Sears Home Improvementflooring

N

Wow, I'm so surprised I haven't come across this board before but I had the absolute worst experience with Sears in the last 3 weeks. I would absolutely not recommend them. Here are all the problems that I encountered:
1. Had someone come over with the initial plan - tried to put in an order via him. He recorded two different types of wood for the same room and when I pointed it out, he couldn't change it and so put a note that he promised me the manager would read and take action on so that the same wood would be installed through the entire room.
2. Over the next 3 weeks I had to call Sears and spend about an hour on the phone everyday in order to coordinate the project - I pretty much forced them to come and measure the place, give me an estimate of when they would come in to install the floors (they claimed they had to acclimate the wood first and then claimed that they did not). All of this despite me having told them that I needed to get this done at top priority - really urgently before the end of the month as I was moving out by then.
3. When the installation guys finally came, they did not have enough of the correct shade of wood so they left the installation incomplete.
4. When I called Sears they insisted that I had asked for two different woods till I forced them to check their records and then they admitted their mistake.
5. They then proceeded to tell me that they'd have to order the material and they could come in only the next week - on the last possible day that I had the apartment. I relented and let that happen.
6. I called again today and they claim that they now need to acclimate the remaining wood despite having not done that with the previous batch. the project coordinator insists that what I'm saying could not be true. I yelled at him and hope to get something done asap, but at this point I don't think I should bet on it.

I'm surprised that as a company that has been in business for so long, they an provide such bad service and get away with it. I am going to try my very best to make sure that they get a super bad review on every site out there and lose a lot of business.

RESOLVED

• Sears's response · May 30, 2012

Dear Scratched Customer,

My name is Stephanie L. and I am with the Sears Social Media Escalations team. We regret to hear that the installation of your new floor had to be delayed. We understand your frustration with the state your new flooring was left in. We would like the opportunity to assist in this matter. We would be able to contact the installers and follow the installation on your behalf. Your continued patronage is appreciated. At your convenience please contact our office via email at [email protected] and a dedicated case manager will contact you directly. In the email, please provide a contact phone number and the phone number your flooring was purchased under (if different than the contact phone number) and we will call you directly. Also, in your email, please provide your screen name “Scratched Customer” you used to post on this site, for reference to your issue, and we do look forward to talking to you soon.

Stephanie L.
    Social Media Moderator
    Sears Social Media Support

• Sc
    Scratched Customer May 24, 2012

We are in the process of having Sears install floors for us. The installers showed up to get started and while I was working in my home office, they removed all the carpet for the area that was to get the new hardwood flooring (living room, hallway, 2 flights of steps, 400+ sq feet). Anyway, it was then I asked the installers about acclimating the hardwood first? They read the directions that came with the flooring and discovered that the wood must be acclimated for 72 hours prior to install. So, now, I have plywood floor with staples (and a 1.5 year old boy running around). Worse, if they would have installed the flooring, it surely would have needed redone once it acclimated. To me the installers either didn't care to acclimate the wood (get the job done) or they didn't know to do this (equally as bad). Now we are waiting for Sears to send new installers. This is their second and final chance.

• Ca
    cabinetman Feb 09, 2012

Welcome to the world of Sears !!! You failed to mention that you paid over twice the going rate for the floor. These people are crooks, liars and so downright stupid it's not even funny !!! I have worked for them in the past and they really are a joke !!! They hide behind a huge name Sears is but they offer nothing but grief to everybody that gives them work.

EVERYBODY should stay away from these people.

• Vj
    vjob1 Jan 13, 2012

They wont get away with it if you file a complaint with your local Department of Consumer Affairs. They helped me and my family when we had a problem with sears.

• Ru
    Ruruvi-at-hotmail Dec 27, 2011

read the latest headlines - Sears is closing over 150 stores; laying off 2, 000+ American workers.
    let's all hope they only have til the summer - then it's good-bye to them - they don't carry anything made in the US anyway

• Je
    JEAN RICCA Apr 14, 2011

I too am in a dispute with "SEARS" and their shady dealings. FORTUNATELY WE, Never signed the "JOB COMPLEATION" PAPERWORK THAT THEY TRIED TO HAVE ME SIGN BEFORE THE JOB WAS EVEN STARTED.They must have tried to get us to sign that paper over four times with the sweet double -talking promises that their "SEARS NAME " stands on the good quality of money back guarantee. BOLOGNA!!! I think we should ALL begin a CLASS ACTION LAW SUIT AGAINST THIS COMPANY AND FINALL PUT AN END TO THEIR FALSE STATEMENTS AND SHODDY WORK, AS WELL AS, THEIR CHANGING WHAT THE CONTRACTS STATES AND THEN WHAT ACTUALLY GETS DONE. WE WORK TO HARD FOR OUR MONEY AND THIS COMPANY NEEDS TO BE STOPPED. ONE REPAIRMAN TOLD MY HUSBAND THAT ALL HE DOES IS DRIVE STATE TO STATE REPAIRING WHAT THE OUTSIDE CONTRACTORS FAIL TO DO AND HE SAID THAT HE HEARS COMPLAINTS EVERY DAY FROM THE EDERLY THAT THEY HAVE HAD THEIR CONTRACTS CHANGED WITHOUT THEIR KNOWLEDGE. THAT IS SOMETHING THAT THEY TRIED TO DO TO US, EXCEPT, I HAVE ALL OF MY DOCUMENTS AND THE DAY THAT THEY SAY WE CHANGED IT WITH THEM, I WAS HAVING A MEDICAL PROCEDURE AT THE HOSPITAL. BOLD LIE.

• Ni
    NicoleV Oct 29, 2010

Had Sears Home Improvement come in to put a new kitchen floor in.

1) They did not measure correctly, even though 3 people came out to measure.
    2) The subfloor was not extended to the wall in one 3 foot spot. If one wanted to put standing shelves or an appliance against that wall the floor would not be sufficient.
    3) The molding was put in crookedly
    4) The floor buckled in one spot within 1 week of installation
    5) The exterior door was not cut down to accommodate the new subfloor; it could not open after installation.
    6) The contractor came out to fix the door and ended up cutting the door so much that there is a 1/4 inch space between the door and floor.
    7) When I told the contractor that the subfloor was not flush with the wall he said "The wall came up short." ??????????????????
    8) When I told him the floor had buckled he said it was due to the cold. (It was 65 degrees out. What was going to happen when it got REALLY cold?)
    9) I called Sears but got the run around. The saleswoman would not call me. The project manager would not call me. When I finally used a different phone to call the project manager picked up but said he "didn't know he was supposed to call me back." OK. Right. He said he would send the contractor back out to fix the floor.

Why would I trust the contractor when he did it wrong 3x already? I think I paid top dollar (no discount) for this floor and deserve better treatment. But Sears truly is "Where America Used to Shop."