Royal MailRoyal mail agent fraud

On September 8 2009, I ran into a Craigslist ad for 2 Taylor Swift concert tickets to be held in Dallas, Texas for September 25. I replied to the ad and was really interested because they were going at a great price for good seats. A "Rebecca Sophias" replies to my email and says they are still available but her and her husband are in Scotland for their honeymoon and won't be able to make it to the concert. She said if I wanted to buy them she had found this delivery service company (Royal Mail) in UK that could do next day delivery so that I could receive the tickets on time for the concert, she said if I still wanted them she wouldn't collect the money until after I go to the concert. It sounded like a good plan because I wanted to make sure they were real. She said if I agreed to email her back so that she can email me how the situation will work. So, I did. She told me that she will sign up with Royal Mail and give them the tickets and that Royal Mail will email me a confirmation and my tracking number and what not. Well then I receive an email from Royal Mail, I read everything and Royal Mail said I would have to send the money to the Royal Mail agent ("Mary Cooper") through Western Union and that once she confirms that I sent the money, Royal Mail will send me the tickets and after I receive them I have 30 days to decide if I am satisfied with my parcel. If I am satisfied, I would have to email Royal Mail and let them know that I am satisfied so that they can release the money to Rebbeca Sophias.
It is September 23 at 11:25 PM and I still have not received the tickets. They were suppose to get to me last Wednesday or Thursday. I tried emailing Rebecca Sophias and she will not reply to my emails nor will Royal Mail. I went to the Royal Mail website and emailed every email address I found, Still no answer! I also called every phone number on the Royal Mail website and some of the numbers are not a working number and the rest go to a voice recorder! I called Western Union and they said that Mary Cooper had already picked up the money the following day that I sent it off and that they will not be able to refund me my money since she received it and all I could do was file a fraud complaint so that this "Mary Cooper" will not be able to pick up money from Western Union again! Its so upsetting that people out there will do such a scam like this. I mean come on! I feel really dumb doing my mistake, but I trusted her and she seemed really nice. I'm a young girl at 20, and I do not know what to do now! Does anyone have any suggestions? Please HELP!!

• 01
    01782malcolm Jan 24, 2011

you are lucky, i am still waiting. I have made that many complaints to Royal mail by phone, Email and by RD.post. All i have had is the push of and what do you want us to do and its you problem not ours. And know apologise. They have come up with wrong address - was not post (Evan through i have proof that it was and had the right address). So as they have not answer or apologise from them, only ball S++T . So now it in the hands of lawyers and lets see if they can get any were as i can not.

• Fr
    fromMaine Jan 24, 2011

I recieved my kids christmas gift from their parents today sealed up in a plastic royal Mail appology bag. There were no contents only a shredded bag and remenants of Christmas paper. I know the contents were of no great monatary value but another disapointment for their grandparents. I say again because this is the second time this has happen. The first time (Christmas a year ago) was money sent by registered mail to be signed by the recipient, it never arrived. We are also waitng for another package from the UK that was ordered long before Christmas, still no sign of it.
    Although this time they were thoughtful enough to appologize I can't help but wonder what happened to the prior registered letter.
    The worst part of the whole thing is my parents disapointment at the grandkids never receiving gifts that they sent. As we live so far apart this is very important to them. I tell them to just send a card but still they feel frustated and sad they can't send anything in a parcel in fear it will get stolen or go missing.

• 01
    01782malcolm Jan 10, 2011

This is just to let everyone that use Royal Mail in the Stoke on Trent. Just be aware that your post will not be delivered. Letter that i have put in the post that were sent by Record and Special deliver, have not got to were they were sent. i have sent five by record deliver and four by special deliver. They were posted between the 7/8/2010 and 3/12/2010, and not one got to were they were going. They have come up with excuses that are be on belief. (ie they were not post - and you have proof postage - there was know pick up on that day - sent to the wrong office - bad weather - and best of all van brock down in transit).
    so all be a were of post offices and sorting offices around Stock that someone has sticky fingers

• Am
    Amieeee Jul 23, 2010

TOTAL SCAM. Never trust a website/ email/ anything from the UK!! I get fake checks in the mail from UK, and fake emails all the time about a HUGE INHERITANCE.

The reason for this post, is because I also just emailed someone regarding concert tickets on Craiglist! They were the BEST SEATS FOR THE CHEAPEST $. 1ST RED FLAG.

2ND RED FLAD...ROYAL MAIL WEBSITE.

3RD RED FLAG...NOT AVAILABLE TO HAND DELIVER THEM OR SEND ME A PIC. THEY'RE OUT OF STATE RIGHT NOW

4TH FLAG...EMAILS COMING FROM UK WITH UK NUMBERS AND FAX NUMBERS WITH A FAKE FLIGHT ATTENDANT SIGNATURE.

I'm glad I found your posting about your experience. I'm so sorry you got screwed out of your tickets, but you saved me from doing the same!!! So for that, I thank you.

• Fe
    ferndean Mar 21, 2010

I just got scammed on Taylor Swift tickets in pretty much the same way as the first person on this list. One of the things that amazed me is that the criminals involved were able to spoof the Royal Mail site and domain in their emails so well. This seems to be a pretty sophisticated operation. But I guess taking in several hundred bucks a lot of times can add up to a lot of money.

Best to heed what Craigslist says:

NEVER WIRE FUNDS VIA WESTERN UNION, MONEYGRAM or any other wire service - anyone who asks you to do so is a scammer.

DEAL LOCALLY WITH FOLKS YOU CAN MEET IN PERSON - follow this one simple rule and you will avoid 99% of the scam attempts on craigslist.

Hope other people read this and are more careful than I was. I was totally ripped off.

Nobby82 Mar 18, 2010

I had the same issue over Real Estate as Bb03. The supposed owner was called Henry Harnage instead of Una. The second email he sent me was worded exactly the same as Bbo3's post. I called Western Union this morning and they indicated to me that they don't have special business accounts setup for any company by the name of Royal Mail. The property owner was also claiming to be in Italy till 2013. The fact that the second email didn't even contain any response to questions and concerns I had about the property made me suspicious.

I was going to wait until 9am London time to call Royal Mail and ask them about the service proposal 'Henry' had sent me before I was going to commit to anything but stumbled across this in a google search.

When I was looking through the Royal Mail website, I noticed that all international postage was only tracked up until the point that it left the UK. There is also no indication of any sort of Royal Mail 'Holding' offices in any countries. I've never seen them around Australia in any state.

From my own experiences with this situation so far, and from what I've seen here, it's clear that these are sophisticated scam methods.

• Ha
    happy172 Feb 10, 2010

It sounds like the same situation im in. There was this mac book pro that seemed to good to be true. And that person told me almost the same exact thing. That there would be a third party involved and he would not receive the money until I released the payment. Your email was very useful to me saved me 1300. I hope it will help many others.

• Bb
    Bb03 Jan 25, 2010

Excellent I'm so glad you posted this. It has made it's way to trustworthy real estate sites in Melbourne Australia. They take the keys to Italy ect and want to send via royal mail but you don't get the keys until you pay western union!!! Having never heard of western union I thought wow that's odd is this even trustworthy and what a big ask to ask me to pay rent and bond before I have the keys to check. Most agents ask for money to cover lock change if keys are not returned. So then I goggled and found yours and others like yours. You all saved me two thousand aus dollars I thank god fir you.
    Here was my email
    Hello,
    I will be in rome until march 2013, so if it's possible i would rent it
    for that period of time.

It's 170 per week for the apartment, the rent included all
    utilities, Gas/Electricity/Dishwasher/Telephone/Cable/Internet.You
    should pay first 1 month rent + BOND so the total amount will be 1480.

The contents of the shipment you will be expecting are;

1. Bunch of keys to the property.

2. Documents containing the lease agreement and property description,
    including the property address.

3. Rent receipts and damage deposit receipts.

Like I said, I will pay for a 2 days delivery so you will receive the
    Keys and the contract signed by me right away.I will explain to you
    step by step how this will work .

1) First you will have to send me your full name and address. I will
    need them for the shipping and papers.

2) I go to the Royalmail store and leave the Keys and the contract
    onto your name as the intended receiver.

3) Royalmail will check the envelope to see if everything is OK with
    it and also the legal papers that will come along with the Keys.

4) Royalmail will send you a delivery notification to let you know
    they have the Keys and the papers in their custody.

5) At this point you will have to go to a Western Union Agent

Location and make a money deposit on the Royalmail payment agent name
    for the amount  we agreed (first month + 800 bond deposit) .

6) After you make the deposit you will have to send the info about the
    money deposit to Royalmail (MTCN, sender's name and address)

7) Royalmail will verify the payment informations and if everything is
    in order they will deliver the Keys and the contract to you .

8) After you receive the package, You will go and check the apt and
    in 2 days you must contact them and tell them if you keep the apt or
    not, if all is in order you will instruct Royalmail to send me the
    informations about the money deposit and I will be able to receive the
    funds . If you don`t like the apt they will send your money back to
    you and you will send them the keys and the contract to them.

I will pay Royalmail for the shipping and you will pay Western Union
    for the Money Transfer fee .

Let me know if we can do this.

Best Regards Una.

• Fa
    Fabulous Sep 24, 2009

Actually I'm sorry, mail carries never email you at all. Unless you go to their personal website and put that you'd like to be e-mailed everytime a tracking change happens to whatever package you're tracking. They only person they e-mail is the sender, but only if the sender asks through the website to come pick up the parcel at her home for shipping.

• Fa
    Fabulous Sep 24, 2009

You got scammed.

If you take the time to read this: http://miami.craigslist.org/about/scams
    this will explain it to you better.

Never, ever trust anyone who suggests Western Union. This is just like those 419 Scams where the Nigerians e-mail you for promising you something [money in their case] but ask you for a transfer through Western Union. Scammers use Western Union because it leaves no trace and they can give out fake names and fake addresses so when you go complain, your money is lost forever.

Also the typical "Oh we're not home right now, we're at [UK, Lodon, Scotland, anything other than where they say they're from]" is a common excuse with these scammers to take your money. Also, you should have seen a red flag go up when she told you to send payment but said "Oh don't worry, I won't cash it until you go to the concert." Did you honestly believe that? I'm not trying to be a burden here just helping you realize your mistake.

Also you must remember when the sender uses a postal carrier, THEY email you first but they'll never ask you to send payment to them. It's the sender who pays them and its your money that helps pay for everything.

Total scam.