Menu
SafeLink Wireless
reviews & complaints

SafeLink Wireless
reviews & complaints

Learn how the rating is calculated

239 complaints
23 resolved 216 unresolved
File a complaint Table of contents
Claim listing
Is this your company? Claim it and get a lot of features. Read more
Click here to get notifications about new complaints of SafeLink Wireless. We promise not to send you any unrelated messages
4:40 pm

SafeLink Wireless - my phone!

I got a replacement phone Friday! I tried to activate itand it comes back saying call customer support! I called told them four different times about my phone no being able to retrieve my minutes from safelink!I can't call no more cause I wasted all the free minutes I had with the phone trying to activate it!it calls out! It isn't hook up with safe link to get my minutes! They keep saying they will take care of it and don't!

R
12:27 pm
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I had a safelink phone and was sent a text to call for re verification for another year but my income changed and i was told i would have to apply again Safelink cancelled my service that day I applied again on the phone and then i looked on the website the website said I was not found for that program and submit proof the website said my address was not...

10:49 pm

SafeLink Wireless - lack of phone and minutes stolen

My family had to walk away from Safelink wireless. First, they never did send my son his phone and had him stuck in only approved status, not enrolled. We finally called them and they told him that he had to wait for another 30 days so they could correct their computer system. Then, my daughter tried to redeem her free minutes. She never got them. All they gave her were her text messages. She called and talked to them with my help--their excuse was that she had already used up her minutes for the month. Excuse us? How could she use her minutes up when she never got them? My husband tried to redeem his minutes. He started out with his 500 minutes. Made two phone calls totaling one minute each. Next morning he woke up to zero minutes left. He chatted with Safelink. Their excuse? The same as what they told our daughter. Mind you, my husband is not a huge talker. 250 minutes is all he needs for a month. 500 is double what he needs. To say that he went through 500 minutes in less than 24 hours is so absurd it is ridiculous! My son finally cancelled his service with Safelinik because they were taking too long to send him his phone. My daughter ended her service with them to go to a prepaid service that she pays for out of her own pocket because of her disability and the long fight she was having with them. Now my husband is the next one to go. He doesn't have the patience to fight with them. Way to go with keeping your customers, Safelink. And way to go helping people who are low income get and keep phone service. What a joke. We are still going to have to pay $30 a month out of our own pocket to have reliable service because none of the lifeline companies out there are worth anything. I have checked the alternatives to Safelink and they either don't offer enough of what we need or they operate off Sprint and we don't have good Sprint coverage in our area. Safelink was the best for cell service, but when they steal your minutes or they don't send you your phone, then you still have no service and you are forced to pay for service. There is one cell phone company out there that is not associated with Lifeline but has extremely affordable rates and we are going to that company. At least we will be treated with respect!

Sep 24, 2015 5:01 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Hey! If you are fed up with talking to Customer Representative, try sending an email at [email protected] They will be able to assist you immediately. Believe me, I've tried it, and I was satisfied. I knew I came to the right people from the company.

J
9:11 am

SafeLink Wireless - stolen minutes

August 3, 2015
Hello, I received my Safe Link cell phone on April 22, 2015, and my serial number is 0142170025735. May 1, 2015, I didn't receive any minutes; however, on May 31, 2015 I had 416.39 remaining minutes, and on June 1, 2015, I received 83.61 minutes. June 30, 2015; I had 453.75 remaining minutes, and on July 1, 2015, I received 46.25 minutes, and on July 31, 2015, I had 381.59 remaining minutes on my cell phone; because I didn't make calls, and at the end of each month I write down how many remaining minutes are on my cell phone. I woke up August 1, 2015 and Safe Link didn't add any minutes to my cell phone ; but Safe Link stole 31.59 minutes from my cell phone, which left me with 350 minutes.
In addition, I would like to say that this Safe Link cell phone isn't for leisure it's for emergency and most important searching for employment. Safe Link could have just kept adding the remaining minutes to the cell phone that I already had like they been doing. If Safe Link stolen my 31.59 minutes they could be listening to my important conservation on my cell phone.
Feel free to contact [email protected]
Thank you !
Sincerely your, Ms. Janice Jarrett

Sep 24, 2015 4:17 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I too have had many issues with my phone, but I found this email address to the company and they fixed my problem right away. Some problems may require a little more time to fix but the people at this address are very good. Try it. The email address is [email protected] Also give them your name and account cell phone or serial number.

