Menu
Serta
reviews & complaints

Serta
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

111 complaints
34 resolved 77 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of Serta. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
11:36 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

The Mattress Warehouse did not honor the warranty / showed complete lack of customer service. I purchased a new Serta mattress from Mattress Warehouse in 2009. I was told that the mattress had a 10-year warranty. In 2011, I began to have serious lower back pain and noticed considerable depressions on both sides of the mattress. I filed a warranty claim and...

G
10:21 pm

Serta - Don't shop at this store

On Nov 4, 2011 I purchased a Serta Mattress and foundation at the Northwoods mall store. I had a tenative delivery date of 11/17. I was told that they would call me the day before, with a time frame (4 hour window) for delivery. I was also given instructions about clearing a path to the room where it was to go, etc. Delivery call was not recieved, so I called customer care. They said that the foundation arrived soiled and was rejected. Also told that the mattress and box springs are “custom made” when ordered, hence the delivery delay. Told that the truck only comes every 10 days from Serta.

Given new tenative delivery of 12/1. Day before, no phone call. Called customer care. Told it had arrived but was not able to get it on the truck in time for the delivery. Called the Sales Associate at this point. Am told that there was never a soiled foundation, instead they had shipped a queen size foundation instead of full. (hard to beleive this, if they custome make the order!) Told that my Mattress was in Bloomington IL and they would be happy to deliver that piece to me the next day. Told that the foundation was in MIlwaukee. I refused, as once accepted, it is a final sale, and I needed both pieces.

Given new delivery date of 12/15. Received no call on 12/14 so I called them at 4:15 pm. Waited until 5pm for someone to take the call. Told that it “didn’t arrive” and when I expressed my frustration, I was asked if I was sure I ordered a Serta mattress and not a sealy. I said no, it is Serta, to which I was told that they come from Itasca IL and that Milwaukee had nothing to do with it. I asked to just cancel the order and was told that a phone call had to be made and that they would call me back with the cancellation confirmation number.

I have not received a phone call yet. And they provide absolutely no way for me to go online and check the status. chistmas is a week away and I have no mattress in the 2nd bedroom fit to sleep on, thanks to JC PENNYS. DO NOT SHOP AT THIS STORE.

1 comment

We're so sorry to hear about you experience. Please contact us at [email protected] for assistance if still needed.

-Serta Mattress Company

5:38 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

My ordeal with this firm started in March 2010, when I went into the Lombard, IL store to purchase a new mattress for my wife and I, after having moved back to the 'burbs after 5 years in Tucson. We spent a huge amount of time being "sold" on various mattress, and the salesman was visually and verbally angry that I was myself a salesman and kept calling...

10:31 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I bought a king size Serta mattress Bridegeview ($ 1, 400), which after only two months digging in the middle about 3 inches. I contacted the store where I bought the mattress and a technician came to assess the problem. What a farce. The technician stretched a rope between the end of the mattress to measure if there was a depression in the center of the...

S
11:42 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased a Serta Vera Wang Mattress one year ago from Gardner White and with that purchase I was given a 15 year warranty. Within the year the mattress has a big sag in the middle and is very hard to sleep on it. I was at the store the other day talking to the sales man about a bed for my in-laws and mentioned my problem to him. An appointment was made...

9:28 pm

Serta - They dont respect warranty

I purchased expensive mattress $1, 600 in Feb 2011 - Serta Better Homes and Garden from Mattress World in Shelby Twp., MI. By October 2011, one side of the mattress is unsleepable. When it is put to it's intended use [sleeping on it] it has an over 4" dip in the middle. When laying in it, your head and feet are elevated way higher than the middle of your body. The representative I contacted refuses to do ANYTHING because one must show the bed 'sags two inches WITHOUT ANY WEIGHT ON IT.

I find this ludicrous --it's memory foam. I explained that I don't care what happens without any weight on it, as soon as we put it to its intended use, it fails!

The warranty states nothing about this 2" rule without any weight.

I am asking that I receive a full refund for a defective product or to provide me with a comparable product that will not fail within eight months. I would be grateful for your help. I have already started a social media campaign since my recent calls to the point of purchase have remained unanswered. Next step is the Better Business Bureau and my state's consumer complaint division. This same thing has happened to two people I know and the internet is full of similar stories. This is very concerning. I hope to hear back soon with a positive resolution.

Apr 06, 2012 5:28 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I purchased a Serta Mattress about 8 months ago from Boscov's Dept Store,
Four months ago my wife found a deep pocket in the middle of the mattress. I suggested we turn the mattress around which we did, Shortly thereafter I discovered the right side of the bed goes down hill. In other word if I roll over I go down hill. I sent a letter to Boscov's Dept Store with a complaint but I never heard from them. This mattress cost over 700 dollars and is a complete waste.

J
7:41 pm

Serta - Jello Mattress

I purchased a queen Serta mattress from Macy's. From the first time we slept on it we realized that every time my wife or I moved, the entire mattress moved and shook the other person. It's so bad that even when our cocker spaniel paws at the bed on one side, the person sleeping on the other side is woken up by the movement. We exchanged the once without cost. The second mattress did the same thing. I now must pay a restocking fee to return the second one. I contacted Serta and they simply replied that they do not set return policies for their retailers.

T
12:53 pm

Serta - Sucks

Went into mattress shop the other day and wanted to buy a serta mattress for my back problems. Thought it would help and payed almost 2, 000 for it, didn’t do anything though and i still can’t sleep at all. Called the company back and they didn’t do anything, just asked me to leave a message. Very hard to sleep! It’s got a 5 year warranty but I don’t even care anymore, just let me get something that doesnt suck!

1:54 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I'v bought a serta mattress 09th Aug 2011 (21 days ago)..after 2 days i wasnt happy with the mattress and i put in a complaoint about the mattress. I was told some one from setra will contact me to come have a look at the mattress. i waited for a week before i heard from serta. one week after my complaint the inpector come to have a look at the mattress. In...

1:35 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Purchase a mattress from Sears in El cajon California less than four years ago. Mattress is sagging on the side. told today by representative from sears that mattress is not under warranty today, 4/17/11. there are only three things covered per sears representative, springs poking through, sagging in the middle, and handles on the side torn. told that if...

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have owned my Serta Cali-King, Vera Wang Beyond Exquisite Organic Cotton Mattress for 2 years. I am amazed that Serta is still in business with their HORRIBLE customer service. My husband is 170 lbs and I am 114 lbs... when he lays down the mattress sinks at least 4-5 inches and my side goes in 3 inches. There is a giant wedge in between us where the...

C
9:22 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

On 18 October 2010 we bought a king size Serta bed from Home Corp in Boksburg, in just a few weeks the whole inner support of the mattress collapsed, on 28 Feb I called Home Corp and asked what can be done about this issue, as you DON'T spend R4000 on a bed only to have it collapsed in 4 months time. When you buy 'the world's best mattress' you surely...

A
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I purchased Serta Mattresses from shopnbc. Received them in October 2010. I advised shopnbc of mattresses were defective; One side is firm other side is so soft you sink in when sitting down, there is a hump in the middle felt when laying down. All brand sheets purchased for Cal-King mattresses don't fit, purchased different types and all fit too big. Serta...

1:23 pm

Serta - Waste of Money

We purchased a Serta Perfect Sleeper Island Palm king size mattress. Within weeks we began experiencing back pain and the mattress visibly sagged and the sides were broken down. According to Serta customer service (1-888-557-3782) this is a normal Serta mattress.

The warranty requires sag of 1.5 inches when measured from side to side over a 1.5 inch block of wood. I asked how a side to side measurement can be accurate when the sides are part of the problem. They said that it their standard method to measure. The 15 inch mattress is barely 13.5 on the sides, but that is a normal mattress to Serta.

Serta has a warranty which insures they will rarely replace a mattress because all the problems are normal. The local representative even said “would you return tires that didn’t feel right or reach the life of the warranty?’ Uh! Of course I would and have! But, I have never experienced the blind stupidity as I have with Serta.

Don’t waste your money on a Serta mattress.

K
8:37 pm

Serta - Scam

I purchased a Serta mattress from Hom Furniture in Fargo, ND 4 years ago and I too had a mattress that began to develop a divot in two places on the mattress, one so bad that sleeping on it causes my spine to become misaligned and create back pain.

