found out we were pregnant and the sleep number bed would may help her sleep better during her pregnancy. We purchased a bed in Paradise Valley Mall (Arizona)and all seemed well. We ordered, we were told that if we did not like the bed no problem! We had 30 days to exchange or return and we thought that was great! What we did not realize is that we initialled some fine print that stated "limited edition and specialty beds are exchange only and you only get a one time exchange in addition to a $200 charge to exchange". We were surprised as when we were initialing our paperwork, the sales person was speaking to us and almost diverting our attention away from that clause and never explained that to us, just that we could exchange or return as advertised. We ordered a limited edition bed but unlike the other regular models, this was not in the showroom to test out but were sold on the fact it was better then one model and just a bit less then another and if a mattress pad was added, it equaled the superior model. We slept on the bed for two weeks, spent nearly $2000 between the bed and accessories and was told after going back into the store "just call customer service and I am sure they will help". Well, after getting extremely frustrated with the lack of customer service and inflexibility, I asked for the CEO's e-mail and sent an e-mail to Mr. Bill McLaughlin, President and CEO of Select Comfort. What upsets me the most, is the they say you can not return a bed that is not even readily available in the showroom and there is a one time exchange with a $159 home delivery charge and a $199 exchange charge for a toal of $358.00.

After not hearing back from his office, I called and had left a message for one of his "CEO Assistants". After playing phone tage with two of them, one of his assistants named John and I connected. We spoke and he said he would look into the customer service issue but he coul dnot do a thing for me. Basically, I received the same stonewall I received in customer service where he was inflexible and uncaring attitude really upset me. after asking to speak to Mr. McLaughlin, he informed me that Mr. McLaughlin does not take phone calls. In my opinion, something is wrong when a CEO of any company will not speak to a customer. He stated that maybe we should exchange for a bed that is in the showroom. The issue I have is that is the other beds are double the price of the bed we were sold. I feel as if this is their way a classic bait and switch. They bait you into buying this limited edition bed, do not allow the return like the bed in the showroom and force the customer into purchasing a more expensive bed. After looking online, there seems to be hundreds of posts on a multitude of different websites regarding their policies and procedures and it seems we are not the only ones that were and continue to be misled my Select Comfort.

loosing air

I also bought a sleep number bed. I have a queen with dual chambers. My side seems to do okay but my husband...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices