Complaints & Reviews

I was charged from this company 19.95

Um I dont know what you are but for some reason I was charged $20 for something and I definitely did not sign up for any subscription. I wish to get this resolved as quickly as possible because I believe this to be an act of fraud and would like to get my money back. If this is not possible, I would still like to get this issue resolved in any way possible so please respond quickly.

unauthorized recurring credit card charges

HB *QUESTIA [protected] IL is on online research library that tacks on a reoccurring charge of 99.95 dollars a year until you call the 800 number to cancel. The initial charge happened in Oct. 2016 with continued charges each year on Oct 25 2017, 2018. The reoccurring charge happens even if you purchase just one research article, although it is impossible to find the contract of agreement for a yearly fee. If the article is purchased using your child's school email, as in this case, the agreement is sent to that initiating email account, not to your email on a PayPal account or with a PayPal or credit card charge receipt. Be very distrustful of this company as they refuse to repay any charged fees even if their records show no activity on the account they've created and charged to your credit card. We consider this fraudulent, and deceptive business practices, especially when they victimize an intelligent 13 year old (as is in this case). We had to refute the charges with our credit card today, 11/01/2018, and after calling the 800 number on the statement finding it has been going on since 2016.

• Re
    Reider Jun 12, 2019

HB Questia recently deducted two debit order amounts from my credit card without permission or authorisation.
    I have not purchased anything from them nor have I signed up for a debit order with them.
    This is a scam and involved fraudulent transactions on one's card.
    I have had to stop my card at great inconvenience to myself and now engage with my bank to get the monies refunded.
    This company should not be allowed to operate.

unauthorized billing

7/11 2018 HB Questia [protected] IL Charge $99.95. Not the first time Never use. Would not know how to...

questia scams its customer's

Questia is a scam and they don't assume responsibility for their mistakes. This organization doesn't inform its customers directly about being charged for a monthly subscription when they only sign up for a free trial. Don't make the mistake of signing up for a Questia account. I did and wasn't aware of them charging my bank account for money each month. I was unaware about it and did not receive any e-mails from them informing me of my 'purchases' from them. For me, this is a lesson learned in one of the worst ways possible...be extremely careful in what you sign up for.

definitely not recommended

I signed up for this service and never used it. It was extremely difficult to cancel, the customer service was lousy–and they charged me for an extra year and then refused to refund it, claiming that they never refund anything. That is absolutely rediculous, and very poor business practice. Definitely not recommended.

• Ki
    Killandroe Nov 16, 2010

I signed up for their service and never used it. It was extremely difficult to cancel, their customer service is lousy--and then they charged me for an extra year and refused to refund it. Definitely not recommended.

scam (unauthorized billing)

I've been scammed by Questia as well. I've called and they don't assumer responsibility for anything. I wish I had known about their scam before I signed up for a 24 hr trial. I'm sick of Questia! They should not be functioning anymore. I am planning on exposing Questia's scam to everyone. next Wednesday I am writing to a few news stations. If you guys sent them the same complaint, they could investigate Questia's scams and broadcast it to the people. I guarantee you that once that is done, they won't be in business for much longer.

questiasucks! Jun 09, 2011

I ve been scammed by Questia as well. Ive called and they don t assumer responsibility for anything. I wish I had known about their scam before I signed up for a 24 hr trial. Sure, Questia's agreement allows them to do what they have done. But you have to admit, it's pretty deceptive. Basically, Questia quietly withdraws money from their customer's accounts and relies on their customers' forgetfulness to keep their subscriptions going. Then when customers ask for a refund, they say, 'Oh, but you agreed to this!' I m sick of Questia! They should not be functioning anymore. I am planning on exposing Questia s scam to everyone. next Wednesday I am writing to a few news stations. If you guys sent them the same complaint, they could investigate Questia scams and broadcast it to the people. I guarantee you that once that is done, they won t be in business for much longer. It took 4 months for me to be able to speak to a supervisor, who was always supposedly busy. At first they told me the supervisor does not answer calls, he responds through email. That right there was a red flag. Today I finally spoke to him! He is just as much of a jerk as the other representatives and his tone was disrespectful. How are you going to raise your voice when you are speaking to a customer. Questia complaints go back to 2008 or more and they need to be out of business NOW! I need you to help me do it.