5:41 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I wanted to subscribe for their services and therefore I went to the website www.safelinkwireless.com. I filled the form and waited that someone would contact me soon. Nothing happened. I checked the website and emailed them. The rep replied and told me that I needed to come to their office. They refused to subscribe for their unlimited phone calls through phone. But they don’t work on weekends, but I have no other time.

N
9:32 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I been approved on feb 10-2015 ssi paper work recive phone # givin to me is 434-865-0851 I been waiting on my phone to come scence feb 10-2015 to 3081Danieltown Rd Dundas va 23938 secnce feb 10 it is now april 21-2015 and still have not receive my phone please help me recive my phone I did the wait 10 to 15 business days at least five times they ask me to...

SafeLink Wireless - no phone ever received

I applied last mo. For a free cell phone and service using safelink, 250 min /per mo.
Based on my low income. I was approved
I then mailed in all the requested proofs, ss card etc
I never rec'd the phone or servie within l0 bs days as promised
When ive called, I get told to call a dif #, so far 4 numbers and they are foreignors
And cant understand english
This is wrong

Dec 22, 2014 7:39 pm

SafeLink Wireless - Rotten survive

This is a company that offers 250 minutes per month of free ceel phone use. This would be great for many users if the phone really worked in your home or apartment when you need to use it.in my case for nearly three years, I can't use this phone at all inside of my apartment. It says, no service, has no bars and unregistered sim card. Repated phone calls to safe link to have this corrected - to this date haven't been done. Four and a half hours on the phone with there tec support on monday afternoon of inputing codes, take out battey and sim card over and over again, never sloved the problem. Same thing tuesday of over an hour on the phone again with there tec support and the exact same results. Was told that I would receive a new phone number with a different carrier and that didn't happen also. Very poor and rotten customer service on there part and people that can't speak good english, poor sound, noise in background and agents that talk way to fast to understand them. Yes, it is a free service to those that quality for it and it would be nice to have if it worked just 90% of the time when needed.

6:47 am

SafeLink Wireless - website application process / customer service

I lost my phone in the process of moving across states. Once situated, I contact tech support for assistance May 29, 2014. The phone had been deactivated and I could not remember the telephone. I spent 17 hours, Sat.-Sun., with 7 different reps from tech support. Despite providing all essential info for tech support reps to access my account, they were unable to provide telephone number from records. The 4 supervisors I spoke to were ineffective as well. They provided telephone numbers and instructions that were dead-ends. I actually demanded that reps remain on the phone with me while I walked through the instructions or called the numbers they suggested to prove my point to them. They were providing misleading information and hanging up without any regards to the "disconnect" the end-users are experiencing. They're getting paid to do a service that leads to dead ends are offer little assistance to the customer.

After going through every option provided by automated phone, I finally found a rep to assist me. He canceled service under the old number and remained with me while I re-applied online, uploaded necessary document and was told phone would arrive 7-10 business days.

After 14 days, I returned to website to check status of application only to find the document was rejected. I uploaded the documents a second time, waited a week and returned to website only to discover the document was rejected a second time. I spent an addition 4 hours trying to reach enrollment to discuss the rejection. I eventually spoke to another arrogant and demeaning rep who stated that I uploaded the wrong document. So, I uploaded a different document which I just discovered has also been rejected.

I have been in contact with many tech support and enrollment reps in this process. I have also contacted the corporate office in Florida and was rudely transferred back into the same dysfunctional system I had navigated a series of times. There is no physical store to walk in and get assistance. Tech support, enrollment reps and corporate are all very arrogant, rude, demeaning in their conversation, all lacking professionalism, communication and interpersonal skills.

