Shopper DiscountsCredit card scam

P Review updated:

I’ve been monitoring my daughter’s credit card statements since she left for college last Fall. In February 2008, I found a charge from “Shopper Discounts [protected] CT” for $12 and didn’t think much of it because I thought she had ordered something online. During subsequent three months, I noticed the same charge in every credit card statement but still neglected to ask my daughter about it. I finally asked her in May when she came home for the summer. She had no idea what they were. I contacted her credit card company and was told they couldn’t remove the charges. So I called Shopper Discounts at [protected]. Their representative told me that my daughter signed up for the service when she ordered sandwiches online from Campusfood.com. I asked them to cancel the membership and gave me full refunds which they did. The man on the phone didn’t seem to be surprised at all. It was as though he had received a phone call like mine a million times before. I decided to google Shopper Discounts and found numerous complaints on this company. They went by several variations of names, e.g., WLI RESERVATOINSREWARD [protected] CT, WLI SHOPPERDISCOUNT [protected] CT, etc. The scam is always the same. What happens is that after your transaction of purchasing something online, there would a pop-up question: “Would you like to save $10 on the next purchase? or Would you like to receive a $10 coupon?” or something along that line. If you click "yes, " they automatically receive your credit or debit card information from the company you purchase from, and sign you up for the scam. It will become a monthly recurring charge on your credit or debit card. I believe they are still in business because they make it easy for people to cancel the membership and get a full refund so nobody would bother to report it to the BBB.

• V
      Jul 10, 2008

This shopper discount seems to be really a fraudulent company.
    My credit card has also been charged of $12 for no reason.
    I need to call them up to get the refund.

Jul 12, 2008

My credit card has also been charged of $12 for no reason.
    I need to call them up to get the refund. but I can not get through the #

dam, why this company can still work?

Jul 12, 2008

BBB it

Jul 15, 2008

Beward of DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.COM They too will sign you up for the $10 ShopperDiscount BS service.

Aug 19, 2008

I'll second that--DEEPDISCOUNTDVD.COM signed me up as well. Fortunately I caught this scam within the first month. Both companies should be run out of business.

Aug 26, 2008

I was finally able to get though to the number and the lady told me that I was singed up for the membership because I ordered something on Fragrance.net and used a coupon. She seemed unconcerened about what I was saying and that upset me even more. I was not aware that if I used a $10 coupon that I would be signed up for the a shopper discount member ship for $12. They should be put out of business. I went on BBB to post a complaint.

Sep 20, 2008

I recently noticed a $9 charge on my credit card. After looking back over my statements I realized this has been going on for quite a long time.

I called and questioned the receptionist and ask to cancel the charges and to give me a full refund.
    She completely complied. Apparently, this had been going on for almost 3 years totaling nearly $300.

I admit that that was a little ignorant on my part on keeping up with my financial affairs.
    However, it doesn't give this company any right to keep this up.

It seems it's never too late to call but be sure to keep an eye on all of your charges and be aware of your surroundings while online.

• N
      Sep 21, 2008

It seems a lot of you people don't read before you push a button.
    My daughter wanted to order a poster through Posters.com and I poured through all the on-line info before doing so. After I placed my order, the offer from Shoppers Discounts & Rewards popped up, yes for a $10 coupon, and, again, I poured through all the info and disclaimers, etc. and decided I could use the $10. during the free 30 day membership period. I ordered another poster.com item, (both orders were received within a week), and billings were never a problem, and I enjoyed the use of the $10 off my second poster. Every couple of days I receive an email from Shoppers Discounts & Rewards reminding me that I am now a member, and to take advantage of savings via this membership. Two days ago I received an email from SD&R reminding me that my free period was coming to an end, and that I would be billed the membership fee on October 1 if I do not act to cancel before that date...so I think that there is a responsibility on the consumer to read before clicking, and not to let read your emails.

Oct 17, 2008

I also got charged a $12 dollar fee for a membership I did not apply For.I think I did also see a $10 Coupon offer. This offer was presented to me about 3 month ago. I recently notice the fee charged for 2 months. I am calling them to have the charges to reverse. I would like to Know if this company explain this in full detail on the web sight at the time you accept the $10 coupon?

• K
      Oct 20, 2008

Thank you for the notes, I do was charged for 8 months, based upon this advice I called and they did refund all 8 months.

