RCN Telecom Services Logo

RCN Telecom Services

Having problems with RCN Telecom Services?

RCN Telecom Services reviews first appeared on Complaints Board on Dec 27, 2007. The latest review bogus pricing, interruption of service was posted on Sep 5, 2018. The latest complaint bogus pricing, interruption of service was resolved on Sep 05, 2018. RCN Telecom Services has an average consumer rating of 4 stars from 26 reviews. RCN Telecom Services has resolved 18 complaints.

RCN Telecom Services Customer Service Contacts

+1 800 746 4726 (Customer Service)
+1 877 726 7000 (Business Services)
196 Van Buren St Ste 300
Thu24h
Fri24h
Sat24h
Sun24h

ComplaintsBoard.com is not affiliated, associated, authorized, endorsed by, or in any way officially connected with RCN Telecom Services Customer Service. Initial RCN Telecom Services complaints should be directed to their team directly. You can find contact details for RCN Telecom Services above.

Use this comments board to leave complaints and reviews about RCN Telecom Services. Discuss the issues you have had with RCN Telecom Services and work with their customer service team to find a resolution.

RCN Telecom Services Complaints & Reviews

RCN — Customer Service

RCN has got to have the absolute worst Customer Service (if one can even call it that) on the planet Earth...

RCNRCN Customer service

RCN is by far the worst cable provider I've ever dealt with. I was put on hold for an hour and still couldn't cancel my service. The friggin sales department on the other hand picks up your call in less than 20 seconds.

Don't even consider it as an option. If RCN is the only option, move somewhere else... Seriously, it's that bad!!!

• Un
      UNKNOWN May 18, 2009

HELLL RCN IS BAD SERIVE AND THE CUSTOMERS SERVICE IS VERY RUDE THEN I TOLD THEM I WOULD COMPLAINT TO THE GOVERNMENT THIS GUY THEN SCARE SO AFTER THEN I TALKED TO SUPERVISOR. BAD BAD BAD SERVICE DON'T GET RCN STAY OUT FROM RCN

• Bo
      Bob Vance Dec 02, 2008

They have NO representative in the US... Not in Billing, Tech Support or Customer Service. But (surprise) their sales representative are in the US. If you want ANYTHING done you have to yell at these people and complain enough to talk to a manager (located offshore) and they can give you SOMEWHAT accurate information about your account and why your service is not working (which is also HORRIBLE.) Most of the time if you want to get a technician out you feel like you're' pulling teeth and then when they finally put out a workorder it takes at least 3-5 days to get a guy out there. Thats a LONG time to go without cable, internet or phone.

RCN took over our building 2 years ago so we are all stuck with this lousy company. I have at least 10 friends that CAN'T STAND their customer service and would rather go without cable than deal with this headache.

DO NOT use this company. I am paying more money now to step outside of my building's contract to go with an American-based company and its TOTALLY worth it! Essentially I'm still paying for RCN (through my assessments) but I would rather pay them and not use their service than to EVER have them as my provider again.

STAY CLEAR OF RCN!!!

Joan Murtagh Nov 24, 2008

ABOMINABLE SERVICE. NO RESPECT FOR CUSTOMERS. FAILURE OF TECH TO FIX PROBLEMS-- NO PHONE FOR MORE THAN WEEK. MORE THAN FOUR HOURS SPENT ON CELL PHONE HOLDING OVER THE PAST 7 DAYS.

• Se
      sean Oct 01, 2008

Rcn is the worst they are really really are unreal do not sign up with RCN save your time and pay more with another company because RCN signs you up and then gives you the run around . plus all there tech support is in the phiplines I really never have been on hold so many times and I am talking days for help and still no help

RCNAwful customer service

I'm not sure even where to begin but just want to be sure my opinion of this absolutely awful customer service is logged onto the web somewhere. I had called in the beginning of July to request a shut off date of 7/31 because I was moving.

I came home on 7/17 to no channels above 11. Called the technical support # on my bill & was told that I had no cable because of a pending work order for termination & I needed to call billing in the morning because they may have terminated it early in error.