I have had difficulty getting some sort of satisfaction as to the Mattress and the technician they sent out basically stated that it was not in pristine condition so it won't be warranteed. They stated "Had I purchased their mattress protector then Serta and Hom would in fact have warranteed the mattress (their cover being about twice the cost of another brand)BUT they would give me 40% off another mattress and therefore I wouldn't have to buy Serta and could spend more money on temperpedic.

I contacted Serta and received the repsonse basically "Sorry, we can't override the Hom store" now please think about buying another one of our products so that we can hook you for more money... I have, I think purchased my last Serta product (I have previously owned all Serta products) and I'll be damned if I will venture into another HOM store to purchase another product. I have helped friends return a mattress in much worse shape to Slumberland and it was a Sealy product... maybe these two companies understand that after 4-5 years nothing looks new... or maybe they just believe in customer satisfaction... BTW both Serta and HOM Furniture made it sound like I lied when I told them about the Sealy mattress... whatever lets you sleep at night, it surely isn't your mattress Serta...

1 comment

I purchased a Serta queen mattress and box spring from Hom Furniture, the mattress has shifted so bad, that you can not pull it back into place, it's falling on the one side, to where, you can't sleep on it, or you feel like your falling on the floor . Would you settle with Hom Furniture for a credit, for a new mattress, but yet the box spring will not match ! because we bought a different series of mattress . does this sound like something any body would want for a good amount of money ! ?

3:17 am

Serta - mattress impressions

I bought a king size Serta euro top perfect day mattress in aug of 2008. After sleeping in it for 3 months there body impressions. You could see the impressions. The store I bought it from came and measured and of course the impressions were not big enough to take it back on warranty. In fact the guy doing the measuring wanted to wait until the afternoon to measure so the mattress had time to "bounce back a little". We finally bought a Tempurpedic and couldn't be happier, its a glorious mattress.
THE BOTTOM LINE IS SERTA DOESN'T CARE IF THEIR MATTRESS IS A PIECE OF JUNK, NOR DO THE STORES THAT SELL THEM. THE WARRANTIES ARE USELESS.

DON'T BUY SERTA.

N
5:12 am

Serta - Serta Bed

In the past I had lots of problems with my back and had to make sure to sleep on the right mattress.
Since I bought a “Dunlop Pillow Hip Mattress”, about 12 years prior my back problems subsided. The mattress started wearing out and it was time for a new one.

In 24th of April 2009 I bought a King size Serta Natural Balance Mattress from Beds for Africa in Nelspruit South Africa. It was recommended to us as “The World’s Best Mattress” and the recommended mattress for my problem.

Suddenly both me wife who never had a problem, and I had back problems and I accepted it from experience years back in selling Sealy bedding, that your body has to get use to the new mattress.

3 Months later the back aches with both me and my wife persisted, but we also noticed that there was a substantial hump between me and my wife. We reported this to Beds for Africa, who assured us that the bed is taking our shape and it was quite normal because it was a “king size”. The hump got so big that it became difficult to turn around or roll over to that side and I could not roll over without waking up.

The back aches did not go away and my wife has serious complaints about back ache every morning when she gets up, this never happened to her before.

After about 6 months we complaint to Beds for Africa again and the manager promised us that he will take it up with the Serta representative. We waited more than 3 months for the representative to come out for an inspection.

After the 5th or 6th time that I asked them when the rep is coming to inspect the bed, they decided to exchange it without seeing it, this was quite a surprise to me and I insisted on seeing the rep for an inspection.

The rep Fausto phoned me and told me that they are just going to replace it without seeing it and it was done the 31st of March 2010. This was excellent service to have it replaced without the rep inspecting it or did they know of problems I did not?

On arrival of the new bed we noticed that it was smaller than the base and reported it back immediately. The manager at Beds for Sfrica, as well as the rep told me without inspecting it, that it is impossible, it was made in a jig and it could not happen, so it must have been my imagination or something.

Again 3 months down the line, we noticed a hump forming in the middle of the bed and reported it. The rep came out for an inspection and tried to convince me that this is normal, because it is a king size bed. This to me is unacceptable and if they told me this beforehand I would have bought 2 single beds and used it as a unit.

Fausto came out and noticed the size difference in the mattress immediately, without me pointing it out to him, the thing that could not happen, happened. The mattress ran at a taper to the bottom on both sides. (Thank heavens I could sleep again, my imagination was gone.)