• Ve
    velociraptor Jul 16, 2014

Scammed!! I've been billed twice without my knowledge. This is a case of unauthorized billing and cheating.
    Eventhough I had disabled the account after the 1 day trial, I have been charged for two months $19.95 each.
    The site should be banned and shut down immediately!!
    Questia team - Cheats!

internet scam

• Re
    RealistCommenter Jul 23, 2012

So you forget to cancel, which is completely your fault, and you get mad at the company because they are "quietly" billing you? That's what most renewable subscriptions do, take money out of your account at the designated time. Like my xbox subscription and my magazine subscriptions. When you signed the agreement, did you read it? Or ignore it? When you clicked to agree to their agreement, you gave them the authority to do this, and you slip up and get mad at them for your own error? It's time to take responsibility for your own actions. Next time, read the fine print and when it comes to your money DON'T FORGET.

• Vi
    Vivek Singh Tomar May 06, 2013

Dear Realist Commenter you appears like a paid employee of this online fraud site Questia. And please don't compare this fraud useless website with substandard useless content with legendary and honest Microsoft xbox

Martin1111 Jun 06, 2019

I can confirm these shady business practices. I signed up for Questia, and after 20 minutes, realized that it wasn't what I expected and cancelled my account through their online customer service portal. I did not receive a confirmation of my cancellation, however, and given how short my time as a member had been, I tried calling their customer support number to ask if a refund was possible. I spoke to a member representative who asked me to "confirm" my billing address and phone number, which I did. He then asked me to confirm the CC provider I used. I did. He asked for the expiration date, "strictly for confirmation purposes, " and I complied. But when he asked me for my full credit card number, "just to make sure my refund goes to the right place." When questioned why he would need this information when he ostensibly already had it on file, and told him I had given him plenty of information to draw up my account and issue a refund, he hung up on me.

buyer beware

I signed up for their free trial service. Since I was taking a summer class in World History I needed to find some good sources. I must have used it only a couple of times. By the end of the month I remembered I needed to cancel the service. When I checked they had already billed me again. The first time was fine, since I didn't cancel during the trial period, but the second time was not. I cancelled the service and requested a refund. As others have already complained, they REFUSED!!!

I wonder who's the idiot that owns and runs this company? Why alienate your own customer base? None of the customers who cancelled, got charged and were refused a refund would want to EVER do business with QUESTIA again! I know I NEVER will. Companies with good customer service want to make sure they leave the doors open. Most companies I've dealt with have been courteous enough to honor a simple request and have a charge refunded when it was obvious their services were not being used or if the customer simply forgot to call in on time. It's called a "one time courtesy refund", and it goes a long way in keeping a customer very happy. They usually return in the future knowing they were dealt fairly with, knowing they must cancel before the next billing cycle. The payoff is that the company is referred for having excellent customer service. I always have. I've referred Dell, Verizon Wireless, T-Mobile, Comcast, Vonage, etc, etc, etc to many friends and family who have bought their products or are currently using their services. Talk about a company who's got very near sighted STUPID people at the top as their Executives. They come across as a company whose only concern is to make money no matter at what cost. Their refusal to reimburse a mere $20 ends ups costing them in the long run future revenue. However, they do make sure their $20 charge buys them a load of 'bad' word of mouth. With the internet as a platform, it doesn't take much for a company's reputation to go down the drain pretty quick. BUYER BEWARE!!! DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THIS COMPANY!!! IF YOU RUN INTO A PROBLEM they have the absolute worst customer service!!! I will definitely refer them, as a BAD COMPANY though!