I called billing in the morning & was told that my acct looked fine, I'd need to call technical support. I called technical support again & spk with someone who went thru LOTS of different steps to try to correct my issue. From unplugging everything, making sure things are "tight", holding my power button for 5 seconds, waiting for it to turn on & off (which it never did) sending a signal to my box, then sending "the strongest signal" to my box which could take 15 minutes to 2 hours to work. I'd have to call back in 2 hours if it didn't' work & start the explanation process all over again. Oh & by the way, once we tried all her special tricks I ended up with no channels at all never mind only 11. She also told me that "they removed the most important part of your package. The premium channels" I explained nothing should have been removed & this was an error. She rudely came back at me stating she could put it back for a $48 activation fee. She said I'd need to speak with billing about the fee if I didn't agree but there'd be a charge. I then called billing & was told that this person did see something on my acct not the premium issue but that I was on the recent "crush list." (a list of people with analog boxes, which I did not have) She said "you were part of the crush, but shouldn't have been part of the crush, but actually haven't been crushed yet.

I'll email the team handling this." She couldn't give me a timeframe that I'd have my cable back on. Since this was 7/18 (no cable for 2 days already)and I was scheduled to move & end service on the 31st anyway, I then asked to terminate service effective immediately instead as it wasn't worth waiting to see when they could fix it. I then had to speak w/"Darla" in the termination dept who was really helpful & understanding. She said she'd "end the billing as of 7/18 & then put in a backdated adjustment for 2 days back to the 16th." She told me to return the equipment asap so there'd be no problems receiving credit. She gave me her # & I forgot to write down her extension. BIG MISTAKE! Returned everything the next day, Saturday.

Received 2 more bills after this even though I had already paid thru 7/20 before any of this even happened. I called today & was told to speak with billing. The billing rep couldn't do anything for me because I "was being billed still because there is a 10 notice required for service termination requests" so when asking for a supervisor she said she'd call her "lead billing team" After another lovely lengthy hold came back to tell me that they'll credit my acct $23 which will go back to 7/19 the date that I returned my equipment. "Leaving a balance of $23." Not understanding how I could have a balance due & was not due back $, I had to ask for a supervisor. "Only 2 were taking calls so it will be a long hold." After quite sometime then got the rudest person yet. She claimed to "not be stupid" and "when she was able to read notes that matched what I was saying she'd then be able to help me" "You've already received a lot of credit. They even credited you for your prorated month 7/28-8/20"

She kept saying there was "no call on 7/16"...I know this but she couldn't get past that to even understand the problem that existed. I asked for her supervisor's name..."we don't give that information out." After rattling off rude, attitude filled remarks and comments she then was angry enough to give in & "get another supervisor because we really aren't going to get anywhere with this." I then spk to Moe the "lead supervisor" who was helpful. He calculated what 3 days of service would be & rounded up to give me "a $5 credit onto my account bringing my balance to..." YEP!! Still not understanding I've already paid thru 7/20, no service as of 7/16 & still owe $????? It REALLY doesn't take a genius here!!

Finally, he realized my point & took additional time to review further & came back advising that he "brought the account to zero and cleared the balance due." Mind you I still paid 4 days of service that I didn't have! Yes it adds up to be a small amount of $ but its more the principle. AND never mind the minutes used making all these calls!! I spent well over 4 hours all together. Just today & the 18th's calls took over 3 hrs!

THIS IS THE WORST SERVICE I HAVE EVER ENCOUNTERED!!! I WILL PAY THE EXTRA $ & BE SWITCHING TO COMCAST.

• Gp
        GPT1 Jun 03, 2011

Relevant dates:
        Last day of contract for bundled service (TV+internet): June 4.
        Paid bill on May 27, for bundled service covering May 5 to June 4.

I agree that RCN customer service is awful! I returned equipment (cable box) yesterday (June 2, 2011) and the agent at the payment center said, "you're missing the modem." I told her my bundled service of TV+Internet will be reaching end of contract in 2 days and I didn't wish to continue the bundle. But I signed up for a new month to month internet after my bundle contract, so I kept the modem. She condescendingly said, "you should have called us." I said, "I did (yesterday, June 1)." Then she checked her records again and said, "oh yea it's here." Just like that, no apologies for snapping at me.

Then today (June 3), I logged in to check my account and I have a bill for $91+ for bundled service from June 5 to July4. I don't want to pay the bill because this is service I do not owe (I don't even have a cable box anymore since I returned it yesterday.) The phone customer service rep said he can't cancel the bill, so I HAVE to pay the bill. I would just be credited with whatever I paid on my next bill (about $45) for the internet (June5-July 4). And I will get another credit for my next bill ($45) for July 5-Aug. 4. Why should I pay them in advance?! I'm not even sure I'd still be at my apartment in 2 months. I might even be moving by this month. Though RCN might credit me for anything I may have overpaid, I don't know how long that would take.