• O
      Oct 23, 2008

I bought a dvd from deepdiscountdvd.com and was charged $10 a month without even knowing! I didn't think much of it at first, but when $10 was taken EVERY month... I did some research and found this site. I called the 800 number and sure enough, the representative didn't ask any questions and refunded the money. Sheesh...

Nov 02, 2008

I just found out I have been charged $12 for the past 5 months; unfortunately when I first saw this credit card charge several months ago, I thought it was one of those charges that originated from an unfamiliar store name. I found this site and confirmed is is a scam, will call and request for my refund. I will also post a complaint to BBB, and see if more complaints will help to put a stop to this fraudulent company.

• U
      Nov 04, 2008

I just found a transaction waiting to be validated in my current statement. Then I went back to the last month since I remember looking at the same company and same charge. I couldn't remember were I did spend that amount, so I went online and check for the company.

This is the first post showing on Google, GOOD!!

I Just end the call to their 800 number and a old lady agreed to cancel that 'subscription' and refund the amount.

She said I got 'subscribed' when I buy something on buy.com. I'm really pessimistic and never agree or click/push buttons like crazy when shopping, so I don't know when this crap happened.

Thanks for starting this post.

Regards.

• V
      Nov 07, 2008

I have some thing. I believe Buy.com gives the credit card number to them ... DO NOT BUY on buy.com use your credit cart. It is not trusted.

• R
      Nov 08, 2008

Same thing here. I was charged $12/month for 3 months. I called VISA and they called Shoppers Discounts while I waited. I was connected to a Shopper Discount representative and was told it was through buy.com. I checked and found no activity with Buy.com any time before the Shopper Discounts charges started. (Maybe I clicked something when I was looking for an item I didn't buy) Anyway the rep said the 3 months of charges would be refunded in 5 days. Purchasing with a credit card that has a good dispute department IS the way to go for Internet purchases.

Nov 09, 2008

I too have noticed the $12.00 charge and will be calling to cancel and get refunded. I have no idea when I agreed to this charge. I will also be notifying the BBB.

Nov 10, 2008

Good business.

=> I charge from the people without notice (or with little written notices nobody reads),
    => and I refund money for the people who complains( maybe just less than %10 of them)
    => result is $$$ with just nothing.

I need to start this business too.

Nov 19, 2008

Too bad!! I was also charged for 12$!! And I used my credit card in Buy.com several days ago! That's why...

Nov 20, 2008

Just saw that this has been going on for the past 9 months...these people have to be stopped...and it was so odd, they just refunded me all 9 months with no hesitation...

Nov 27, 2008

I was buying something from 'Classic Closeouts'. These scam people got me for $120.00. I have reported them to my bank. I'll see what happens. I will be notifying the BBB too. They need to be taken out of circulation.

Dec 01, 2008

So we all got screwed - but they are still in business. Does anyone know how to start a class action law suit? Yes they refunded all 11 months I was charged but what about the interest I paid on the 12.00 for 12 months and the time and frustration to call them, JC Whitney, credit card co. Plus I feel it is my dutie to stop this from happening to some poor old person who may not notice the charge.

Dec 01, 2008

Shopper Discounts & Rewards [protected] CT BBB processed a total of 1431 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 1431 complaints closed in 36 months, 613 were closed in the last year.

Webloyalty.com, Inc.
    Shopper Discounts and Rewards 101 Merritt Seven, 7th Floor(Corporate Offices)
    Norwalk, CT 06851

Principal: Mr. Vincent D'Agostino, President
    Customer Contact: Ms. Aida Butler, cs supervisor
    Incorporated: January 1999
    TOB Classification: Buying Clubs & Group Purchasing Service
    BBB Accreditation: This company is not a BBB Accredited business.
    Additional company management and personnel include:

Ms. Marie Defelice (old info) - Manager, CS
    Mr. Richard Fernandes - CEO & Founding Partner
    Ms. Gina Carey - VP - Finance
    Mr. Eli Chalfin - Senior VP - Account Management

Dec 04, 2008

My daughter has been scamed by this company. It is the same case of the first one that the mother monitoring the credit card of the daughter found this charge, for me is the second month.
    I have written a mail to them, I 'll expect their answer soon.
    Why this kind of business are still working without any regulations?
    Thanks...