• Ca
    catharin May 19, 2012

I opted for a 1 Day Free Trial with Questia yesterday yet I am unable to access my account since there was no password I could choose. I requested one and they said they would email it to my address but they have emailed nothing so far. I only have a username but no password which makes my account useless. I am currently trying to cancel my subscription (if I don't cancel it in due time they will charge me for an entire month, which was their next option on the list!) but I find it impossible, again, due to my lack of a password. I have written to them and have received no answer so far. My one day so called 'free trial' will be over soon and I could access none of their resources that were supposed to be free!!! This is just incredible!!

have subscription yet cannot access

I have been unable to access Questia website for two weekends now. I have emailed the company and they told me that the problem was with me. Yet I have no internet problems and can access all other websites. I am paying a good subscription to them yet their website is frequently UNAVAILABLE.

unfair trade practises

I purchased a Christmas gift for my daughter of an annual subscription from Questia on Dec 12, 2007. I believed it to be non-renewing. On Dec 11, 2008 Qustia took another annual subscription. On Dec 30, 2008 I cancelled the subscription and requested a refund. I have not received one. Here are my concerns, many which I was not previously aware due to their unfair consumer practices:
1. The questia web site does not permit non-renewing subscriptions - even for one-time gifts.
2. The terms were not presented for review - I was required to enter my visa and other personal information to create the account. This is a different screen because it is a gift subscription. They used this other screen to defend their practises to me, but with gifts there are no terms agreed to!!!
3. I did not receive any advance or post-notice that an amount was to be taken from my visa statement for another annual subscription.
4. I did not authorize a second annual subscription amount to be taken from my visa (although their hidden "terms" say so).
5. The web site does not permit the entry of a "date of cancellation", nor does it provide the user any evidence that they processed a cancellation. There is no cancellation transaction number or transaction date. When I cancelled on Dec 30, 2008 they sent an effective date of Dec, 2009.
6. The web site does not permit a transfer to a monthly subscription, only goes back to the create a new subscription screen
7. As a purchaser I received NO benefit from the advance subscription Questia took from my Visa. THIS IS AN ADVANCE, I or my daughter DID NOT USE THEIR SERVICES AT ALL for the unauthorized [protected] subscription term!! Questia told my Visa the opposite so they could recover the subscription amount that had been reversed.
8. After much negotiation, several cancellation attempts, and many emails questia "offered" what they called a prorated refund of $50.00. The actual prorated amount should be $95.02 if it were based on my cancellation date. As I requested a charge back from my visa(which Visa refused due to the "terms" sent by Questia)Questia said "The prorated refund previously offered is no longer valid as the charges were disputed". I proved to Questia several times, provided VISA docs to them that I had not received a refund from Visa, but they continued to give this same answer.
9. Most concerning, is that I have NO WAY of removing my financial Visa data from the records held at Questia - their web site does not give me access to this information!!
Please assist and protect me and other consumers from the unfair business practices of QUESTIA.

• Je
    Jean Edwards Sep 14, 2009

Nasty way of doing business. I made sure they could not renew my subscription by changing the date my credit card expired and the number of the credit card to a phony one. It worked.

Marvinlee May 18, 2013

I called and cancelled a subscription at 10:00 am, Pacific Standard Time, Saturday, 18 May 2013. The lady at Questia advised that I had legitimately made the subscription but that she would have it cancelled and that I should receive a $93.38 refund within three to five work days. In practical terms, this means for me that the credit should show up in next month's billing from our bank's credit card statement.

I remain mystified as to how I became vulnerable to this large of a charge. Did I sign up under the illusion that I was getting a trial subscription? Was I promised a special incentive, no longer recalled? Sadly, one does not keep exact voice and keyboard records when these things are in their embryo form.

Should the promised refund not appear, I shall repost on these pages.

unauthorized billing

Questia is an online library. It has various subscription plans. Two years ago, I opted for a yearly plan...

In The News

A consumer site aimed at exposing unethical companies and business practices