Outsourcing may save big bucks for companies and provide job security for those in other countries but it gravely lacks efficiency for those in USA who qualify for, have worked for and are entitled to certain government benefits offered to the elderly, sickly and disadvantaged.

It's been well over a month now and despite my application "approval" and all my efforts to upload necessary documents to complete the process and obtain a phone, I still do not have a Safelink (SafeSTINK) Wireless. Everything about this program smacks of a scam.

I have filed a complaint with the FCC which probably fell on deaf ears, fell into a black hole or sitting in a stack of papers on someone's desk. I suppose my next move is to try to locate an advocate to assist in this process.

Frankly, I'm quite disturbed about having uploaded my personal information into a website where the company and their system is so damn dysfunctional. I have no idea who received this information, where this information has landed, who has reviewed it and what happens with this information now that it's been rejected.

If there is anyone who can address my concerns or can provide assistance with this issue, it would be greatly appreciated. I need this phone for medical reasons and I qualify for this program.

Thank You!
July 2, 2014

11:17 am

SafeLink Wireless - rude chat and phone agents

Very rude chat and phone agents they hire: Here is a copy of a transcript that taken place on June 13th: Angel has entered the session.
barbara would like to cancel application for service

Angel: Hello Barbara. Thank you for visiting SafeLink Wireless.
Angel: Okay, please bear with me.
Angel: Upon checking, it shows that your application has been rejected.
Angel: For further assistance, please contact SafeLink Wireless Enrollment Department at 1-800-977-3768. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday to Saturday from 8:00 AM to 10:00 PM EST and Sunday from 8:00 AM to 7:00 PM EST. Thank you for chatting with SafeLink Wireless.
Angel has exited the session.
You are the only user left in the session.

Anglel, then just ended the chat. That's how they did me several times. The phone agents were from Indian or Asia and hung up on me on several occasions. They treat customers in poor fashion just because its a free service. Shame on you SafeLink Wireless.

B
Jul 02, 2014 6:46 pm

lady was unwilling to keep trying to help...gave multiple excuses for my phone not working correctly...gave no solutions...asked me to hang-up...I didn't...she did.

This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

As I am typing this complaint I am still on hold for 3rd time!! Initially I called Safelink because I received several texts and email messages stating that I have not use my minutes this month. Odd... cuz I already used half of my minutes issued by Safelink. I explained the nature of my call and come to find out my enrollment was cancelled as of 3/11/2014...

10:33 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

Safelink a division of Tracfone is an absolutely terrible company. I know this is a "lifeline" program but they suck OUT LOUD!!! I have been trying to port a Tracfone# that I have had for years to these guys and after 2 months and 3 sim cards they still can't do it. I am turning these rip off artists over to my local Dept. of Welfare who oversees thi...

U
4:43 am
This review was chosen algorithmically as the most valued customer feedback.

I have a safelink phone provided by tracfone, on Jan. 3 2014, my phone went into the roaming mode while I was away from my home and the message "not allowed " was displayed when any call was attempted. Called customer service from my landline the next day and was informed that my phone seemed to be working at that time and there was nothing they could do. I...

9:30 am

SafeLink Wireless - rip off

These people are a bunch of thieves. They stole 1324 minutes from me that I had paid for on my tracfrone before it became a Safelink phone. I was told before joining Safelink that those minutes would not be affected but any safelink minutes would not rollover unless I purchased airtime. That was a LIE. Because I did not buy additional airtime they took my 1324 minutes and knocked me down to 250 minutes. Customer service is worthless. They are all in India and you can't hardly understand them. They are unapologetic thieves and liars.

Update by stexasdave
May 02, 2013 11:04 am

My complaint has been completely resolved. After posting a comment on customerservicescoreboard.com a Safelink rep posted a reply asking me to contact them to help fix my problem. Safelink customer service monitors that site. The email address [email protected] is a good address. I emailed them this morning with a complete account of my problem and within a couple of hours my minutes had been fully restored. I thank Sean at Safelink for solving this problem for me.