Dec 06, 2008

Thanks for posting this!! We saw today a charge for $12 on our account. We googled the company Shopper Discounts that posted our account and found this. We figured it was a scam because neither my husband nor I authorized this transaction. My husband called the number and the lady had no problem refunding the money and canceling our "subscription". How lame to prey upon unexpected people like this. I'm sure they'll make quite a bit of money over the holiday season.

Dec 26, 2008

Dear Forum:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitorsthe blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership programs, Reservation Rewards and Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We would like to speak with you directly to address your concerns but do not have your contact information. If you are unhappy with your subscription or have any questions regarding your membership to Reservation Rewards please contact Webloyalty.com Customer Service at [protected] or send an email message to [protected]@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
    Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Reservation Rewards
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards

• T
      Dec 27, 2008

PayPal...shame on you for linking your customers to a scam company like Shoppers Discounts & Rewards! I'm sad to admit that my wife and I were scammed by this fraudulent company. Yes, I must have agreed to their fine print, but did not realize until 14 months later that I was being billed $9.99 monthly! That amount was just under our radar! Finally, while checking to make sure I received a refund on my credit card account, I noticed their charge. My wife asked me who they were - I had no idea. After a quick search on the internet, I saw dozens, perhaps hundreds of complaints similar to mine. I don't claim to be the brightest crayon in the box, but I do have a Master's Degree and didn't believe I'd ever fall for something like this! I did feel stupid for (1) getting caught in their web and (2) not noticing for 14 months! Unbelievable!! The only good news is that I looked up their number and called to complain. They refunded me ALL of my money, seemingly without any concern. I figure they don't want or need any publicity while they kick back and rake in other people's money. They must do something, but I bet few people use their "product" (whatever it is) and mostly they just legally pull money out of other people's credit card accounts every month! Now, I see that after every transaction I have on PayPal (owned by eBay!), I am automatically directed to "Shopper Discounts & Rewards"!!! I have written to PayPal and filed a complaint, but as of 12/27/08, they are still associating with them! Shamefull!!! I hope more people contact PayPal to complain. I thought they were above being associated with scam artists!!!

Dec 28, 2008

Shame on all the reputable internet companies linked to Webloyalty. My wife just pointed out the charge on our bill, I didn't know what it was, Googled it and got this site. I just got off the phone with them and got the 8 months I have been charged $12 refunded to my AMEX card. They told me I clicked on a coupon on the FTD website that would entitle me to $20 off of my next FTD purchase. Webloyalty also stated I then put in my email address 2x and clicked confirm. Webloyalty claims there is an agreement I didn't read when doing this that states they are going to enroll me in this buyer protection program and charge me the $12 per month accordingly. I find it interesting that they refund previous months charges for a service they "supposedly" have already provided without even the slightest hint of contemplation of whether or not these services were used. What I'm getting at is, it would be the equivalent of going to your auto insurance provider and asking for a refund for the last year since you haven't used it and them giving it to you. This is a scam and they are obviously making lots on it and refunding the few who are noticing what they are doing. I have worked in IT for 20 years now, so fairly PC/Web proficient and have never seen something like this. BBB needs to get off their rear and address this, I'm sure many people are getting scammed by them. I find it hard to believe it is legal and ethical for a company to take your credit card info, present you with a link for a coupon and then send your credit card data to another merchant who signs you up for a subscription and charges you on a recurring level. I never put any of my credit card data into a Webloyalty site.

• G
      Jan 11, 2009

I check my statements like a hawk for these types of thieves. Last month I noticed a charge from Shoppers Discounts, CT. My wife made a purchase from Fragrence .net. She said she did not use the 10% discount coupon, as was said by another writer to this forum. Yet, on my statement, there was a $12.00 charge from S.D. CT. These animals must be stopped. Why is there no regulation on ANYTHING in this country. Please, people, check your statements thoroughly. This is not the first time I've caught charges similar to this one.