My wife still suffers from back problems and the last 3 weeks we are sleeping on an “air mattress” in the spare room, due to renovations in our room, needless to say, my and myself have no complaints about back aches at the moment. I just wonder why?

Even if you think your mattress is the “best in the world”, it does not seem like that to me or it does not fit our profile.

I hereby request, that you seriously consider other options than to replace the mattress with another mattress, as after the second one with more problems than the first, I do not have any trust in Serta’s beds anymore and it is not good for my health to sleep on a mattress that causes discomfort and lack of sleep.

I am awaiting your reply on this in writing as soon as possible.

Regards

Niel Smit

Ps. I weigh 112kg and my wife 58kg

2 comments
X
May 17, 2011 11:31 am

I have just had a similar bed experience with Serta. My compalint is the following:
I sent a mattress for sewing of small tear on the top joining corner last year (May 2010) when the mattress came back, the bottom sheet was different and the mattress had lumps in it. (The bed was bought in August 2008) It was re-fetched by the factory for fixing. I believe and mentioned to Serta that the mattress that came back from sewing is not the same mattress that I bought and that it was changed. When I complained that the mattress had lumps after being sewed, they fetched the mattress for fixing of the lumps.

These lumps have since re-developed & I have now been told that these are normal bodily impressions and the bed is out of warranttee . Yet these are lumps that developed in the factory and whatever they did to fix the lumps they created did not give me a bed of the same quality that I bought . The current status of the mattress is one that was created by Serta at the time that I called to request that the tear be fixed. Is this the quality that one can expect from an expensive Serta mattress? Does this mean that anybody in the same situation should expect to develop such 'body impressions' after sleeping on the bed for two years.

Why spend thousands on Serta?

Jan 10, 2011 8:49 am

We are looking for a new bed and have also been "burnt" in the past by Bed Brothers so I am making sure I do a lot of research before making a purchase. I have tried to find Serta in South Africa and cannot! My search only finds an American based company and none of the Serta product names that the local suppliers gave us can be found on that site. Makes me wonder if someone is ripping off the Serta brandname in SA? I have contacted Serta in the States to verify my concerns.

I have very little faith in any of the lcoal suppliers ... they all promise fantastic guarantees but when I looked at the Sealy website they clearly state the guarantees on specific products which are, needless to say, considerably less than those given by the stockists, like 5 years! Obviously we need to check all guarantees direct with the manufacturer. Hence, my unsuccessful search for Serta.

One supplier pointed out an exact bed we found at the competition, who bought out a specific brand name, - there is a R3000 price difference on the Queen and R4000 price difference on the King.

Amazing how may worms you find when you scratch the surface. I haven't even got to 4 cm which is the standard "sagging/body impressions" allowed on new matresses by manufacturers.

A
10:15 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I spent, in all almost 2000 dollars on a Serta Mattress and accessories. From the first night I selpt on it I realized something was seriously wrong with the mattress. I felt like I was trying sleep on the side of a hill. It sags to one side and has a large lump in the middle of the mattress. I have exhausted all efforts to get them to honor their warranty...

B
8:06 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Bought a new base and Mattress. Complained two days after delivery - unable to sleep on mattress. Was informed today (2 weeks after brand new bed was delivered) that nothing is wrong with mattress and would not be replaced. (Inspection was done by somebody who took 2 or 3 pics and who refused to either touch the bed or to lie down on it!!! We are not able...

T
7:15 am

Serta - pillow top shifted

Bought first Serta Mattress and Box springs 9/27/09, delivered @10/16/09 first night right side was sagging way in, not acceptable. Called JCP, they came out and picked it up and brought mattress number two. Within a month the "Pillow Top" of mattress number 2 shiffed way over to the right about 2-3 inches. Looked like a herd of elephants have been living on it. Called JCP again and after NUMEROUS phone calls, taking and sending pictures, having JCP's Tech come out and take a report, being put on hold, being hung up on, emails, snail mail and more phone calls and now almost 6 months later, JCP is finally going to pick up mattress number two. JCP wanted to bring out a mattress number three, well, I will NEVER buy a Serta mattress again.
In the middle of all of the above I did call the Serta 800 number on the paperwork. Put on hold again numerous times, recording, and then apparently it was after they had closed for the day, message said they would call back within 48 hours. Well, now it is closer to 48 days. Still have not heard back from the wonderful (not) Serta company.

March 7, 2010