4:38 am

SafeLink Wireless - safelink benefits scamming elderly and the usa government

SafeLink, P.O. Box 220009, Milwaukie, OR, 97269-0009, 18007233546 send an application to provide a wireless phone and a package in exchange to Lifeline benefits provided by the US government to SSI receivers. The promised phone never arrive and in September, AT&T, my land line provider discontinued the Lifeline credit to my account. After repeated attempts to contact SafeLink on the provided numbers which took me to a wireless provider that never answered my call, I received today a request from them for verification to comply to a FCC request and a new number (above). I called and required to cancel the account and refund the money (17, 99) for the months of September, October and November to me or the government and send a letter of confirmation of account cancel + money refund. The customer service, followed by the supervisor Wall Albert (both seemed Indian accent), first denied they owe any money and refused to send a confirmation letter, giving the cancelation number 9339209. Scam?

5 comments
O
Dec 16, 2015 1:17 pm

scarykat has no idea what they are talking about. He/She can have no idea of the circumstances of each person that needs Safelink or their competitor's phone.
I, for one, had to move to another part of the state to care for my elderly mother and lost all my customers. I rarely have time to fix things around her place and do not, because I live in GA, get paid to care for her like in other states. Family cannot be paid as caretakers in GA. I'm sure there are many disabled folk and whatever other circumstances, like corporations, banks, lending companies, stock houses and politicians that all contributed to the crash of George Bush the 2nd's economic crash that still haven't been able to recover economically. You need to feel the pain and walk in others' shoes before painting users with a negative broad brush. People like you make intolerance grow in this country, that used to help their neighbors and strangers in need.
My only problem with Straight Talk is that their system can't tell that I Do use my phone every month and they incessantly communicate with me, via email, text messages and postal mail, telling me to use my phone at least once a month. They even start threatening to take my service away. 350 minutes per month is a good safety net for me to contact my mother or her me, when I'm away from home or if my transportation should break down and I need to call a tow truck which can take many minutes of phone use if you've ever had to call one in a highly populated metro area.
Update your systems, Tracfone/Safelink to see that people Are using their phones and stop the harassment please.

Mar 19, 2014 12:55 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

Just complain of face book. They will fix it within minutes. Instead of calling the call center in India. No under you guys need a free cell. Can't think for yourself. You don't pay, yet you want great customer service. Don't tell me about your tax money. You don't pay tax... lol you should thank god for America you would die in other countrys. this is not for ssdi ppl this is for the fat nasty ppl i see on the bus talking into the cells acting as if they entitled to everything free

N
Jan 17, 2014 5:50 pm

I see so many people complaining on here, but I don’t think you guys are going to the right people to get help. Some of my family members have a SafeLink phone. Every time something is wrong with it, we send an email to this address and the people working these emails are wonderful. Try it. The email address is [email protected] Send them your name, cell phone number or serial number and they will help you.

Jan 11, 2014 9:33 am

I never had a problem with them. However, for one poster - you can only have ONE discounted phone service. If you get the Safelink wireless, they will not give you the discount on the land line. You have to pick which one you want. However - I would suggest if you have cable type internet and not dial up, you look into the internet based phone services for your landline. Try Basictalk at $9.99 a month plus tax (like $13) . That way you can get your Safelink for free and a cheap landline. I suggest you DO NOT get Vonage - their rates may be good to start, but they seem to keep go up all the time!

Jan 11, 2014 9:17 am
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

I'm in the same boat and have no phone since Aug. 2013 until present day! A rep from India picks up the phone and claims to mail me ALL THE NECESSARY FORMS and that all I have to do is mail or fax (fax is faster 2-3 business days!) with proof of Medicaid or food stamps and they'll reactivate my phone, but wait! NO, they DON"T! I've been in circles with these people for 6 months and they deliberately DON"T mail you anything, or if they do and you follow directions and mail it back to them - then they claim they don't receive! I've tried reapplying at least 10 times and faxed forms Jan. 6th and received a confirmation that the fax went through ok, but guess what? Again I have these Indian accent reps telling me that they didn't receive it for the 10th time, hanging up on me when I get upset, denying me their names or the supervisor to speak with or making up excuses about something missing after I've spent 6 months talking to them at least 50 times! I have complained to the commissioner of my city and recently filed FCC complaint about them on false advertising...I HATE SAFELINK WIRELESS!