• F
      Jan 12, 2009

I hate to be the nag but please read the exclusions before you say yes to anything online. I recently made the mistake of signing up for a similar program it offered the same discounts and when I noticed a charge I realized I didn't read the fine print. ALWAYS read the terms of Services. I find it frustrating that people get upset because they didn't read what they were signing up for. NOTHING is for free if it sounds too good to be true it probably is. We need to become stronger as a society, stop blaming others for being too much in a hurry or lazy to read the fine print. Take ownership for your actions and stop being victims. I promise you will feel better if you stop saying they stole from me and say oops I didn't read the fine print. Maybe this can be the big step to becoming stronger better more responsible people. They will give you your money back if you call or take advantage of what you signed up for so what is the problem?

Jan 16, 2009
    Shopper Discounts - charges

I was also charged for 4 months of 12 dollars each and they didnt give me a refund the guy just said that there will be no more charges. im pissed.

Jan 16, 2009

I was also charged for $12 a month for four months and I did not get a refund the guy on the phone just said that there will be no more charges.

• S
      Jan 19, 2009

I recently found two charges on my credit card, one from shoppersdiscount.com and one from reservationreward.com...each for $12.00. When I called the cc company they informed me they couldn't remove it and that the same charges had appeared the month before...I'd missed those somehow...with all the Christmas activity I suppose. My cc number was picked up when I purchased movie tickets from movies.com. I called the # on the charges and as I've read above, they agreed immediately to reverse the charges...I'm still waiting 3 days later for that to happen. I'm very concerned that they are allowed to just pick up your credit card number that easily...can't even purchase movie tickets on line???? I tried to enter their information on the BBB website but they didn't have a match...but I will pursue this. Outrageous...as of this date they are still very much in business!

Jan 21, 2009

I had the same thing happen to me, except my charges came off of allposters.com. I have to say that I do remember clicking "yes" to the $10 off coupon, but it definitely never stated that I would be charged every month. But I have to say that they were very understanding and did just give me my full refund without hesitation.

Jan 22, 2009

Dear Aburleson08:

Webloyalty.com protects its reputation and monitors the blogosphere to ensure information posted on our company is truthful and accurate and to identify opportunities to assist our members. Through this monitoring, we found your comments posted here about our membership program, Shopper Discounts & Rewards.

We're sorry if you did not have a satisfactory experience with our Customer Service department as providing the highest level of quality service is of utmost importance to us. We would like to speak with you directly to address your concerns and accomodate your request for a refund, but we don't know who you are. Please contact us at [protected] or send an email message to [protected]@webloyalty.com. We will be happy to help you.

Regards,
    Mary O'Reilly
    Webloyalty Consumer Affairs
    Shopper Discounts & Rewards

Jan 23, 2009

Same things here. That should be illigal, for pop ups for unauthorized charges to trick you into clicking on something you didn't want. Lucky for me I noticed the first month and was able to cancel it right away!!!

Jan 29, 2009

Thank you so much for posting this, when i looked at my statement, it didnt give me a number, but when i called up they did seem like it has happened to them a few million times before..

dam scammers. nothing is safe these days

• R
      Feb 01, 2009

thank you so very much for your advice and information! the same thing happened to me and immediately i called them and effectively they canceled my "subscription" and say that they will refund me a total of $144 within 3-5 business days. i agree 100% that this is a fraudulent company and it must be stopped!!

Feb 03, 2009

OMG! That is crazy... I bought a poster from allposters.com and yeah... that coupon promotion popped up and I think I do remember clicking yes, not thinking too much about it, surely not thinking I'd get charge for a membership I wasn't fully aware of...of course.. that stupid website overdrafted my account one day...and it obviously became a problem. Luckily though, I went to my bank and they cancelled the membership and told me all I had to was call Shoppers Discount and just ask for the refund, which luckily, today actually all the money that was taken from the $12 charges over a period of time has officially been refunded back into my account. Blah! Glad I'm not the only person who was surprised about this. I'm just glad to have my money back. I'm definitely going to keep a better eye on the activity that goes on in my account.

• G
      Feb 05, 2009

My credit card has also been charged of $12 for no reason. For tow months.
    I called them and they said when I did shopping from buy.com then get this credit card information.
    This is really a scam.
    My suggestion: don't buy anything from buy.com and we may need to take legal action against this scam.

• H
      Feb 10, 2009

Absolutely the same thing is happening to me but I already called to cancel this "subscription" and still I am being charged again! If I signed up for something, it was by accident and probably through the US Airways website. They catch you off guard that way because you already have to click on so many things just to get to the confirmation page.