I told the phone rep that I don't want to ignore bills, only to find out I would be slapped with a late fee on my next bill. He said I should just pay the bill. I asked again that he do something about the situation. How ridiculous is it that RCN is asking me to pay a bill not owed? The phone rep said he'll put a note to waive the late fee on my account. We'll see about that on my internet bill by end of the month.

• As
        asadusa May 27, 2009

abbsoultley agree above the meassage simular to my subject rcn people very un profestional and very sorry say that should not be in the bussiness

• Ji
        JimA Apr 20, 2009

Customer service? LOL!! RCN does not offer that or has any idea what that is.

Mark D. Withers Oct 09, 2008

Trying to call RCN is exactly that-trying. Waisted timeon the phone, then the person (from the Phillipines) can barely speak understandable English.
        Recently they changed dial positions of several channels. Two of the channels had a constant schroll accross the bottom of the screen telling where the channel moved - really disrupts viewing - stating the change took place Sept 26. They FINALLY updated their home page channel line up to reflect all the changes Oct 8. The only reason I have kept cable over Satelite is because of the local weather channel and inserted local business commercials inserted into the cable channels. My 2 cents worth.

• Ni
        nicole Sep 16, 2008

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever done. I am scheduled for new service with RCN as I type. My appointment was scheduled between 5:00 - 8:00 p.m. today (9/16/2008). It is currently 9:30 p.m. I am typing this message with one hand because I have RCN on my home and cell phone attempting to find out if the technician is still en-route or not. I have been transferred so many times that it's unbelievable. I was told that he would be here in 45 minutes. That was at 8:10 p.m. It is now 9:40 p.m. (time is ticking as I type) and I am being told that he will be here in 20 minutes. My home phone just went dead. I am going to bed. I will cuss a technician out if he shows up at my house after 10:00 p.m. to install a "Bundle Package". I am going to post this message wherever I can. We need more competition. I can't get satellite because of my location. I just got rid of Comcast. I am frustrated. Is there another option available?

RCN — Bad service

Today, the trend is to shout from the highest mountain that you are service oriented, but rarely follow...

RCNHorror story

I would like to express my dismay and horror at the services that I received from RCN customer service and other departments. I called to add additional telephone lines to my service. I wanted either to port a number from Verizon or use a number that I already had with RCN. It took me more then a month to do this and dozens and dozens of call to RCN. Although very polite, customer service personal was incompetent, completely non-helpful, wrong in most occasions, and distractive by disconnecting my main number that I had for 7 years with RCN.

Many times I spent as long as 4 hours on the phone with RCN being transferred from sales department to customer service to tech support to local care and back to sales dept. Often the representatives hang up or just transferred me to others so I had to start over again. Not a single time I was transferred to a supervisor after my demand. Either supervisor was unavailable or I was transferred elsewhere to a new representative to start over. Many of RCN customer service people assured me that everything is going to work in a short while but that was clearly a lie. Virtually nothing was done correctly and nobody seems to understand me.

Particularly offensive were two people from Local Care who did not respond to any of my requests and numerous calls: Michelle at extension 1167 and Bob at extension 1135. Bob originally promised a promotional deal that will lower my bill and promised an increase of $10 per every additional line. Even with third party verification RCN backed out of this deal. In stead my bill was increased by more than $200.00 per month.

• Se
          Sean Nov 08, 2008

RCN has been charging me for dial-up internet service at 13.95 a month for 8 years. I only use the e-mail and run the it over Comcast and should have been paying 3.95 a month. This is outright theft year after year! I will be contacting the Attorney Generals office about this

• Ko
          Koolio Jun 05, 2008

RCN is freaking pathetic. My credit card number changed and I **cannot** get through to the billing department...or any department for that matter. I've called the two toll-free numbers (800-ringrcn and 877-rcnbill) and it hangs-up on me every time it tries to connect me to the respective department.

What a joke! They can't even get their call center working correctly so I can pay my monthly bills!

RCN — Worst service ever

Today, the trend is to shout from the highest mountain that you are 'service oriented', but rarely...