B

SafeLink Wireless - bad service

I have called safelink several times and my cell number says 571480-0479 yet it only retrieves calls by this number of 5712284596. My number is suppose to be 571 480-0479. It is a replacement phone, old phone returned and the cell number is not correct and I am missing doctor calls, and medical rides for the 2 numbers. Please my number is to be 571480-0479; 09814103255207771776 is my sim number and phone serial is012517000533520. Please correct or advise. One tech said a new sim card is the answer, yet in the meantime I am missing important calls;
Sincerely, Beverly Osborn

3 comments
Feb 14, 2022 11:39 am

Lorraine Wallen Suffolk, Va US

Feb. 14, 2022

not receiving minutes after I have paid for them TWICE with my debit card and the money deducted from my checking acct. 7 hours talking to people who do not know what they are doing, being transferred and then dissconnected

Apr 02, 2014 8:27 am

I am complaining about safelink service. I do not like the fact that my personal information is across seas. I have been trying to get my minutes added to my phone and I am angry about the problem I have had. I have dialed a least six numbers, and been put on hold a number of times. I have had call backs. I was given a enrollment I D # and told to call one of the many numbers an to let them know the number an my time will be added. Today, I am told I have to do another application. I as told this will be approximately a full month with no service. I spoke to a man who says I need to redo my application. I am about, I mailed what I was asked to and now I will have no service. What is wrong with this company? Is it legal, are there no one in the United State's to speak with?

O
Oct 03, 2012 1:28 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

regarding the suggestion to: " Email them at [email protected] "

well, my experience was that THAT email is NO LONGER valid (i.e. "UNDELIVERABLE" )
The Safelink email servers BOUNCED any emails sent to that address!

This Safelink Wireless outfit has gone to extreme lengths to prevent any human interaction with applicants or customers!
Now that is a FRIGHTENING business model for a quasi-governmentally supported service provider!

btw: I applied last month ; NO phone; NO communications

SafeLink Wireless - cell phone product causing problems

Safelink is providing free goverment sponsored cell phones to individuals on foodstamps. I have received over 30 calls within the past two weeks from individuals who received these preowned phones. They stated that my phone number appeared as a missed call on their phone that they had just turned on and called me. I did not call them and these calls were from various states. I'm located in the Augusta, GA area. My internet provider could not help me as they are not involved with people who are calling. I'm tried calling Safeline but they don't provide a phone number. This is extremely bothersome and I don't know how to correct this. I don't want to change my phone number. How did safelink do this and why weren't this phones cleaned up prior to sending them out?

2:16 am

SafeLink Wireless - customer service

The reason for this is that they don't know how to provide customer service and fix the problem instead they ask the same questions three to five times over. I am currently having an issue with not getting my minutes on time. I guess what they normally give me a code now a service agent decided to fix the problem and screwed it all up that now the codes are not acceptabel. Don't they know that they the population of people that they provide phones are mentally challenges, low income an they need to have these services available. I will not stop until I report this to the government. If a service will be provided for this population, please provide good system with phone. Not everytime the phone is lost or broken a new phone is created. I am currently with them on line still have not fix my problems and now an error message has been calling back and waiting on the line for another 3 hrs. I will really bring this to the attention of the government.

G
Jun 22, 2014 8:27 pm

Please bring the customer service jobs back to America. Every time I call I get someone that I can barely understand and at the same time they have the worst attitude. I have called three times with the same problem and talked to three different agents that were all rude. Each one advised me to do the same thing over and over again and it still didn't work. I can handle the fact that they didn't know what they were doing but to be rude and have a nasty attitude when providing customer service is unacceptable.

M
3:38 pm

SafeLink Wireless - very poor service

I was grateful to to receive free cell phone service from Safelink. My first phone had such bad reception my friends would say Ill call you back after 1 minute. They replaced that phone, but the next one was just the same. I called agin and asked if it could be the service not the phone and was told yes and then hung up on. I wonder if this isn't a scam to get government money. I want nothing to do with them and wish I knew how to report them to the ones who fund them. two words

4 comments
W
Jan 15, 2015 11:10 am

My mother has a safelink phone and the battery wont hold a charge. I have spent the last hour on the phone trying to talk to some one with no avail. There is no one to talk to anywhere on that customer service line. We will not buy a replacement battery when she has only had the phone a few months. Please help me resolve this problem. She is 90 and needs this phone to work.

Dec 31, 2011 12:36 am

I have been with "Safelink" ?, for about 2 years and for that entire time they have without fail stolen minutes from my phone service. Each and every time they expect me to call them from another phone and spend hours going through a bunch of different codes and then try and argue that my phone is working just fine. They never refund the minutes that they steal from you. The latest scam they pulled on me was while I was away from home, which they knew because the phone has a GPS system on it, I had 843 minutes on my display of the balance of minutes I had left. The next thing I knew, the display of minutes disappeared. The next call I made briefly showed that my balance of minutes had gone from 843 down to 744 (99 minutes gone). The call I made lasted 19 minutes. I called customer service to complain and they said that they could not help me because I was not at another phone to call them from and go through their scam again, which would be the 7th time I had gone through the code BS. This company is criminal and stealing a great deal of our governments money and with no remorse for the disabled or elderly.

Nov 02, 2011 7:52 pm
Verified customer This comment was posted by a verified customer. Learn more

sent in form to safelink.checked on it and they said there was some sort of problem name is lee zimbler.

Sep 10, 2011 11:23 pm

I have safelink and i have to call sometimes for them to put my minutes on. I feel that it is free and they get it done so I am cool with the phone. They do not have to give us a phone at all. That just me.

W
8:16 pm

SafeLink Wireless - poor service&productðics

For a federal program the government does not oversee and administer this service at all. It is simply forgotten and subcontracted to Trac Fone who runs a shoddy program bereft with problems, poor service and unethical policies that take advantage of the poor and disabled. Instead of providing free customer service the user is charged for service calls despite knowing there are limited minutes available and clients would have few if any extra funds for buying more. All your service calls are outsourced overseas along with those ph rep jobs and run through foreign countries where representatives would have indecipherable accents for the disabled American clients trying to communicate with them. Then the process requires repeatedly trying to confirm multi digit enrollment and serial numbers which inevitably are incorrect in attempts to confirm with said ph reps each time repetitiously. A typical service call could last up to an hour or even 2 before getting something done if at all, (never mind all the stalling tactics like call menus, holds and repeated transfers in between). This is assuming the customer does not end the call in frustration first w/o resolving any issues. This service is also known to resend old voice mails and txt that were deleted months ago in oder to scam the client into picking them up and wasting more mins. Its disconcerting to receive a message you thought was new from your family and maybe sounds potentially important yet is meaningless. Also, instead of offering one, two or even five cent text charges; the company whacks these low income people for up to a full min charge per txt. Of course this is all designed to burn up the limited mins that were available to begin with so Trac Fone can try to sell low value over priced {60 min/$20 dollar calling cards}. Buy a couple of these a month and you might as well pay the full (give or take) $40 it would cost for a real plan with extended mins and a quality phone with a quality service and features. If that were an option, people would not be using this horrible service to start with. Of course this is just fine with the GOP and stingy tightwad tax payers, (offended to pay a few dollars extra per mo for universal service)- 'who can't stand it that disadvantaged people might actually have some lifeline communications'. The whole program is a sham because the gov does not properly oversee it, allowing Trac Fone to scam the oppressed. A full Congressional Investigative committee should be examining the farce that is Safe Link phones for the needy.

SafeLink Wireless contacts